PDA

View Full Version : Pixeljunk has arrived on PC - further titles depends on the success of Pj Eden

Yachmenev
03-02-2012, 06:31 PM
So here it, the first PC version of one of the titles in the acclaimed Pixeljunk series, known from PS3.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/105800/

Whatīs Pixeljunk Eden you say? Well:

Swing, climb, and jump your way through massive “gardens” of vibrant other-worldly plant-life in this truly organic platformer and grow each garden as you explore and guide your tiny yet agile "Grimp" toward the elusive "Spectra" which are hidden throughout each stage. Ride giant plants as they grow beneath you, then swing from them destroying Pollen Prowlers in an ever-increasing cacophony of pollen. Be fired from cannons, float in zero-G, warp to mirror worlds or simply be buffeted about by the wind while clinging desperately to a dangling leaf; each garden has a unique set of challenges, puzzles and enemies that will expand your mind!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h8FkBAMO74

An acclaimed game for a good price, enhanced for PC, bundled with the PS3 DLC. And Dylan Cuthbert, the mastermind behind the studio that creates these games, is open for more PC joy if this game is a succes.

- Right now it is an extra special one-off but who knows, I mean if the Steam fan base reacts well to it we could consider other titles or even releasing a brand new title to Steam exclusively, nothing is off limits for us really.

- I'm really excited to see how the "wider world" will react on Thursday, and whether we really will see sales bigger than those on PSN. Fingers crossed!

http://neogaf.net/forum/showthread.php?t=460502&page=3

But right now, the games hasnīt managed to break in to the top 20 of the best selling games on Steam, which isnīt good enough. Itīs a good game in itself, and we need the rest of the games on PC - Shooter, Sidescroller and Monster.

Buy it people! :)

Chevy
03-02-2012, 06:34 PM
...we need the rest of the games on PC - Shooter, Sidescroller and Monster.

Monsters is the best tower defense game available on any platform. It would rock on PC.

Rauten
03-02-2012, 06:44 PM
Bought it as soon as I got home, but my feelings after playing it are... mixed. I didn't want to spoil the experience by watching videos, but after toying with it for a bit, the only thing that comes to mind is "It's like a Nyfflas platformer with a Lumines soundtrack". Which I'm not sure is a good match...

Yachmenev
03-02-2012, 06:50 PM
Bought it as soon as I got home, but my feelings after playing it are... mixed. I didn't want to spoil the experience by watching videos, but after toying with it for a bit, the only thing that comes to mind is "It's like a Nyfflas platformer with a Lumines soundtrack". Which I'm not sure is a good match...

It is a good match. We need a full spectra of platform games, and this works a relaxed opposite of Super Meat Boy. :)

Chevy
03-02-2012, 06:59 PM

Right, forgot to mention on topic earlier, I was not a fan of Eden at all. I actually haven't enjoyed anything from PixelJunk other than Monsters. I really didn't like Shooter much.

The Sidescroller demo was pretty fun, I guess. I'll probably buy that if it comes to PC.

Roufuss
03-02-2012, 07:58 PM
Too bad Eden is the worst of the lot, imo. Not that it's a bad thing (the game itself is decent), but their other games are far superior and a lot easier to get into.

They should have started with Monsters or Shooter to give the series a fighting chance. Even in a jam packed genre such as TD, Monsters stands out, and Shooter is just great all on its own and there isn't anything like it on PC.

What a weird decision to go with Eden.

siegarettes
03-02-2012, 10:04 PM
Too bad Eden is the worst of the lot, imo. Not that it's a bad thing (the game itself is decent), but their other games are far superior and a lot easier to get into.

They should have started with Monsters or Shooter to give the series a fighting chance. Even in a jam packed genre such as TD, Monsters stands out, and Shooter is just great all on its own and there isn't anything like it on PC.

What a weird decision to go with Eden.

PixelJunk Monsters is on PC as one of those Facebook games nonsense, incidentally.

Shooter is from what Ive seen the most promising, and I'd love to play Sidescroller. This is one of the least interesting PixelJunk games, at least to me.

Jams O'Donnell
03-02-2012, 10:24 PM
Just for the record I absolutely massively heart Pixeljunk Monsters Deluxe on my PSP and would dearly love other Pixeljunk games to be available on a platform I own.

Corpekata
04-02-2012, 12:17 AM
Seems a bit weird that they're throwing that out there while releasing their least popular title.

sabrage
04-02-2012, 12:21 AM
Buying this game would be like buying a game I'm not interested in to unlock DLC that I am. Duke Nukem Forever, for example.

icupnimpn2
04-02-2012, 04:46 AM
Guess I go against the grain here but I spent more time with Eden than Shooter on PS3. Didn't care much for it at first but as the levels became more challenging (and more tense) I started to like it a lot. Will consider PC version since PS3 is essentially a video player now for my wife and child.

Yachmenev
04-02-2012, 10:14 AM
You gotta like developers like this. Even though they designed the game for mouse control, and really doesnīt want it to be played with a gamepad on PC, they have decided to add gamepad support because so many still have requested it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=34829625&postcount=305

RobF
05-02-2012, 12:02 AM
I've not played any of the Pixeljunk games having effectively managed to avoid Sony hardware since the PS1 (not really a conscious decision, just sorta happened) and knew absolutely nothing about what Eden entailed.

