PDA

View Full Version : Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes

Doctor_Hellsturm
12-06-2011, 02:32 AM
Hello all.
Just came back from a friend and had a jolly good time playing Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes on XBLA. Does anyone know if this is coming to pc or if there is anything similar out there?

vinraith
12-06-2011, 02:42 AM
I've got it on Nintendo DS and enjoy the hell out of it, though it gets quite tough quite quickly. I've not heard anything about plans to bring it to PC, though. I'm not aware of anything too similar, either (outside of something as faintly related as the Puzzlequest series of Gyromancer, anyway, which isn't really the same thing) but would be interested if such a thing existed.

Doctor_Hellsturm
12-06-2011, 02:49 AM
It really amazed me that something so simple could be so addictive (i usually play Paradox games for my startegy leisure). Well, guess i'll just have to cross my fingers for a FTP online version or something tainted like that.

Wizardry
12-06-2011, 02:53 AM
No. This is not Might and Magic.

pakoito
12-06-2011, 02:54 AM
I absolutely loved the game, until I won every single skirmish with any race on hard. The story mode has no real grip and boss battles are just too gimmicky :( Had the game a broader roster or more PvP development it would have been a long-time keeper. I hope someone remakes the engine as opensource indie.

And I swear to god I heard recently that it was coming to PC, but I just can't find a source.

Don't be so strict, the game is fun even though the prostitution of M&M saga.

vinraith
I have to say, as a "hardcore" strategy and RPG type I've been really surprised/impressed by some of the offerings on the DS, and somewhat distressed that none of these (to my thinking very PC-friendly) titles never seem to drift over to the great open box. In addition to Clash of Heroes I'd love to see Dark Spire and the Etrian Odyssey games (all very much Wizardry-type dungeon crawlers), some of Nippon Ichi's stuff (better represented on PS2/3 than DS, but it's Disgaea that made me think of it) and any number of other similar things.

And mind you, I say all that as someone that greatly dislikes anime. Still, if the gameplay is solid enough, I can get past it.

Wizardry
Now if someone makes a thread for some new Ultima spin off I can make it three in a row (see the Wizardry Online thread if you don't know what I'm talking about).

arathain
12-06-2011, 03:03 AM
The closest and best thing we have to the utterly wonderful M&M:CoH is the original Puzzle Quest, which is at least as charming and excellent, and a deeper game to boot. It has a number of assorted sequels, none of which are even close to as good as the first one.

vinraith
12-06-2011, 03:04 AM
Don't be so strict, the game is fun even though the prostitution of M&M saga.

Indeed. It's a puzzle game based on the more recent Heroes of Might and Magic games, and it's fun, so I just don't see the problem. It hasn't replaced HOMM proper (we're getting a 6th entry soon) so there's no issue here.

pakoito
12-06-2011, 03:05 AM
Trivia: do you know that the gameplay mechanics are an evolved version of older Capybara's game Critter Crunch? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTmf6B0xoQg

The game was a hit when it came out for old Java for cellphones and swept several GOTY awards, so the Capy guys got hired by Ubi to make this game portable but enjoyable.

deano2099
12-06-2011, 03:10 AM

I checked up on this, and believe it or not, it turns out that this is Might and Magic, and that all the previous games in the Might and Magic series are not actually Might and Magic! Who'd have thought it!

Doctor_Hellsturm
12-06-2011, 03:11 AM
I'll give puzzle quest a go...but i really hope that pakoito is right.

pakoito
12-06-2011, 03:15 AM
How much time will it take to reengineer this in Gamemaker using placeholder graphics? I guess not much.

icupnimpn2
12-06-2011, 04:03 AM
I'll give puzzle quest a go...but i really hope that pakoito is right.

Puzzle Quest is not much like M&M:CoH, but is a good diversion. It feels very samey after a while. There is some fun in picking the right combination of items and spells, but I don't find the actual gameplay as tactical or clever as M&M:CoH.

pakoito
12-06-2011, 04:34 AM
Puzzle Quest is not much like M&M:CoH, but is a good diversion. It feels very samey after a while. There is some fun in picking the right combination of items and spells, but I don't find the actual gameplay as tactical or clever as M&M:CoH.
Puzzle Quest for me was basically building and using the imbalanced Mage combo twice to kill any enemy. I don't remember the exact combination but it was more or less:

* Bow that made any +3 dmg get extra +X, where X was your level /3 or something like that.
* Spell that made all +1 skulls into +3
* The spell that destroyed 3x3 tiles, choose 3+ skulls -> BOOM!

cowthief skank
12-06-2011, 08:59 AM
Now if someone makes a thread for some new Ultima spin off I can make it three in a row (see the Wizardry Online thread if you don't know what I'm talking about).

