PDA

View Full Version : Trackmania 2 gameplay

The JG Man
11-06-2011, 09:20 PM
Found this video while lurking elsewhere. I hope you like Italian commentary! (http://multiplayer.it/video/trackmania-2-per-pc/trackmania-2-canyon-videoanteprima-e3-2011-con-umberto-moioli.hi/)

Graphically, it looks fantastic. 3 minutes split into about 2 minutes on one track and then the rest on another, which we don't see to completion. Looks very, very fun. I hope this has better controller support than United Forever, but that's small fry relatively speaking.

There's also this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq68SfB2ivw&hd=1

EndelNurk
11-06-2011, 09:49 PM
Is that Tim Edwards?

I can't really spot any major differences. The car looks like it handles well which is nice. As I've said before, I prefer the craziness of the Island car but this one seems like it would be good for the folks who prefer a less frantic experience.

What were the controller problems with TM United? It seems okay to me but then I'm not a racing game aficionado and I might not have noticed some option that is usually taken for granted.

The JG Man
11-06-2011, 09:57 PM
Well I was using the 360 controller. Standard issue of not being able to use the triggers. Could otherwise map most buttons fine, which is why I said it was a secondary complaint. It feels better to use the triggers to accelerate/brake, rather than the shoulders which I have them mapped too.

EndelNurk
11-06-2011, 10:01 PM
The accelerator can be mapped to the trigger buttons. Not the brake though, unfortunately.

The JG Man
11-06-2011, 10:46 PM
I can't believe I didn't notice that before. What an idiot. Thanks!

EndelNurk
11-06-2011, 10:51 PM
I probably shouldn't have said that. Now you'll beat me even more in the RPS league :(

EndelNurk
12-06-2011, 07:42 PM
Seems like it's possible to map brake to a trigger button as well. I'm afraid I can't remember how I did that. I only remember the analogue option for accelerate, not for break.

measurements
12-06-2011, 09:17 PM
Both Triggers work as the same analogue Z axis I think, but trackmania doesn't pick up on the analogue part. What you do is bind accelerate (analogue) to your accelerate trigger and breaking becomes the opposite trigger. I think. It's not true analogue, but you get triggers for break and accelerate.

The JG Man
12-06-2011, 11:09 PM
I'll try fiddling along with that, ta. But, yeah, not enough discussion about TM2! And look at it, it's TM2! You can tell because of the 2!

But seriously, it's looking pretty nice. I like how he says in that second video "You can change the appearance", so they're obviously aware of those mods that have custom texture sets and it enables different terrain to have certain vehicle types on. Nice.

The JG Man
08-08-2011, 01:40 PM
*Wipes dust*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hj7oVuHlFKs

An embargo was recently lifted. There's a few beta videos roaming around YouTube, but I think this one speaks for itself.

Tei
08-08-2011, 01:44 PM
We have gone very far since Pole Position. But I can play Pole Position offline. Do this game include ubisoft DRM?

Chris Evans
08-08-2011, 01:45 PM
That is very impressive, it is looking lovely.

The JG Man
08-08-2011, 01:57 PM
I have no idea, Tei. I'm not sure what release details there are at all. To be honest, I haven't looked.

I think the game is out in September too, so, should be getting some new info soonish.

Spacewalk
08-08-2011, 02:05 PM
This looks almost exactly like the Daytona 3 I have in my imagination looks like. All it needs is more cars on screen and a theme song and I'm burning rubber.

ComradePenguin
08-08-2011, 02:15 PM
Be interesting to see how they price this up given they seem like they're going to be selling it one environment at a time.

Vexing Vision
08-08-2011, 02:16 PM
It's a shame they're taking the second-most boring map-type first (at least it's better than bloody Stadium).

This is a game I'll play online exclusively anyway. Although I'll spend more time building tracks in the first place.

The JG Man
08-08-2011, 02:18 PM
Be interesting to see how they price this up given they seem like they're going to be selling it one environment at a time.

