PDA

View Full Version : Rock, Paper, Spinfusor -- Tribes: Ascend

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

deadly.by.design
25-07-2012, 04:17 PM
After replying to HiRez support with the requested questions answered, logs & screenshots attached, this is my first recommendation for my issue of warping/ping-spikes, etc:

Try updating your graphics driver as a first step. It looks like it is from February, and while not ancient could use an upgrade.

o_@

Car to Pol
25-07-2012, 04:29 PM
Hihi, just played my first session of this gleeful game. In one game I had 2 caps, as a Juggernaut yeah!, and I'm surprised by the exhilaration it brings. So I instantly bought a starter pack, shame I missed it in the summer sales...

So I was wondering what the deal is with the RPS-server? Are there set times when it becomes populated? All I've seen is a total lack of people :( I'd sure like to play some games with you healthy bunch!

Poppis
25-07-2012, 04:34 PM
So I was wondering what the deal is with the RPS-server? Are there set times when it becomes populated? All I've seen is a total lack of people :( I'd sure like to play some games with you healthy bunch!

It's pretty much empty except for the events. Join the Steam group, all the events are there.

AuralViolations
25-07-2012, 05:03 PM
It's pretty much empty except for the events. Join the Steam group, all the events are there.

Add some of us in-game as well so you can quick join us.

Scumbag
25-07-2012, 05:39 PM
Due to the SHOCKING behavior of the new patch I've rescheduled the C&H game to Friday and tonight will be a CTF Shabottery night with a focus on the two new maps (and maybe some Stonehenge for the hell of it?).

Also I've just taken a look through the various pages in the social section of the forum and it appears this thread is one of the most bloated and overlong of all (excluding some notable "event" threads). As I keep wanting to make polls and stuff (some people prefer to just click things and be done with it as opposed to being forced to talk) I may make a request to the hivemind to have our own TA section so we can possibly have threads relating to events etc... making certain subjects easier to find without interspersing certain discussions between a number of different posts. Good idea, bad idea?

DeVadder
25-07-2012, 05:56 PM
Good idea.

Bankrotas
25-07-2012, 06:06 PM
Ugh, joined the group, but really, adding everyone on a friend list?

Scumbag
25-07-2012, 06:14 PM
Ah, you dont have to add EVERYONE on steam (just noticed you added me), but names in game can be convenient.

Should note I've just been playing about with the Twinfusors in the target practice, plus I've just got a boatload of gold from the funding of the server and I'm tempted to buy, but... I don't know if I'm over reacting, but they seem really powerful due to the speed they can be fired. Admittedly you will need to be a good shot to land both in secession in a mid air but I can see more BPS coming as a result. Just hope it wont invalidate regular Spinfusors.

Also, no love for the Brute :(

ilves
25-07-2012, 06:22 PM
Hey all, I started playing about a week ago, mostly playing as Raider currently as I love blowing up the gen. Haven't unlocked anything on raider yet except the base stuff, but I think I'm getting the hang of the game (level 6 now). I'll join up the group when I get home later.

Poppis
25-07-2012, 06:32 PM

Hehe, no need to add everyone.=) Majority of the people don't even come to the events regularly.

Edit: And only ingame names, no need to add steam accs(imo).

AuralViolations
25-07-2012, 06:34 PM
I've been playing with the pth and sld twinfusers all morning(well, in between crashing) and I like them although I am definitely a lot better with dueling and regular spinfusers. It is hard to land both shots but rewarding when your first shot knocks the enemy into the second shot for a BP. The impulse is lacking too. I am going to give them a shot in arena now before switching back to the new maps.

As for adding people in game, I would suggest starting with the people that are more active. Look around the last few pages I suppose.

great idea on a sub forum!

edit: easy way to get a bunch of people added is just click the + in the RPS matches tonight.

Bankrotas
25-07-2012, 06:38 PM
I feel they might, if you have enough in you to know, where enemy will bounce off after first hit, but due to ammo burning, I would consider making both alternatives.

Skydancer
25-07-2012, 06:40 PM
Oh patch is out - neat. Gonna try stuff later!

deadly.by.design
25-07-2012, 07:03 PM
I've only added a handful of people, so don't feel obligated to get everyone's name.

NieA7
25-07-2012, 07:04 PM
I've been playing with the soldier spinfusor. It's... interesting. It does much less damage than the regular (525 direct, 375 splash) but its real strength seems to lie in disrupting the flow of a duel. After a while you get a feel for the safe gaps as the other payer's reloading, but with the dual fusor you can fire twice in quick succession or space it out to a shot and a half. You really need to hit regularly given the low damage, but being able to dictate the rhythm feels pretty powerful. Trouble is I'm no damn good at it yet.

Oddly it feels like it makes the eagle pistol much more viable - doing so little splash damage makes it worthwhile switching to the pistol earlier than you might otherwise, feels like a better combo than the regular fusor and pistol.

Scumbag
25-07-2012, 08:22 PM
I cracked and bought them and... the soldier's one is actually quite good. Not really OP as the splash on it is rather weak and would consider it a definite alternative to the Spinfusor as Gast's Rifle is to the regular AR.
Complaints? As with a lot of the other premium weapons they all cost too much IMO. I paid the 800 Gold for the 3 pack, but at 500g a piece normally that's a mite on the sharp side.

deadly.by.design
25-07-2012, 08:44 PM
If they're not exactly amazing or OP, I think the prices are fine for two reasons*:

1) Those with excess XP won't mind spending it on them; and 2) Purchasing them with gold helps keep the game profitable. As frugal as I am, I have no problem with a game developer staying in business. In order for them to stay in business, they need to make money. To make money from a F2P game, you need to sell things. If players already have everything they "need," then the only way to sell things is by making vanity items or variant weapons available for purchase.

So, as far as I'm concerned, this patch appears to be the biggest step in the right direction that I've seen so far. Here's hoping my estimation still rings true after the weapons (and resulting metas) have been vetted.

*I have not been home from work to test them out yet.

bonkers
25-07-2012, 09:08 PM
Wow, the server is packed. Attempting to join for twenty minutes now...

NieA7
25-07-2012, 09:26 PM
Yeah, me too. Guess a lot of people are just browsing to try out the new maps. Ah well, have fun all!

Scumbag
25-07-2012, 09:52 PM
My god that was good fun! Thanks to all for turning up and making it work out well. The two new maps are damn brilliant IMO. Permafrost is a little turtle heavy I admit but it makes the Gen room something more then "LOL GENS!" for brutes and infs to waste space in.
Dangerous crossing is... its bloody Tribes! Its not too big admittedly, but damnit its the first map I've played a Jug on and I've felt like a human bullet!

AuralViolations
25-07-2012, 10:05 PM
Great games tonight!

ATTENTION
Anyone who wants to play in the 5v5 register on gameshrine now and send me a message here or on steam with your availability and stuff so I can register tomorrow. I will be gone all Friday but back Saturday but would like to have it done before.

Thanks

CWalker
25-07-2012, 10:08 PM
Couldn't even get on tonight, due to the fullness :( Queued for bleedin' ages too, but oh well, means the RPShazbotting is going strong!

Also, being that clan tags are now in the game, perhaps we should all prefix our names with the three almighty letters? MAybe then we could appear half organised :D

Edit: Managed to get in for a game or 3, and good grief permafrost is just...horrible, in my opinion. Whine whine etc etc down with hirez

Antares
25-07-2012, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the games tonight gentlemen, that was lots of fun. Really liking the new maps and their respective takes on gen play.

As for the clan tags, I've already seen quite a few people sporting one and just got one for myself. I can attest that it does help us look somewhat ruly and professional, provided you don't get too close and sort of squint your eyes a bit.

Scumbag
25-07-2012, 10:40 PM
While it was a good few matches I'm sorry for the people who couldn't get in at all. Seemed to be almost full when I joined shortly prior to the event starting and it only seemed to get more packed from there-on in. I would venture a guess that at least 50% of the people were just hopping in to whine about the new maps (and whine a couple did).

The good thing is the server did not crash like it did back when DeVadder first set the server up (which was far from his fault). Hopefully this time with the new faces we can keep things rolling rather then constantly tripping over technical bloopers when the game was first released.

deadly.by.design
25-07-2012, 11:12 PM
My problem was even worse than normal in a foreign region (RPS server). Here's hoping I get that resolved ASAP. At least it was a nostalgic blast to see Dangerous Crossing again... even if the ravines don't feel nearly as deep as they did in '98.