I assume you are already aware but... http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/04/06/my-lord-lord-of-ultima-launched/

Honestly, shit like this just proves to me that the whole system of copyright that we have is just crap. Rights should remain with the pepople who actually created. Not the beancounters.

Doctor_Hellsturm
13-06-2011, 11:22 PM
Problem sovled: DS emulator

icupnimpn2
14-06-2011, 12:05 AM
Well yeah, if you wanna go that route. But it would be excellent to have the revamped, HD version on pc.

pakoito
14-06-2011, 02:32 AM
Problem sovled: DS emulator

It doesn't work that well on netbooks. I cannot play Super Scribblenauts at stable 30fps :(

Well yeah, if you wanna go that route. But it would be excellent to have the revamped, HD version on pc.

How about a moddable engine of the game where you can add as many different factions, units and items as you want.

icupnimpn2
14-06-2011, 07:22 AM
How about a moddable engine of the game where you can add as many different factions, units and items as you want.

Sure, why not? I'll take a sentient tree friend while you're wish-fulfilling.

MD!
14-06-2011, 08:08 AM
I want the zone to disappear.

Mohorovicic
14-06-2011, 08:29 AM
Why is this in PC Gaming section?

8-bit
14-06-2011, 11:08 AM
because he was wondering if the game was coming to PC?

oh, lets talk about games that should make the jump to PC land where they will sell lots more than they would on the xbox, like sequence, that game looks cool.

pakoito
14-06-2011, 07:55 PM
Sure, why not? I'll take a sentient tree friend while you're wish-fulfilling.
Well it takes time and people but it's feasible :p

Veracity
14-06-2011, 09:49 PM
@vinraith: HoMaM isn't Might and Magic, either. But leave Wizardry alone. There's no video games he likes any more and he's apparently played all of them, which'd wear anyone down, so he has to amuse himself informing anyone who likes action-RPGs and other new-fangled abominations how wrong they are.

@8-bit: I dunno, Pixeljunk whatsit? The remaining Bit.Trips?

This is strange and annoying - I could've sworn I saw this announced as bound for PC, too, but google has nothing beyond a couple of probably spurious retail pre-orders. I suppose I could just get the DS version, but I really don't like portables. How's desmume these days?

Wizardry
14-06-2011, 10:31 PM
Actually, Heroes of Might and Magic is related to Might and Magic.

Heliocentric
14-06-2011, 11:30 PM
Played it on DS which is in my mind the platform which platform best supports all of PC gaming short comings without forcing you to steer angry men about with analogue sticks. While it sounded like i was having a fight with a DVD box when i played ninja gaiden dragon sword at no point did I get cramp in my hand from trying to perform quarter circles on an analogue.

Between Infinite space (nice idea terrible implementation of combat) and clash of heroes I had 2 great and interesting experiences. Sure, its dumb as hell the AI is no deep blue, but over smart AI would have just been frustrating in a game with such limited options. Advance wars AI veers a little too smart for its own good sometimes.

This shouldn't be in the pc gaming boards though.

icupnimpn2
14-06-2011, 11:41 PM
This shouldn't be in the pc gaming boards though.

OK everybody. Let's transfer this thread out of the pc boards. We're each going to have to re-post everything we've said in the exact order it has appeared here. This will require some care and coordination. There's no way to get the dates right, but we can make sure to re-post our comments in the correct chronological order relative to the original amount of time between posts.

So to get started Doctor_Hellsturm will need to recreate the start of the thread in the Other Stuff boards. Then vinraith will need to come in and re-post his first comment 10 minutes later. Got it? Go go go!

Heliocentric
14-06-2011, 11:46 PM
or... a mod could move it, crazy idea I know.

deano2099
15-06-2011, 12:03 AM
Well there is no "console gaming forum" and honestly threads like this fit far better in here than in the "Other stuff" forum.

Given we're not being deluged in threads in here now things have calmed down, I don't really see the need for any forced separation of console and PC games. The nature of the site is that most of the discussion will be PC related anyway.

And a console exclusive spin-off of a long standing PC series is something that fits in to PC Gaming Discussion regardless if you ask me.

I see no good reason not to have this discussion here outside of pedantry.

Miker
21-09-2011, 09:44 PM
OLD THREAD NECROMANCY GO!

