PDA

View Full Version : Chris Avellone asks : what would you Kickstart?

equatorian
10-02-2012, 06:12 PM
https://twitter.com/#!/ChrisAvellone (https://twitter.com/#%21/ChrisAvellone)

Comments to go into either Twitter or the Obsidian forums, apparently, but I can't access the latter. I'm assuming that it's down from sheer outpouring of love from the fans.

Apologies if you've seen this already. (And yes, I made a new account just for this. Excite!)

Porcupeth
10-02-2012, 06:14 PM
I'm assuming only certain IPs are possible?

equatorian
10-02-2012, 06:19 PM
He didn't say exactly, but I'm assuming that to be the case, yes. I mean, even if WoTC gives them a license, Planescape isn't on there anymore, and I don't think they can get rights to Star Wars or Fallout.

I'd like to see an original effort from them anyway. You can have spiritual successors and then some.

Wizardry
10-02-2012, 06:24 PM
A proper RPG like Realms of Arkania or something where statistics and equipment matter for everything you try to do. Communicating, travelling, dungeon crawling, fighting, resting, surviving etc. None of this shallow dialogue skill check nonsense.

Feldspar
10-02-2012, 07:55 PM
It would be nice to have an ensemble RPG where you can design the whole party, and not have to choose three companions from a limited choice based on who is most useful and annoys you the least. A new IP, you only end up pissing off the fanboys no matter what you do to existing ones.

Althea
10-02-2012, 07:59 PM
A proper RPG like Realms of Arkania or something where statistics and equipment matter for everything you try to do. Communicating, travelling, dungeon crawling, fighting, resting, surviving etc. None of this shallow dialogue skill check nonsense.
I doubt Obsidian will get hold of the Das Schwarze Auge license.

Wizardry
10-02-2012, 08:25 PM
I doubt Obsidian will get hold of the Das Schwarze Auge license.
Key word: "like".

Hartford688
10-02-2012, 08:27 PM
I'd like a good RPG set in the old "Traveller" universe...

Kadayi
10-02-2012, 08:43 PM

Good luck with that Excel warrior VII

fiddlesticks
10-02-2012, 08:51 PM
Are the Obsidian forums down for anyone else? Either my Internet connection is messing with me, or Chris Avellone's Twitter post got them a lot more attention than they expected.

Kadayi
10-02-2012, 08:56 PM
Are the Obsidian forums down for anyone else? Either my Internet connection is messing with me, or Chris Avellone's Twitter post got them a lot more attention than they expected.

Yes they are it seems.

pakoito
10-02-2012, 09:01 PM
I think some studios may start to think of having a "kickstarter" team taking care of games demanded and funded by public, aside from any other games or creative directions publishers make them take.

Memph
10-02-2012, 09:04 PM
They could perhaps redo/sequelize/finish Bloodlines.

equatorian
10-02-2012, 09:24 PM
But Bloodlines was Troika's....

Wizardry
10-02-2012, 09:25 PM
Good luck with that Excel warrior VII
Excel is a better game than a book.

Althea
10-02-2012, 09:45 PM
They could perhaps redo/sequelize/finish Bloodlines.

But Bloodlines was Troika's....

Plus they'd have to get the IP, which might cost them a pretty penny.

Kadayi
10-02-2012, 09:52 PM
I'd like to see something like a technological thriller set within a persistent open world environment (like a closed colony ship/Island/large orbital space station). Something potentially Sci-fi/Futuristic/Cyber-punk, but without recourse to the usual tropes in terms of visual styling that have become synonymous with those genres, or illogical concessions to game play (Adam Jensen - head of Sarif security having to mooch ammo everywhere for instance). Also something where in violence is rare and the killing of someone is hugely significant.

Excel is a better game than a book.

Ian Livingstone and Steve Jackson disagree.

Memph
10-02-2012, 09:53 PM
Oh aye, course it was. That's from seeing a ToEE suggestion. I figured Troika being nomore and some having gone over to them, if anyone was to do it, Obs would be the ones. Doubt it would even need the IP, just make shit up and throw in vampires.

Wizardry
10-02-2012, 09:59 PM
Ian Livingstone and Steve Jackson disagree.
And every single game programmer will disagree with you.

equatorian
10-02-2012, 10:10 PM
And every single game programmer will disagree with you.

I respectfully think, sir, that requires a Citation Needed.

