PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Strategy Game Factions

Drinking with Skeletons
27-03-2012, 08:16 PM
I say the Trilarians from Master of Orion 2 deserve some love. They have two subtle but potentially significant bonuses--Trans-Dimensional and Aquatic--and their design always made them seem really friendly and pleasant, in spite of being naked, gnarled, tentacle-faced creatures that would probably be stabbed repeatedly on-sight by most people.

What are yours?

SMiD
27-03-2012, 08:37 PM
In the name of Kane!

Nalano
27-03-2012, 08:46 PM
In the name of Kane!

^---- Thiiiiiis

Heliocentric
27-03-2012, 08:51 PM
The Zuul changed Swords of the Star more than any other Expansion content, before the Zuul every species slowly grew stronger, technology, planets, defences, economy.

But not the Zuul, these guys hungrily devoured their planets leaving behind dry husks and needed to push on, it was conquest, or starvation for them. The resulting shift in the politics would force people into uneasy alliances with the Hivers (the ultimate slow burn species in sots) because they could slow the Zuul down, but once the Zuul collapses (or devour a people) the power vacuum is palpable. Quickly, gather the scraps of that fallen empire, or you might be next. And then the ultimate irony, turning to the Zuul with bribes of planets to desperately get their assistance against the Hivers you gave too much breathing room.

Yeah, messy.

Other Strategy game sides?

Parthia in Rome: Total war Horse archers are cheese in game, but lets be fair, it was cheesy in real life too, cheaply trained elite troops who can out shoot and out manoeuvre, and once you run out of arrows? Just flee the battle and attack next turn :D

When you finally conquer Egypt, Rome and Carthage you can rest.

The Spartan Survivalists in Alpha Centuri, they are by no means the best faction, but this means you need to get out there and make "peace" that you control, nip everyone's ankles, steal their technology, or get left behind.

Does sacrifice count? I guess, the God that the most honest was undoubtedly the best, Charnel's units were all vile abominations, but they were also perfectly at peace with that, all the other gods were occasional hypocrites but Charnel wanted the world to exist so suffering could continue. Even the spells he supplied you with expressed that, the raise dead spell did not protect them from harm while their bones cracked back into place, they could die while they rose, but rise they would.

The leech was the first Charnel unit you got, but like all units in sacrifice they didn't stop being useful just because they were low tech, bleeding the mana out of the enemy wizard was a key step towards victory.

Nalano
27-03-2012, 08:53 PM
Academician Prokhor Zakharov

Heliocentric
27-03-2012, 08:55 PM
Academician Prokhor Zakharov

The turtles choice.

Berzee
27-03-2012, 08:57 PM
Always liked the Norse from Age of Mythology for their sensible notion that even though you are a foot soldier, it does not mean that you are exempt from menial labors such as building construction.

Sarlix
27-03-2012, 08:58 PM
Sardaukars from Dune II

Nalano
27-03-2012, 09:01 PM
The turtles choice.

Fine, fine. Chairman Sheng-ji Yang!

The scientist sits in his ivory tower and out-techs everybody when unchecked, but the despot simply out-peoples everybody when unchecked.

Drinking with Skeletons
27-03-2012, 09:03 PM
The Vinci in Rise of Legends. Clockwork men? Air fortresses? Giant mechanical spider!?

Giant mechanical spider.

Honorable mention to the Cuotl: orbital lasers and black-hole robots (?) vs. musket-men.

QuantaCat
27-03-2012, 09:44 PM
You say KANE, but I say YURIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII.

And of course, "Can I have some shoes?"

The Vinci in Rise of Legends. Clockwork men? Air fortresses? Giant mechanical spider!?

Giant mechanical spider.

Honorable mention to the Cuotl: orbital lasers and black-hole robots (?) vs. musket-men.

Ive been thinking of digging that one up again. Anyone know how it aged?

NathanH
27-03-2012, 10:05 PM
I have a soft spot for Klackons, mainly because everyone else in the world rightly despises them.

Skull
27-03-2012, 10:19 PM
The Vikings from Medieval! Also....Zerg!

Bhazor
27-03-2012, 10:41 PM
My head says the Necron were the standout faction in DoW. But my heart... she belongs to the Imperial Guard.