Clash of Heroes comes out tomorrow, and I'm a bit saddened to see that RPS hasn't mentioned it since the initial announcement of it coming to PC. My girlfriend swears by the DS version, and I'm happy to see it coming to PC with even more features than the high-res XBLA/PSN ports. I haven't seen it crack the top 20 sellers on Steam even once, though, so I'm a bit worried about how it might fare in terms of sales.

I've got my copy pre-ordered from GetGamesGo for $12, and I think other RPS folk should check it out, as it's a rather PC game, despite the anime trimmings.

pakoito
21-09-2011, 11:37 PM
My advice is that playing multiplayer use the "no artifacts" setting. Necroteam (Zombies/Skellies, Vampire, Reaper) with Spider Cloack is unbeatable 11 out of 10 matches.

Lusketrollet
22-09-2011, 06:33 PM
Let me share with you a wonderful experience I just had playing the fucking PC demo.

I'm at what I presume to be the final boss of the demo - a generic, Succubus-style demon lady - and I figure I'll take this opportunity to finally make use of those elite deer-things. I've never had a chance to use them, yet, and so I figure I'll just see what they do.

So I line them up with a whole bunch of "Core" units, and wait for the painfully slow "charge"-period or whatever the hell you want to call it to count down. After about a zillion turns, they finally get their useless asses in gear, jump the wall, take out a dude, and do a fairly "meh" amount of damage to the enemy Health. By this time, I have taken an insane amount of punishment, and decide it's time to stop playing around with units, and actually play the game for real. So I quit, go to the main menu, and then...

There is no "Load Game"-option.

You cannot load the game.

Are you fucking shitting me?! There is no option to load the game after you've quit. None. You can save the game, sure, but you can't actually load it, afterwards. I'm sure this isn't a feature of the full game, (I choose to assume they're not expecting you to finish the whole several-hour game in one sitting.), but the fact that this is the case with the demo alone is still absolutely fucking unacceptable. I quit the game during the final boss-fight, and now have to go trough the entire cuntfucking game again in order to get back to where I was. And then really, really hope I don't end up losing.

I know there's a button that says "Retreat", but I've no idea what it does. Presumably, you get to start over again, but they've taken a bunch of Gold or Mana or whatever-the-fuck from you as a "punishment", or some such idiocy. Not making things easier, is the fact that I just hate the thought of pushing a button that says "Retreat". It's just something so endlessly castrating about it. It feels like surrender. Like I've admitted defeat. Much better to click a much more pleasant button that says "Quit Game", and pretend this never happened.

So... yeah. You're warned.

Miker
22-09-2011, 06:46 PM
Let me share with you a wonderful experience I just had playing the fucking PC demo.

I'm at what I presume to be the final boss of the demo - a generic, Succubus-style demon lady - and I figure I'll take this opportunity to finally make use of those elite deer-things. I've never had a chance to use them, yet, and so I figure I'll just see what they do.

So I line them up with a whole bunch of "Core" units, and wait for the painfully slow "charge"-period or whatever the hell you want to call it to count down. After about a zillion turns, they finally get their useless asses in gear, jump the wall, take out a dude, and do a fairly "meh" amount of damage to the enemy Health. By this time, I have taken an insane amount of punishment, and decide it's time to stop playing around with units, and actually play the game for real. So I quit, go to the main menu, and then...

You cannot load the game.

Are you fucking shitting me?! There is no option to load the game after you've quit. None. You can save the game, sure, but you can't actually load it, afterwards. I'm sure this isn't a feature of the full game, (I choose to assume they're not expecting you to finish the whole several-hour game in one sitting.), but the fact that this is the case with the demo alone is still absolutely fucking unacceptable. I quit the game during the final boss-fight, and now have to go trough the entire cuntfucking game again in order to get back to where I was. And then really, really hope I don't end up losing.

I know there's a button that says "Retreat", but I've no idea what it does. Presumably, you get to start over again, but they've taken a bunch of Gold or Mana or whatever-the-fuck from you as a "punishment", or some such idiocy. Not making things easier, is the fact that I just hate the thought of pushing a button that says "Retreat". It's just something so endlessly castrating about it. It feels like surrender. Like I've admitted defeat. Much better to click a much more pleasant button that says "Quit Game", and pretend this never happened.

So... yeah. You're warned.

The demo is a limited version of the full game, and they probably intentionally left out Load option because they thought people would finish it in one sitting. Conversely, they probably unintentionally left in the Save option because it's the code from the full game. Yes, it's unfortunate that you can't load from the demo, but was it worth writing such an angry post? If you don't mind my saying, it sounds like you had made up your mind about the game prior to discovering that you couldn't load.

