PDA

View Full Version : Anyone playing Gotham City Imposters? Thoughts?

Cooper
07-02-2012, 04:38 PM
I guess there's a review embargo as it's available today
http://store.steampowered.com/app/21170/
But am hearing not much about it.

Quite a bit of grumbling on Twitter about the matchmaking system, with long waits for games which everyone then drops from...

Is anyone playing it? Is it any good? Should I just keep playing TF2 for now?

Ignorant Texan
07-02-2012, 05:06 PM
Uh, oh. From what you've written, it sounds like the PC stress-test/BETA 'fiasco'(to give Monolith their due, they did emphasize that there would be problems, they were very apologetic about the problems, and did a good job of keeping people updated through the BETA forums) all over, again. When you could get into a match, and if you either didn't get dropped during a match, or have a match end prematurely from others being dropped, it was fun on the one map. I guess I'll pick this up when it's $5, and nobody is playing it. Too bad.

ZIGS
07-02-2012, 05:55 PM
This game will die faster than Section 8: Prejudice

JimTheDog
07-02-2012, 07:44 PM
I bought it, I'm kind of wishing I'd skipped it. But it's decent fun while it WORKS, it just doesn't work much.

Giaddon
07-02-2012, 07:49 PM
I don't know why people bother with these small multiplayer only games. They'll never build a large enough playerbase to last more than a month.

Althea
07-02-2012, 07:50 PM
I don't know why people bother with these small multiplayer only games. They'll never build a large enough playerbase to last more than a month.
Team Fortress 2 says "Hi!"

Chevy
07-02-2012, 08:04 PM
Team Fortress 2 says "Hi!"

Small? ​aaaaaaaa

Althea
07-02-2012, 08:05 PM
Small? ​aaaaaaaa
Team Fortress 2 from five years ago says "Hi!"

Chevy
07-02-2012, 08:14 PM
My point was it wasn't small, even five years ago.

Yachmenev
07-02-2012, 08:15 PM
I heard that this is a Games for Windows Live title, so I havenīt bothered looking at it beyond that.

Althea
07-02-2012, 08:19 PM
My point was it wasn't small, even five years ago.
It's from a moderately sized company with a history of FPS creation and retailed for roughly the same price point, one of which is from an established multiplayer franchise and the other is part of one of the most popular and biggest selling comics franchises in the world.

TF2 wasn't "small" because it was bundled with The Orange Box and because within a year or two it had sparked off jokes, memes and achieved cult status.

Cooper
07-02-2012, 08:30 PM
TF2 had six maps upon release.

JimTheDog
07-02-2012, 09:23 PM
I will say that with some more time with the game, it's _okay_, if we disregard the matchmaking system and the glacial-feeling pace of the unlocks. It has some genuinely funny moments.

But the matchmaking system is ass, you can't join games in progress... I think this is going to be a GREAT ON X-BOX, lame on PC title, purely because shooters on the X-box are intrinsically limited in terms of stuff like dedicated servers, and this is being limited to X-box standards on PC.

Nalano
07-02-2012, 09:35 PM
TF2 had six maps upon release.

...came from a known company that specializes in nigh-excessive playtesting, and had successfully pulled off team-based multiplayer FPSs prior.

GC:I, on the other hand, came from a company that specialized almost entirely in niche single-player FPSs that were always somewhat buggy on release, and whose last multiplayer game was a tremendous flop (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Matrix_Online).

Chevy
07-02-2012, 10:08 PM
TF2 wasn't "small" because it was bundled with The Orange Box

Exactly? Also because it was made by Valve. Which is why it was bundled with the Orange Box.

Althea
07-02-2012, 10:12 PM
Exactly? Also because it was made by Valve. Which is why it was bundled with the Orange Box.
But it was also released separately. It's a small game - or it was upon release. It's only due to effectively forcing it upon people and cultural appeal that it's been so popular.

Big things come from small packages and what have you. TF2 for the first year or two - at least - can hardly be described as "big". 9 classes, a few maps, no unlockables - was pretty basic, really.

1PointO
07-02-2012, 10:22 PM
the matchmaking system is ass, you can't join games in progress... I think this is going to be a GREAT ON X-BOX, lame on PC title, purely because shooters on the X-box are intrinsically limited in terms of stuff like dedicated servers, and this is being limited to X-box standards on PC.

Apparently dlc/patch that fixes matchmaking will arrive in March.
http://www.gothamcityimpostors.com/forums/showthread.php/3868-The-next-chapter-of-Impostors-yours-for-free!?p=31544

So great on xbox AND on PC...in 1-2 months.

Nalano
07-02-2012, 10:26 PM
Big things come from small packages and what have you. TF2 for the first year or two - at least - can hardly be described as "big". 9 classes, a few maps, no unlockables - was pretty basic, really.

Are you conflating "big" with "feature bloat?"

Althea
07-02-2012, 10:27 PM
Are you conflating "big" with "feature bloat?"
TF2 is bloated now (it got that way once they started adding new weapons), but it wasn't when it came out.

Nalano
07-02-2012, 10:31 PM
TF2 is bloated now (it got that way once they started adding new weapons), but it wasn't when it came out.

Then I think the problem here is that you're speaking at cross-purposes with exactly what you're calling big: The market appeal or the game features?

Because when TF2 came out it had an established market, an incredibly well-balanced class system, a half-dozen maps and a working netcode.

GC:I doesn't have any of those things.

Chevy
07-02-2012, 10:35 PM

I see what you're saying. I think Giaddon meant small as in it's made by a little known developer, has very little marketing support, and will die out very quickly like similar titles have.

