PDA

View Full Version : Western games recommendations

Mihkel
05-02-2012, 02:25 AM
I have played some of western games (GUN, Red Dead Redemption, Outlaws, Call of Juarez series, Blood, Desperados series). Can you guys recommend anything good to play similar to that vein?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRF_XnyMnMg

Just to give the general idea. Anything Leone has ever done I love.

agentorange
05-02-2012, 02:32 AM
Red Dead Revolver. Only similar in name to Redemption, but it still a has a strong story and a great set of characters; I actually prefer the quick draw system in it to the one in Redemption.

Other than that I can't even think of any. It's a fairly unpopulated genre.

Edit: Forgot to mention Six Gun Saga. It's a western themed card combat game that uses poker rules, from the guy who made Solium Infernum and Armageddon Empires.

Mihkel
05-02-2012, 02:36 AM
Red Dead Revolver. Only similar in name to Redemption, but it still a has a strong story and a great set of characters; I actually prefer the quick draw system in it to the one in Redemption.

Other than that I can't even think of any. It's a fairly unpopulated genre.

Edit: Forgot to mention Six Gun Saga. It's a western themed card combat game that uses poker rules, from the guy who made Solium Infernum and Armageddon Empires.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will try it out. And yes you are right, it is farely untapped genre sadly.

tossrStu
05-02-2012, 03:03 AM
Bit of a long shot perhaps, but Bang! (http://www.bangvideogame.com) is a nice Western-themed card game. No idea how the PC version is I'm afraid, but the iPad version certainly plays well enough.

sabrage
05-02-2012, 03:16 AM
Sunset Riders. Contra with cowboys.

Munkafaust
05-02-2012, 04:38 AM
In the vein of card games there is always the Doomtown CCG and its many expansions. Great atmosphere and story, although it is definitely set in the weird west if that isn't your thing. Probably a bit tough to get into but you can always play it through OCTGN with some buddies.

Heliocentric
05-02-2012, 09:33 AM
Throwing in down strategic :
Sid Meier's Railroads!
Westward(various versions)

coldvvvave
05-02-2012, 09:36 AM
Edit: oh, I didn't see it in Op's list.

Althea
05-02-2012, 09:41 AM
If you can find a group of people with it, there's always Lead & Gold. It's not perfect, the community is near non-existent these days, but it goes on sale numerous times a year for about 2, so get it then. It's pretty cool.

metalangel
05-02-2012, 10:46 AM
If you like retro, The Lone Ranger on the NES is fantastic.

nayon
05-02-2012, 01:54 PM
Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath

fiddlesticks
05-02-2012, 02:39 PM
If you own Half-Life, there's a Western mod called Wanted (http://www.moddb.com/mods/wanted-the-western-mod-steam) you could try out. I haven't really had a chance to play it myself yet, but the reception seems to be somewhat mixed.

Also, it's about as far from Sergio Leone as you can get, but there have been a few Lucky Luke games released for the PC. I remember some of them being actually fairly decent. Unfortunately, none of them seem to be on Amazon and I don't really know where else you'd get them, apart from maybe your local retail store.

Unaco
05-02-2012, 02:56 PM
Fistful of Frags.

Bungle
05-02-2012, 07:51 PM
If you can find a group of people with it, there's always Lead & Gold. It's not perfect, the community is near non-existent these days, but it goes on sale numerous times a year for about 2, so get it then. It's pretty cool.

Lead & Gold was awesome, but yes, the community died long ago. It was multiplayer-only, so there is no need to buy it unless it's for a group of friends to play together. Fatshark's next game was a 3D platformer called Hamilton's Great Adventure. It didn't look like it sold very well. They're a cool developer and I wish them all the best.