First impressions were, well, not much. It's Bugaboo The Flea done pretty and not shit. Then 4 hours later... ok, yeah, it's good. Opened up the Encore sets of levels after a few gardens and LOOK! PRETTY THINGS. Hang on, I put the kettle on a while back, wasn't I supposed to be making a cup of tea?

I'm pretty tired of dexterity platformers, bounced right off Dustforce despite its pretties because I'm just not arsed about wrangling my fingers in knots right now so something so laid back, so nice to look at and something I can amble along with where absolute failure states come rarely... well, yeah, that's Eden all over and I'm thankful for it. It's not out there or pushing many boundaries but it's bloody lovely to play. It's nice. Not faultless, not flawless but nice.

Crackingly smooth port too, not a glitch, not a flicker, speedy to load, quick to get into and well considered controls. If they get pad controls up and running they'll have pretty much nailed it.

Yachmenev
05-02-2012, 07:31 PM
Been playing it for a while now. Unlocked a couple of gardens, and I canīt see the need for gamepad controls at all. It plays very smoothly with mouse controls. It would be great to see this game get some coverage on RPS, because there really isnīt anything else like this on the PC (not many at least, I havenīt played every indie game out there).

RobF
06-02-2012, 03:55 AM
Oh yeah, I don't think it needs it. The mouse controls are really well considered. I'd just like to sit a bit further back from the screen and chill out a bit with it so totally selfish wish, there.

And no, I don't think I've played anything *quite* like it in a fair while. It's Bugaboo FROM THE FUTURE and I like that.

Yachmenev
07-02-2012, 11:47 AM
I think this might be my favorite Pixeljunk game. More fun than Monsters and Shooter.

buemba
07-02-2012, 12:15 PM
It's a pretty interesting game for sure and controls pretty well with a mouse. Hopefully it'll sell enough to make PC ports of Pixeljunk Shooter and Sidescroller a reality.

Yachmenev
12-02-2012, 11:40 AM
Dylan Cuthbert on twitter: "would be great to get a Rock Paper Shotgun review at some point, I thought they were asking for these kinds of ps3 exclusives to come to pc?"

http://twitter.com/dylancuthbert

So how about it RPS, will you step up and help? :)

Quote from a neogaf user: "Yeah, really a shame. Rockpapershotgun even had an article last year asking indie devs to bring their games on consoles to PC, and now that Eden was realesed on pc they don't even mention it."

icupnimpn2
12-02-2012, 10:46 PM
Yes. It is unthinkable that we, as fans of RPS, have yet to hear anything from them about this PS3 game having come over to PC. We should all spend Wednesday, February 15th reading and rereading their post asking for indie devs to bring console games to PC. The RPS page-o-metrics team will detect an increase in eyeballs on that topic, sending a clear, cohesive message to the hivemind that we desire, nay, demand that they tell us something about this PS3 cum PC game.

Then we will know whether if it safe to like it and such.

Moraven
13-02-2012, 06:39 AM
All the PixelJunk games are great in some way. Fortunately have a PS3.

BillButNotBen
13-02-2012, 01:29 PM
So it's a relaxing style game? Like Orbital on GBA?

I like those kind of games, and I must admit to looking at it jealously when it came out decades ago in the PS#

I'll buy it when it's in an indie bundle ;-)

Yachmenev
13-02-2012, 03:06 PM
So it's a relaxing style game? Like Orbital on GBA?

I like those kind of games, and I must admit to looking at it jealously when it came out decades ago in the PS#

I'll buy it when it's in an indie bundle ;-)

Donīt be cheap. Q Games need your support now! :)

allanschnorr
13-02-2012, 07:41 PM
Yes. It is unthinkable that we, as fans of RPS, have yet to hear anything from them about this PS3 game having come over to PC. We should all spend Wednesday, February 15th reading and rereading their post asking for indie devs to bring console games to PC. The RPS page-o-metrics team will detect an increase in eyeballs on that topic, sending a clear, cohesive message to the hivemind that we desire, nay, demand that they tell us something about this PS3 cum PC game.

Then we will know whether if it safe to like it and such.

I understand your point, the game is old and was well received on the ps3, but I think a news article or something like that in the week of release would have been nice if only to tell people like me, who don't care for what's happening in the console land, this game was worth of attention. If not for the posts here in this forum, I wouldn't even have bought the game as the absence of news on pc focused websites usually means bad quality.

icupnimpn2
14-02-2012, 02:56 AM
Sorry, I was poking the whole Half-Life 3 entitled fans thing. I agree that RPS should feature Eden.

Yachmenev
20-02-2012, 01:21 PM
Finally a RPS Wot I Think about the game: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/02/20/wot-i-think-pixeljunk-eden/

This is a really splendid thing – gentle, lovely platforming, with a zen-like atmosphere and constantly evolving ideas (once they finally get started) with each new Garden. It’s beautiful to look at and listen to, but more importantly, it’s enormously engaging to play.