PDA

View Full Version : A Tragic Death By MMO, In Taiwan

squirrel
03-02-2012, 04:34 PM
Here is a piece of news from a Taiwan newspaper. It is just a local news so I dont think there will be any English source for the news. For mates from Chinese, sorry you need to set up something to "climb the wall" to read the following link, but any simple trick will work. Damn the media market protectionism.

http://tw.nextmedia.com/applenews/article/art_id/33997910/IssueID/20120203

The report stated that last Tuesday a 23 years old boy in Southern Taiwan died after 23 hours stay in a cyber bar playing Legend of Leagues (I read another report said the game was WOW, no difference to me anyway since I am not familiar with MMOs). The boy did take some short breaks between sessions, but I said "short" given the stay we are talking about is 23 hours. While staff member tried to wake the seemingly sleeping boys, he/she discovered that the body was cold, and therefore he/she gave emergency call, but it was too late. The body maintained game-playing gesture, as you could see from the pictures. Another horrible thing is that the others, around 30 gamers in the very same room with the boy were all indifferent to the incident, remained busy in their own games. According to this report, the boy just lost his job before lunar new year, resignation. Plus actually this poor soul had his own physical health issue. A bag of heart disease medicine was discover.

There are another 5 death cases by online games in the last few years listed at the end the report.

It seems things aren't that bad in western world, but in China, there are many death cases of people playing online games for too long. Those street smart politicians, educators, doctors...... all take those chances to claim that "addiction to online games" has become a social problem that they need to get rid of. And we gamers should be despised of since we let our personal problem to get the best of us. From my observation, however, most gamers over here, including me, are actually rarely enjoying the video games we "are addicted to". We have our difficulties we cannot overcome, and achievement from video games provide satisfaction for us to temporarily escape from the down feeling. Before Internet, we relied on singleplayer games, but that satisfaction was too short to be a fix. Now with Internet, online games are giving us continuous fixing, just like drugs but a legal one. Last year I had almost become one of those being addicted to online game, Bad Company 2. It was just the expensive time rate of cyber bars that kept me away from the addiction (my ISP still doesn't provide a stable connectivity it is obligated to maintain). Bad Company 2 is such an excellent game, that was one factor. But the most important thing is, that last year was simply the depression for my career, so I guess I was just looking for a back door I could run away from my failure in the real world. Now I still cannot find my way out in reality, yet Bad Company 2 is down, and EA just forbids me from playing Battlefield 3...... Sigh, I hope I will still be a living man in the next lunar new year.

Grizzly
03-02-2012, 04:39 PM
MMOs don't kill people, people do...

Smashbox
03-02-2012, 04:49 PM
I'm afraid I'm with Grizzly here. Computer software doesn't kill people.

Berzee
03-02-2012, 04:53 PM
SQUIRREL, don't do it! Stand up and run about, eat a vegetable, build a catapult, take naps; balance these four activities with your games and you may survive sitting in a chair for 23 hours, where this fellow did not.

Taking a critical hit to your career is, anyway, no shameful kind of failure -- blasted troublesome though, no doubt. =\

I am not a stranger to puttering around on the computer and making internet friends and reputations out of a general sense of despondency; but compared to some other ways that you could choose to pass your life in despondency, it seems relatively fairly safe and healthy*. (I guess the best thing would be to develop a reflexive coping mechanism that involves eating salad and doing aerobics...but since playing computer games is mostly just sitting there, it is at least not actively bad for you like excessive drinking or picking fights in unsavory back alleys).

*incidental sleep deprivation excepted

squirrel
03-02-2012, 04:55 PM
I dont know. I live in the East and you live in the West. You have a bright future and I dont. Even Greeks can see the light in the midst of economic confusion, in a bankrupting nation. Yet we are individually bankrupting in a nation you westerners consider to be a bright spot in near future. So what do you think?

Porcupeth
03-02-2012, 05:11 PM
Better than being run over by a truck!... I think.

Berzee
03-02-2012, 05:43 PM
So what do you think?

I think you're playing the wrong kind of computer games. =P Multiplayer FPSes with their endless thrilling-but-temporary victories-and-resetting-maps and emphasis on score are perhaps not the best at translating their particular kind of in-game courage into real-life encouragement. (Similarly MMOs with their everlasting but amost-always-easy progression and loot collection).*

I don't actually know what genres I would recommend in place of them, though; who can say? I am sure I knew some games that really imparted, or at least allowed me to glean or remember, a real life hopefulness while I played them. But I cannot quite recall them now...hm...

*nothing against those genres as Mighty Fun Times, of course =)

Edit: I don't mean to suggest anything so silly as Game Therapy, of course. o_O I only mean to say that when I am feeling gloomy, directionless, or defeated I quite like to read something like Ecclesiastes or play something like...hmm....some old adventure game with an unlikely/unimpressive hero, or perhaps From Dust or something similarly world shaping? That is, however, just me :) and my troubles have always been far less practical than something like economics. So I am talking from very little directly-related experience and I daresay you are handling it better than I could expect to. ^_o

Edit: wait, was he playing League of Legends, or some game I haven't heard of called Legend of Leagues?

Snargelfargen
03-02-2012, 07:18 PM
I dont know. I live in the East and you live in the West. You have a bright future and I dont. Even Greeks can see the light in the midst of economic confusion, in a bankrupting nation. Yet we are individually bankrupting in a nation you westerners consider to be a bright spot in near future. So what do you think?

