PDA

View Full Version : MMOs

Rossignol
12-06-2011, 12:09 AM
Anyone playing anything MMOish?

I suspect my time with MMOs is over, but I am still hoping something will come up...

vinraith
12-06-2011, 12:18 AM
The closest I'm likely to come to something MMOish is Guild Wars 2 when it releases, though the very fact that it's more like an MMO than its predecessor may put me off it.

LittleLizard
12-06-2011, 12:30 AM
Ehm... Participating in a forum counts?

Joseph
12-06-2011, 12:31 AM
I used to love MMOs, then I stopped. Not quite sure why.
But I'll play Salem when it finally shows it's head.

SoulPride
12-06-2011, 12:32 AM
Recently had a go with WoW playing with a couple of other RPS chaps. It got to the point where fewer and fewer people were logging on every evening, though, so it kinda fizzled out for me. Cataclysm dungeons can be very fun as a healer, especially on heroic difficulty, if you play with people you know. The problem for me was that a lot of the time I had to rely on the dungeon finder to get groups, and more often than not you get grouped with at least one truly awful human being which can really ruin the whole experience.

I really miss the first few years of Everquest (classic + first two expansions). Soloing was just impracticable for pretty much every class - it really forced people to be social. Plus, no instances made for a stronger server community (in my opinion).

Guild Wars 2 is looking interesting. It looks like they've got some great ideas, but I'm interested in what the "end game" will consist of. I've seen one quote from a developer saying something along the lines of "the end game begins at level 1", which sounds cool but leaves me a little worried about what players can actually do once they reach max level. In any case Arena Net seem to be on the ball, I'm confident they'll ship a pretty classy game.

Edit: Played Rift a few weeks as well. Can't really say anything bad about it from what little I've played. Certainly it's gorgeous, and the mechanics seemed solid, but it just wasn't different enough for me from what I'm used to. Just lost interest.

OctaneHugo
12-06-2011, 01:04 AM
If the Fallout MMO ever comes out and is good I suspect my life outside the internet will end.

Skalpadda
12-06-2011, 01:30 AM
Still playing WoW on and off but to be honest my guild is the only thing that keeps me coming back, and if it wasn't for the community and the random silly things we get up to I would have dropped the game long ago.

Had some random pokes at LotRO over the years, both before and after the F2P move, but the quality is so uneven and the game swings from great and atmospheric to wonky and awkward too much for me. I've also been reading the books yearly since I was about 10, so the constant bludgeoning of the lore grates quite a bit.

Gave Guild Wars a try a while ago and while setting up your character and messing around with different skills was great fun there was nothing else in the game that really grabbed me.

I'd really love a new MMO to sink my teeth into, exploring a massive world and all that, but there isn't much out there that seems interesting enough. Might give TOR a try, if it reviews well and I hear more good things about it, othat than that it's just GW2 that looks very promising, but I'm a bit wary so that one will probably also have to wait until people start giving opinions after release.

WitchfinderG
12-06-2011, 01:31 AM
Playing some EverQuest on the new progression server. Mostly while working.

pakoito
12-06-2011, 03:10 AM
The latest "buzz" on MMOs are online brawlers such as Dungeon Fighters and I'm offering a Rusted Hearts (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAzeVLaJV4E) key in the RPS kindness thread. This one comes from Perfect World, the guys that made one of the few korean grindfest capable of looking on-par with WoW.

icupnimpn2
12-06-2011, 04:05 AM
Not playing MMOs here. I keep thinking I'll give Champions a try, or LotR. But then I don't. I'm very much a single-player guy, and MMOs seem to want too large of chunks of time.

Led Zeppelin
12-06-2011, 06:04 AM
I'm playing a Cheinese(i think) mmo,called Loong

It's pretty good,i like the battle system and the graphics are really good for an mmo
here is a trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8uqQ_hwEp0&feature=player_embedded#at=23

revelationspace
12-06-2011, 07:23 AM
For the millionth time I've been tempted back to EVE. I just wanted a 'passive' game that I can alt-tab in and out of whilst doing my assignments. Just doing distribution missions as they are low risk and slowly raising my rep and ISK balance.

I can't say I've ever found EVE fun, but it is oddly satisfying.

I have tried Star Trek Online again recently and I love the space combat and the customization of your ship/crew. Ground combat is still awful, I wish they'd just scrap it and have it as a fun FPS straight up shooter like Elite Force. I just don't find it worth the money, it would work great as F2P. As it is Cryptic charge a bloody fortune for all the DLC, you'd think it was F2P.

WoW I've given up on. I just wasn't gripped by Cataclysm. I think the problem was I'd just burned out on the game too many times already. It's a great game but no longer worth the money for me.

Ezhar
12-06-2011, 08:44 AM
Still have a Rift subscription, but haven't really played since the Witcher 2 came out and then Terraria and then I decided to re-play Oblivion, all of which seemed more fun than the repetitive boredom of doing daily quests/dungeons. Although I did enjoy Rift for a good while, mostly because some of it reminded me of the EQ1 glory days.

KauhuK
12-06-2011, 09:21 AM
I have tried WoW for a month and Age of Conan for a month. Both were ok but I didn't get myself into a good guild that would have served as a community to make me stay. Alone in those games or in a guild that doesnt do about anything is boring so I stopped playing them. I played Aion for 6 months with a year in between the first three months and last three months. Both times I could manage that long because I was in good legions (guilds). Then I have also played EVE for few months but even though it's slow and not very captivating there is something oddly satisfying in it like revelationspace said.