I don't think I can commit to the 5v5. There's just too much going on in my real life to nail down availability.

bonkers
25-07-2012, 11:19 PM
Mh, so my first (very early) thoughts on the patch:

- Temple Ruins facelift seems fine. Time will tell
- Permafrost seems okay. At least I enjoyed the few rounds on the map
- Dangerous Crossings is interesting but the base layout is... wonky. I dunno. Too tight, too little space. Also the map is awefull for infiltrators as they regulary get over the 160kph limit and decloak.
- Stonehenge is the one with the giant "bridge" in the middle, right? Hate that. Dunno why bit it feels like running against a wall over and over again. Also the "bridge" is too hard to get up to imho. Also the turrent placement seems "odd", sometimes turrets can hit you at spots they should not even be able to see you.

- Jackal nerfed. Thank god! That took a while... seems fine now. Still annoying but no longer oneshotting medium.
- Fractals still a pain in the ass. They seem to be okay now with FF on but as pubs dont do that they still kinda break the game
- Still thinking carrying more then one grenade should be a perk. Still too spammy. But that might be related to FF off in pubs. On the RPS server with FF on it seemed fine
- Orbitals still the same shit they have ever been. Maybe FF on would get them in line but for some strange reason HiRez is against FF on even in the "high tier" pub matches.
- Twinfusors seem fine. HiRez finally managed to include new weapons which do not break the game! Thinking of getting one or all three. Have to try them out in training a bit.

- Still missing stuff to spend credits on. Most likely one of the reasons why long games tend to end in orbital spam
- Still the odd design decisions like why to give Sentinels and Juggs prettey decent to outright awesome dueling weapons (aka automatics)
- Still automatics are to prominent and "dominating" in the game for my taste, but that might also be related to stuf like chasing being broken, the odd 72kph jetpack limit etc. They are kinda needed to cover other deficits of the game. I use them myself quiet often but I don't know. It's like bringing a gun to a knife fight...

Still having fun though. It just could be so much better.

Dominicus
26-07-2012, 09:05 AM
Some good games last night, but I gues everyone was addapting to the new maps.

noaru
26-07-2012, 09:53 AM
While it was a good few matches I'm sorry for the people who couldn't get in at all. Seemed to be almost full when I joined shortly prior to the event starting and it only seemed to get more packed from there-on in. I would venture a guess that at least 50% of the people were just hopping in to whine about the new maps (and whine a couple did).

The good thing is the server did not crash like it did back when DeVadder first set the server up (which was far from his fault). Hopefully this time with the new faces we can keep things rolling rather then constantly tripping over technical bloopers when the game was first released.

Is it possible to have some kind of reservation system for RPSers? I understand that the server was full last night due to randoms joining in to test the new maps. I was kinda looking forward to the event and found the server full.
If we have a reasonable player base (and I think we're getting there) I'd suggest password protecting the server so that we can have a better chance at getting everybody in.

Poppis
26-07-2012, 10:38 AM
Last nights game was not indicative of normal participation levels. If I remember correctly, the previous event on Sunday was a dud.

evilbobthebob
26-07-2012, 11:27 AM
Yeah, there were a few members of major Tribes (should I include myself in that? :P ) turning up to try out the new maps in a pub setting. My impressions are that Dangerous Crossing is too small for even 14vs14 on the RPS server; Stonehenge is okay but still rather too good for snipers (note one guy getting Slayer) and Permafrost could be good if more people went on the attack. I attribute that to not really knowing the map.

Dominicus
26-07-2012, 11:46 AM
Permafrost could be good if more people went on the attack. I attribute that to not really knowing the map.

I think it also becomes better with good comunication. If you have voice chat the assault can be timed much better and getting the flag out is easier. Without that there are only two options, go for the generator or try to get the flag out of the building and pray that someone pick it up as you die.

Bankrotas
26-07-2012, 11:47 AM
Well as an tech player I appreciate Permafrost a lot. Also got to set my new highscore there. I feel thumper is the only weapon I can use properly in this game :/

Also a little bit of boasting. I didn't know what to do with all the credits I had as a Tech.

evilbobthebob
26-07-2012, 12:08 PM
Well, if you can use the Thumper you can use both of the soldier's thumpers and the pathfinder's bolt launcher. They all have very similar arcs. Speaking of arcs, you'd probably be okay with the Arx buster too. Apart from that, if you want to get used to weapons like the TCN SMG (one of the best automatics in the game now) just go into target practice for a short time, or play with the TCN in an outside role. Being outside and defending the flag is often more useful to your team anyway, though you I assume you know that.

Skydancer
26-07-2012, 12:45 PM
Yeah, there were a few members of major Tribes (should I include myself in that? :P ) turning up to try out the new maps in a pub setting. My impressions are that Dangerous Crossing is too small for even 14vs14 on the RPS server; Stonehenge is okay but still rather too good for snipers (note one guy getting Slayer) and Permafrost could be good if more people went on the attack. I attribute that to not really knowing the map.

Agree on all points. On stonehenge I could not bomb anything as a JUG without getting swarmed and pelted by two SENs at once.

Poppis
26-07-2012, 12:56 PM
Havok would be nice for Permafrost to make sure you can get enough people to the enemy base at the same time.

Bankrotas
26-07-2012, 01:16 PM
Yeah, thinking of saving up for both bolt launchers at the moment.

DeVadder
26-07-2012, 02:08 PM
Yay for clantags. ^^

I made mine before i even joined yesterday, they are virtually free anyways.
Also, twinfusors are so much fun. I do not think they are very good, or even better, seeing how hard it is to apply the full damage of a volley quickly. But i just enjoy shooting them. And what more could one ask for.

Bankrotas
26-07-2012, 02:24 PM
So RPSZ is the clan tag?

deadly.by.design
26-07-2012, 02:44 PM
Mh, so my first (very early) thoughts on the patch:

- Stonehenge is the one with the giant "bridge" in the middle, right? Hate that. Dunno why bit it feels like running against a wall over and over again. Also the "bridge" is too hard to get up to imho. Also the turrent placement seems "odd", sometimes turrets can hit you at spots they should not even be able to see you.I'm fine with it. They're supposed to be hard to get on because of the vantage point they offer. If they were easy, I think we'd have even more SENs up there. Or JUGs. The map is a bit smaller scale than the T1 version was, IIRC, so that might be part of why it feels odd.

- Still missing stuff to spend credits on. Most likely one of the reasons why long games tend to end in orbital spam
I think part of the problem is that vehicles aren't as necessary as they were in T1 & 2. So, yeah...once the base is upgraded, there's not much else to do with them. There are many times in a pub when I get near the end of a long match and notice, "Oh, hey...credits."

- Still the odd design decisions like why to give Sentinels and Juggs prettey decent to outright awesome dueling weapons (aka automatics)
The Falcon can still be a bit too effective in the right hands, even with its increased falloff and regular damage going down to 65, but I'm okay with giving less mobile classes an auto. Mostly because everyone else has autos... so that's kind of the problem. SENs and JUGs would be a lot more vulnerable without them. Nobody would use a JUG in comp or pugs if they didn't have an X1. Maybe the risk/reward would be worth it for some... but probably not fun in most settings. I think we'd all prefer to see autos take a backseat to explosives... but I'm just thankful to be playing a Tribes game in 2012.

/edit/
After getting some of the worst latency ever on the RPS server last evening, I did some fiddling with the way my cable line comes into the house last night. (constant warping at all hours, only evident while playing Tribes) The house I'm renting has a messy config--splitters for tv & cable, a signal booster for the one line, etc--but I think the solution I found is a bit more elegant. The game I tested this morning was back to normal--20-30 ping with NO warping. So, woohoo. The real test will be if the same happens at peak hours.

I'm still laughing about the fact that HR suggested updating my video drivers for a network issue.

Bobtree
26-07-2012, 03:28 PM
I found the Doombringer's ammo nerf pretty painful. The call-in ammo station really should be made a bit tougher too, so it becomes a lower priority target. If you're lucky enough to have a proper DOOM playing HOF, please don't pick up ammo near the flagstand. They need it!

deadly.by.design
26-07-2012, 03:41 PM
I found the Doombringer's ammo nerf pretty painful. The call-in ammo station really should be made a bit tougher too, so it becomes a lower priority target. If you're lucky enough to have a proper DOOM playing HOF, please don't pick up ammo near the flagstand. They need it!

I think it's fine when paired with the Looter buff. I haven't maxed mine out yet, but you should actually end up with more ammo when it gets there.

So, people are using [RPS] as a tag? (or whatever marks go around the letters in-game... I haven't seen 'em yet)

Scumbag
26-07-2012, 08:00 PM
And disaster has struck (sort of).
Looks like my old Samsung monitor has suffered the capacitor death all Samsungs do and as a result I am not able to use my main computer till I either repair it or replace it.
What has that got to do with anything? I cant access the server options for the RPS TA server for the mo. The computer I'm using atm is my brother's computer and there just is not space on it for something like a silly game or whatnot so installing it here is not an option. I'll see if I can get it running on my laptop just to change server settings about etc... but permafrost and Dangerous Crossing may be the primary rotation for the foreseeable future.