On another hand, the Obsidian forums are working now---I guess half the server-hammerers just went to sleep---so perhaps we should go forth and make suggestions?

Nalano
10-02-2012, 10:16 PM
What would make me use Kickstarter?

If I knew the guy personally and he believed in profit-sharing.

Other than that, this thread reads like, "what would you like to see in a game?"

SirKicksalot
10-02-2012, 11:28 PM
That post-apocalyptic isometric RPG that Troika was building when it collapsed. Finish that thing, then make another spy RPG.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzYmQyHl2bc

Kadayi
10-02-2012, 11:38 PM
What would make me use Kickstarter?

If I knew the guy personally and he believed in profit-sharing.

Other than that, this thread reads like, "what would you like to see in a game?"

Well I think the idea is that they are sounding out their fanbase for suggestions before considering their options.

Nalano
10-02-2012, 11:42 PM
Well I think the idea is that they are sounding out their fanbase for suggestions before considering their options.

When are they not doing that?

Kadayi
11-02-2012, 12:19 AM
When are they not doing that?

Obsidian themselves? I don't know. I'm not sure they pay that much attention to their fan base more than any other developers tbh. Listening to fans is not always the best course of action anyway, as by on large (and as can been seen by the innumerable comments regarding Planescape torment) essentially most people just want a nostalgia fix rather than something wholly new.

Nalano
11-02-2012, 12:37 AM
Obsidian themselves? I don't know. I'm not sure they pay that much attention to their fan base more than any other developers tbh. Listening to fans is not always the best course of action anyway, as by on large (and as can been seen by the innumerable comments regarding Planescape torment) essentially most people just want a nostalgia fix rather than something wholly new.

What I'm saying is that this is tantamount to market research, and market research is not groundbreaking.

equatorian
11-02-2012, 01:49 AM
Does it need to be groundbreaking? Let them know they have a ready audience and a general direction of what that audience wants, they'll pitch their REAL ideas. Then we donate and everyone profits. The groundbreaking part is what comes next (and really, it's been broken by Tim Schafer anyway).

Kadayi
11-02-2012, 01:52 AM
What I'm saying is that this is tantamount to market research, and market research is not groundbreaking.

Market research tends to offer you choices in terms of your responses, where as this seems to be more pooling for ideas as to a direction they can take. I'd say it's more an open question than anything else.

Nalano
11-02-2012, 02:01 AM
Market research tends to offer you choices in terms of your responses, where as this seems to be more pooling for ideas as to a direction they can take. I'd say it's more an open question than anything else.

Market research is a blanket term that encompasses more than poll questionnaires.

Kadayi
11-02-2012, 02:19 AM
By your slim rationale any question asked by a company = market research. When I'm in starbucks and the pixie dream girl behind the counter ask's me what I want to drink it's not market research, it's establishing what my order is. Not everything is a shadowy corporate conspiracy....

Also even if they were actually polling so what? Like equatorian says it doesn't need to be groundbreaking.

deano2099
11-02-2012, 03:10 AM

The fanbase is not the market. Not for a traditional title.

Voon
11-02-2012, 03:22 AM
I'd say Alpha Protocol. That said, make that something like a spiritual successor to it, like Fallout to Wasteland. But I wished that they'd made it something more like an actual espionage game rather than shoot-through/stealth-through levels kind of game.

Nalano
11-02-2012, 07:24 AM
By your slim rationale any question asked by a company = market research. When I'm in starbucks and the pixie dream girl behind the counter ask's me what I want to drink it's not market research, it's establishing what my order is. Not everything is a shadowy corporate conspiracy....

What the fuck are you talking about? Jesus Tapdancing Christ, dude, stop huffing that paint.

The fanbase is not the market. Not for a traditional title.

lolwut?

Wooly Wugga Wugga
11-02-2012, 09:04 AM
I'd love to see a MegaTraveller RPG from them. In terms of universe it is something that hasn't been done for a very long time and it has huge creative potential.

Kadayi
11-02-2012, 09:06 AM
I'd say Alpha Protocol. That said, make that something like a spiritual successor to it, like Fallout to Wasteland. But I wished that they'd made it something more like an actual espionage game rather than shoot-through/stealth-through levels kind of game.

