PDA

View Full Version : Doom 4 screenshots

SirKicksalot
28-02-2012, 06:37 PM
These were posted on some Asian site in January. They found them on someone's portofolio, apparently. Someone discovered them today and proceeded to troll /v/ claiming Doom 4 was canceled. Bethesda denied the game is cancelled.

You can find the images here. (http://game.playwares.com/xe/?document_srl=21660775)

Pro-tip: game isn't finished, pics aren't marketing shots. I suppose they're from one of the environment artists.
Some of them are extremely atmospheric and remind me of Metro 2033.
Hover the cursor over them and you'll get the original filename which might hint a thing or two (like the NY location lol). All are screenshots, although some look like concept art.

pakoito
28-02-2012, 06:51 PM
It's good they're not bullshots.

sabrage
28-02-2012, 06:51 PM
I saw a Joystiq article about this on my RSS feed, but when I clicked it it redirected to the main site.

Anyways, those pictures could be from literally any game.

DaftPunk
28-02-2012, 06:52 PM
This doesn't look anything like DOOM for me :D

Otherwise there were some 3d pics few months ago,for doom characters.

frenz0rz
28-02-2012, 07:10 PM
Could be a sequel to Doom 2: Hell on Earth?

That was after all set on Earth - you just couldnt really tell due to the graphics.

Edit: The shot named "before-hellwave" and the ones showing what can only be described as a Hell Wave might confirm this hypothesis.

SirKicksalot
28-02-2012, 07:27 PM
Yes, it's Hell on Earth. A February 2009 interview with a mo-cap actor revealed it's set on Earth, involves military squads and civilians.

pakoito
28-02-2012, 07:52 PM
Yes, it's Hell on Earth. A February 2009 interview with a mo-cap actor revealed it's set on Earth, involves military squads and civilians.
And a nuke.

DaftPunk
28-02-2012, 08:21 PM

Care to provide source ?

SirKicksalot
28-02-2012, 08:34 PM
The interview was taken down quickly but you can find some copypasta.
Here's one that I found and also includes some pictures from the mo-cap sessions. (http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Nhb6Ob8iuH8J:www.amio.cn/forum/showthread.php%3Fp%3D17759+doom+4+mo-cap+interview&cd=2&hl=ro&ct=clnk&gl=ro)

DaftPunk
28-02-2012, 10:15 PM
Thanks for link. Any info on release date ??

Vandelay
28-02-2012, 10:28 PM
Makes sense. Doom 3 was a remake of Doom 1, so Doom 4 is likely to be remake of Doom 2.

Doesn't look particularly interesting so far, in that it just looks like any other post-apocalyptic game. I didn't hate Doom 3, but I hope this goes back to the original's hordes of enemies style.

Nalano
28-02-2012, 10:37 PM
Man, nobody has any respect for the NYPL.

SirKicksalot
28-02-2012, 11:03 PM
I hope this goes back to the original's hordes of enemies style.

The Blue Line Station level in Rage was straight out of Doom, so there's hope for that!

Any info on release date ??
When it's done.

DaftPunk
28-02-2012, 11:04 PM
Makes sense. Doom 3 was a remake of Doom 1, so Doom 4 is likely to be remake of Doom 2.

Doesn't look particularly interesting so far, in that it just looks like any other post-apocalyptic game. I didn't hate Doom 3, but I hope this goes back to the original's hordes of enemies style.

He already confirmed that its gonna be remake of Doom 2,also here's the interview where he talks about gameplay,which is also going to be more similar to older DOOM games then third one.

"One of the things that I come to in my limited contributions to the whole Doom 4
design process is, it has to still be you beating down the bad guys," Carmack said. "It has to be a triumph of heavy weaponry over demonic forces in some way, and you have to be blowing demons all to hell around you, and it's a more positive side of things there."

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/85484-John-Carmack-Sheds-Some-Light-On-Doom-4

squirrel
29-02-2012, 12:31 AM
That's not nice. If those shots are real (I cant read Korean), id is recycling materials from Rage. I mean, of course they will make new maps and environments, but obviously data like textures is recycled. This should not happen on a good game even as it is run by the very same engine of Rage. Afterall you dont just pair two Unreal engine games of different developers to have similarity to this level.

Even shooter gameplay has been aging all these years, there are still so much room for excellence in many aspect, that's why Syndicate is a surprise to me. Maybe I haven't been playing sci-fi shooters for too long so I have missed some common features of those sci-fi shooters that you mates are familiar with. But yet id, please shows some innovation on this well reputed franchise.

