PDA

View Full Version : Best Ending in gaming (atleast thats what the GBWR: GE said)

Teh Arbiter
13-02-2012, 01:37 PM
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-02-13-call-of-duty-black-ops-has-best-game-ending-ever-says-guinness-world-records

if you're too lazy to click on that link, its CODBLOPS. i know, i know. also we're all going to die on 21st of December 2012

R-F
13-02-2012, 01:55 PM
> Look at top ten.
> Realise they polled retards.
> Don't give a shit.

Henke
13-02-2012, 02:00 PM
Well the result was decided by vote so I don't really see how it constitutes a record. But it's an interesting topic. Haven't thought it through but the endings for Thief and Portal would place highly on my list.

coldvvvave
13-02-2012, 02:26 PM
Ending is a pretty tricky thing, I can see people just voted their favourite games. VTMB had the best one of all endings I remember, it actually had some stuff going on durning the game and it all led to an ending. Planescape Torment, Cryostasis and some other games I can't remember deserve some credit too.

DaftPunk
13-02-2012, 02:48 PM
Screw that link and start discussion whats the best ending in videogame for you! :D

Subatomic
13-02-2012, 02:54 PM
I really liked the ending of Baldur's Gate II: Thron of Bhaal. The detailed epilogues for each character in your party, sometimes incredibly sad (romanced Viconia), sometimes really funny (Edwin) and sometimes heroic (Keldorn) really felt like a suitable ending for an, in the true sense of the word, epic journey.

Lukasz
13-02-2012, 03:03 PM
The sole ending for Vampire: bloodlines was indeed pretty awesome. You f--- up Camarilla tell anarchists to go screw themselves... It really shows how frigging badass you became and you do not need to take shit from anyone. Very satisfying.

I also liked wizard ending in Nox. Its pretty cool and you get the chick at the end.

Great ending even if shit was cut to pieces was from KOTOR 2, especially the evil ending. It really made impact on me, made me thing "what the hell have i done" by turning my 'slaves' into psychopaths who will bring terror to whole galaxy! Just awesome.

@the list.
what a nonsense. matter of taste of course but Fallout 3 ending is in top 50? Who did they poll? 9 year olds?

DaftPunk
13-02-2012, 03:09 PM
I really liked Hitman:Blood Money ending,when Diana, who pretends to stab 47 in the back. 47 wakes up and kills all remaining members of The Franchise ^-^

Heister
13-02-2012, 03:10 PM
Codblops? Surely it's got to be Minecraft?

Kaira-
13-02-2012, 03:14 PM
Silent Hill 2 - In Water. I think I've mentioned it a million times already, but it simply strikes an emotional chord in me.

Sam & Max Season 3 ending. It was also very nice and a bit sad.

The Witcher 2. Oft-heard criticism is that it didn't resolve anything, but I think it resolved just enough - Geralt faced the Kingslayer and no matter what happened with Letho he and his friends moved on. It reminds me a bit of some western-movies.

fiddlesticks
13-02-2012, 03:32 PM
I always enjoyed the ending slides of the various Fallout games, they give a great closure to the various places you visited and contribute to the impression that you actually made a difference.

I really liked Hitman:Blood Money ending
Agreed, Blood Money's ending was fantastic. Not only is it incredibly satisfying, it also cleverly plays with your perception and feels very well integrated into the actual game structure. It works a lot better than simply having a cutscene portray the same events.

As far as more recent examples go, I enjoyed Portal 2's final moments, especially after the somewhat disappointing ending the first game had. It doesn't explain too much, but you still get a definitive sense of finality.

The JG Man
13-02-2012, 03:38 PM
I too enjoyed Blood Money's ending. I could see it a little ways off, but it was still great to play and actually do it.

In regards to the article itself, I won't argue that a load of it is nonsense, but I did enjoy the ending to Halo: Reach. Despite knowing generally what would happen, the perspective offered was interesting and done in a cool way. The stinger of having a final level where your only objective was 'Spartans never die/Survive' became sort of harrowing when you realised there was absolutely no point to surviving. You were not going to be rescued and all you could do would be to inflict consequently minimal damage. Whilst you end as a bad-ass, I thought it was quite poignantly done. Not the best ending I've played, but one that'll certainly stick around.

Voon
13-02-2012, 03:40 PM
Although the ending of the first Fallout was heart-breaking, it was one of the best endings I've seen in any videogame, ever.

Oh, and Bastion's evacuation ending with/without saving Zulf was quite satisfying, really

Quick edit: although I've never reached this ending before, the betrayal ending in Alpha Protocol was badass

Flint
13-02-2012, 03:44 PM
Outcast's ending is one of the reasons why it's my favourite game of all time.

