PDA

View Full Version : Brian Mitsoda of VtMB and Alpha Protocol fame thinks about kickstarting Dead State

Revisor
20-03-2012, 10:38 PM
Brian Mitsoda, he of the Vampire: Bloodlines (main story writer) and Alpha Protocol (creative lead for the first version) fame, thinks about kickstarting his (already playable) game Dead State about leading survivors through a zombie apocalypse. He's afraid of Kickstarter fatigue and wants to wait a bit before starting a funding campaign.

Waiting's not good in my opinion! Let's support him!
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,2482.0.html

Drake Sigar
20-03-2012, 10:41 PM
Dead State is my most wanted game this year. We've heard so little since the RPS interview, I was starting to think he'd given up on it.

kyrieee
20-03-2012, 10:45 PM
Alpha Protocol

lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyD62XH-Tl0

DaftPunk
20-03-2012, 10:49 PM
Alpha Protocol

lol

Let me guess,you think Mass Effect is one of the best RPG games out there x)

Revisor
20-03-2012, 10:53 PM
Alpha Protocol

lol
Please go shit in your own thread.
Kindly thank you.

Here is the interview Drake Sigar is talking about
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/08/25/a-blood-red-state-dead-state-revealed/

And here is another one, also from 2010
http://www.gamebanshee.com/interviews/99780-dead-state.html

Drake Sigar
20-03-2012, 11:10 PM
I get his concerns. On the one hand everyone has already shelled out for at least two projects recently, namely Schafer's adventure game and Wasteland 2. On the other, the Kickstarter floodgates are open, and I doubt there's going to be a suitable lull in the current for months, so maybe it's better to jump in and hope for the best?

*Shrugs* flip a coin. All I know for sure is I'd buy Dead State. I've read that interview a dozen times and your link has trapped me again.

Lambchops
20-03-2012, 11:13 PM
Hmm . . .

And this is where I start to get wary of Kickstarter's. I've read about Dead State, it sounds great and exactly the kind of thing i'd want to fund, plus I loved Vampire and thought Alpha Protocol did lots of things right and was overall enjoyable.

But . . . in the wariness box goes:

Unproven development studio (headed by someone whose worked on games which were, though both brilliant, rather buggy!)
Game that had a lot of publicity then completely disappeared off the radar to the point I'd forgotten about it.

Looking at the ones I've funded so far there was Double Fine's (studio that has released several games of good quality) and FTL (a great concept that intrigued me and once I played the OnLive demo I was sold).

So basically to finally cut to my point; to be willing to fund a studio without a track record I would have to play some sort of demo both to convince myself that this project is going to be completed and to see if I enjoy it. Funding blind is going to be, for me personally at least, very rare; I think beyond the Double Fine game the only thing I'd fund without something solid there would be sequels to LBA or Outcast!

So Revisor, I notice you mention it's playable - is there any way for the general public to get our mitts on this playable version? i obviously can't speak for anyone else but i'd imagine there would at least be a few people like me who would be wary of putting money down before at least seeing something solid, even if it is early work. I see the devs are asking about this in the post you linked to so to answer them, I would say that they need perhaps a small stripped down scenario that sums up the type of thing that you would see in the main game (I'd point them towards something like Project Zomboid's alpha tech demo (see this RPS article - http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/05/30/impressions-project-zomboid/), which was what encouraged me to put down a donation to get it made.

But yeah, still interested in the game and I'd definitely consider Kickstarting it.

Drake Sigar
20-03-2012, 11:54 PM
Indeed. We at RPS are a cautious and sexy people. I see Kickstarter primarily as a way to assist studios who're already established and trusted, but can't make the games they want because their creative freedom is being savagely curtailed by publishers.

And Alpha Protocol was the best RPG in the last five years.

fiddlesticks
21-03-2012, 12:22 AM
Everything Drake Sigar says is the absolute truth and I'd be willing to sell my vital organs if it means I get to play another game made by Brian Mitsoda.

Well, I wouldn't be able to play it on account of being dead, but I'd consider that a sacrifice for the greater good.