Am I thinking too much just from those few shots that have no direct hints on gameplay? Anyway, I just have a thing for this franchise since DOOM is the very first shooter I played, on my MS-DOS machine.

DaftPunk
29-02-2012, 01:23 AM
Bear in mind that those shots are not the image of finished product,if they're really from DOOM 4.

SirKicksalot
29-02-2012, 01:30 AM
Aw shit, more images leaked, and they reveal without any doubt that this is Doom 4:
http://www.dsogaming.com/news/the-leaked-images-are-indeed-from-doom-4-new-hard-evidence-about-the-games-identity/

That's not nice. If those shots are real (I cant read Korean), id is recycling materials from Rage. I mean, of course they will make new maps and environments, but obviously data like textures is recycled. This should not happen on a good game even as it is run by the very same engine of Rage. Afterall you dont just pair two Unreal engine games of different developers to have similarity to this level.

I hated how Condemned recycled, like, every FEAR asset.
During Rage's development, once the map was built artists kept iterating on it, painting whatever they wanted. They went over every inch of the game. I wouldn't be too worried about recycling. If anything, that's what hurt id - they spent too much time fiddling with Rage. If the studio was the size of Ubisoft Montreal, they could deliver such games on a two year cycle, but they wasted 7 on it.

DaftPunk
29-02-2012, 01:47 AM
Can't say i like those designs of characters :/

SirKicksalot
29-02-2012, 01:58 AM
I love them. There are so many details! This is the Rage character design philosophy all over again.

Lewie Procter
29-02-2012, 02:00 AM
When it's done.
Just like Rage.

soldant
29-02-2012, 02:44 AM
Doom is my favourite series of all time... and I can't say I really like where this is heading. One of the things I liked about Doom 2, even if the level design was fairly abstract, was that it did feel that humanity's time was over and the demons would win. Having too much in the way of squad combat wouldn't help.

That said I'm actually not exceptionally worried about them recycling assets from Rage, so long as they fit the game and it isn't done to the extreme. id Software know their level design (though D3 had far too many monster closets) and visuals so I'm not too worried about that.

pakoito
29-02-2012, 03:30 AM
Dany Trejo as "Machete"!

http://www.dsogaming.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/villa2.jpg

Voon
29-02-2012, 03:50 AM
Doom: Hell on Earth 2 it is

Memph
29-02-2012, 08:07 AM
That said I'm actually not exceptionally worried about them recycling assets from Rage

I am. Post-apocalyptica settings are getting Alanis-ironically old and tired looking.

DaftPunk
29-02-2012, 12:24 PM
I just hope levels are going to be bigger,and style of graphics not so cartoony,because those characters looks like something from Rage.

soldant
29-02-2012, 12:28 PM
I am. Post-apocalyptica settings are getting Alanis-ironically old and tired looking.
Well... exactly what else would a demon-ravaged Earth look like? The very concept implies some sort of post-Doomsday event, you're going to see broken monuments and crap like that.

Zephro
29-02-2012, 04:24 PM
If it involves hordes of beautifully rendered Demons and incredibly high powered marine weaponry I will likely enjoy a Hell on Earth game.

PeopleLikeFrank
29-02-2012, 05:41 PM
id are doing some of my favourite character design right now. I like how they actually look like, well, people.

I just hope that it's not as dull as Quake 4, and not as constrained as Doom 3 - more monsters needed, bigger battles, less 'horror'. The shootybangs in Rage were good, so I'm looking forward to it.

SirKicksalot
29-02-2012, 05:58 PM
170 leaked images... (http://www.allgamesbeta.com/2012/02/doom-4-more-leaked-images.html)

DaftPunk
29-02-2012, 07:58 PM
Looks promising so far,but who gave them those screenies and why didn't RPS put this on front page ?

SirKicksalot
29-02-2012, 08:19 PM
This guy (http://www.linkedin.com/in/johnmulkey), apparently.

Scumbag
01-03-2012, 01:02 AM
No comment until I see monsters and circle-strafing

gganate
01-03-2012, 01:52 AM
No comment until I see monsters and circle-strafing
Yeah, these don't look like doom to me.

DaftPunk
01-03-2012, 01:33 PM
Yeah, these don't look like doom to me.

