PDA

View Full Version : games that do cool shit with dual monitors.

BobsLawnService
14-02-2012, 03:45 PM
So I've inherited a 17 inch 4:3 LCD to go along with my 19 inch 16:9 monitor and I'm wondering - besides Visual Studio, what can I do with it. Are there and interesting games out there that do interesting things with dual monitor settings like allowing you to have a tactical map open on one and a strategic map on the other, or instruments on one and the rest of the world on the other?

Althea
14-02-2012, 04:07 PM
Supreme Commander can, I believe.

Kelron
14-02-2012, 04:12 PM
But it's not very useful.

mxu
14-02-2012, 04:21 PM
IIRC, World in Conflict allows you to have a tactical map open on the 2nd screen while you play. It sounds cool and useful, but I didn't have two monitors back then when I played it. Great game btw.

Inverselaw
14-02-2012, 04:23 PM
What supreme commander does is let you split the interface so that half your screen space is at one zoom level and the other is max zoom out (full map view).

When you combine this the games sensor tech it gives you a great level of awareness of enemy movement and such.

TailSwallower
14-02-2012, 04:24 PM
Yeah, doubtful you'll find many games that utilise it - but you could use the 2nd monitor to chat, watch a movie, browse the internet, etc, while you play an MMO or something. That's what a friend of mine does - never seen him actually use both for a game though.

Squiz
14-02-2012, 04:26 PM
As far as I remember, I read about someone running Guild Wars on two monitors, using one monitor for the map and one monitor for the actual game, but I don't quite remember where that was or how it was supposed to work.

Nalano
14-02-2012, 04:28 PM
Yeah, doubtful you'll find many games that utilise it - but you could use the 2nd monitor to chat, watch a movie, browse the internet, etc, while you play an MMO or something. That's what a friend of mine does - never seen him actually use both for a game though.

I've long run this system: One screen for MMO, one screen to entertain and amuse myself.

Squiz
14-02-2012, 04:31 PM
I've long run this system: One screen for MMO, one screen to entertain and amuse myself.What a sad story. :(

trjp
14-02-2012, 04:57 PM
When I first started playing WoW I (a Warrior) spent a load of time playing with a Mage and a Priest and it was only when our Priest got lost whilst we were adventuring in the Barrens that we realised he was watching TV on one screen whilst healing us on the other ;)

Much later, our guild discovered that our MT was watching football whilst tanking in Raids and that didn't go down to well either :)

and they say only women can multi-task :)

p.s. answering the original question - the only games which consistently use multi-monitors tend to be racers and they tend to need 3 (as you don't want your view split down the middle, do you?)

The real upside is that you don't need to faff about with alt-tabbing anymore - I use a laptop to achieve the same thing, the number of games which are moody about alt-tab is still embarrassing IMO

BobsLawnService
14-02-2012, 05:01 PM
I've long run this system: One screen for MMO, one screen to entertain and amuse myself.

There is a boxquote for some new MMO somewhere in there.

Grizzly
14-02-2012, 05:07 PM
I've once used Supreme Commander in a dual monitor setup (Only at a lan party - I am not that rich :P). Its quite fun - but you have to get used to it. I kept looking at the minimap instead 0_o.

Cornelius Wangenheim
14-02-2012, 05:22 PM
Game-wise, I mostly use my second monitor for wikis, guides and the like. It's also nice for the those programs that make playing certain games easier, such as Dwarf Therapist for Dwarf Fortress, Anno Designer for Anno 2070 and Excel for EVE.

Nalano
14-02-2012, 06:48 PM
p.s. answering the original question - the only games which consistently use multi-monitors tend to be racers and they tend to need 3 (as you don't want your view split down the middle, do you?)

Well, them and ARMA.

There is a boxquote for some new MMO somewhere in there.

Elf Extravaganza 2: Come for the epic loot, stay for the forum drama!

Alez
14-02-2012, 07:18 PM
I have 2 monitors for about a year or so and have yet to find any game that "does cool shit" with them. Actually i haven't found any games that even use 2 monitors other than around 3 or so games you'll be hearing about over and over, like Supreme Commander.

The only "cool" thing you might be able to do is start them in window mode and if they let you, stretch them across both monitors. I did that to play World of Tanks and it gave me a huge advantage because i could see so much around me but the performance drop was unbearable. Plus you have a huge gap in the middle of the screen...

I'm curious if there is a program that can force fullscreen applications to span across both monitors. I have a program that does that for screensavers so maybe it's possible. My google skills didn't help me with that sadly.

trjp
14-02-2012, 08:49 PM
I've only done this 'for laughs' when I've had kit in for repair but my understand is that you simply setup both monitors as one massive 'desktop' and then run the game at that resolution (some games support any resolution you like through file editting - others will read the resolution from your GPU directly).

