PDA

View Full Version : Frozen Synapse dark extermination league - season 7

WombatDeath
08-02-2012, 12:34 AM
Sign-ups for season 7 are now open! If you would like to take part please do three things:

1) Add yourself to this list (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvmG4SoJhEYbdFgtbjN3VFE4OUxQTEtSLWVoVmJGX 3c&hl=en_GB&pli=1#gid=27).

2) PM your email address to me (optional, but it will be very useful if I need to give you a nudge). I will not disclose it to anyone else. If you have previously PMd your address to me in an earlier season you don't need to send it again, but if you're not sure then please re-send it.

3) Click here (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/profile.php?do=editoptions) to go to the RPS forum settings and edit the 'Private Messaging' section so that you get an email and/or a popup when someone (e.g. me) sends you a PM.

Season 7 will begin on Monday 13 February and will last two weeks, so please don't sign up if you expect to be unavailable during that period. You will probably be required to play between 4 and 6 games (division sizes are subject to the number of players). Rules are mostly as in previous seasons, and will be posted later this week.

New and old players are all welcome! No experience required, and weaponry will be provided. Sign up! (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvmG4SoJhEYbdFgtbjN3VFE4OUxQTEtSLWVoVmJGX 3c&hl=en_GB&pli=1#gid=27)

WombatDeath
08-02-2012, 12:46 AM
Regarding the rules for season 7: I think that the "must include explosives" rule worked well last season (as is so often the case in most areas of life) so unless anyone has a major objection we'll keep it. I'm inclined towards disallowing the reuse of maps, because while I can see that it might make the challenge process easier I think it might grant too much of an advantage. Any thoughts?

Also, I'm looking forward to this season. Division 1 sees the arrival of Lagnut, who I believe is near the top of the global rankings, and Coccyx, who has won his division in the last two seasons dropping only two games along the way. And by "looking forward to", I mean "going to get my head kicked in".

rodeoclown
08-02-2012, 12:50 AM
I'm heading over to the US on the 20th, and I'll have internet over there, so I _should_ be able to play all my games, I'm signing up anyway - play me fast when I challenge you!

I was wondering how long it would take Lagnut to get to division 1 - I might be division 2 in season 8 :(

I think the reusing maps should be out - too much of an advantage playing the same map several times.

Fumarole
08-02-2012, 01:42 AM
How about generating random maps a la the Summer and Fall Synapse Cups and have everyone play on them?

ColOfNature
08-02-2012, 04:12 AM
I agree that the maps should be generated fresh for each match. Either that or there's just one map and we use it for all matches, although that would be decidedly boring.

tpiece
08-02-2012, 06:02 AM
I think map reuse is a legitimate strategy. If the map is balanced then both have the same odds.

I started reusing maps not for advantage but because the maps where fun to play.

rodeoclown
08-02-2012, 06:14 AM
I don't think that works though, because you may have the same odds initially, but if one player has had the opportunity to practice using the same map, then they will have the advantage.

Xune
08-02-2012, 10:04 AM
There's definitely a "home advantage" to be had by playing all your matches on a few layouts. Depending on where you are in the initial league table will dictate how many you can utilize but I believe that every match should be fought on a level playing field.

leffe_
08-02-2012, 03:25 PM
Looking forward to it! :)

DeVadder
08-02-2012, 03:49 PM
Whoho, im in.

But, what about these rules i have been hearing about? ^^
I have no idea how this works (the league, not FS) but i turned e-mail notifications on and thus am positive i will find it out.
I am really looking forward to this.

Jams O'Donnell
08-02-2012, 03:59 PM
I'm in, and I've never played multiplayer before. Should be "fun."

Henke
08-02-2012, 05:22 PM
Reporting for combat duty! :D

Haven't played in a "tournament" or whathaveyou before but I do have a quite a few matches under my belt, mostly against my peeps at TTLG.

Looking forward to this. :)

Ritashi
08-02-2012, 06:06 PM
I definitely agree with not allowing reuse of maps, it can give a pretty sizable advantage once you've played on a map a time or two and not only figured out everything both sides can do but also what your opponents tend to do. Whether or not that's the intention, it will be the result.

rodeoclown
08-02-2012, 07:10 PM
Whoho, im in.

But, what about these rules i have been hearing about? ^^
I have no idea how this works (the league, not FS) but i turned e-mail notifications on and thus am positive i will find it out.
I am really looking forward to this.
The rules (and instructions) will be posted once signups are complete, don't worry :)

ComradePenguin
08-02-2012, 07:13 PM
How about generating random maps a la the Summer and Fall Synapse Cups and have everyone play on them?

I found this more of a hassle than just hitting generate a few times to get something that conformed personally if the idea is making the process easier.

I too am against map reuse. When I've played a map a second time it has invariably been much easier. It's also a bit dull. Perhaps we can change the challenge process so the distribution is more even if people are finding it a bother.

Easy
08-02-2012, 08:22 PM
You know me, I'm a sucker for punishment :) I'm in.

brocklehurst
08-02-2012, 08:30 PM
I'm in, and I've never played multiplayer before. Should be "fun."

Don't want to appear mean, but I hope I'm in your league : )

Definitely like the explosive rule

Don't like the idea of re-using maps. Clicking a few (sometimes lots of) times will ultimately get a decent map.

MarvinPA
08-02-2012, 08:41 PM
I think I just barely missed the signups for last season after finally getting round to actually installing and trying FS. I'll probably do pretty terribly but am looking forward to this anyway!

WombatDeath
09-02-2012, 12:16 AM
Welcome to all the new players! Still room for a few more, and if anyone's on the fence I encourage you to give it a shot.

It looks as though the map-reuse thing is a pretty resounding 'no' (sorry tpiece). I did consider the notion of having standard maps but ultimately concluded that the random generation makes things interesting (and less work for me).

It would be splendid if we could get even more people involved in the commentary this season. Does anyone else fancy having a go, even if it's just a one-off? In particular it would be great to have some company for CMaster in the featured matches (might give it a whirl myself if I can work out how to use this microphone contraption).

rodeoclown
09-02-2012, 06:19 AM
If anyone wants to play a practice match or two, feel free to challenge me (rodeoclown on UK1), I'm in front of the PC all day, so I'm usually pretty prompt to take my turns.

lagnut
09-02-2012, 10:00 AM
Man, work has been absolutely killing me lately.
I haven't even logged in for ages (like, game-expiring lengths of time).

But I've come to my senses and sorely missing the Big Blue.

I'm all aww shucks at Wombat's mention of me and Division One status, and I also got a lot of enjoyment explaining my thoughts and perspective for 443838 (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?2624-Frozen-Synapse-dark-extermination-league-season-6&p=84038&viewfull=1#post84038), so in some small token of giving back to this truly inspiring little community we have going, I think I've got all the tools and techniques to have a good go at what I envision for recording full turn sessions for posterity and/or hilarity.

Specifically, I'm aspiring to time-lapse videos of the entire evaluate-plan-sim-adjust-submit process for every turn from "Go There Now" to "Are you sure? OK" with voice commentary (and, why not, an auto-ducked soundtrack too).

Credit where it's due (only partially because rodeoclown might out me if I don't 'fess up for myself): Indie game dev fans might well recognise this video technique from the likes of the Concept Art clips (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YivVr2tLEqY) from Aubrey Serr of Wolfire (http://www.wolfire.com/). Of course, it's been used countless times before (http://www.youtube.com/results?search=Search&resnum=0&oi=spell&search_query=Time+Lapse+Painting&spell=1&sa=X), but it took me until now to dawn on me that this could work really well for the canvas of Frozen Synapse turns.

desvergeh
09-02-2012, 12:10 PM
Signed up. Once more unto the breach...

tpiece
09-02-2012, 02:24 PM
Welcome to all the new players! Still room for a few more, and if anyone's on the fence I encourage you to give it a shot.

It looks as though the map-reuse thing is a pretty resounding 'no' (sorry tpiece). I did consider the notion of having standard maps but ultimately concluded that the random generation makes things interesting (and less work for me).

It would be splendid if we could get even more people involved in the commentary this season. Does anyone else fancy having a go, even if it's just a one-off? In particular it would be great to have some company for CMaster in the featured matches (might give it a whirl myself if I can work out how to use this microphone contraption).

Unfortunately, you are assuming some honesty system. Anyone can still generate a new map, save and train on it. How do we know it's a fresh as in never played before map? Also, the whole scenario play and replay is to test all the "what-ifs" which eliminates the argument of having a disadvantage if you didn't create the map.