Sam & Max Season 3 ending. It was also very nice and a bit sad.
Agreed with this. Incredibly melancholy yet also beautifully upbeat. Season 3 in general was a surprisingly emotional season for the series.

coldvvvave
13-02-2012, 03:58 PM
Not the best but deserves a mention - "I want money" ending in STALKER was due to weird balancing( if you didn't run through this game you had a gazillion of money by the end and that triggered the "Greed" ending) the most widespread since 'True' ending was annoying to achieve( millions of Monolith, teleports, running around to find Traveller) and broken by bugs. Lots of people were trolled.

Subatomic
13-02-2012, 04:06 PM
Speaking of trolltastic endings, Neverwinter Night 2's "Rocks fall, everyone dies" certainly deserves special mention (though they at least used it as setup for the much better expansion).

Voon
13-02-2012, 04:12 PM
Not the best but deserves a mention - "I want money" ending in STALKER was due to weird balancing( if you didn't run through this game you had a gazillion of money by the end and that triggered the "Greed" ending) the most widespread since 'True' ending was annoying to achieve( millions of Monolith, teleports, running around to find Traveller) and broken by bugs. Lots of people were trolled.

Oh, I remember that, all right. Dammit! Should've met The Guide before that....

Ayam
13-02-2012, 04:40 PM
I really enjoyed the ending of the rhythm action game Sequence, because the developer and voice actors leave sweet little messages throughout the credits. I won't mention Kane and Lynch 2, though (spoilers in the vid below)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh_ySLkmln4

FunnyB
13-02-2012, 05:39 PM
I really liked the ending, or rather the credits sequence for Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening. As the "final" cutscene has played, and our heroes stand in the ashes, demons appear around them. Credits start rolling and you realize you get to fight the demons during the credits roll. All set to a rather kickass rock song. If you manage to kill 100 demons before the song ends, you get to see a short, extra cutscene. And the 100th enemy (if I remember correctly) is the very first boss you met in the game. And while he was really hard when you first met him, you kick his ass in a matter of seconds during the credits sequence.

More endings (or rather credits sequences) like this please! :D

Voon
13-02-2012, 06:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLMPByYWkKE&feature=fvst

westyfield
13-02-2012, 09:20 PM
Saints Row: The Third. The 'good' ending, not the 'bad' one. I laughed the whole way through, such a brilliant parody.

FunnyB
13-02-2012, 09:30 PM
Saints Row: The Third. The 'good' ending, not the 'bad' one. I laughed the whole way through, such a brilliant parody.

"The only thing that can hurt my suit are these conveniently placed lava rocks!"

DigitalSignalX
13-02-2012, 09:46 PM
SR3 also came to mind immediately as a most recent great ending.

NwN Mask of the betrayer had a good ending, and so did portal 2. I also liked DA:O's ending pre-DLC.

DeekyFun
13-02-2012, 09:47 PM
Prince of Persia: Sands Of Time. A charming story from start to finish. It's just soooooooo sad.

Vandelay
13-02-2012, 09:51 PM
CODBLOPS at number one, Bioshock number thirty-five, no The Longest Journey. Don't think anything else needs to be said.

On the topic of actual great game endings, I also liked the ending to Bastion. Leaving the final level with Zulf and the music swelling up was an incredible moment. I also really loved the ending to Serious Sam 3. That final boss battle was quite stunning in its over-the-topness.

Going further back, Max Payne 2 had quite a beautiful ending, particularly for a game filled with so much carnage.

Anthile
13-02-2012, 10:13 PM
Really confused by this list. First, pretty much none of these games is older than 10 years and I'd say the vast majority of them are not even older than five. Second, not a single PC exclusive on the list. I guess that says it all.
I don't play very many console games in the last few years so I can't comment on those. I remember KotoR though and it didn't have a very remarkable ending. The final "dungeon" was awful (Xen syndrome in action), the boss was meh and nothing special happened after that. In fact, just about the only thing I really remember about it is playing as sith and being hilariously evil, telling your team members to kill each other.

Anyways, Cryostasis has still the best ending ever, followed by Metro 2033 (enlightened ending).

SirKicksalot
13-02-2012, 10:17 PM
The CODBLOPS ending reminds me of The Abyss and that's awesome.

While I like the final level of many games, there are only a few that do the final moments well IMO. Stalker's "I want the Zone to disappear" ending was cool, in a sort of trollish way. Kane and Lynch 2's was devastating - the moment when they hijack the plane and you see how scared and desperate they are... The game is the story of the worst 48 hours imaginable and the ending is taking it to a whole new level of horror. I still can't believe IO had the balls to make that ending and I really hope they'll make a sequel.

Flint
13-02-2012, 10:30 PM
Sort of ashamed of myself that I completely forgot about Grim Fandango when I made my earlier post.

squareking
13-02-2012, 10:49 PM
There's only one right answer.

Chevy
13-02-2012, 11:15 PM
Prince of Persia: Sands Of Time. A charming story from start to finish. It's just soooooooo sad.

I agree. Sands of Time has the best ending. The structure of the narrative is simply beautiful.