Really needs 3 screens to work properly tho - 2 screens is really just for 'work' purposes and avoiding alt-tab!

Bhazor
14-02-2012, 09:27 PM
Can't flight sims be set to run on multiple monitors? I'm sure I saw something like that in one of those homemade Microsoft Flight Simulator cockpit things that makes my set up look like a monkey sitting in a tyre swing.

"Excell for Eve"

"One for an MMO and the other to keep me entertained"

God videogames can be depressing.

Kelron
14-02-2012, 09:47 PM
If you want to do multi monitor gaming, the most supported setup seems to be 3 monitors (and a beefy graphics card) for sim gaming. Dual monitor support for games is limited and mainly just a gimmick. I still find it very useful to have 2 screens though, you can always find things to do with more screen space.

sabrage
14-02-2012, 11:02 PM
I watch 900% more Youtube videos with my second monitor. That's about it.

soldant
14-02-2012, 11:35 PM
But it's not very useful.
It wasn't initially but it was after it got patched a few times. It was good for situational awareness, keeping an eye on a specific area, or quickly giving long-distance orders with a bit more precision than on the tiny minimap (and a bit faster than zooming all the way out). Only problem was back on release SupCom was pretty demanding and putting the map on a second display would take a big bite out of the framerate.

A few sims can actually use a second monitor for displaying a few important things. You can do this in the DCS games but it requires setting up a custom resolution which is the sum of the resolution of the two monitors or something, can't remember and it was too fiddly for me to bother.

mickygor
15-02-2012, 10:45 AM
Yea, Supreme Commander lets you have good micro by utilising the split screen across 2 monitors, but if it's that important then you can sacrifice some real estate to split it on one monitor.

My main use for my dual/tri monitor setups has been to spread EVE across 2 monitors so I have one monitor for all the menus, or to multibox with 1 account per monitor. These days I just use the second monitor for keeping up my builds for LoL so I don't need to alt-tab.

neema_t
16-02-2012, 05:10 PM
I always wanted to be able to have my tactical map open on one screen and FPS view in the other when I used to play Ghost Recon a lot, but it would've been tricky to control the map with the mouse while controlling my view with the mouse so I suppose the system they had was alright, it just would have been nice to see where my AI teammates were and where the enemies they spotted actually were. Then again tapping the tactical map button wasn't that hard, so it would've been a big waste of time and power.

Before I had my PC and was using W7 on my Mac with two screens I used to have game on one screen and guides, videos and such in the other. Then I got a PC and realised I don't do enough graphic design work to have both monitors for the Mac, so now they use one each but can both use two if needed, which it rarely is.

Speaking of monitors, I re-capped one of mine today. Went from a 5 minute epilepsy inducing startup flicker to good as new in about 5 minutes and saved me a whole bunch of pounds (money, not weight, unfortunately).

Anyway, the main problem with dual screen gaming in most games is that, as someone said, you don't want your view to be split right down the middle because that's usually where your attention is drawn. Frankly Im waiting for someone to invent borderless monitors and then I might buy three or five and have them sitting in portrait next to each other to get one smooth retina singeing wall of light to stare at. As if just one 22 inch monitor in a dark room isn't bad enough.

NUSNA_Moebius
16-02-2012, 05:54 PM
A few sims can actually use a second monitor for displaying a few important things. You can do this in the DCS games but it requires setting up a custom resolution which is the sum of the resolution of the two monitors or something, can't remember and it was too fiddly for me to bother.

I know there had been some mods for the original Lock On using separate a separate monitor to display the in game radar display which would be incredibly useful for of course Flaming Cliffs and the DCS titles. I've also dabbled a bit into using my PC monitor oriented below my HDTV to display (usually) most of the main instruments on my panel, with my HUD and outside view on the HDTV. That was interesting.......

Moraven
26-07-2013, 07:58 PM
BattleLog BattleLog BattleLog!

I do wish more games, such as RPGs, had 2nd screen support to have your inventory always open for instant. I imagine the work to develop and QA/QC is not worth it to the devs. BattleLog seems to make it easier using a web or app interface that is communicating with the server, not your game client.

I have not tried the Wii U yet but using a tablet as a info slab on the couch just seems awkward. Where a 2nd monitor or tablet on the desk makes more sense.

darkChozo
26-07-2013, 09:23 PM
I'm kind of surprised that there aren't more games that make use of a second monitor. I mean, it's an additional feature that is unusable by a large number of your users, so the usual cost/benefit dev issue apply, but I'd think that there's at least enough dual monitor users for it to be a nice selling point. It'd be nice in a lot of games to be able to display stats or a HUD or a map or something, if only because you're able to glace at those things without pausing the game.

