PDA

View Full Version : What should I play?

Ninjafoodstuff
15-02-2012, 01:42 PM
I'm feeling indecisive, so thought I would leave it to the wisdom of the cloud to decide on my behalf.
I've a few games I've barely touched but think I'm ready to invest some time in:

Temple of Elemental Evil with Co8 modpack
Arcanum
Starcraft 2 (SP)
King Arthur 1
Sins of a solar empire
Sword of the stars 1
Stalker with complete 2009 mod
King's bounty: the legend
Any recommendations from that lovely lot? I've tried each of them a little bit, but feel that now the time is right to try to master one of them.

SanguineAngel
15-02-2012, 01:47 PM
Well it depends what you want from it but I would go for Arcanum if you are happy going in for the long haul or StarCraft if you would like to play something a bit more casual or less time consuming. (I presume you meant the SP campaign)

fiddlesticks
15-02-2012, 01:51 PM
Arcanum is fantastic, but it takes quite a while to get through and the combat is more annoying than anything. The same goes for Stalker. ToEE meanwhile has great combat, but not much in the way of story/exploration (though the Co8 mod rectifies this somewhat). I haven't really played any of the others, so I can't help you there.

Ninjafoodstuff
15-02-2012, 01:54 PM
StarCraft if you would like to play something a bit more casual or less time consuming. (I presume you meant the SP campaign)
Indeed I did. I don't think I'll be dipping my toes into the muddy waters of MP, frankly most of the campaign I completed thus far is on the beginner or medium difficulty.

duff
15-02-2012, 02:03 PM
SoaSE with the expansions is really good.

Ninjafoodstuff
15-02-2012, 02:07 PM
SoaSE with the expansions is really good.
The problem I've had with SoaSE is that I always seem to hit a wall with it. I get to the point where I've captured a couple of planets and then there suddenly seems like too much to look after.

Drake Sigar
15-02-2012, 02:11 PM
Arcanum and King's Bounty: The Legend are two games I feel the need to play again just by hearing their names. Or reading their names. You get the point.

Heliocentric
15-02-2012, 02:20 PM
I voted sword of the stars, but you really do need to invest time into it to get the most fun out it.

pkt-zer0
15-02-2012, 02:20 PM
Would've voted for SC2 if it meant the multiplayer. The matchmaking is excellent, so you'll be facing off against equally skilled opponents. Not that your proficiency at the SP campaign translates into MP all that much (that's what challenge missions are for). You could also try 2v2 for some extra craziness! As a second option, King's Bounty's pretty cool. Zombie wives and all that.

DaftPunk
15-02-2012, 02:23 PM
Nothing beat good old stalker ^^

Berzee
15-02-2012, 02:25 PM
I voted for Arcanum, but it was a 50/50 split between that and King's Bounty. Arcanum has lots of great stuff to read and see, and KB has very fine battles.

(I haven't played any of the other games on the list though, hah, except for Stalker 2009 Complete ... I like Stalker, until it starts to get creepy, which is very soon. I would like it better with only human enemies and anomalies...not so much a fan of mutants and "ooooooooo zoom in on a creepy face" style monsters =P)

TailSwallower
15-02-2012, 02:35 PM
Indeed I did. I don't think I'll be dipping my toes into the muddy waters of MP, frankly most of the campaign I completed thus far is on the beginner or medium difficulty.

I voted SC2 then, because I found playing it on Hard and trying for the achievements (because they can be interesting to aim for, not just because they are achievements) to be great fun, and way better than just playing on Medium. You'll generally want to play through each mission in Medium first, just so you know what to expect of it once you tackle it in Hard mode.

Voon
15-02-2012, 03:13 PM
Arcanum, dood

I'd vote for STALKER, but would it be better to play it with the AMK Complete mod, instead?

Ninjafoodstuff
15-02-2012, 03:38 PM
Well looks like Arcanum has it. Thanks people! (Though I will definitely be sure to invest some more time in SoaSE at some point soon).

Sarlix
15-02-2012, 03:58 PM
Look again. It seems like Sins has it by a whisker.

edit: You had better be installing Sins. You can't ignore the poll now!

Revisor
15-02-2012, 04:09 PM
Arcanum and Stalker.

Jockie
15-02-2012, 04:28 PM
I voted for ToEE, because it was the game out of the above that surprised me most in terms of how much I enjoyed it; I went in somewhat sceptically in light of the bug-ridden reports and ended up getting a great deal out of it. Conversely, Arcanum left me pretty cold despite the love it gets. The combat system just seemed so poorly balanced.

Ninjafoodstuff
15-02-2012, 05:18 PM
Look again. It seems like Sins has it by a whisker.

edit: You had better be installing Sins. You can't ignore the poll now!

Can anyone recommend a good walkthrough/video that gives a runthrough of a typical game? I can't seem to get over that hump.

Sarlix
15-02-2012, 06:01 PM
Can anyone recommend a good walkthrough/video that gives a runthrough of a typical game? I can't seem to get over that hump.

I'm about to be late for work so I can't look now (might have something bookmarked) But have a look at the sins forum, you may find something useful there http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/ If not you can always watch a 'let's Play' on youtube to give you an idea. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz5Uo8ck2m8

Wizardry
15-02-2012, 06:17 PM
Temple of Elemental Evil easily. I can't believe Arcanum won.

SanguineAngel
15-02-2012, 06:50 PM
If it's any consolation, Wiz, researching the Co8 mod has made me decide to play that.... well not quite yet because of the huge list of games I am already busy not playing but certainly at some point! next time a want old school isometric rpg fix anyway instead of BG

SMiD
15-02-2012, 06:56 PM
I throw my hat into the ring for ToEE. You know it's the right choice!