Jiiiiim
27-03-2012, 10:49 PM
Panzer Elite in Company of Heroes were probably the guys I warmed to the most. While the Brits were building immense emplacement empires, and the Americans and Wehrmacht were being all "balanced" with their "selection of different units" and "strategies", the Panzer Elite simply let me throw wave after wave of my own men at the enemy until they died. Most of their vehicles were highly situational so I ended up just building tens of ultra-upgraded regular infantrymen and seeing them mince up the opposition. Great fun after having to think so much about making sure I had all the counters I needed with the other argument. For a bonus, several of their vehicles were just adorable. The completely unarmed kettenkrad, rumbling around capturing points and running away from everything, the vampire halftrack that was useless but had an amazing name, the Bergetiger that could bring back tanks FROM THE DEAD, the dinky little marder and hummel, special tanks with special goals. Awww.

Nalano
27-03-2012, 11:10 PM
the Panzer Elite simply let me throw wave after wave of my own men at the enemy until they died.

Which a lot of people in the Relic forums cited as how the new faction fucked up the game.

Heliocentric
27-03-2012, 11:32 PM
The Brits and Panzer Elite ruined Company of Heroes for me, Company of Heroes: Online brought CoH back to life and then CoH:O died... *sobs*

Jiiiiim
27-03-2012, 11:51 PM
Hooray for Panzer Elite!

Giaddon
28-03-2012, 12:39 AM
Ive been thinking of digging that one up again. Anyone know how it aged?

It's still awesome. One of the best RTS designs ever. I still play it regularly. You need to run a .bat to get it patched (the patching servers are broken), I'd be happy to send it to you if you pick up the game again.

On topic, I always liked the Cybran Nation from Supreme Commander 1&2.

Kelron
28-03-2012, 01:12 AM
Always liked the Norse from Age of Mythology for their sensible notion that even though you are a foot soldier, it does not mean that you are exempt from menial labors such as building construction.

I preferred Egyptians. They have it all. Troop transports dangling precariously from the claws of giant birds. Wall-jumping jackal men. Crocodiles shooting laser beams.

QuantaCat
28-03-2012, 01:17 AM
It's still awesome. One of the best RTS designs ever. I still play it regularly. You need to run a .bat to get it patched (the patching servers are broken), I'd be happy to send it to you if you pick up the game again.

On topic, I always liked the Cybran Nation from Supreme Commander 1&2.

How about multiplayer? any info on that?

Fumarole
28-03-2012, 01:32 AM
GLA

AK47s for everyone!

Nalano
28-03-2012, 02:49 AM
AK47s for everyone!

Can I have some shoes?

arathain
28-03-2012, 03:01 AM
Those ones from Universe at War. You know, the ones whose only base buildings are walkers the size of a small town spitting death rays and crushing things under earth-shaking legs, whose harvesters were tripods disintegrating cars, cows and civilians, and had shark-headed men as units. Those guys.

Edit: I should also mention my race of choice from my multiplayer RTS of choice, Dawn of War 2 (Retribution). The Orks, of course. The whole game has superb voice acting which curiously features far more in the multiplayer than in the campaign, but the Orks take the cake. Never have I commanded an army that sounded like they were having as much fun as I am, and often more. The lines are funny, characterful, and delivered with aplomb and enthusiasm. The real highlight is the voice of your aide de camp, The Grot, who manages to make me laugh even when I'm losing.

Duckee
28-03-2012, 03:55 AM
Core. That is from Total Annihilation.

Taros, from Total Annihilation: Kingdoms.

Prussia and Teutonic Knights in Total War.

sockeatsock
28-03-2012, 04:14 AM
How does TA:Kingdoms hold up? I've never bothered with TA since Supreme Commander is generally viewed as an updated version. Does Kingdoms offer something else?

Duckee
28-03-2012, 04:21 AM
How does TA:Kingdoms hold up? I've never bothered with TA since Supreme Commander is generally viewed as an updated version. Does Kingdoms offer something else?

Hmm. I know it works for XP, but for Vista I have no idea. I think you would still get a fair bit of fun out of it, but perhaps is more suited for a Netbook these days like so many of our greats. (Too large screen+low res tends to be quite crap). I played it last maybe 3-4 years ago and played it and its expansion from start to finish. It has some interesting mechanics, which we dont even see today in many RTS games such a projectile weapons as opposed to auto hitting weapons. Also, the factions are all ace and diverse.