Most time I have used in Guild Wars. It is not a mmo but It was the first online "rpg" for me because at the time it came out I could not have afforded playing WoW. I'm not playing it anymore, just logging in once in a while to see how things are going. I have changed guilds so many times in GW that I dont even remember how many. There have been awesome guilds and bad guilds and allkinds of things in between. Most of the time I had to change guilds was because ppl just stopped playing and there were not enough ppl to play with. Also I have been in many MMO betas like APB, RIFT and others I dont remember.

I'm looking forward to Guild Wars 2 and hope it delivers enough of its promises to make it worth its while.

Vandelay
12-06-2011, 09:56 AM
I don't play any MMOs and never really have, bar Guild Wars. Something would have to be truly special to make me pay a monthly fee and nothing has come along to really tempt me. EVE is probably the one that looks the most interesting, but I didn't get far into the trial version before I realised I would need to put hundreds of hours into it to get anything out of playing.

Guild Wars I did play for quite a bit, but left after eventually noticing how boring it was. The combat was exceptionally dull, not helped by the mate I was playing with managing to pick an incredibly powerful spell he could just spam (as ever, I went for the powers that sounded cool, but were terrible.) There just didn't seem to be any depth at all. Which leaves me complete baffled by the comments on it now that the sequel is coming, as people are saying how much there was to it! I can only assume they were talking about PvP, as the PvE was just boring. I think it mainly came down to it not having vast amounts of loot, story being mundane and lack of things to upgrade, all the things I like from an RPG. Both of us got the sense that we were missing something, somewhere that had all the options, but this just never seemed to come along.

Of upcoming MMOs, The Secret World could be interesting. I love The Longest Journey, so anything from the same team is going to be worth taking note of. Planetside could be good too. Never played the original, but the idea of a persistant FPS is very tempting.

Flint
12-06-2011, 10:07 AM
Playing WoW on and off - I don't have a continuous subscription and instead buy a two-month game card whenever the desire hits me. Cataclysm has slightly made me a bit less interested in the game though: while I adore a lot of the new features, the current quest design of making things very linear and breezing you through content is somewhat of a damaging hit to the side of the game I like the most, ie questing and exploring.

I'm sure I'll get around to it again at some point though, bit too busy with other games right now.

Kadayi
12-06-2011, 10:40 AM
Aside from my aversion to the overgrown Cat & naked rabbit people I'm faintly interested in Guild Wars 2 principally because they are if not revolutionizing the existing MMO format, at least evolving it mechanistically (something Bioware Austin should of been attempting with TOR). Whether that interest will generate into an actual sale and playtime I'm uncertain at this point in time. An MMO is a serious time commitment and I love my SP games.

Izzmatazz
12-06-2011, 11:14 AM
Been playing In Por Ylem (IPY (http://inporylem.com/) ) on and off since it launched in February. It's a free Ultima Online shard, been modified but not over the top. The core of the game is all intact and based on the original pre trammel rules. I have to add it's one hell of a grind. I'm nowhere near GM and I'/ve been at it on and off for months. Which has put me off really combined with the nostalgia wearing off.
Still, it's fun and free. The forums behave just the same as they did back in the day. Whinge, moan, flame, repeat!

Mouth of 10000 Teeth
12-06-2011, 11:23 AM
EVE I dip in and out of, sometimes running missions with old corpmates or taking people I know who've just started on a couple of jaunts so-on. I'd love to get back out to 0.0, but without a functioning corp or the time to justify membership in a new one, I don't see it happening. One day I might get together enough ISK to buy something sneaky and roam around soloing, but maybe not. Without something adjusting the balance away from capship combat - something I've never really been interested in - I don't see myself as ever getting properly involved in it again.

I've got a Warhammer Online account that I let lapse a long time ago. I got it about a month after launch and was horrified with how fast some people had managed to level. I liked a lot of the ideas, such as the wide variety of loot that actually has an impact on your ability at early levels, but the game as a whole was a bit... sterile. Not grim enough and I really hate the WoW-style combat controls.

The other game I invested time in was Ultima Online. I loved it in the early days, continued because of some good people and interesting challenges (I've never played a game that was as rewarding for solo PvE in terms of variety and risk/reward) in the mid-end game stage. Then they wrecked it beyond all recognition. I'd probably still play if I could find a decent The Second Age indie shard, but the ones I've tried were either sparsely populated or had stupid rule mods.

I tried WoW years ago and found it very dull so never went beyond the trial period. I'll be very interested in 40k Online when there's enough information about it to make any kind of decision. Other than that, I haven't heard anything about an MMO that has interested me enough to investigate. Since leaving university/singledom/self-employed work from home, I don't have time to justify even checking out anything that isn't a massive blip on my nerd radar. Maybe once upon a time I'd have been quite hopeful about The Old Republic but since Bioware have gone from the top to near the bottom of my favourite developer lists, I really have no interest in it. I also think that Galaxies showed the problems with a game world where everyone wants to be an ultra-elite ninja magician.

Rossignol
12-06-2011, 11:42 AM
Anyone tried Perpetuum?

Lobotomist
12-06-2011, 12:01 PM
Yes. I was in beta. Its basically EVE on ground.

Its pretty polished for trainwreck known as new MMO releases. But I felt it brings nothing to the table to rival EVE. So why bother.