It's like arguing against chess opening moves libraries...

WombatDeath
09-02-2012, 03:13 PM
When I seize infinite cosmic power my first act will be to order the execution of all compilers of chess opening move libraries. That aside, I'm happy to assume that everyone is acting in good faith and I still think that repeated use of maps will confer an advantage over time, not least because many of us (myself included) seem to overlook things even with repeated simming.

WombatDeath
09-02-2012, 03:15 PM
Specifically, I'm aspiring to time-lapse videos of the entire evaluate-plan-sim-adjust-submit process for every turn from "Go There Now" to "Are you sure? OK" with voice commentary (and, why not, an auto-ducked soundtrack too).

Excellent idea! I don't think I'll be doing this myself as my thought process tends to be an incoherent jumble of indecision and panic, but I look forward to watching yours.

iwem.xo
09-02-2012, 05:18 PM
I joined the forums specifically for this. Looking forward to it!

ascagnel
10-02-2012, 04:22 AM
I haven't done one of these leagues in a while. Count me in.

FS nickname is `ascagnel`, as it is most everywhere.

rodeoclown
10-02-2012, 04:40 AM
I haven't done one of these leagues in a while. Count me in.

FS nickname is `ascagnel`, as it is most everywhere.

Nice to have you.
Make sure you follow the rest of the sign up details as listed here:

Sign-ups for season 7 are now open! If you would like to take part please do three things:

1) Add yourself to this list (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvmG4SoJhEYbdFgtbjN3VFE4OUxQTEtSLWVoVmJGX 3c&hl=en_GB&pli=1#gid=27).

2) PM your email address to me (optional, but it will be very useful if I need to give you a nudge). I will not disclose it to anyone else. If you have previously PMd your address to me in an earlier season you don't need to send it again, but if you're not sure then please re-send it.

3) Click here (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/profile.php?do=editoptions) to go to the RPS forum settings and edit the 'Private Messaging' section so that you get an email and/or a popup when someone (e.g. me) sends you a PM.

brocklehurst
10-02-2012, 07:08 PM
Not trying to influence voting, just wondered if people had seen this:
http://www.igf.com/audience.php

Frozen synapse is up for an award at the Independent Games Festival

SirQuijote
10-02-2012, 11:11 PM
Count me in!

Coccyx
10-02-2012, 11:56 PM
I'm in, but on holiday for the first week so don't expect anything until at least the midway point.

WombatDeath
11-02-2012, 12:22 AM
Count me in!

Register thyself on yonder spreadsheet, Sir Knight, lest thy participation go unheeded and thine opponents' warriors languish lonely and unexploded.

WombatDeath
11-02-2012, 12:23 AM
I'm in, but on holiday for the first week so don't expect anything until at least the midway point.

By "at least the midway point" do you expect to be able to get started early in the second week?

lagnut
13-02-2012, 04:26 AM
Would it be better to hold off launching this season until this sniper issue (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPevs_IDm68) gets either clarified or resolved?

Fumarole
13-02-2012, 06:31 AM
We could simply have a no sniper rule. In six seasons I think there's only been one anyway.

Henke
13-02-2012, 07:53 AM
It starts today right? My calendar says YES! Today is the day!

LETS DO THIS THING! YEE-HAW!

*fires imaginary machinegun into the air*

*notices co-workers are looking at me funny, puts arms down*

(lets do this thing!)

bonuswavepilot
13-02-2012, 10:48 AM
Alright, one win to four losses last season... *not* *ziss* *time!* <Das Boot theme>

spacein_vader
13-02-2012, 09:50 PM
Thanks to Brocklehurst I'm in. I'll be cannon fodder for a while as I'm currently playing my 3rd ever game.

Or am I?

Yes, yes I am.

lagnut
13-02-2012, 11:04 PM
We could simply have a no sniper rule. In six seasons I think there's only been one anyway.

Okay I've got confirmation from the devs after pestering them with a direct email.
The Sim is correct and the Sniper has new abilities.

Hi,

Snipers did get nerfed a little. Now they have a 1 second cool down so if they lose track of a unit but reengage it within that time they are faster to react.

Though I'm a little confused at the wording because to me being 'nerfed' is a bad thing, and this seems like only good news for the Sniper!
At least we know now and so can plan for it. Snipers ahoy!

WombatDeath
14-02-2012, 12:18 AM
Sorry all, I've had problems with my job (I will no longer have one as of the end of February) and the functioning of my KVM (it doesn't). The former is a good thing but the latter is a pain in the arse. Anyway, typing ability is more or less restored and I will get season 7 underway tomorrow.

leegeorg07
14-02-2012, 01:43 PM

I sent CMaster a message a while ago, still waiting on his reply as to what he wants/how he wants to run it.

WombatDeath
14-02-2012, 01:55 PM
Season 7 has now begun! This time we have 33 players across five divisions, and the new players have been added to the league in the order in which they registered their participation. You can now start issuing challenges and playing your matches - click here to see the league tables (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvmG4SoJhEYbdFgtbjN3VFE4OUxQTEtSLWVoVmJGX 3c&hl=en_GB#gid=28).

Important: each player has the responsibility of challenging every player above him/her in the appropriate division. That means that, for instance, tpiece in division 2 has to issue two challenges: to CMaster and Desvergeh.

If you are unsure who you should be challenging, look at the second tab on the spreadsheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvmG4SoJhEYbdFgtbjN3VFE4OUxQTEtSLWVoVmJGX 3c&hl=en_GB#gid=29). You need to issue a challenge for each game in which you are Player 1. If you're still unsure, post in this thread or send me a PM.

Game rules and league procedures

1) Each game must conform to the following settings:

Mode: Dark Elimination
Map type: symmetrical
Turn limit: eight turns
Turn duration: five seconds per turn (i.e. 5000 milliseconds - this is the default setting)
Visibility: vis at time zero
Team strength: four men per player, including at least one rocket launcher or grenadier
Server: UK1

Any game that does not conform to these rules will be void and must be replayed. You may not reuse maps - a new map must be generated for each challenge. Please see the next post if you're not sure how to create a game with the correct settings, and post in this thread if you are in any doubt.

2) After creating each game on server UK1, the challenger must state the challenge in this thread. Format: "[Player1] has challenged [Player2] in game [game ID]".

Example: "ColOfNature has challenged WombatDeath in game 123456".

3) After each game has been completed, the player accepting the challenge must report the result in this thread. Standard format: "[Victorious player] has defeated [defeated player] in game [game ID] by [number of men killed by victorious player] men killed to [number of men killed by defeated player]".

Example: "ColOfNature has defeated WombatDeath in game 123456 by 4 men killed to 2".

In the event of a draw, the format is "[Challenging player] and [challenged player] have drawn in game [game ID], killing [number of men killed per player] men each."

Example: "ColOfNature and WombatDeath have drawn in game 123456, killing 3 men each".

I will update the spreadsheet with the result of each game.

4) Challengers may start issuing their challenges from today (Tuesday 14 February). All games must be completed by the end of Sunday 26 February (GMT).

5) We're all reasonable people, probably, so some flexibility will be applied. If you're going to be on holiday, or dead, or otherwise restricted in your availability, please post in this thread and we will try to accommodate you as far as is reasonably practical.

6) Try to start your games in the first week and finish them early. Players leaving it to the last minute to issue a challenge or submit orders risk forfeiting the game. If any game is unfinished by the deadline I will use my discretion and award points to one, both or neither player, depending on the circumstances.

7) At the end of the season the final results will be used to determine the divisions for season 8, according to a fiendishly cunning set of rules which I will arbitrarily put together at some point.

8) Any circumstances not catered for in these rules will be handled according to some combination of common sense, consensus, whimsy and iron-fisted authoritarianism.

Finally, a polite reminder that although PMing your email address to me is optional, it will make organisation easier so please consider doing so if you haven't already.

Good luck!

WombatDeath
14-02-2012, 01:55 PM
How to create a game with the correct settings

This may be useful to those newer to Frozen Synapse:

1) Log in to server UK1.
2) Click the 'Multiplayer' button at the top of the screen
3) Click 'Create a game'
4) Set the game mode to Dark Extermination
5) Click the 'Advanced setup' button
6) Ignore the scary warning and click 'OK'
7) Click the 'Generate symmetrical' button
8) If you get a silly map, or if you don't have four men per side (including at least one rocket launcher or grenadier), go back to (7) and repeat until you're happy.
9) Click the 'Submit' button
10) Ensure that the 'Game mode' is set to 'Extermination'
11) Ensure that the 'Vis mode' is set to 'Vis at time zero'
12) Ensure that the 'Turn limit' is set to 8 (and the 'Turn length' to 5000, which is the default)
13) Enter your opponent's username
14) Enter 'RPS Dark Extermination League' or something suitable so that your opponent knows it's for this league
15) Click the 'Submit' button
16) Take your first turn and note the challenge in this thread, using the format in point 2 of the post directly above this one.

desvergeh
14-02-2012, 02:56 PM
Desvergeh has challenged CMaster in game 465767.

