PDA

View Full Version : [Beta] [F2P] APB: The Reloadening

Flobulon
14-06-2011, 10:34 AM
Update 25/6/11

The RPS clan is up and running on EU2, criminal side! I've tried to add most of you to my friends list so I can find you online easily (I can't add you to the clan if you're not online). Feel free to drop me a mail in-game / message me or reply in this thread if you think I've missed you. In any case, I look forward to playing with you all in the near future!

Original Post

Alright, didn't see a thread for this already, so here's one. Any fellow RPSers playing the beta? I installed it a couple of days ago, had much funtimes.

I'm playing on EU2 Patriot atm, had very little lag. If we get enough peeps together maybe we can try making one of those fancy "clans"! Post name suggestions below! And your character name[s] and server[s] and faction[s]!

P.S Also I'd be happy to answer any questions from those who aren't playing but are thinking of doing so.

[Nephythys - Criminal - EU2 Patriot]

-Flo (brb making an old woman character called Granny Shotgun)

dan.
15-06-2011, 05:37 PM
I'm having a surprisingly good time playing this.

xxdanxx - Criminal - Patriot

As for clan names...

Crims:
Rock, Paper, Shotgun (what? It's a classic, and it fits!)
Rock, Paper, Stolen Car

Enforcers:
Rock, Paper, Stun Gun
Rock Paper, STOP! POLICE!

Flobulon
15-06-2011, 07:35 PM
Excellent, just added you as a friend. Yeah I too was surprised how much I enjoy the game; I briefly played the RTW beta and found it pretty horrible. As for clan names, some excellent suggestions there. Rock, Paper, Shotgun would be my preference, although it would be a bit of a shame not to have a pun in there somewhere! Hmm.

Heliocentric
17-06-2011, 08:24 PM
I am interested... I have no idea what server I would be on as I uninstalled it in a rage at being emailed $40 + guns.

cityfires
17-06-2011, 08:50 PM
I will gladly join a RPG clan. My character is "Ending" (Criminal), on EU2.

Flobulon
17-06-2011, 11:33 PM
Well, I went ahead and set up the clan and logo, just need people now :)

@Heliocentric: I've set up the clan on Patriot EU2, would be great if you could join us! May I ask what you mean by "being emailed $40 + guns"? I haven't received any emails from GamersFirst since I registered.

thegooseking
18-06-2011, 01:06 AM
So apparently I'm GooseKing on EU2 Patriot, bucking the thread trend and joining the Enforcer side. I just want to shoot you all. I'd never played before, but if I can get past the interminable load screens and stuttering, I think I might enjoy this.

See, if you'd gone Enforcer, you could have had a punny name like Cop, Paper, Shotgun.

Kelron
18-06-2011, 06:41 PM
I am interested... I have no idea what server I would be on as I uninstalled it in a rage at being emailed $40 + guns.

You can unsubscribe from their emails.

I have an enforcer on EU1 but I can make a criminal to join you lot. Will be called Kelron, unless duplicate names are restricted across servers.

JohnnyK
19-06-2011, 09:06 PM
JohnnyK77, EU2 Patriot, Criminal. Would gladly join the RPS guild, but don't expect me to be good at this.

BTW, did anyone else have an issue with character creation? I could click on different features but nothing would actually change, so now I just use the randomized character look the game gave me.

Comrade Commissar
19-06-2011, 09:44 PM
I'll probably join you guys once I've downloaded the client.
This takes AGES.

Davee
19-06-2011, 10:40 PM
I'm running with TF2-themed characters together with a few friends, as well a an enforcer, on Obeya (EU1).

Crims:
Heavy
Demoman

Enforcers:
Davee

Been playing APB since the original Beta back in RTW days. I'm usually not very fond of F2P games, but I really like what GamersFirst has been doing with the game. Most cars now feel great to drive, guns are more fun to shoot, better balance - It's way more fun to play now, overall!
However, I've been having some performance issues after the first Open Beta patches, so I'm not playing that much right now. Hoping for the SLI compatibility patch to fix it up later on.