That's kind of what I'd be after when I talked about a technological thriller. I thought the writing in AP was was bang up and overall I enjoyed the Storyline, but fundamentally it was a case of you moving through a series of A - B missions with very little action outside of those arenas. Albeit you're supposed to be in Rome or Moscow, it's not like your ever really walking the streets of those Cities. The whole sense of being somewhere different solely comes down to the styling and the voice work.

What the fuck am I talking about? Jesus Tapdancing Christ, dude, I need to stop huffing that paint.

Fixed for accuracy.

lolwut?

If Obsidian essentially turned back the clock of technology and delivered a turn based, isometric sequel to Planescape then albeit it would make a bunch of gaming nerds very very happy, it wouldn't necessarily hold much commercial appeal for the broader public who aren't bound up in nostalgia for the antiquated mechanistic nature of old games versus the more familiar third/first person RPGs like Skyrim/FO3/ME/DA & TW. The amount of gamers who actively make up game forums is a miniscule % Vs the larger public, and their tastes. We're in the early days of the talkies and technocolour and a small minority want to see a return to B&W silent movies in effect.

Were the budget low enough then I don't doubt there's probably enough hardcore fanbase appeal to make a game that would pay for itself. However probably not enough to really build future development upon (you want your game to sell enough to help fund your next title), unless Obsidian drastically downsized in the process.

Tuco
11-02-2012, 11:34 AM
On Twitter, he reacted with a fair amount of enthusiasm about the suggestion to make a spiritual successor of Microprose's Darklands, which would be pretty much one of the greatest things ever.

deano2099
11-02-2012, 02:19 PM
lolwut?

You go to a publisher a pitch a game that's exactly what your 'fanbase' want and that publisher will say 'how big is your fanbase?' and then laugh you out of the room. Because although that market might be enough to break even on development costs, it's probably not enough to break even on distribution and marketing costs, and sure as hell isn't enough for a publisher to bother investing in when there are titles with much wider appeal that will make much more money.

Kickstarter allows you to end-run that, as you don't need to impress a publisher to get funding, so you can get away with selling a lot less copies as you don't need their upfront investment.

That's the huge difference here. The games industry is currently set up to make tons of profit for investors. A game run on kickstarter doesn't need to make a profit - it's nice if it does, as it lets you fund the next game, but ultimately Double Fine are now in a position where they can afford to pay all their staff for the next year or so and work on the game they want to work on. Even if the game were to only break-even in the end, it wouldn't matter.

Voon
11-02-2012, 03:47 PM
That's kind of what I'd be after when I talked about a technological thriller. I thought the writing in AP was was bang up and overall I enjoyed the Storyline, but fundamentally it was a case of you moving through a series of A - B missions with very little action outside of those arenas. Albeit you're supposed to be in Rome or Moscow, it's not like your ever really walking the streets of those Cities. The whole sense of being somewhere different solely comes down to the styling and the voice work.

Well, it's not like I'm asking AP to be a free-roam. I loved the story, too. The dialogue, the voice works, the plot, all good. It's just the missions felt too simplistic. Incredibly linear, even. Obsidian just need to make the missions more elaborate. Give it a few twists, plans straight out of a heist movie or hell, something like Splinter Cell or Hitman. I'm just asking the levels need to be a bit more complex and interesting to match the well-crafted story

Kadayi
11-02-2012, 04:39 PM
Well, it's not like I'm asking AP to be a free-roam. I loved the story, too. The dialogue, the voice works, the plot, all good. It's just the missions felt too simplistic. Incredibly linear, even. Obsidian just need to make the missions more elaborate. Give it a few twists, plans straight out of a heist movie or hell, something like Splinter Cell or Hitman. I'm just asking the levels need to be a bit more complex and interesting to match the well-crafted story

I hear what you are saying. I'm not after a massive open world experience like Skyrim. However at the same time I don't want something that is simply a series of linear missions off of a base hubs (ala AP). It doesn't seem to me that anyone has really attempted to explore a middle ground (I may be wrong in that regard). Namely a game that couples narrative depth with a degree of freedom. It's hard to put across as an abstract, so I'll try and paint a vague scenario: -

Envisage you're part of a crew of about 50 - 60 in a research facility out somewhere in deep space either on a inhospitable planet/moon space station, and the overarching storyline is about surviving an impending catastrophe until earth/the federation etc send a rescue team. The decisions you make and the alliances you build with your fellow crew members impact upon how things play out. For example do you risk trying to rescue the team that get trapped out in a blizzard due to vehicle failure and risk the lives of more people, or do you try and come up with a better plan? What's the blowback on your success or failure? How does the heavily pregnant wife of that engineer who you sent to his death react when you break the news to her? Does she blame you? Him for being foolhardy? Those idiots who went off ill prepared in the first place? How does her grief impact future events? Does she lose hope? The will to live? Maybe even the baby? What if it's a relief to her given the baby wasn't even his in the first place? In fact why was it that the couplings on the rescue vehicle went?.....