MarvinPA
14-02-2012, 03:26 PM
MarvinPA has challenged tommypepper in game 465776​.

DeVadder
14-02-2012, 03:30 PM
DeVadder has challenged leffe_ in game 465764
DeVadder has challenged marrakoosh in game 465775

edit: nwm ^^

leegeorg07
14-02-2012, 03:37 PM
leegeorg07 has challenged jsutcliffe in game 465784

Jams O'Donnell
14-02-2012, 03:43 PM
jsutcliffe has challenged marrakoosh in game 465789

leegeorg07
14-02-2012, 03:48 PM
leegeorg07 has challenged DeVadder in game 465787
leegeorg07 has challenged marrakoosh in game 465791
leegeorg07 has challenged leffe_ in game 465793

Jams O'Donnell
14-02-2012, 04:01 PM
jsutcliffe has challenged leffe_ in game 465803
jsutcliffe has challenged DeVadder in game 465811

DeVadder
14-02-2012, 04:43 PM
DeVadder has defeated leegeorg07 in game 465787 by 4 men killed to 3.

Rambo Grenade ftw

MarvinPA
14-02-2012, 04:54 PM
MarvinPA has challenged Henke in game 465824.

DeVadder
14-02-2012, 05:05 PM
DeVadder has defeated jsutcliffe in game 465811 by 4 men killed to 3.

I made a new post because i do not know wether you collect the information somehow automatic and might miss an edit, dunno.

edit: And thanks to Marvin, now i didnt even double-post. \o/

Henke
14-02-2012, 05:17 PM
If I'm reading that second tab correctly I don't have to challenge anyone, everyone else will do the challenging. So when I kill you guys it'll be in self-defence! No jury will convict me! MUAHAHAHA GAME ON

brocklehurst
14-02-2012, 07:45 PM
brocklehurst has challenged supanmanu in game 465918
brocklehurst has challenged echodb in game 465923
brocklehurst has challenged tpiece in game 465927
brocklehurst has challenged Desvergeh in game 465929
Brocklehurst has challenged CMaster in game 465933

All my challenges in, apologies if it takes a little while to get through them all.

Good luck all, but not too much

iwem.xo
14-02-2012, 07:48 PM
iwem.xo has challenged Henke in game 465857
iwem.xo has defeated Henke in game 465857 by 4 men killed to 0 (gloaty video here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tKSv7IY7hg))
iwem.xo has challenged tommypepper in game 465900

rodeoclown
14-02-2012, 08:48 PM
RodeoClown has challenged cimethink in game 465980
RodeoClown has challenged WombatDeath in game 465979
RodeoClown has challenged ComradePenguin in game 465977
RodeoClown has challenged Coccyx in game 465976
RodeoClown has challenged lagnut in game 465975

CMaster
14-02-2012, 09:54 PM
Brocklehurst has drawn with CMaster in game 465933 by 2 kills each.

spacein_vader
14-02-2012, 10:00 PM
Spacein_vader has challenged Henke in game 466000
Spacein_vader has challenged tommypepper in game 466004
Spacein_vader has challenged MarvinPA in game 466010
Spacein_vader has challenged Hoodai in game 466013
Spacein_vader has challenged iwem.xo in game 466018

Gotem
15-02-2012, 12:34 AM
gotem has challenged leffe_ in game 466084
gotem has challenged marrakoosh in game 466087
gotem has challenged DeVadder in game 466095
gotem has challenged jsutcliffe in game 466102
gotem has challenged leegeorg07 in game 466103

MarvinPA
15-02-2012, 12:36 AM
iwem.xo has defeated MarvinPA in game 466031 by 3 men killed to 2.

Made loads of mistakes there, lost the early lead and then didn't get the draw either in a desperate attempt at a last minute kill, but ah well. Next time!

DeVadder
15-02-2012, 12:47 AM
gotem has challenged DeVadder in game 466095

I think this is game 466094.
In related news:
DeVadder has defeated gotem in game 466094 by 4 men killed to 0.

iwem.xo
15-02-2012, 01:33 AM
iwem.xo has defeated MarvinPA in game 466031 by 3 men killed to 2.

Made loads of mistakes there, lost the early lead and then didn't get the draw either in a desperate attempt at a last minute kill, but ah well. Next time!

I was about to post about challenging and beating you, but you beat me to it.

Anyway, the early lead caught me by surprise. I didn't expect you to delay your shotgun guy that much. And, as I mentioned, I like that neither of us went for the highly vulnerable grenade dudes at the start. :)

bonuswavepilot
15-02-2012, 10:58 AM
bonuswavepilot has challenged Steuntron in match 466279.
bonuswavepilot has challenged SirQuijote in match 466288.
bonuswavepilot has challenged Baboonanza in match 466293.
bonuswavepilot has challenged Labbes in match 466296​.

leffe_
15-02-2012, 11:22 AM
leffe_ has defeated DeVadder in game 465764 by 4 men killed to 1.
leffe_ has defeated leegeorg07 in game 465793 by 4 men killed to 0.
jsutcliffe has defeated leffe_ in game 465803 by 4 men killed to 3.

DeVadder
15-02-2012, 11:52 AM
leffe_ has defeated DeVadder in game 465764 by 4 men killed to 1.

Awesome game. Both of us blew up walls on turn 1 for our shotguns to charge through but only he did anticipate me to do it and greeted me with a grenade. I seldom was so happy with a plan, looking forward to the turn-out and got that much obliterated.

Jams O'Donnell
15-02-2012, 12:44 PM
jsutcliffe has defeated leffe_ in game 465803 by 4 men killed to 3.
Looking at the replay, I think everybody was killed by explosives: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpiwHBjwZPg

leegeorg07 has defeated jsutcliffe in game 465784 by 4 men killed to 2

leffe_
15-02-2012, 12:51 PM
Looking at the replay, I think everybody was killed by explosives: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpiwHBjwZPg

leegeorg07 has defeated jsutcliffe in game 465784 by 4 men killed to 2
Yep. 5 Rocketkills and 2 Grenades. :(

baboonanza
15-02-2012, 03:16 PM
I'm going to be away until next Wednesday getting some sweet, sweet sunshine. I'll put my challenges in then and I'll be able to play my games quickly afterwards.

Henke
15-02-2012, 06:34 PM
iwem.xo has defeated Henke in game 465857 by 4 men killed to 0 (gloaty video here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tKSv7IY7hg))
That was certainly quick and painful. I have no idea how I managed to fuck up that badly in 1 turn. :|

Hey spacein_vader, I saw you challenged me to two games, I'll gladly play the second one as well, but probably first after this tournament is over. :)

spacein_vader
15-02-2012, 11:01 PM
That was certainly quick and painful. I have no idea how I managed to fuck up that badly in 1 turn. :|

Hey spacein_vader, I saw you challenged me to two games, I'll gladly play the second one as well, but probably first after this tournament is over. :)
Yeah, sorry about that. 1 wasn't set up with the League rules.

iwem.xo beat spacein_vader in game 466018 by 4 kills to 0
MarvinPA beat spacein_vader in game 466010 by 4 kills to 0

Steep learning curve for me :-(

leffe_
16-02-2012, 12:24 AM
leffe_ has def​eated gotem in game 466084 by 4 men killed to 0.

WombatDeath
16-02-2012, 02:08 AM
Splendid, keep the results coming. Due to real life getting in the way I will be out of action until Saturday afternoon, so I'll catch up on my games and the league admin at the weekend.

Fumarole
16-02-2012, 04:03 AM
cimethink has defeated rodeoclown 4:2 in match 465980

That was quite the chess match. We traded units and positions so often I think we were really in each others' heads. Several times our units were close enough to each other that I think the developers should introduce melee weapons.

rodeoclown
16-02-2012, 04:09 AM
Several times our units were close enough to each other that I think the developers should introduce melee weapons.

Backstabs for the win!
Well played, took advantage of a stupid mistake of mine at the start, and won from there!

leegeorg07
16-02-2012, 11:58 AM
Gotem has defeated leegeorg07 in game 466103 by 4 men killed to 0.

