PDA

View Full Version : Massive graphical issues with Dirt 2

Kodeen
04-02-2012, 09:33 PM
So I just bought Dirt 2 and am having very bad issues with it. Symptoms include ghosting of characters, the ground turning purple, lines and triangles sticking out in places they shouldn't be, etc...

My setup is:
Nvidia 460 - factory overclocked
AMD Phenom II 945
Win 7 x64

I've tried a lot of things I've found online, but none of them have really helped. I've tried forcing DX9, turning off AA completely, trying various levels of graphical qualities, and doing a clean install of the latest WHQL driver for the Nvidia. None of them really help. Has anyone else played this game and seen a situation like this?

Bungle
05-02-2012, 07:42 PM
I got a copy of Dirt 2 free with my Radeon 5870. It always worked great for me. I've heard of audio problems causing a memory leak during playbacks, but that can be fixed by disabling the stupid positional audio program that comes in the game. I've never seen graphical artifacts. Does your video card work well in other DX11 games?

Feldspar
05-02-2012, 09:46 PM
I've got a 460 GTX but it runs fine for me, well, I think there were a few crashes to desktop. Sounds like you've done the sensible things, you still get these problems running at 480x320?

gimperial
05-02-2012, 11:04 PM
Did you try running other games? Just to rule out a problem with your video card...

Odeon
06-02-2012, 06:05 PM
Without knowing if the problem exists in other games as well, it's hard to say if this is the cause, but I recently had a bout of crazy graphical issues in the low-requirements MMORPG I play. I tried all of the usual suspects too and had even recently replaced the GPU under RMA so I was pretty confident that it wasn't a hardware issue after testing every other component to within an inch of its life.

The problem turned out to be a corrupt file (possibly more than one) in the NVIDIA driver. I ended up fixing the problem by completely uninstalling all NVIDIA drivers (including those for my motherboard) to make things simpler for the next step. I'd tried a complete uninstall before that, but was still getting the problem along with all versions of the driver not being install-able because I kept getting vague error messages from the installer. So the next step was to go through my hard drive and scrub it of any and all NVIDIA files after everything was removed from Programs and Features. It took a while to find everything and I had some difficulty deleting all files since some of them were running even with everything uninstalled, but after that the latest WHQL driver installed without a hitch and I haven't had the same problem since.

Long story short, try a complete uninstall of the graphics drivers (including the updater, PhysX, and 3D) and reboot before reinstalling the latest WHQL. If that doesn't do the trick, you may have to do the same scrubbing I did.

Kodeen
06-02-2012, 06:14 PM
Sorry for not following this, I fixed the issue. I don't know exactly what fixed it, but it was either me doing a complete uninstall of the Nvidia drivers (including registry deletions!) and re-install, removing some 3d audio driver that got installed with the game, or blowing some dust out of the computer (wasn't too bad, but there was some).

Did you try running other games? Just to rule out a problem with your video card...

Yeah, GTA4 was having some weird issues as well, like Niko's jaw sticking out of his chest. That's what I was testing against and it was the cleaning of the dust that finally fixed that game. Then Dirt 2 worked as well.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Odeon
06-02-2012, 07:35 PM
Awesome, glad to hear everything's working well again. There's nothing more annoying that trying to enjoy some game time but having to spend it troubleshooting problems instead. 8-)

The dust could have been causing some overheating (though that usually takes a lot) or some shorting (though that's not very common at all), but the more likely cause was corrupt drivers and the dust maybe just compounded the problem.

Bungle
08-02-2012, 06:48 PM
For the record - your problem was most likely caused by your video driver and not the dust in your computer.