Haha exactly my thoughts,until we see gameplay i'll wait with comments about game :D

c-Row
01-03-2012, 03:19 PM
Here's hope that this might become what Hellgate: London tried and failed at (for a single player experience anyway).

Wooly Wugga Wugga
01-03-2012, 05:00 PM
Here's hope that this might become what Hellgate: London tried and failed at (for a single player experience anyway).

I thought Hellgate : London nailed its frantic demon blasting in single player.

Memph
01-03-2012, 05:07 PM
Well... exactly what else would a demon-ravaged Earth look like?

demon-ravaged for a start.

soldant
02-03-2012, 02:24 AM
demon-ravaged for a start.
Look at some of the screenshots from the archive linked, it clearly shows instances of the hellscape intrusion we saw in Doom 3.

sabrage
02-03-2012, 02:50 AM
Spoiler alert: It's all brown and grey.

Memph
02-03-2012, 04:54 AM
Look at some of the screenshots from the archive linked, it clearly shows instances of the hellscape intrusion we saw in Doom 3.

Aye, but my concern is that I want to actually witness it happen for once. Almost all of the images (granted, unfinished game etc...) give the impression the big event happened years ago and now we get to once again clamber through the mess. Tonnes of dust, decay, rust and grubby textures do not an invasion of hellspawn make. It just looks like any other game where a supposed war/bomb/apocalypse/meltdown took place in.

Artists could be having a field day with anything from gooey pulsating tentacle demon-spike things, rivers of blood, fleshy obelisks, thunder-wracked evil skies, a blackened sun, fallen comets, boiling rivers, satanic references, Zuul-style monuments conducting and/or spewing lightning and yet all these shots show thus far is typical post-war degredation imagery, like the dirty alleyways and messy library, that could be mistaken for twenty twelve other games, fantastical plots or otherwise.

I know it's early days, these shots weren't meant for release and we have no clue in what context we'll see them in game and so on. Just sayin' though innit. My initial reaction: It looks like Rage.

Memph
02-03-2012, 05:16 AM
id are doing some of my favourite character design right now. I like how they actually look like, well, people.

as an avid gamer, i'm assuming that's a female character model. hard to tell as the boobs are smaller than the head.
(yes indeed, the models do look great).

Shane
02-03-2012, 06:18 AM
More than the art-design (which is good) I'm more worried about the engine especially after the host of bugs and performance issues Rage and Brink came packed with.

soldant
02-03-2012, 06:28 AM
More than the art-design (which is good) I'm more worried about the engine especially after the host of bugs and performance issues Rage and Brink came packed with.
Doom 3 was pretty piss-poor performance wise on release too, even on strong hardware, plus it wasn't really clear if the problems on ATI cards really were because of the engine or ATI failing to release a driver update.

What I'm more worried about is them clinging to the megatexture tech without a good reason. Rage looks awesome until you look at any of the buildings up close, at which point there's a significant lack of detail.

Memph
02-03-2012, 06:35 AM

Brink was the Doom 3 engine (tech 4) afaiknew, heavily modified by way of Quake 4, Enemy Territory: Quake Wars' megatextures and then some on top. Know what you mean on their performance nevertheless, Brink did run like utter crap on my rig. I suppose though we can hope after tech 5's initial outing in Rage, they'll be doing more to master it's output rather than adding lots of spanky power-devouring guff to it this time.

SirKicksalot
02-03-2012, 07:26 AM
What I'm more worried about is them clinging to the megatexture tech without a good reason. Rage looks awesome until you look at any of the buildings up close, at which point there's a significant lack of detail.

It's a fair trade. The overall image looks incredible. id fanboyism aside, areas like Dead City, Wasted Garage or the first corridor of Mutant Bash TV blow my mind. I played all of them last night. I don't even know where to look first, that's how beautiful they are. In most games I can easily take in the entire picture but Rage overwhelms me. I also found myself thinking that the fast pace works against the graphics - you blitz through all levels at an insane speed compared to most modern shooters and if you go with the flow you barely have any time to look around.

The megatexture technology is ahead of its time. The newest AMD cards have support for Partially Resident Textures (http://i.imgur.com/BPQHo.jpg) and Doom 4 was confirmed to make use of it.