DeVadder
26-07-2012, 09:11 PM
That sucks.
I could lend you a spare monitor but i feel it might be a little tough to get it over there. ^^
Also, did the hivemind respond to your subsection querry?

And yes, those i have seen so far (including me) used [RPS] (the [] are added automatically ofc).

Ritashi
27-07-2012, 12:17 AM
Does T:A even have any sort of premade vs premade matchmaking feature? It seems absolutely silly that an entirely team-based game like this wouldn't, but I just realized today that I've never seen any sort of in-game feature for that.

AuralViolations
27-07-2012, 12:34 AM
So far 2 people have responded for the 5v5 with a private message. Are there any others who came make it most of the time? Even if you can come only part times and want to practice around we will put you on the team list. PM me ASAP.

Edit: even if you expressed interest here on the boards earlier, please PM me with contact info and times so I know for sure.

edit2: We are up to 3 responses so that is a team of 4 we could use one more full-time and part available PM me too!

unruly
27-07-2012, 07:51 AM
So I'm trying to get better at playing raider, because mediums are my bread and butter and soldier is getting stale, and I'm just sucking so hard right now. I like the GL, because it's a bit of a mix between the thumper and the mortar. However, the arming time makes it a pain for close-in fights, which is where I usually like to be. But I can't really use the arx buster yet because it seems like the arc on it is more heavily affected by my movement than other guns are. That, and I'm not quite used to the delay before each round explodes, so I suck at hitting a moving target with it. Energy management seems to be a real bitch too because it's either turn on the shield pack or you keep your mobility, with doing both draining your energy in record time.

Any tips, or should I just give up on raider altogether? And I don't have the XP for the plasma gun, and my gold is already gone, so that's not currently an option. Also, I tend to suck with the autos for the most part.

bonkers
27-07-2012, 09:14 AM
When I use the GL I try to avoid direct confrontations. Only fight in tight spacers where you can lay down grenades where the enemies cannot avoid them. If thats not the case cover your escape with grenades and get into larger spaces where you might have an advantage with your SMG. Or just get away alltogether, refresh and return. As a raider you don't have to destroy an asset at every run. You are already helping a lot if you can keep more then two people busy in the gen room.

I also prefer to use the jammer pack. For one it makes you harder to spot and gives you an advantage to get close to the base and reduce the time the enemy team has to react. But if you really want to stay in the gen room and fight I would say go for the energy pack, but it's usage requires quiet some time to get used to. To get to know when to turn it on and off.
So as long as you are not really used to GL and Arx I would say to play more the "trolling" raider and try to annoy their defense until you get the hang of the weapons. Just keep them busy, damage and assset and hide. Or sometimes (which is always fun) is when you attack their stand and suddenly three people chase after your for the kill, leaving the flag stand exposed. You might get killed in the process but it helps you team. Raider gameplay is very often just based on taking hits for the team ;)

Also a fun thing to to with raider and jammer is meleeing/sticky kill sentinels. If you use the outer boundaries of the map they wont see you coming. And this also tremedously helps your pathfinders. If the sentinel is dead just rush in, destroy the radar, hide, rinse and repeat ;)

Overall I would advise to play raider way more cautiously then say soldier, although he might look like a tough guy. More like the middle between a soldier and an infiltrator. Have a look at the situation first and then decide what you wanna do.

DeVadder
27-07-2012, 09:34 AM
Imho Raider is very situational. Not a class to use every round. I very often whip out the Raider in Crossfire. The map is small enough so that his low movement speed does not hinder the attack too much. I use GL and Jammer Pack, turn jammer on and enter their base (without firing) through the right front door. Often you do not even get noticed, but even if, the Jammer still protects from the inevitably tech turrets. Inside the base, i turn jammer off to recharge (ofc only if no tech turrets are next to me) and begin spamming the left room (the one with the flag in front) and the flagstand. I use ECM XL nades btw to turn enemy brutes shield packs down and generally be as annoying as possible.
I often am able to clear the flagstand this way, sometimes even hold their lower base for a short while.
The GL does massive damage in tight spaces, especially the small door between the two rooms and the chute connecting upper and lower base are death traps.

And allways aim for their feet (as with almost every gun, but for some reason some people seem to forget that with the GL) or even in front of them, trying to ricochet the nades into them. That way even those not hitting directly explode quickly and close to them.
Last but not least, i suggest egocentric as perk.

Dominicus
27-07-2012, 10:06 AM
Well, with the deadline for the 5v5 pathfinder tourney fast aproching I try it this way to recruit the last ppl I need. Me and some friends where planning to join the tourney, but due to vacations and stuff some can't make it so where down 2 ppl.

So Team De Chemische Binding (aka Chemical Bond) is looking for 1-2 ppl who want to join up. Lower lvl's have a slight prefer due to the new bloods limits, also chemical students have a slight plus :P (just joking). Send me a PM or poke me on steam and we will discuss the details. We have no problems if your not from EU as long as you have no problem playing on EU times.

Also, our main goal: have some fun :D

bonkers
27-07-2012, 11:17 AM
Important notice:

Currently the 90 day booster is only 1600 gold. 800 off the original price. If you have the gold you should check this one out. It's only 400 gold more than a 30 day boost, which is 1200 gold.

Can anyone find info on how long this is gonna last?

evilbobthebob
27-07-2012, 11:41 AM
Does T:A even have any sort of premade vs premade matchmaking feature? It seems absolutely silly that an entirely team-based game like this wouldn't, but I just realized today that I've never seen any sort of in-game feature for that.

Unfortunately it does not have full-team matchmaking but they have added a five player party system. Haven't tried it myself.

deadly.by.design
27-07-2012, 02:33 PM
Is it just me, or did Looter not get the buff that was listed in the patch notes?

The Looter Perk has been increased to provide a base 50% ammo bonus, and upgrades to 100%.

There doesn't seem to be any increase to total ammo when I equip it. Also, not that it's necessarily 100% accurate, but the wiki isn't listing it as changed either. What the heck?

The 1600g 90-day booster is a great deal, but I only have ~1700g left, and that would kill my ability to hit daily deals...

evilbobthebob
27-07-2012, 02:45 PM
I am pretty sure that Looter is ammo from nuggets, not base ammo count. "Get 50% more ammo from ammo drops".

deadly.by.design
27-07-2012, 02:55 PM
Doh. Maybe I'm the only one who took the wording to mean a fundamental change and increase in total ammo count. I suppose I read that into the description because of the dramatic change to safe fall. IMO, that would've made it more viable, and it's why I had been happy about the change. (though I suppose the total ammo count would've been ridiculous if +50 or 100%...maybe 25 & 50% would've worked) It's still better, but ehhh.

The funny part is that I haven't really been playing DMB since getting into SEN, but that's probably because a good friend of mine prefers to HoF. So, sniping better complements the defense.

AuralViolations
27-07-2012, 03:27 PM
OK, it looks like we have 5 + 1 extra so far. I can add people until Monday. I am going to make the team now, but PM me if you still want to join(anyone, even part timers please do so!)

Dominicus - if you want you can join us and we can be RPS/CB for the tourney. That way we'd have more players to practice with and be able to adjust our team as needed.

I will be out of town until late saturday so will add anyone who PMs me then. Thanks!

First practice sunday?

http://www.gameshrine.org/tribe-apply.php?id=153&pass=57986cbd13faa1a08fd99533744514e88f8a71b3

That it to register for the tribe. Even if you can't play and want to register, go for it.

deadly.by.design
27-07-2012, 03:31 PM
OK, it looks like we have 5 + 1 extra so far. I can add people until Monday. I am going to make the team now, but PM me if you still want to join(anyone, even part timers please do so!)

I'm camping this weekend and need to finish a freelance project by the end of next week, so it's not a very good time for me. Well, that and my latency issue would make playing PTH pretty awkward. I'll see if my recent attempt to solve that worked when I test this afternoon.

bonkers
27-07-2012, 04:42 PM
Question: I am currently playing Soldier a lot, playing defense with the spinfusor/thumper combo. Now I am thinking about getting the twin and dx. I am duelling a lot but also often go inside to get rid of Infs and Brutes. I am currently quiet happy with the damage i can dish out in small areas and am afraid the twinfusor might limit that too much so that I am no longer a real threat to Brutes. I could compensate that by getting the AP grenades but then I would lack the proximity grenades which seem to be usefull in defense. After playing around with those I am not really convinced. The DX seems to be great as I tend to have better aim with the thumper than spinfusor...
Ah, that's so comlicated. Any advice?