Jesus I was terrible. No explosives actually did anything this game!

Easy
16-02-2012, 12:48 PM
supamanu has challenged echodb in game 466916.
supamanu has challenged tpiece in game 466927.
supamanu has challenged Desvergeh in game 466931.
supamanu has challenged CMaster in game 466936.

and that's all my challenges for this season.

Henke
16-02-2012, 04:44 PM
Henke has defeated MarvinPA in game 465824 by 4 kills to 0
Henke has defeated Spacein_vader in game 466000by 4 kills to 0

GG to both of you! :D

Keep at it! :)

3 out of 5 games down, eagerly awaiting challenges from Hoodai and tommypepper.

spcd
16-02-2012, 04:49 PM
I just got challenged by SirQuijote. But the game has only 3 soldiers on each side. The rule is that you need to have 4 right?

So I don't have to play that game? Also he didn't post it here, so I hope he reads this post.

Also, I accidentally challenged you to a normal game

SirQuijote
16-02-2012, 04:52 PM
SirQuijote challenged Steuntron in game 467086.

SirQuijote
16-02-2012, 04:55 PM
True, only 3 soldiers. You're right, I always forget the 4 soldiers rule! Should I re-challenge, or do we play this one?

CMaster
16-02-2012, 05:18 PM
Desvergeh has defeated CMaster in game 465767

I threw away a good early start with some careless moves (I can't really be bothered that much with FS at the moment, so just whack in what seems like a good idea) and at the end I received yet another reminder to never trust simulation. The sim, despite having Des's MG in the right place, never once even showed his MG as beginning to fire, never mind completing the kill

desvergeh
16-02-2012, 05:24 PM
(I can't really be bothered that much with FS at the moment, so just whack in what seems like a good idea) and at the end I received yet another reminder to never trust simulation. The sim, despite having Des's MG in the right place, never once even showed his MG as beginning to fire, never mind completing the kill

That's normally my tactic!

Which MG you referring to?

Thanks for the game.

CMaster
16-02-2012, 05:32 PM
Ooh, that was rather unclear.
Final turn, final kill.

ColOfNature
16-02-2012, 09:01 PM
ColOfNature has issued the following challenges:

cimethink

WombatDeath

ComradePenguin

Coccyx

lagnut

rodeoclown

I'll shortly be starting to upload the videos to the RockPaperSynapse YouTube channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/RockPaperSynapse) for your viewing pleasure. And if you haven't already, why not join the Steam group (http://steamcommunity.com/groups/rpsyn)?

iwem.xo
16-02-2012, 09:07 PM

You'll get there!

Also,
iwem.xo has challenged Hoodai in match 467264.

spcd
17-02-2012, 10:05 AM
True, only 3 soldiers. You're right, I always forget the 4 soldiers rule! Should I re-challenge, or do we play this one?

Maybe it's best if you rechallenge. everyone has games with 4 guys

rodeoclown
17-02-2012, 10:42 AM
The number of guys factors in to the winning calculation in the case of a tie, so you'll need to re-challenge.

SirQuijote
17-02-2012, 01:52 PM
SirQuijote challenged Steuntron in game 467633

SirQuijote defeated Bonuswavepilot in game 466288 by 4 killed to 2

hardboiled
17-02-2012, 02:45 PM
hardboiled has issued challenges

CMaster - 467709
Desvergeh - 467708
tpiece - 467705
echodb - 467704
supamanu - 467703
brocklehurst - 467702

im away until sunday so no action til then

good luck! ill need it

Easy
17-02-2012, 03:11 PM
supamanu has defeated brocklehurst in game 465918 by 4 men killed to 2

brocklehurst
17-02-2012, 07:11 PM
supamanu has defeated brocklehurst in game 465918 by 4 men killed to 2

Division 2 is not a pleasant experience right now. 1 draw, 1 loss, 1 near-guaranteed loss. Just hoping for 3 no-shows...

spacein_vader
17-02-2012, 11:39 PM
Henke beat Spacein_vader by 4 kills to 0.

Fumarole
18-02-2012, 12:48 AM
cimethink 4:0 ColOfNature in match 467265

Three kills for my grenadier in that one.

ColOfNature
18-02-2012, 02:45 AM
I could have kicked myself, leaving those two guys in that box. What a numpty.

desvergeh
18-02-2012, 12:00 PM
Desvergeh has defeated Blocklehurst in game 465929, by 3 kills to 2.

Fumarole
18-02-2012, 04:59 PM
I could have kicked myself, leaving those two guys in that box. What a numpty.I thought you might try rushing your shotgunner across the middle, hence me pulling my gunners back.

WombatDeath
18-02-2012, 05:04 PM
Desvergeh has defeated CMaster in game 465767
What was the score in this game?

WombatDeath
18-02-2012, 05:10 PM
The tables are now up to date! And I am getting minced in my first two games, which doesn't bode well for my chances this season.

rodeoclown
18-02-2012, 07:33 PM
The tables are now up to date! And I am getting minced in my first two games, which doesn't bode well for my chances this season.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm pretty sure you'll win the SG/SG duel at the bottom of our map :)

rodeoclown
18-02-2012, 09:06 PM
rodeoclown drew with colOfNature in game 467288 with 3 men killed apiece.

Woo!
Brought it back from an almost certain loss in the final second of the game... and your GL was nowhere near where I thought he was *mops brow*

That was tense.

Perfectly placed 'nades in the first round though - well read!

ColOfNature
18-02-2012, 09:28 PM
Yep, good game there. I forgot to move the grenader in that last turn and I was desperately hoping he'd make it. No such luck. Ho hum. Well played, that man!

Edit: I just watched that last turn again. That bloody rocketer! I managed to make him fire towards the top of the map and didn't even notice! That'll teach me for trying to play the game via VNC. If I hadn't been so flipping lazy I'd probably have 2 more points. Oh! Woe is me!

WombatDeath
18-02-2012, 10:21 PM
ColOfNature has beaten WombatDeath in game 467270 by 4 kills to 2.

I couldn't believe it when I saw your SG escape the blast at the end there, I was sure I'd managed to level the score. Well played!

ColOfNature
18-02-2012, 10:38 PM
Cheers, I was pretty relieved when that guy snuck round the corner. I got lucky a couple of times there.

WombatDeath
18-02-2012, 11:01 PM
RodeoClown has defeated WombatDeath in game 465979 by 4 kills to 2. Good game!

desvergeh
18-02-2012, 11:08 PM
What was the score in this game?

Ah sorry - 4 kills to 2.

ColOfNature
19-02-2012, 12:28 AM
Are we going to have to outsource the maintenance of the spreadsheet to an objective third party, WombatDeath? I only ask because you appear to be the beneficiary of a particularly unlikely typo.

In related news, the first couple of dozen matches are viewable on Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/user/RockPaperSynapse/videos?view=pl), and are all linked from the "Season 7 raw data (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvmG4SoJhEYbdFgtbjN3VFE4OUxQTEtSLWVoVmJGX 3c&hl=en_GB&pli=1#gid=29)" tab of WD's spreadsheet.

bonuswavepilot
19-02-2012, 04:01 AM
@SirQuijote: gg! I thought things were looking not too bad for a second there, but that's the thing about pride and falls... Was an odd map layout, too...

Henke
19-02-2012, 11:08 AM
Are we going to have to outsource the maintenance of the spreadsheet to an objective third party, WombatDeath? I only ask because you appear to be the beneficiary of a particularly unlikely typo.
Hahaha it's not very subtle is it? :D I'm guessing WombatDeath is joking around with us.

WombatDeath
19-02-2012, 03:12 PM
Oh, dear me, however could that have happened?

*walks nonchalantly away, whistling innocently*

spcd
19-02-2012, 03:23 PM
Steuntron has defeated SirQuijote in game 467663, 4 kills to 2

Easy
19-02-2012, 04:26 PM
tpiece, you're really gonna make this hard for me aren't you? I have this sinking sensation that no matter what I do you'll get the upper hand in the end. And WTF is your second MG? Probably the one that's going to pop me next turn :P

tpiece
19-02-2012, 05:56 PM
tpiece, you're really gonna make this hard for me aren't you? I have this sinking sensation that no matter what I do you'll get the upper hand in the end. And WTF is your second MG? Probably the one that's going to pop me next turn :P

well, i tried but when the SG ended up stupid and bloody I went and lost the plot.

tpiece
19-02-2012, 06:00 PM
supamanu has defeated tpiece in game 466927, 4 kills to 2

brocklehurst deleted/wiped tpiece in game 465927, 4 kills to 1

not sure how I am going to pick myself up after this.. *dreaming of good days of division 3*

WombatDeath
19-02-2012, 07:46 PM
WombatDeath has challenged cimethink in game 469485.