I mean, I wouldn't expect the majority of games to implement it or anything, but it's weird that there seems to be less support for dual monitors than triple monitors. Probably something about a rendering change vs. something that actually requires some design work, bleh.

db1331
26-07-2013, 09:26 PM

Er, what's the MMO for then?

Couldn't you keep your character screen up on a second monitor in WoW, or am I imagining things?

GameCat
26-07-2013, 09:29 PM
Cough, Nintendo Dual Screen, cough.

You can do many good things with two screens. Especially when one of them is touch screen. Hotel Dusk did awesome thing. You must rotate your DS 90 degree left or right. When you speak with NPCs your hero and what he speak is on left screen and people which you talk with on right screen.

Too bad that two PC monitors isn't a standard. Maybe a FPS game like Bioshock where you can see action form Booker and Elizabeth perspective?
Minecraft with one normal view and one "bird" view where you can see beauty of your buildings?
Endless cool possibilities are here.

PS. http://kotaku.com/5793624/the-forgotten-beauty-of-vertical-ds-games-the-spectacle-of-widescreen-turned-sideways

EDIT:

For filling the bars.

http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/807503965_rBNbP-L.jpg

Mohorovicic
26-07-2013, 09:48 PM

Some people make the mistake of playing MMOs for the endgame. For them, the whole leveling, exploring, questing, etc. gameplay is just an obstacle to hurdle through to get to the simplistic, crappy, badly balanced PvP content at the end.

Moraven
26-07-2013, 09:49 PM
The example you used was more taking advantage of the screen space given and being unique. You can fit two NPCs in high detail on one monitor.

3DS had quite of mix of games how the bottom was used. Info, Main Screen Bottom/Info Top (Advanced Wars, Trauma Center), inventory control, MainScreen Top/Control touch (Zelda), mapping (Etrian Odyssey). Some would not make sense on the PC unless touch was involved.

RPGs are a great example of having a in game map open on a 2nd monitor. Or inventory. I see see say, like Might & Magic showing my party character sheet on a 2nd monitor.

I like the LCD on my G15. Despite its limited resolution and no color, it can show enough additional information to add to the experience.

Moraven
26-07-2013, 09:53 PM
Some people make the mistake of playing MMOs for the endgame. For them, the whole leveling, exploring, questing, etc. gameplay is just an obstacle to hurdle through to get to the simplistic, crappy, badly balanced PvP content at the end.

I like the idea Blizzard put it with heirloom items and exp bonuses on them. To do the full extent of of 1-58 content at the correct level, you would have to play through 2-4 times for each faction. (1-25 is the same zones, then there is usually a two zone choice for for the mid levels, on each continent). Sadly as said there are people who play race to the end for their first couple play throughs, then complain at devs for lack of content.

GameCat
26-07-2013, 10:35 PM
The example you used was more taking advantage of the screen space given and being unique. You can fit two NPCs in high detail on one monitor.
Yes, you can, but look at this:
http://moarpowah.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/hotel_dusk_ds_1.jpg

http://noobfeed.com/app/webroot/ckfinder/userfiles/images/hotel%20dusk%20louis.jpg

It's not just cheap gimmick, it's a simple and great feature that combined with comics graphics builds atmosphere.
NDS screens are very different from just one screen splitted in two by frame made of pixels.
You can really came up with something more than showing map or stats on second monitor.

For example this game:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/02/21/wot-i-think-richard-alice/
It's about two people locked in prison in different cells. It would be cool to have separated monitor for each person.

OK, enough of this, as the topic is about existing PC games that use two or more monitors.

Lone Gunman
26-07-2013, 11:35 PM

If you are playing a game that requires you to do something else to keep you sane, why are you playing it?

Nalano
26-07-2013, 11:45 PM

If you are playing a game that requires you to do something else to keep you sane, why are you playing it?

Congratulations, both of you got the joke - and it only took 17 months.

I'd give you a cookie, but it expired.

Lone Gunman
26-07-2013, 11:55 PM
Congratulations, both of you got the joke - and it only took 17 months.

I'd give you a cookie, but it expired.

This is the first time I have looked at this thread. You were on the first page. I don't live in these forums you know :p

Also it's about time someone offered me a treat, I have been pointing at this bowl for almost a year

trjp
13-11-2013, 03:44 PM
Waking this because I inherited a 19" w/s and realised it was a "pair" for my spare monitor - so I set them up either side of my main screen and thought "Ooh - what about multiscreen now then?"