Flobulon
19-06-2011, 11:30 PM
Hey guys, been a bit busy this weekend, and for some reason you can't invite people to a clan who are offline, so for now it's just me in the RPS Patriot (EU2) clan. That said, I should have a chance this week so hopefully we can get some criminalising in!

Tei
20-06-2011, 08:48 AM
I play from time to time. And I get a lot of fun from it.
I think I am playing on the Patriot server, character name ... probably Tei.. I don't remember. Enforcer.

Comrade Commissar
21-06-2011, 11:49 AM
Okay, downloaded the client, made a character and went through the tutorial.
My character is called "MrWeed", I am on the EU2 Patriot server and I am a criminal. Looking forward to mug some people and rob some stores with you guys.

JohnnyK
21-06-2011, 09:36 PM
My character is called "MrWeed",
You're the first RPSer I saw online, and I just grouped with you for a bit. WHile it was quite chaotic at times (and I seriously suck) it was quite a lot of fun for me.

Comrade Commissar
21-06-2011, 09:56 PM
Oh, that was you!
Now it all makes sense... :P

I am still a noob and until the today I didnt even know how to lean out of the window.
Next time I see you online we should try robbing some stores. :D

The game is a bit buggy at times and the people who got that AK-like weapon have got a clear advantage, but it's still a funny game.

Maybe we should look into some sort of voice communication next time. The game can be (as you said) quite chaotic.

Edit:

I love the editors in the game, theyre absolutely top notch.
I played a bit as an Enforcer today, made a fat, bald guy and wrote "1337 Patrol - Don't worry, we're from the internet" on my car. :D

Edit 2:

If you have trouble with the character customization, switch to "advanced mode". Quick mode doesnt work.

Kelron
21-06-2011, 10:52 PM
Maybe we should look into some sort of voice communication next time. The game can be (as you said) quite chaotic.

Definitely. Whether you're good at the game or taking it seriously or not, a little bit of voice chat and organisation makes it a lot more fun. The Arma 2 chaps host a Mumble server that they're usually happy to let people use for other games, I'll check it's ok before posting the details.

JohnnyK
21-06-2011, 11:25 PM
Yeah, my shirt says RPS as well; figured I'd make myself recognizable.

If anyone feels the need to comment - I am aware I have the designer skills of a 2-year-old. ;-)

Stijn
21-06-2011, 11:51 PM
I've recently been playing it for a bit again. I'm an Enforcer on Obeya (EU1), named Stijn. Not sure I'll be playing a lot, but I do remember how things got a lot more fun with a group of people from back in the OlDsKoOl APB days, so if there's anyone who wants to organize something I'm probably in :)

Looks like most people are on EU2, so I might just make a new character there.

Comrade Commissar
22-06-2011, 05:23 PM
Wow, Johnny.
Looks like you got a proper car already!
I'll be saving to buy me that Packer transporter. Good to move stolen goods and/or teammates. :D

Now that I think of it, I should remove the "Bad Motherfucker" tag on my T-Shirt and replace it with "Rock, Paper, Shotgun"

Alex Bakke
22-06-2011, 05:26 PM
Hmm - I guess I'll have to try this out again! I really wasn't impressed the first time around, but apparently it's improved quite a bit in the past few months.

Rakysh
22-06-2011, 05:31 PM
I'm in, just dling. EU2, is it?

Comrade Commissar
22-06-2011, 06:38 PM
EU2, yeah.

And I made myself some proper RPS gear, aswell as car decals.

Rakysh
22-06-2011, 06:42 PM
And should I prefer one faction to another? My heart says cops, but if everyone is playing robbers that's cool too.

