PDA

View Full Version : Gaming Stag Party

Heliocentric
07-02-2012, 09:14 AM
I've been given orders, I must have one, but the normal kind doesn't appeal.

Essentially I plan on hiring our the Kyoto Lounge which is a Manchester gaming bar for friends and family who are coming. But not everyone is a gamer.

What I would like is suggested games, so far I have burnout paradise, a toddler can play it but a real gamer can find it interesting and it's not a game that needs sound to be enjoyed, and of course its multiplayer.

Can you suggest any others which would work?

Xercies
07-02-2012, 09:23 AM
Hmm interesting idea actually.

I think a nice FPS would do the trick to be honest, I don't know if it would be a success but my family always had fun with those even when people weren't very good at it.

The only thing I can think of is console games, not to many PC games i'm afraid. But Super Smash Bros Brawl is a really good one, a racing game like Mario Kart or if you want maybe something like Dirt.

R-F
07-02-2012, 09:27 AM
But Super Smash Bros Brawl is a really good one, a racing game like Mario Kart or if you want maybe something like Dirt.

Yeah, SSB is perfect. You can play it whilst drunk and it only gets funnier.

Guitar Hero, too? And similar?

Heliocentric
07-02-2012, 09:38 AM
Guitar Hero
Unfortunately this game is a series of Quick time events and is against my religion of Orthodox Gamer. :P TBH, I only ever tried the DS version so I'm probably just being ignorant, surely Rock Band would be a better fit though? Its gaming drunken karaoke heaven no?

Feldspar
07-02-2012, 10:06 AM
I can't sing. I have a certificate to prove so. Even so, when bevied up Singstar (or equivalent) is a great laugh. It's fantastic for the non-gamer because you don't have to worry about translating movements on the controller to movements on the screen, give her a song she knows and after a few sherries your grandma will be belting it out whether or not she she is playing a game. By the same token dancing games work well.

R-F
07-02-2012, 11:29 AM
Unfortunately this game is a series of Quick time events and is against my religion of Orthodox Gamer. :P TBH, I only ever tried the DS version so I'm probably just being ignorant, surely Rock Band would be a better fit though? Its gaming drunken karaoke heaven no?

I mean any of those kind of games. Never played them myself. :p

Vexing Vision
07-02-2012, 11:55 AM
I love a good fighting game, myself. Especially the ones like Tekken and DoA which allow you to look good despite having no clue what you're doing.

Make sure you have at least one or two of these around - I'd go for variety. Not everyone wants to stay in the same room as a couple of drunk karaoke singers, not even during a stag party.

buemba
07-02-2012, 12:11 PM
You're gonna have to hunt down some Playstation Move controllers and a Macbook to do it, but from what I hear Johann Sebastian Joust (http://gutefabrik.com/joust.html) is the perfect party game. It's not for sale (As far as I can tell the only way to get a copy was through Kickstarter), but if you tweet or e-mail the creator he might hook you up.

Actually, B.U.T.T.O.N. from the same creator might work too, and that's readily available on Steam.

DeekyFun
07-02-2012, 01:24 PM
If you go a bit retro Atomic Bomberman would be a good laugh.

Berzee
07-02-2012, 01:39 PM
Sumotori Dreams and/or Poleriders!

TailSwallower
07-02-2012, 03:35 PM
I'm thinking of Mana Bar in Brisbane and the games they have on display are: Guitar Hero, Fighting Games, SSB, and some simple arcadey type games (Raskulls was one they had which was really easy to get into and great fun).

They also had Halo as a fairly regular feature.

But yeah, racing games are always good too - bonus if there are proper driving booths.

Cooper
07-02-2012, 03:38 PM
Singstar.

Johan Sebastian Joust.

B.U.T.T.O.N.

Pretty much anythig that's appeared at
http://thewildrumpus.co.uk/games

Capt. Eduardo del Mango
07-02-2012, 03:55 PM
What a superb idea!

The only thing I can think of is console games, not to many PC games i'm afraid. But Super Smash Bros Brawl is a really good one, a racing game like Mario Kart or if you want maybe something like Dirt.