Berzee
05-02-2012, 08:10 PM
I remember playing a demo of Wild Wild West; I doubt it was that good, but at the time I played it about 12 times because it had a lightning gun in it, and that was pretty exciting. It was some weird combination of adventure game and precursor to cover shooters. o_O

Flint
05-02-2012, 08:34 PM
If you own Half-Life, there's a Western mod called Wanted (http://www.moddb.com/mods/wanted-the-western-mod-steam) you could try out. I haven't really had a chance to play it myself yet, but the reception seems to be somewhat mixed.
It's enjoyable and swell and such, and one of the more recommendable Half-Life total conversion mods, but it's still a mod made by amateurs and it does show up here and there in stuff like occasional level design slumps etc. I'm not sure I'd recommend for someone who wants Western games but considering it's a free mod and everyone probably owns HL by now, it'll work if the hunger for more Western games grows really desperate.

If you're into click n point adventure games, there's Freddy Pharkas: Frontier Pharmacist (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freddy_Pharkas:_Frontier_Pharmacist) and 3 Skulls of the Toltecs to give a try to. Haven't played either, admittedly, but the former is by Al Lowe which in theory should be a positive sign and generally seems to have a positive rep. The reception for Toltecs seems to have been more in the lines of being alright and little more. The former seems to be in Abandonia.

Snargelfargen
06-02-2012, 01:09 PM
This is admittedly stretching the definition of a "western", but I have found that open world space sims evoke the lawless frontier atmosphere really well.

The X3 games and Freelancer 1&2 are especially good for this, since trading/mining are viable, but you can always fall back to banditry and bounty hunting.

Stellar Duck
06-02-2012, 02:58 PM
This is admittedly stretching the definition of a "western", but I have found that open world space sims evoke the lawless frontier atmosphere really well.

The X3 games and Freelancer 1&2 are especially good for this, since trading/mining are viable, but you can always fall back to banditry and bounty hunting.

On that note I'd mention I-War 2. Not the best space game ever, but solid and with a nice feel of frontier mentality. Perhaps Tachyon - The Fringe as well. Though I've not played that in ages and I might be misremembering.

DeekyFun
06-02-2012, 07:05 PM
Mad Dog MCree? Sorry.

Mihkel
06-02-2012, 10:07 PM

Yeah I also love those games and do admit that there are some very big similarities between the western and sci-fi exploration genre (some sort of a frontier, lawlessness, sense of discovery and exploration). Despite it's simplicity I really loved Freelancer in that aspect and would say that it's one of the most western-y space games considering story and those other things I mentioned.

Chevy
06-02-2012, 11:02 PM
Starcraft 2 has quite the western-themed setting at first.

Snargelfargen
07-02-2012, 03:02 AM
Anything to do with the Terrans in general. The "western in space" genre is a pretty popular setting, especially if you look at film and tv. Aliens, Space Truckers, Firefly, Cowboy Bebop and so on. It also turns up in a lot of sci-fi short story compilations.

An actual western game: Nifflas' Six Shots of Whiskey (http://nifflas.ni2.se/?page=Miscellaneous) (scroll down)
The graphics consist of embroidery, for that extra layer of authenticity.

Kelron
07-02-2012, 03:06 AM
Fallout: New Vegas.

Pants
07-02-2012, 06:19 AM
Fistful of Frags.

Seconded. But how's the community for that these days? I played it a lot a couple years ago and really liked it, but sorta forgot about it. It's definitely very spaghetti influenced.

It's surprising how few good single player western niche-genre (i.e., space westerns and such excluded) games there are, though. From what I've seen, it looks like Red Dead Redemption (which I still haven't played) is the only one that's really done the genre justice.

Jolima
07-02-2012, 07:51 AM
GunFu Deadlands (http://sourceforge.net/projects/gunfudeadlands/)! That's one of those tiny games I keep returning to whenever I remember it.

It's a great 2d shooter with bullet time. You have the advantage of seeing the entire map without fog while the enemies have to rely on line of sight and sound to find you. One shot and you're dead. In hardcore mode - which is the only real way to play - that means you have to start the game over from the beginning again. See how far you can get without using the bullet time for another challenge after completing it normally.

Pertusaria
09-02-2012, 11:40 PM
Cuboy (Back to the Cubeture) Episode 1 is a Western-themed Flash game. Haven't played it yet; someone on RPS liked the sequel (possibly John?).