A limited arena, but with NPCs who have their own agendas and unique reactions to events could be a really interesting place to explore.

TailSwallower
11-02-2012, 08:02 PM
The game I most want to play, and would love for Obsidian to finish is Van Buren (the codename for the original Fallout 3 before Interplay killed BIS). Chuck out the multiplayer aspect that Interplay were insisting on (unless it was actually good, which I doubt), but otherwise make the game the way they were going to make it back in the day.

Apart from that I want a top-down, turn-based RPG in a non-fantasy setting.

Wizardry
11-02-2012, 09:10 PM
If Obsidian essentially turned back the clock of technology and delivered a turn based, isometric sequel to Planescape then albeit it would make a bunch of gaming nerds very very happy, it wouldn't necessarily hold much commercial appeal for the broader public who aren't bound up in nostalgia for the antiquated mechanistic nature of old games versus the more familiar third/first person RPGs like Skyrim/FO3/ME/DA & TW. The amount of gamers who actively make up game forums is a miniscule % Vs the larger public, and their tastes. We're in the early days of the talkies and technocolour and a small minority want to see a return to B&W silent movies in effect.
Why are you so bitter? The RPGs you hate so much haven't been made for over a decade. While you are being catered for constantly with multiple high budget releases every year, why can't the little guys get something they will enjoy through an alternative funding scheme like kickstarter? What is so wrong with that? I sense much greed within you. "HOW DARE A TURN-BASED RPG BE MADE ON MY WATCH!"

You are why we can't have nice things.

Kadayi
11-02-2012, 09:24 PM
Why are you so bitter? The RPGs you hate so much haven't been made for over a decade. While you are being catered for constantly with multiple high budget releases every year, why can't the little guys get something they will enjoy through an alternative funding scheme like kickstarter? What is so wrong with that? I sense much greed within you. "HOW DARE A TURN-BASED RPG BE MADE ON MY WATCH!"

Bitter? More bemused. Either way though given the D&D licence is owned by someone else I can't see PS:T2 being a goer regardless of how much people seemingly want it unless there are some monumental metrics at play to convince other parties it's viable. As a title it might well sell to us PC folk, but it's got zero audience on PS3 on 360. At best a studio like Obsidian could run a small team on it as a sideline to a larger project, but the reality is it would be better handled by a smaller studio under licence.

Althea
11-02-2012, 10:12 PM
Bitter? More bemused. Either way though given the D&D licence is owned by someone else I can't see PS:T2 being a goer regardless of how much people seemingly want it unless there are some monumental metrics at play to convince other parties it's viable.
As was mentioned in the comments on one of the stories, Wizards of the Coast have withdrawn the Planescape setting, ergo they would be very unlikely to grant Obsidian access to it as there's no official 4e (or 5e if we're thinking that far ahead, and it is in the works IIRC) campaign guide nor set of customised rules for them to base theirs on.

Kadayi
11-02-2012, 10:26 PM
As was mentioned in the comments on one of the stories, Wizards of the Coast have withdrawn the Planescape setting, ergo they would be very unlikely to grant Obsidian access to it as there's no official 4e (or 5e if we're thinking that far ahead, and it is in the works IIRC) campaign guide nor set of customised rules for them to base theirs on.

I'm not entirely convinced the majority of people calling fot PS:T2 necessarily want more Plane scape per se, but more that particular style of game. Still for a kickstarter project Obsidian are far better off pursuing an original IP they can own and grow themselves, rather than having to shelf out licencing money to some else for sure.

Lukasz
11-02-2012, 10:35 PM
Well... I do want more of Planescape. i do not want Planscape Torment 2 but I believe the setting is incredible and can offer a lot. It is such a great change from traditional Tolkienish fantasy
Therefore it is unfortunate that WoC does not support it anymore. I am fed up with Dwarves who mine, Elves who live in forests, big castles, mage towers and so on and on.

