PDA

View Full Version : Game of Thrones: Genesis. Opinions?

Creeping Death
13-02-2012, 10:16 PM
So Game of Thrones - Genesis is on Steam's daily offer for 7.49 and I was wondering if anyone here could tell me if it was worth it? To make it clear what I'm looking, I'm a massive fan of the books and could put up with mediocre rts gameplay if the world was represented well. I've seen some bad reviews, but they seem to be more from the perspective of it being a bad rts game, not how it is as a Song of Ice and Fire game.

On a related note, does anyone have a discount coupon from christmas for the game? I have a few (http://oi39.tinypic.com/25g44lj.jpg) coupons I could trade for it.

vinraith
13-02-2012, 10:22 PM
Universally regarded as a good idea done poorly, from what I've seen. There's a 3MA on the topic, which is always my go-to source for strategy opinion:

http://flashofsteel.com/index.php/2011/10/15/three-moves-ahead-episode-138-your-lying-eyes/

pakoito
13-02-2012, 10:24 PM
Not worth it. Wait for the Crusader Kings 2 mod.

Creeping Death
13-02-2012, 11:04 PM
@vinraith: Thanks for the link.

The reviews actually make it sound kind of interesting. One of the complaints that surfaced in each was the bad UI, which makes me wonder if there are any mods out there for it....

@pakoito: While CK2 is definately something that is on my eventual purchase list, it'll be a while before I buy it and (I expect) a westeros mod will show up for it.

Chevy
13-02-2012, 11:12 PM
There's a 3MA on the topic, which is always my go-to source for strategy opinion

Speaking of 3MA, I just started listening to it last week, and am loving it. Are there any other good strategy/video game podcasts out there I should check out?

archonsod
13-02-2012, 11:17 PM
I've seen some bad reviews, but they seem to be more from the perspective of it being a bad rts game, not how it is as a Song of Ice and Fire game.

I get the feeling a lot of the complaints stem purely from the fact it's not the traditional military focused RTS.

BillButNotBen
14-02-2012, 12:27 PM
It sounded interesting, but more simple and boardgame-like than most were expecting.
A lot of reviews did mention that all the towns had random generic names instead of using the ones from the books though...