PDA

View Full Version : Frozen Synapse dark extermination league - season 9

WombatDeath
02-04-2012, 11:15 PM
Sign-ups for season 9 are now open! If you would like to take part please do three things:

1) Add yourself to this list (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvmG4SoJhEYbdFgtbjN3VFE4OUxQTEtSLWVoVmJGX 3c&pli=1#gid=35).

2) PM your email address to me (optional, but it will be very useful if I need to give you a nudge). I will not disclose it to anyone else. If you have previously PMd your address to me in an earlier season you don't need to send it again, but if you're not sure then please re-send it.

3) Click here (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/profile.php?do=editoptions) to go to the RPS forum settings and edit the 'Private Messaging' section so that you get an email and/or a popup when someone (e.g. me) sends you a PM.

Season 9 will begin [EDIT: at some point in April] and will last two weeks, so please don't sign up if you expect to be unavailable during that period. You will probably be required to play between 4 and 6 games (division sizes are subject to the number of players). Rules are as in previous seasons, and will be posted later this week.

New and old players are all welcome! No experience required, and weaponry will be provided. Sign up! (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvmG4SoJhEYbdFgtbjN3VFE4OUxQTEtSLWVoVmJGX 3c&pli=1#gid=35)

Siddin
02-04-2012, 11:18 PM
I don't think I can use my time traveling device yet, seeing as it's only halfway done. I'll assume you mean Season 9 and April 12th?

Name added. Looking forward to this one!

WombatDeath
02-04-2012, 11:55 PM
Bah! I go to all this trouble and you people can't even be bothered to move outside of linear time for a bit. Bah, I say; and tish!

rodeoclown
03-04-2012, 04:14 AM
I'm already there (I mean I completed my matches a few years back - a pox on those of you who can't manage to slip into alternate timelines)

brocklehurst
03-04-2012, 09:15 PM
I'm in, cheers Wombat

desvergeh
04-04-2012, 12:17 PM
Will pass this season I think.

Going to investigate a wider variety of game types with some random challenges I think.

leegeorg07
04-04-2012, 12:43 PM
Will pass this season I think.

Going to investigate a wider variety of game types with some random challenges I think.

If you want a pretty poor opponent, I'll always be open to some challenges.

WombatDeath
05-04-2012, 12:51 AM
Due to the current state of the Ginormoleague I'm going to kick this off a week or two later than planned. I've been thinking of running a very short tournament of some type with a different game mode (probably secure or charge) to bridge the gap, if anyone's provisionally interested in that sort of thing?

rodeoclown
05-04-2012, 12:55 AM
You can pretty much sign me up for everything.
I'm playing on my work pc (which happens to be at the house where I live), so I'm more than happy for any games :D

Have you looked into using the built-in tournament feature?
Does it even work?

Fumarole
05-04-2012, 01:31 AM
Sign me up for Charge, it doesn't get enough love and is my favorite mode.

edit - also kindly change the thread titles for future seasons as, for me at least, they're all shortened to Frozen Synapse dark extermination league - season (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?3919-Frozen-Synapse-dark-extermination-league-season-9)when browsing the latest threads. Calling it something like Rock Paper Synapse season X should suffice.

desvergeh
05-04-2012, 12:31 PM
I would be up for a mini-league of charge. You intending to setup a separate sign-up sheet for this somewhere Wombat?

DeVadder
05-04-2012, 12:57 PM
Ill join whatever you might offer :)

And: Yay, other game modes.
I like Secure and hostage even more than charge as they add even more to think off, but i will happily accept anything ;)

ColOfNature
05-04-2012, 05:32 PM
A different mode occasionally might be fun.

The built in tournament thing works: it lets you put in a bunch of names and it generates a knock-out style tournament. It might be useful, but the problem with that kind of event is it can leave the early losers with nothing much to do for the later rounds. Unless they start another, smaller contest. And then the losers of the first round of that and round two of the original tourney start yet another. A fractal fracas, if you will: The RPS Frozen Synapse Sierpinski Series.

leegeorg07
06-04-2012, 11:51 AM
I'd go for a different game mode, but like some other guys I think I'm going to take a break. Would it be worth spacing these out a bit more so we don't all get burnt out?

DeVadder
20-05-2012, 11:43 AM
They say it is a bad habbit to revive threads from page 3 but they also say you can't eat cookies for dinner, so 'they' obviously have no idea.

By this i mean: I believe we had enough of a break, i would like some deep blue carnage.

Xune
21-05-2012, 07:02 PM
Good bump, I forgot there was a season 9 thread already. I'm ready for games once more.

WombatDeath
23-05-2012, 06:06 PM
Hello! I'm not dead. However, I do have a new job which is going to severely limit the amount of time I can devote to getting my face blown off, or indeed to organising the face-blowings-off of others. Would anyone like to take over the league admin, now that people are starting to recover from the horrors of the Ginormoleague?

On an unrelated note, I'm going to be working in Chancery Lane for a while (don't worry, I'm not a lawyer) so if anyone in that neck of the woods fancies meeting up for a lunchtime/evening drink sometime in the next few weeks that would be splendid.

ColOfNature
23-05-2012, 07:04 PM
I'll take the wheel if you like. My organisation skills are second-to-most, but you've set it up so that it's all pretty straightforward.

WombatDeath
23-05-2012, 11:08 PM
Fantastic, I was hoping you'd say that! I'm sure you will do a fine job; you didn't murder all that many people when I went on holiday in March.

I hereby declare ColOfNature the Supreme Overlord of the Multiverse (and all RPS Frozen Synapse Dark Extermination leagues contained therein). Long live the Overlord!

rodeoclown
23-05-2012, 11:12 PM
Don't know about that, but I'm ready for the games to kick on again (especially with the new DLC due out in the next few days - got an FS Steam update this morning)!