---

I personally was obsessed by MMOs. I played and beta tested every mmo up to 2011. But it ended , because there is really nothing any good out that genre released since 2004.
MMO genre with so much potential turned out to be that saddest mirror of casualised game industry.

And the saddest thing is that there is no hope for the future , because the MMOs in development (few that remain) are sad examples as well.

I think that MMO genre died with Vanguard. That was our last hope.

GW2 will probably bring a good game to the table. But its not what MMOs should be in 2012

Danny252
12-06-2011, 12:24 PM
I play EVE, and have tried WOW. WOW barely held my interest for a week - why spend all your time holding down W and spamming various special ability buttons when you can just right click "warp to station" and punch F1 to make things go boom?

Started EVE end of 08 and wandered between indy and lowsec PVP, left summer 10 and was back for a bit at the end of 2010/11 to go play in WSpace. It was pretty damn boring - never anyone to shoot, and anything more than a 3 man corp seemed to cause the sites to go bone-dry within days. Plus we ended up in the most retarded alliance ever - I had great fun warping around their system in a neutral alt for 3 hours, whilst listening to the complete fail of them trying to catch me on vent, though. </troll>

Back now and playing down in Nullsec - much better than wormholes: it has local, and there's always belt rats :)

measurements
12-06-2011, 12:29 PM
My only experience of MMO's have been firstly Silk Road, a free to play. That game was a little broken because you could set up healing and mana potion rules (drink this at 40% health). In doing so, become invincible but strained in cost.

Secondly, two fucking years of World of Warcraft. There's a game that I love and hate. I still posit that it is in possession of excellent core mechanics, and those almost flawless, dull, functional systems are hugely why it has been successful. However, it died a certain death and I am a flawed human being that cannot help but prioritise it over real life. It also changes and updates way too fast, even for a player as commited as I was. I like how customizable the UI was, and how symulatenously in control of your character you are and how at liberty you are to move about wherever you like. Everything is communicated to you very clearly.

I'm looking forward to WH40k Dark Millenium Online, but with cynically low expectations.

And I've completely forgotten to mention my two EVE online attempts. There's a game that could be so much better. And before you defend it, I don't mean turning it into World of Warcraft. I like the combat as it is, I quite like the everything as it is. What's poor is the UI. That's what the learning curve is actually about. Learning what to do to actually achieve what you want to do. If EVE online had the kind of moddability of WoW (note, not making the game WoW, just changing the shitting UI) then I would probably still be playing it from my first try. Infact I'm still tempted to try EVE a third time as I now have a job to afford it. But... it still smacks too much of being a second career (memories of training with the only corp I joined are ones of a staunch and serious man taking the act of jumping through star gates WAY too seriously). I would have to become a dick head and just grief people, using plex sales to bank roll my ineptitude. I dunno. It's like there's this wonderful universe out there and you just can't quite access it yet. EVE is a game that doesn't want to be played.

tl;dr WoW and EVE online, but mostly just UI design.

Lightbulb
12-06-2011, 01:08 PM
There just didn't seem to be any depth at all. Which leaves me complete baffled by the comments on it now that the sequel is coming, as people are saying how much there was to it! I can only assume they were talking about PvP, as the PvE was just boring.

For me the most fun was had in GW making (and then playing) Guild vs Guild. You had teams of 8 vs 8. So that was 64 skills you had to work with. You needed to balance offence with defence. You needed to come up with counters to the currently played builds and then tweak to suit player preference.

If you weren't interested in that you could just play it.

You needed a leader (sometimes several leaders if the team split up)

You needed healers - who had a totally different (and equally fun) role to play.

You needed good offensive players (Warriors were not silly 'tanks' in PvP but the damage dealers they should have been in PvE), as well as good supporting players.

It was also a real team effort. Everyone had a role to play. You had to act tactically as a unit as well as play skilfully individually.

The ladder based system meant that normally you got a fairly close game (though sometimes if luck was against you you got paired with a team laughably better than you - but those generally didn't last long and it was kind of fun just trying to hold off a far superior force).

Basically it was everything i liked about Counter-Strike (clan vs clan, tactics and play skill equally important) but in a RPG type setting.

PvE was ok but it basically comes down to doing the right thing. There is little thinking on your feet, little unpredictability - things which GvG needed in spades...

It did have some (major) problems with balance but it was still fun.

I hope GW2 has some of these aspects else it will be a poorer game.

------------

MMOwise I played a bit of DDO this week since i was in the mood for some D&D but didn't have the NWN2 disks to hand. Basically the benefit of MMO's is the social side. They are soulless without this aspect - and it must be admitted quite boring!

Mistabashi
12-06-2011, 02:21 PM
If the Fallout MMO ever comes out and is good I suspect my life outside the internet will end.

There already is a Fallout MMO: http://fonline2238.blogspot.com/

Haven't tried it yet myself, supposedly it's pretty brutal and I don't know how much of an English-speaking community there is, but If you're a fan of the original Fallout games it'll probably tickle your interest a little bit at least.

Jockie
12-06-2011, 03:04 PM

Haven't tried it yet myself, supposedly it's pretty brutal and I don't know how much of an English-speaking community there is, but If you're a fan of the original Fallout games it'll probably tickle your interest a little bit at least.