And for the record SupCom is quite different to the originals. I would love a Kingdoms remake though.

Miker
28-03-2012, 05:18 AM
Zerg from StarCraft and its sequel. The animations and slime shaders are great and all, but it's the creep that does it for me. Creep as a mechanic in SC2 is seriously brilliant and makes Zerg matchups so interesting. When enemy units come onto your creep, you really feel like you've got home field advantage, and enemies know that they're marching into dangerous territory.

soldant
28-03-2012, 06:00 AM
Core. That is from Total Annihilation..
ARM. For Brawlers. And by extension the UEF in Supreme Commander, simply because their idea of "unite" is "kill everybody else". Also Series 9 from the KKnD 2, because they're farm-bots. Related: web design from (http://melbournehouse.kknd2.com/series9_home.html)1998!

Nalano
28-03-2012, 06:12 AM
Zerg from StarCraft and its sequel.

Orks from everything Warhammer.

The Innocent
28-03-2012, 06:25 AM
Late Age Ermor and Late Age R'lyeh from Dominions 3.

Here's why: they're the two that break the rules. Out of over 60 factions, there are only two and a half that are radically different. Every other faction is egalitarian in comparison: they might pillage their own villages to pick up some extra gold, sacrifice virgins to cast hugely overpowered spells, or brutally massacre an enemy's population, but most of the time they'll leave people alone.

Not Ermor and R'lyeh.

Ermor kills everyone—every single person within the cloud of their dominion—and turns them into a nation of mindless undead. And they get truly absurd numbers of troops from this: I've had a couple games where I've seen Ermor players running around with multiple armies of over 10,000 undead. R'lyeh does something similar, but instead of killing everyone, it just drives them insane. They transform once-populous nations into lands of dreamers and madmen who live side-by-side with starspawn and mutants. And both of these factions are so adept at this process, so efficient, that every other player in the game is terrified of them, and will likely ally against them before turning on each other.

Any game of Dom3 that takes place in the Late Era and has either Ermor or R'lyeh kicking about is definitely not going to be a boring one.

b0rsuk
28-03-2012, 07:24 AM
LA Ulm in Dominions 3.
Very heavily armored ifantry. People who herd wolves. Secret cults, Illuminati, fortune tellers.

Frostlings in Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic
They're cute, and they have a Frost Witch unit which leaves snow in her path ! Permanently. She can even freeze water, and go over crops depriving a nearby city of income.

Soviets in RA2. Their harvesters are armed with machineguns and can slaughter infantry and even small numbers of tanks. When going for the final battle, they can form a living shield in front of your tanks. If left unchecked, they deal surprising damage.
Among soviet factions, Iraq is probably the most practical. Desolators are a hard counter to all infantry except snipers, but more important is the fact they counter allied Mirage tanks, which are normally a micromanagement nightmare to defeat. Desolators turn the table.

Heliocentric
28-03-2012, 07:46 AM
Oh yeah, the British snipers, slap one in an ifv and Yuri prime is toast, his clone too.

QuantaCat
28-03-2012, 07:54 AM
still, mind control towers are made of win. As well as mind controlling shit to recycle. hilarious!

Oshada
28-03-2012, 09:24 AM
Vinci from RoL, Egyptians from Age of Mythology and the Spanish from Age of Empires II/expansion. I also quite liked the Persians, their elephants were so badass.

NathanH
28-03-2012, 09:37 AM
Lord Sartek from Warlords 3. He was a proper pest on the top difficulty.

SMiD
28-03-2012, 02:36 PM
Oh yeah, the British snipers, slap one in an ifv and Yuri prime is toast, his clone too.

This. You get that sucker promoted and he's a full on infantry killing machine. Also great for completely shutting down Yuri's economy.

Voon
28-03-2012, 02:58 PM
Probably the Soviets in RA2 but nation-wise, Iraq for the Desolators and Britain for dem snipers. In Dune II/2000, I always roll Harkonnen and Nod in C&C.

No matter what faction I pick in SupCom, UEF seems to stick with me. Probably the Fatboys and the gunships but I suck at playing it.

Playing in a game where everyone in the universe is evil and overpowred, Space Marines or the Necron in W40k: Dawn of War are pretty boss.