Scumbag
27-07-2012, 04:49 PM
A couple of cheap temp caps later and I've got the RPS server set to C&H, but I don't think I'll be taking part due to this screen being rather wobbly atm.
If the game goes well, please leave feedback here as to how it was. Want to see if people enjoy it or not. I may be on steam playing Ys or something on my laptop, so give me a yell if there are problems.
REMEMBER: Cheap bikes for the whole team. Get riding!

deadly.by.design
27-07-2012, 05:10 PM
Question: I am currently playing Soldier a lot, playing defense with the spinfusor/thumper combo. Now I am thinking about getting the twin and dx. I am duelling a lot but also often go inside to get rid of Infs and Brutes. I am currently quiet happy with the damage i can dish out in small areas and am afraid the twinfusor might limit that too much so that I am no longer a real threat to Brutes. I could compensate that by getting the AP grenades but then I would lack the proximity grenades which seem to be usefull in defense. After playing around with those I am not really convinced. The DX seems to be great as I tend to have better aim with the thumper than spinfusor...

Go ahead and get the Thumper DX. It's only 4800xp, does more damage, and the reduced splash radius isn't that noticeable. As for the Twinfusor, I don't know... You'll be able to juggle enemies around with the blasts, so that's a plus. I tend to run AR/Thumper, though, because I prefer to have some range.

I think the first Twinfusor I'll unlock will be the PTH's, because it's the most viable in terms of still fulfilling a class role. With the Soldier Twin, you're either giving up the AR's range or the power of the normal fusor. With the JUG's Heavy Twin, you're giving up the ability to use the X1 if you have it. Still, I'm sure they're all fun to use, regardless of how practical they are. Also, yay for new weapons that aren't OP or broken!

Also, I finally took the time to unlock an [RPS] clan tag. We're so officially unofficial!

Bankrotas
27-07-2012, 05:40 PM
So RPS it is

Scumbag
27-07-2012, 05:42 PM
From what I played with it I'd say the Heavy Twinfusor is actually on par with the X1 LMG. While the X1 is still silly good, the TF I find very good for dealing with lights who come to pester me as I shell the enemy base. Using the SF MKD you need to think about where you place the shot more due to the reload, TF I can spam a couple of shots in an area and I'm more likely to hit them, plus if you hit them with the double tap it will more then likely kill them. On heavies and mediums the X1 may be better in some situations, plus its obviously better at anti-air use. I played about with it on a Sunstar Pub match with the MIRV launcher and I was a royal pain in the gen room at times.
Also BPS! BPS everywhere!

N7Hale
27-07-2012, 05:57 PM
So are we going to use mumble or similar VOIP this evening? Seems to me it always enhances proceedings when you have fifteen people screaming unintelligibly in your ear, and my girlfriend finds it endlessly amusing when I'm shouting out some of my more colourfully-named compatriots names. Mumble is dead easy to set up (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?2515-README-Mumble-VOIP-for-Arma-2-and-other-games) and we can add a seperate channel for each team easily.

Thoughts? I'd be happy to set up the mumble channels if anyone thinks they'd use it. Not too keen to sit in chat by myself like a plum, tho...

Ritashi
27-07-2012, 07:40 PM
I'll be at least checking mumble, if anyone else is on it I'll be hopping in the channel.

Bankrotas
27-07-2012, 09:31 PM
Well this was fun, my internal microphone is crap for mumble, thus can't chat normally, nor do I have any skill left to chat normally in english either :/

Skydancer
28-07-2012, 11:39 AM
I could make it tomorrow, before 22 CET though since I have a scheduled bb match with presterjohn.

DeVadder
28-07-2012, 12:10 PM

I use the heavy twinfusor and i love it. Twinfusor does in fact deal more damage than the corresponding spinfusor. You just have to land both in quick succesion. You should not think about it as a weaker spinfusor with less reloading but as a more powerfull spinfusor with a projectile split in half.
In close quarters, where you are likely to hit both on the same target, it is better than the normal fusor imho. Especially against heavys in fact, as they will not bounce as much from your first hit. I think in duels outside, it might be a little worse as it is harder to hit with both when the enemy is on the ground for just a short moment. On the other side it is way easier to land an air shot allthough only for half damage ofc.
Also, more important for heavies, while the knockback per damage taken is way worse when twinfusor jumping, you get more energy from potential energy. And when fusor jumping as heavy, the potential energy gained is almost more important than the knockback. That means that now a Juggernaut is almost as mobile as a Brute and has the usefull health pack. As i think Heavy Twinfusor and Heavy Spinfusor are on par (note that what i just said about TF beeing better does not apply here as the heavy TF is very similar to the medium one and does not deal more damage than the heavy SF because it replaces the Juggers medium SF) and i sure prefer the mortar deluxe to the brutes secondarys, the Jugg for now has replaced the Brute as my main.

bonkers
28-07-2012, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the insight. I will fool around a bit with them in taget practice for my final decission.

Also my 30 day booster ended today. If someone is interested (maybe because new to the game or unsure on how usefull those are) here some numbers. Hopefully I didn't make any mistakes. Math is my weak spot ;)

Overall in those 30 days I had almost exactly 40 hours of playtime.
In those 40 hours I was able to make 483.437 XP. This is primarily only "pure" gameplay xp, only a few badges in the bronze level as I already have all high level badges except those I will most likely never get (fast grab for example ;))

So lets just round this down to 480.000 XP which would be 12.000 xp per hour boosted playtime.
In terms of the most expensive weapons (the 88.000 XP ones which cost 500 gold) this would be 4,5 of those, making 2750 gold in comparison.
A 30 day boost is only 1200 gold, so even if you get all the weapons for 50 percent off in a daily deal (which also includes the luck to get them in a deal in a reasonable amount of time, not like getting the pilot perk over and over again...) you still save a little bit of money, if you can get about over 1 hour playtime per day. Below that buying weapons for money becomes more and more attractive. Of course you get the weapons faster if you pay for them directly, but if that's not an issue for you a booster is a better deal.

So if you have the time and want to save money (or just have the best deal), get a 30 day booster or even a 90 day booster (which is currently on sale). Purely by this numbers with 1 hour playtime a day a 90 day booster would yield around one million xp. That should be enough to get amost everyhing you desire for 30 USD and would leave you with 1600 gold to save and/or spent on other stuff like skins etc. Of course it would not give you everything, but there is plenty of stuff in the game you simply don't need. And almost nobody plays all the classes anyway.

And this little calculation also strengthens my oppinion on pricing in TA: weapons/items/etc are just overpriced.

Dasblackman
28-07-2012, 04:20 PM
Hey guys, just found the forum, super excited to start playing with you guys. Tribes name is Dasblackman!

Walt
28-07-2012, 10:39 PM
Just thought I'd say hello here. Been reading RPS for a loong time, but just now made a forum account... :p
Played some on the server yesterday. Tribes name is Walt. Not the most talkative (or is that writeative?) while playing, cause I figuratively can't walk and chew gum at the same time, but I try.

Hope to see you all on the server!

AuralViolations
28-07-2012, 11:30 PM
Hi new people. Don't forget to join the steam group! http://steamcommunity.com/groups/RPShazbot

For those who still want to enter the 5v5 tournament we are taking full and part time people(and even if you just want to help us practice). http://www.gameshrine.org/tribe-apply.php?id=153

I will set up a practice server for us tomorrow and hopefully we can get some practice time in. It should be fun and......interesting.

Oh, BTW, I used the image from the steam group for the gameshrine tribe. Is that OK? Who made it? Let me know if you don't want me using it, otherwise thanks!

edit: We will probably use the mumble channel or steam chat, not sure which. I prefer mumble.

AuralViolations
29-07-2012, 04:11 PM
I set up a secondary RPS server just to practice for the gameshrine 5v5. If anyone wants to come in and practice, please do so - but it is pathfinder only. Even if you aren't on the team, it always helps to have people to practice against too.

EU-Amsterdam
name: RPS practice
pass: shotgun

We are on mumble as well server.herosquad.org

Scumbag
29-07-2012, 09:34 PM
Just running on feedback from what people were saying on the server:

Auto-ballance will be implemented. Sorry for not setting this as I presumed it would be on, however thinking about how most custom servers are set up its kind of obvious why its not set on. Will be done so asap.

The following 2 maps will possibly be rotated out by requests:
Permafrost
Stonehenge

While I loved playing Permafrost for a while it became blatant that the map needs more balancing. While its nice the gen is more important then just being a place for people to just faff about, the fact it seems nigh on essential atm is rather bad and stalemate turtling occurs in ways that no number of tactical or orbital strikes can solve.
Stonehenge... its a classic map maybe, but something just feels a little wrong? Please give feedback on this. If enough people want it left in I'll leave it there.

