PDA

View Full Version : Space game recommendations, Gentlemen?

Voon
14-02-2012, 02:57 PM
All of a sudden, I have some cravings for space-sims or space-themed games now. Planning to try out Frontier Elite II for the gameplay which is pretty deep and complex, so I heard. Anachronox too, if I can find it somewhere (I don't know where). Any other titles you'd recommend me to play?

Oh, I played Mass Effect and KOTOR already, but they just wouldn't cut it. Need something heavier.

squareking
14-02-2012, 03:09 PM
Starfarer (http://fractalsoftworks.com/): Top-down strategic sim-em-up (or a less-arcadey SPAZ, if that means anything to you) currently in beta. They're on the brink of releasing a major update and it's well worth the $10 for access. Fantastic artistry and mechanics. If you like the idea of Mechwarrior in space, now's the best time to get it.

X3 Terran Conflict (http://store.steampowered.com/app/2820/?snr=1_7_7_151_150_1) and/or Albion Prelude (http://store.steampowered.com/app/201310/): Very pretty and Elite-esque. Initially hard to get into thanks to an unfriendly UI, but worth the time investment.

Look into the Descent (http://www.gog.com/en/catalogue/#all_genres/search/descent/)/Freespace (http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/freespace_2) series as well.

Heliocentric
14-02-2012, 03:41 PM
Hero or space emperor?

Hero:
Space Rangers 2
Mass Effect
System Shock 2
KotOR (or 2)

Emperor:
Sword of the Stars (not 2)
Homeworld (1, cataclysm or 2)
Alpha Centuri
Ground Control(or 2)
Startopia(more manager than emperor)

Hybrid:
Space Pirates and Zombies
X series (ie X3:Terran Conflict)
Allegiance(free multiplayer)

Also: Portal 2 (for 5 seconds)

squareking
14-02-2012, 03:50 PM
If you can only play one, make it Space Rangers 2.

Voon
14-02-2012, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

And, does anyone knows where Anachronox is sold? GoG? Steam?

Inverselaw
14-02-2012, 04:03 PM
Thers star trek online, which is rather like a modern rpg in style (very gear driven). People love the space combat and moan about ground combat, and its fun to see some star trek stuff after everything got cancelled.

Capt. Eduardo del Mango
14-02-2012, 04:15 PM
Evochron Mercenary (http://store.steampowered.com/app/71000) might be worth a look. A friend and I got copies of Freelancer to find it's depopulated online, but Evochron appears to basically be a modern go at Freelancer's online stuff.

westyfield
14-02-2012, 04:23 PM
Sins of a Solar Empire or Galactic Civilisations 2?

trjp
14-02-2012, 04:36 PM
And, does anyone knows where Anachronox is sold? GoG? Steam?

No idea on current availability (other than eBay) but you realise it's just a sci-fi/detective/noir Final Fantasy game which kinda jars a bit on the PC??

It even copied the 'swirl around the players before the battle' stuff from FF - in a way which ensures it's one of only 2 games which have made be feel unwell when playing (the other being The Ball)!!

Voon
14-02-2012, 04:41 PM
No idea on current availability (other than eBay) but you realise it's just a sci-fi/detective/noir Final Fantasy game which kinda jars a bit on the PC??

It even copied the 'swirl around the players before the battle' stuff from FF - in a way which ensures it's one of only 2 games which have made be feel unwell when playing (the other being The Ball)!!

Well, it's close enough. And I asked for space-sims or anything space-themed, at least.

I'll just have to look it on eBay to see if they're selling any used copies, then...

Grizzly
14-02-2012, 04:53 PM
Freespace is completely awesome and well worth it. Visit hard-light.net to see what fans can do with the source code (such as making it prettier!)

Also, Star Wars: Republic Commando. Its a really good tactical shooter.

Wizardry
14-02-2012, 04:57 PM
Here are some space games that are pretty good:

Starflight
Starflight 2: Trade Routes of the Cloud Nebula
Star Command

Megagun
14-02-2012, 05:38 PM
Starflight isn't exactly accessible anymore (it has aged too much), so you might as well go and play Star Control 2 (http://sc2.sourceforge.net/). Granted, Star Control 2 hasn't aged very well either, but at least it's playable on modern systems without any hassle and has voice acting to make it slightly more accessible/bearable. Plus, it's free, unlike Starflight, although both games are sold on GOG.com these days (though I wouldn't have any idea why anyone would buy SC2 on GOG, since the free version is way better).