I really can't think of anything better for this than one of the Mario Karts - everyone can play it, everyone loves the way it sounds, looks and feels. Another thought are those XBLA racers you get - no console-owning untermench I, but I did have a go on 'Hydro Thunder' and it'd be pretty good for this sort of thing - four people on one monitor with no problems, simple and straightforward. I think 'Skydrift' is similar. They share that Burnout thing of having a very simple objective that any non-gamer can understand and work out how to get to.

If you're going to have a shooter then SS3:BFE (or one of the previous games) might be a good shout - fun, simple, and best played co-op. Having a pre-mouse/WSAD shooter like Doom 2 running on a few machines might be good for those unfamiliar with modern FPS games.

For the total non-gamers there (gerriatrics and any Amish relatives you might have) then having one station playing Wii Sports (or some similar motion-based minigames thing) might work pretty well (I think the Wii is also sufficiently underpowered to count as acceptably primitive for Amish use).

Not that I'm any expert on the genre but I always found AoE a great laugh multiplayer - could be good for those who don't want something action-based, but as I remember AoE games didn't drag on like some multiplayer RTS games did.

Oh, and all the best for the upcoming nuptials.

PS, I haven't mentioned including a version of Bomberman because that's self-evident for a large game-playing gathering. You are having Bomberman, right? And I do think you should have one station with either Il-2 1946 and a Saitek X52 or Grand Prix Legends and a Logitech G25 there.

LaunchJC
07-02-2012, 04:02 PM
I'm gonna have to throw in Mashed as a racing game suggestion!

Giaddon
07-02-2012, 04:17 PM
Trine/2. Three player, fun, gorgeous, accessible.

Jamestown.

Snargelfargen
07-02-2012, 05:58 PM
I'll have to throw my vote behind rock band/guitar hero/singstar and wii sports. Rock Band and singstar can provide some particularly good moments if there is alchohol involved.

I've found that people who aren't familiar with gaming are a lot more willing to take part in these because
1. Anything involving movement instantly looks interesting, especially for people who see computers as "work objects".
2. Messing up is funny! It doesn't matter if you suck at wii bowling because you can have a laugh about how silly it is.

Fighting games like Tekken or Super Smash Bros can get pretty bewildering and frustrating for people who aren't comfortable with the controllers. There's a huge difference in skill between somebody who is comfortable using a d-pad or joystick, and the guy who wants to know what pressing the "X" button does. That said, you know your guests better than I do :)

Edit: Everybody loves Mario Kart too.

PeopleLikeFrank
07-02-2012, 06:18 PM
Smash Bros is terribly inaccessible. The camera zooms around bewilderingly, you need to know what your character is capable of, and it's generally hard to know what's going on. My brief introduction to it at a party was more tedious and frustrating than League of Legends (and I am no fan of the latter).

Mario Kart is a great one though, people generally seem to love it.

Does this place have table technology? I honestly think some board and card games would be the best option for the non-video-game inclined. They're good fun too!

My ideal gaming party would probably involve some sort of LAN with Doom or Serious Sam or some other entirely silly FPSs, some Mario Kart or other non-serious racing games, and some board games. Maybe Starcraft or something similar if some people wanted to get stuck in something more hardcore.

gwathdring
21-11-2013, 07:31 AM
If you can get ahold of the gear without spending an arm and a leg, Rock Band is a great party game. Unfortunately you said sound was an issue ... it's just lovely because people can rotate in and out, it caters to people of multiple skill levels, you can put on No Fail Mode and everyone can be as awful as they like! It's really really lovely. Also you can leave instruments out, swap instruments ... it's a really flexible, fun game for parties. Is sound a general issue in the space, or is it just that you don't want multiple games where sound is important competing with each other? Because if you can only have one sound related game Rock Band is a nice pick. ;)

If you have multiple computers, Artemis Bridge simulator is brilliant (especially if there's a projector).

More traditionally, I think Super Smash Brothers and Mario Kart are great. Blur is a wonderful arcade racer--sort of like Mario Kart meets Need for Speed. Racing games and brawlers are nice because they have frequent ending points where players can switch off and change settings and such. Racing games more so than brawlers. Both are excellent spectator games.