I played the PC demo last night, and I thought it was fairly slick. The mouse/keyboard controls are fine, it defaults to my monitor's native resolution, it has a hotseat mode that works beautifully, and support for the 360 controller if you want it. It's also very light on the resources, running pleasantly on my girlfriend's core i3/intel HD laptop. I haven't tried it out myself, but it also has 2v2 fights and online multiplayer through Steamworks. Plus, given the length of the campaign, I'd say it's well worth the asking price.

Besides, I think the demo is pretty generous. It not only gives you a taste of the single player, but it also lets you play hot seat with a friend. Really, Capybara has made an excellent PC port.

Lusketrollet
22-09-2011, 07:00 PM
If you don't mind my saying, it sounds like you had made up your mind about the game prior to discovering that you couldn't load.

...Wow. You don't think that was a bit of a stretch at all, do you?

I played the PC demo last night, and I thought it was fairly slick. The mouse/keyboard controls are fine, it defaults to my monitor's native resolution, it has a hotseat mode that works beautifully, and support for the 360 controller if you want it. It's also very light on the resources, running pleasantly on my girlfriend's core i3/intel HD laptop. I haven't tried it out myself, but it also has 2v2 fights and online multiplayer through Steamworks. Plus, given the length of the campaign, I'd say it's well worth the asking price.

Besides, I think the demo is pretty generous. It not only gives you a taste of the single player, but it also lets you play hot seat with a friend. Really, Capybara has made an excellent PC port.

And after all this, it didn't occur to them to add a bloody "Load"-button.

Miker
22-09-2011, 07:04 PM
You can think what you want. I'd just to present a different point so that other RPS folk won't be scared away from what I think is a pretty great game.

Lusketrollet
22-09-2011, 07:06 PM
You can think what you want. I'd just to present a different point so that other RPS folk won't be scared away from what I think is a pretty great game.

That's awfully considerate of you.

Matzerath
22-09-2011, 08:54 PM
It's nice to see people that pull no punches when they review game demos. Just because it's a miniscule portion of the full game, a courtesy sampler if you will, is no reason for them to get a fucking free pass with their short play-time and lack of features.
FUCK!!!

endintears
22-09-2011, 08:59 PM
That's awfully considerate of you.

I found it a lot more helpful (and comprehensible) than your review

ComradePenguin
22-09-2011, 09:24 PM
Might they not have let you save so you can keep your progress when you buy the full game?

Tried the demo on PS3 and was impressed. Will be picking it up shortly.

Miker
23-09-2011, 06:12 AM
Played several lengthy hotseat games with my girlfriend, who's beaten the entire campaign on the DS version. Here are my impressions:

Pros:
-- Absolutely gorgeous artwork and animations
-- Each army is fairly unique due to different elite/champion units that have bonus effects when equipped or attacking
-- A fantastically clever mix of color-based matching and tactical structuring that hasn't been done anywhere else at all. It's not like Puzzle Quest in which they took a puzzle game and put an RPG framework around it, it's very much a whole new beast.
-- Creating chain reactions in this game is incredibly satisfying. Probably more so than "pure" puzzle games because you only have so many moves on each turn.
-- Hotseat mode is awesome

Cons:
-- Sometimes matches can be decided based on luck, such as reinforcements and hero spells
-- It seems that the elite/champ units do too much damage, and the standard units do too little. As a result, matches sometimes boil down to defending against your enemy's uber-unit about to tear down your walls while keeping your own champ unit alive
-- Balance feels a bit lopsided at times in that some units and spells don't seem viable, but I really haven't played enough to offer a serious opinion

pakoito
23-09-2011, 10:45 AM
@miker Necroteam (Zombies/Skellies, Vampire, Reaper) with Spider Cloack. Never lose again, no matter the initial draft. Just get a vampire loaded in turn 1 and try to buff him in the next (2nd vampire, link chains...) then wait for the reaper to finish it. If the enemy loads anything that may kill you, just load one/two of your units right in front of it, you'll win every time.

Lusketrollet
30-09-2011, 04:04 PM
I found it a lot more helpful (and comprehensible) than your review

It wasn't a fucking review.

endintears
30-09-2011, 06:31 PM
It wasn't a fucking review.

I think you're a few curse words shy of your quota there

cowthief skank
30-09-2011, 06:37 PM
Is this the game that Notch got sued for making?