Also, Space Rangers 2 and Freespace/Freespace 2.

Grizzly
14-02-2012, 05:52 PM
Also: Starshatter, The Gathering Storm open source's code was recently released. Dig aroud a bit: You can download the latest version of the game for free on a Starshatter modding portal after you have registered there.

Skyvik
14-02-2012, 06:31 PM
Gog has only recently signed up Square Enix/EIDOS and is trickling their gams out at the moment so I would guess Anachronox will appear on their before too long (could be wrong though).

As has been said Space Rangers 2 is lovely, the Eurogamer review (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/r_SpaceRangers_PC) from a while back by Mr Gillen, formerly of this parish, is one my favourite reviews (is it wrong to have favourite reviews?).

I have soft spot for Freelancer (And unlike many older space games, it doesn't need a joystick to be at its best).
X-Wing and TIE Fighter are both magnificent, no idea how easy they are to come by these days - come to think of it, it is crazy that they can't be bought new.

And, you know, all the other ones that everyone else said, plus Asteroids.

Wizardry
14-02-2012, 06:48 PM
Starflight isn't exactly accessible anymore (it has aged too much), so you might as well go and play Star Control 2 (http://sc2.sourceforge.net/). Granted, Star Control 2 hasn't aged very well either, but at least it's playable on modern systems without any hassle and has voice acting to make it slightly more accessible/bearable. Plus, it's free, unlike Starflight, although both games are sold on GOG.com these days (though I wouldn't have any idea why anyone would buy SC2 on GOG, since the free version is way better).
What are you on about? Starflight isn't merely an older version of Star Control 2, if that's what you're saying. What's with all this anti-old game propaganda all of a sudden?

CWalker
14-02-2012, 07:35 PM
It's not anti-old game propaganda, he/she is recommending a game based on the fact that it may be more accessible and, god forbid, modern than your suggestion. Plus, it's free :P

As for recommendations, I'd chip in for the X3: Terran Conflict as the big cheese, albeit a very complicated and confusing cheese.
Space Rangers 2 is pretty fun, as is Freelancer.
The Freespace series is ridiculously excellent, especially with the open source patch/mod thing, and, though I've not played it personally, I've heard great things about the I-War series.

There's a whole universe of space games out there! ...I'll get me coat.

BenWah
14-02-2012, 07:48 PM
i recommend space rangers 2 reboot.
Try to get the reboot version (that's the one available on steam)

Megagun
14-02-2012, 08:58 PM
What are you on about? Starflight isn't merely an older version of Star Control 2, if that's what you're saying. What's with all this anti-old game propaganda all of a sudden?
So telling people to play a 1992/1993 game instead of 1986/1989/1991 games because the 1992/1993 game is free and open-source, is way more accessible and runs on a wide variety of hardware/software stacks is "anti-old game propaganda" now?

That's news to me.

perafilozof
14-02-2012, 09:12 PM
Strategy : Sins of a Solar empire, Homeworld 1, Homeworld 2
Action : Freespace 1 , Freespace 2, Freelance, Dark Star One,
Turn based Strategy : Galactic Civilizations 2
Combat and trade : X3

archonsod
14-02-2012, 09:18 PM
Flatspace 2 is pretty good, it's a top down roguelike. Talking of top down, Space, Pirates and Zombies is likewise much fun.

magnolia_fan
14-02-2012, 09:31 PM
As others have said: Freespace/Freespace 2 - best games ever... or maybe not, but I like them

Heliocentric
14-02-2012, 09:45 PM
So telling people to play a 1992/1993 game instead of 1986/1989/1991 games because the 1992/1993 game is free and open-source, is way more accessible and runs on a wide variety of hardware/software stacks is "anti-old game propaganda" now?

That's news to me.

Quick, gag and bind him and I'll get wizardry.

TailSwallower
14-02-2012, 10:10 PM
i recommend space rangers 2 reboot.
Try to get the reboot version (that's the one available on steam)

What's the go with SR2 vs SR2R? It sounds like SR2S would be a remake of the original, but it seems like it's an expandalone?

Which is better? How are they different?

I'm really interested in checking out SR2 (if that is indeed the superior one), and whilst I was trying to do NNGFAY, so few of my backlogged games run on this netbook... That's just an excuse. Still true though.