I honestly can't remember where, but I seem to recall seeing that the first location, Canyon, would be a base game at a lower release price than standard, with additional locations being expansion pack priced so that theoretically speaking, in the end you'd pay full price for the full game (if you wanted that).

lhzr
08-08-2011, 03:07 PM
yeah, they said it's gonna be around 20eu / environment, which they hope to release at the rate of one per year.

here's more info about the game: http://tinyurl.com/3huwo92 it's google-translated from german, but it's readable.

i don't like some of the stuff they're saying about the car physics, like the car feeling more like a car (they prolly mean it's gonna feel heavier). that's not what i play trackmania for, the Coast car being my least favorite and it sounds like the one from Canyon will be similar. also they're saying there's gonna be a delay of 1/4-1/2 of a second when steering and that most of the time you'll be forced to drift when taking curves. oh, and they removed the air control, which means you'll have to restart from a checkpoint much more often than in United, when you won't make a perfect jump.

so i'm not sold on the game yet, this move towards realism isn't what i want from a new TM. hopefully they'll open up the beta or put a demo out, although i don't remember any demos for their previous games (i could be wrong on this, though).

Veracity
08-08-2011, 08:04 PM
@Tei: you can't really play Trackmania offline. Even nominally single-player it's constantly talking to its server. Granted, it will at least run disconnected, though, which this might not since UbiDRM is "successful".

Also surprised by my overwhelming meh. It doesn't look bad, but neither do I see any reason I need it. I suppose they can actively kill United/Nations, but that's unlikely to go down well. I didn't know they'd ditched magic air brakes. Whatever for?

The JG Man
11-08-2011, 04:26 AM
Okay, more details, pertaining to how one actually buys this and other such. From the blog (http://blog.maniaplanet.com/?p=112):

From the 17th of August, you will be able to pre-purchase Canyon for $25/20 and gain access to the multiplayer beta and on release, be automatically updated to the full version. You can buy it on trackmania.com.

So what about Steam? Well...no, is the short answer. It seems that what you download, as they describe it (more below) is a sort of operating system for the coming Mania games. You download this and within it access Trackmania. Similarly, when Shootmania and the other Mania come out, you'll be able to launch them from there. The idea is that people who use one will see others, maybe get involved with them. Imagine the Mania platform being Origin in that sense, but the only games in it are Mania games, just like there are so far only EA games in Origin.

Because of this, it seems like it won't currently be able to go on Steam. It seems like if it does come on Steam though, it wouldn't be until next year. Anyhow, below is a quote/link shamelessly found via NeoGAF that Nadeo (http://forum.maniaplanet.com/viewtopic.php?f=207&t=2913&start=20#p44341) have said regarding the matter. Not the clearest of speak, but it essentially sorta makes sense. Ish.

The game is unnanounced on Steam at the moment. If it arrives, it will be later.

We are used to Steam and both TrackMania Nations and United have been well distributed over the year on it. I also use Steam as a consumer and find it great. It has good services and it is confortable for many aspects. But we are now launching Maniaplanet, and there are two main reasons for waiting before a potential integration in Steam.

First, this is like a game operating system and it is very complexe for a lot of topics. Some of you already tested the automatic updater, know that we are synchronizing profile on our side that all the titles will be in one executable etc. I am not sure Steam would fit in Steam, like I am not sure an internet browser would fit in an internet browser. it is a distant comparison and we may even look after supporting Steam in addition to the stand alone platform, but we concentrate on the game at the moment.

Second, Maniaplanet is a collection of titles. It has it's own reasons to be together and to provide to the users an inner circle of thrust and also of products, off course. In Maniaplanet, all the titles will share the capacities of a user powered platform, you will have only one account and a single layer of software, you will have one support system, one taste, one standard of quality and one level of thrust. This is a strength for Steam and other succesful companies, and we would like it to be a strength of us in the eyes of our clients. We would like people to think that any title on Maniaplanet is a fun, beautiful, working well on their PC and with quality support. I don't say we will succeed and players can be doubtful at the beginning and we even may lose sells because of this. And we may also adapt depending on the results we are capable to reach.

Only one thing annoys me a here. If, finally, we spend the work required to overcome the first point and decide that it is better for consumer, finally, to go with the second ones, it means that we may try to put Maniaplanet on Steam. At this moment, if you bought the title outside but would like it to be included in your library, you would have to buy it again. We know people do this, especially when prices are low. We could say it is good for us, but I don't really like it. The right solution would be for Steam to "sell" only the integration in the library, corresponding to the effective revenu they would like from it. They are able to sell lot of games at very low price, so it may means that it could be a reasonnable price, even if it is always a balance of everything that defines a price policy.