JohnnyK
22-06-2011, 06:44 PM
Wow, Johnny.
Looks like you got a proper car already!
I'll be saving to buy me that Packer transporter. Good to move stolen goods and/or teammates. :D
I just bought the first available upgrade as the initial car is a snail. Money seems reasonably easy to ome bye, so I figure I'll have enough when the next vehicles(s) are unlocked.

thegooseking
22-06-2011, 08:41 PM
And should I prefer one faction to another? My heart says cops, but if everyone is playing robbers that's cool too.

Too many crims. I'm lonely on the Enforcer side!

Comrade Commissar
22-06-2011, 10:34 PM
I got an Enforcer character and a Criminal character.
I prefer to play as the criminal, though. Got more stuff unlocked and it's just hilarious to mug pedestrians.

I just bought the first available upgrade as the initial car is a snail. Money seems reasonably easy to ome bye, so I figure I'll have enough when the next vehicles(s) are unlocked.

Alright, I'll buy the Packer then. Having one guy with a fast car and one guy with a transporter seems to be alright.
We need to play tomorrow!

dan.
23-06-2011, 04:43 PM
Sorry I haven't been on lately, but my PSU died on me. However! I now have a new one, so I'm ready to continue being terrible with the Joker Carbine!

You get two character slots, so you can make one of each if you like.

Comrade Commissar
23-06-2011, 05:50 PM
Had a funny bug today that made me "deliver" stolen goods right after picking them up. This means I didn't have to bring them to the contacts to sell them. I got "instapaid" after picking them up. Collected 4000 $ of dirty money, got witnessed by two Enforcers when I was on my way to the Money Laundry and had a very exciting firefight for my 4000 bucks. Luckily I won it and delivered the money. :D

Bought myself the van and gave it a proper RPS look. I'll post Screenshots later.

Kelron
23-06-2011, 07:45 PM
For cars, I like the Han Veo as a first upgrade from the starter car. It's only $5000, has 4 doors and is really easy to drive. Still pretty slow, but at least it's faster than a wheelchair.

Flobulon
23-06-2011, 09:38 PM
Opted for a taxi car (Dalton Broadwing) myself, surprising good for ramming other cars off the road - reasonably fast and durable.

Comrade Commissar
23-06-2011, 09:55 PM
The Dalton is a great car. It's pretty fast for a beginner car.

But nothing tops the RPS van.

thegooseking
23-06-2011, 10:59 PM
Did someone mention the Broadwing?

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z404/fripobear/broadwing1_s.jpg
Yeah, I need to re-do the spacing of the letters in 'paper'.

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z404/fripobear/broadwing2.jpg

Comrade Commissar
23-06-2011, 11:17 PM
The RPS van, along with the RPS outfit. ;)

http://i56.tinypic.com/2cx83g1.png

Kelron
23-06-2011, 11:36 PM
Broadwing is my favourite car, although it's clearly designed to be more of a police car than a criminal one. You can literally send lighter vehicles flying with it. The vehicle changes are one of the biggest improvements over the old APB, with the exception of the very cheapest cars (<$5000), all the vehicles have their own niche and you can pick the one you like driving rather than feeling forced to use the most powerful. Same goes for the weapons, mostly.

dan.
24-06-2011, 12:19 AM
Pfft. Everyone knows the Patriot T-25 is where it's at. Also, I don't think I'm supposed to park here (http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/558658593908064395/FB46BD0687959AE94B5AC2C2975C60A31AA5D483/).

Comrade Commissar
24-06-2011, 11:09 AM
Kelron, you're right about the Broadwing being able to send other vehicles flying. I was driving around in my RPS Van yesterday, when some idiot Enforcer started pushing me off the road. Everytime he hit me from the side my van was flipped and landed either on the roof or on the side, even though one should think the van is heavier than the Broadwing.

Comrade Commissar
24-06-2011, 02:02 PM
I've got a question for you guys.
What weapons do you use and did you buy a premium account or not?

Kelron
24-06-2011, 03:37 PM
I don't really plan on paying for the game unless they can come up with something more reasonable. Currently it's about $25 for a car, $5-10 to rent a gun for a month or $50 to buy the gun permanently. The sub fee is $10/month in beta and supposed to be going up to $15, which is pretty steep compared to other F2P games, as you're only buying bonuses and not access to the game itself.