I tried that, but only because a cool guy who I hadn't spoken to in about 2 years dragged me into it, he's the bloke who drew my avatar actually, but I digress. It seemed very unpolished and very un-user friendly when I tried it, it's basically fallout 2 with no story and no direction. It had a very detailed looking crafting system, and a very hardcore feel to it. I gave up after about 10 minutes because I had no idea what to do and had failed to meet a single other player.

airtekh
12-06-2011, 03:39 PM
Up until recently I'd never tried an MMO in my life. However, in the last year or so I've tried both World of Warcraft and Eve Online, mostly out of sheer curiosity.

I didn't play either at any great length unfortunately. I stuck with WoW for about two weeks and Eve for about a month.

I guess you really need to be part of a guild or corporation to fully enjoy an MMO. I was playing solo, and while I got some fun out the experience, it quickly became repetitive.

OctaneHugo
12-06-2011, 03:39 PM

Tried that ~September of 09 and my experience was very much like Jockie's was. I always see it and think I should try it out on a rainy day and then forget about it, because I suppose it's been updated a lot since then.

Shakermaker
12-06-2011, 04:04 PM
The only MMO I have played extensively is WoW. I have tried most of the MMO games that were released in the last six or seven years, but Warcraft was the only one I enjoyed playing for longer than a month. I did like RIFT, but I found I had enough of the whole MMO formula. Maybe GW2 will change that. I kinda hope so in any case. I will also most likely get The Old Republic, but like Kadayi said elsewhere that is more out of a feeling of morbid curiosity.

TheTourist314
12-06-2011, 04:10 PM
So I just started the free two-week trial of EVE Online and I'm impressed by it but also not sure where to start. Any suggestions, tips, etc?

measurements
12-06-2011, 04:28 PM
TheTourist: fiddle and customize with the UI and shortcuts as much as you see fit. When I first tried it I wasn't allowed keyboard shortcuts, so it's a nice time to join. Shortcuts don't have to be CTRL+S they can just be S. Do all the training missions and agents all the way through to the end. They will give you ships and money and let you see what you enjoy. Do use outside advice to help with learning skills, and what to learn. The certificate system seems like great guidance to new players.

Mainly though, shoot things in space. Ask questions in rookie help or whatever channel you're in. Avoid zealous and serious players.

Also I have a suspicion that it is a false economy to believe that you can earn in game currency to pay for your account time because the hours worked in game will be much less efficient than... a job. Perhaps at the top end of the game this is not true.

endintears
12-06-2011, 04:35 PM
Been playing In Por Ylem (IPY (http://inporylem.com/) ) on and off since it launched in February. It's a free Ultima Online shard, been modified but not over the top. The core of the game is all intact and based on the original pre trammel rules. I have to add it's one hell of a grind. I'm nowhere near GM and I'/ve been at it on and off for months. Which has put me off really combined with the nostalgia wearing off.
Still, it's fun and free. The forums behave just the same as they did back in the day. Whinge, moan, flame, repeat!

I'm still hoping for a modern MMO that captures everything I found great about Ultima Online. The classless skill system, the viability of non-combat builds, player housing without instancing, mounted combat, tameable dragons, and an unbeatable inventory system. The wait continues...

TheTourist314
12-06-2011, 04:40 PM
Thanks! That's good advice. I've been irregularly playing and had a few missions expire. I admire its philosophy not to hold my hand but at the same time I get frustrated not being able to figure out how to do some things automatically.

TillEulenspiegel
12-06-2011, 04:49 PM
Yeah, I don't really want to go back and play UO. It was a wonderful first step, not the ideal. I want something like it, but better. Something like Horizons was originally supposed to be.

the viability of non-combat builds
I feel like if I tell modern gamers I spent a year on UO as a blacksmith/miner with minimal combat skills and loved it, they'd think I was crazy. Or very boring. But I got my skill up to GM, built a house near a mountain, rented out an NPC vendor in another player's shop just outside a city, and sold sets of top-quality armor engraved with my name.

It was fantastic. You had a real sense of existing in a virtual world, not merely playing a game.

an unbeatable inventory system
Amusingly, Darkfall copied the look of the UO inventory but managed to screw it up. For example, you could not put an item into a pouch by dragging the item over it, you had to open the pouch first.

Kelron
13-06-2011, 11:43 AM
I keep returning to Eve while feeling it's time I dropped it for good. Every time I resubscribe I fall in love with it again... for all of two weeks until the sameness starts to wear thin. I feel like I've done everything there is to do, I keep trying to recapture the early days when I didn't know how it all worked, when my imagination filled in the gaps before I knew the mechanics. I think the only way I'm going to get that again is if I leave it for a few years and see how many of CCP's crazy ambitions come to pass.

Batolemaeus
13-06-2011, 11:56 AM
I quit Eve essentially after Dominion sunk in and Eve went to shit more and more with every passing month. Doubt I'd ever come back with the state of the economy (broken), pvp balance (condensed into very few setups), nullsec (botting cartels and supercaps), w-space (abandoned), empire (lol).

Currently dabbling in some lesser known mmos, mostly wurm online which always leaves me flabberghasted that nobody took a short look at wurm, copied it, polished it, and ran off with megazillions in the bank. Why is nobody doing terrain shaping? Has nobody learned from minecraft?

Also, I have been in some mmos like Perpetuum (interesting, but didn't hold long term interest for me) and Fallen Earth (horrible engine limitations but I liked it).

Harlander
13-06-2011, 12:32 PM
The best times I've had on MMO-like games have been on roleplay-emphasising things - UO shards like Mytharria and Shadowcove, and story-emphasising NWN persistent-worlds like Haze and Realms of Talernon.