The main problem with video games at parties is that, unless you have a bunch of laptops or a game that supports console LAN like Halo 2 ... everyone's doing things in groups of 1-4 and you need a bunch of games and a bunch of devices. I really love having board games at parties for precisely this reason. All you need as tables and they come in all lengths and player counts. Board and card games like Mascarade that scale up to 8 (or even 13 but I've heard it gets a bit less fun towards the cap), 7 Wonders which goes up to seven, Apples to Apples and Dixit which also scale up wonderfully ... and then a games like Pandemic, Smallworld, Cosmic Encounter, and Libertalia--3-6ish players, but easy to learn and easy to play in a crowd with people milling past, talking and even spectating. Bang!, Cash and Guns, Tok Tok Woodman and Jenga also make great small-group games in a crowd as they cater nicely to spectators and distractions.

Sadly board games are very expensive if you don't have a friend to hook you up. :( Not everything I listed is expensive! If this isn't too off-message for your party, just ask and I can give you more specific recommendations.

Side note: I make these recommendations as someone who has helped organize mid-sized (15-40 something people depending) gaming conventions as part of a gaming society not just as someone who likes the games listed. We had a lot more options, because we had more than one room at our disposal, but we got a feel for what kinds of games people liked to watch, which ones were too long and had too much downtime when distractions were factored in, and so forth.

bad guy
21-11-2013, 08:19 AM
Tricky Truck

baboonanza
21-11-2013, 09:06 AM
Fighting neon Narwhals. Can be learnt in an instant and hilariously multi-player:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/02/02/mortal-space-narwhal-qwop-combat-just-the-tip/

Maria-cart is always going to be a safe bet. Maybe get a SNES to make it more interesting?

Jesus_Phish
21-11-2013, 09:11 AM
Split/Second is a great game for this kinda thing. We did it for another stag where we'd have 8 racers and 8 co-drivers. The racers would race, but everytime you got wrecked, took a pole position or whatever other rules we made up, you had to take a swig of your drink.

Henke
21-11-2013, 09:19 AM
surely Rock Band would be a better fit though?

From Guitar Hero 4 or 5 onwards you can also play with bass, drums and sing with the headset/mic. And YES YOU GOTTA HAVE GUITAR HERO DUUUUUDE!

FACT: PEOPLE WHO CLAIM NOT TO LIKE GUITAR HERO HAVE NEVER PLAYED GUITAR HERO

FACT: 100% OF PEOPLE WHO HAVE EVER ACTUALLY PLAYED A PROPER GUITAR HERO GAME WITH A PROPER (PLASTIC) GUITAR HAVE HAD A GOOD TIME.

Get it! Get it! Get it!

Unless you really have your heart set on playing something else, that is, because if you have Guitar Hero you might find that it'll be hard to pry everyone away from the plastic guitars long enough to get a session of something else going.

Also, congrats on getting hitched!

karaquazian
21-11-2013, 09:31 AM
If you can get ahold of the gear without spending an arm and a leg, Rock Band is a great party game. Unfortunately you said sound was an issue ... it's just lovely because people can rotate in and out, it caters to people of multiple skill levels, you can put on No Fail Mode and everyone can be as awful as they like! It's really really lovely. Also you can leave instruments out, swap instruments ... it's a really flexible, fun game for parties. Is sound a general issue in the space, or is it just that you don't want multiple games where sound is important competing with each other? Because if you can only have one sound related game Rock Band is a nice pick. ;)

If you have multiple computers, Artemis Bridge simulator is brilliant (especially if there's a projector).

More traditionally, I think Super Smash Brothers and Mario Kart are great. Blur is a wonderful arcade racer--sort of like Mario Kart meets Need for Speed. Racing games and brawlers are nice because they have frequent ending points where players can switch off and change settings and such. Racing games more so than brawlers. Both are excellent spectator games.