Kevin
14-02-2012, 11:44 PM
Can't go wrong with the Homeworld games (Homeworld 1, Cataclysm, and 2). Sins of a Solar Empire helps palliate my itch for another Homeworld game until Relic gets around to it.

Though I haven't picked it up yet, I'm absolutely blown away by Evochron: Mercenary. To think that it was programmed, designed, and created by one guy (and crunched into 250 megs) truly astounds me. If there was a game out there that truly deserved a kick-starter, it's this. Think about the things that could be accomplished if there were even only 10 men like him working on updating that game.

For a preview, take a look at this:

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-evochron-mercenary/17-5653/

Wizardry
15-02-2012, 02:33 AM

That's news to me.
That's not the problem.

(it has aged too much)
This is.

Voon
15-02-2012, 09:17 AM
Thanks again, chaps. Everything here looks tempting enough for me to play

I'll try them out, especially the X games and Space Rangers 2.

mickygor
15-02-2012, 10:35 AM
I'd say look into Nexus - The Jupiter Incident, too. Top quality game, but it's apparently very marmitey.

sh0v0r
15-02-2012, 11:25 AM
This ofcourse: http://www.shovsoft.com/lunarflight/ :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dkm0apCWjOc&hd=1

Theblazeuk
15-02-2012, 11:33 AM
That's not the problem.

This is.

Doesn't run on variety of hardware/software stacks = aged too much

Wizardry
15-02-2012, 04:38 PM
Doesn't run on variety of hardware/software stacks = aged too much
I'd say that it runs on more platforms than the vast majority of post-DOS games.

"DOSBox uses the SDL library and has been ported to many operating systems including Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X v10.3 or later (for example, Boxer), Linux, KolibriOS, and eComStation. Using the HX DOS Extender, it can even run in DOS. The source code has also been forked to provide compatibility on a number of non-x86 PC computer platforms, including the Palm OS, PlayStation Portable, Android, iOS, Symbian, Maemo, Wii, and the GP2X, on various computing architectures including PowerPC, SPARC, MIPS and ARM. DOSBox is included in the software repositories for many Linux distributions such as Fedora, Debian, and Ubuntu. It has even been ported to Google Native Client to run old games in a web browser."

Ravenger
15-02-2012, 05:04 PM
No mention of Independence War 1 & 2?

The first is looking a bit dated now, especially in the UI department, and is very hard. It's one of the only space-sims that's is an actual simulation of a space-vessel - right down to the way the power systems and engines work. It's got a newtonian flight model with a comprehensive autopilot and fly-by-wire system that makes flying it easier, but you can turn off all the auto-correction to perform some amazing moves. Unlike other space games you're not flying a nimble fighter - your ship is 150m long and weighs thousands of tonnes. The campaign is a branching set of missions with an excellent CGI intro and cutcenes.

The sequel is a semi-open world space piracy game (free roaming, but with a storyline), with much improved graphics (still looks good on modern PCs), and a simplified control scheme. It also allows modding, and there are quite a few mods available.

Both are available on GOG.

Voluntary disclosure: I worked on the games.

Grizzly
15-02-2012, 07:11 PM
I only played I-War 2, and although I did rather like the combat model (physics! The flight model is hard to master, but it is FUUN), I did find it to be a rather big drag, especially when L-points are concerned. Just getting to a mission took to long IMO.

Dunno about I war 1.

Juan Carlo
15-02-2012, 07:34 PM
Anyone know anything about "Tachyon: The Fringe"?

I saw it on steam and it looks interesting.

c-Row
15-02-2012, 07:44 PM
Fragile Allegiance. Building colonies on asteroids, mining them or just fling them towards your opponent's.

Moraven
15-02-2012, 08:49 PM
Anyone know anything about "Tachyon: The Fringe"?

I saw it on steam and it looks interesting.

Tachyon was fun, good campaign space game far. Uses semi real space inertia for flight (you have a max speed, but you can keep going in one direction while spinning your craft around and firing in that direction.) Or the wiki explanation "'Sliding', where the player can maintain a constant velocity while having free control over the orientation of their space-craft." Has side missions, main storyline that eventually has you choose between two sides, which offer different missions and ships to use.

And the real reason I got it, Bruce Campbell.

neema_t
16-02-2012, 05:00 PM
Escape Velocity Nova! It's a top down game thing (you might have heard of those) where you're given a shuttle and work your way up by way of missions, combat, storyline, guns, trading, mining, talking, turning, thrusting and now I'm just listing things from the game.