Last time I tried this was with AMD Eyefinity, it was a piece-of-piss to setup but the card I had at the time (a 5670 512Mb) really couldn't push enough fps to the 4000x900 that Eyefinity managed to make out of the odd screens I had at the time (a 1440x900 and 2x1280x1024)

I've since upgraded screens and my GPU - with a 650Ti Boost and a 1920x1080+2x1440x900s I hit-up nVidia Surround, which was a bit of a waste of time because it's ENORMOUSLY picky about the screens you use and demands a common resolution on all 3 screens which supports the same refresh and sync polarities (fuck knows why - AMD has no such scruples).

Sync polarities can vary on the same MODEL of monitor - let alone different models and makes - which means it's entirely potshot and for most people it won't work properly (even if you buy 3 seemingly identical monitors you could run into an issue!!)

The best it offers me 3840x1024 because all 3 monitors will do 1280x1024 at the same refresh (75) and sync polarities (-/+) - that's LOWER than my last AMD card did with lesser monitors!!

Loads of people moaning about this on the web - a few seem to have 'tricked' it using weird setup procedures or hacked monitor .inf files but as my main screen demands +/+ and my others are -/+ for everything over 1280x1024 I can't do that (without risking damaging the monitors)

ETS2 is pretty amazing even in that relative 'low' res but TS2014 is terrible because it's HUD is bigger than 1280 so it spans the screens and is unreadable in places . TS2014 also have perspective and tearing issues which gets a bit headache inducing. Dirt2 was AMAZING in triple-screen/in-car view but you really notice the resolution loss - much more so that in ETS2

I think the only game I have which I've not tried (and which supports MM) is Ace Combat - so I'm off to try that ;0

Sparkasaurusmex
14-11-2013, 01:47 PM
The coolest thing I've seen with dual monitors is split screen coop in Source games (L4D and Portal 2)
You can get these games to run split screen coop. Then you can change the resolution so it stretches across both screens and set split screen to split vertically at half of the horizontal resolution, so that the split occurs between the two monitors. So ultimately player one has one monitor and player two has the other monitor, but you are both playing locally on one machine. The only problem with this is that Source is finicky about using a controller for player two. Last time I did this it involved unplugging/plugging in player 2 controller while the level was loading. You have to time it right for the controller to be considered #2.

Tei
14-11-2013, 06:51 PM
BF4 has support for the map in a second screen (that can be your phone or anything else).

DigitalSignalX
15-11-2013, 08:09 AM
Obtain a copy of Xsplit or similar video capture / streaming software that lets you set up screen regions for capture. Then use it to blow up the portion of your primary monitor where the games mini-map is to display on the second monitor. Perfect for games like Dota 2, Star Craft, Counter Strike, or other FPS games with a mini-map.

http://i.imgur.com/2nu3f.jpg

Kelron
15-11-2013, 09:40 AM
That's clever. Still wish games would make more interactive use of a second screen occasionally, though I'm generally happy using it to read/chat while playing.

somini
15-11-2013, 05:43 PM
Obtain a copy of Xsplit or similar video capture / streaming software that lets you set up screen regions for capture. Then use it to blow up the portion of your primary monitor where the games mini-map is to display on the second monitor. Perfect for games like Dota 2, Star Craft, Counter Strike, or other FPS games with a mini-map.

Really clever. I wish I had space for 2 monitors.

trjp
17-11-2013, 03:41 PM

Someone else who's realised that TENKEYLESS is the only way :) YAY!

g2gdotcom
20-11-2013, 09:10 AM
Haven't tried dual monitor for gaming. I don't see the need of it.

Tritagonist
20-11-2013, 10:37 AM

That's pretty clever. I'll have to look into this. Thanks for the suggestion!

It's a shame that it only seems to duplicate certain parts of the screen, rather than off-loading certain obnoxious, but sometimes useful, UI elements to a second screen. One of the great things about World of Warcraft is the enormous freedom Blizzard gives people to customize the UI. I wish more developers would stop being so stubborn about forcing their art department's concoctions onto players.

trjp
20-11-2013, 07:54 PM

Dual isn't really that useful (splitting maps or status details off at best) but triple offers a lot for sims and racing games in particular.

"Rear view mirrors" basically - a much more usable field-of-view - makes an enormous difference to 'in cab' views in particular.

Well - it would for me if nVidia's implementation of it wasn't so fucking picky - people have been moaning about it for years tho so it seems unlikely they'll fix it...

Kelron
20-11-2013, 08:00 PM
I don't ever use my second screen for games. Out of the few that do offer second screen support, none I've found really make it useful enough to be worth the performance hit. I still wouldn't dream of giving up a 2 screen desktop setup, it's so convenient all round, even if I'm just watching people argue in chatrooms while playing a game.

karaquazian
20-11-2013, 10:33 PM

I can see how it could be good for some games.
I would like for instance to display the planetside 2 continent map on my older non widescreen monitor, would be very useful when leading a platoon.