PDA

View Full Version : Moving My Skyrim Save To PC?

ffordesoon
08-02-2012, 09:22 PM
(Note to admins: I'm new on this forum, so I'm not sure where to put this thread. Please move it if it's in the wrong section. Sorry for the inconvenience.)

With the advent of the CK, I want to start playing Skyrim on PC. Unfortunately, I've got a 187-hour savegame on the 360 version, and I'd really rather keep playing the game on that save, for obvious reasons. I've heard of a way to do it using a USB drive, but it sounds fishy (http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/615805-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/61061750), and I don't know if the trick still works, so I thought I'd ask around here to see if anyone's done it, and if so, what the results have been.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Anthile
08-02-2012, 09:36 PM
Never heard of any game that supports savegame cross-compatibility and I doubt Skyrim is an exception here.

Althea
08-02-2012, 09:49 PM
Never heard of any game that supports savegame cross-compatibility and I doubt Skyrim is an exception here.
That thread on GameFAQs seems to suggest it works in Skyrim.

deano2099
08-02-2012, 10:00 PM

It's likely it would. I know for Oblivion PC mods would work on the 360 version if you could transfer them over, data structures are all the same.

ffordesoon
08-02-2012, 10:11 PM
The other thing I'm worried about, frankly, is getting banned from Xbox Live. Is that a possibility? I don't know why that would be the case, but I've heard of Microsoft banning people for some pretty ridiculous stuff over the years...

(Oh, and please do continue to provide answers to my first question if you can.)

cjlr
08-02-2012, 10:44 PM
I'm not sure if it would actually be possible to just copy the save, but if you're willing to make the effort, you could devconsole your way to a reproduction. That WOULD be very tedious, but technically quite doable.

Then again, it's just a data file with a bunch of configuration data. There's no theoretical obstacle. Anyone know what sort of filesystem the 360 uses? Whether savedata is encrypted? Someone once told me it was, in order to prevent copying saves to unlock those precious pointless achievements. But that's not exactly a definitive answer.

trjp
09-02-2012, 12:13 AM
Copying your save onto a USB stick and moving that to the PC is something MS couldn't detect in a month of windy Wednesdays...

Tampering with the file and returning it to the XBOX might not be so wise - but I still doubt they have the ability to tell (and not being an online game - they wouldn't really care you'd imagine??).

The only real issue I can see is whether something comes across which causes the PC version to do something weird - it might not even happen straight-off but it could prevent progress in some way at some point - that's a long shot tho and if I had a lot invested but wanted to jump over I'd certainly give it a try!!

PeopleLikeFrank
09-02-2012, 01:15 AM
It's not multiplayer, but every game on Live is "online" to the degree of achievements and such. It might be risky going from PC to 360, no idea.

However, I see nothing in the instructions that suggests it's risky to go 360>PC. You're just copying some files, then extracting on the PC. It's not connected to your Live account in any way at that point.

ffordesoon
09-02-2012, 02:47 AM
Holy shit! It seems to have worked! HA!

Haven't done a lot yet, so it could still break somehow, but I was able to load up my saves and apply the high-res texture pack with no trouble. YESSSSSSSS

Smashbox
09-02-2012, 04:38 AM
I would really like to move my Mass Effect save from console as well and it looks like someone's made a tool to do it. More of things like this please

buemba
09-02-2012, 02:40 PM
Some of the guys on the Giant Bombcast mentioned doing that. The only thing you apparently need to watch for is make sure your version of Skyrim on the PC is either the same as the 360 version or above it.

Tei
09-02-2012, 06:06 PM
Cool stuff :D

archonsod
09-02-2012, 07:58 PM
Anyone know what sort of filesystem the 360 uses?

FATX, which is basically a modern version of FAT32. You can even use it as a FAT disk with *nix. Presumably Windows would recognise it too with a little tweaking - I have a feeling the main reason it won't at the minute has more to do with Microsoft specifically coding it that way than anything to do with the filesystem.