ColOfNature
24-05-2012, 10:27 PM
And we're starting up again. I'm spelling WombatDeath at the tiller, but fear not because the form of the exercise is unchanged from before (notwithstanding the Ginormoleague, which was an interesting diversion but far too unwieldy to be a regular occurrence).

So without further ado: sign up here (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvmG4SoJhEYbdFgtbjN3VFE4OUxQTEtSLWVoVmJGX 3c&pli=1#gid=35). I've removed any names which were on the list from before, as it's been so long I figured we may as well start from scratch. Sign-ups will be open until midnight on the 1st of June, I'll have the tables up by the following morning (Saturday, that is) and the tournament will then run until midnight on Sunday 17th June. The rules, like I said, will be as in previous seasons (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?3409-Frozen-Synapse-dark-extermination-league-season-8&p=101250&viewfull=1#post101250), but I'll post them in here when we're ready for the off.

DeVadder
25-05-2012, 12:01 AM
Yeah, we are all pretty used to bowing down to ColOfNature, that will work just fine.
And by that i mean: Much appreciated, the both of you.

Xune
25-05-2012, 12:50 AM
I bow down to no one! You're gonna have to shoot my legs out from under me. >:D

Gotem
25-05-2012, 05:49 PM
I bow down to no one! You're gonna have to shoot my legs out from under me. >:D

then what you're gonna do? bleed on me?

ColOfNature
25-05-2012, 06:45 PM
I don't expect you to bow. I expect you to lose. <evil laugh />

TheGodzillaHunter
26-05-2012, 04:01 PM
Just started playing FS, figured I'd sign up. Yay!

ColOfNature
26-05-2012, 05:47 PM
Welcome to the tournament!

Fumarole
27-05-2012, 01:07 AM
I might not be able to partake in season 9 as it appears my PSU died after a power failure last night. My system's old enough that replacing just the PSU doesn't make much sense, and I don't currently have the budget to build a new PC. I should have the money next month, so perhaps I can join in season 10; that is unless I am too busy playing all the games from the last two years my old PC choked on.

I could install FS on my work lappy, but probably shouldn't.

Xune
27-05-2012, 03:24 PM
Ouch, sorry to hear that. Had that happen to me twice now with Antec PSUs. Was it just supply that went or were other components damaged? If it's the former, couldn't you just replace it with a beastly PSU then transfer it over to the new system when you have the cash?

Fumarole
27-05-2012, 04:14 PM
I am currently in the process of troubleshooting. It does look like it was the PSU that bit it but until I get my hands on another one I won't know for sure.

iwem.xo
29-05-2012, 08:34 PM
I'm starting to doubt my conviction in saying that I'd sit this one out.

Also, will this be any part of the tourney?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMoM2Oeq4dY

ColOfNature
29-05-2012, 09:51 PM
I'm going to go with "no" for this round. Maybe in future rounds we can shake things up a bit - I'm looking forward to playing with the mutators. And please do join up, we don't have much interest this time round.

iwem.xo
29-05-2012, 10:02 PM
Oh, alright.

Just can't say no to The Tick.

Gotem
29-05-2012, 10:11 PM
I wonder if on teh mutators tehy would add laying landmines, I think that sounds more interesting than a grenade deflecting shield

TheGodzillaHunter
30-05-2012, 03:56 AM
I wonder if on teh mutators tehy would add laying landmines, I think that sounds more interesting than a grenade deflecting shield

But it would also be, and this is important, really annoying (at least, in my opinion).

Ayam
30-05-2012, 08:14 PM
Frozen Synapse: Red - I can't discern if there's a multiplayer versus mode or not (over the net, not local play), does anyone have an idea? Like, a 2vs2 mode? I was really looking forward to such, but I only got 2 player vs AI coop vibes.

Easy
30-05-2012, 09:45 PM
I'm back. and I'm in.

rodeoclown
30-05-2012, 09:54 PM
Frozen Synapse: Red - I can't discern if there's a multiplayer versus mode or not (over the net, not local play), does anyone have an idea? Like, a 2vs2 mode? I was really looking forward to such, but I only got 2 player vs AI coop vibes.

There's no 2v2 mode.

sketchseven
30-05-2012, 10:08 PM
I'm interested in signing up for a few games if you have space/haven't started the tournament yet?

rodeoclown
30-05-2012, 10:15 PM
Signups are still open!
Use the link at the top of the thread.

Glad to have you!

Xune
31-05-2012, 07:53 AM
Also, will this be any part of the tourney?

Cards on the table, with my scooter problems last month I'm still behind in the cash department so I won't be buying Red just yet. Also, I hate it that 6 can go from being an impulse purchase amount to an expense that needs to be considered.

rodeoclown
31-05-2012, 09:17 AM
Xune - if you want to check out the new riot shield guy and new mode (I haven't tried it yet), let me know and I'll challenge you. I REALLY like that they made it so anyone without the new stuff can play if someone with it initiates the game.

TechnoJellyfish
31-05-2012, 09:22 AM
That sounds like loads of fun. I really loved the idea of FS, but sadly, I haven't played much of it (~ 7 hours). Couldn't get any of my friends to play more than 1 or 2 matches before they lost interest.

So ... Count me in, I guess!

I'm probably gonna get my ass handed back to me in every single match, though ...

sketchseven
31-05-2012, 03:27 PM
Well ... I have put my name down now, so I guess I'm committed! Or need to be committed, one of the two.

Xune
31-05-2012, 03:33 PM
TechnoJellyfish, welcome! Keep your shotgunners moving, get the machine guns into overwatch, be aware of potential explosions and maintain a helthy sense of paranoia at all times and you'll do fine. :)

rodeoclown, yeah that'd be good, set us up a game and I'll try to get a few turns in. I agree, that's a smart move on mode7's part. I seem to remember Introversion doing something similar with Defcon, allowing demo players join 3-5 player matches but not create them.

