PDA

View Full Version : Media Player for Windows with FLAC Support

Kamikaze-X
07-02-2012, 08:06 PM
So, I finally decided to break free from the yoke of oppression that is iTunes.

I dont even use iDevices anymore.

Can you guys recommend a nice, polished media player that has native FLAC support for Windows?

thanks,

Faldrath
07-02-2012, 08:23 PM
http://www.foobar2000.org/

Best audio player I know.

Kamikaze-X
07-02-2012, 08:38 PM
thanks, trying it now.

any others that have that more 'polished' look?

I could just use VLC if i just wanted something utilitarian,

Snargelfargen
07-02-2012, 10:03 PM
Foobar is highly customizable. The basic install looks very rough, but you can configure it to have all the features and looks of itunes or anything you can imagine with a little work.

Enable "Layout Editing Mode" to change the basic shape and functions. For more sophisticated stuff, you will have to do some very basic text editing.

Figuring out the basics is annoying though. There are some good tutorials at hydrogenaudio.com, but if you don't have experience with any sort of programming, it will be easier to download a nice looking pre-set from the forum there.

If you want something totally hassle-free, I believe winamp can support .flac. The last time I tried it, it still had an interface from the nineties though.

The Tupper
11-02-2012, 01:20 AM
This codec (http://flac.sourceforge.net/download.html) makes Windows Media Player work with FLACs.

Rii
11-02-2012, 01:25 AM
So, I finally decided to break free from the yoke of oppression that is iTunes.

You're lucky that it (apparently) let you leave so easily. When I tried to uninstall iTunes it broke my Windows out of spite. =/

I use Foobar2000 for audio, but to be honest only because I sometimes like to leave a video paused in the background and I've never been able to get VLC to do multiple instances properly...

Wolfenswan
11-02-2012, 01:34 AM
i second foobar

for a slightly more flashy player that's a bit closer to i-tunes/winamp i'd say songbird. last time i tried it was a bit buggy/sluggish for my taste (still way faster than winamp or i-tunes)

Tams80
11-02-2012, 03:50 PM
Pretty much most of them. VLC, Foobar, Winamp, Songbird (rather like iTunes if you liked it)...

I use a plugin for WMP at the moment (only one with decent touch capability). It's a little bit fiddly to set up (restarting your system) and on the very odd occasion slows a little, but it works well.

The only thing I miss are the visualisations in iTunes. The Barbarian Group did a good job there.

Kamikaze-X
13-02-2012, 07:25 PM
Thanks all,

have installed Songbird and I like what I see so far.

Nice bit of polish but very functional.