Easy
19-02-2012, 10:25 PM
@tpiece - I wonder how the opening move impacted that game, you lost your RL and I guess I could harass you throughout the rest of the game (although, you popped him eventually, so...). Did it make a difference to you?

So far SE07 has been good to me: 2 wins and 1 draw. I've come a long way since SE05 (all losses) and I learn a lot from watching the replays. Also, I'm not as careless as I used to be and do run a few simulations with both teams before submitting. There was a time when I couldn't be bothered and I don't think you can win at this game if you don't do it.

desvergeh
19-02-2012, 11:01 PM
supamanu has drawn with Desvergeh in game 466931, 3 kills to 3 kills.

bonuswavepilot
20-02-2012, 08:34 AM
Take heart! Both your opponents are more experienced than you, and they won as much as you lost, if you see what I mean.

I hope this is more useful than condescending - had a look at the games and have posted some advice below. Keep in mind I make no claim to being astonishingly good at this game myself - both your opponents are ranked higher than me, and I did abysmally in the last round of the tournament, so pinch of salt and so forth. :)=

This game is a buckshot-filled object lesson in the dangers of the shotgun.

- Generally you want to get your shotgun moving. I can see that in turn 1 you were using yours to cover through the window, which is not a bad idea given the narrow gap, but there is too much danger from below to leave big gaps between you and an entrance. The shotgun always wants to be close. You can see iwem has rushed his straight through the centre.

- On a map with a GL this close to where you start, generally assume it's coming for you and plan to flee.

- Your MG is quite well placed behind cover covering the south entrance, (were it not for the grenade) so long as it is covered on the right flank. The other MG is probably too close to an entrance for a map with a shottie involved. MGs are actually v long range (though it takes a bit longer to fire the further away your target is, I think) - don't be afraid to back 'em off.

- In turn 2, with an enemy shottie that close it is the greater risk; probably should have gone for a grenade in that direction. Where you put it wasn't a bad assumption for where his other units might be coming through though.

- This map has a weird unit mix. Because there is no shottie advantage, it is going to be all about LOS, movement and cover (being destroyed)

- You want to be careful early on with rpg with lots of lines of sight. It is often a good idea to move your units from their start location if it is safe to do so and you're likely to be in a RL's LOS.

- Be careful with crouching - it is not all that useful as a rule. While it can be handy with RLs for destroying cover, and allows you to hide, the time it takes to crouch or rise is a pretty steep time penalty, and being crouched gives no advantage over being still. The time it took to crouch gave you much less firing time with that MG on his RL at the top at the start of turn 2, for example.

...and that's about it, FWIW.

Coccyx
20-02-2012, 10:06 AM
Coccyx has challenged ComradePenguin in game 469902
Coccyx has challenged WombatDeath in game 469907 (yep, 3 rocket launchers. Couldn't resist.)
Coccyx has challenged Cimethink in game 469908

Can I just say, I'm bloody terrified. Looking at all of your stats, I'd be surprised if I manage to get a single one of any of your guys. Looking forward to it.

iwem.xo
20-02-2012, 10:18 AM
Sound advice, bonuswavepilot. I'll add some of my own - hopefully useful - advice for spacein_vader too:

I've just watched the youtube version of 466018 a few times again, and I notice the shotgunner standing, facing north. I don't know if you planned to use him as a diversion, but it's generally a good idea to duck your red herrings just before anything could have killed them, even if according to your simulations you'll probably kill that unit first. I did that with the MG behind cover, which distracted yours long enough for the shotgunner to creep up.

Also, in general: simulate your enemy's turn at least as thoroughly as your own. If you've got a plan for yourself that you're happy with, adjust the enemy's plan to see if you can break your own, and repeat until you're reasonably certain you've got most of the worst case scenarios covered. Try totally insane/high risk plans as well, both for yourself and the enemy.

spcd
20-02-2012, 11:21 AM
Bonuswavepilot has defeated steuntron in game 466279, 3 kills to 2

I am still waiting to be challenged by 3 other people.

bonuswavepilot
20-02-2012, 11:42 AM
@spcd - GG!

Lots of grenades landing to not much effect on both sides (except that early one of yours obviously). Spent the whole game in fear of where your MGs would end up popping out to mow me down...

DeVadder
20-02-2012, 02:46 PM
What does the 'For' and 'Against' columns stand for? Men killed to men lost? Because if that is the case, i lost far more.

spcd
20-02-2012, 03:18 PM
@spcd - GG!

Lots of grenades landing to not much effect on both sides (except that early one of yours obviously). Spent the whole game in fear of where your MGs would end up popping out to mow me down...

Yeah it was a fun match, but also stressful :). Even though I had the advantage in the beginning (2kills with 1 nade) I never felt like I had the upper hand. I was very afraid of your sg :)

Easy
20-02-2012, 05:14 PM
@CMaster - do tell me, turn 5, were you going for my GL, SG or both? I tip my hat. Too bad there's no hand-to-hand combat because your MG and my RL were getting very intimate here...

CMaster
20-02-2012, 05:47 PM
@CMaster - do tell me, turn 5, were you going for my GL, SG or both? I tip my hat. Too bad there's no hand-to-hand combat because your MG and my RL were getting very intimate here...

Both, although more on the idea of avoiding your shotgun than killing it, as I thought it was somewhere up the top.

CMaster
20-02-2012, 05:55 PM
CMaster has deafeated tpiece in game 469437 by 4 kills to 1
(And it would have been 4 - 0 if I hadn't left my bottom MGer staring at a wall, which I'd told him to do for the sake of a sim-test)

CMaster has drawn with supamanu in game 466936by 3 kills each

tpiece
20-02-2012, 05:59 PM
CMaster has defeated tpiece in game 469437, 4 kills to 1

pain....

brocklehurst
20-02-2012, 07:33 PM
supamanu has defeated tpiece in game 466927, 4 kills to 2

brocklehurst deleted/wiped tpiece in game 465927, 4 kills to 1

not sure how I am going to pick myself up after this.. *dreaming of good days of division 3*

Was a lucky RL shot (possibly combined with some unintended distraction from my MG). Thanks for my first (only?) Division 2 win!!

Although, anyone in Division 2 had any turns from Echodb? If not, could be a free 3 points...

tpiece
20-02-2012, 07:46 PM
Was a lucky RL shot (possibly combined with some unintended distraction from my MG). Thanks for my first (only?) Division 2 win!!

Although, anyone in Division 2 had any turns from Echodb? If not, could be a free 3 points...

don't count on it, a focused echodb is lethal

tpiece
20-02-2012, 07:48 PM
tpiece has defeated Desvergeh in game 469436, 4 kills to 0

brocklehurst
20-02-2012, 09:22 PM
don't count on it, a focused echodb is lethal

*Even more hopes of an echodb no show*

iwem.xo
20-02-2012, 11:47 PM
Speaking of which, anyone seen Hoodai or tommypepper?

Gotem
21-02-2012, 01:54 AM
I think this one got forgotten
gotem defeated jsutcliffe in game 466102 4 kills to 1

Ritashi
21-02-2012, 06:24 AM
Sorry for taking so long! Here are all my challenges:

Ritashi has challenged Xune in game 470567
Ritashi has challenged bonuswavepilot in game 470568
Ritashi has challenged Labbes in game 470571
Ritashi has challenged Baboonanza in game 470572
Ritashi has challenged SirQuijote in game 470573
Ritashi has challenged steuntron in game 470574

bonuswavepilot
21-02-2012, 07:32 AM
Hmmm just realised I neglected to put something meaningful in the game comment for the challenges I sent to Labbes and Baboonanza...

Don't know if that is sufficiently awry to count as a disqualified game... Might try PMing them as a reminder and re-challenge if I can't raise 'em that way.

bonuswavepilot
21-02-2012, 08:04 AM
Ritashi has defeated bonuswavepilot in game 470568, 4 kills to 2​.

lagnut
21-02-2012, 08:19 AM
lagnut has challenged cimethink in game 470596
lagnut has challenged WombatDeath in game 470595
lagnut has challenged ComradePenguin in game 470594
lagnut has challenged Coccyx in game 470593

Not sure why I did it in reverse order. Just felt like it I guess.
I know I'm late. I've been sick with a chesty infection. Couldn't hear much, felt really stuffed up. Had the whole week off sick from work. But now I have an actual rec leave week off too!

