PDA

View Full Version : Auto Fan Speed Adjusting by ATI Catalyst 12.1

squirrel
02-03-2012, 03:54 PM
You mates know if there is a function of ATI Overdrive, incorporated into Catalyst 12.1, can auto adjust the fan speed? Currently I manually set it to 50%, but sometimes if I play a game I may need to increase fan speed, but I cannot be in and out of the game just to operate the control center. I feel it kinda wired that it doesnt have this function.

celt
02-03-2012, 05:33 PM
There is such a setting, but it's not enough for me and I use MSI Afterburner to do the job.

Bungle
03-03-2012, 08:10 PM
Your video card's fan speed does adjust itself automatically. Feel free to follow my advice if your video card is overheating. If your video card isn't overheating, I recommend you leave it alone and let it regulate its own temperature.

You can flash your video card's BIOS to something with a more aggressive fan profile. If you do, http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/ would be the place to go. Also download Radeon Bios Editor. This is the best method for fixing your fanspeed profile, as it's permanent and automatic. No need to touch it again after you've flashed the BIOS. MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING BEFORE ATTEMPTING THIS. You can brick your video card if you mess it up.

You can also make different profiles in Catalyst Control Center aka AMD VISION Engine Control Center. It's been a really long time since I've had to do that, but I remember you could make different profiles with different fan speeds, then put shortcuts on your desktop to quickly change between profiles.

There are other ways to accomplish this - these are just the two methods I used to use several years ago before I pulled my head out of my ass and started buying video cards with factory-custom heatsinks already installed.

squirrel
04-03-2012, 05:14 AM
There is such a setting, but it's not enough for me and I use MSI Afterburner to do the job.

I also used to use Afterburner, too. It's just that I recently updated to Catalyst 12.1 so I want to try something directly issued by the GPU manufacturer. BTW since Overdrive is incorporated into Catalyst, I no longer have to manually turn it on like I had to do for Afterburner for every startup.

Your video card's fan speed does adjust itself automatically. Feel free to follow my advice if your video card is overheating. If your video card isn't overheating, I recommend you leave it alone and let it regulate its own temperature.

Actually I used factory assembled PC by Dell, which has a problem that fan speed is always by default set to minimum without manual adjustment. Result is temperature was always above 70 degree C even when the usage of GPU is between 0-1%. Technicians who helped to repair my machine told me that risk of GPU / CPU / motherboard damaging at this temperature is not that high since those manufactured these days are supposed to withstand this level of heat, which is pretty normal operational temperature. It's other hardware parts that may have problem when they are exposed to accumulated heat in the PC case. That's how my 1TB HDD broke down. When the technician removed it from my PC, he immediately identified that it's my fault for destroying it, as the paint on the HDD case melted down. It took two years for that Samsung HDD to be destroyed.

Bungle
07-03-2012, 08:54 AM
Forget all that noise. Flash your card's BIOS to a normal one and don't look back. And don't buy another Dell in the future ;)