PDA

View Full Version : Anyone remembers Interstate '76?

Nox
06-02-2012, 01:49 AM
That was a game. cars with cannons, not mincy racing in circles, and big explosions, and some story even too!

Do you know any contemporary games that offer carshootout? I know about that one MMORPG that got thrashed quite recently, though I can't really think of any others.

spcd
06-02-2012, 01:59 AM
http://diprip.com

This is a Half-Life 2 modification. But it's 100% car combat. I think you can play it even without owning a source game. Multiplayer team vs team. Stuff like capture the flag. A year ago there were some active servers. (Don't be angry if you find nobody online)

gameplay video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfCESMUJKYU

And yeah, I still remember Interstate 76. I didn't play it much because I wasn't able to drive properly. Back when I was a kid I never released throttle and never used brakes etc... this means I couldn't make progress in almost every game that involved cars. :)

Porcupeth
06-02-2012, 02:03 AM
Interstate was awesome.

Vexing Vision
06-02-2012, 07:11 AM
There's nothing like Interstate out there, unfortunately. So much fun, also the multiplayer!

And of course damn good writing (http://www.jeffwofford.com/i76_poems.html).

coldvvvave
06-02-2012, 07:43 AM
Interstate 76 was and still is great. Sadly, running it on modern systems is tricky, I encountered a gamebreaking bug that basically made wheels rectangular and prevented car from going fast so it's impossible to make a jump in fourth mission even with nitro. I googled a solution but it was damn complicated, didn't work and so I gave up. I wonder if setting up a virtual Win95 will solve the problem?

I wish it gets a reboot. I mean it wasn't a strategy so there is nothing wrong with a reboot, right? Even if there are some FPS segments( I know you "never get out of the car", but still), I mean even original devs added out-of-car segments in '82.

Nalano
06-02-2012, 07:47 AM
The biggest problem I've had with getting it to work was slowing down the processor, or it goes into conniptions.

That said, it was amazing, and I want to play it again.

t0mme
06-02-2012, 11:34 AM
It was awesome! I remember playing it with my joystick because it had a HAT-switch, making those drive-by's with the handgun a bit easier.

It runs like absolute crap on modern pc's though. Even the gog.com version is rubbish :(

Odeon
06-02-2012, 11:10 PM
Oh man, I76 is the golden age of gaming to me. A friend and I spent hours and hours and HOURS modifying, adapting, and playing with all manner of automotive destruction and tomfoolery in that game. I think that was the first game I ever downloaded player-made maps and mods for and many of them were great.

Ah, the good old days...

Thanks to Vexing Vision for the link to Taurus's poems, I'd totally forgotten about those! Even better is the fact that there are MP3 rips of those poems as spoken by Taurus (voiced by Greg Eagle), sounding like Samuel L Jackson on his darkest day. The added notes from one of the lead designer makes it even better still, so thanks a hundred more times!

quietone
06-02-2012, 11:48 PM
Few games made such impact in my haming life as Interstate '76. I'm not even sure I would like any remake or reboot. It is a perfect memory of a perfect game for that period. :D

Juan Carlo
07-02-2012, 12:43 AM
Yeah it was cool. Especially at the time, as it arrived in that post-Pulp Fiction, late 1990s period when the 1970s were super cool again. I even still remember the ending, it was kind of wistful and a bit down beat for a video game.

I never did play the expansion or the sequel, though.

Spacewalk
07-02-2012, 01:15 AM
I got either the expansion pack or a version of the game built specifically for my second 3D accelerator card and I would lose quite a bit of time to it. There was a map that was just a huge square car park with colossal drops on all sides and I'd add a few AI opponents in and drive around trying to stay alive. I still haven't had that much fun with a vehicular combat game since (I skipped on '82) and I'd say that I'd love to see another one but they'd probably mess it up and get the visuals all wrong which was a huge factor in enjoying the game.

HlicesArerich
07-02-2012, 03:40 AM
There's nothing like Interstate out there
http://www.nicecarparts.info/songht2.jpghttp://www.nicecarparts.info/songgd.jpg
http://www.bookunion.org/12.jpg

TailSwallower
07-02-2012, 04:39 PM
Even the gog.com version is rubbish :(

I missed it back in the day so I jumped on the GOG version, but yeah, it's not totally stable. I was able to get it running, but there was still some weirdness about it - not to mention plenty of ugliness...

As for modern takes on it, there will be a new Carmageddon soon, but that's more of racing + violence, so it's not really the same. Hard to believe that vehicular slaughter isn't a common game type (not counting GTA and similar, of course).

CuriousOrange
07-02-2012, 04:46 PM
I had a lot more luck with I76 on my XP netbook, not sure if it was xp or because it was a much lower spec.

MacbthPSW
07-02-2012, 05:11 PM
Nothing is as great as Interstate '76, but I have found some similar-ish games that I've enjoyed (though they're getting pretty old now, I haven't tried running them on a very modern system):

Interstate '82 - even though this was possibly the most disappointing game ever for me, a few years later I finally decided to just play through it, and now I'm reasonably fond of it. It's still car combat, with a story, and Taurus is in it! The physics and damage system were arcade-ized, which is probably the worst thing about it.

Bandits: Phoenix Rising - very similar to Interstate '76 in the sense that it's a series of car combat missions strung together by a story, and you can modify your vehicle between missions. The setting is very different, and the voice acting is way over the top - but I still found it fun.

Hard Truck Apocalypse (and the sequel Rise of Clans) - drive big, armed trucks around the wasteland. This game has more RPG elements, and suffers from poor translation from the Russian original, and is often ponderous - but I enjoyed it all the same.

Nalano
07-02-2012, 09:38 PM
There's been a fair number of car-combat games since I76 came out, but none with the style.

quietone
09-02-2012, 12:54 AM
There's been a fair number of car-combat games since I76 came out, but none with the style.

Amen to that.