Some of these might seem like crazy setups, but I've always felt a bit funny about being the one to 'call the shot' so to speak with regard to the map layout - so I honestly just kept clicking 'generate' until the very first one popped up with the correct number (and type) of units, which is corroborated by the sequential game numbers.

Gotem
21-02-2012, 03:54 PM
somethimes the generator does strange things, one of the maps it created was only a wall and NO units

DeVadder
21-02-2012, 04:11 PM
I recently got into a game with no green and 15 red units on an enormous map. First i thought my opponent had used advanced setup to troll, but i had used automatic game-finding, and so had he. We chatted a while and then hid it to never be seen again :)

Henke
21-02-2012, 05:53 PM
Speaking of which, anyone seen Hoodai or tommypepper?

I sent them PMs the other day telling them to make it snappy with the challenges, haven't gotten replies. Starting to look like they're not participating. :(

WombatDeath
21-02-2012, 05:56 PM
Hmmm just realised I neglected to put something meaningful in the game comment for the challenges I sent to Labbes and Baboonanza...

Don't know if that is sufficiently awry to count as a disqualified game... Might try PMing them as a reminder and re-challenge if I can't raise 'em that way.

Yes, send them a PM and it'll be fine.

On a general note to everyone: I'm having trouble scraping much spare time together at the moment but I'll get games/admin/harrassment of the laggards sorted out within the next couple of days. Please keep playing and reporting the results and I'll catch up as soon as I can.

Xune
21-02-2012, 06:08 PM
Xune has challenged bonuswavepilot in game 470853
Xune has challenged Labbes in game 470862
Xune has challenged Baboonanza in game 470871
Xune has challenged SirQuijote in game 470879
Xune has challenged Steuntron in game 470884

iwem.xo
21-02-2012, 06:46 PM
I sent them PMs the other day telling them to make it snappy with the challenges, haven't gotten replies. Starting to look like they're not participating. :(

I got 2 turns from tommypepper, actually. He's behind 4-2 though, so maybe he got discouraged?

Xune
21-02-2012, 10:44 PM
Xune has defeated Ritashi in game 470567, 4 - 0

That opening move worked out far better than I expected. In fact, I didn't realize I had taken out your machine gunner and was confused when the mission ended.

Best of luck in your other matches.

WombatDeath
22-02-2012, 02:53 AM
In order to help me to round up the latecomers, it would be useful if you could all mention anyone who hasn't shown up for a while (with the exception of echodb, Hoodai and tommypepper).

bonuswavepilot
22-02-2012, 07:30 AM
@WombatDeath: mine were Baboonanza and Labbes, but Labbes has now responded to my PM, and I seem to recall Baboonanza saying he was away in the sun for a little while, so probably don't bother adding either of them to your truancy list just yet :)=

baboonanza
22-02-2012, 09:31 AM
Yep, just got back and will be posting my challenges and playing my matches as soon as I can manage.

DeVadder
22-02-2012, 09:56 AM
marrakoosh appears to have gone missing. I got 2 turns from him, but that happened right after my challenge a week ago.

baboonanza
22-02-2012, 01:51 PM
Baboonanza has challenged Steuntron in game 471342
Baboonanza has challenged SirQuijote in game 471350

WombatDeath
22-02-2012, 02:50 PM
cimethink has smacked WombatDeath in game 469485 by 4 men killed to 1. Well played, damn you.

Gotem
22-02-2012, 03:37 PM
I also have an ongoing game with marrakoosh with 2 turns and nothing else

leegeorg07
22-02-2012, 04:12 PM
Another one for no Marrakoosh action.

baboonanza
22-02-2012, 04:57 PM
Baboonanza has defeated Xune in game 47
0871, 4 kills to 0.

Some lucky guessing on my part!

baboonanza
22-02-2012, 04:58 PM
Hmmm. Don't know what's up with that crazy formatting.

ComradePenguin
22-02-2012, 08:06 PM
Can I report myself for not playing any turns yet? To remedy that:

ComradePenguin has challenged WombatDeath in game 471516
ComradePenguin has challenged cimethink in game 471510

Fumarole
23-02-2012, 12:59 AM
cimethink has smacked WombatDeath in game 469485 by 4 men killed to 1. Well played, damn you.You know we've played too many games versus each other when all four of our rocketeers perform the same first round moves.

Xune
23-02-2012, 04:34 AM
Some lucky guessing on my part!

Well played. Re-watching the match, I'm not sure what I thought I was doing charging my grenadier and shotgunners the way I did.

leffe_
23-02-2012, 08:35 AM
marrakoosh appears to have gone missing. I got 2 turns from him, but that happened right after my challenge a week ago.

I also have an ongoing game with marrakoosh with 2 turns and nothing else

Another one for no Marrakoosh action.
marrakoosh is also supposed to have challenged me, but i have recieved none.

spcd
23-02-2012, 11:48 AM
Baboonanza has defeated Steuntron in game 471342, 4 kills by 0

Steuntron has defeated Xune in game 470884 , 4 kills by 2

baboonanza
23-02-2012, 01:23 PM
Ritashi has defeated Baboonanza in game 470572, 4 kills to 1. One good grenade shot made the difference.

spcd
23-02-2012, 03:04 PM
Ritashi has defeated steuntron in game 470574, 4 kills to 1

Ritashi
23-02-2012, 03:15 PM
I haven't gotten a turn from Labbes yet, but I did send my challenges out fairly late.

spcd
23-02-2012, 07:34 PM
I haven't gotten a turn from Labbes yet, but I did send my challenges out fairly late.

He didn't play any matches yet this season. Maybe he is a busy person or something. Last season I did a match against him, and that went fine. But if you look at the Season 6 tab in the spreadsheet you will see he didn't do 2 matches. I am still waiting for him to challenge me, but I have a feeling he won't show up.

rodeoclown
23-02-2012, 08:17 PM
RodeoClown has challenged ComradePenguin in game 465977
RodeoClown has challenged Coccyx in game 465976
RodeoClown has challenged lagnut in game 465975

I'm still waiting on these matches.

ColOfNature
23-02-2012, 08:25 PM
I'm waiting to hear from those lads too.

Edit: spoke too soon - ComradeP is on the case!

Easy
23-02-2012, 09:18 PM
hardboiled and echodb have gone awol, never even played their first turn :/ maybe in vacation?

ComradePenguin
23-02-2012, 09:54 PM
Edit: spoke too soon - ComradeP is on the case!

Sadly the case blew up.

ColOfNature defeated ComradePenguin by 3 kills to 1 in game 467273.

Sorry I haven't started yet Rodeo but the map is hurting my brain for some reason. Will try and get a turn in before tomorrow.

WombatDeath
23-02-2012, 10:49 PM
I've sent out a reminder to our absent-minded brethren (and possibly sistren).

A billion or so thanks to ColOfNature, who has not only kept the spreadsheet up-to-date in my absence but has also improved it immeasurably with the application of some kind of demonic incantation that automagically populates the tables. How does it work? That's not for the likes of us to know, but I distinctly heard distant chanting and a woman screaming when I updated it. Probably best not to think about it, really.

lagnut
24-02-2012, 05:40 AM
Hey cimethink, please disregard our game 470596.

Even though this appears to be a symmetrical map as requested, it's subtly different for our two sides.

Specifically, the doorway on the right for the main building is impassable for me, and not for you.

This was a key factor in me deciding to try and keep you suppressed and bottled up inside the building.
Imagine my surprise when you slipped out the back with no problems at all!

You can of course verify this for yourself by running a sim on my guys.
Everyone else, please see this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNxpO6qXjBo&feature=youtube_gdata_player) as evidence.

I have already started a replacement: 472325.

iwem.xo
24-02-2012, 08:26 AM
Have you tried holding shift to make a non-pathing node?

Labbes
24-02-2012, 12:36 PM
Labbes has chall enged Steuntron in ga me 472446 .
Labbes has challenged Baboonanza in game 472449.
Labbes challenged SirQuijote in game 472455.

@SirQuijote: I just realised that, for several reasons, the map I created sucks. I apologize for that in advance.
@WombatDeath: Thanks for the reminder :) I am in complete lazy mode atm

lagnut
24-02-2012, 01:49 PM
Have you tried holding shift to make a non-pathing node?