ColOfNature
31-05-2012, 06:14 PM
Welcome, new guys! I'll be your co-ordinator of pew-pew for this season. I was beginning to worry there would only be four of us so it's nice to see some fresh faces amongst the usual suspects.

Sign-ups are open for another 30 hours (more or less), so if you know of anyone else who would be interested by all means point them towards the list.

LaunchJC
31-05-2012, 06:57 PM
I'm really pretty shit at FS but I like it all the same :( signed up!

sketchseven
01-06-2012, 12:47 AM
Decided to pony up the cash for the DLC - looking forward to getting some games in - it's been a long, long time since I played FS

rodeoclown
01-06-2012, 01:54 AM
Col, are we going to allow the riot shield units in this season?
They will only be in if the challenger creates the game, and I have a feeling we probably shouldn't allow them for now.

Maybe for season 10 :)

ColOfNature
01-06-2012, 02:02 AM
No, for this round I'm going to enforce a vanilla-only rule. Sorry to anyone else who has shelled out on the DLC. My reasoning for this is purely selfish: I haven't played any matches yet with the riot shield so I haven't developed any tactics for it. So no riot shield, no mutators. After this round is over we can have a free and frank discussion about what to use in season 10. That said, if you want to use a red map that's probably okay.

rodeoclown
01-06-2012, 02:04 AM
As far as I can tell, the red option is local only, so I could be playing red and you'll never know!
(It's purely a colour-change option :D)

ColOfNature
01-06-2012, 02:10 AM
I didn't know that.

Quick update and a question: we only have 11 signees so far this time around. Does anyone have an opinion either way on whether I should have on big group or two smaller ones? The Ginormoleague had 15 entrants and there seemed to be some fatigue towards the end, but we're all pretty well rested at this point. What say you, bearing in mind I'll be putting up the tables in about 24 hours?

sketchseven
01-06-2012, 02:28 AM
I'm easy either way to be honest - we could have two leagues and then a champion of champion heads up series, or just one big league.

rodeoclown
01-06-2012, 02:47 AM
I think it's probably better to split in two.
It's pretty unfair to have guys like iwem.xo and you Col vs guys who have only played a handful of games.

Gotem
01-06-2012, 05:58 AM
two groups sounds fine

ColOfNature
02-06-2012, 03:17 AM
Season 9 has now begun! This time we have 11 players split into two divisions: players who took part in the Ginormoleague in Division 1, and the others in Division 2. You can now start issuing challenges and playing your matches - click here to see the league tables (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvmG4SoJhEYbdFgtbjN3VFE4OUxQTEtSLWVoVmJGX 3c&pli=1#gid=38).

Important: each player has the responsibility of challenging every player above him/her in the appropriate division. That means that, for instance, I have to issue two challenges: to Xune and iwem.xo.

If you are unsure who you should be challenging, look at the second tab on the spreadsheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvmG4SoJhEYbdFgtbjN3VFE4OUxQTEtSLWVoVmJGX 3c&pli=1#gid=39). You need to issue a challenge for each game in which you are Player 1. If you're still unsure, post in this thread or send me a PM.

Game rules and league procedures

1) Each game must conform to the following settings:

Mode: Dark Elimination
Map type: symmetrical
Turn limit: eight turns
Turn duration: five seconds per turn (i.e. 5000 milliseconds - this is the default setting)
Visibility: vis at time zero
Team strength: four men per player, including at least one rocket launcher or grenadier
Vanilla only: no riot shields, no mutators
Server: UK1

Any game that does not conform to these rules will be void and must be replayed. You may not reuse maps - a new map must be generated for each challenge. Please see the next post if you're not sure how to create a game with the correct settings, and post in this thread if you are in any doubt.

2) After creating each game on server UK1, the challenger must state the challenge in this thread. Format: "[Player1] has challenged [Player2] in game [game ID]".

Example: "ColOfNature has challenged Xune in game 123456".

3) After each game has been completed, the player accepting the challenge must report the result in this thread. Standard format: "[Victorious player] has defeated [defeated player] in game [game ID] by [number of men killed by victorious player] men killed to [number of men killed by defeated player]".

Example: "Xune has defeated ColOfNature in game 123456 by 4 men killed to 0".

In the event of a draw, the format is "[Challenging player] and [challenged player] have drawn in game [game ID], killing [number of men killed per player] men each."

Example: "ColOfNature and Xune have drawn in game 123456, killing 3 men each".

I will update the spreadsheet with the result of each game.

4) Challengers may start issuing their challenges from today (Saturday 02 June). All games must be completed by the end(GMT) of Sunday 17 June.

5) We're all reasonable people, when pressed, so some flexibility will be applied. If you're going to be on holiday, or traveling to distant worlds, or otherwise restricted in your availability, please post in this thread and we will try to accommodate you as far as is reasonably practical.

6) Try to start your games in the first week and finish them early. Players leaving it to the last minute to issue a challenge or submit orders risk forfeiting the game. If any game is unfinished by the deadline I will use my finger-of-random-choosing and award points to one, both or neither player, depending on my whim.

7) At the end of the season the final results will be used to determine the divisions for season 10, according to a fiendishly cunning set of rules which I will suck directly from the brain of WombatDeath at a later date.

8) Any circumstances not catered for in these rules will be handled according to some combination of common sense, consensus, whimsy and iron-fisted authoritarianism.

Finally, a polite reminder that although PMing your email address to me is optional, it will make organisation easier so please consider doing so if you haven't already.

Good luck!