Anyhow, thanks for turning up to all who did.

Skydancer
29-07-2012, 09:37 PM
Stonehenge has been scaled down from the original tribes: this means it's like playing on a childrens' playground, slopes too steep and too deep. Also, SENs rule the pitch.

CWalker
29-07-2012, 09:46 PM
Excellent sessions tonight! Especially on the practise server, I have no doubt we'll go far judging by our stupid antics there :P

deadly.by.design
29-07-2012, 10:45 PM
So if you have the time and want to save money (or just have the best deal), get a 30 day booster or even a 90 day booster (which is currently on sale). Purely by this numbers with 1 hour playtime a day a 90 day booster would yield around one million xp. That should be enough to get amost everyhing you desire for 30 USD and would leave you with 1600 gold to save and/or spent on other stuff like skins etc. Of course it would not give you everything, but there is plenty of stuff in the game you simply don't need. And almost nobody plays all the classes anyway.

I'm debating that, myself. My 90-day booster only has about 25 more days left, and my gold bank is around 1,700. I have most of the items and perks I'd want to unlock, minus maybe some kits or perks here and there. Not playing the Brute or getting weapons banned in comp also saves me some time. So, I'm not sure whether to jump on the 90-day boost at 1600g or just wait to daily deals. The downside of daily deals are the repeats, like you said, but also that items in bundles are not included (like throwing knives or twinfusors).

CWalker
29-07-2012, 11:28 PM
For the brave souls in our team, this video may be of help:

http://youtu.be/SBFXCExxZBo

And this guide may be helpful too:
http://www.tribalwar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=639266

Probably been posted before but whatever I don't play by the rules.

Skydancer
29-07-2012, 11:39 PM
As I said, I'm in for light D or light O.

DeVadder
30-07-2012, 12:00 AM
Now i am curious. What is the difference between a 5v5 route and a reguar route?

evilbobthebob
30-07-2012, 12:04 AM
5v5 routes are designed to be extremely fast to set up because you don't need to set up some ultra fast special route to avoid snipers.

CWalker
30-07-2012, 12:25 AM
The groups for the first stage of the tourney have been announced:

http://www.gameshrine.org/forum/index.php/topic,3171.0.html

The glorious RPS crew are in Pool H.

Notably, we've got heartbreakerz to deal with, who got to the final of the big tourney a while back. Not sure about the other teams, but BB are a subteam of ClutchEU, who I've heard of in the past, so I assume they'll be challenging? Someone who knows more about all this feel free to tell me I'm an idiot :P

Ritashi
30-07-2012, 01:11 AM
Well basically everything I know about how to play LT I learned from watching Miri's videos, and he's the captain of Heartbreakerz. Never heard of the rest of them, but still, that's a bit unnerving.

evilbobthebob
30-07-2012, 01:57 AM
Heartbreakerz are a very, very, very, very good team. Only idk are better, and that's only sometimes. If you want to get a sense of team ranking, check out the 7vs7 ladder here: http://www.gameshrine.org/ladder-standings.php?id=3
(http://www.gameshrine.org/ladder-standings.php?id=3)
Oh and ClutchEU is the team I'm on. BB is our 5v5 "A-team" of guys who are more serious about this tourney than Diskbait (the team I'm on).

deadly.by.design
30-07-2012, 02:56 AM
The Tribes community is pretty neat. Maybe I've just never paid attention to the comp scene of any of my other FPS endeavors, but it's fun to actually in the same games as some of the top-ranked players.

bonkers
30-07-2012, 01:30 PM
Yay, my first time being called a hacker in TA! :D
Playing defense soldier (spinfursor, thumper) in the Sunstar genroom with three or four INF coming in one by one all the time. Of course they never did anything wrong but I was still able to see them. Maybe simply not stand in the usual "herp-di-derp I stay here and then throw stickies at the gen because I am so smart" places? But most of them went silent after being told under which circumstances you decloak. For some strange reason people think a cloak is the "I win" button...

DeVadder
30-07-2012, 01:36 PM
I got called a hacker a few days ago when i joined Ritashi's game. Allthough i did pretty well, i think it was just somebody who had not read about twinfusors yet because he complained about my lack of reloading. Still enjoyed it a lot. ^^

deadly.by.design
30-07-2012, 02:32 PM
Yay, my first time being called a hacker in TA! :D
Playing defense soldier (spinfursor, thumper) in the Sunstar genroom with three or four INF coming in one by one all the time. Of course they never did anything wrong but I was still able to see them. Maybe simply not stand in the usual "herp-di-derp I stay here and then throw stickies at the gen because I am so smart" places? But most of them went silent after being told under which circumstances you decloak. For some strange reason people think a cloak is the "I win" button...
Yeah, it's great when you get hits on INFs when they think they're invisibling. Notable times are sniper rifle shots lined up to where they *should* be after cloaking, and similar times with anything explosive.

CWalker
30-07-2012, 05:06 PM
Heartbreakerz are a very, very, very, very good team. Only idk are better, and that's only sometimes. If you want to get a sense of team ranking, check out the 7vs7 ladder here: http://www.gameshrine.org/ladder-standings.php?id=3
(http://www.gameshrine.org/ladder-standings.php?id=3)
Oh and ClutchEU is the team I'm on. BB is our 5v5 "A-team" of guys who are more serious about this tourney than Diskbait (the team I'm on).

Yeah, I watched some of the esl final between idk and heartbreakerz, and it was a really close game. Even assuming we can beat the other teams, I think heartbreakerz and BB will probably get the better of us :/ Damn, that's a difficult pool for us.

deadly.by.design
30-07-2012, 08:00 PM
I bought the Light Spinfusor and absolutely hate it. It might start collecting dust once I get its last upgrade...

postinternetsyndrome
30-07-2012, 08:36 PM
That's how it usually works isn't it? The top teams get seeded with the newbies for more interesting later brackets.

Scumbag
30-07-2012, 08:52 PM
I bought the Light Spinfusor and absolutely hate it. It might start collecting dust once I get its last upgrade...

Light Twinfusor? If so, yep that's the worst of the lot. The soldier's one and the Jug's Heavy TF are rather nice, but the light one is a bit naff IMO. Too lightweight to damage most foes, yet too deadly when trying to boost oneself along.

NieA7
30-07-2012, 09:31 PM
I've found the Dueling spinfusor to be pretty nice, in some ways I prefer it as a chaser to the bolt launcher - reasonable damage and splash with good boost (egocentric's really handy) as compared to great damage, small splash and poor-ish boost.

Ritashi
30-07-2012, 09:46 PM
That's how it usually works isn't it? The top teams get seeded with the newbies for more interesting later brackets.

Ya, but BB wasn't actually seeded. Just a bit of shitty luck for us really, we've got a really tough group stage if we want to advance.

Bankrotas
30-07-2012, 09:47 PM
Ladies, all raider thingies for 7 euros on steam. http://store.steampowered.com/app/17096

Btw, I so start to hate automatic weapons...

Antares
30-07-2012, 11:40 PM
Light Twinfusor? If so, yep that's the worst of the lot. The soldier's one and the Jug's Heavy TF are rather nice, but the light one is a bit naff IMO. Too lightweight to damage most foes, yet too deadly when trying to boost oneself along.

I don't have it myself, but from my on-stand experience the cappers using this, while somewhat suffering in the dueling area, are beasts when it comes to clearing mines while going for the grab.

Other than that highly situational use (when's the last time anyone saw a stand not getting bombarded to crap 24/7?), I agree there's not much point to it, and it seems many other players do, too. Right after the update hit there were light twinfusors PTHs EVERYWHERE and now after only a few days I barely see any of them, if at all.

Squiz
31-07-2012, 10:24 AM
Ladies, all raider thingies for 7 euros on steam. http://store.steampowered.com/app/17096

Btw, I so start to hate automatic weapons...I might have bought that if the bundle came with VIP status and some gold.

Bankrotas
31-07-2012, 11:08 AM
Still don't have it?

deadly.by.design
31-07-2012, 03:09 PM
I might have bought that if the bundle came with VIP status and some gold.
I'm pretty sure that any "real money" purchase gets you VIP status.

On the Twinfusor discussion... I guess I just don't see myself trading in my SLD rifle or JUG x1 to shoot discs instead. I tend to go AR/thumper, primary/x1/handfusor. So, despite its low damage output, the Light Twinfusor seemed like the one I might actually use from time to time.