I'm excited for what Machine Games will do with id Tech 5. They're the studio formed by the Riddick/Darkness team which left Starbreeze a while ago. They have a bunch of rather famous '90s PC demoscene members and Magnus Hogdahl - basically the John Carmack of Europe.

soldant
02-03-2012, 07:34 AM
It's a fair trade.
It is? Look at some of the objects in the settlements. They're a blurry mess. Lots of the wall textures up close look terrible. I know that Rage is the tech's first outing and it's an extremely impressive bit of work, but it clearly doesn't work too well for adding close detail. Which I agree wouldn't really be a problem, except when it turns into a corridor shooter part or where you're in the towns, at which point it looks bad.

c-Row
02-03-2012, 07:41 AM
I thought Hellgate : London nailed its frantic demon blasting in single player.

It was pretty good, I agree, but it could have been so much better. I would have loved to see them flesh out the idea some more, and maybe see HG: Tokyo or something similar at a later point.

Donjo
25-07-2012, 01:28 AM
Aye, but my concern is that I want to actually witness it happen for once. Almost all of the images (granted, unfinished game etc...) give the impression the big event happened years ago and now we get to once again clamber through the mess. Tonnes of dust, decay, rust and grubby textures do not an invasion of hellspawn make. It just looks like any other game where a supposed war/bomb/apocalypse/meltdown took place in.

Artists could be having a field day with anything from gooey pulsating tentacle demon-spike things, rivers of blood, fleshy obelisks, thunder-wracked evil skies, a blackened sun, fallen comets, boiling rivers, satanic references, Zuul-style monuments conducting and/or spewing lightning and yet all these shots show thus far is typical post-war degredation imagery, like the dirty alleyways and messy library, that could be mistaken for twenty twelve other games, fantastical plots or otherwise.

I know it's early days, these shots weren't meant for release and we have no clue in what context we'll see them in game and so on. Just sayin' though innit. My initial reaction: It looks like Rage.

EXACTLY what I was thinking... I don't want to wander around a boring city shooting demons I want to be in Hell on earth!

A few giant crosses with a thousand corpses pinned to them, a field of heads on spikes, mile wide pits of boiling lava, everything upside down and inverted, THE WAILING AND GNASHING OF THE DAMNED

http://www.whitewallmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Civilization-Hell-detail-560x508.jpg

djbriandamage
25-07-2012, 04:10 PM
Doom is my favourite series of all time... and I can't say I really like where this is heading.

Doom is my favourite series of all time as well and I loved Doom 3. I'm wary of id after Quake Wars and Rage but I still have faith that they'll do a good job of Doom 4. I wouldn't be disappointed whatsoever if it did indeed turn out to be a remake of Doom 2, my favourite game ever.

Finicky
25-07-2012, 04:24 PM
It's a fair trade. The overall image looks incredible. id fanboyism aside, areas like Dead City, Wasted Garage or the first corridor of Mutant Bash TV blow my mind. I played all of them last night. I don't even know where to look first, that's how beautiful they are. In most games I can easily take in the entire picture but Rage overwhelms me. I also found myself thinking that the fast pace works against the graphics - you blitz through all levels at an insane speed compared to most modern shooters and if you go with the flow you barely have any time to look around.

The megatexture technology is ahead of its time. The newest AMD cards have support for Partially Resident Textures (http://i.imgur.com/BPQHo.jpg) and Doom 4 was confirmed to make use of it.

I'm excited for what Machine Games will do with id Tech 5. They're the studio formed by the Riddick/Darkness team which left Starbreeze a while ago. They have a bunch of rather famous '90s PC demoscene members and Magnus Hogdahl - basically the John Carmack of Europe.

Did the part where every time you turn your camera the textures switch LOD seem like a fair trade? =\

Even after the patches and after numerous catalyst updates the problem persisted (hd6870) and it totaly killed any immersion in the game and was just painful to look at.
For me megatextures is a huge dud, I'll gladly take a source game with good artstyle over the engine rage uses.

Patrick Swayze
25-07-2012, 06:51 PM
Did the part where every time you turn your camera the textures switch LOD seem like a fair trade? =\

Even after the patches and after numerous catalyst updates the problem persisted (hd6870) and it totaly killed any immersion in the game and was just painful to look at.
For me megatextures is a huge dud, I'll gladly take a source game with good artstyle over the engine rage uses.