Weapons - can't really make my mind up, but I've mainly used the STAR, N-TEC and ALIG. The shotguns seem pretty bad compared to the SMGs, although oddly for a computer game they have a higher effective range. I've been using the Colby PMG on my new criminal character, it's a lot of fun in Financial but I don't think it would be much good in Waterfront. Haven't even tried the OCA yet, which seems to be the weapon of choice for anything close quarters.

JohnnyK
24-06-2011, 03:47 PM
Still using the initial guns as I do not seem to have anything else unlocked (like any of the stuff others use to one-shot me constantly). I'm a really bad shot though, so I don't think it makes a difference.

Kelron
24-06-2011, 03:59 PM
Not sure if the tutorial explains this, but make sure you pledge to different contacts to unlock new weapons and upgrades. Press J and go to the progression tab to see the different contacts available for each faction. Double click on one (that's in your district) and you can see what unlocks they offer and pledge to them.

Each side has 2 factions, each faction has 2 upgrade paths. One unlocks vehicles and vehicle mods, the other unlocks weapons and character mods. Reaching milestone numbers of kills with specific weapon classes unlocks weapon mods and upgraded versions of those weapons, you can see these on the roles tab.

Progression guide:
http://forums.gamersfirst.com/index.php?showtopic=135319

JohnnyK
24-06-2011, 04:10 PM
Yeah, pledging is the first thing I do after I log in (kinda sucks this doesn't stick); I already maxed out Stega and am now working on Suji, but I don't think this has so far unlocked any weapons.

Flobulon
24-06-2011, 04:11 PM
Colby PMG has been my weapon of choice mainly, although LMGs are brilliant for vehicle missions (they can take down a van in about 2 seconds sustained fire). Haven't paid for anything yet.
Make sure you're pledging to contacts with weapons if that's what you're after.

Kelron
24-06-2011, 04:43 PM
Yeah, pledging is the first thing I do after I log in (kinda sucks this doesn't stick); I already maxed out Stega and am now working on Suji, but I don't think this has so far unlocked any weapons.

See the link I posted, it lists the unlocks for each contact. Strega and Suji unlock vehicles. Try Veronika Lee and Britney Bloodrose to start unlocking weapons.

JohnnyK
24-06-2011, 05:01 PM
Yeah, I read that after you posted. Guess that's what I get for not reading this stuff before playing, silly me.

Thanks for the help, guys!

TheBlobThing
24-06-2011, 06:12 PM
I'm downloading this right now. Will give it a shot and will try to find you guys in game.

Harlander
24-06-2011, 08:49 PM
I've got two characters: LadyHeliotrope, a criminal on Patriot, and Telasnikov, an Enforcer on the other one

Comrade Commissar
24-06-2011, 09:08 PM
I was thinking about buying a premium account for one month, as it really sucks that the limitation on decals for your car is so extreme for a free account. I can't design something decent and the XP and money bonus you get would be welcome aswell.
I think I'll try the burst fire rifle you unlock from Teri Quan, as it seems to be pretty decent.

Another question: Did the ARMA guys respond to the question wether we can use their voice com?

P.S.:

Sexual offenders are everywhere!

http://i53.tinypic.com/2mnelud.png

http://i54.tinypic.com/16lwopd.png

Kelron
24-06-2011, 10:49 PM
RPS Mumble (www.mumble.com) server:

IP:46.105.98.126
Port: Default (64738)

There's an APB channel for us to use.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?533-Unofficial-Community-Mumble-server

Comrade Commissar
25-06-2011, 01:16 PM
Never used Mumble before, but I just finished setting it up and registered on the server.
Looking forward to hear from you guys (Even though I will most likely annoy you with my german accent.).