As you should know, that only has an effect if the barrier in question is to be destroyed by a rocket. An option I did consider, but it's still pretty uneven that one player would have to blast through when the other can simply walk through.
It also makes me second guess what other subtle differences there might be in this map...

Fumarole
24-02-2012, 02:06 PM
Hey cimethink, please disregard our game 470596.

Even though this appears to be a symmetrical map as requested, it's subtly different for our two sides.

Specifically, the doorway on the right for the main building is impassable for me, and not for you.

This was a key factor in me deciding to try and keep you suppressed and bottled up inside the building.
Imagine my surprise when you slipped out the back with no problems at all!

You can of course verify this for yourself by running a sim on my guys.
Everyone else, please see this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNxpO6qXjBo&feature=youtube_gdata_player) as evidence.

I have already started a replacement: 472325.I've seen this happen before, the maps are not always 100% identical. I always try to generate maps with walls well away form the map edges for this reason. Sometimes it comes down to pixel-perfect placement of waypoints, as I think when I ran a sim I had your grenadier running behind the wall, but that was days ago so may be a faulty memory. I'll check this out after work today.

rodeoclown
24-02-2012, 04:12 PM
I had a map I played last season where it looked like you couldn't move through a gap, but with some fiddling, I was able to do it (took me minutes to get there). It can be a pain though.

brocklehurst
24-02-2012, 08:43 PM
hardboiled and echodb have gone awol, never even played their first turn :/ maybe in vacation?

Hardboiled has been sick, told me should be able to finish games over the weekend

SirQuijote
25-02-2012, 12:48 AM
Baboonanza defeated SirQUijote by 4 killed to 2

SirQuijote
25-02-2012, 01:11 PM
Xune and SirQuijote drew with 3 killed to 3 in game 470879

Xune
25-02-2012, 05:43 PM
Well played. Had me second guessing myself and effectively wasting grenade shots that could and should have easliy taken your last guy out. At least it wasn't a repeat of the 4 - 0 drubbing you gave me last season.

ComradePenguin
25-02-2012, 07:26 PM
ComradePenguin has defeated RodeoClown by 4 kills to 1 in game 465977.

Also I high advise people watch my game with cimethink. Managed to loose all 4 men to one grenade. Silky smooth skills.

Fumarole
25-02-2012, 07:43 PM
Also I high advise people watch my game with cimethink. Managed to loose all 4 men to one grenade. Silky smooth skills.Oh, wow, that's more than I expected. I always find it weird to read about results in the forum before seeing them in-game. So, yeah, 4:0 me in that game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dlZz4KFg2A&amp;list=UUuYbtE1Oc34wXywpnuz9GpA&amp; index=1&amp;feature=plpp_video

ColOfNature
25-02-2012, 07:54 PM
That's gotta hurt!

ComradePenguin
25-02-2012, 08:52 PM
I may have not realised that angle was possible and thought the grenade had to go into the room. Still possibly a bad move to have all my men standing next to each other. At least I got my seasonal loss to cimethink in quickly.

Fumarole
25-02-2012, 08:55 PM
Possibly a bad move? I wonder what you'd consider definitely a bad move then :)

I'm actually surprised you didn't have your grenadiers move up and your gunners move along the bottom to the right. Hindsight and all that, I guess.

Easy
25-02-2012, 09:01 PM
Hardboiled has been sick, told me should be able to finish games over the weekend

Indeed, he's back and kicking my ass.

ComradePenguin
25-02-2012, 09:11 PM
Possibly a bad move? I wonder what you'd consider definitely a bad move then :)

I'm actually surprised you didn't have your grenadiers move up and your gunners move along the bottom to the right. Hindsight and all that, I guess.

I think my sim had my grenadiers getting picked off by your MG if I moved up, and your grenadier at the window stopping me going right. If I had my time again and all that.

desvergeh
25-02-2012, 10:07 PM
Desvergeh has defeated hardboiled in game467708, 4 kills to 1 kill

WombatDeath
25-02-2012, 10:31 PM
WombatDeath has defeated ComradePenguin in game 471516 by 2 kills to 1.

leegeorg07
26-02-2012, 11:43 AM
Is marrakoosh still a no show? He's my only chance at not being last in my division.

Fumarole
26-02-2012, 04:48 PM
As you should know, that only has an effect if the barrier in question is to be destroyed by a rocket. An option I did consider, but it's still pretty uneven that one player would have to blast through when the other can simply walk through.
It also makes me second guess what other subtle differences there might be in this map...I went ahead and played the rematch game. I'd still like to finish the non-symmetrical one though as it bugs me having too many unfinished games in my list. Just for face-shooty fun, of course.

DWZippy
26-02-2012, 05:27 PM
When is the new season?

spcd
26-02-2012, 05:30 PM
Hey, I still have one game to finish. It was started a bit late in this season. Also I have been very sick and still am. Gonna spare you the details. But this green smiley face describes how I am feeling right now.
http://paintermommy.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/sad-unhappy-sick-green-face.png
So hopefully the game will be finished by tomorrow

ColOfNature
26-02-2012, 05:31 PM
We're fast running out of time. I've committed turn 3 in match 467285 against lagnut, and I'm still waiting for signs of life from Coccyx in match 467279.

When is the new season?

Probably in a couple of weeks or so. Keep an eye on this thread.

baboonanza
26-02-2012, 08:35 PM
Shit. I didn't realise we were so close to the end! I've still got 3 games outstanding but I'll do my best to get them done.

Fumarole
26-02-2012, 08:46 PM
I'm still waiting for signs of life from Coccyx Same here, only the first round was played by Coccyx in my game.

rodeoclown
26-02-2012, 08:55 PM
Same here, only the first round was played by Coccyx in my game.
Add me to that list

iwem.xo
26-02-2012, 09:47 PM
I've sent a steam friend invite to tommypepper in a last-ditch attempt to annoy him into finishing our game.
Lost hope for Hoodai though.
I assume the deadline's tomorrow at midnight GMT?

lagnut
26-02-2012, 09:51 PM
lagnut has defeated RodeoClown in game 465975, 4 kills to 1

Coccyx
26-02-2012, 11:21 PM
Sorry guys, I entered this league late and got distracted by other games. I tried to get myself to play but never really felt like it, so gave up. I hope my absence hasn't messed up my division too badly, and that one day I might step back in. Cheers for all the matches I've played up to this point though, It's been fun.

WombatDeath
27-02-2012, 12:19 AM
I assume the deadline's tomorrow at midnight GMT?

The deadline has technically passed, but we'll give it another couple of days (or however long it takes me to be in a position to work out the defaults). So if anyone is still around with unfinished games, there is still time!

Fumarole
27-02-2012, 04:45 AM
cimethink defeated lagnut 4:0 in match whateverthenewnumberis.

baboonanza
27-02-2012, 10:01 AM
I think Labbes late appearance and subsequent ass-kicking may have ruined my chances of winning League 3. Damn you Labbes!

desvergeh
27-02-2012, 11:31 AM
Could someone explain the league tables for me? It's never been an issue for me in previous leagues as I don't tend to win much!

It all makes sense up to the points column. After that I'm unsure on how the For, Against, and GD are calculated. Are For and Against the numbers ok kills to men lost?

Sorry if I'm being dense, but it is monday morning.

iwem.xo
27-02-2012, 12:23 PM
If you select those fields you can see the formulas. For and against are indeed total men murdered and lost, and GD is killed-lost. Also, points are (wins * 3) + (draws * 1).

Labbes
27-02-2012, 12:34 PM
I think Labbes late appearance and subsequent ass-kicking may have ruined my chances of winning League 3. Damn you Labbes!

Just as planned!

I just lost an MG guy to an MG guy even though I was standing and aiming and he was running. What's up with that?

baboonanza
27-02-2012, 12:39 PM
Labbes has defeated Baboonanza in game 472449, 4 kills to 1.

You can make it up to me by beating Ritashi too!

Labbes
27-02-2012, 01:10 PM
You can make it up to me by beating Ritashi too!

It's not looking very good. He was basically doing the same thing as me, only I lost an MG guy more.

desvergeh
27-02-2012, 01:24 PM
If you select those fields you can see the formulas. For and against are indeed total men murdered and lost, and GD is killed-lost. Also, points are (wins * 3) + (draws * 1).

Ok, makes sense.

