PDA

View Full Version : Why no RPS love for Nimbus?

Donkeyfumbler
14-06-2011, 04:33 PM
Bought this game on the Steam daily sail a couple of days ago and it's great - a mix of puzzle/platform/racer with a Trackmania-esque impulse to keep trimming your time on each level. It got one brief mention on RPS back in October and that's it - I rely on this site to tell me about gems like this!

Mohorovicic
14-06-2011, 04:35 PM
If RPS reported on every indie physics puzzle platform game there would be no space left for actual news.

icupnimpn2
14-06-2011, 05:57 PM
How often does RPS need to mention the same game before you feel they have done their duty? Do you have a threshold number of RPS mentions before purchase or interest is generated?

Here's the October announcement that the game was available:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/10/26/sky-rocket-in-flight-nimbus/

Here's the announcement that it was on sale this week:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/04/02/the-rps-bargain-bucket-pc-game-bargains/

So Quinns hasn't done a 7-part semi-fictional narrative feature on Nimbus, but how much more detail do you need on a game of this sort?

Donkeyfumbler
14-06-2011, 10:00 PM
Blimey. Jump down my throat for a light hearted comment why don't you? If I'd realised even mock criticism of RPS would bring out the forum police I'd have kept my thoughts about finding a hidden gem of a PC game to myself. After all, that's not what this site is about at all is it?

vinraith
14-06-2011, 10:16 PM
Regardless of the coverage, this really is a gem of a game. It's all about conserving the mechanical energy of your little craft, as it has no ability to create thrust on its own. That's a fairly unique mechanic, at least in my experience, and the game gradually builds up more and more layers of puzzle mechanics on top of that. It's a puzzle game and a racing game and a platform game with no jump button all at once, in some sense. I'd highly recommend it, it's certainly worth looking at the demo.

icupnimpn2
15-06-2011, 05:49 AM
Actually, this game sounds pretty interesting. I've read that you will see crap happening around you in the levels that seems completely irrelevant until you're juuuust about to beat a level. Then some previously unfathomed chain of events will culminate in you losing and having to play the level over.

amandachen
15-06-2011, 06:54 AM
I saw TotalBiscuit's WTF on this, I think it was. Thought it looked okay, but it didn't grab me. Looked like single-player Scorched Earth.

icupnimpn2
15-06-2011, 02:20 PM
I saw TotalBiscuit's WTF on this, I think it was. Thought it looked okay, but it didn't grab me. Looked like single-player Scorched Earth.

I may have to place this higher on my buy priority list

vinraith
15-06-2011, 03:47 PM

Err, it's really got no similarity whatsoever to scorched earth. I mean occasionally you shoot your craft out of a cannon, but all you're determining there is the angle, the point is to put some new kinetic energy into the craft so it can keep moving.

Donkeyfumbler
15-06-2011, 05:17 PM
Three hours in (I really don't get much time to game these days) and so far it's pitched perfectly, to my gaming skills and itches at least anyway.

Nice gravity mechanic that can make it tricky to control, but a rush when you guide your little craft at full speed through narrow gaps surrounded by spikes. You spend your first few goes working out the puzzle aspect of the level and then once you've succeeded it's then a trackmania-esque urge to trim your time so that you climb the global leaderboards (and beat your friends times too). Perfect for a single five-minute single level game, or an hour's working your way through or going back to old levels to cut your time.

Just hope that I don't run out of levels too soon.

vinraith
15-06-2011, 07:32 PM
Just hope that I don't run out of levels too soon.

You won't, the game is insanely large and there are lots of secret levels tucked into nooks and crannies of the map.

Stardog
15-06-2011, 09:04 PM
If RPS reported on every indie physics puzzle platform game there would be no space left for actual news.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/hey-prs-and-developers/

If thereís one single way to summarise RPS, itís this: all games are equal until proven otherwise. We want to cover the obscurest indie games as much as we do the glossiest mainstream man-shooters, and everything in between.Way to completely misunderstand RPS's entire mission statement.