Xerian
25-06-2011, 09:52 PM
Right, lads. Been playing this for a decent while (60+ hours on my enforcer) And deleted my old criminal to make a new one on here as soon as weed told me some of you lads played. My badass, criminal femme-fatale is named Kaelynn. Hope to see you online! (And when it comes to weapon preferences, mines abit scattered. Everything from several of the snipers - OBIR being one of my favorite sniper-ish weapons, to the joker carbine and the N-TEC. Luv 'em.) Will post screenshots of my character and my BADASS... Oh, crap. Aint gotten a car yet. Well, of my character as soon as I get some decent shots ;).

Comrade Commissar
26-06-2011, 09:40 PM
Representing RPS on the streets.
It's the RPS Pimp Van Reloaded.

http://i51.tinypic.com/2j3pi8n.jpg

http://i54.tinypic.com/mhbq7a.jpg

What do you think?

Also:

What do you guys think of introducing some proper clan wear? See the sweatband my character is wearing around the arm? I suggest we all wear one. ;)

Xerian
26-06-2011, 10:19 PM
If we are to get clan-wear, I'd say it should be more than simply the RPS logo, it should be a logo in itself, something detailed... Atleast, if we ever make clan-wear a -MUST-, then it needs to be thoroughly thought-out and such, but I dont mind slappin' the RPS logo somewhere on my femme-fatale, perhaps on the butt? Mmm... Yummy. RPS butt.

Flobulon
27-06-2011, 04:11 PM
I like it, MrWeed! Glad the "RPS on tour" is still there, always makes me chuckle. As for clan wear, I'm fine with anything that isn't too intrusive (i.e a full-body uniform). The armband is a good suggestion.

JohnnyK
27-06-2011, 04:52 PM
* Can the design be shared? Or can you sell your self-designed stuff via the AH?
* Is anyone actually in the clan? Every time I was online noone was there to invite.

Flobulon
27-06-2011, 05:00 PM
* Yes
* Yes - 5 of us at the moment I believe. Not sure if I'm the only one who can invite at the moment, but I think it's just been a case of bad luck in us not being online at the same time.

Kelron
27-06-2011, 05:24 PM
You should be able to set it so any member can invite.

I made something that looks pretty much like the RPS logo, but I'm not sure how to make the shading look right. Using the gradient effect in game makes it too dark at the bottom so you can only see half the letters on a car.

Comrade Commissar
27-06-2011, 05:30 PM
The shading is impossible to achieve, I think. I just made it white and added an outline. If you want my designs, just say a word. I split the RPS logo into 2 parts, though. One being "Rock, Paper" and the other being "Shotgun".

JohnnyK
27-06-2011, 05:33 PM
MrWeed, I'd buy your hoodie :)

Cooper
27-06-2011, 05:43 PM
Haven't played APB for a while, still struggling with major stuttering gameplay issues. Had myself a rant here:
http://forums.gamersfirst.com/index.php?showtopic=181609

Until this is fixed, I'm gonna keep out of APB. I'm happy to slog through these issues as a beta participant, if me doing so seems to be providing any help. But with zero feedback on the issues from G1, my perserverance feels pointless.

Only game where poor performance has made me want to rage quit, I'm getting killed because of screen-freeze far too often for it to be fun. Shame though, as I was really enjoying it for a while.

Flobulon
27-06-2011, 05:52 PM
That's a shame, but I can imagine it is incredibly frustrating to play like that. Unfortunately I think you may be right in your suggestion that the only thing they want testing is their marketplace...

Comrade Commissar
27-06-2011, 06:52 PM
I think I found a way to display the shading properly, but it exceeds the maximal ammount of decals in the designer. It will work for anything smaller, though. Just drag your image into the work space, make it white, duplicate it, make the copy black and select "Gradient down/up". Now duplicate that, make it black and select "Outline". And you should have a nice shader effect.

And about the hoodie:
Meet me ingame and we will work out how to trade it. (It has a picture on the back, too. It's a white lion with red outlines on a black ground, along with some badges. I'd remove that for you.)