I might pick up the SLD Twinfusor if I ever get into Arena or something, but not while CTF is my main squeeze.

bonkers
31-07-2012, 07:09 PM
Would you recommend the Ghast Rifle? I fooled around a bit in training but I am unsure how it would perform in pub play. In general I shoot in small bursts so the higher damage per bullet might still come in handy as I reload frequently.

Squiz
31-07-2012, 07:19 PM
Still don't have it?You don't really need it to have fun with the game. Just be mindful about your purchases and you've got a lot of options.

NieA7
31-07-2012, 07:37 PM
Would you recommend the Ghast Rifle? I fooled around a bit in training but I am unsure how it would perform in pub play. In general I shoot in small bursts so the higher damage per bullet might still come in handy as I reload frequently.

Absolutely, for me the alternate Thumper and SMG for the soldier are just flat upgrades. Coupled with the short fuse 'nades it makes a great combo, I've been happily beating Raiders and even the occasional LMG Jug.

deadly.by.design
31-07-2012, 08:05 PM
Just picked up the Gast's Rifle today. Until I got my First Win that unlocked the +4 ammo per clip upgrade, it was pretty useless for me. The trouble is that I've yet to master the projectile speed of the SLD's rifles. I'm getting better, though, so the Gast's is looking like it will probably be my standard loadout. I've been using the Proxy 'nades, too, which are pretty handy.

Scumbag
01-08-2012, 12:02 AM
I don't have it myself, but from my on-stand experience the cappers using this, while somewhat suffering in the dueling area, are beasts when it comes to clearing mines while going for the grab.

Other than that highly situational use (when's the last time anyone saw a stand not getting bombarded to crap 24/7?), I agree there's not much point to it, and it seems many other players do, too. Right after the update hit there were light twinfusors PTHs EVERYWHERE and now after only a few days I barely see any of them, if at all.

Its possibly nice for popping mines and whatnot, but as you say its not really too hot for much else. My main gripes with each twinfusor is they seem to be the same across the board just with different damages. While I've not timed anything, the reload speeds and disc speeds seem to be the same regardless of which they are. Again I'm not sure if I'm making presumptions from the animations, but the light spinfusor seems to be really quick to reload compared to the sluggish reload speeds and firing of the Heavy / Devastator spinfusors (which seems to have a longer reload time then the animation suggests if I am correct).

Regardless, despite the look of the Heavy being a bit weird sitting over the X1, I personally still feel its a good sidegrade despite the Jug's main weapons being explosive also.

EDIT: I may change my tune on this slightly, just made a vid quick (to show how stupid I am to myself) just to compare these things. Gonna upload it to see if I'm being a moron.

Scumbag
01-08-2012, 09:53 AM
Righto, Not sure if I'm noticing much difference between the guns here:

http://youtu.be/FIvvJeQqLkY

Cant remember if the slight delay between the shots with the medium and heavy TFs is mechanical or my brain being slow, but the reload animations seem exactly the same, plus the projectile speeds seem to move at the same pace. There does seem to be a slight difference between the damage numbers, but not very large ones. The heavy is obviously the superior weapon when it comes to damage and I cant really tell if Hi-Rez simply thought "Light one is in the hands of a fast character, therefore its ok for the damage to be less" and that was that.
Dunno, I think the reload speed or projectile speed could be a little different between the weapons myself.

DeVadder
01-08-2012, 12:43 PM
I prefer the projectile speeds beeing similar. And also similar to spinfusors. Hitting with weapons in this game is a matter of much learning and gaining a feel for them. If the projectile speeds were too different, i would most likely hit nothing for a while after switching classes/weapons.

edit: I just saw, you are comparing to the heavy spinfusor. But it does not replace that one, the heavy spinfusor is quite clearly superiour to the heavy twinfusor as it deals more raw damage faster and easier to apply. The heavy twinfusor should be compared to the MKD, what also explains why it is so similar to the medium one.

Scumbag
01-08-2012, 01:29 PM
Before I talk more about Twinfusors or any other such things: We now have a subforum! Huzzah! Should this thread now be considered to be the "Tribes: General" thread from here on in?

DeVadder
01-08-2012, 01:39 PM
Subforum subforum subforum subforum....

We should now begin to make new threads for different topics, like weapon discussion, patches, server rules and whatnot.

I would suggest we call this thread legacy and shift discussions of all kinds into new threads to keep stuff more accesible and less menacing for new readers.

Scumbag
01-08-2012, 01:55 PM
Making a new thread regarding the server as we... type.

DeVadder
01-08-2012, 02:03 PM
first thread :P

Miker
02-08-2012, 06:03 AM
New PC is built, bring on the shazbotting!

noaru
02-08-2012, 10:44 AM
I've finally gathered courage to have a go at proper Pathfinding last night and tried to learn a route on Katabatic. First attempt was fail, I still can't figure out why I can't get the start right, but I did another one after and it was such a revelation. I realized a few things about proper usage of slopes and in-flight adjustments and so on... and the result was spectacular. Granted, I have to work at actually aiming properly at the flag, because most of the time I get carried away and miss the flag by a lot.

Do you guys have any suggested videos or tips about how/what to learn at first? Considering how many maps are in rotation now, it's a bit daunting...

evilbobthebob
02-08-2012, 12:46 PM
Make sure you have the Reach perk. It makes grabbing the flag much easier! There are a lot of videos about for cap routes. Just searching for "tribes ascend cap routes" should give you a lot of choice. I can't comment on quality because I don't cap myself. As for what to do first, just learning one solid route per map is good. Then try learning a couple more for the major competitive maps: Drydock, Katabatic, Crossfire, Arx Novena. By that point you will probably be good enough to formulate your own routes to some extent.

bonkers
02-08-2012, 02:02 PM
Do you guys have any suggested videos or tips about how/what to learn at first? Considering how many maps are in rotation now, it's a bit daunting...

Practice on the free roaming maps (this is still in, isn't it? Haven't used this for ages as came to the conclusion that I simply suck at capping. A lot). Also the target practice map is good to learn some timing and hitting things while going fast, usefull for clearing flag stands. Also there should be some videos on YouTube showing some basic capping routes.

Ritashi
02-08-2012, 10:07 PM
Thesmallkiwibird has a great series of videos with cap routes on almost every map, plus he has a bunch of videos of ego^ (his team) playing matches from his perspective (voice coms included), so you can watch how a pro capper plays in a real game.

CWalker
02-08-2012, 10:21 PM
RE thesmallkiwibird:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4CD6381DBA8A1ACC&feature=plcp (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4CD6381DBA8A1ACC&feature=plcp)

This is a good collection of his, though I'm not sure if it's still up to date, what with the impact nitron nerf. Still excellent for getting to know the general routine

Also it doesn't cover some of the newer maps, so search for them independently. Just typing "*mapname* route" into youtube should be sufficient.

Antares
03-08-2012, 06:44 AM
I don't know if this has been posted yet, but Hi-Rez just put up a raider pack on steam (http://store.steampowered.com/app/17096) and while I wouldn't buy it at full price, it's currently at a -50% discount and is actually pretty good value for your money even if you don't care for the skins. Well worth checking out if you like the raider or plan on playing it.

Ritashi
03-08-2012, 07:00 AM
Every route that worked with Impact Nitrons prepatch still works with them (though a very select few of the old routes became somewhat harder to run), however they land approximately 30 kmph slower than they would have previously. All of them can also be slightly adjusted to run with explosive Nitrons, some getting slower but several actually becoming easier and faster. When using explosive Nitrons (with maxed out egocentric, of course) you should use 2 explosive nitrons to maximize impulse gained per health bar (2 properly shot explosive nitrons leaves you at a sliver of health, which is exactly how you want to end up before your regen, and explosive nitrons have the highest impulse of any weapon available to pathfinders). There are a few rare routes where it's better to use one disc and one nitron (notably a few particularly finicky Stonehenge routes), usually because you need to get the jumps closer together than the throw time on a grenade. After your regen, some routes permit an extra Nitron or disc jump just before hitting the flag; this should usually be done with an explosive nitron, though if you're worried about a decent to good sniper then use a spinfusor disc instead (an explosive nitron from max health will take you below the 510 health threshold, the max a sniper can do with one shot, but a disc leaves you just barely above that margin). And of course you'll just generally be at low health, making you an easier target to chain down or chase, though the added speed helps to counteract that. Using that last nitron or disc jump is generally a situational/preference issue, and remember you can always do it after you have the flag if you want to. It's almost never a good idea to boost into the flag in 5v5 LT, if you ever play any of that.