I played EVE for a bit, and enjoyed it until the corp I was decided to go and do stuff like set up space stations and whatnot.

Most MMOs seem to be Diku reskins these days, and after the initial shinycoolness wears off, the Black Malaise rears its head ("Hang on, this is like work, but I'm paying to do it")

Vexing Vision
13-06-2011, 12:59 PM
I like MMOs. They're a lot of content for the prize of a decent game, usually. (And of course, I... ehem.. need to keep an eye on the competition.. ahem...)

That said, I've been playing RIFT since launch, and it's nearing a satisfying, non-whining end. I explored and played to my heart's content, and I enjoyed it, but I think I'll be done soon with it.

Unfortunately, there's nothing out there in the near future. GW2 will be coming out eventually, but I don't think I'll play it for more than a month. TERA's combat system should be really exciting but is dreadfully boring kiting instead of dreadfully boring numberkey mashing. I'll check out Age of Conan once that goes free to play, but I'm STILL annoyed about how disappointing the beta was. (For MMOs, I'm a bit of a Warhammer-Dwarf - I carry long, long grudges apparently). DC Universe was brilliant fun, but I grew tired of the content during the closed beta.

I'll also definitely check out SWTOR. I'm actually looking more and more forward to it, the party dialogue system looks fantastic, but I doubt I'll pour more than a month's time into it either.

The one MMO I'm looking forward to is the Secret World, because I absolutely fucking love the setting, and what I see from the character skill customization sounds right up my alley too. That's a game I'll be subscribing for longer to, unless it turns out to be dreadful or run by incompetent technicians who figure that a weekend is the perfect time to make a downtime.

President Weasel
13-06-2011, 01:08 PM
For EVE, there's an RPS corp (RPS Holdings) and twin Eurogamer corps (one for more PVP and one for more PVEish things, get in touch with them on the Eurogamer.net in game channel). Any of those should be able to get you on your metaphorical space feet and get you into the meat of the game quickly.

Personally I think it's time to finally admit I've stopped playing EVE rather than considering myself as someone who has unsubscribed for a bit. The game feels old and stale and samey, and while I still think it's the best thing around in terms of players making a difference rather than just being rats in a maze, there's still nothing really new happening (and you're going to get hotdropped by bored mothership pilots at some point).

I'm currently "playing" Rift - if by "playing" you mean "has a subscription but hasn't logged in for weeks". It's a polished game, probably the cleanest MMO launch I have ever seen, even if their first server-wide event was rather buggy, but it's a bit easy mode, with absolutely no penalties for dying. I'm one of those who preferred WOW when it was a bit grindy, and when there were wierd counterintuitive quirky things you had to know in order to get the best from your character. I like my MMOs with a death penalty so I can go into a fight feeling like it matters if I win or not. I've got friends (some of my old WOW crowd who I'm also RL friends with) playing Rift so I can't bring myself to unsubscribe, but I also can't bring myself to log in when there are other games I am enjoying more.

The EVE community has the word "bittervet" for people who no longer love the game but can't quite leave; I think I'm a meta-bittervet in that I keep trying MMOs but can't overlook the flaws any more, like a drug addict who can never replicate that first perfect high.

edit: I agree with pretty much everything in the four posts above this, but I have very little interest in SWTOR.

Sceptrum
13-06-2011, 02:03 PM
Played WoW mostly, was the first real MMO I got into. Stayed until February this year, when Cataclysm which actually was fun at first, suddenly became boring. Have stayed in WoW mostly because of friends. Tried most other MMOs but never got into them (EVE, Rift) or they were major disappointments (Age of Conan & Warhammer Online).

I'm interested in seeing how Guild Wars 2 and Planetside 2 will turn out. I will buy Star Wars: Old Republic, but mostly for the solo content, although I'm not expecting miracles with Bioware's recent history and seeing latest videos and news.
And while not on PC, I'm going to try Dust 514 too, although found it a bit immersion-breaking that a piece of infantry armour seem to cost the same as a frigate and that outfitting a infantry squad will cost as much as outfitting a spaceship.

Jockie
13-06-2011, 03:02 PM
I think the best hope for SW: TOR is that it plays like a co-op version of Kotor, and you can ignore the tacked on MMO features (ie, the pvp sounds like a poorly realised afterthought). If you can find a solid group of 4 to go through all of the content, I think there could be a good time there (or maybe I'm clutching at straws).

I played Rift shortly after launch and although polished, with a couple of clever features, it was still essentially the same as every other MMO on the market. If you really like MMO's then you'll probably enjoy it, if like me you're waiting for an mmo to break the mold and actually be 'fun' on a moment-to-moment basis, Rift isn't the one.

I really hope GW2 can kick start the genre into life and bring about a next-gen of mmo's that don't conform so closely to the wow template. Either that or a more indie MMO can come along and strike the right balance between free-form and hard-core - by which I mean, doesn't have one of those entry-level barriers that say "You must spend 1000 hours cutting trees before you are allowed to have fun"

Ezhar
14-06-2011, 01:00 AM
Anyone tried Perpetuum?

I just did. Only an hour in, mind you, but holy crap, did CCP sue them yet? Are the two somehow related? What the hell is going on here? I've played EVE before and Perpetuum seemed like a complete clone, only with planetbound robots instead of spaceships (and a minor improvement with skill points pooling, which EVE should appropriate right back, in my opinion).