Screwie
28-03-2012, 03:13 PM
I always liked playing the Persians in Civ 4. A combination of health bonus + culture bonus + unique chariots = extremely rapid expansion in the early game.

Tikey
28-03-2012, 03:41 PM
Sots hivers. They just fitted me. It feels comfortable playing them. Also once you got past the first impression on the voice over it gets somewhat charming. FOR THE QUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN

DaftPunk
28-03-2012, 04:09 PM
This thread need more pics :D

Livebythesword
28-03-2012, 04:17 PM
I had a soft spot for the Shimazu clan back when I used to play Shogun Total War. I liked that you could convert to christianity pretty early in the game and get access to arquebuses from the portuguese (Shimazu territory being where they arrived first in the game) and build churches.

Playing as the mongols in the expansion pack was a lot of fun too, especially with this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXvKvO77yNQ) playing in the background as I charged in with my cavalry.

Bhazor
28-03-2012, 04:51 PM

Agreed.

So here's a picture of the Imps doing what they do best. Dying in their hundreds whilst winning a battle. Just like the Russians.
http://thecomplex.weebly.com/uploads/5/9/6/0/5960329/652282.jpg?728

caljohnston
28-03-2012, 06:21 PM
The Lunar Corporation in Earth 2150

Lunar Corporation: The Lunar Corporation (LC) is a matriarchy faction of space colonists who colonized the Moon and cut themselves off from Earth soon after the 3rd World War. Normally a pacifist Faction, the matriarchal LC are forced to head to Earth in order to secure minerals to build their Evacuation Ship (due to the Moon's general lack of accessible resources, in real life as well as in the game). The Lunar Corporation is by far the most advanced of the three factions, utilizing solar power as well as antigravity vehicles (explained, in the game, as a result of researching extraterrestrial technologies). Because of this, they do not build trenches or dig underground tunnels like the UCS and ED. Also, instead of constructing buildings like the other two factions, the Lunar Corporation is able to transport them from orbit to the battlefield. In combat, they use exotic weapons such as electro-cannons and sonic weapons (originally a mining equipment).

Sketch
28-03-2012, 06:38 PM
http://ui01.gamespot.com/888/mfatigue2008030219491162_2.png

Copious amounts of happiness to whoever recognises this game and faction.

Rinox
28-03-2012, 06:38 PM
The Evolved from KKnD. This list will explain all.

The evolved army is made up of primarily mutants; animal or human, equipped with crude technology. Their units are:

Berserker: The basic unit, good for nothing other than cannon fodder. They are slightly weaker than their Survivor counterpart but are cheaper. Utilizes the primitive bow and arrows.
Shotgunner: The main infantry unit; works well against all enemies but are vulnerable to bombs and missile weapons. They are the equals of their Survivor counterpart the SWATs in all respects.
Rioter: Throws molotov cocktails that are very effective against most everything they hit.
Pyromaniac: A flamethrower-armed mutant. Excellent against infantry and buildings.
Bazooka: Equivalent to the Survivor RPG Launcher. Slow but great for destroying vehicles.
Crazy Harry: An odd commando unit wearing plate-mail armor and wielding a powerful hand-cannon.
Mekanik: The Evolved repair infantry, equivalent to the Survivor Technician. The Mekanik is unarmed but capable of fully repairing friendly structures as well as opening Tech Bunkers that hold secret pre-war technologies.
Vandal: The Evolved espionage infantry, equivalent to the Survivor Saboteur. The Vandal may enter enemy structures and demolish them, crediting their cost to the Vandal's player. They may also be used to prevent sabotage by defending friendly structures from infiltration.
Dire Wolf: The lightest animal. A Shotgunner riding a mutated wolf. Good for scouting and effective in large groups.
Bike and Sidecar: A sturdier recon vehicle with a side-mounted machine gun. Good for hit-and-run tactics.
Giant Scorpion: An Evolved scorpion that squirts venom. Effective against infantry.
Monster Truck: One of the few non-organic vehicles that the Evolved use. Armed with machine guns, it is effective against infantry (it is the cheapest unit that can be used to crush infantry).
Bombardier Beetle: An oversized beetle capable of launching explosive chemical blobs from its abdomen. The Evolved form of artillery.
Missile Crab: A massive crustacean with an equally massive and extremely powerful missile launcher grafted to its back. It is very slow moving.
War Mastadon: A mammoth-like creature that has reappeared due to the similarity between Ice Ages and nuclear winters. It is the standard Evolved heavy attack unit, much like a tank.
Wasp Bomber: A special aerial unit available only to the most advanced Evolved bases. They drop high-explosive bombs at the targeted area and are most effective against large groups of units.

