PDA

View Full Version : Legacy of Kain

Vdaxzter
07-02-2012, 01:48 AM
LoK isn't exactly regarded as a PC series, since nearly every game in the series came out on console first and then came to PC, but every game in the series is on PC. I have very fond memories of the LoK games I've played. I haven't made my way through all of them yet, but I'm wondering what the general consensus is on the series.

DaftPunk
07-02-2012, 01:57 AM
Well the story and characters are some of the best in gaming world for me,but i don't like combat gameplay that much,its was to repetitive and shallow.

Flint
07-02-2012, 08:48 AM
Soul Reaver is one of my favourite games of all time and I'd be willing to say the series in itself is one of my favourite game series, even though I've not played Blood Omen and BO2 was a bit on the poor side. The characters, the story and the world are just that special. Would really love to have continuation for it (Defiance did close the circle on most things but IIRC some things were still left open) but it seems ever unlikely thanks to Hennig's move to other studios.

Xercies
07-02-2012, 09:25 AM
I loved the first Legacy of Kain it really oozed atmosphere I thought. Soul Reaver i thought was the best of the bunch and actually didn't know it came out on PC. I might have to get it again and play through it.

Scumbag
07-02-2012, 11:09 AM
Bar Blood Omen 2, loved every single LoK game. Great story and really intresting characters.
Mainly remember it for the voice acting. It may seem a bit OTT now, but at the time it was better then most of the period's games e.g. the early Resident Evils etc...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFiLNc46jAM

Intro still does it for me.

Seniath
07-02-2012, 11:32 AM
The original Soul Reaver is without a doubt one of my formative games, and the entire series has a very special place in my heart. Whilst I'd love a sequel/conclusion to the story, what with the death of Tony Jay and Amy Hennig busy at Naughty Dog it just wouldn't be the same.

Though imagine, for a second; a Legacy of Kain game with the production values of Uncharted 3. Imagine and weep.

sabrage
07-02-2012, 11:38 AM
I've always wanted to get into this series (I've only played Soul Reaver) but knowing that the story is left unfinished and probably will be always makes me steer clear. I've avoided Shenmue for the same reason, and it's a huge problem with these story-based games (are they every going to make a new Tactics Ogre? What the hell?) It's a damn shame that Crystal Dynamics basically turned into Maxis, just for Tomb Raider games.

Okami
07-02-2012, 11:45 AM
I've always wanted to get into this series (I've only played Soul Reaver) but knowing that the story is left unfinished and probably will be always makes me steer clear. I've avoided Shenmue for the same reason, and it's a huge problem with these story-based games (are they every going to make a new Tactics Ogre? What the hell?) It's a damn shame that Crystal Dynamics basically turned into Maxis, just for Tomb Raider games.

I'm pretty sure they actually wrapped up the storylines with Legacy of Kain: Defiance.

sabrage
07-02-2012, 11:51 AM
I'm pretty sure they actually wrapped up the storylines with Legacy of Kain: Defiance.
Shit, really? I've got some games to buy then.

Scumbag
07-02-2012, 12:17 PM

It was left open to a degree, but they wrapped it up enough to consider Raziel's story finished. It was less "TO BE CONTINUED..." and more "THE END(?)"

Casimir Effect
07-02-2012, 02:15 PM
Had Soul Reaver on the Dreamcast and Soul Reaver 2 on the PC. I liked the story, characters and concept far more than the gameplay though. The camera would often make the platforming a pain, I've never been a huge fan of 3rd-person puzzle solvers, and, although the combat was fun, my most hated mechanic in any game is 'Continuous Health Loss' so that killed it for me.

I'll always remember SR2 for the beautiful intro though.

Porcupeth
07-02-2012, 02:16 PM
One of the best series ever

Kodeen
07-02-2012, 03:36 PM
It was left open to a degree, but they wrapped it up enough to consider Raziel's story finished. It was less "TO BE CONTINUED..." and more "THE END(?)"

I remembered feeling satisfied with the ending of the series, but I forgot exactly how it goes so I just read the last paragraph of the story on Wikipedia. I had forgotten how complicated the story is over the series. I need to play these again, then.

Flint
07-02-2012, 03:42 PM
Yeah, there's no massive sequel hooks or cliffhangers or anything and indeed Raziel's story is wrapped up perfectly, but you get the feeling that there's still some unfinished business on Kain's side and another journey to undertake. As it is though, it wraps up the series fairly nicely and gives a satisfactory conclusion.

