PDA

View Full Version : Network issues playing online FPS

Ironclad
07-03-2012, 03:22 PM
Hello,

when I try to play online FPS such as Tribes Ascend or even UT2004 demo, the wireless will stop all outgoing and ingoing internet traffic after about 20/30 minutes. This is the case for every computer on the network. Everyone can still connect to the linksys but it doesn't send data to or from the internet. The only solution is to reboot the router.

Interestingly, it doesn't have this issue with multiplayer Starcraft.

The model is a Linksys WRT54G version 7.

How do I fix this issue?

Heliocentric
07-03-2012, 04:33 PM
Using wireless? Move your modem and router away from anything that uses electric (including the pc), even each other.

Not wireless check your background processes, have PMB.exe or other borderline malware? Are you sharing your connection? Maybe they are up/downloading alot, maybe torrents.

Who is your Internet provider? What is your tariff supposed to provide? Run a speed check, what is it really providing?

Do you understand ping? A low number is better, but avoid 0 it usually indicates an error.

Edit: RTS can handle lag very well because of the procedural nature of the individual actions.

Try not using wireless, even a crt monitor can knock the signal for six, not to mention microwave ovens.

Edit 2:edit harder:The nature of your issue indicates overheating to me blast dust out of it with a hoover or better still, compressed air and keep it off carpet.

Odeon
08-03-2012, 04:27 PM
If Heliocentric's suggestions don't help, your router may be dying. Test it by creating similar usage with non-game data. Try having the same number of PCs watch a number of 1080p YouTube videos at the same time. If the same issue crops up again, you'll want to be prepared buy a new router. You can try using all wired connections with the same test too and if the problem does not re-occur only the wireless portion of the router could be going out.

mentor07825
27-03-2012, 12:05 PM
Also ensure that the drivers for the hardware are up to date.

Beyond that I don't know anything more.

Bungle
27-03-2012, 07:47 PM
There are communities out there that distribute open source router firmware. You can try looking your model up and seeing if there is an open source firmware out there that is better than the stock one.

Odeon
27-03-2012, 11:31 PM
DD-WRT is the most popular third-party router firmware for Linksys routers and it's supposed to enable some great capabilities. Unfortunately, version 7.0 for the WRT54G is not supported, just like my previous Linksys router wasn't. This page (http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database) shows v7.0 as "not possible" under the Supported column, which seems odd considering every other version of the WRT54G is supported. Maybe they did something different in v7.0 that they reverted for later versions.

Still, there might be other such firmware options and if you're already have trouble with basic connections, it can't hurt to give them a shot.