Althea
07-02-2012, 10:36 PM
Then I think the problem here is that you're speaking at cross-purposes with exactly what you're calling big: The market appeal or the game features?

Because when TF2 came out it had an established market, an incredibly well-balanced class system, a half-dozen maps and a working netcode.

GC:I doesn't have any of those things.
It has an established market, namely gamers with even the most casual of interest in Batman franchise, which is quite a lot of people considering the sales of AA and AC.

Nalano
07-02-2012, 10:37 PM
It has an established market, namely gamers with even the most casual of interest in Batman franchise, which is quite a lot of people considering the sales of AA and AC.

Just because you slap a brand name on something doesn't mean it has an established market. I can make hello kitty carbine rifles (http://www.riflegear.com/blogimages/ShootingKitty1.jpg), but that doesn't mean they'll sell.

Brad
08-02-2012, 02:25 PM
It will be set in an "unhinged Gotham City overrun by impostors inspired by the DC Comics characters Batman and The Joker," according to Warner Bros., which owns DC Comics.
Gameplay details were thin, but Warner Bros. described the game as being team based in a media presentation in Los Angeles. In a press release sent out shortly thereafter, the company said the title was a "creative twist on multiplayer heroism and anti-heroism" as players choose whether or not to be good or evil. The game will also allow for extensive customization options, including exaggerated costumes and "homebrew" weaponry.

Giaddon
08-02-2012, 03:03 PM
I see what you're saying. I think Giaddon meant small as in it's made by a little known developer, has very little marketing support, and will die out very quickly like similar titles have.

That is exactly what I meant! Comparing it to Team Fortress 2, which not only was made by Valve (one of the most well-known shooter companies), and bundled with the Orange Box, it was also the sequel to Team Fortress, one of the most-loved multiplayer shooters of its time. Comparing that to Batman Imposters is silly. The comparison to S8: Prejudice is much more fair, or Breach, or Lead and Gold, or other games like that.

Bungle
08-02-2012, 06:46 PM
Althea, you are wrong. Please stop trying to derail the thread.

I checked Steam's most played games list and Gotham City Imposters has 800 concurrent players right now. The game is D.O.A. It will be a ghost town in no time. I say this as a person who owns Lead & Gold, Dogfighter, and many more similar multiplayer games.

Berzee
08-02-2012, 06:52 PM
I agree with Brad.

Icarus
08-02-2012, 10:41 PM
Okay. Here are the reasons why I think this game will die within two months:

1) GFWL. Seriously, why does anyone in the industry still think using GFWL is a good idea?
2) The 'DLC' (item unlocks) collectively costs twice as much as the game itself. In a free to play game, yeah, acceptable, but in a game that you buy for cash money? Not so much, in my opinion.
3) They are selling permanent xp boosts, for a multiplayer FPS, as paid DLC.

Chevy
08-02-2012, 11:02 PM
The 'DLC' (item unlocks) collectively costs twice as much as the game itself. In a free to play game, yeah, acceptable,
but in a game that you buy for cash money? Not so much, in my opinion.

In a free to play game, all paid DLC costs infinitely more than the price of the game :p

Kidding aside, I agree with all your points.

Abeus
09-02-2012, 09:27 PM
At least it has some funny glitches. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iuMZ2u6WSg

In all seriousness though, me and a couple of friends have enjoyed it quite a bit but we know it won't last. Good for a quick cheap laugh.

Moraven
10-02-2012, 03:16 AM
Seeing how there was DLC already... Why didn't this game just start as Free-to-Play?

Glad Hawken is going this route.

There seems to be to many small time multiplayer only titles coming out. After 6 months, if there is no established community, the same won't sell anymore. Why are so many developers taking this risk? At least free to play gives reason for people to keep checking in and try out the constant stream of content.

untruth
10-02-2012, 10:35 AM
I got this game for the Xbox and I have to say I'm very impressed. The weapon balance is spot on, and the map design is, whilst simple, well considered. Maps are disappointingly grid-based and quite 'square' rather than more organic, but they are well thought out and addictive.

I think it's unfortunate that it's such a close-shave with TF2. A fun, team based cartoon shooter will inevitably end up looking like that, but it's a very risky move to go head to head like this. I do question why they didn't try and differentiate it with perhaps more ridiculous weapons (though a missile launcher with multi-coloured smoke trails is pretty ridiculous) than standard guns. It could have been 'zanier' in that regard.

The sad thing is, it has so much going for it on top of the games that it wants to be. All the special abilities such as flying are just brilliant, fun and work really well, and it is so in tune with comic book tropes that it is just a joy to customise and laugh with. Things like calling cards, outfits, different voices, body shapes seem fickle but in the context of a comic game it just works so, so well. The menu system design is also one of the most beautiful bits of interface I've seen for ages - so many nice touches like the joker running away with the loading bar.

I am hoping with every last bit of my gamer-hope that this keeps a core audience (like Iron Brigade has managed to) as it DOES deserve one. I'm just not sure it can compete with an already large number of popular multiplayer shooters from COD to BF to L4D.

Weird things:
- Expensive real-life market for items when it's not F2P.
- Not being able to join a game in progress (I no rite?!)

I still recommend people play it, and just let go of it being TF2, or whatever else it's like, and just enjoy it as a game and a franchise concept.

LGM
12-02-2012, 12:21 AM
I was interested in this game until I saw it used GFWL and had 100 DLC available on day one. Absolutely pathetic. I can't believe Monolith has fallen so far.

Why are they not making NOLF 3? What the fuck is wrong with them?

Winged Nazgul
01-09-2012, 11:56 AM
Necro to announce the game is now:

+F2P on Steam
-GFWL

for a net total of very awesome.

http://youtu.be/7M1iZvgrWWY