PDA

View Full Version : Most Intense Firefights ?

DaftPunk
11-02-2012, 05:31 PM
http://tpucdn.com/reviews/HIS/Radeon_HD_6850/images/clearsky.jpg

Well for me,it would be firefights from first F.E.A.R. or STALKER games,otherwise Arma 2,SWAT 4 ,Rvs and original GR comes close to these two.

BobsLawnService
11-02-2012, 05:33 PM
Crysis had some glorious firefights.

Shane
11-02-2012, 05:39 PM
F.E.A.R.
Metro 2033

BathroomCitizen
11-02-2012, 05:53 PM
Doom 2. That game is the mother of all the firefights.

Voon
11-02-2012, 06:11 PM
Come on, seriously? No love for Serious Sam? The game's practically Intense Firefights: The Game

vinraith
11-02-2012, 06:13 PM
The Close Combat series immediately springs to mind.

metalangel
11-02-2012, 06:33 PM
Planetside. A contested bridge or tower would see a ridiculous amount of ordnance flying.

Forgotten Hope (BF1942 mod). A 64 player server running Omaha Beach was a spectacle I have yet to see beaten.

westyfield
11-02-2012, 06:34 PM
Project Reality BF2 for me. Had some incredible long-range firefights that lasted minutes (a lot longer than it sounds), with the SL screaming for backup while the squad took potshots at the ambushers.

Heliocentric
11-02-2012, 06:59 PM
Coming out of bad company 2 with sore ears I'd certainly consider that

airtekh
11-02-2012, 07:04 PM
Best firefights I've had in a shooter were in Far Cry 2.

Casimir Effect
11-02-2012, 07:42 PM
Call of Duty 2 had some excellent ones, especially in the British campaign.

Otherwise the best I can think of were in FarCry 2, especially when the difficulty was wacked all the way up so you really had to avoid getting hit. There's just something about unscripted firefights that I love.

hamster
11-02-2012, 08:00 PM
Wolfenstein: ET

Really awesome free multiplayer game. Quake Wars tried to build off from it (made by the same guys, I think) but they added vehicles and everything was just worse.

The game is structured so that different classes with vastly different functions cooperate to reach an immediate objective which opens up another section of the level and allows the team to progress. This is a very drab way of saying that you are basically thrust into the most ridiculously epic scenarios. For example, in one map you are tasked with storming a beach. Allied starts off at the bottom, while Axis start off up top with their MG emplacements, snipers and stuff like that. To reach the overlooking bunkers, an engineer must erect a bridge, which takes a certain amount of time. Meanwhile you are being hosed by MG fire, sniper fire, grenades, air strikes (one of the classes can call artillery by marking the spot with a smoke grenade), mortar fire (soldiers can wield mortars and fire safely behind cover); MEANWHILE medics are running everywhere reviving people who are incapacitated and throwing med pacs; MEANWHILE sneaky spec-ops commandos are running around clad in enemy uniform sabotaging MGs, backstabbing defenders or lying in wait to ambush the next objective the moment it appears.

This is the model for basically every map with, of course, various permutations and variations.

Now, typically the attacking team consists of a good number of combat classes, a few medics, and maybe two engineers at most. The whole attackers vs. defenders paradigm generates ball bustingly frantic firefights with people being shot down, revived, shot down again, blown up, blown up and blown up all the while the team acts cohesively (by necessity) to aid Mr. Engineer from building the damn bridge or blowing up the gates or something equally cool.

To top it off, for the RPG addicts in basically everyone, there is a level system where EXP is doled out for kills and completing objectives as well as general use of arms. Levelling up gives you cool perks like more stamina, quicker recharge time for artillery/stuff, faster reload, more grenades (!), more rockets, more revival syringes, more health packs, more ammo packs, more starting ammo, DUAL WIELD pistols...

And it's free too. Hey I just reminded myself of a really awesome game i haven't played for years.

ntw
11-02-2012, 08:22 PM
Oh how I miss Wolf-ET, fucking awesome game.

rhizo
11-02-2012, 08:31 PM
Fresh from a tour of BF3 I have no choice but to agree. What happened, why did quasi-realism suddenly become more important than good, fun gameplay.

The Innocent
11-02-2012, 08:39 PM
Both Far Cry games. Especially the second. Flushing out a village with flames, sniping those who ran out into the field... good times.

Flint
11-02-2012, 08:49 PM
Come on, seriously? No love for Serious Sam? The game's practically Intense Firefights: The Game
The Second Encounter's final level in co-op is something rather intense indeed.

Vdaxzter
11-02-2012, 08:51 PM
Blood: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUYzgH5s7nU . I'm going to make a thread on this game now.

archonsod
11-02-2012, 08:52 PM
Freespace 2. Flying your bomber on a run against an enemy capital ship, point defence lasers blazing away at you while interceptors and fighters zoom about engaging each other, occasionally punctuated by the massive beams of the capital ships opening up on each other. Can't think of anything that comes close to the intensity of some of it's fleet engagements.

DarthBenedict
12-02-2012, 03:45 AM
Serious Sam.

Shane
12-02-2012, 03:52 AM

Oh god, one of the best multiplayer fpss ever. Compared to it, TF2 feels like a poor man's team shooter. Everyone should give this one a try; 'tis free.

agentorange
12-02-2012, 04:03 AM
Jagged Alliance 2 1.13: Drassen Counter-attack.

fiddlesticks
12-02-2012, 06:11 PM
Most intense firefight I've ever played myself? Speed of Doom, Map 32.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aWSpAEqPeQ

I think by this point the Doom community is mostly trying to figure out just how hard you can make a map before it becomes genuinely unplayable.

karthink
12-02-2012, 07:09 PM
F.E.A.R played without bullet time.