Kelron
27-06-2011, 08:05 PM
You can use existing symbols as part of other symbols in the designer, might be able to get around the limit by doing a word at a time like that, without using more than 1 symbol when you place it on clothing and cars.

Comrade Commissar
27-06-2011, 09:21 PM
I might try that.
Besides, why is there no one on the mumble server?
I keep camping the APB channel but no one has logged on yet.

Kelron
28-06-2011, 12:06 AM
You can use existing symbols as part of other symbols in the designer, might be able to get around the limit by doing a word at a time like that, without using more than 1 symbol when you place it on clothing and cars.

Tested this and it doesn't work, unfortunately. Would be nice if there was a way to group layers together, but I guess that would undermine one of their ways of coercing you into paying for premium.

TheBlobThing
28-06-2011, 09:59 AM
So, I've been meaning to have a play at this, but I haven't managed to progress further than the tutorial because it's a bit boring really.

How does clanmembers work together? What kind of missions can one expect? In short: how is this game fun? Why should I progress through it?

I'm not trying to be arrogant, just a bit cautious about throwing my time away with a game that's received quite a bit of negative press.

JohnnyK
28-06-2011, 11:00 AM
How does clanmembers work together?
If you play with me - you get shot at a lot, cannot expect me to hit anything, and die a lot.

If you play with decent players - the missions involve multiple stages where you mostly have to defend or attack certain objectives; the more players in a group, the better, really.

Harlander
28-06-2011, 11:39 AM
When you get assigned a mission, you'll either be trying to fulfil objectives or trying to stop the other faction from fulfilling theirs.

The stages tend to be things like:
Get something and take it somewhere else / stop them from getting the thing somewhere
Go to a place and do something to it / stop them from doing the thing to the place
Hold a landmark / hold the landmark
Kill the other team lofts of times / kill the other team lots of times

Kelron
28-06-2011, 12:29 PM
Having an organised team makes a world of difference. The maximum group size is 4, although you can have larger teams on a mission by calling backup. In a typical random group, everyone will be using their favourite weapon and relying on their own instincts. You'll still do well if you're a good player, but no one's going to tell you if they spot enemies coming up behind you, and people often end up attacking one by one and dying rather than waiting to regroup.

If you're working together properly, you can choose weapons to suit the situation - maybe one person with a high powered sniper rifle, another with an accurate assault rifle and two with shotguns or SMGs. Two snipers working together can kill a target before he can run for cover. One SMG user can distract a target and keep him behind cover while the other runs up behind him. 3 or 4 people working together are easily worth 5 or 6 disorganised players, even if the skill levels are roughly similar.

Xerian
28-06-2011, 01:38 PM
To be fair, even "Immensely epic omg omg" MMO's such as WoW, for one, has alot of trouble similar to this for thousands of players, and do nothing but blame the hardware companies. But yeah, its always a pain to have some sort of game-breaking glitch, bug and whatnot. One can only hope it'll be fixed at some point :|

Kelron
28-06-2011, 01:56 PM
I've got about as close as I can be bothered to get with the logo. The font's still off but there's not much I can do about that. Made the shading lighter by duplicating the letters in white then making it transparent, opacity somewhere between 30-50 seems about right, the final result varies by the colour you're putting it on, but it looks darker than it does in the designer on anything.

http://i.imgur.com/mS5fz.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/8vy5r.jpg

Decal limit means I can't have the full logo on the back, because I had to split it into 2. I should be able to mail these logos to anyone who wants them, perhaps if someone does decide to buy premium they could make a uniform for us.

Comrade Commissar
28-06-2011, 02:54 PM
Ha, I love it how we had the same idea.
Before buying the hoodie I had a knithat with a crosshair on it, just like you. :D
And I cant be arsed to do the shading on the letters, as I think its pointless and takes away the ability to make outlines.
The shading just looks awkward in game. You did a good job on making the letters oblique, though.

By the way... I was really thinking about buying premium for one month, just to test it. And I think I'll do. Excpect me upgrading to premium in a few days and then making some RPS gear.