The robot setting (and navigating through obstacles instead of flying straight there) does not appeal to me as much as being in spaaaaaaaaace though. New MMOs do appeal to me though, I very much like being one of the "first settlers" in a new world. Perpetuum made me want to play EVE again, if EVE was freshly starting and not all established and due to the time-based skillpoint system everyone else being 5 years ahead of me with no chance of ever catching up.

Also, it made me wonder if Perpetuum isn't more like the sort of game that EVE players had hoped for with Dust 514. You know, EVE on the ground. Instead of some weird console thingy.

DigitalSignalX
14-06-2011, 10:20 PM
I'm playing a private server version of AION called Infinite Aion. It's F2P but you can donate for some cosmetic perks and a few non-balance related items like wings or pets. They've got it synchronized up to the latest retail release (2.5). Everything looks and plays the same with a few subtle differences like death penalties, stat caps, and instance scripting. Also about 25% of the quests are not functional. That still leaves a glut of quests left that allow the player to reach level cap though without ever being at a loss. They offer two servers : one with a higher xp/drop rate for the impatient, and then a second 'normal' retail experience.

It's my first experience with a private server and I have to say I'm impressed. They do quest bug updates about every week or two and post them in forums. Any guilt I have over not paying NCSoft has been mitigated entirely by what was essentially the worst customer service experience I have ever been through in my life after many years of playing L2, Guild Wars, and Aion retail. They'll never see another penny from me, so no GW2 :/

Davee
18-06-2011, 03:53 PM
Hmm. This is not the appropriate thread to paste my comment I did earlier on RPS about sandbox MMOs on the rise. I will continue looking or create a new one if necessary, but I'll make sure to post a link to it here!

EDIT: Here it is! http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?474-Sandbox-MMOs-the-future

Squiz
18-06-2011, 04:18 PM
Anyone tried Perpetuum?

No. Did you, Jim? I haven't read anything about that (maybe I should check the frontpage for bits of information?). The only "MMO" I have played is Guild Wars. I don't know how many hours I sank into it, but it had to be lots. Now I am not that interested in the new stuff ANet producing for that game, but I will definitely play GW2 when it hits the stores, but maybe more like a multiplayer story driven RPG, not so much as the neverending collecting, looting and trading simulator the first game has become for me in the past.

Mac
19-06-2011, 09:15 AM
I suspect my time with MMOs is over, but I am still hoping something will come up...

You know, I feel exactly the same ... having started playing MMO's with Ultima Online, and then 3 years or so with Everquest I have realised that nothing will ever live up to those early years when everything was so fresh and new.

Rift is technically competent, but it is just WoW ver 1.1, and WoW is just Everquest ver 1.1 with cartoon graphics. Add to this the likes of Age of Conan, Everquest 2, Warhammer Online who all deliver a few tweaks on the basic mechanics, but I have the distinct feeling that I have been there and played the same game many times. I appreciate that there are games like Eve, which bring something completely new, but after multiple times of trying to get into it I just canít Ė it just isnít my bag.

The last great MMO for me was Dark Age of Camelot, which introduced me to a fantastic RVR system, which has never been bettered.

In fairness, I am having the same feeling with most single player games these days too. Just look at the coming soon lists, and it is easy to see why Ė everything of note is a sequel. Even original IP is often developed using the same engine as 1001 other games, hence it plays very similar to 1001 other games. The only differentiating factor between games is the textures...

Given the amount of money it now costs to develop a game, I can understand why publishers and developers are playing it safe, but the lack of innovation is likely to turn more people away in the long term.

Rossignol
19-06-2011, 07:14 PM
I'm playing a private server version of AION called Infinite Aion.

Those things seem pretty dubious to me. Private = pirate, surely?

luckystriker
08-07-2011, 05:39 AM
Anyone here still playing Rift or can point me towards some useful guides/info/whatever? I just picked it up for $9.99 on the steam sale. I though my time with MMOs was over as well, but somehow my fingers did the walking by themselves and voila I find myself with a new MMO to fool around with. Knowing how obsessive I can get with games this could have been a very stupid decision on my part.

Vexing Vision
08-07-2011, 10:26 AM
Currently on a break from Rift (which I enjoyed a lot), but here's a bit of advice:

a) Don't build hybrids until you hit level 40. Pick one soul and put a point into it every level you get (you'll have some spare points to put into other souls).
b) Build what feels cool. (Note: Most cleric characters do not feel cool.) You can switch builds any time, so don't bother minmaxing until you hit maxlevel.
c) Simultaneously level up two builds. (You get your second role very fast.) One build should always be a pure DPS, the other should be: (warriors: tanks, rogues: tanks or support, clerics: healer, mages: healer). If you level both builds up simultaneous (play one build to 15 where you collect all other souls, switch and play to 20, switch again and play to 25, etc) will mean you don't get overwhelmed by suddenly having 35 new abilities.
d) Don't be intimidated. Explore. Experiment. You will never lock yourself down, you can always optimize.

Enjoy!

luckystriker
08-07-2011, 10:33 AM
Currently on a break from Rift (which I enjoyed a lot), but here's a bit of advice:

a) Don't build hybrids until you hit level 40. Pick one soul and put a point into it every level you get (you'll have some spare points to put into other souls).
b) Build what feels cool. (Note: Most cleric characters do not feel cool.) You can switch builds any time, so don't bother minmaxing until you hit maxlevel.
c) Simultaneously level up two builds. (You get your second role very fast.) One build should always be a pure DPS, the other should be: (warriors: tanks, rogues: tanks or support, clerics: healer, mages: healer). If you level both builds up simultaneous (play one build to 15 where you collect all other souls, switch and play to 20, switch again and play to 25, etc) will mean you don't get overwhelmed by suddenly having 35 new abilities.
d) Don't be intimidated. Explore. Experiment. You will never lock yourself down, you can always optimize.