Thanks.

hardboiled
27-02-2012, 06:27 PM
im still playing - got a game with cmaster (almost finished) supamanu and brocklehurst on the go

beat tpiece
lost to desvergeh
no show from echodb

soz thought it finished tomorrow

CMaster
27-02-2012, 07:06 PM
hardboiled has defeated CMaster in game 467709 by 4 kills to 0
A very, very frustrating game. Nothing worked out at all, despite hardboiled frequently doing just what I'd set out to counter, his units would slip away some fraction of a second before the kill shot, or a rocket would get a kill on a unit I'd thought was well clear...

Labbes
27-02-2012, 09:11 PM
Ritashi has defeated Labbes in game 470571 by a score of 4 to 1.
That game was such a mess.

lagnut
27-02-2012, 09:49 PM
I am so sorry I dropped the ball on this one big time, leaving so many (including our fearless leader) hanging like that. I blame that week long flu because them that gave me 1.5x the workload at work with the usual parsing of email backlog and whatnot.
If y'all are still interested I'll keep playing those games with the understanding that the results don't count towards the league tables.

ColOfNature
28-02-2012, 12:19 AM
That's okay, hope you're feeling better. WombatDeath said we had a couple of days' grace, so you might be able to get some more points in if you're quick about it!

Fumarole
28-02-2012, 12:48 AM
Just as planned!

I just lost an MG guy to an MG guy even though I was standing and aiming and he was running. What's up with that?What's the game number on this one? I might be able to provide some insight.

Ritashi
28-02-2012, 02:39 AM
Just as planned!

I just lost an MG guy to an MG guy even though I was standing and aiming and he was running. What's up with that?

If you're referring to our game, note in the replay that I ran directly up while you angled up and out. I was aiming as I came around the corner and saw you just before you turned towards me. Both of us were aiming, and both of us were moving (turning to aim counts as moving), but I saw you a split second earlier, so my MG won.

Ritashi
28-02-2012, 04:25 AM
I think SirQuijote forgot to report the results of our game, a 4 - 1 victory to me. Game number 470573, for reference.

Labbes
28-02-2012, 08:49 AM
@Ritashi: I was referring to my game with SirQuijote, although the first round of our match will probably haunt me for a while :D

baboonanza
28-02-2012, 09:10 AM
I think SirQuijote forgot to report the results of our game, a 4 - 1 victory to me. Game number 470573, for reference.
Same here. I defeated SirQuijote 4-2 in game 471350.

I only have one game unfinished now (against bonuswavepilot) and that's only one one turn away from finishing I think.

Ritashi
28-02-2012, 02:07 PM
@Ritashi: I was referring to my game with SirQuijote, although the first round of our match will probably haunt me for a while :D

Ah. Ya, our game was crazy, you kept dodging into my explosions - 3 of your guys died by accidentally walking into my explosions. :P That's the problem of trying to guess your opponent's moves, sometimes you overthink it and dodge the totally wrong shot.

baboonanza
28-02-2012, 02:30 PM
Baboonanza has defeated bonuswavepilot in game 466293, 4 kills to 1

spcd
28-02-2012, 06:20 PM
Labbes has defeated steuntron in game 472446, 3 kills to 2

Labbes
28-02-2012, 08:57 PM
Ah. Ya, our game was crazy, you kept dodging into my explosions - 3 of your guys died by accidentally walking into my explosions. :P That's the problem of trying to guess your opponent's moves, sometimes you overthink it and dodge the totally wrong shot.

If you look at turn 1, I would have actually dodged your grenade (and rocket), but I somehow gave my guy an aim command. After losing two MG guys in the first round to my stupidity, I overthought where you'd shoot your next rocket...I have played better games :D

Edit: Also, Labbes lost to Xune in game 470862 by 4-1.
My last guy got hit by shotgun, MG and grenade all at once. He's Rasputin!

Easy
28-02-2012, 09:33 PM
hardboiled and supamanu have drawn on 467703 (2 deaths each).

Not a very good start for me, and a lot of near misses... I'll happily take the draw on this game :)

brocklehurst
28-02-2012, 10:56 PM
hardboiled has finished wiping dogshit off the floor with brocklehurst's face after the 4 nil result in game 467702

WombatDeath
29-02-2012, 12:16 AM
Excellent, thanks for all of the final results. I shall get everything tidied up tomorrow evening, and then we can proceed with the ceremonial crowning and victory candescence of Fumarole.

Fumarole
29-02-2012, 02:29 AM
This season's stats may not reflect it, but I had more tough decisions to make this season than any other. I can't count how many times I let out a sigh of relief when watching turn results. Well played everyone!

Xune
29-02-2012, 06:48 PM
This game has been done for a while now but I can't see where bonuswavepilot has reported it so:

Xune has defeated bonuswavepilot in game 470853, score 4 to 1

Labbes
29-02-2012, 08:46 PM
What's the game number on this one? I might be able to provide some insight.

I saw this only today, the game number is 472455.
Thanks in advance :)

CMaster
29-02-2012, 09:22 PM
So I have to apologise for being rather distracted by game development (http://games.linxsoft.co.uk/index.php/rollz-series/51-rollz) in my free time of late, so by the time I realised I really should be getting on with making videos, I was well behind. However, if people want to nominate some favourite matches, I can almost certainly do a highlights reel.

brocklehurst
29-02-2012, 09:53 PM
So I have to apologise for being rather distracted by game development (http://games.linxsoft.co.uk/index.php/rollz-series/51-rollz) in my free time of late, so by the time I realised I really should be getting on with making videos, I was well behind. However, if people want to nominate some favourite matches, I can almost certainly do a highlights reel.

How about 467709 ;-p

WombatDeath
01-03-2012, 01:02 AM
The season 7 results are more or less complete; just a bit of tidying up to do. If anyone has any info on the following matches please speak up before I award the points to myself:

Division 2
hardboiled vs. tpiece

Division 3
bonuswavepilot vs. Labbes
Labbes vs. SirQuijote

Fumarole
01-03-2012, 01:11 AM
I saw this only today, the game number is 472455.
Thanks in advance :)It looks like the match is still in progress and thus cannot be viewed by non-participants.

Labbes
01-03-2012, 09:56 AM
Unfortunately, SirQuijote didn't take a turn for the last few days.

Edit: Labbes won vs bonuswavepilot in game 466296 by 4-1.

hardboiled
01-03-2012, 03:55 PM
hardboiled beat tpiece 4 - 0 in game....467705

ColOfNature
01-03-2012, 06:51 PM
Lagnut showed up in the end, although I beat him 4-2 in match 467285. He probably deserves the win against Coccyx: it won't make a difference to the standings but fairs fair.

iwem.xo
01-03-2012, 08:07 PM
I don't suppose it matters any more, but I think I was about to beat tommypepper. Should I post a video of the unfinished match?

Also, looking at the spreadsheet, does this mean I'm second?

ColOfNature
01-03-2012, 08:28 PM
WombatDeath has awarded you a win by default in that match, since tommypepper never showed. And it looks like you're first in your group. Congrats!

WombatDeath
01-03-2012, 10:00 PM
Lagnut showed up in the end, although I beat him 4-2 in match 467285. He probably deserves the win against Coccyx: it won't make a difference to the standings but fairs fair.

Yes, good point; I've adjusted the spreadsheet accordingly.

And we're done! As always, congratulations to the division winners and commiserations to those who joined me in suicidal catastrophe. Sign-ups for season 8 will open on Monday-ish.

Easy
01-03-2012, 10:30 PM
Thanks again Wombat for all your efforts and leadership on this most-awesome gathering of tiny-man shooting. And thanks everyone for participating.

DeVadder
02-03-2012, 10:13 AM
Yes, all hail WombatDeath \o/

Henke
03-03-2012, 08:02 PM
Why am I listed as losing against Hoodai? That guy never even challenged me, so surely the forfeit should be on his side.

Also, well played iwem.xo. :)

iwem.xo
04-03-2012, 12:06 PM
Thanks ColOfNature and Henke! I enjoyed these matches a lot, and they turned out much better than I expected.
Thanks to WombatDeath for organizing the thing too!

I'm currently busy getting a new job, but I'll probably sign up for the next league too, when it's announced.

bonuswavepilot
05-03-2012, 08:42 AM
Sorry - forgot to report the two games I was the challenged party in... Looks like my opponents did it in my stead though - thanks folks! See y'all next season...

WombatDeath
06-03-2012, 08:34 PM
Why am I listed as losing against Hoodai? That guy never even challenged me, so surely the forfeit should be on his side.

My mistake; fixed!

WombatDeath
06-03-2012, 08:38 PM
Also, sign-ups for season 8 (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?3409-Frozen-Synapse-dark-extermination-league-season-8) are now open!