PDA

View Full Version : What to play when you got 4 days off from life?

creiij
15-02-2012, 12:38 PM
Greetings fellow gamers,

I'm going to a friends place in about a week and we will have a 4 day 'LAN' where we just take time off from work and family to just game until our hands bleed. I'll be there from Thusday to Sunday next week and we have been thinking about games to play. We usually plan WoW when we get togeather (yea why play a MMORPG at a LAN? :) but we have both stopped and I'm woundering if you have any suggestions. We will play BF3, start a Minecraft server and play that and I'm thinking about Saint's Row The Third as well if that can be played in coop, which I think it can, not sure tough.

Are there any other games you could recommend? If you were a gamer with a family and job that leaves you with an hour of gaming time each day and now had 4 days to play as much as you wanted, what would you prioritise? Preferably coop or multi-player but single is fine to.

Ninjafoodstuff
15-02-2012, 12:47 PM
I'd say Magicka although I think after 4 days I'd have a great big headache. So maybe something a bit more creative like Terraria. Then at the end you'll have something to show for such an investment of time.

DevinSmoth
15-02-2012, 12:48 PM
If I had the money, I'd buy Kingdoms of Amalur honestly... and play nothing but that for four days. Course, I've never had that kind of gaming stamina, so it's not me... but ya know. ;)

duff
15-02-2012, 01:02 PM
Left 4 Dead, Men of War, Trine 2.

Jams O'Donnell
15-02-2012, 01:04 PM
Co-op Portal 2 if you've not been through it already.

TailSwallower
15-02-2012, 01:38 PM
How many people will there be? Just the 2 of you, or more?

But yeah, I can second the prior suggestions of: Portal 2, Magicka, Terraria and Left 4 Dead.

Also:
Killing Floor
Warcraft 3 (vanilla MP if you're interested, otherwise there are an untold number of custom maps that are worth checking out)
Borderlands

...Probably more, but I'm about to have my hair cut, so I'll stop it here.

agentorange
15-02-2012, 01:50 PM
Serious Samuel: First Encounter, Second Encounter, BFE. And Doom 2.

westyfield
15-02-2012, 01:52 PM
Rainbow Six Vegas. Not even joking, it's great in co-op.

Giaddon
15-02-2012, 02:55 PM
SWAT 4, Diablo 2, Splinter Cell: Conviction (co-op campaign)

DaftPunk
15-02-2012, 04:35 PM

Oh no you didn't... Its medicore compared to Rogue Spear and Raven shield,which i highly suggest for LAN parties. Also original Ghost Recon with both expansion packs,GRAW 1 and 2,SWAT 4,Hidden And Dangerous 2 (i think it has coop option,not sure).

Best coop games.

creiij
15-02-2012, 06:25 PM
Thanks for the suggestions so far. There will be only the two of us. We are childhood friends but since I moved away from my hometown we only really meet for birthdays and stuff so we usually have 1-3 "LANs" each year where we play games, catch up and eat lots of candy. It's a way for him and me to stay in touch.

I would like to play Magicka so we might try that. Left 4 Dead 2 is a maybe tough, worth mentioning at least. I want him to buy Portal 2 and play that, I even gave him my free copy of Portal when I bought Portal 2 but I don't know if he ever played it.

Lets say money isn't a problem because we can spend money on a game or two each if it's worth playing together.

As for all the police shooters we might stick to only Battlefield 3 since it's new and great, and a shooter. Sure it's not a coop game but it's a great multiplayer game.

Nice suggestions but we want new games, released during the last year, if possible. We only have 4 days so we can't play all we want but it's good to have a list if we ever get tired of the 3 games we have planned so far =)

As Homer said to the devil: "More." =)

mentor07825
15-02-2012, 06:34 PM
Battlefield 3 also features a co-op campaign for a buddy, so you can give that a go rather than shooting men online in the face. Magicka is also hilarious good fun to play with someone else. I would also recommend the Portal 2 co-op and Saints Row 3 isn't bad for fun willy waving.

Another suggestion would also be Minecraft.

Mihkel
15-02-2012, 07:04 PM
Definitely play Dead Rising 2 and Dead Rising 2: Off the Record, Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, Resident Evil 5, Dawn of War 2 series, Fear 3, Dead Island, Shogun 2 Total War. All these games have excellent 2-player coop.

mentor07825
15-02-2012, 07:10 PM
Oh, and then that zombie game that was published by DeepSilver. Dead Island or something like that.

lasikbear
15-02-2012, 07:10 PM

Terrorist hunt mode on the hardest difficulty with max enemies is one of my favorite co-op games. Generally you kill a few then get killed by the guys that spawn behind you with shotguns (the only gun the AI can use well). So you get to try again with worse guns and more applications of incendiary weapons.

Vegas 2 had some good additions as well, but the XP unlocks keep you from getting all the fun stuff for way too long and require you to succeed to progress at a decent rate.

crekkerpulian
16-02-2012, 02:10 AM
I'd say Magicka although I think after 4 days I'd have a great big headache.
http://www.slowliving.info/song3.jpghttp://www.slowliving.info/song2.jpg
http://www.bookunion.org/14.jpg

squirrel
16-02-2012, 01:28 PM
4 days escape from real life?

Women and wine, why bother with video games?

Vexing Vision
16-02-2012, 03:30 PM
Make sure you give Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light a run. It's excellent fun for half a day of slightly asynchronous multiplayer.

Particularly if you enjoyed Portal 2, you'll love the clever puzzle elements.

And Magicka sort the rest of the first day.

