PDA

View Full Version : Gaming with Windows 8 Consumer Preview

icupnimpn2
04-03-2012, 03:50 AM
Made the move yesterday from Windows 7 64 to the Windows 8 Consumer Preview. I'd been having some boot issues and could only get the computer going about once every five tries. I think I'd figured out where it was hanging but none of the fixes made it better. So thought I had little to lose with the switch.

As it is, my boot issue has disappeared. Probably a fresh Windows 7 install would've done the same, but this way I was able to keep my settings and programs.

So far I'm... okay with Windows 8. The Metro/Start view is neither here nor there on a desktop machine. It is pretty easy to navigate with the scroll wheel in lieu of swiping with a finger. But the value proposition just isn't there.

Behind the Metro layer is a desktop that works a lot like Windows 7. Some people are seeing performance improvements and network quickenings. Not sure if I have, though anecdotally I believe my framerate has improved in the Baconing (the benchmark of all benchmarks).

Anyone else go to Windows 8 this week? Impressions?

squirrel
04-03-2012, 06:00 AM
I wish I could try this out, but I dont have a backup PC powerful enough to install it.

My old rig is still a XP machine. I can't believe that I have aged.

SMiD
04-03-2012, 06:28 AM
I swapped my laptop hard-drive and installed 8 to get a fresh install and perspective. I'm somewhat impressed, although there are the things that scream "tablet" even though I've no touch interface. Still, for a preview, it's very stable and very... dare I say, fun. And Infinity Engine games work beautifully on 64-bit; just avoid installing to Program Files same as with Win 7.

Bungle
07-03-2012, 09:52 AM
I want to install Win8 just so I can play the Zen pinball game on it. I've played it on a tablet and love it. I will probably end up buying their DLC tables as well when the time comes.

icupnimpn2
07-03-2012, 03:57 PM
So far the system is running stable. Haven't had much time to game. Everything I've tried works so far, which is a plus. Even a bunch of 3rd party utilities and software work great with no changes (Fences Pro, PS3 Media Server, etc).

The only parts that have been unstable for me are the new built-in Metro apps. The mail app in particular is janky. The first 10 times I tried to enter my Google account info it just closed suddenly. Then it refused my login. When I created an application-specific password it finally let me in, but that forced me to turn on a layer of protection to my Google account that I hadn't felt was needed up to that point, and caused me to have to create an application-specific password for my Android phone before that would start working again.

Odeon
08-03-2012, 05:21 PM
Guh. What's up with those app-specific passwords anyway? I've ended up creating two different "profiles" for my single Android phone because when I re-installed Win7 recently, I couldn't access the existing one at all. The most annoying thing is that they don't seem to do a single thing that I can discover and trying to find information about the full purposes and benefits of app-specific passwords is nearly impossible. Reading Google's Help articles is anything but helpful when it comes to those.

Anyway, how much drive space is taken up by your Win8 install so far? Is it relatively close to Win7 in size or does it use more or less drive space?