Enjoy!
Thank you! I don't quite know what it all means yet, but it sounds pro :)

Vexing Vision
08-07-2011, 11:09 AM
You'll know by level 20, which should take you as a first-timer around 2 to 3 weeks. ;)

Dominic Tarason
08-07-2011, 12:00 PM
Today, Star Trek Online is getting a major update, which includes a total rework of the ground-level gameplay. It's no longer a standard MMO hotbar game, but more along the lines of Mass Effect Lite. There's a video and some text showing off the new combat engine here:

http://www.startrekonline.com/shooter_mode

The shocking thing is that, unlike Star Wars Galaxies, which tried something similar, this actually works. It's fun to kill a basic enemy with just two phaser shots, or lob grenades over cover at dudes. Also, phaser miniguns and shotguns - reminds me of Elite Force 2 more than a little.

It's probably worth a look now. You can get a retail key for about £2-3 off Amazon these days. Cryptic, for all their flaws, really have been pretty dedicated to making this a better game over the past year.

Next big update, estimated for about a month from now, is the Duty Officers system. You recruit assorted NPCs around the universe, assign them to various stations in your ship for stat bonuses, or send them off on 'off-screen' missions where they can either bring in rewards and gain experience, or maybe just die in the process. Reminds me of the minions from Evil Genius.

winterwolves
10-07-2011, 09:38 PM
I resumed playing EQ2 after almost 5 years for... "research purposes" (I'm an indie dev). I am playing the free-to-play edition and it's fun, I never played WoW so cannot compare it though. I can see why the F2P model works, I was tempted to get the gold subscription to avoid all the limitations of the free version...

Vexing Vision
11-07-2011, 09:30 AM
I've recently started playing DDO again. It's been my first subscription-based love.

Oh, I played a bit of UO and Asheron's Call and even some Everquest 2, but I usually grow bored with MMOs very quickly (WoW lasted a full week with me). Until DDO opened it's doors, I haven't spent more than three consecutive months in any subscription-based MMO, though there's a few free ones that hold a dear spot in my heart. Rift, which I enjoyed a lot, had a lifetime of three months, but I don't feel like returning there anytime soon.

Knowing where I'm coming from, I was surprised myself to find I was subscribed to DDO for three consecutive years before taking a break.

I dabbled briefly with it when it went Free-To-Play, but stopped when Turbine exiled our EU characters to a different plane than we chose, so disappointed with the whole transfer stuff, I took another break.

And now I'm semi-back. Not very often, not very long, but this weekend I played a lot with the wife and a good friend, and I have to say that DDO's mechanics remain the best and most fun in any MMO out there.

- You can build whatever character you want. A dexterity-based dualwielding fighter? Check. A paladin that's a demon-slaying killing-machine? Check. A rogue that creates mechanical constructions and can disable golems? Check. Just because you're a specific class doesn't mean you don't have a lot of freedom to develop. Or to gimp your characters beyond belief.

- Traps! Real traps. Rogues are not (only, if specced for it) damage deals but are actually there to unlock doors and disable that fun spinning blade that's between you, your barbarian's head and the treasure chest.

- Diablo-esque loot. Random pre- and suffixes plus other attributes make for a fun and rewarding loot system.

- It's NOT hitpoint-trading! A good group, a good tank doesn't need a healer, because they're skilled at damage avoidance. Flanking, dodging, tumbling, active blocking and kiting all make for very rewarding gameplay.

- Limited resources. Managing spellpoints and hitpoints is fun, because they matter.

- No silly "I can't reach the player, so the player shouldn't be able to damage me"-behaviour when you climb up cliffs and shoot down on enemies.

Personally, I am looking forward to City of Heroes becoming Free-to-Play bcause I have a thing for capes and knocking people off buildings. But I'll always return to DDO.

(Also, if anyone's looking for a small, no-drama, heavy-roleplaying, GMT-active guild on Ghallanda, let me know.)

studenteternal
11-07-2011, 10:14 AM
Fading out of an EVE stage at the moment, I haven't logged in for a 2 weeks, and will probably cancel soon. however I am keeping an eye on the secret world and Dark Millennium Online, which I want to be good, please be good! (also I want Imperial Guard 'characters' to be a squad of 6-10 dudes to to be balanced with Space marines, chaos marines, et al. :)

Vexing Vision
11-07-2011, 10:16 AM
Fading out of an EVE stage at the moment, I haven't logged in for a 2 weeks, and will probably cancel soon. however I am keeping an eye on the secret world and Dark Millennium Online, which I want to be good, please be good! (also I want Imperial Guard 'characters' to be a squad of 6-10 dudes to to be balanced with Space marines, chaos marines, et al. :)

Well, the Imperial guys could come with a customizable Entourage. Kind of like a Summoner-class.

Mhmm. I like that idea.

winterwolves
11-07-2011, 01:11 PM
That DDO sounds interesting. I actually forgot it went F2P too, so I think might give it a try shortly :)

CuriousOrange
11-07-2011, 06:29 PM
I find it a bit odd that some people enjoy one MMO and not another. At least in the case of enjoying say Rift and not WoW, I've tried them both and they are nigh on identical games with a different theme.

