PDA

View Full Version : Has EA Quited PC Game Selling All Together?

squirrel
11-02-2012, 07:01 AM
I've been looking forward to Kingdoms of Amalur for some months. Not exactly that I maintained high expectation for the game, but at least I expected it to be something. It was out recently and I shopped for the disc version. I read the spec. req. to find out that it requires online activation to run.

I know EA has been requiring online activations for its games for some years, and EA Origin is merely a new platform for activation, the online activation requirement practice had been resumed before its launch. But, that says EA has stopped selling true ownerships of PC software to customers, it now only leases software, like UBI or 2K do?

Nalano
11-02-2012, 08:39 AM
No games company sells games. All games companies lease games. That's kinda the point of all those EULAs. They're having their cake and eating it too. It's just us gamers' perception of property that hasn't kept up.

I'm not condoning it. I'm just reporting it.

Kadayi
11-02-2012, 09:31 AM
Has EA Quited PC Game Selling All Together?

No. 10 char.....

Tei
11-02-2012, 10:14 AM
No games company sells games. All games companies lease games. That's kinda the point of all those EULAs. They're having their cake and eating it too. It's just us gamers' perception of property that hasn't kept up.

Game, from Penny-Arcade, said it better. Want to sell you something, and still own it.

R-F
11-02-2012, 10:29 AM

They think that they're doing that, but legally it just doesn't stand up.

No. 10 char.....

As per usual, Kadayi greatly contributes to a thread, which is why everyone considers him one of the best and top posters on these forums and no one wonders why he's not been banned.

Nalano
11-02-2012, 10:32 AM

It hasn't been killed in court yet. Hence.

Althea
11-02-2012, 10:59 AM
As per usual, Kadayi greatly contributes to a thread, which is why everyone considers him one of the best and top posters on these forums and no one wonders why he's not been banned.
In his defence, it's all there is to be said.

archonsod
11-02-2012, 11:54 AM
But, that says EA has stopped selling true ownerships of PC software to customers, it now only leases software, like UBI or 2K do?

They started licensing software rather than selling it in the seventies. Get with the program already Grandad.

metalangel
11-02-2012, 12:08 PM
They started licensing software rather than selling it in the seventies. Get with the program already Grandad.

You didn't have to connect to an authentication server in the 70s.

Heliocentric
11-02-2012, 12:23 PM

Hey there Mr Passive Agressive.
I'm a top poster too, check my numbers. :-D

soldant
11-02-2012, 01:01 PM
In his defence, it's all there is to be said.
That's exactly right. Nobody has really "owned" games for quite a while now. Since most of us are using Steam (and some of us are defending it like it's their Faith or something) the gap between our idea of "ownership" and theirs is getting much, much wider.

The simple fact that EA have moved towards their own form of distribution does not mean they've stopped selling PC games or anything like that. You might as well say the same thing about Valve, who have demonstrated that they'll lock you out of your account at the first signs of "suspicious" activity.

Kadayi
11-02-2012, 02:35 PM

True, but everything was still a licence.

Still the point is 'EA aren't quited (sic) on selling PC games' any more than activision, Ubsisoft, THQ or any one else is.

thegooseking
11-02-2012, 02:55 PM
I think it's kind of wrongheaded to think of games as something that can be owned in the first place. It encourages thinking of a game as a product, when it's actually an experience. Can you own an experience?

Now, that's not to say that there aren't issues about it. If I pay for an experience, I want guaranteed access to that experience, preferably forever, which is along the same lines as why people want to 'own' their games. But it's not really a question of ownership; it's a question of being in control of the ability to access it.

archonsod
11-02-2012, 03:06 PM

No, but on the other hand the server was where the CPU lived, so you had to connect to a server to do anything :P

Kadayi
11-02-2012, 03:36 PM
I think it's kind of wrongheaded to think of games as something that can be owned in the first place. It encourages thinking of a game as a product, when it's actually an experience. Can you own an experience?

Now, that's not to say that there aren't issues about it. If I pay for an experience, I want guaranteed access to that experience, preferably forever, which is along the same lines as why people want to 'own' their games. But it's not really a question of ownership; it's a question of being in control of the ability to access it.

Well said. Personally if I could upload every movie I 'own' to the cloud and dump the huge assed amount of DVD boxes I have I wouldn't be terribly unhappy as long as I could access them whenever.

Althea
11-02-2012, 03:56 PM
Well said. Personally if I could upload every movie I 'own' to the cloud and dump the huge assed amount of DVD boxes I have I wouldn't be terribly unhappy as long as I could access them whenever.
I suppose that's a good idea, but as someone in England I'd say that it won't be a truly viable thing until at least the infrastructure changes to allow more consistent and better streaming. Until that happens, it won't really work so well.

Plus there's little way to grandfather it for most things, so we'd have to re-purchase access to everything.

Kadayi
11-02-2012, 04:46 PM
Plus there's little way to grandfather it for most things, so we'd have to re-purchase access to everything.

Well Apple are kind of doing this already with their cloud based music system. Certainly from an infrastructure viewpoint I appreciate the limitations at this point in time, however it's more the principal of recognizing as Goose rightly points out that it's the access to the experience we are really paying for, not the delivery mechanism.

Althea
11-02-2012, 05:12 PM
Well Apple are kind of doing this already with their cloud based music system. Certainly from an infrastructure viewpoint I appreciate the limitations at this point in time, however it's more the principal of recognizing as Goose rightly points out that it's the access to the experience we are really paying for, not the delivery mechanism.
The Cloud system is really good - as much as people like to criticise Apple, they're miles ahead of the competition with that thing. I can redownload purchases I completely forgot about, and I now don't have to worry about keeping apps on my PC in case I want to install them again.

You're right about what Goose said, it's pretty much what the situation is whether we buy from GOG, Origin, GamersGate or Steam. We accept that access may not be around forever or that we may not be able to play said games in future. How many of us have bought games that just don't work after an OS/hardware upgrade? All of us, I reckon.

It's just a risk we take.

Grizzly
11-02-2012, 11:56 PM
The best selling game ever is still mostly a pc game (all of it's expansions are, and most of the copies sold are on the pc), and is published by EA.

So no, they have not quited pc game selling.

You would if they had them.

metalangel
12-02-2012, 12:32 AM
You would if they had them.

So all through the 80s, 90s and 00s I gamed a LIE?

*boohoo! BOOHOO!*