PDA

View Full Version : [ARMA/MUMBLE] State of the Servers

Nullkigan
29-02-2012, 03:09 PM
I just paid off the next three months of server rental (March, April, May). Our war chest is now down to 47.18. Monthly rental is 95.99 as Arma loves a strong CPU. This means that on June 2nd, the server dies.

We've been doing this for more than a year now, so those rich money-seams in your pockets might be tapped out, but without your support we will lose our hardware. If we can't continue with the current hardware we'll probably still have a mumble server (as those are really light and cheap), but no game servers.

So guess what time it is? That's right, Pie Chart Time.

This is the donation page, with a custom pie chart: http://www.herosquad.org/arma2/hardware-and-funding/#Funding
This is a google link that acts as a backup if the pie chart doesn't show up (if my webhost gets pushed over): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ajk5hqfNdkxddE50a2xWaWFHcUk3VFpGTzUzRFFPa 1E

There have been no real issues with running multiple servers (A2, A2Free, A2Mods, Folk, TS3, Mumble) alongside (except for mumble not liking too many people using the server at once for no discernible reason) and we still have some spare capacity on the unused cores. Previously we've tried RO2, Brink and MWLL with varying degrees of success.

As well as support for the server, this thread is intended to inspire discussion on what, if anything, needs to be done with the hardware. For example, it's possible that a web interface for launching mod servers could be developed (but oh god not by me I don't have the time for that any more) or we could install a couple more games for hot-deployments. That sort of thing. Another example: I have noticed a few people complain about the mod server going down but then not reporting it to the admins - it's NOT in a restart wrapper because it's not a core service.

Note: I'm moving in the next fortnight and won't have internet access for a while after that, hence the shift from a monthly payment model. There will still be box admins around (Bodge, Washington, Fer), and any hardware faults should be sorted automatically by the provider without my intervention.

Note 2: I'm reiterating the warning from the funding page, this is a personal donation to my private account, as I am not running a business or offering a product or service. It just so happens I use the money in that account to fund the server. If I abscond with the money you're SOL but if I was going to do that I would have done it when there was more doshcash in it, right?

Note 3: Also, Donors do NOT get special benefits.

kataras
29-02-2012, 04:02 PM
I will be providing some funds for the server in the near future, probably towards the end of March. Before that I m going away on my golden ya.. eh car to some miserable place. If I meet Iceraiser and Bodge there, it will surely be a coincidence.

Is the mod server so widely used? I thought it was only used for special campaigns and maybe fooling around with ACRE.

Could we get one nuke per session, that we could drop on survivors of missions who refuse to charge heroically?

fer
29-02-2012, 04:08 PM
A Folk bloc donation will be arranged shortly. Even now, clerks at the Ministry of Finance are preparing a shipment of gold bars. Managers in all tractor factories are requested to increase production targets by 25% in order to generate additional export revenue. Additional financial savings will be made through reductions in the ammunition budget (F2 v2-5-1 will feature one less AK magazine per comrade).

Bushcat
29-02-2012, 05:45 PM
Subsistence farming has produced a surplus this time round,proceeds that shall be donated to the collective good of the party.

IceRaiser
29-02-2012, 09:55 PM
so those rich money-seams in your pockets might be tapped out

No, lol!

So guess what time it is? That's right, Pie Chart Time.
<3

If I abscond with the money you're SOL but if I was going to do that I would have done it when there was more doshcash in it, right?
So about that "Golden Yacht" I've heard so much about...

Note 3: Also, Donors do NOT get special benefits.
"Sadly" this is true, however you support a great cause!

I'll transfer 200 as soon as "someone"(harakka) stops causing alarms in Finland :P

Unaco
29-02-2012, 10:55 PM
I will be providing some funds for the server in the near future, probably towards the end of March.

I'll be the same... I haven't been teaching over the last few months, so not getting any bonus shekels from that. Back to teaching, get paid end of March.

Siddin
01-03-2012, 03:11 AM
I'll see if I can scrape together some coins from the corners of my mansion to put towards this noble cause.

Harlander
01-03-2012, 04:40 PM
I'll chip in a bit of cash when I get in tonight. The flame of the ARPS server shall not perish while I still draw breath! Or something similarly dramatic

Nullkigan
02-03-2012, 11:16 AM
Good work, Folks.

The account now stands at 415, which sees us through to the end of September. We get to have a second birthday party after all.