ColOfNature
02-06-2012, 03:18 AM
How to create a game with the correct settings

This may be useful to those newer to Frozen Synapse:

1) Log in to server UK1.
2) Click the 'Multiplayer' button at the top of the screen
3) Click 'Create a game'
4) Set the game mode to Dark Extermination
5) Click the 'Advanced setup' button
6) Ignore the scary warning and click 'OK'
7) Click the 'Generate symmetrical' button
8) If you get a silly map, or if you don't have four men per side (including at least one rocket launcher or grenadier), go back to (7) and repeat until you're happy.
9) Click the 'Submit' button
10) Ensure that the 'Game mode' is set to 'Extermination'
11) Ensure that the 'Vis mode' is set to 'Vis at time zero'
12) Ensure that the 'Turn limit' is set to 8 (and the 'Turn length' to 5000, which is the default)
13) Enter your opponent's username
14) Enter 'RPS Dark Extermination League' or something suitable so that your opponent knows it's for this league
15) Click the 'Submit' button
16) Take your first turn and note the challenge in this thread, using the format in point 2 of the post directly above this one.

Fumarole
02-06-2012, 03:38 AM
Good luck to those playing, I'll catch you on the flip side.

rodeoclown
02-06-2012, 07:59 AM
RodeoClown has challenged Xune in game 527858
RodeoClown has challenged iwem.xo in game 527868
RodeoClown has challenged ColOfNature in game 527867
RodeoClown has challenged DeVadder in game 527865
RodeoClown has challenged Gotem in game 527863

Just a note - some of these have big, wide open spaces in them. I just use whichever symmetrical map first matches the requirements, so they should be interesting :)

Xune
02-06-2012, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the taster game rodeoclown, I can see the shield units really opening up a number of tactical options. If you fancy it, feel free to setup another.

I'm really tempted to pick the expansion up now but I owe my brother close to a grand and any expense needs to be justified till I pay him back. I don't like owing people money.

TechnoJellyfish
02-06-2012, 01:18 PM
TechnoJellyfish, welcome! Keep your shotgunners moving, get the machine guns into overwatch, be aware of potential explosions and maintain a helthy sense of paranoia at all times and you'll do fine. :)

Welcome, new guys! I'll be your co-ordinator of pew-pew for this season. I was beginning to worry there would only be four of us so it's nice to see some fresh faces amongst the usual suspects.

Why, thank you, sirs! I'll try to keep that in mind.

Don_himself has challenged Chwaga in game 528121

(I guess it's more practical to use in-game names? If otherwise, I'm gonna change that ...)

Good luck and have fun, everyone!

rodeoclown
02-06-2012, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the taster game rodeoclown, I can see the shield units really opening up a number of tactical options. If you fancy it, feel free to setup another.

I'm really tempted to pick the expansion up now but I owe my brother close to a grand and any expense needs to be justified till I pay him back. I don't like owing people money.

That sounds like a sensible idea :)
Sure - I'll challenge you to another round.

There's one other new mode they added this time round which is a fixed map option, for competitive play... might be worth checking out for next season.

iwem.xo
03-06-2012, 12:58 AM
Well, I'm off to a bad start. Rodeoclown beat me 4-2 in 527868.

Gotem
03-06-2012, 02:01 AM
gotem has challenged Xune in game 528946
gotem has challenged iwem.xo in game 528958
gotem has challenged ColOfNature in game 528970
gotem has challenged DeVadder in game 528979

sigh, this season seems will be a difficult one

ColOfNature
03-06-2012, 03:02 AM
ColOfNature chalenged Xune in game 529694
ColOfNature chalenged iwem.xo in game 529698

ColOfNature has beaten Gotem in game 528970 by 4 kills to 3

ColOfNature
03-06-2012, 03:23 AM
I've started updating the spreadsheet with results and videos. Check the Rock, Paper, Synapse YouTube channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/RockPaperSynapse) to see how we do this thing called "tactics". Also join the Rock, Paper, Synapse Steam group (http://steamcommunity.com/groups/rpsyn), because I said so.

Gotem
03-06-2012, 06:23 AM
rodeoclown has beaten gotem 4 kills to 2 in game 527863 (well, actually one if you dont count him killing his own unit)

rodeoclown
03-06-2012, 08:55 AM
No, it counts :(

I hadn't simmed him getting that close to the blast!

Well played.

Xune
03-06-2012, 03:55 PM
Yeesh, I'm rusty.

TheGodzillaHunter
04-06-2012, 06:36 AM
Don_Himself has defeated Chwaga in game 528121 4-2

TechnoJellyfish
04-06-2012, 01:42 PM
Good game!

The rest of division 2 has gone rather silent, though.

sketchseven
04-06-2012, 03:44 PM
Ugh I screwed up my initial challenges - didn't bother to read the thread properly before I started >.<

Will challenge again with the proper settings Launch and Don_himself. Sorry 'bout that.

sketchseven
04-06-2012, 04:17 PM
sketchseven has challenged Launch in game 532166
sketchseven has challenged Don_himself in game 532183
sketchseven has challenged Chwaga in game 532208

Ok so those are the proper games for the League. Sorry to LaunchJC and TechnoJellyFish for double-challenging but it should be obvious which is the official game - happy to play out the other game as a bit of practice (I am veeeeery rusty).

TechnoJellyfish
04-06-2012, 06:14 PM
Not a problem at all! If I find a few spare minutes, I'd be happy to play out the other match as well.

DeVadder
04-06-2012, 06:50 PM
DeVadder has beaten Gotem in a game that probably has a number that i could look up would i start FS again by 4 men killed to 2.

LaunchJC
04-06-2012, 08:58 PM
Hey sorry for not paying attention, will sort out all my games tomorrow after work! or at least start

DeVadder
04-06-2012, 11:47 PM
DeVadder has beaten Rodeoclown in game 527865 by 4 men killed to 0.

First round massacre.

edit:
I forgot:

DeVadder has challenged ColOfNature in game 532466.

DeVadder has challenged Iwem.XO in game 532448.

DeVadder has challenged Xune in game 532434.

rodeoclown
04-06-2012, 11:48 PM
Yeah, I had no chance there.
Everything I did was wrong :)

Well played!