If you have an empty hard drive it will work fine but even on at 5200 rpm but yeah i feel your pain bud. I accidently fudged things and needed a format but i was happy to play Rage finally, for a while at least ;)

SirKicksalot
25-07-2012, 07:08 PM
Texture streaming is also fixed by a faster CPU. I overclocked mine and the barely noticeable streaming is invisible now.

soldant
26-07-2012, 01:40 AM
I wouldn't be disappointed whatsoever if it did indeed turn out to be a remake of Doom 2, my favourite game ever.
Neither would I provided that it actually was the old Doom 2 with a modern update (i.e. all that abstract architecture turned into something recognisable), but from the screenshots they're taking it in some weird direction which doesn't look like Doom. To be honest, unless someone said "These screenshots are from Doom" I wouldn't have a clue where they've come from.

For me the entire thing seemed like a waste of time. Great, that patch of dirt looks slightly different to that patch of dirt. When I'm playing the game I don't notice it. What I do notice though is how that notice board or decal on the wall looks like a blurry mess. It didn't help that character detail was fantastic either - it just made the building textures look even worse.

jnx
26-07-2012, 05:26 AM
It's also of note that Rage lacked dynamic lighting entirely. Stand in front of a light, see a shadow? Yep. In a modern game that caused a feeling of "oddness". I read somewhere that this too was due to megatexture technology taking so much time to develop.

Finicky
26-07-2012, 05:56 AM
It's also of note that Rage lacked dynamic lighting entirely. Stand in front of a light, see a shadow? Yep. In a modern game that caused a feeling of "oddness". I read somewhere that this too was due to megatexture technology taking so much time to develop.
More likely it was the only way to get it to run at 60 fps on consoles. (Kudos to Carmack, choosing framerate over fluff)

And yeah, lack of dynamic lighting (gave the game similar lighting to source, and source has WAY better image quality and no texture lod problems) + the lod switching drag the immersion , consistency and feel of the graphics down way more than a lack of texture tiling would lift it up.

It's not like after playing rage and going back to any other game I thought even for a second 'oh damn this texture tiling looks jarring compared to megatextures', you never even stop to think about it.

The lighting, blurry textures and lod switching do make you stop though.
Hell I'm a huge fan of well done baked lighting (mirror's edge and source games) over the shitty jaggy shadows we got in games from 2005-2010 (pcs seem finally fast enough to do it semi properly so it's not shitbad ugly) .
Especially since to get their precious dynamic lighting most devs just threw all image quality standards out of the window in favor of their deferred renderers just so they could do lighting a bit more efficiently on the console boxes.

If it wasn't for that then ugly words that make me shudder like 'mlaa' or 'fxaa' wouldn't even exist today.

I'll never understand why Carmack didn't just shelve the megatexture when it turned out to be a half assed solution with big problems. He always comes up with this amazing shit, he could have shelved this one until HDD's were fast enough to make it not suck or he managed to find a way to do it properly.
That and he could have added proper textures for the pc version since they worked on the damned game for like 6 years.

Rage fits the saying we have here perfectly: 'schoon van ver maar ver van schoon'.

djbriandamage
26-07-2012, 03:03 PM
Neither would I provided that it actually was the old Doom 2 with a modern update (i.e. all that abstract architecture turned into something recognisable), but from the screenshots they're taking it in some weird direction which doesn't look like Doom. To be honest, unless someone said "These screenshots are from Doom" I wouldn't have a clue where they've come from.

I agree that I'd never guess it was Doom from those screenshots, but you can't blame id for straying from the source material. Did any area of any map in Doom 2 actually look like earth? I won't be picketing outside id's building if Doom 4 doesn't have buildings that are just a door on a huge cube of seamless bricks.

Smashbox
26-07-2012, 04:11 PM
I'm trying to picture seamless bricks.

djbriandamage
26-07-2012, 06:23 PM
I'm trying to picture seamless bricks.

That gave me a well-deserved snicker at myself! Pardon my embrokened wordularity.

Finicky
26-07-2012, 06:33 PM
That gave me a well-deserved snicker at myself! Pardon my embrokened wordularity.

Hilarious joke aside, it does exist :p
Seamless here means the edge of the texture lining up perfectly with the tiled (copy pasted or not) texture next to it.
Think leather stitching where the pattern on both pieces of leather doesn't line up.

Utsunomiya
26-07-2012, 07:56 PM
Did any area of any map in Doom 2 actually look like earth?
Wolfenstein did. Argueably.

soldant
27-07-2012, 01:35 AM
Did any area of any map in Doom 2 actually look like earth?
Sort of, in an abstract way, but they did have some pretty heavy engine limitations to contend with. The maps Suburbs and Downtown did look a bit like earth. But yeah I don't see any iconic Doom enemies or anything that resembles the old Doom.