Lambchops
21-03-2012, 12:56 AM

I get the feeling that if I played Alpha Protocol again I'd remember it less fondly, but as it was I enjoyed it. In fact more than the balance issues and occasional bugs the one thing I wish they'd done is had the balls to dispense with the blatant in your face "reputation +/- 1" malarkey that blights these games. I felt that it had a great interweaving web of consequences and interactions based on reputation and I really think it was one of the few games I've played that could have happily got away with dispensing with such crude indicators. The outcomes of the conversations (supplemented by info in dossiers if you found them) were sufficient enough (I thought, anyway!) to tell what a character thought of you. I really wish they'd not rammed it home with the "obvious scale for those not paying attention" and left the player having to figure out the character's trustworthiness/motives etc, like, well, a proper spy would have to do!

Believe me, I only nitpick to that sort of degree when I enjoy a game.

Anwyay that's massively sidetracking from the point of the topic! So . . . .Dead State then, looks pretty nifty, eh?

Wizardry
21-03-2012, 01:04 AM
Knights of the Chalice was better.

Revisor
21-03-2012, 01:06 AM
Mr. Mitsoda is sweet. :)

In response to the suggested tiers:

Do you really want our autographs? Huh.
And

Yeah, the highest level will probably be all the swag + invitation to a launch party with some of the devs. I don't know why people would want to pay to party with devs, but the option will be there for the people willing to fund the top tier.

soldant
21-03-2012, 01:17 AM
And this is where I start to get wary of Kickstarter's. I've read about Dead State, it sounds great and exactly the kind of thing i'd want to fund, plus I loved Vampire and thought Alpha Protocol did lots of things right and was overall enjoyable.
My thoughts exactly. It's like the floodgates have well and truly opened and everyone sees the potential to acquire a large amount of cash without being held accountable by a publisher. I know that they're supposed to be "accountable to the community" if they fail, but that's not the same as failing on a publisher, with lawyers to muddy water.

Personally I'm not funding anything. If they end up producing something good, I'll buy it. But I won't fund its development.

deano2099
21-03-2012, 01:34 AM
My thoughts exactly. It's like the floodgates have well and truly opened and everyone sees the potential to acquire a large amount of cash without being held accountable by a publisher. I know that they're supposed to be "accountable to the community" if they fail, but that's not the same as failing on a publisher, with lawyers to muddy water.

I'd certainly be wary of putting in a large sum for those reasons, but for 10 I'm less bothered. I wouldn't risk it on a total unknown, but for an established studio/creator I don't mind.

Knights of the Chalice was better.

That's not an RPG.

Wizardry
21-03-2012, 01:37 AM
That's not an RPG.
I want proof of this.

Voon
21-03-2012, 04:44 AM

Complete with utterly broken gameplay! Besides that, yeah. One of the best I've played in years. Takes some time to get used to the gameplay and they did a fantastic job on the writing.

Better than DX: HR, actually

QuantaCat
21-03-2012, 07:42 AM
If you were to put up Alpha Protocol and Mass Effect against each other, though obviously not any single mass effect, but mass effect as a series, I think you will find that ME wins against alpha protocol, simply because the gameplay works heaps better, and in the end, you have the same amount of weighing decisions which made alpha protocol such a joy.

Of course, story and dialoguewise, thats another story alltogether. But for Conversations & Guns games, they are both quite good.

TailSwallower
21-03-2012, 11:09 AM
Well, Dead State is my most anticipated game of the past... well, ever since I heard about it. I will Kickstart the shit out of it once it launches. Minimum level to get the game, more if I'm interested in any of the other tiers and have money.

But I must admit, I will feel a lot more confident in my pledge if we see some actual gameplay footage.

Nalano
21-03-2012, 11:13 AM

Personally I'm not funding anything. If they end up producing something good, I'll buy it. But I won't fund its development.

It remains to be seen if there's any accountability at all. In the meanwhile, it comes as no surprise that there's a small army of prospectors rushing the joint once one guy declared that he struck gold. Now is probably not the best time to throw money down at any rate.