PDA

View Full Version : Sanctum 2 Announced

Althea
06-02-2012, 06:40 PM
Source (http://www.joystiq.com/2012/02/06/sanctum-2-defends-pc-consoles-in-2012/)

Nothing else needs to be said. Go go Sanctum 2 :)

Flint
06-02-2012, 06:53 PM
Well, I suppose this kills all the hope I had for more additional content for the first one.

Althea
06-02-2012, 06:57 PM
Well, I suppose this kills all the hope I had for more additional content for the first one.
With the Collection releasing last month, I think you're probably right - but it is possible a few more maps and what have you release.

We'll just have to see, but it's certainly true that the patches and content are now seemingly less frequent.

Edit: I asked on the official forums, Flint. I'll let you know what they say.

Rauten
06-02-2012, 06:57 PM
Pity it's already been delayed the very same day it's been announced, but... yeah, first day purchase.

Althea
06-02-2012, 06:59 PM
Pity it's already been delayed the very same day it's been announced, but... yeah, first day purchase.
Doesn't seem like a delay, just some wrong information.

Rauten
06-02-2012, 07:03 PM
Nevertheless, a pity. I had already high hopes to do some.. Sanctuming2? (whatever) before the end of times. Oh well. My wallet will be waiting eagerly anyway.

Also, I'm surprised Vinraith hasn't showed up yet in a state of either utter delight or complete frenzy.

vinraith
06-02-2012, 07:04 PM
I loved Sanctum and certainly wish the devs nothing but success. I'm a bit disappointed, like Flint, that this may mean no more DLC for the excellent first game. I'm also a bit concerned about the cross-platform release, as I can't imagine the first Sanctum playing well on a console controller.

Chevy
06-02-2012, 07:15 PM
Oh, and look at that. Sanctum is the Steam deal of the day, at 66% off! Good timing.

Althea
06-02-2012, 07:43 PM
as I can't imagine the first Sanctum playing well on a console controller.
Why, if I might be so bold? It should easily be replicated, and the first Sanctum is listed as "controller enabled", so I assume they've made it work rather well.

Mistabashi
06-02-2012, 07:50 PM
Yeah, I can't see any reason why Sanctum wouldn't work on a controller already. It doesn't even require a particularly great amount of shooting precision.

Anthile
06-02-2012, 07:58 PM
I liked Sanctum but it was lacking in some regards, mainly the complete absence of any sort of campaign or story and thus no sense of progress.

Flint
06-02-2012, 08:20 PM
It's entirely a multiplayer thing to me. I've tried playing the solo stuff but it just does nothing to me, whilst with a friend of two it becomes excellent. Which is a rare thing from a player as oriented towards single player as I am.

vinraith
06-02-2012, 08:38 PM
Why, if I might be so bold? It should easily be replicated, and the first Sanctum is listed as "controller enabled", so I assume they've made it work rather well.

Too much need for quick aiming. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know how anyone plays any shooter on a controller, really.

Rauten
06-02-2012, 08:47 PM
As a former XBawks player, who played the gears of wars and the halos, I can say it's not as awful as you might think. Sure, KB+Mouse still are the superior choice, but gamepad isn't such a horrific tool for FPSs as most PC gamers seem to believe.

Althea
06-02-2012, 08:50 PM
As a former XBawks player, who played the gears of wars and the halos, I can say it's not as awful as you might think. Sure, KB+Mouse still are the superior choice, but gamepad isn't such a horrific tool for FPSs as most PC gamers seem to believe.
Some games are actually much more natural (default settings) with controllers - Hunted, GTA, Fable 3, SPAYSE MAHREENE and so on.

R-F
06-02-2012, 09:07 PM
Some games are actually much more natural (default settings) with controllers - Hunted, GTA, Fable 3, SPAYSE MAHREENE and so on.

This is due to the fact they're games with a hard-coded slow turning speed.

Chevy
06-02-2012, 09:23 PM
I know I am in a very small minority here, but I much prefer playing FPSeses on an XB 360 controller. Ever since playing TimeSplitters 2 on the PS2, I have hated returning to the binary full-speed/complete stop that is necessary for keyboard control.

vinraith
06-02-2012, 09:52 PM
I know I am in a very small minority here, but I much prefer playing FPSeses on an XB 360 controller. Ever since playing TimeSplitters 2 on the PS2, I have hated returning to the binary full-speed/complete stop that is necessary for keyboard control.

Interesting, Timesplitters was my first experience with an FPS on a controller as well. I concluded that my thumbs do not connect to my brain that way.

Althea
06-02-2012, 09:57 PM
Interesting, Timesplitters was my first experience with an FPS on a controller as well. I concluded that my thumbs do not connect to my brain that way.
That's definitely a thing. You control them in different ways. Controllers generally rely on both thumbs and forefingers, whereas with KB+M - depending on the game - you're generally using perhaps the three main fingers on your left hand at most (fore, middle and sometimes ring) and two on the right (fore and middle), with thumbs rarely coming into it.

vinraith
06-02-2012, 10:00 PM
That's definitely a thing. You control them in different ways. Controllers generally rely on both thumbs and forefingers, whereas with KB+M - depending on the game - you're generally using perhaps the three main fingers on your left hand at most (fore, middle and sometimes ring) and two on the right (fore and middle), with thumbs rarely coming into it.

It's funny though, because while I haven't tried it with an FPS I'm reasonably comfortable controlling most games with a thumb track ball. It's being dependent on both thumbs, coupled with the slow rate of turning, that really gets me. I feel like I can't see anything in those games, because I can't whip around and check my sides and rear easily.

I'm trying to imagine playing Glade single player without the ability to spin quickly and I can't figure out how you'd ever do it.

Althea
06-02-2012, 10:03 PM
Weird.

I grew up flitting between PC/Amiga and consoles, though, so yeah :p

vinraith
06-02-2012, 10:07 PM
Weird.

I grew up flitting between PC/Amiga and consoles, though, so yeah :p

I had an Atari 7800 and, later, a Sega Genesis. Loved 'em both. Picked up a Dreamcast and PS2 in their eras as well, and quite liked them, but never tried to play an FPS on them after Timesplitters. :)

Althea
07-02-2012, 04:12 PM
Anyhoo, Flint and others - I heard back from one of the devs.

Sanctum 2 is now the focus, but it's not impossible that Sanctum will get some love (http://www.sanctumgame.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=344&sid=4dbaa833b927fdc16346b95fe93ff728&start=30#p4223).

Vexing Vision
07-02-2012, 04:25 PM
But will it make the game concept any good?

Hello? Hello? Echo? Anyone on my side? Oh, this is lonely over here. :(

(CaveAt: I like the concept - I love Orcs Must Die, I can tolerate (barely) Dungeon Defenders, but Sanctum just doesn't work for me. Towers and shootie-gal have way too little impact to make the game even pretend to be fun.)

Net_Bastard
07-02-2012, 07:20 PM
Wait a minute, Sanctum 1 wasn't multiplatform? But the main menu felt so much like it was made with a gamepad in mind.

Althea
07-02-2012, 07:23 PM
Wait a minute, Sanctum 1 wasn't multiplatform? But the main menu felt so much like it was made with a gamepad in mind.
Nope, AFAIK it's PC only.

Flint
07-02-2012, 07:46 PM
This surprised me as well, the default FOV (and some of the menu stuff) just felt so... console-y to me as well that I thought it was a multiplatform thing.