P.S.:

Apart from Johnny, you are the first RPSer with a male character I saw.
Im usually driving around women only...

TheBlobThing
28-06-2011, 03:11 PM
Alright, I'll try to make contact with you guys tonight or tomorrow.

JohnnyK
28-06-2011, 03:13 PM
I was planning on making a three-boobed chick la Total Recall but the character creator didnt let me change anything when I made the char. :(

Comrade Commissar
28-06-2011, 04:11 PM
Mhm, you need to switch to advanced mode for proper character customization.
Quick mode somehow doesn't work.

I read about you not being able to customize your character a couple of pages ago, and when I finally installed the game and wanted to make my character, I was shocked to experience the same problem.
But then the option of switching to "Advanced" mode caught my eye. I gave it a try and it lets you customize your character very good.

And by the way, you can still change the look of your character by going to the tattooist in Social. It's the same editor as in character creation.

Kelron
28-06-2011, 04:19 PM
Lettering is pretty easy to do. Drop all the letters into the symbol at default size then select them all. That way you can resize and skew them all together and put some temporary lines in to position them evenly.

Comrade Commissar
28-06-2011, 04:57 PM
Thats the same way I do it... ;)

Flobulon
28-06-2011, 05:41 PM
Gah, why did I never think of that! No wonder my lettering always looks like a child's best effort.

Xerian
28-06-2011, 06:01 PM
Mhm, you need to switch to advanced mode for proper character customization.
Quick mode somehow doesn't work.

I read about you not being able to customize your character a couple of pages ago, and when I finally installed the game and wanted to make my character, I was shocked to experience the same problem.
But then the option of switching to "Advanced" mode caught my eye. I gave it a try and it lets you customize your character very good.

And by the way, you can still change the look of your character by going to the tattooist in Social. It's the same editor as in character creation.
The simple customizer is only for randomized characters, where you choose age, skin colour, etc - And click randomize. Nothin' broken about it, although there ought to be a few hints and such, for the customizer. And you know weed, you can make your ideal RPS logo and share it with the entire clan - Cause we'll be able to use the symbols and such (whereas premium can make more advanced symbols, cars clothing etc - and yet share it with a none-premium whom can use it)... Its rather lovely really.

Xerian
28-06-2011, 06:05 PM
Gah, why did I never think of that! No wonder my lettering always looks like a child's best effort.
Well, its not your fault as much as its the fault of G1 (and RTW back when they had the game up 'n' running), as theres just about no friggin' hints in about the designer and such - So it takes a while to figure it all out on your own, (They really should have a thorough-ish tutorial for the character customizer aswell as the symbol designer and such.) But, I'm quite sure they'll have decent tutorials for both once the game goes live-live, or atleast some hints for 'em ;)

TheBlobThing
29-06-2011, 06:46 PM
I've been trying to run around doing missions now, post-tutorial. But I get absolutely wiped out every time. What's a starter gun going to do against grenades, and special weapons?

Is there no matchmaking?

thegooseking
29-06-2011, 08:17 PM
I've been trying to run around doing missions now, post-tutorial. But I get absolutely wiped out every time. What's a starter gun going to do against grenades, and special weapons?

Is there no matchmaking?

You should have got grenades in the tutorial missions. Check your email for attachments. The starter gun isn't actually at all bad, but it's still worth trying out others.

There is matchmaking but it's yet to be fixed properly, so it doesn't work very well. (It's going to be fixed by putting people of similar threat levels in the same districts, if I understand correctly.)

Kelron
29-06-2011, 10:42 PM
The STAR is actually a very good gun, but learning to use a weapon effectively is something that really only comes with game experience. It's perhaps less suited to solo matchups, which is unfortunate for new players trying to learn the game by themselves.