I'm just looking for an mmo that is different. By which I mean one with no hotbars, no action slots or whatever, and next to no stats. I'm hoping Planetside 2 can fill that urge.

DigitalSignalX
16-08-2011, 04:32 AM
I'm thinking of trying the new F2P Conan launch with the "unchained" (?) expansion. Anyone else who has tried it can offer some advice/tips?

Nalano
16-08-2011, 04:48 AM
Quit Rift a couple months ago. Realized what I learned of all MMOs: The forum's more fun than the game.

KauhuK
16-08-2011, 09:08 AM
Waiting for GW2. Also I'm somewhat interested in Secret World. I have played WoW for a month few years ago. Then I played Aion for 6 months. I have also played EVE for 2 months but as interesting as it is its not for me. At the moment I dont play MMOs but I do login to Guild Wars once in a while.

BenWah
16-08-2011, 09:14 AM
I got really heavy into Lotro, then quit cold turkey. I think I'm done with MMOs perhaps for good.

Snargelfargen
17-08-2011, 06:15 PM
I'm waiting impatiently for The Secret World, and perhaps will try GW2 or TOR if they come out earlier.

I played WoW at release and absolutely loved the solo exploration and open-world pvp. Grinding can be a lot more fun when pk'ers are around the corner, and catching a superior force off-guard and winning is pretty awesome. Unfortunately its been many years since I played, and getting back into it seems like way too much work.
I don't suppose there are any other mmo's that have similiar gameplay?

squareking
17-08-2011, 07:43 PM
Never been drawn to the MMO formula -- I much prefer a SP experience or playing through what can be a SP experience with chums, a la Diablo 2. I've tried EVE twice, some generic Korean f2p for about a month, World of Tanks for a while...and I think that's it. WoT is truly fun and I could pop in every so often, but I have other, bigger things on my plate at the moment.

I find myself being drawn to Guild Wars for some reason. Might need to try it out sometime. Oh, and while not technically an MMO, Path of Exile looks/sounds incredible.

Mohorovicic
18-08-2011, 07:11 AM
Never been drawn to the MMO formula -- I much prefer a SP experience or playing through what can be a SP experience with chums, a la Diablo 2.

Nothing stops you from playing a MMO on your own.

Doesn'tmeananything
18-08-2011, 07:57 AM
Nothing stops you from playing a MMO on your own.

Yeah, like tedium is an obstacle.

Mohorovicic
18-08-2011, 09:27 AM
Do I really have to tell you not to play boring games?

Screwie
18-08-2011, 10:29 AM
Never been drawn to the MMO formula -- I much prefer a SP experience or playing through what can be a SP experience with chums, a la Diablo 2.

Then you may well enjoy Guild Wars (1) for that reason. I too prefer games like that to the traditional "open world" MMO. The MMOs I've stuck longest with are Guild Wars, City of Heroes and Dungeons and Dragons Online, all of which use a lot of instancing for their quests/missions. As DDO is free and CoH soon will be, you might like to give them a shot too.

Parsifal
21-08-2011, 02:27 PM
Fallen Earth was a breath of fresh air (or fetid post apocalyptic air if you prefer) and was enjoyable for a few months, but now that it has been sold to another company, I'm not sure the level of quality will be maintained.

Doesn'tmeananything
21-08-2011, 02:33 PM
Do I really have to tell you not to play boring games?

According to your previous recommendation, you're simply unable to do that in any case.

Hensler
21-08-2011, 05:18 PM
Are there any other good sandbox style MMO's along the lines of Eve, Perpetuum, and Pirates? It used to be that Everquest and Ultima Online were the two big MMO's, but the genre went down the Everquest path and mostly forgot about the sandbox things Ultima tried to introduce. I'm going to try out Star Wars Galaxies before it closes - what else is out there?

Sweedums
21-08-2011, 05:25 PM
I was at one point looking forward to the old republic, but now it just looks very average. Guild wars 2 is pretty much the only MMO that comes to mind when I think of one I want to play, and possibly the Isengard expansion for LOTRO... just cos

Batolemaeus
21-08-2011, 05:34 PM
Are there any other good sandbox style MMO's along the lines of Eve, Perpetuum, and Pirates? It used to be that Everquest and Ultima Online were the two big MMO's, but the genre went down the Everquest path and mostly forgot about the sandbox things Ultima tried to introduce. I'm going to try out Star Wars Galaxies before it closes - what else is out there?

I have no Idea what happened to Vanguard, but I liked that one.
There's Ryzom, which is lacking in content, but has some really interesting mechanics. I'd play it just to see some really interesting harvesting/crafting.
Wurm Online still has its niche. It's horribly grindy, but at least offers something in return, which is full terraforming just for the sake of it. Exploring the world in a sail boat is an experience I'd recommend everyone to try at least once, just to capture some of the stuff people built. It's also outstanding for having ruins of player made cities. Exploring once great cities in varying states of disrepair is a very weird experience and wakes an odd fascination in me.

Apart from that..Darkfall? I did not follow that game at all though.

JohnnyMaverik
21-08-2011, 05:43 PM
I hate MMO's, partly because of subscription fee's that I refuse to pay and partly because of the general monotony and pointlessness of their general design.

Guild Wars 2 looks interesting though, only one there's a chance in hell I'll give a proper go.