Nalano
11-02-2012, 10:57 PM
Fixed for accuracy.

Dude. You really need to stop. Your shit is grating. Your craven dismissal of differing viewpoints and smug condescension on the inapplicability of my voice is pathetic. And you must understand: This is me being nice. I don't have to be nice.

Althea
11-02-2012, 11:04 PM
I'm not entirely convinced the majority of people calling fot PS:T2 necessarily want more Plane scape per se, but more that particular style of game. Still for a kickstarter project Obsidian are far better off pursuing an original IP they can own and grow themselves, rather than having to shelf out licencing money to some else for sure.
Oh, definitely, although using a home-grown IP would still cost money in terms of development, legal stuff and so on.

That said, I'd disagree a bit about the not-calling for more Planescape. Very few people seem to be making the distinction, so I would assume a sequel or related game would be what they're after.

Kadayi
11-02-2012, 11:34 PM
Well... I do want more of Planescape. i do not want Planscape Torment 2 but I believe the setting is incredible and can offer a lot. It is such a great change from traditional Tolkienish fantasy Therefore it is unfortunate that WoC does not support it anymore. I am fed up with Dwarves who mine, Elves who live in forests, big castles, mage towers and so on and on.

Well there's no reason that they couldn't do something that encapsulated those elements but without recourse to 'planescape itself'.

@Nalano

If your words had any weight they'd stand up on their own merits. Plain truth of the matter is by on large they don't and you never ever think to remotely question the validity of your own beliefs (the bulk of which seem to revolve around AAA publishers somehow being akin to war criminals as they are all part of the grand capitalist machine). I'm not the only one in this thread laughing at your comment about Chris Avellone asking a broad question of the gaming community being 'market research', as if 'market research' was somehow a capital offence and to be frowned upon. Please also no more of this O/T commentary, it's tedious shit and frankly I don't think anyone cares for it (least of all the Hivemind). Instead make cohesive arguments in future. For example think EA are in fact the devil? Test it out for its validity and only then if it holds up to serious scrutiny, post it.

@Althea

Oh, definitely, although using a home-grown IP would still cost money in terms of development, legal stuff and so on.

I doubt Obsidian lack for ideas in that department. Plus when it's your IP you aren't having to run things through with the licensees as to what you can and can't do.

Althea
11-02-2012, 11:51 PM
I doubt Obsidian lack for ideas in that department. Plus when it's your IP you aren't having to run things through with the licensees as to what you can and can't do.
No, but you still have to get the ideas into a coherent form, get enough backgrounding (at least) for the game itself, write the plots, develop the characters, then go through the process of trademarking or copyrighting and so on. I would guess the average Star Wars game costs less to develop due to a lot of it already existing in some form, for example.

Kadayi
12-02-2012, 12:06 AM
No, but you still have to get the ideas into a coherent form, get enough backgrounding (at least) for the game itself, write the plots, develop the characters, then go through the process of trademarking or copyrighting and so on. I would guess the average Star Wars game costs less to develop due to a lot of it already existing in some form, for example.

You're jumping the gun a bit by worrying about characters and plots Vs your basic world building. You look at something like DA for example. Sure on a broad level they had an idea of plot (Blight Vs grey wardens) but doing things like establishing the relationship between the races, the power structure and the religious beliefs and the various factons/interests had to occur before they could get down to the specifics. The advantage with your own IP is that if the plot requires some massaging of the game world, you're in a position to do it, however with an existing IP like Star Wars/Star trek your running up against canon, as well as a lot of daftness that might work in a film/TV series but doesn't necessarily translate that well into a game.

Lukasz
12-02-2012, 12:28 AM
Well there's no reason that they couldn't do something that encapsulated those elements but without recourse to 'planescape itself'.
Actually... there is a lot of reasons. It is possible of course but:

Creating completely unique world akin to Planescape, with own rules, lore, geography is I would assume quite hard. You can not base it on standard fantasy cliche so present in every media, nor you can't borrow from either sci-fi genre or real world... at least too much. You have to abandon regular, widely-accepted ideas and let your creativity flourish.
This takes time and people. WoC had both as it was their main product, the setting. Game developers have many other things to worry about, setting not being even the most important one.

It is entirely possible for Obsidian or anyone else to create a world comparable in uniqueness and complexity of Planescape but I do believe it is extremely hard and why it is not often attempted

Kadayi
12-02-2012, 01:01 AM
Creating completely unique world akin to Planescape, with own rules, lore, geography is I would assume quite hard.