Saints Row 3 (great choice) will last the other three days. :)

creiij
17-02-2012, 10:14 AM
Nice, this is going well I must say. Lots of games for us to concider and I will try to make him buy some of these so we can play them. Magicka, Dead Island, MineCraft, Saint's Row, Battlfield 3 coop and multiplayer, Left 4 Dead 2, Portal 2,

It's a good list, thanks guys.

4 days escape from real life?

Women and wine, why bother with video games?

Women and wine? First of, I'm away from my WIFE and CHILD so definatly no women, don't want to lose my family I just want to play some games. And wine? Who drinks wine anyway? Maybe some Jägermeister but only to get that warm feelin'.

CMaster
17-02-2012, 12:21 PM
If there's just the two of you, I might suggest steering clear of L4D2. The bots really are frustrating and unhelpful, making it a 4 (or 8) player only game really.
However, the aforementioned Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light is one of the best two-player coop games we've seen in a long while, and pretty cheap so you should probably get that.

SWAT4 is definitely better with more players. However it's still pretty damn good with just two players, and very different to almost any other game out there. It's not really a shooter - you'll spend very little time shooting or being shot at. Most of the while you spend in either planning, or shouting at people furiously.

Hirmetrium
17-02-2012, 12:35 PM
Some of my steadfast LAN favourites, for a party of 4:
- Left 4 Dead 2 (don't bother with 1, its old news now and some of the maps are in 2)
- Battlefield 2 >> Bad Company 2 >> Battlefield 3 (all are excellent titles)
- Company of Heroes
- Dawn Of War 2 Last Stand
- Minecraft (yes damnit, I say we build a massive fortress here!)

Also, wine is for pussys. Beer to start off (maybe a trip down the pub at some point for dinner/drinkies), G&T's for prolonged sessions and Whiskey in the later hours. Diet Coke is also recommended, as are Tesco Bacon Crisps (or posh crisps, if that floats your boat). Sausage rolls also deserve an honourable mention.

Also, if its two player its likely to seriously change the sort of games compared to what I've mentioned. Battlefield 3 co-op is trash, get yourself onto a server and get some laser targeting/javelin going on aircraft - its hilarious how much people rage.

I can see Portal 2 being finished within the first evening and being boring afterwards, since you know all the puzzles. Maybe get another hour or so achievement wh0ring.

Revisor
17-02-2012, 12:39 PM
A more intensive question:
What to play when you have 4 days of life left?

agentorange
17-02-2012, 12:39 PM
I can see Portal 2 being finished within the first evening and being boring afterwards, since you know all the puzzles. Maybe get another hour or so achievement wh0ring.

Beware: I attempted the last achievement - getting through the final chapter without dying - with a friend, and it nearly destroyed our friendship. We never managed to do it.

Hardcore Japanese hentai games. Masturbate yourself into oblivion.

Jockie
17-02-2012, 12:50 PM
A more intensive question:

An impromptu tour of all the most influential games throughout your life?

I'd start with Sopwith/Castle, before moving onto the Atari ST years with a bit of Golden Axe, or double Dragon, before playing some Street Fighter 2 (arcade) and indulging briefly in some JRPGs (the first hour or so of Chrono Trigger, probably showcases the best bits). Then a System Shock 2 & Deus Ex Marathon, A quick season of Football/Championship Manager (CM 97/98 for me), rounded off with an all-night session of Civ II/IV.

Time for an afternoon of Quake III Arena would need to be found from somewhere and a return visit to Arulco with Ivan and co. is inevitable.

Man, I might have to schedule these four days and pretend I'm dying, because this sounds fun.

Sketch
17-02-2012, 02:39 PM
I'd recommend Operation Flashpoint of one of the ARMA games, even if you don't enjoy war sims, you can set up crazy LAN battles using the very easy to use Map Editor.

CMaster
17-02-2012, 03:44 PM
Another couple of ideas, if you really want to hoover up time:
Civ 4 or OpenTTD.
Both can be played coop or competetive. Both are great fun, but real time hogs.

karthink
18-02-2012, 06:58 AM
DWARF FORTRESS. All the time.

BillButNotBen
18-02-2012, 07:10 AM
This won't help you, but when i had 4 days off to finally play a game, I used to to try and finish off all the games I'd started, and burn through a few of the many indie-bundle games I'd picked up.

I didn't think I'd have time to finish a long-form game, and I didn't want to start one i wouldn't finish.

I wasn't doing co-op though.

creiij
18-02-2012, 08:16 PM

You sir are a very smart man. Second!

Chauvigny
19-02-2012, 12:15 AM
Tribes Ascend - Closed Beta but easy to acquire a key

World Of Tanks - F2P and you can form a 2-man platoon without a premium account (which you buy with ingame gold, that you buy with real world money)

Also.. and that is a rather weird choice, I know....

Deer Hunter 2005

I played that with a friend very often when we had our LANs and weren't in the mood for some fast action games.

Then there's Payday, a L4D-clone where the zombies are cops and you are robbers.

E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy features a Co-Op mode IIRC though I don't like the general asthetics that much.

If you don't want to spend money, Alien Swarm is an excellent top-down shooter with 4 player co-op, unlocks and achievements.

Not to forget, Borderlands! Lots of quests and guns. Once you changed the FOV to an acceptable value (google it, unfortunately you have to do some fiddling) it's very fun, though Claptrap can be a pain in the arse.

What's left? Maybe some Mount & Blade: Warband multiplayer? I heard there are RPG-like servers, though I only have experience with team deathmatch, which has a steep learning curve.

Then, I must say, (watch out, slight hyperbole) THE MOTHER OF CO-OP! SvenCo-op the terrific co-op mod that everybody on this planet should have played at least once.

Enjoy your 4 days off, they will be over way too soon. ;)

R-F
19-02-2012, 01:05 AM

I don't know, HARDCORE hentai is more "visit yourself into oblivion".