Gergin
07-02-2012, 06:30 PM
Complicated but manageable story, great characters backed by extremely good voice actors, attention to detail and an obvious work of passion by the developers.

The downside to these games is very clearly the simplistic and generally poorly implemented combat system. The puzzles are decent enough, nothing spectacular or confusing.

For me, I think the main draw is the extremely high production value of the games. You can tell that the developers really loved what they were making. The animations, the music, the way the terrain deforms when you shift into the nether realm, the lore of the world and the art direction. All these elements tie together to make an extremely well constructed series.

As long as you can look past the mediocre combat, they're worth a playthrough (except perhaps Blood Omen 2).

Scumbag
07-02-2012, 07:46 PM
As long as you can look past the mediocre combat, they're worth a playthrough (except perhaps Blood Omen 2).

Blood Omen 2 was just weird. It was low grade production wise (which was werid considering the quality of the Soul Reaver series), the story sort of tied with the series but had weird non-cannon crap flying everywhere (Why was Vorodor alive?) and the voice acting was non-too great, despite some of the actors being vetrans of the series.
If there was one genuinly crap LoK game BO2 was it IMO.

Flint
07-02-2012, 08:02 PM
Blood Omen 2 was just weird. It was low grade production wise (which was werid considering the quality of the Soul Reaver series), the story sort of tied with the series but had weird non-cannon crap flying everywhere (Why was Vorodor alive?) and the voice acting was non-too great, despite some of the actors being vetrans of the series.
The official, lore-centric explanation for the story discrepancies is that while the story is tied to the other games and is a part of the series, it all occurs in an alternate timeline caused by all the time-screwing in Soul Reaver 2. Hence all the odd things like living Vorador etc. As for the rest of the oddities, there's some strong hints that Blood Omen 2 started its life as a completely different game by another studio which was then hastily transformed into a LoK game after a takeover. All just rumours that haven't been officially confirmed, of course, but strong hints that it could be the case. After all, LoK games starting their lives as different projects isn't really unheard of (eg the first Soul Reaver went through the same process).

There's a bunch of fantastic info about the secret histories and removed elements of all the games in the series in the wonderful Lost Worlds (http://www.thelostworlds.net/index.html) which is a great way to spend a browse-heavy evening.

Scumbag
08-02-2012, 10:44 AM
The official, lore-centric explanation for the story discrepancies is that while the story is tied to the other games and is a part of the series, it all occurs in an alternate timeline caused by all the time-screwing in Soul Reaver 2. Hence all the odd things like living Vorador etc.

Hum... I can sort of understand that. There are moments in Defiance and SR2 that hint at that (Janos must stay dead!) but still seems a bit too far fetched for me. Sure Defiance makes refrences to Vorador being captured, and the plot unfolding as it did in the first game.
Anyhow, debating over scattered memories I have rather then concrete facts.

There's a bunch of fantastic info about the secret histories and removed elements of all the games in the series in the wonderful Lost Worlds (http://www.thelostworlds.net/index.html) which is a great way to spend a browse-heavy evening.

Thanks for that. Never heard of the April Fools event they had. Sure that Chibi-GTA LoK game would have shocked and confused some.

One thing I've wondered over time is why the LoK series has never hit any digital distribution points for PC? I'm sure each title had a PC port done for it, and while not all perfect I'm sure they all ran really well. Maybe now GoG has the old Eidos titles we will see something?

Flint
08-02-2012, 12:01 PM
Hopefully so. The first Soul Reaver has already found its way to the PS3 store ages ago so it's not like they're against re-releasing them.

Scotto
08-02-2012, 12:26 PM
The original top down game blew me away when it first came out and I couldn't get in to the sequels as they did not feel right. Blood Omen is one of my all time favourite games and has been for years.

Kodeen
08-02-2012, 02:23 PM
Blood Omen was the only game in the series that I didn't play through. I was attempting to play it on Playstation but the load times were ridiculous.

Brad
08-02-2012, 02:24 PM
I am using PC version and my experience is very good about this game and it is awesome to play and i also recommend this game. The game is easy tom play and have fun.

Scotto
08-02-2012, 02:29 PM
You can get a PC version of blood omen, get on it.

Vdaxzter
08-02-2012, 05:12 PM
Blood Omen was the only game in the series that I didn't play through. I was attempting to play it on Playstation but the load times were ridiculous.

As I'm in the process of playing Blood Omen on the PC, I can say there are no load time issues. The game runs without a hitch on my Windows 7 64-bit machine. You'll have to use community-made patches to get it working on a modern OS though.