You only need as much world as your game is presently operating in. Certainly with any game there's a hefty design document behind it, but largely it's going to be descriptive rather than prescriptive when it comes to the wider reaches. Unless your travelling to the City of Antares there's little necessity to flesh it out beyond ' A Northern City on the fringes of the empire, under the dominion of House Markaven. Renowned for the high quality of it's metal work and jewelry'.

Take the writing of any serial author, for instance G.R. Martin and it's clear that the world is being fleshed out (especially when it comes to locations) as the story advances.

You can not base it on standard fantasy cliche so present in every media, nor you can't borrow from either sci-fi genre or real world... at least too much. You have to abandon regular, widely-accepted ideas and let your creativity flourish.

Says whom exactly? Consider something like the Witcher. It's got Elves and dwarves, but it's fair to say that Sapkowski has taken his own unique stab at integrating them into his fantasy universe. It's not always necessary to reinvent the wheel, Vs simply re-configuring it.

Voon
12-02-2012, 03:38 AM
The game I most want to play, and would love for Obsidian to finish is Van Buren (the codename for the original Fallout 3 before Interplay killed BIS). Chuck out the multiplayer aspect that Interplay were insisting on (unless it was actually good, which I doubt), but otherwise make the game the way they were going to make it back in the day.

That'll be hard to do. Fallout New Vegas is practically Van Buren: Western Edition, to start with. And bits of the Van Buren plot and characters have already been referenced into NV itself through DLC, characters, plot, etc. For example, Ulysees.

Wizardry
12-02-2012, 05:50 AM
That'll be hard to do. Fallout New Vegas is practically Van Buren: Western Edition, to start with. And bits of the Van Buren plot and characters have already been referenced into NV itself through DLC, characters, plot, etc. For example, Ulysees.
Van Buren: FPS Edition.

Voon
12-02-2012, 06:06 AM
Van Buren: FPS Edition.

With cowboys

equatorian
12-02-2012, 06:54 AM
Let's not have an ideological argument here, shall we? As fun as those are in Planescape :Torment, the fun quickly evaporates when we're in an internet forum setting.

Regarding licensed products --- my two cents here is that they're much better off doing something original. That way, if they actually make something of Planescape quality again (doubtful considering budget, but it's not impossible), they can actually make a sequel---which is what people wanted with Planescape, right---create lasting changes in the world, etc. The cost of licenses is also higher than most people expect, I'd surmise, unless you have a very good pitch. Obsidian have been making mostly licensed games, so they presumably know how to pitch their licensing, but I still think it's much better for them in the long run if they could make an original IP of their own. (I really don't want a repeat of KOTOR2's Development Hell...)

As far as 'original ideas cost money too' is concerned : Obsidian has a couple of original projects they had to cancel due to lack of funding. I'm sure the design assets of some of these could be cannibalized, and I'm sure they have ready ideas for games they can't make because they'd never get greenlighted.

TailSwallower
12-02-2012, 12:40 PM

You're right of course, but I simply wouldn't care. I, and presumably everyone else who wants to play Van Buren as it was originally intended, can forget about all that FPS nonsense. Package it as some sort of alternate history Fallout game, Fallout Classic or something.

I doubt it will ever happen, but we're just talking here...

But yeah, otherwise I want an interesting sci-fi or modern-day setting, not D&D-based, not fantasy. A P:T follow-up/spiritual successor is the only exception here.

agentorange
12-02-2012, 12:46 PM
You're right of course, but I simply wouldn't care. I, and presumably everyone else who wants to play Van Buren as it was originally intended, can forget about all that FPS nonsense. Package it as some sort of alternate history Fallout game, Fallout Classic or something.

I doubt it will ever happen, but we're just talking here...

But yeah, otherwise I want an interesting sci-fi or modern-day setting, not D&D-based, not fantasy. A P:T follow-up/spiritual successor is the only exception here.

I was actually just talking with a friend yesterday about how much I would like to see them revive Van Buren. It's impossible of course, with licensing and all that bullshit, but it would so damn great if they could. They had put so much work into that game before it was shut down.

However I would also love to see a cyber-punk RPG which uses the Fallout mechanics. That was one of the big genres that should have gotten an isometric RPG based on it.

Also Journey to the Centre of Arcanum. But I think that was going to be a first person RPG like VTMB.

