PDA

View Full Version : Data Recovery on Corrupted 5 and 1/4" Floppy

squirrel
31-03-2012, 02:31 AM
Would you mates know how to recover the data from those floppy disks if they are corrupted? Some are 20 years ago and happen to have a Apple II thing and a floppy drive I know is running, but some of the floppy disks cannot be read, and those contain some of the games I want to play again. Thanks a lot.

Feldspar
31-03-2012, 10:07 AM
Honestly, I think it is a lost cause. 5.25" floppy disks weren't exactly the best way of data, and you should be surprised that 20 year old disks play at all. It might be easier to see if you can find the games you want online in some form, there's a fair chance that the data is languishing in some forgotten corner of the web.

Odeon
02-04-2012, 08:46 PM
Honestly, I think it is a lost cause. 5.25" floppy disks weren't exactly the best way of data, and you should be surprised that 20 year old disks play at all. It might be easier to see if you can find the games you want online in some form, there's a fair chance that the data is languishing in some forgotten corner of the web.
I'm gonna have to agree with everything said above. The truly floppy floppies have always been rather fragile and unreliable, which is why they designed 3.5" floppies to be rigid. Even brand new 5.25" floppies could be unusable right out of the box, so your chances of recovering what's on one that isn't working right are between slim and none.