It's expensive, though, especially given its age (30 dollars for a game that is now 8 years old (I think it was out in 2004)), but you can get free mods for EV and EV:Override, the first two Mac-only games, so it's technically like three games in one I suppose, and it doesn't really age anyway. Really fun maybe, I love it, anyway. There is a demo. I think the site is ambrosiasw.com.

Ninjafoodstuff
16-02-2012, 06:09 PM
If you have an iThing or Mac, Galaxy on Fire 2 is pretty neat. A more arcadey and less serious version of Freelancer.

Ninjafoodstuff
16-02-2012, 06:14 PM
Thanks again, chaps. Everything here looks tempting enough for me to play

I'll try them out, especially the X games and Space Rangers 2.

I recently got both of those after continuous recommendations for them on these forums. I have to say, SR2 seems a bit dull thus far (I've only played for about an hour, and actually reading the recommendations for it again have rekindled my interest). The main problem I have is that the combat is very simplified. Click to attack, then choose one of three combat options and wait. Maybe I'm missing something.

X3 on the other hand, well I watched a bunch of (very good) youtubes and it clicked. I've now logged 50 hours on that thing, in the space of 3 weeks, making it my most played game on Steam. In fact last time I played it I hadn't even realised that my mouse was switched off, you learn to do so much from the keyboard.

Trees_are_pretty_cool
16-02-2012, 06:23 PM
Has anyone recommended the Kerbal Space Program (http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/) yet? If not, shame on you guys.

frenz0rz
16-02-2012, 06:53 PM
If you can only play one, make it Space Rangers 2.

Seconded. Space Rangers 2 is an utterly brilliant game, right down to the quirky and sometimes hilariously mistranslated text adventures. Seriously - more games need text adventures!

Juan Carlo
17-02-2012, 04:25 PM
Tachyon was fun, good campaign space game far. Uses semi real space inertia for flight (you have a max speed, but you can keep going in one direction while spinning your craft around and firing in that direction.) Or the wiki explanation "'Sliding', where the player can maintain a constant velocity while having free control over the orientation of their space-craft." Has side missions, main storyline that eventually has you choose between two sides, which offer different missions and ships to use.

And the real reason I got it, Bruce Campbell.

This sounds kind of awesome, actually. Maybe I'll get it in the next sale.

outoffeelinsobad
21-02-2012, 12:51 AM
Anyone played Sol: Exodus yet? http://store.steampowered.com/app/200410/?snr=1_7_suggest__13

Edit: Played the demo. Pretty solid. It's got a nifty "slide" mechanic that allows one to retain momentum from thrust while pointing the ship in a different direction, a la BSG. Makes for an easy crazy Ivan. Any other space flight sims with this mechanic?

Ninjafoodstuff
21-02-2012, 07:58 AM
Anyone played Sol: Exodus yet? http://store.steampowered.com/app/200410/?snr=1_7_suggest__13

I saw the totalbiscuit video for it (actually I think Adam reviewed it as well). It looked pretty dire.

whiskeyjack
21-02-2012, 09:15 AM
Imperium galactica 2 and Haegemonia, you control planets and you have to build improvements, research technologies, etc.

Nexus the jupiter incident (was supposed to be imperium galactica III) but it's completely different. You don't build things, you basically only use spaceships to go from mission to mission, they gain experience, and you get to equip them with different pieces of equipment.

You might also want to try star wolves (the first one), an rpg like where you control a squad, and you can upgrade their ships, and they get experience as well.

Kelron
21-02-2012, 11:55 AM

Edit: Played the demo. Pretty solid. It's got a nifty "slide" mechanic that allows one to retain momentum from thrust while pointing the ship in a different direction, a la BSG. Makes for an easy crazy Ivan. Any other space flight sims with this mechanic?

Tachyon: The Fringe, which was mentioned in this very thread. The Evochron games also allow you to do this and other tricks.

mickygor
21-02-2012, 12:46 PM
Tachyon: The Fringe, which was mentioned in this very thread. The Evochron games also allow you to do this and other tricks.

It makes me sad that inertia's considered a trick D:

Wrongshui
21-02-2012, 04:04 PM
Fragile Allegiance. Building colonies on asteroids, mining them or just fling them towards your opponent's.

My first 4x game, loved it to bits.

Distant Worlds and its addon aint bad.