PDA

View Full Version : RPS and Opera Web Browser

drfish
16-02-2012, 01:24 AM
Yeah, yeah, make fun of me all you want for being one of the 4 people on the planet that uses Opera but I wanted to mention that as of a few days ago RPS started not playing nice with Opera. On the main page only the first story loads. Tested and confirmed on multiple systems - no Opera update so it must be a change to RPS.

Just thought I'd point it out.

Feldspar
16-02-2012, 01:46 AM
I'm having the same problem, I put it down to the ME3 banner :)

But if I refresh two or three times it will load on my main machine, although not on the netbook.

Keep
16-02-2012, 02:01 AM
Wow what are the odds that both Opera users would also be RPS readers?

(I tease, I tease)

Trippin
16-02-2012, 04:47 PM
Hey i use Opera too, and i'm having the same problem after they started using the ME3 banners

Heliocentric
16-02-2012, 05:00 PM
Only use opera mini, works like clockwork. For what that is worth.

Trees_are_pretty_cool
16-02-2012, 07:20 PM
Change site preferences to "Never allow cookies", or enable content blocking, though this means you won't see any ads. Either way, I haven't been able to get the ads working on Opera >_>.

spacein_vader
16-02-2012, 09:51 PM
Another Opera user here. We must be nearly all of them.

Sadly.

drfish
16-02-2012, 10:20 PM
Wow, so many replies, that's awesome, LOL.

I fixed my issue by telling Opera to "mask as IE" for RPS (settings -> quick preferences -> edit site preferences -> network tab -> browser identification). Its the same thing I have to do for Glyde and other sites that needlessly tell me they don't support Opera.

Nice catch that its the ME3 ad. Figures.

Vague-rant
18-02-2012, 10:00 AM
Thought it was just me. It worked after a few refreshes, but it is a bit of a pain to get it working eventually.

Shark
18-02-2012, 10:21 AM
After experimenting with the content-blocker I can tell you it's not the banner.
My guess would be that the flash ads are the root of all evil. They crashed Opera last year for a lot of people (it seems every Opera user out there's also a RPS reader).

JamesG
18-02-2012, 04:52 PM
Oddly, I use Opera and haven't seen any troubles, either under Windows or Linux. I do have a script blocker on my windows system, but let most RPS scripts through. I just tried allowing everything, and while content didn't disappear, there seemed to be trouble requesting one of the scripts, so trouble may have been averted on account of network issues. (bs.serving-sys.com seems to be VERY slow to respond to most requests.)

Edit: Hah, well that's a load of use. I disabled the script blocker entirely and sure enough, only the first article loaded. Excellent, I thought, a chance to diagnose the problem. Only when I try and load the page with the developer tools activated, it all displays just fine.

drfish
19-02-2012, 01:44 PM
Yeah so my "fix" works less and less often now... :(

Wizardry
19-02-2012, 07:50 PM
I don't want to turn you all away from Opera but...

Wizardry uses Opera.

Feldspar
19-02-2012, 08:28 PM
Wizardry uses Opera.

Make everyone's day and say you use a skin that mimics a 25 year old RPG.

Heliocentric
19-02-2012, 11:45 PM
Make everyone's day and say you use a skin that mimics a 25 year old RPG.
http://my.opera.com/community/customize/skins/info/?id=644

Vexing Vision
20-02-2012, 08:08 AM
Opera here too, and there hasn't been a single BioWare/EA ad that made me want to buy a game for the past six months.

Spinoza
22-02-2012, 11:52 PM
Hi. Me use Opera also and reads RPS. Got this same problem as OP.

Feldspar
23-02-2012, 05:04 PM
I haven't had a re-occurrence since the ME3 banner went on it's merry way, which leads me to the conclusion that EA hide sinister and evil things in their adverts, obviously.

drfish
05-03-2012, 12:40 PM
Ugh... Its back... ...and so are the ME3 adds...

Vexing Vision
05-03-2012, 01:57 PM
Yep. :( Really anything by EA recently. :(

The Vessel-ad was fine.

Feldspar
05-03-2012, 06:14 PM
Ditto, maybe it's Opera's way of saving us from EA.

grok23
05-03-2012, 08:43 PM
I noticed the same problem a while back, but was able to fix it using Opera's own content blocking system.

How to fix it:

1. Open RPS in Opera.
2. Right click anywhere on the page that isn't a link.
3. Choose block content.
4. Click on the banner ad to the right of the RPS logo.
5. Click on done in the top right of the browser.

RPS should load as normal again.

drfish
05-03-2012, 10:28 PM
I guess it has to come to that. I don't ad-block anything but I will make an exception here. Thanks for the tip.

Duckee
10-03-2012, 02:21 PM
I noticed the same problem a while back, but was able to fix it using Opera's own content blocking system.

How to fix it:

1. Open RPS in Opera.
2. Right click anywhere on the page that isn't a link.
3. Choose block content.
4. Click on the banner ad to the right of the RPS logo.
5. Click on done in the top right of the browser.

RPS should load as normal again.

Grok23 fixed this issue for me. Thank god.

elephant god
15-03-2012, 09:19 PM
I've had a few problems with the ads here, but I've been using Opera since before it was free, so a few problems here and there are nothing i can't fix.

Right now though, I can't at all log into the comments system. tried it with chrome and it works fine. I think it's since the reply system changed. I'm not such a frequent commenter, but please, in the true spirit of PC gaming, account for the underdog and fix the site for opera users!

apricotsoup
16-03-2012, 08:44 PM
I'm an opera user with no problems, which looking over this I'll attribute to my content blocker :/

May come back after running some tests but so far all is normal.

lasikbear
23-05-2012, 05:40 PM
Anyone else having problems with the main site in Opera at the moment? Seems to have broken in the past half hour.

Lacero
28-05-2012, 09:17 PM
Anyone else having problems with the main site in Opera at the moment? Seems to have broken in the past half hour.

It's working fine for me, but I have been forced to content block in the past to use the site at all as all the previous posts mention. If you take the dark path you may find it works again.

(which reminds me I should subscri..ah paypal still. Always the same problems :/)

rapchee
01-06-2012, 08:47 PM
another opera user sayin hi
i read the site via the rss feed, so i rarely see the main page
also, why can i not start a thread XI i want a thread i can call my own
first i thought it's opera related but it was the same in firefox

Feldspar
01-06-2012, 09:29 PM
another opera user sayin hi
i read the site via the rss feed, so i rarely see the main page
also, why can i not start a thread XI i want a thread i can call my own
first i thought it's opera related but it was the same in firefox

I'd imagine the not being able to start a thread is due to the current form of keeping spambots from posting, not sure if it means you need a certain postcount or length of membership or some more arcane form of measurement (my money's on the quantum spin of any sub-atomic particles emitted from your left ear).

rapchee
01-06-2012, 10:00 PM
I'd imagine the not being able to start a thread is due to the current form of keeping spambots from posting, not sure if it means you need a certain postcount or length of membership or some more arcane form of measurement (my money's on the quantum spin of any sub-atomic particles emitted from your left ear).
i suppose i could buy this brand new sub-atomic particle measurer! youtube.com/wysiwyg
(http://ohmyimsofunny.com)