Squiz
12-02-2012, 01:14 PM
I was actually just talking with a friend yesterday about how much I would like to see them revive Van Buren. It's impossible of course, with licensing and all that bullshit, but it would so damn great if they could. They had put so much work into that game before it was shut down.So in theory, the remains of their work could be salvaged and shaped into something that's not part of the Fallout IP if that isn't prevented by intelectual propety shenanigans, right? And possibly be funded by a Kickstart. :)

TailSwallower
12-02-2012, 01:41 PM
So in theory, the remains of their work could be salvaged and shaped into something that's not part of the Fallout IP if that isn't prevented by intelectual propety shenanigans, right? And possibly be funded by a Kickstart. :)

Well, Bethesda own Van Buren, so anything related to the game (including the code) is probably in their offices in a dark closet somewhere. Obsidian and Beth (presumably) have a good relationship after NV, but it's still not as simple as Obsidian scratching the serial number off the code and polishing it up - they need to get the code first, so if that ever happened I assume Bethesda would want it released as a Fallout game for the attention and sales that alone would generate.

The main thing that caught my attention about Van Buren was how the player was actively racing against the antagonist, meaning the game could play out differently depending on how quickly they moved (as well as all the usual choice & consequence stuff that would have been in the game). Also, the game opening in a prison with the PC as a prisoner, either wrongly or rightly convicted sounded fascinating.

But there's no reason they can't take that opening, and the time mechanic and put those into a new property. Everyone would know where it came from, but Bethesda couldn't sue as long as it wasn't obviously Fallout.

Voon
12-02-2012, 03:34 PM
Well, the could make another Fallout pretty much in the same vein as Van Buren, though. Just keep the important parts in the game, like the player controlling the B.O.M.B satellite to decide whether he/she is going to create a new nuclear holocaust or not, vague or at least similar to it. And keep the Beth writers out of the plot. I mean, seriously

Grizzly
12-02-2012, 04:59 PM
The main thing that caught my attention about Van Buren was how the player was actively racing against the antagonist, meaning the game could play out differently depending on how quickly they moved (as well as all the usual choice & consequence stuff that would have been in the game).

This was originally supposed to be part of FO1 but was cut from the game. There's a mod on NMA that restores it.

It does make the game... rather hard.

TailSwallower
12-02-2012, 08:21 PM
This was originally supposed to be part of FO1 but was cut from the game. There's a mod on NMA that restores it.

Thanks for the heads-up. Might be the thing that makes the game different enough for me to give the game another playthrough.

Lukasz
12-02-2012, 11:49 PM
I played that mod and all I could think was Pokemon and that nemesis of yours who you fight from time to time. Stupidest thing ever.

fiddlesticks
13-02-2012, 12:48 AM
Do you have a direct link to the mod in question? I couldn't find it on No Mutants Allowed.

I played that mod and all I could think was Pokemon and that nemesis of yours who you fight from time to time. Stupidest thing ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjA4SgVDmh4

He may be a giant douche, but his theme music is really catchy.

agentorange
13-02-2012, 06:12 AM

I believe you're thinking of Fallout 2. The Restoration Patch added in the lost sub-quest wherein you encounter another member of your Tribe - he was sent to find the GECK and failed I think - who sees you as a rival; you have to fight at certain points throughout the story, and each time he is better equipped.

Grizzly
13-02-2012, 06:31 AM
Do you have a direct link to the mod in question? I couldn't find it on No Mutants Allowed.

Certainly has been a while! Here's the wiki page (http://falloutmods.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_Restoration_Mod).

Here's another mod which has it as an optional feature (http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57362)

Prokroustis
14-02-2012, 12:35 PM
Most are forgetting that this is about a kickstarter project. That means no worries about sales, breaking even, funding for any sequel, port to other platforms etc. It also means no big budget. Despite how impressive Schaefer's kickstarter was, and I do believe Avellone can pull something similar, any big or licensed titles are probably too difficult to happen. What is doable and I would back in the end though is an isometric RPG (plus for great 2D art) in the vein of either Fallout or Planescape with their trademark good story and text based dialogue. It would be more limited is scope ofc, but if it turned out nicely it would be a great nostalgia fix (and why shouldn't it be, its being funded by the fans) and even perhaps spark a new interest in more traditional RPGs (instead of going the DA2 route..) One can hope.