TechnoJellyfish
05-06-2012, 04:41 PM
Don_himself has defeated sketchseven in game 532183 by 4 men killed to 2

Xune
06-06-2012, 02:00 AM
I totally didn't forget to post this earlier. :p

RodeoClown has defeated Xune in game
527858, 4 - 1

Match highlights include me sending in a shotty half cocked loosing two units and rodeoclown chasing my RPG half way across the arena before gunning him down.

sketchseven
06-06-2012, 12:04 PM
Well done to TechnoJellyfish. Really need to learn to keep more men alive in the opening 5 seconds of the game.

LaunchJC
06-06-2012, 02:14 PM
Hope I got this right, first time creating a game on FS!

Launch has challenged Chwaga in game 534933
Launch has challenged Don_himself in game 534937

Gotem
06-06-2012, 04:37 PM
sigh, I should add my games to the channel 'how to start well and lose in the end'

Xune has beaten gotem 4 kills to 2.. with those 2 kills been in the first turn.

around turn 6 I can even imagine my MG guy saying: 'get out of the way red guy, I dont want to shoot you'

TheGodzillaHunter
06-06-2012, 06:18 PM
Chwaga has beaten sketchseven in game 532208 4-2

It was a map with a lot of walls and corridors, and I managed to kills sketch's shotgunner with a lucky shot from my own in the first round, and then his RL in the second with the same shotgunner. That man deserves a medal (posthumously).

TheGodzillaHunter
06-06-2012, 06:34 PM
This has been my first time playing dark extermination mode on a symmetrical map and I'm loving it. I really love how the first turn plays out - when you have two groups of people opposing each other. Always wondering whether you should assault the enemy, retreat, defend, weather you should send your shotgunner on a probably-will-be-a-suicide mission in hopes of taking out the enemies RL or grenadier etc. In short: this is how FS should be played.

sketchseven
06-06-2012, 07:59 PM
Chwaga has beaten sketchseven in game 532208 4-2

Was well played by you. My return to FS has not gone brilliantly.

TechnoJellyfish
06-06-2012, 09:06 PM
Well done to TechnoJellyfish. Really need to learn to keep more men alive in the opening 5 seconds of the game.
I guess the outcome of the initial shootout was mostly a matter of luck. After that, there have been a lot misguided grenades on my part.

Enjoying this very much so far. Hopefully, I'll get some more turns done tonight.

Xune
06-06-2012, 10:10 PM
Xune has defeated DeVadder in game 532434, 4 - 0

In taking out both MGs like that in the opening turn, I think this is the first time any plan I have devised has gone exactly as expected.

Xune has defeated gotem in game 528946, 4 - 2

I thought it was all over when I sent BOTH of my MGs to their deaths in turn one but once again the shotgunner showed just how leathal it is at close range if you actually give it propper orders, (I still can't get over losing my shotty and grenadier against rodeoclown, all for the want of a simple aim order, grrr).

...around turn 6 I can even imagine my MG guy saying: 'get out of the way red guy, I dont want to shoot you'

Say, what ya doin' mack?

rodeoclown
06-06-2012, 10:27 PM
I don't think you lost those guys the way you think you lost them :D

Xune
06-06-2012, 10:35 PM
Your stationary MG took out the shotty as he rounded the corner without aiming, then he took out the grenadier as he passed by the window, no?

rodeoclown
06-06-2012, 10:45 PM
It appears I was mistaken. I thought the rocket took at least one of them out.

Xune
06-06-2012, 10:48 PM
Haha, no worries. I had to double check too. Or perhaps that was your plan, to make me doubt myself and have to deliberately relive my moment of failure once more! You are more cunning than I imagined. ^_^

sketchseven
07-06-2012, 04:06 AM
Hmmm I need to up my game. To be fair, this should not require much effort as all that can be charitably said about my play so far is that there's a lot of room there to improve.

LaunchJC
07-06-2012, 05:53 PM
Launch has defeated sketchseven in game 532166 by 4 kills to 3

TechnoJellyfish
08-06-2012, 10:54 AM
I got pretty much steamrolled by LaunchJC ... Very well played!

Launch has defeated Don_himself in game 534937 by 4 men killed to 2

LaunchJC
10-06-2012, 01:08 PM
I got pretty much steamrolled by LaunchJC ... Very well played!

Launch has defeated Don_himself in game 534937 by 4 men killed to 2

Was a bit surprised myself tbh! Btw are people generally up for playing random games outside of this? I've never played much FS partly cos I don't like random matchmaking.

sketchseven
10-06-2012, 02:31 PM
If people want to throw challenges my way will be happy to take my turn as and when I can - 'tis one thing I do love about FS is the ability to have games that span a few days as people take their turns.

TheGodzillaHunter
10-06-2012, 02:54 PM
Chwaga has beatenLaunch in game 534933 3-2

At one point, Launch only had one shotty holed upped (hold upped? held up? /shrug) inside of a room. I tested out whether or not I could get him, realized that I couldn't and primed. Without wiping my move. Ugh.

Fumarole
10-06-2012, 03:14 PM
holed up

morecharacters

iwem.xo
10-06-2012, 11:18 PM
Apologies for my absence. I had a bit of a busy week, but I'll pick this up again tomorrow.

Easy
10-06-2012, 11:31 PM
Sorry for the delay guys, I only have lousy excuses to offer so I won't. I'll send out the invites tomorrow.

Easy
11-06-2012, 07:48 PM
supamanu has challenged sketchseven in game 539971
supamanu has challenged Launch in game 539980
supamanu has challenged Don_himself in game 539992
supamanu has challenged chwaga in game 539992

are the names case sensitive? because I spelled chwaga with a lower case c :/

sketchseven
12-06-2012, 12:46 AM
Awesome I'll log in tomorrow (bit late tonight) and take my turn - cheers!

