PDA

View Full Version : Odd Issues With Fraps and Microphone Recording

lobsterentropy
14-03-2012, 02:44 AM
Hey there,

I've got a question dealing with recording PC games. I just spent the night with some friends playing through Mass Effect 1, which on a lark we decided to do a Let's Play type of thing and record ourselves playing it. I set up Fraps to record at half resolution to my enormous external drive and plugged my nice studio mic into my laptop, using Audacity to record that audio. However, now that I've compiled all the Fraps 4 gig video-chunks into proper hour-long videos I've noticed that somehow my Audacity microphone recordings are all longer than the Fraps videos by 10 or so minutes. None of the content is missing from either my recordings or my video files, and I can sync up the two files only to have them desync a few lines of dialogue later. They both seem completely fine (I even added up the lengths of the subsidiary Fraps files to make sure I didn't lose anything in the encoding) but no matter how I fiddle with it, my mic recordings seem slower and end up getting wildly out of sync. I've tried all of the tricks I know in Premiere (admittedly very few) but no dice.

Could anyone shed some light on this? (I'm running on a laptop with Windows 7 64-bit with an Intel i7 and a Geforce GT 540M graphics card and 6 gigs of RAM)

DVD773
16-03-2012, 04:15 PM
sounds like there is a discrepency between your record sample rate and your playback rate. Or less likely a diffrence in recording FPS vs the playback FPS. these missmatches will cause your syncing problems, eppsecially on long recordings. This is really not my area of expertise though. Find the missmatch and you should be able to alter your playback rate accordingly.