Note that explosive nitrons are not always the best choice either. They give you the fastest routes, but some pros still use impact nitrons on small maps like crossfire to give them the versatility to be able to turn off a route and chase at the drop of a hat with proper tools. Explosives should be your go-to belt item, but it's ok to bring out impacts if you think the situation calls for it. Your routes will be essentially identical either way (with impact nitrons, you want 2 nitrons and one disc jump to maximize impulse, so the only challenge is finding the time for the extra shot). Using an impact nitron to boost yourself into the flag is also significantly cheaper in terms of health than an explosive nitron, though of course you can't do it after you pick up the flag.

Also worth noting is that when running with explosive nitrons you can take any primary weapon without worrying about your impulse, but with impact nitrons you'll gain the most out of either the light spinfusor or dueling spinfusor, with a slight impulse loss on bolt throwers (and an extreme one on the light twinfusor).

Oh, and some people will tell you to soldier cap in this patch. That's a load of bollocks, don't listen to them. There are times when it might be ideal to pull out a medium armor cap, but it's not most of the time.

noaru
03-08-2012, 09:07 AM
Oh wow, that's a great write-up, thanks for the advice! Thanks for the tips, everyone.

@bonkers Yeah, you still can roam any map locally with flags, turrets and everything (well, sans players :D which is good cause they'd be laughing themselves silly at my stunts)

Mohorovicic
05-08-2012, 09:21 AM
Oh, and some people will tell you to soldier cap in this patch. That's a load of bollocks, don't listen to them. There are times when it might be ideal to pull out a medium armor cap, but it's not most of the time.

Between the nerf to nitrons, 20% speed boost to fusor self-propulsion and the metagame of running several Sentinels per team, how is it bollocks? Setting up a route with SLD takes less time now, you can actually get the flag at decent speeds, and you might actually make it to midfield becore you die to volleys of Sentinel fire.

As for the Twinfusor, it's fun to use but bad. If you fire both disks at once it's pretty much impossible to hit with both because of the knockback and the need to compute two different paths of the target separately, and if you take your time to aim both disks the DPS drops way below that of the Spinfusor. Sure midairs are much easier, but there's nothing more depressing than scoring three midairs on a Heavy and then still getting stomped because the individual disk damage is so low.

Ritashi
05-08-2012, 06:32 PM
Soldier capping is bollocks because it just isn't fast enough. In pub matches, ya go for it, but in anything like comp or pug play it's not worth it. It's not only about what speed you hit the flag at, it's also about how fast your return routes are and how well you can deal with chasers. Sure a SLD is better against SEN, but a half-decent PTH will knock the flag off you with a compact nitron faster than you can sneeze. SLD has very little mid-air maneuverability, making them far easier to predict and hit with nitrons. Also, if the other team is running multiple SEN then they have at most 1 HoF and 1 chaser near the stand, and are d-stacking with that. Your offense should either kill the snipers, or ya you can SLD cap in that case because it counters their build. I didn't say never SLD cap, just that it's not a good go-to capping class. It is viable now in the correct circumstances, which it wasn't really before the patch.

Mohorovicic
06-08-2012, 06:13 AM
Comp is 7v7. Any argument based on "in comp" pretty much fails from the start because of this.

Ritashi
06-08-2012, 06:31 PM
Pubs are 16v16, any argument based on pub play fails because of this. 16v16 only works when at least half the team has no idea what they're doing and/or camp the gen room. It is not a real play format, it exists because it works for completely random teams seeded without regard to skill (rank has almost no correlation with skill, at least strategic skill). If there were any real kind of meta in 16v16, it would be a nigh-unbreakable d-stack. In pubs, you don't have a team 90% of the time. If you're lucky someone will handle defense (assuming you're a capper), but there is an incredibly slim chance that you'll find any offense willing to coordinate with you. Call vsaf, vtf, vff all you want, no one's listening or caring. You either get lucky and find a group to cluster the flag stand with, or every cap is a solo cap. The reason SLD works in pubs is that a SLD can run through a forcefield and eat a few mines without dying (and some sniper fire, though I can count the number of really good snipers I've faced in pubs on 1 hand), which a PTH can't. It's not because of how many people are on each team, it's because you simply don't *have* a team in pubs most of the time. Get a friend or 2 to run some timed offense for you, and see how much easier it is to make it home in PTH than in SLD.

DeVadder
06-08-2012, 07:37 PM
(...)
Get a friend or 2 to run some timed offense for you, and see how much easier it is to make it home in PTH than in SLD.

This.
And yet, allthough i almost never play Tribes without a friend of mine in voice comms, i still keep fatfinding half the time.
Just because it is so much more fun to fly a massive tank of a man at ridiculous speeds through other people. And because it still works. ^^

Ritashi
06-08-2012, 08:43 PM
Heh, like I said, SLD capping works - just that PTH works better. And while I have seen a heavy cap before, it almost never works against a decent PTH. Fun, yes, but not exactly effective :P

deadly.by.design
09-08-2012, 03:21 PM
I suppose it's a sign that I've basically unlocked all of the useful things by now, but it's pretty sad that my daily deals have become mostly skins and the less useful Accelerate update guns.

Mohorovicic
09-08-2012, 03:37 PM
Pubs are 16v16, any argument based on pub play fails because of this. 16v16 only works when at least half the team has no idea what they're doing and/or camp the gen room. It is not a real play format, it exists because it works for completely random teams seeded without regard to skill (rank has almost no correlation with skill, at least strategic skill).

So what you're basically saying is, any multiplayer game not played in an organized competition is not a "real play format"?

I don't know where you play, but in the 20-30 rank games I've played on Amsterdam, most players do know what they're doing. In fact, most of the games I've played were 5-4.

And I don't know what your "organized offense" consisting of 1-2 people wants to achieve against 3 or more sentinels scattered all around the enemy base or even in the midfield.

Jim9137
09-08-2012, 03:52 PM
It wants to "whee!" and hopefully "backstab". Hopefully with a sticky explosive device.

AuralViolations
09-08-2012, 05:12 PM
I suppose it's a sign that I've basically unlocked all of the useful things by now, but it's pretty sad that my daily deals have become mostly skins and the less useful Accelerate update guns.

I feel your pain. The skins aren't even worth it for the daily deal price. I would be tempted to buy a voice pack if it came up on daily deal, but they all suck so forget that.

deadly.by.design
10-08-2012, 03:58 PM
I know I'd been saying I might not get another 90-day booster, as my current one expires in ~10 days, but I may be changing my mind. Sure, most of the things I need to unlock are either Brute or completely for fun (like INF knives), but I don't know what else I'd spend my ~1700g on. That, and I don't know how long this 1600g 90-day sale will last.

Scumbag
10-08-2012, 05:58 PM
Maybe think of it as an investment for when (/ if?) they finally pull out the stops on the SEN or TNC patches.
That or unlock lightweight and the Brute and go for fatflying lessons.

bonkers
14-08-2012, 01:58 PM
I don't know what it is... I am thinking about selling my Tribes account on ebay and creating a new F2P one for the occasional fun.
Currently the game is not fun any more. More and more stuff keeps annoying me so that I am frustrated about game"design" decisions HiRez made. On 1 good and fun game come 10 in which I can only think "Oh no, not that shit again".

Perhaps it's the best way to try to get most of my money back with selling it (maybe even making some profit) and spend it otherwise. It was fun, but it is no longer. Global Agenda all over again.

AuralViolations
14-08-2012, 03:26 PM
I didn't know people even sold accounts!

Try something new. Play in PUGs, switch to a different game mode for awhile, or join a competition.

We've been having a great time practicing and playing for the 5v5 team, even without winning.

deadly.by.design
14-08-2012, 04:14 PM
I agree - try a new class. Maybe one that you were sure that you wouldn't enjoy.

Unless it's Brute. Sell your account before doing that. :p

deadly.by.design
16-08-2012, 02:26 PM
Over three months of playing and I just realized how & where the flag spawns in TDM.

CWalker
20-08-2012, 10:02 PM
Probably as good a place as any to mention my in game name is now NotTheMessiah. If you have a strange looking man in your friend list that wasn't there before, that'll be me! :D

Skydancer
20-08-2012, 11:42 PM
Oh no - this means my new signature will already be outdated :(

Scumbag
21-08-2012, 10:19 AM
Not sure where to fling this, and today(?) is supposed to be the patch day, but here is vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3JBUdvxDUE

The repair station looks nice (SHOTGUN IS NOW VIABLE!) though not sure about that new plasma thumper thing. Wish there was an indication of how much damage each shot does.
First I've been excited over cosmetics though. I WANT THAT BIODERM VOICE!

DeVadder
21-08-2012, 12:11 PM
That looks interesting. I want to try the new turret. It just looks so awesome. ^^

Bankrotas
21-08-2012, 02:00 PM
New turret is probably better for flag defenses.

