PDA

View Full Version : Gabe on last year's Steam intrusion

Heister
11-02-2012, 02:00 AM
"Message from Gabe to Steam Community

Announcement - Valve
19:07

Dear Steam Users and Steam Forum Users:

We continue our investigation of last year's intrusion with the help of outside security experts. In my last note about this, I described how intruders had accessed our Steam database but we found no evidence that the intruders took information from that database. That is still the case.

Recently we learned that it is probable that the intruders obtained a copy of a backup file with information about Steam transactions between 2004 and 2008. This backup file contained user names, email addresses, encrypted billing addresses and encrypted credit card information. It did not include Steam passwords.

We do not have any evidence that the encrypted credit card numbers or billing addresses have been compromised. However as I said in November it's a good idea to watch your credit card activity and statements. And of course keeping Steam Guard on is a good idea as well.

We are still investigating and working with law enforcement authorities. Some state laws require a more formal notice of this incident so some of you will get that notice, but we wanted to update everyone with this new information now.

Gabe" http://store.steampowered.com/news/7323/

"Recently we learned that it is probable that the intruders obtained a copy of a backup file with information about Steam transactions between 2004 and 2008. This backup file contained user names, email addresses, encrypted billing addresses and encrypted credit card information. It did not include Steam passwords."

Everything else bar Steam passwords. That's nice.

Moraven
11-02-2012, 02:07 AM
Still never received a email about the 1st press release. Heard from news and some random steam popup AFTER I exited a game.

Tei
11-02-2012, 09:17 AM
I think the people that buy stuff on the internet we need to change credit cards every 2 years and make it a habit.

While people like Steam will honour the USA law, and report a leaking, other people you may be buying stuff may ignore the law, or not even know about the leak. By killing old credit cards, getting new ones, we can stop our most important data from ben a issue for us in old unpatched servers somewhere on random companies.

Anyway, I pay a lot of stuff with paypal, to avoid giving my information directly to anyone. That way theres a single point of breakage (paypal) and not hundreds around the internet.

soldant
11-02-2012, 11:58 AM
No system is flawless. Even on Steam, you're not safe. Still, records going back to 2004? That's getting close to the genesis of the store aspect of Steam.