View Full Version : Mod News

29-02-2012, 10:23 PM
Whatever happened to it?

01-03-2012, 12:50 AM
Wasn't it dropped because there simply isn't that much happening in the modding sector these days, particularly compared with the 2000s and late 1990s? I seem to remember there being a final article a while ago now.

01-03-2012, 01:24 AM
Oh, I must've missed that. Hard to believe it's due to a lack of moddery though. With things like Desura (http://www.desura.com/mods) mods seem more accessible as ever. And Moddb is plenty active..I guess it depends what qualifies as news worthy.

01-03-2012, 01:40 AM
I'm pretty sure it was dropped because the guy who wrote it moved on to other things. There was a replacement promised, but that hasn't materialised. I trust in the RPS writers to do something eventually, even if it's just a monthly roundup. With stuff like Dear Esther happening, it can't be said that modding is a dead art.

01-03-2012, 12:56 PM
I think it was dropped because it wasn't very good. It was frequently inaccurate or months out of date, and rarely actually made anyone very interested in the mods contained. I suggested (and still think) that the RPS team should give mods the same treatment they do games - so news when there is something interesting, and "Wot I Think/Impressions" articles whenever possible. To some extent that has happened, and the other thing you get is the "Mods and Ends" column, although the last one of those was November 2011.