You could lock a person in a room for 23 or even 48 hours with no food or water, and they would still be ok. You would have to have a serious, life threatening condition to die of something like that. Deaths like these are a symptom of greater problems in society, as you pointed out.

Not to make light of your situation, but going for a run and eating relatively good food every day can go a long way towards making you feel better and avoiding compulsive behaviour. Start with changing the small things that you have control over :)

Edit: And yeah, the western attitude of "well their economy is doing great, so who cares about workers' rights" is pretty hypocritical and disgusting, especially when so many of our products are made overseas.

Bhazor
03-02-2012, 07:40 PM
I've pulled a few 24 hour sessions on the computer myself such when I have to stay up all night taking care of puppies or on the times my insomnia flares up and I've never once died.

The coroner will not be putting computer games as his cause of death so neither will I. Clearly the fella had other complications.

I think a major issue is the so called cramming culture in China and Korea. From a very young age these students are encouraged to study to the point of exhaustion. Theres actually a recent law to ban this practice but thats just lead to underground cramming schools where a room full of 14 year olds copy out pages from books until 4am and sleep through their school lectures. I'd say the problem with some chinese obsessives is that they apply this to videogames. They just robotically cram because at that point it's become almost second nature.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,2094427,00.html
A Korean example of the culture.

Berzee
03-02-2012, 07:50 PM
Now I can't stop thinking about underground dens where people stay up until 4 am illegally taking care of puppies.

db1331
03-02-2012, 08:01 PM
I bet his character had some sick gear though.

Drake Sigar
03-02-2012, 08:06 PM
As the others have said gaming doesn't appear to be the issue here, though I have to wonder at what point are we not comfortable with the methods game designers/researchers invent to get us as addicted as possible (your virtual home degrading if you don't log in periodically being one of many examples to online gaming). Is there no scenario where they should harbour even partial responsibility, can they really do no wrong simply because the player can theoretically walk away at any time?

Bhazor
03-02-2012, 08:23 PM
@ Berzee
Its basically about making sure the mother dog doesn't roll on top of the baby dogs. Whilst shes awake I sit on the floor next to her and listen to music. When she kips I bust Civ out for three hours and check every couple minutes that no pups have fallen behind her. So I'll do that for 20-26 hours then I'll be relieved and I'll sleep for 8 hours. Eat. Go back on duty.

Just another all night session with my bitches.

@Drake

Oh for me they crossed the line long ago. When they started designing games to be addictive rather than fun/rewarding. But you can't stop alcoholics and you can't stop game addicts. Some people just have addictive personalities and will be hooked by something or other if not games then it'd be something else. At least game addiction doesn't hurt anyone else.

Nalano
03-02-2012, 08:47 PM
As the others have said gaming doesn't appear to be the issue here, though I have to wonder at what point are we not comfortable with the methods game designers/researchers invent to get us as addicted as possible (your virtual home degrading if you don't log in periodically being one of many examples to online gaming). Is there no scenario where they should harbour even partial responsibility, can they really do no wrong simply because the player can theoretically walk away at any time?

If the player is five, maybe. But then it's the fault of the parents. Honestly, there will be sucker magnets so long as the world keeps spinning. Either you teach people to not be suckers, or you accept that certain folks will be suckered in.

Scumbag
03-02-2012, 10:54 PM
I'm more bothered by the fact no-one else seemed care about it bar the staff. I've heard a lot about this kind of problem in China where someone is killed or heavily injured and people just walk on pretending nothing happened.

soldant
04-02-2012, 01:46 AM
Either you teach people to not be suckers, or you accept that certain folks will be suckered in.
Common sense can't be taught. Believe me, I've been trying.

Me: "How did you cut up your hand?"
Patient: "Dude, I was totally drunk, and I punched this glass window."
Me: "Okay, don't do that."
Patient: "Totally man, like, didn't expect it'd be this bad."

The next Friday night...
Me: "The fu... what happened to your hand?"
Patient: "Glass window, man, it totally deserved it."
Me: "Why?"
Patient: "Didn't expect it'd be that bad..."

Berzee
04-02-2012, 02:47 AM
{a hilarious but sad story}

LOLz
(10charrrr)

Nalano
04-02-2012, 06:14 AM
Common sense can't be taught. Believe me, I've been trying.

Me: "How did you cut up your hand?"
Patient: "Dude, I was totally drunk, and I punched this glass window."
Me: "Okay, don't do that."
Patient: "Totally man, like, didn't expect it'd be this bad."

The next Friday night...
Me: "The fu... what happened to your hand?"
Patient: "Glass window, man, it totally deserved it."
Me: "Why?"
Patient: "Didn't expect it'd be that bad..."

Ages you can reasonably assume you are in some way imbuing some sort of wisdom to your progeny are 6-12. Beyond that, you hope somebody got to them first. >_>

Drake Sigar
04-02-2012, 11:22 AM
Watching Karate Kid 2 could have saved this man so much trouble.

apricotsoup
04-02-2012, 10:28 PM
To me the gaming aspect is about as responsible as if someone had died whilst watching TV, reading or even say painting for an extended period of time.

It sounds secondary to any and all medical and personal issues an individual may have had.

It's never nice that these things happen but having family in medical fields makes you aware that perfectly healthy people can drop dead at an early age for various undiscovered reasons. Just make sure you do what you enjoy in life and keep going the best you can.