Xune
12-06-2012, 12:28 PM
Xune has defeated ColOfNature in game 529694, 4 - 0

Without doubt, the match hinged on the outcome of turn two. We were both in a position to carry out a devestating shotgun charge. I had the advantage of my shotgunner having eyes on all of Col's units and anticipated his low rush. The problem was that I couldn't position my MGs to take his shotty out without opening them up to MG and RPG fire. Suddenly it hit me, my shotgunner could intercept his with a long charge down the arena. It was a risk, if he had anticipated this move there were a couple of counters he could have used but if that shotgunner got through I could have lost two or even three units. It was a risk I had to take.

DeVadder
12-06-2012, 12:34 PM
DeVadder has defeated ColOfNature in game 532466 by 4 men killed to 0.

Not Cols lucky day it seems.

Easy
12-06-2012, 07:54 PM
Wow, congratulations Launch, this must be my most embarrassing and quick defeat ever :/

LaunchJC
12-06-2012, 08:39 PM
Launch has defeated supamanu in game 539980 by 4 kills to 0.

ColOfNature
12-06-2012, 08:39 PM
I have had better results. Well played DeVadder and Xune.

Easy
12-06-2012, 10:33 PM
Launch has defeated supamanu in game 539980 by 4 kills to 0.
Yeah ok you don't have to rub it in you know :P

TechnoJellyfish
14-06-2012, 06:06 PM
supamanu has defeated Don_himself in game 539992 by 4 men killed to 2

Oowww, I hadn't fully realized you could hit half height walls with RL by ducking ... Well played, sir!

LaunchJC
14-06-2012, 09:58 PM
Oowww, I hadn't fully realized you could hit half height walls with RL by ducking ... Well played, sir!

Mind blowing revelations!!

EDIT: added exclamations so it didn't look like I was being a sarcastic bastard

iwem.xo
14-06-2012, 10:54 PM
iwem.xo has defeated DeVadder in game 532448 by 4 kills to 2
iwem.xo has defeated gotem in game 528958 by 4 kills to 1

Mind blowing revelations!!

EDIT: added exclamations so it didn't look like I was being a sarcastic bastard

That actually looks even more sarcastic!

iwem.xo
15-06-2012, 12:26 AM
Aaaand iwem.xo has defeated ColOfNature in game 529698 by 4 kills to 0
I'm really happy with this one, because Col beat me pretty soundly last round.

ColOfNature
15-06-2012, 12:46 AM
Well played that man, you had me figured out from round one. It's been a thoroughly disappointing season. Seems finally my reliance on luck has overtaken me... I am chagrined. At least

ColOfNature drew with rodeoclown in mumblemumble with 3 kills each.

I'll update the spreadsheet and do all the videos tomorrow, as I'll have the time (and inclination) then. You have 72 hours to finish up your matches for this season. Carry on!

DeVadder
15-06-2012, 09:56 AM
iwem.xo has defeated DeVadder in game 532448 by 4 kills to 2

That rocket. What was i thinking. Probably something along the lines of: 'Now that he knows my two guys hide behind the wall, he will NEVER shoot his rocket there.' Apparently i was wrong.

sketchseven
15-06-2012, 01:29 PM
sketchseven drew with supamanu in game 539971 with a score of 3 kills each.

Opening massacre saw me turtle up a little, picking off two more guys to get the scores even with one turn to go, but my cunning ploy of 'camp!' didn't see supamanu walking his guy into my gunsights.

Not the best opening season for me. 3 losses and a draw.

TheGodzillaHunter
15-06-2012, 05:10 PM
supamanu has beaten chwaga in game 539992 4-2

Easy
15-06-2012, 05:30 PM
@chwaga: that match was pretty intense, and so,e pretty funky moves going on. Much enjoyed.
@sketchseven: I knew I was taking way too many risks, but hey I'm mr. reckless what can I say :/

Also, have I ever told you that this little RPSynapse community is one of the most enjoyable and courteous bunch of people I've ever played with? Well done sirs.

ColOfNature
15-06-2012, 09:19 PM
Aw, shucks :)

The videos are now up to date (https://www.youtube.com/user/RockPaperSynapse/videos?view=1), but I just noticed I don't have a game number for iwem.xo vs Xune, and I can't find it in the thread. Have you issued the challenge iwem.xo? The two of you are currently neck-and-neck in second and whichever of you wins is going to oust rodeoclown from first place - unless you draw, in which case you'll both sneak ahead of him on goal difference! It's exciting stuff!! You have a little over 48 hours to go...

Congratulations to LaunchJC for winning the second division!

rodeoclown
15-06-2012, 09:22 PM
Curses!
Even with Fumarole out I can't win :S

Next time Gadget! Next time!

Fumarole
15-06-2012, 10:14 PM
Curses!
Even with Fumarole out I can't win :S

Next time Gadget! Next time!Always remember that you started the avalanche of defeats I suffered in the ginormoleague.

iwem.xo
15-06-2012, 11:24 PM
No, I still need to challenge Xune. I'll get to it tomorrow, though I do have a lot of unrelated stuff to do. I've had a busier time than I anticipated when entering the tournament. :/

LaunchJC
16-06-2012, 02:27 PM
Congratulations to LaunchJC for winning the second division!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

Couldn't be more surprised haha! Really enjoyed it tbh regret not getting into RPSynapse sooner

TheGodzillaHunter
16-06-2012, 05:41 PM
Couldn't be more surprised haha! Really enjoyed it tbh regret not getting into RPSynapse sooner

Props for you being the only person in the second division to finish with positive points. I still beat you, and, yes, that is what I tell myself so I can sleep at night.

TheGodzillaHunter
16-06-2012, 05:43 PM
@chwaga: that match was pretty intense, and so,e pretty funky moves going on. Much enjoyed.
@sketchseven: I knew I was taking way too many risks, but hey I'm mr. reckless what can I say :/

Also, have I ever told you that this little RPSynapse community is one of the most enjoyable and courteous bunch of people I've ever played with? Well done sirs.