The main problem with video games at parties is that, unless you have a bunch of laptops or a game that supports console LAN like Halo 2 ... everyone's doing things in groups of 1-4 and you need a bunch of games and a bunch of devices. I really love having board games at parties for precisely this reason. All you need as tables and they come in all lengths and player counts. Board and card games like Mascarade that scale up to 8 (or even 13 but I've heard it gets a bit less fun towards the cap), 7 Wonders which goes up to seven, Apples to Apples and Dixit which also scale up wonderfully ... and then a games like Pandemic, Smallworld, Cosmic Encounter, and Libertalia--3-6ish players, but easy to learn and easy to play in a crowd with people milling past, talking and even spectating. Bang!, Cash and Guns, Tok Tok Woodman and Jenga also make great small-group games in a crowd as they cater nicely to spectators and distractions.

Sadly board games are very expensive if you don't have a friend to hook you up. :( Not everything I listed is expensive! If this isn't too off-message for your party, just ask and I can give you more specific recommendations.

Side note: I make these recommendations as someone who has helped organize mid-sized (15-40 something people depending) gaming conventions as part of a gaming society not just as someone who likes the games listed. We had a lot more options, because we had more than one room at our disposal, but we got a feel for what kinds of games people liked to watch, which ones were too long and had too much downtime when distractions were factored in, and so forth.

There's a free pc version of cosmic encounter.

karaquazian
21-11-2013, 09:34 AM
Does this place have a LAN?

A network game of terraria, kag or minecraft might be fun.

Wheelz
21-11-2013, 09:58 AM
so uh, this thread is over a year old. It got resurrected earlier by some kind of bot, who by the looks of it has since had it's post deleted.

sabrage
21-11-2013, 10:05 AM
I've played a lot of Guitar Hero, but man did it feel dated the last time I put it on. And that must've been in 2009.

Thermal Ions
21-11-2013, 10:18 AM
so uh, this thread is over a year old. It got resurrected earlier by some kind of bot, who by the looks of it has since had it's post deleted.

So the real question becomes: What games were had, was the party any good and does Helio remember any of it?

tormos
21-11-2013, 03:46 PM
In my opinion the question is: Given that helio did not report back, are we supposed to assume that he never made it home from his stag night and a replicant has assumed his identity?

Heliocentric
21-11-2013, 04:06 PM
Truth be told the idea was kinda aborted when non of the venues would allow children and that kinda ripped the heart out of it.

Jesus_Phish
21-11-2013, 04:19 PM
Truth be told the idea was kinda aborted when non of the venues would allow children and that kinda ripped the heart out of it.

*EDIT* Nevermind my silly questions about the past!

Fumarole
21-11-2013, 04:21 PM
Truth be told the idea was kinda aborted when non of the venues would allow children and that kinda ripped the heart out of it.Way to let everyone down. You could have at least made up a story about strippers and Wiimotes.

FurryLippedSquid
21-11-2013, 04:45 PM
You Don't Know Jack?

Sega All Star Racing thingy?

gwathdring
21-11-2013, 06:23 PM
There's a free pc version of cosmic encounter.

There's a free web version. It's shit and it's certificates are out of date and I'm pretty sure it tried to give me a virus. I hear some people liked it, but I'd steer clear.

That also requires multiple PCs. And as long as you have multiple PCs there are better things to do with them than a slow, hobbled, smaller-scale version of a brilliant board game with tons of variety in it's shelf version.

gwathdring
21-11-2013, 06:24 PM
Fighting neon Narwhals. Can be learnt in an instant and hilariously multi-player:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/02/02/mortal-space-narwhal-qwop-combat-just-the-tip/

Maria-cart is always going to be a safe bet. Maybe get a SNES to make it more interesting?

YES! Just the Tip is brilliant. Also Pole Riders: http://www.foddy.net/2011/11/poleriders/

Heliocentric
21-11-2013, 09:09 PM
Way to let everyone down. You could have at least made up a story about strippers and Wiimotes.

And blackjack!
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a6/Bender_Rodriguez.png

somini
22-11-2013, 04:29 AM
I posthumously suggest EVE Online and/or Excel, depending on the audience.

There is nothing that cheers people more than a pivot table and/or having real money vanish by using a computer.