So, if you really want it on Steam, I can suggest to wait of either see a change in their policy, so you can feel secure to buy it outside of it today or to wait to see if we go on it and all I can say to help is that if it happens, it is very likely to be next year.

I appreciate Valve a lot and their approach on many topics, from the way they work inside the studio to the way they promote indies. Sometimes I make joke about fighting against Valve, but that's more because we see them as great competitors. And rest assured that I don't think they see us like that ^_^

Finally, to make the answer even more complete, and so you can understand why I took time to explain this, I can say that the real question for me was to go 100% on Steam or 0%, at least at the beginning. Going 100%, we would have used their tools and the players would have had the same environment for all. The first point would have been compensated by the time gained by using their tools. But while it presented good advantages, it is always a risk linked to an unknown future of the company, on a technical aspect of things or a business one. Our team stayed on PC instead of consoles because we are somehow independant of many things, and this is also like a dependancy I wanted to avoid. I wish it is the right decision and that the Maniaplanet players will think this in the future as well.

Vexing Vision
11-08-2011, 07:27 AM
See, EA? This is how you promote a new online-shop.

I'll pre-order.

The JG Man
11-08-2011, 12:19 PM
To be honest though, I don't really see the difference here, apart from it'd be easier for EA to put their games on than the new Mania titles. Anyhow, that is for another thread.

Vexing Vision
11-08-2011, 04:37 PM
To be honest though, I don't really see the difference here, apart from it'd be easier for EA to put their games on than the new Mania titles. Anyhow, that is for another thread.

The difference is that this Mania World is doing some tremendoulsy awesome and interesting stuff. I, as a consumer, realize that it makes sense for Mania World to exist independently from other other digital hubs and distributions. I do not share the same feeling for EA, despite their Dragon Age Bioware Network thing. I also don't feel the added value from Blizzard's Battle.net.

But Mania World, I get.

The JG Man
11-08-2011, 06:31 PM
Well the Bioware Network thing is something completely different entirely, not to mention irrelevant, that I have issues with on its own. At the sheer fundamental level here, you have one company offering one set of games and another offering others. One of them is okay, the other is not; at the fundamental level. That doesn't make sense. If you like one of those sets of games more, that's fine, but that doesn't change the services they are offering. Nadeo are specifying that the reason they're doing this is to get more attention to their other titles. They may be saying it nicely, but that is not at all different to what EA offer with Origin or, shudder, dare I say, Valve offer with Steam (albeit Steam being more advanced).

Why not have the application for Mania world open from Steam then? I'm not saying I don't appreciate what they do, but to give them a pass and not others for doing exactly the same thing doesn't really hold up.

Hylis
09-11-2011, 11:24 AM
Would Steam works on Steam?

There is the operating system, like Windows, and somehow, the gaming operating system. And it is more difficult to put an operating system into another. Rules of updates, beta handlings, clouding, achievements, notifications, groups, buddies, rankings, player key management, file type link, application protocole like former tmtp, install directories, cache management are some of the first items you would like to take care maybe on a different angle. Even if all this are somehow 'details', the complete list may require additional work. So, for us, either it was Steamworks, or our work.

Then, there is future. What is going to be the future of Steam, where do they go? Maniaplanet is a very long term project, and it is more difficult to make short term decision in this space. If you have a single game, that is designed to live maybe for a year max including dlc, then you may say that the next iteration, you can make other decisions. But it is difficult to engage ourselves for many years on a platform which would likely want to be independant itself from following our requirements.

Like I said earlier, it is good to be an independant developer, like Valve are. I know they have ask Microsoft to do what they did with Steam before. Today, how could they have put it on Playstation 3 if Microsoft did it. So if Valve read this one day, I am quite sure they understand what I mean ^_^

lhzr
05-04-2012, 08:05 PM
Eurogamer Trackmania 2 one month demo keys (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-04-05-trackmania-2-canyon-one-month-free-code-giveaway)

It's what it says on the tin.

If there'd have been a demo when this came out, especially a 1 month long one, I probably wouldn't have bought it. That being said, go ahead and give it a try, it's not awful, but it's not TM1 either. Actually I'd much rather recommend the free TM Nations instead of this, but hey, TM2 looks very good and.. umm, yeah.

Smashbox
05-04-2012, 08:35 PM
Yep, yep, yep. That worked! Thanks for the link.