PDA

View Full Version : Interesting pacing in games

Mihkel
05-02-2012, 02:55 AM
I've just finished Dead Space 2 and what I've noticed is that for what it seemed some 15 hours is infact 8 hours of gameplay. Can you give some examples of interesting pacing in games that seem longer but are not?

agentorange
05-02-2012, 03:11 AM
The Half-Life and Portal games have some great pacing; especially Half-Life 2 which leads you through so many different locations, staying just long enough in each to show you some spectacular sights - but not long enough to get exhausting.
Same method is used in Metro 2033; I felt like I had done so much and come so far at the end of that game, when it only took 7.8 hours to finish.

Bhazor
05-02-2012, 03:23 AM
For me the biggest bits of time dilation are old school sneakers like Thief. Watching a couple guards talk directly in front of your hidey hole can feel like minutes when it's only seconds. Waiting for the moment when all guards go out of sight can feel like *hours* and an hour long mission can leave you exhausted like you were there all day.

Mihkel
05-02-2012, 03:27 AM
For me the biggest bits of time dilation are old school sneakers like Thief. Watching a couple guards talk directly in front of your hidey hole can feel like minutes when it's only seconds. Waiting for the moment when all guards go out of sight can feel like *hours* and an hour long mission can leave you exhausted like you were there all day.

Fuck yes patience is a virtue in these games. I remember in SC3: Chaos Theory when some guard mistook me for a ninja and I listened to his entire rambling just because it was so funny.

sabrage
05-02-2012, 04:23 AM
Thief is absolutely exhausting in how slowly you need to take it.

Orontes
05-02-2012, 12:10 PM
I think the same is true of Deus Ex (both the first one and HR). Going in and sneaking about makes the missions feel like an eternity. All the time you are at your wit's end trying not to be discovered. Love both games though.

Heliocentric
05-02-2012, 12:16 PM
I can by default only think of the opposite, game where you lose whole days by accident.

However Cargo the Quest for gravity did do what you are discussing. So many games key mechanic is something you do 5,000 times per hour Maybe shooting at distant men, bunny hopping or sending attack moves. Games where never know what you are doing next have this tardis effect in abundance.
Space Rangers 2 is not a game, its a freaking buffet, as mentioned stealth games are tense reactional affairs, Hitman: Blood money, The Thief games, Deus Ex, Splinter Cells (but not double agent, that game feels long because its painful) or maybe just a great puzzle game Portal(1&2), Roboblitz and World of Goo being examples.