PDA

View Full Version : Another sad/funny GFWL story

ZIGS
03-02-2012, 05:48 AM
http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/01/31/my-strangest-pc-gaming-problem-yet-ive-lost-games-for-windows-live/

Why don't this piece of software simply disappears? The world would become such a better place, literally millions of lives would improve

Snargelfargen
03-02-2012, 06:47 AM
There are lots of other frustrating clients and drm out there, but GFWL takes the prize for being the most obtuse.

The last time I installed GFWL, it changed the password to my hotmail email account without notifying me. What?

Feldspar
03-02-2012, 10:26 AM
Having the password the same as my hotmail account means I can actually remember it, unlike every other login system (are you listening Atari?), but I still haven't changed the rather abstract player ID it gave me. But, yes, to me it is a rather pointless layer, I've never used it to play online and it takes far too long to log in.

c-Row
03-02-2012, 11:38 AM
The latest issue I ran into with GFWL was that after installing Bulletstorm again, it asked me to exit the game to update the GFWL client - which I couldn't because Bulletstorm apparently needs to log in first before you are taken to the main menu, but that again wasn't possible without updating the client first! Somebody didn't think this one quite through.

JackShandy
03-02-2012, 11:53 AM
I installed games for windows live and woke up three weeks later upside-down in a closet in Buenos Aires. I managed to cobble enough money together from washing cars to call Microsoft support, but I still haven't gotten Arkham City working.

Caleb367
03-02-2012, 03:06 PM
Quick story:
Install Red Faction Guerrilla, Fallout 3, GTA IV and Arkham Asylum.
Have stability and connection issues - curiously absent from other Steam-based non-GFWL titles - and raeg hard.
One rainy evening, I come across a little mod called "xliveless" for GTA IV. I install it. I install it on EVERY single GFWL-infested game.
GFWL disappears.
The sun rises, the rain stops and the birds start singing again.

Smashbox
03-02-2012, 03:14 PM
I have at least two accounts with Microsoft, both using the same email address in some manner, and with no way to reconcile them. This is what happens when you have too many teams not cooperating. Boo.

PeopleLikeFrank
03-02-2012, 03:29 PM
"And so, with the same screwed up face I wear when punching an explosive barrel to see if that ‘works’, I try to manually install Games for Windows Live."

I guffawed heartily.

alset85
03-02-2012, 03:47 PM
One rainy evening, I come across a little mod called "xliveless" for GTA IV. I install it. I install it on EVERY single GFWL-infested game.
GFWL disappears.

Does it really work with every game?

Berzee
03-02-2012, 04:58 PM
I still haven't managed to get Age of Empires Online working. Instead, I just reinstalled AoK. =P

Smashbox
03-02-2012, 05:00 PM
You're not missing much.

fearlessgoat
03-02-2012, 05:01 PM
The latest issue I ran into with GFWL was that after installing Bulletstorm again, it asked me to exit the game to update the GFWL client - which I couldn't because Bulletstorm apparently needs to log in first before you are taken to the main menu, but that again wasn't possible without updating the client first! Somebody didn't think this one quite through.

Bulletstorm had issues for me as well. Says my key is invalid after one install. Got the original box right here as well :(

Miker
03-02-2012, 05:10 PM
I actually had the exact same problem as the PC gamer article. Strangely enough, I solved it by booting up the Games for Windows Live Marketplace before playing Arkham City.

Caleb367
03-02-2012, 09:35 PM
Does it really work with every game?
I can't say neither yes or no for sure. As of now, xliveless worked great with all of these, but I haven't tried it with every GFWL game - Arkham City to mention one. As it's just a .dll, it's easy enough to give a try btw.

siegarettes
03-02-2012, 10:10 PM
I actually had the same problem. It never signed me in the first time, so I chalked it up to it being a Steamworks game. A few plays later it forced me to login. Luckily, I only played for five hours at that point, but it was indeed a terrible experience.

Oh and I had to open GFWL Marketplace to redeem my Steam copies of my dlc. After a few tries trying to see if it would auto update, i figured it wasn't working and did it through the market after getting my keys from the Steam Library. I can only imagine how frustrating it was to others who didnt know how to do that.

R-F
03-02-2012, 10:24 PM
Ah, Great Flaming Wank Live.

alset85
03-02-2012, 11:24 PM
I can't say neither yes or no for sure. As of now, xliveless worked great with all of these, but I haven't tried it with every GFWL game - Arkham City to mention one. As it's just a .dll, it's easy enough to give a try btw.

I had no idea it was so far reaching. The only game I used xliveless on was RFG because it said it was compatible and it didn't even save my settings right.

Caleb367
04-02-2012, 02:05 PM
I had no idea it was so far reaching. The only game I used xliveless on was RFG because it said it was compatible and it didn't even save my settings right.

If I remember good enough - it's been a while - it's better to start from scratch right after applying xliveless. I'm pretty sure there's some way to copy saves and settings from GFWL profiles, but I never tried it.
It works good enough, btw: I've played all of the titles mentioned from start to finish without trouble, and in some cases - Fallout 3 and GTA IV - I noticed respectively an increased stability and better framerate.