CWalker
21-08-2012, 08:08 PM
http://forum.hirezstudios.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=313&t=87058&p=1077564#p1077564

New patch notes, apparently! Of particular interest are the buffs to Rage. Chasing is better yaaaaaaaaay

deadly.by.design
21-08-2012, 08:32 PM
Faster menu navigation? Not bad. Twinfusor buffs are fine by me. CTF Blitz sounds fun. Yay for Rage buffs.

I still haven't played Permafrost...

Scumbag
21-08-2012, 08:58 PM
Permafrost is generaly nice for the most part, but the gen reliance made the whole thing bloody horrid in most cases. The RPS server had it up for two days before it got took down due to every match turning into a stalemate where one side ended up turtling and the pathfinders unable to get any route setup due to the fact they more or less had to walk up to the flag and then boost away. If its not been fixed up we wont be putting it in rotation.

Sorry to all for tonight with the Rabbit server. I set the thing up earlier but have things to do. Just sods law I set the thing up with no damn maps set in the rotation. Should be working now.

Dominicus
21-08-2012, 09:02 PM
nope, didn't work for me. Might be due something at hi rez side though, as it showed maps and everything. It also forced me to America west server side all the time today....strange.

deadly.by.design
21-08-2012, 09:33 PM
Permafrost is generaly nice for the most part, but the gen reliance made the whole thing bloody horrid in most cases. The RPS server had it up for two days before it got took down due to every match turning into a stalemate where one side ended up turtling and the pathfinders unable to get any route setup due to the fact they more or less had to walk up to the flag and then boost away. If its not been fixed up we wont be putting it in rotation.
I'll have to check it out somewhere. I'm fine with occasionally turning maps into slug-matches, if only because reliance on über-fast capping kind of annoys me. Punt plays can more fun for the whole team.

Scumbag
21-08-2012, 11:32 PM
GAH! Sorry to all with the Rabbit night then, no idea what was going on. Hi Rez servers being Hi Rez servers, or Lemmington being a fool? All past now so sorry to all again.

There is a fine line between something becoming a bit of a slug match and there is having a huge map where everyone focuses on one small room filled with Brutes, Infs, Techs and Doombringers. At the moment its one of the worst Disco magnets in the game IMO, and thats coming from a Brute fan!

bonkers
05-09-2012, 08:16 PM
This might sound odd but as I was already thinking about it and currently am in dire need of money (car broke when I am broke. yay for timing...) I wanted to ask if anyone would be interested in buying my Tribes Ascend account. It's level 25+. has over 3000 gold and currently around 50 days of active booster time and over 500.000 unspent xp.
I was think around 35-40 USD, that would be around what gold + booster is worth. But I am also willing to negotiate. A bit ;)

AuralViolations
07-09-2012, 04:53 PM
http://www.teamwarfare.com/viewTeam.asp?team=Rock+Paper+Spinfusor

eh??

Outright Villainy
11-09-2012, 11:53 AM
Hi ho chaps. I've recently been getting into Tribes, and was looking for a nice old server, hence why I'm here. Is the server still fairly active? Are there good or bad times to jump on? I haven't been playing long, but even already i'm getting frustrated with the absolutely horrible levels of teamwork in random pubs. (so many slow caps. SO MANY.)

Dominicus
11-09-2012, 12:07 PM
Join the steam group and the event times are there. At non event times the server is mostly empty, but sometimes we go to a pub as a group.

Poppis
11-09-2012, 12:15 PM
The server is pretty much empty unless there is an event(check the steam group). The events themselves have also declined in recent weeks, but when people do show up, it's much more enjoyable than random pubs IMO. Hopefully more people will join us when the next patch comes.

Also get mumble (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?2515-README-Mumble-VOIP-for-Arma-2-and-other-games) if you don't have it yet, so you can hear your enemies cries of despair as you mow them down like wheat.

Skydancer
11-09-2012, 12:17 PM
http://www.teamwarfare.com/viewTeam.asp?team=Rock+Paper+Spinfusor

eh??

Lol! Think they got the same idea.

Outright Villainy
11-09-2012, 12:34 PM
Thanks guys, I'll join the steam group when I get home. I do have mumble, but I don't think I've used it yet. If its as easy as vent to use I should be on that too then.

Poppis
12-09-2012, 11:26 AM
Aand the patch is live. Video and changelog here (http://www.egmnow.com/tribesascend/tribes-ascend-update-marksman-version-1-0-1103/).

Some new events would be nice.

Torabayashi
12-09-2012, 04:11 PM
Has anyone messed around with the quickfusor yet?

AuralViolations
13-09-2012, 02:13 AM
Has anyone messed around with the quickfusor yet?

Yes. I missed a lot more than I would normally but it seems fun. Different. Maybe not too useful as the inheritance is different for everything else.

AuralViolations
13-09-2012, 02:16 AM
Aand the patch is live. Video and changelog here (http://www.egmnow.com/tribesascend/tribes-ascend-update-marksman-version-1-0-1103/).

Some new events would be nice.

I can play friday(I think) so set up an event.

deadly.by.design
13-09-2012, 02:13 PM
This HR forum thread (http://forum.hirezstudios.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=234&t=89373&st=0&sk=t&sd=a) goes out of its way to further explain the implications of 100% inheritance.

Neat graphs, too.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4416730/Ascend/Inheritance-Opposite.gif

TazzGo
13-09-2012, 07:34 PM
Newish here, will there be a game this Friday?

Poppis
13-09-2012, 07:52 PM
Yes, join the Steam group, all the events are there.

deadly.by.design
24-09-2012, 03:14 PM
Borderlands 2 has seriously lessened my compulsion to log in for daily first wins. That's unexpected.

As a result, my aim and mobility have suffered penalties of -2 and -3, respectively.

deadly.by.design
17-10-2012, 04:08 PM
I can't help but feel guilty, and then at the same time not feel guilt.

T:A captured my multi-player interest more intensely than anything in recent memory, while simultaneously scratching a long-neglected nostalgic itch. There are simply too many good games, free or newly-released, to keep me from logging in for daily wins. Well, that... and being away for 10 days and returning to busy life stuff.

I'm still down for catching the Friday events, though, when my work lets me out early enough.

Skydancer
17-10-2012, 04:42 PM
Yeah me too, plus the influx from various betas I'm in, have the same problem! I guess I'll be around if you need somebody for a pug or something though, just ring me on steam.

deadly.by.design
17-10-2012, 04:59 PM
Yeah me too, plus the influx from various betas I'm in, have the same problem! I guess I'll be around if you need somebody for a pug or something though, just ring me on steam.
I feel bad asking you how MW Online is in the Tribes thread, but... How is it?

I have yet to install it, and it probably won't happen for another few weeks.

Skydancer
17-10-2012, 11:52 PM
Enjoyable, but still a bit shallow

Poppis
18-10-2012, 02:28 PM
Yeah unfortunately the events(when somebody has the energy to put one up) are pretty much dead.

Scumbag
18-10-2012, 10:06 PM
Gah! Just as I get my screen sorted it seems things are on the decline.
I guess the friday matches are slow these days?

AuralViolations
18-10-2012, 11:44 PM
I've been slacking on posting and attending events lately. Busy due to lots of work and...x-com.

I am making an event for tomorrow now, but may not actually be able to make it myself again or I might be dropping in and out. I will be available(probably playing xcom unless I see others pop onto tribes).

I've been really into tribes TDM lately. Anyone interested in a night of that or arena sometime?

deadly.by.design
19-10-2012, 02:50 PM
I can't make this afternoon's event, due to busy work and a friend's wedding rehearsal, but hopefully will make the next!

Scumbag
19-10-2012, 06:59 PM
I've been slacking on posting and attending events lately. Busy due to lots of work and...x-com.

I am making an event for tomorrow now, but may not actually be able to make it myself again or I might be dropping in and out. I will be available(probably playing xcom unless I see others pop onto tribes).

I've been really into tribes TDM lately. Anyone interested in a night of that or arena sometime?

I may pop on also, but Dark Souls really is taking up more time then I anticipated. We shall see.

On the idea of an arena sometime: would be good. I actually started enjoying arena nights more then any other after a while tbh.

AuralViolations
19-10-2012, 09:22 PM
Looks like the server is expired. I was too to make the game anyway.

I will look into getting it up again for next week or so.

bonkers
21-10-2012, 07:18 PM
I feel bad asking you how MW Online is in the Tribes thread, but... How is it?

I have yet to install it, and it probably won't happen for another few weeks.

It's good. It still has a lot of rough edges and I really hate that there is only 8on8 TDM to play (more a fan of objective based modes) but overall it's very promissing.