Memph
15-02-2012, 06:56 PM
One vote for STALKER. Because i'd tried playing it twice and giving up before finally settling down with it and becoming absolutely hooked. I know many who say similar, that the directionless beginning with weapons too weak to dent a can was a turn-off. Once the mechanics sink in though (and complete '09 is installed ofc), it's genuinely involving stuff and if the atmosphere gets you, it'll get you good.

That said i've never played Arcanum, Starcraft 2, King Arthur 1, Sins of a Solar Empire, Sword of the Stars or King's Bounty: the Legend. I do have Arcanum though. Bytheby, any must have mods/fixes needed to play this?

Memph
15-02-2012, 07:04 PM
If it's any consolation, Wiz, researching the Co8 mod has made me decide to play that.... well not quite yet because of the huge list of games I am already busy not playing but certainly at some point! next time a want old school isometric rpg fix anyway instead of BG

AFAIK the mod mainly adds a small, bland grinding area to replace the hideous chore of the initial fed-ex quests, fixes some bugs and ups the level-cap to stonk through the later game. Unfortunately though i've never experienced this as even with the modpack the buggery thing still randomly decides that my last few saves are corrupt and I got sick to the back teeth of restarting my last micromanaged two hours of play because of it.

Ninjafoodstuff
15-02-2012, 07:10 PM
If not you can always watch a 'let's Play' on youtube to give you an idea. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz5Uo8ck2m8

Perfect thanks for that.

Serenegoose
15-02-2012, 07:20 PM
Temple of Elemental Evil easily. I can't believe Arcanum won.

I liked arcanum, but after I finished it I had no doubt in my mind that I'd just played through one of the most broken games I've ever experienced. It was bad. I enjoyed it at the time, but it was bad and I doubt I could play it again.

outoffeelinsobad
15-02-2012, 07:37 PM
I voted for STALKER because its the closest thing to Far Cry 2.

Wizardry
15-02-2012, 07:41 PM
I liked arcanum, but after I finished it I had no doubt in my mind that I'd just played through one of the most broken games I've ever experienced. It was bad. I enjoyed it at the time, but it was bad and I doubt I could play it again.
It's a pretty good game, but it feels like a sort of unfinished and more buggy Fallout 2 than anything else. It's a large game and is definitely the same style of RPG as Fallout, but at the same time it has massive issues such as having even worse combat yet far more of it.

Sarlix
15-02-2012, 11:53 PM
Perfect thanks for that.

No problem. Did you see the in-game tutorial btw? I totally forgot to mention it. It's probably a lot more useful than that let's play vid.

Not that it really matters now anyway, because it appears there are fresh votes on the poll and Stalker, sorry. S.T.A.L.K.E.R is now in the lead. Which means you have to stop playing Sins and start on S.T.A.L.K.E.R. That is how this is working right? The poll dictates everything?

Serenegoose
16-02-2012, 12:00 AM
It's a pretty good game, but it feels like a sort of unfinished and more buggy Fallout 2 than anything else. It's a large game and is definitely the same style of RPG as Fallout, but at the same time it has massive issues such as having even worse combat yet far more of it.

At the time I wasn't disciplined enough to stop myself using the grenades, which cost a colossal zero action points to throw and thus, can be used to defeat the end boss in a single turn. It wasn't much of a game for me once I discovered that exploit. :(

Ninjafoodstuff
16-02-2012, 12:21 AM
No problem. Did you see the in-game tutorial btw? I totally forgot to mention it. It's probably a lot more useful than that let's play vid.
Yeah I did. But it doesn't really translate well to actual gameplay.

Not that it really matters now anyway, because it appears there are fresh votes on the poll and Stalker, sorry. S.T.A.L.K.E.R is now in the lead. Which means you have to stop playing Sins and start on S.T.A.L.K.E.R. That is how this is working right? The poll dictates everything?

Indeed.

Heliocentric
16-02-2012, 12:31 AM
As a RTS affectionado I can't help despising sins of a solar empires simplicity to the point of reductiveness.

It's an rts where you have a few archetypal plays, and then you can mix them a little, but anything else is weaksauce.

Once you reveal your play the cost of swapping it far outweighs any disadvantages posed by your strategy being exposed.

Maybe I am too critical without spending enough time playing.

Sarlix
16-02-2012, 12:54 AM
Indeed.

You're at the mercy of the poll then!

@Helio - Vinraith is a bit of a RTS egg too, and he doesn't like Sins much. Going by this alone I think there probably is a fundamental flaw with the game, but I'm not an RTS God so I don't notice these little details. I personally enjoyed what I played of it - but my PC was less enthusiastic. A shame really.

Ninjafoodstuff
16-02-2012, 12:45 PM
I think I might make all of my gaming decisions this way now. Stalker is a bit weird but definitely one of the most atmospheric games I've ever played (although I now have no idea how much of that is due to the complete mod). I can't remember the last time something made me jump out of my chair.

Sarlix
16-02-2012, 05:37 PM
I think I might make all of my gaming decisions this way now. Stalker is a bit weird but definitely one of the most atmospheric games I've ever played (although I now have no idea how much of that is due to the complete mod). I can't remember the last time something made me jump out of my chair.

I've only played Stalker once and what was with complete mod. I too wondered how much the mod added to the atmosphere. I remember one section which involved walking through some street with derelict apartment blocks either side. It was drizzling with rain and the atmosphere was really gritty. Then suddenly all these guys started to appear at the windows of the buildings and out from every corner. The team I was supposed to be following through that section got wiped out, leaving me to try and get through by myself. It was so intense I had to quit out of the game lol.

Well it looks like all the voting has stopped on the poll so you will playing Stalker for a while now :-)

Revisor
16-02-2012, 06:39 PM
I played Stalker with and without the Complete mod. All or most of the tension and atmosphere comes from the original game.