That second turn...man. I thought I was doing all right and the BAM half of my people are taken out with the other half being in very compromised positions Well played..

sketchseven
16-06-2012, 06:30 PM
Seconded on the courteous-and-friendly front :) Looking forward to the next season :)

ColOfNature
17-06-2012, 01:37 AM
Please find it in your heart to throw your wallet at TorchShips (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/product7/torchships-real-3-d-space-combat) - it has less than 24 hours and sounds like a frankly awesome game in the tactical stylee.

Thanks for your attention.

ColOfNature
17-06-2012, 01:53 AM
iwem.xo: issue the challenge before midnight UTC Sunday (posix 1339977600) or lose by default.

edit: ooh, that sounded like some kind of ultimatum. Listen to me, all "I'm in charge here". Masterful!

iwem.xo
17-06-2012, 01:18 PM
I started the game late last night, and then forgot to post about it here. I'll post the game number when Xune's taken a turn.

Easy
17-06-2012, 06:37 PM
Please find it in your heart to throw your wallet at TorchShips (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/product7/torchships-real-3-d-space-combat) - it has less than 24 hours and sounds like a frankly awesome game in the tactical stylee.

Thanks for your attention.

I love the premise here. Real physics. Which most respectable sci-fi novels actually use. Mmm, I'm already backing way too many projects but I might just cave in. If they can really pull it off, it could be tons of fun.

Xune
18-06-2012, 01:09 AM
I started the game late last night, and then forgot to post about it here. I'll post the game number when Xune's taken a turn.

I can confirm I received the game last night. Unfortunately, my weekends are busy and with Sunday being father's day it's been even more so. I'll take a look at it tomorrow.

iwem.xo
19-06-2012, 12:03 AM
Got a turn email. It's game 543928. I'll only be able to check it wednesday, since I've got a concert to go to tomorrow.

ColOfNature
19-06-2012, 01:12 AM
It's an epic duel between two masters of the art of combat - far be it from me to try to impose my mere mortal authority now! Take as long as you need.

rodeoclown
19-06-2012, 01:17 AM
I'm nearly ready for season 10 though... ;)

ColOfNature
19-06-2012, 01:24 AM
Sign ups will commence at the weekend, probably, with a view to starting the next season at the start of July - unless WombatDeath steps in to take over again, in which case it'll be up to him.

With that in mind, I'd like to do a quick straw poll: who's got the Red DLC? Who'd like to see the new stuff used in the next round? Who'd rather keep it vanilla? If it's up to me I'll keep the rules as they are, but if enough of you want to mix it up a little I'm open to the possibility of adding in shields and/or mutators. (Symmetry can be taken as read.)

rodeoclown
19-06-2012, 01:27 AM
I've got RED.

Using mutators seems like a good idea, I'd like to give them a go.
The riot shield doesn't seem to be included when generating maps though - I tried generating a heap and I never saw one, so I'm guessing they won't be used.

Xune
19-06-2012, 01:44 AM
My cashflow will hopefully be sorted by the end of the month so I should be abe to pickup red if needs be. Shame shields aren't included in generated maps, they're fun to play with. Hopefully mode7 will sort them and snipers out soon.

sketchseven
19-06-2012, 01:47 AM
I've picked up RED, I'm happy either way - if more people are going to have to buy it than not, happy to stick with vanilla. As I suck without mutators, I can't see much change to my suckiness if we have mutators :)

DeVadder
19-06-2012, 02:02 AM
I am all for Red. I do not yet own it because i actually only play in the league, but i would without hesitating.

Easy
19-06-2012, 01:29 PM
I don't have RED. I'm not super keen on picking it up until it's on sale.

btw, Rodeo, thanks a lot for being the master of ceremony for this league. You did a damn fine job, Wombat would be proud of ya'

sketchseven
19-06-2012, 02:30 PM
btw, Rodeo, thanks a lot for being the master of ceremony for this league. You did a damn fine job

Seconded *wild applause, waves tiny flag*

Gotem
19-06-2012, 03:47 PM
I dont have Red, nor was planning to get it anytime soon. but if we plan who issueas the challenge I think we dont need everyone to have the DLS to play with it in the season.

ColOfNature
19-06-2012, 05:11 PM
Yeah, good work Rodeo... wait... oh. Okay. (http://i.imgur.com/Tf6Tu.jpg)

DeVadder
19-06-2012, 05:26 PM

So sad...
Poor Col

sketchseven
19-06-2012, 07:09 PM
Yeah, I'm definitely up for another season. I can't possibly do worse than I did in the last one.

Easy
19-06-2012, 08:58 PM

oooooh crap so sorry Col, I meant you, I could see the little blue dude in my little brain, no idea why the word Rodeo came out of my mouth. Please forgive me :/ That will teach me from typing a quick post at work.

ColOfNature
19-06-2012, 09:39 PM
S'okay. I'll just fix all your matches next season! Mwahahaha!

rodeoclown
19-06-2012, 09:44 PM
I'd just like to thank everyone for all the support they've given me.
It was a tough job, but somebody had to step up and... wait what?

;)

Thanks Col, it's appreciated!
(And Easy, It's pretty common for that kind of slip to happen - I assume you were reading the forum and typed the name you were looking at, rather than the one you were thinking. I've had it happen before where I've called my wife of 9 years the wrong name. I don't think your slip up even comes close to that...)

Fumarole
19-06-2012, 09:47 PM
I've had it happen before where I've called my wife of 9 years the wrong name. I don't think your slip up even comes close to that...)You can't leave us hanging like that! How much damage did she do to you?

LaunchJC
19-06-2012, 09:48 PM
You can't leave us hanging like that! How much damage did she do to you?

I think the context has to be further explored.