Gergin
13-02-2012, 11:58 PM
It may not have had the most original or creative story but I think Freespace 2 deserves a mention simply because of how good the presentation of the story is/was. Never before and never since have I played a game where the situation feels so desperate. I've never seen another game give the player an objective and then promptly make you fail that objective through overwhelming opposition. It often doesn't make it clear either when an objective is impossible to accomplish or just very difficult which means you almost never feel like a failure was supposed to happen.

A lot of the sad or emotional moments in modern games don't really impact me because they're completely out of the player's control so there's no reason to get upset about it. When that capital ship you were supposed to protect goes down and the shockwave washes over you, you feel it in more ways than one.

SamuelH
14-02-2012, 12:40 AM
It may not have had the most original or creative story but I think Freespace 2 deserves a mention simply because of how good the presentation of the story is/was. Never before and never since have I played a game where the situation feels so desperate. I've never seen another game give the player an objective and then promptly make you fail that objective through overwhelming opposition. It often doesn't make it clear either when an objective is impossible to accomplish or just very difficult which means you almost never feel like a failure was supposed to happen.

A lot of the sad or emotional moments in modern games don't really impact me because they're completely out of the player's control so there's no reason to get upset about it. When that capital ship you were supposed to protect goes down and the shockwave washes over you, you feel it in more ways than one.

Agree with you there. The first time I played the last mission I forgot about the timer and was just trying to save as many ships as possible. When the flare started I was way too far out to be able to reach the jump point in time. So after about thirty seconds of afterburner, I kept fighting the Shivans till my ship exploded. It made the rather sad ending narration a little more poignant.

Fumarole
14-02-2012, 05:15 AM
Although the ending of the first Fallout was heart-breaking, it was one of the best endings I've seen in any videogame, ever. Indeed. Everything about the ending fits the game and its world perfectly.

soldant
14-02-2012, 06:34 AM
Second, not a single PC exclusive on the list. I guess that says it all.
Doesn't say much really, except that the older stuff doesn't have the same amount of sway as it used to.

I'm going to have to go with Grim Fandango, or maybe Portal 2. Special mention to the Half Life series though for consistently failing to resolve pretty much everything (well, except maybe the initial invasion of Black Mesa).

Kevin
14-02-2012, 07:02 AM
No props for Homeworld's ending? Best use of "Adagio for Strings" (even better than Platoon). Really set the standard for Relic's storytelling, and this collected, yet restrained bit at the very end brought tears to my then 11-year old eyes:

"No longer Fleet Command, Karan S'jet survived extraction from the Mothership's Core."

"She insisted that she be the last person to disembark and set foot upon the homeworld."

Nalano
14-02-2012, 07:39 AM
Fallout 3 got 38 in top 50.

Therefore, either there were only 37 games made in the history of gaming, or that poll is full of shit.

Voon
14-02-2012, 09:03 AM
Who gives a shit about that poll?

Grizzly
14-02-2012, 11:17 AM
When I read "Crysis 2", I saw that the poll is probably not really indicative of the quality of the actual endings (Crysis 2 is a very good game except for it's ending!)

Although I can understand where "Black Ops" is coming from - Apperently the plot twist (I've not heard what the plot twist was, but wth) was quite good, and seeing that it is a very well sold game, it does not suprise me it is at the top.

Grizzly
14-02-2012, 11:19 AM
Agree with you there. The first time I played the last mission I forgot about the timer and was just trying to save as many ships as possible. When the flare started I was way too far out to be able to reach the jump point in time. So after about thirty seconds of afterburner, I kept fighting the Shivans till my ship exploded. It made the rather sad ending narration a little more poignant.

It could have been done slightly better IMO - Such as a capship whose weapons you need to disable to get more people out or something. More of a conscious choice thing as opposed to "I actually died running like a coward but that does not honour my legacy".

Drake Sigar
14-02-2012, 11:23 AM
Fallout 3 got 38 in top 50.

Therefore, either there were only 37 games made in the history of gaming, or that poll is full of shit.

Indeed. The poll has absolutely nothing to do with endings, and most of the winners are AAA sequels as usual.

Xercies
14-02-2012, 11:35 AM
I think the ending to Majoras Mask is a lot better then Ocarina of time, because the game is really sad and the ending just releases that.

Monkey Island 2 has to go in for the most WTF ending ever, and I actually have warmed to that ending. Its very different.

I really loved Braids last level as well, I think it was really clever.

Voon
14-02-2012, 11:44 AM
Monkey Island 2 has to go in for the most WTF ending ever, and I actually have warmed to that ending. Its very different

Big Whoop!

Rossi
15-02-2012, 04:23 PM
The best ending to a video game was Descent 2 (circa 1996). There never was a Descent 3 :(

Juan Carlo
15-02-2012, 04:33 PM
LOL

That list seriously makes no sense.

It's like they just took a poll asking "name a random game from the past 15 years."