Hanban
28-03-2012, 06:45 PM
http://ui01.gamespot.com/888/mfatigue2008030219491162_2.png

Copious amounts of happiness to whoever recognises this game and faction.

Metal Fatigue's Rimtech! Miss that game soooo! I much preferred Neuropa though!

Sarlix
28-03-2012, 07:22 PM
I'll oblige

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/9576/attack015.png

The ones in purple...see my previous post...too tired to type

Giaddon
28-03-2012, 07:50 PM
How about multiplayer? any info on that?

No one's playing it, if that's what you're asking.

Sketch
28-03-2012, 08:09 PM
Metal Fatigue's Rimtech! Miss that game soooo! I much preferred Neuropa though!

Glad to see another fan! I loved all factions, I remember thinking picking up the robot pieces after a big battle was the coolest thing ever haha. That and 3 tiered levels was awesome.

Berzee
28-03-2012, 08:53 PM
Glad to see another fan! I loved all factions, I remember thinking picking up the robot pieces after a big battle was the coolest thing ever haha. That and 3 tiered levels was awesome.

I recognized the game but now the faction -- I only e'er played the demo. =)

victory
28-03-2012, 11:48 PM
Starcraft Terrans. They are the opposite of the cookie-cutter "diplomatic and peaceful with average attributes" human faction. Terrans compensate for their weak physiology and generally unremarkable intelligence (the only thing where they seem intelligent is finding new and better ways to kill stuff) by being violent, tenacious, greedy and completely amoral bastards. Fittingly, they do not care much about keeping their own guys alive; the bulk of terran units are cheap, expendable glass cannons and the terran just tries to get them killed in a way that hurts the opponent more.

Cable
29-03-2012, 12:41 AM
I loved the Huns in AOEII: The Conquerors. No need to build houses and i'd build armies of paladins, horse archers and tarkans (specialist building destroyers). Then i'd just rove the board with my mounted army burning and pillaging everything in my way.

Bhazor
29-03-2012, 01:08 AM
@ Victory

Don't forget the Siege Tank. Probably still one of the best units in the RTS (a-ha) cannon. Setting up three on each side of a canyon in a skirmish against Zerg is pretty much the best thing ever. Probably why I heart turtling so much and thus why I love the Imps in DoW1 so much.

b0rsuk
29-03-2012, 10:15 AM
Fortress (the swamp dwellers) in Heroes of Might and Magic III. Enjoy the music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsYjN4wFw4o

QuantaCat
29-03-2012, 10:31 AM
Arrrr. Id be needing that RoL patch right about now! :D

Voon
29-03-2012, 11:46 AM

Have some videos instead!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycsYXeeaidA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j700C_b6Iic&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdyNxm2Kang&feature=relmfu

Is it me or Allies have the best quotes?

Fumarole
30-03-2012, 12:59 AM
More videos? OK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIRPcICB-iY

More games need Takei.

Birdman Tribe Leader
30-03-2012, 04:16 AM
The Tha Roon in War Wind. The best stealth units, the Jump Troop and its jetpack, and in the sequel their footsoldiers used flamethrowers.

JackShandy
30-03-2012, 05:08 AM
Can it count if it's a build, rather than a faction?

I'm playing Solium Infernum at the moment, and Deceit is amazing. Steal your opponents armies, heroes and artifacts, go invisible, frame other players for the things you did. Amazing.

(It would be even more amazing if I wasn't on the receiving end at the moment)

FriendlyFire
30-03-2012, 05:39 AM
I'd have to pick the Nuke general in Zero Hour. Who wouldn't want MiGs firing nuclear missiles with so much force that they can send infantry in the stratosphere?

Also nuclear Overlord tanks.

Duckee
30-03-2012, 02:52 PM
I was always a sucker for China too in Zero Hour. However, I preferred the infantry focused general. Mobile bunkers filled with minigunners!