Easy
19-06-2012, 10:15 PM
I'd just like to thank everyone for all the support they've given me.
It was a tough job, but somebody had to step up and... wait what?

;)

Thanks Col, it's appreciated!
(And Easy, It's pretty common for that kind of slip to happen - I assume you were reading the forum and typed the name you were looking at, rather than the one you were thinking. I've had it happen before where I've called my wife of 9 years the wrong name. I don't think your slip up even comes close to that...)

Oh wow I can only just imagine the consequence... glad to know you're still alive to talk about it. And thanks :)

rodeoclown
20-06-2012, 09:14 AM
Well, we're still married.
She's good like that :)

WombatDeath
20-06-2012, 08:06 PM
Sign ups will commence at the weekend, probably, with a view to starting the next season at the start of July - unless WombatDeath steps in to take over again, in which case it'll be up to him.

Nice try, but I'm afraid you're stuck with it now! Though I may be able to play in season 10 if my work schedule gets a bit less demented. Would I get some form of emeritus bonus as an ex-admin (a couple of extra SGs, say, and perhaps an extra MG or two)?

ColOfNature
20-06-2012, 09:22 PM
Nice try, but I'm afraid you've lost your privileges now! :)

Well folks, I've been thinking (nothing good will come of it, I'm sure): in season 10 I'm planning on adding an extra question in the sign-ups: "Are you okay with playing with mutators?" That way if both parties in any given match are willing I'll note it on the spreadsheet and the challenger can activate them as he sees fit (if he has the DLC, of course). Does that sound reasonable to everyone?

Easy
20-06-2012, 10:53 PM
Yup, I'd love to try them.

Space Indaver
20-06-2012, 11:20 PM
I'll attempt to join, if that's cool. Need to learn to play the damn thing first.

Xune
20-06-2012, 11:24 PM
That sounds like a nice compromise during this transitionary period Col.

Also, Xune has defeted iwem.xo in game 543928, 4 - 0

This was all decided in the first turn, specifically in the maneuvering of the centrally placed MG units. There were very few places the could have gone without being blown up or getting a buckshot shampoo. Everything went my way and the whole game collapsed like a house of cards.

ColOfNature
20-06-2012, 11:53 PM
Awesome. Well played both of you, and congratulations to you Xune.

Well ladies and gents, that's Season 9 officially finished. The final video (http://youtu.be/a6kXTNlRqXU) is uploading as we speak. The tables (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvmG4SoJhEYbdFgtbjN3VFE4OUxQTEtSLWVoVmJGX 3c&pli=1#gid=38) are complete and the winners are Xune in division one and LaunchJC in division 2, give them a round of applause everyone! Thank you all for playing and watch this space for the announcement of sign-ups for season 10 opening in a few days.

rodeoclown
21-06-2012, 12:03 AM
Well done all!
Good game!

DeVadder
21-06-2012, 12:05 AM
Top half of division 1!
I am at the top!
Now i just need to keep that place when wombat, fumarole and whoever else might return, well, return.

Also GG everybody.

Xune
21-06-2012, 12:36 AM
Thanks guys. It's been a great set of games, but if you'd asked me if I thought I was going to win after my shakey starts against rodeoclown and gotem, I'd have laughed at you.

I hear what you're saying DeVadder, this is just the calm before the storm. There are some heavy hitters who could be returning for season 10.

Fumarole
21-06-2012, 02:07 AM
Congrats to the winners! I'm still waiting on a shipment before my rig is finished being built, so it might be a week or so more before I can play anything more recent than X-Com. Hopefully I'll be in time to shake off the rust and join you all for Season 10: The Reckoning.

Dun dun dunnnnnnn!

rodeoclown
21-06-2012, 02:15 AM
Note to self: find Fumarole's hardware supplier and delay shipment.

Fumarole
21-06-2012, 02:19 AM
Note to self: find Fumarole's hardware supplier and delay shipment.Hmm, it would seem the gods of gaming have answered your plea:

Delivery status information is not available for your item via this web site. A return receipt after mailing may be available through your local Post Office.Damn that was quick.

rodeoclown
21-06-2012, 02:25 AM
I work fast!

Xune
21-06-2012, 12:38 PM
You're like the anti-Santa. I bet you don't even get snow for Christmas!

rodeoclown
21-06-2012, 12:43 PM
Who, me?
I live in Australia, we never get snow for Christmas!

Xune
21-06-2012, 12:53 PM
Oh yeah, well explain to me how you manage to live there without falling off the bottom of the world mister so called "Australian"?

rodeoclown
21-06-2012, 01:01 PM
We strap platypuses (platypi?) to our feet.
They are magical you know.

Xune
21-06-2012, 01:10 PM
I knew it. I bet you also used their magic to sabotage that delivery. I'm onto you! :P

ColOfNature
21-06-2012, 01:11 PM
Gravity is a myth - the Earth sucks!

Xune
21-06-2012, 04:33 PM
After my debut in season six it was obvious to me that my lack of understanding for the mechanics of the game was getting in the way of my tactical ambitions. For me, playing through as much as I could stomach of the single player campaign was my bootcamp to this league. Once I had a handle on the small technicalities it freed me up to plan for the bigger picture.

iwem.xo
21-06-2012, 10:44 PM
So close. :(
Well done everyone, especially Xune.

DeVadder
22-06-2012, 12:06 AM
This page makes me smile. :)

Good job everybody.

ColOfNature
22-06-2012, 12:31 AM
I agree. You're good people and I'm proud to be associated with you.

edit: by which I mean Season 10 sign-ups are now open (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?5344-Frozen-Synapse-Dark-Extermination-League-Season-10).

ColOfNature
22-06-2012, 01:56 AM
(Note to self: editing an information-free post three quarters of an hour later may not be the most effective way to make an announcement.)

Season 10 sign-ups are now open (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?5344-Frozen-Synapse-Dark-Extermination-League-Season-10).