PDA

View Full Version : Minmaxing Kingdoms of Amalur

pakoito
10-02-2012, 02:26 PM
So I'm level 15 and moderately happy with my hammer/sceptre combo, but I think the game could be heavily minmaxed for some paths.

What is the build you have found to be the most effective, item-independently (because I have rare weapons and equip too).

PS: Yes, that's how I am and I kind of hate myself for not being able to fire up the game until I'm playing the most minmaxed build :p

Tei
10-02-2012, 03:25 PM
I am building a rogue/mage. With knifes/chakrams, and I have found 2 items on a set, that give me a extra of a "2 points on all skills". So I say to max a character, you have to find a good set gear, and get all pieces. Or just find gear that give you this bonus "2 points to all *** skills".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tA3Q_3Ol44

R-F
10-02-2012, 04:00 PM
How to play Amalur:-
1. Get greatsword.
2. Use greatsword.
3. Win game.

Srsly, compared to all the other items, greatswords are godlike in terms of damage, speed and juggling ability.

Lukasz
10-02-2012, 04:46 PM
so
try Maxmining then. Max stats which are useless and minimize the one which you need to win the fights. As a challenge.

pakoito
10-02-2012, 08:03 PM
How to play Amalur:-
1. Get greatsword.
2. Use greatsword.
3. Win game.

Srsly, compared to all the other items, greatswords are godlike in terms of damage, speed and juggling ability.

I feel the same with hammer tbh. My equipment and skills are fully geared towards magic, except I have some random points in Might for extra HP and justifying the hammer. Dealing 200+ per hit damage on this level is just w00000t!!

Nalano
10-02-2012, 09:19 PM
Level 12, maxed out bows and poison. Fire ten times, run around 'til I reload, fire ten times. Nothing comes close to hitting me.

Wizardry
10-02-2012, 09:20 PM
Fire ten times, run around 'til I reload, fire ten times. Nothing comes close to hitting me.
Sounds like the best combat system of all time. ;)

Nalano
10-02-2012, 09:31 PM
Sounds like the best combat system of all time. ;)

Congratulations, you've given the Wizardry stamp of approval to Mass Effect and Call of Duty. How does it feel?

ReverendMoosey
11-02-2012, 12:27 AM
Nalano, I may be missing out on some uber-layer of irony from you, but it does seem like Wizardry was being obviously sarcastic.

Nalano
11-02-2012, 12:30 AM
Nalano, I may be missing out on some uber-layer of irony from you, but it does seem like Wizardry was being obviously sarcastic.

Wizardry's commenting on a thread about an RPG that was made after 1992. Of course he's being sarcastic.

So why not have fun?

pakoito
12-02-2012, 01:29 PM
After testing everything, the pure mage path is the most overpowered. The highest-tier spells seal the deal nicely. The combo is: "herd" all enemies, roll, elemental overchargex3, roll in, electrical storm. ~1500 to everyone AoE, more if you have +Sorcery items.

Heliocentric
12-02-2012, 02:37 PM
Haha, one patch and all your work is undone.

I do this too, it's why I held off playing DE:HR, a stupid fear of "playing it sub optimally". I want to see it all in one run so I'll read guides and ruin the experience of discovery.

I'm a dammed fool.

pakoito
12-02-2012, 05:06 PM
Game finished. I had one +50% magic damage potion that I got who knows where, almost 3-shotted the boss.

trjp
12-02-2012, 05:10 PM
I understand minmaxing when it comes to getting levels in an MMO (where all the fun happens when you're maxed-out) or for PvP - but I cannot understand why anyone would bother in a single-player game where you can respec pretty much anytime you like (it's relatively cheap and money isn't in any way in limited supply).

As for the 'one patch and you're screwed' comment - it's a SINGLE PLAYER GAME, why would they bother? :)

trjp
12-02-2012, 05:10 PM
Game finished. I had one +50% magic damage potion that I got who knows where, almost 3-shotted the boss.

SO that's 4-shotted or !?

Walincas
12-02-2012, 05:35 PM
SO that's 4-shotted or !?

I did, as a pure mage - im just that good :)

pakoito
12-02-2012, 05:39 PM
SO that's 4-shotted or !?The bulk of damage came from 3 spells (Electro-Ice-Electro), but in-between I used chakrams during the cooldowns so it's 3 spells + 6 hits.

deano2099
12-02-2012, 07:43 PM
As for the 'one patch and you're screwed' comment - it's a SINGLE PLAYER GAME, why would they bother? :)

Because someone might want the mechanics and experience of playing a certain class without making the game a total cakewalk for themselves. It's one thing to have an 'easy mode', it's another to have one that you stumble upon by accident if you build your character in a specific way.

trjp
12-02-2012, 08:40 PM
Because someone might want the mechanics and experience of playing a certain class without making the game a total cakewalk for themselves. It's one thing to have an 'easy mode', it's another to have one that you stumble upon by accident if you build your character in a specific way.

You could - and I realise this is complicated but bear with me - simply not use the spell/item/weapon or whatever which is so overpowered - a bit of self-control and all that.

If this were a multiplayer game - you'd want a fix to stop other people being 'assholes' - but it's not so you're asking someone to fix something you could just ignore instead...

deano2099
13-02-2012, 12:09 AM
You could - and I realise this is complicated but bear with me - simply not use the spell/item/weapon or whatever which is so overpowered - a bit of self-control and all that.

Yes, but someone might want the mechanics of that ability without making the game a total cakewalk. I've not played it, I don't know what alternatives there are, but I'd imagine if I don't use said over-powered ability, I'm now under-powered as I don't have access to an ability I otherwise should have. If there aren't other abilities that do the same thing at lower power, then I lose a major part of the gameplay for that class.

If it's just a weapon, and there are loads of different weapons that do similar things, yeah, fair enough.

pakoito
13-02-2012, 12:23 AM
It is pretty balanced around the board, but Normal difficulty magic has a bit of an edge, and any difficulties can be overcame by stacking minor potions and mashing the button. In Hard difficulties from what I've heard it is not so viable because you cannot withstand much enemy damage and rolling out is not always the answer.

And the imbalanced stuff, avoiding them altogether is not an option and that's why I quit Skyrim.

Nalano
13-02-2012, 01:17 AM
And the imbalanced stuff, avoiding them altogether is not an option and that's why I quit Skyrim.

In this I'm in agreement with Pakoito: Just because it's a single-player game doesn't mean game balance goes out the window.