The hardest thing I found for me starting out was dealing with people with closer range weapons who'd rush me and kill me quicker than I could respond. On some missions the only way to counter this is to switch weapon yourself, if the objective is in alleys and buildings. In more open areas you need to identify 3 main things: the ways in to the area; the available cover; any well placed corners or rooftops. If you can see the enemy coming you're already at a big advantage, use the camera to look over and around cover and hopefully get the jump on them. Over time you'll learn to recognise the best range to open fire at so they can't escape or kill you first. A big part of good play is positioning yourself to fight on your own terms in terrain that suits you.

I think matchmaking works well once you have a decent number of missions under your belt, but it takes time to balance out and doesn't account for what you've unlocked, only your threat rating. When I started a new character I was getting matched a lot against other new characters who were clearly new players too, and winning easily because experience and map knowledge counts for a lot compared to pure shooting skill. Now my threat is staying Silver 6, which should make me an almost exactly average player (there's bronze, silver and gold levels 1-10). I win some matches, I lose some matches but they're generally fairly matched and truly frustrating ones are rare.

dan.
01-07-2011, 02:57 AM
I took some screen (http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/559787028438588560/54D031E86A33FE5FEDC6A92EF2AF9CD74B4A0FE6/) shots (http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/559787028438586877/4DAB71E2A85F717CE8E424424F7D27D892C57784/) of my new (http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/559787028438587737/125D6C5526C25CE8A0D80C3487518FDD5DF29E94/) tattoos (http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/559787028438589349/E313A7A21806D9DED1F2CC2A7E15DEF25D48D479/).

Xerian
02-07-2011, 07:16 PM
I took some screen (http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/559787028438588560/54D031E86A33FE5FEDC6A92EF2AF9CD74B4A0FE6/) shots (http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/559787028438586877/4DAB71E2A85F717CE8E424424F7D27D892C57784/) of my new (http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/559787028438587737/125D6C5526C25CE8A0D80C3487518FDD5DF29E94/) tattoos (http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/559787028438589349/E313A7A21806D9DED1F2CC2A7E15DEF25D48D479/).
They're quite nice, good job! - I myself still havent unlocked any decent symbols. Sigh :<

Comrade Commissar
02-07-2011, 07:38 PM
I havent seen anyone playing APB for ages now...
In case you'd like to play with me again, feel free to add me on Steam. I'm always online.

Steam ID: mrweed_93

Kelron
02-07-2011, 09:37 PM
Can't find you on Steam, easiest if you just link your profile. I've been playing but no one's ever online at the same time.

Flobulon
02-07-2011, 09:45 PM
I for one haven't been on as regularly as I could have, simply because I find the game a little too repetitive to play on a regular basis. I should still be popping in from time to time, but I've made MrWeed clan leader for practical reasons.

JohnnyK
02-07-2011, 10:37 PM
Didn't have time to get into it this week; I only ever played for short periods of time, and APB is ill-suited for that. I'll probably also not play much next week as I will be out of town for most of it, but I do plan on getting back into it after that.

Comrade Commissar
03-07-2011, 12:49 AM
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198005064756.png (http://steamprofile.com)

My steam profile.
And thanks for promoting me to clan leader, I guess.

JohnnyK
03-07-2011, 08:51 AM
Can't find you on Steam
Worked for me with mrweed_93 - just make sure you do not have a superflous blank after the name.

Flobulon
03-07-2011, 12:54 PM
[url=http://steamprofile.com]

I should have consulted with you first, apologies. Feel free to make whoever you want the clan leader, I'm not sure who the most active player in the clan is.

dan.
03-07-2011, 04:06 PM
I was on yesterday, for a while, but eventually ragequit after getting steam rolled eight times in a row. 'Tis a strange game - one day I can be (relatively) amazing, the next I'm farging terrible.

Kelron
03-07-2011, 05:45 PM
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198005064756.png (http://steamprofile.com)

My steam profile.

Found you now. For future reference I meant the link to your profile page, e.g. http://steamcommunity.com/id/kelron is mine.

Comrade Commissar
03-07-2011, 05:59 PM
Oh, I thought the badge included a link to my profile page, sorry. :P