PDA

View Full Version : The Best Games Ever Made/Your Favorites

Vdaxzter
04-04-2012, 04:54 AM
Having just made a thread about not-so-great games, I thought I'd follow it up by asking the RPS community to list their favorite game(s) and, if you want, give a brief explanation as to why you love the game. I searched the RPS forums extensively to make sure this topic hadn't been posted before, and, surprisingly, I didn't find a thread like the one you're currently reading. If I missed it, please let me know and link the thread. Anyway, here's a list of some of my favorites:

Strategy (just lumping together RTS, RTT, etc. for simplicity's sake): Rome: Total War. The level of detail and strategic depth of this game was simply astonishing for its time. I still really enjoy R:TW to this day.

FPS (Single-player): Doom (I+II) and Blood. There are plenty of FPS games, like Half-Life, that I don't think I can even compare to the "old school" shooters I've listed, in that games like Half-Life and games like Doom attempt to accomplish totally different things. More to the point, Doom and Blood achieve the best and purest brand of first-person shooting that I've ever encountered. The levels, weapons, enemies, and basic feel of the combat in both games is absolutely superb. Most importantly, the act of shooting feels immensely powerful and satisfying in the games.

TPS: Max Payne. Some will argue that Max Payne is essentially an FPS, but with the camera backed up a bit. While this is essentially true, I prefer the controls and mechanics of Max Payne to any of the "true" TPS's I've played, most of which feel unnecessarily slow and cumbersome. Max Payne combined a phenomenally dark atmosphere, satisfying, tight shooting mechanics, and exceptionally challenging levels to produce a rewarding and enjoyable experience. Despite its extreme linearity, I've played Max Payne through about three times and had a lot of fun during each playthrough. The game's lasting appeal is, to me, a testament to its immense quality.

RPG: Fallout. The thing that initially set Fallout apart from the pack, and still does, is the weight the game gave to choice. Unlike most RPGs (Kingdoms of Amalur, TES, etc.) which allow the player to turn characters into supermen that can do anything and everything, Fallout forces the player to make difficult and meaningful character development decisions that create a true, specialized role. Resources are also very limited throughout the game, which adds an additional element of complexity through involved inventory management.

Survival-Horror: Amnesia: The Dark Descent and Silent Hill 2. Survival-horror doesn't exist in the mainstream anymore. Resident Evil 4 supposedly "changed" survival-horror, but in truth, RE4 is nothing more than an third-person horror shooter. Since RE4 is part of a series that was previously composed of true survival-horror games, most people, incorrectly, considered RE4 as such. There is no scarcity of resources in RE4 and the enemies are no more a threat than they are in a typical action game. The culmination of these elements not only removes any survival element from RE4, but also castrates the horror. Conversely, Silent Hill 2 provides the player with very few resources, limits, some would argue cheaply, combat effectiveness, and creates a dark, penetrating psychological horror that relies heavily on a perpetually unnerving atmosphere, rather than cheap jump scares. Amnesia takes the Silent Hill 2 approach to survival-horror even further, by completely removing all means of fighting/killing enemies. All enemies encountered in Amnesia are, as a result, extremely scary, in that even a single enemy can easily kill the player.

Multi-genre game: System Shock 2. A lot of people would probably choose Deus Ex for this slot, but, in my opinion, System Shock 2 is undeniably better. Combining first-person shooter, role-playing game, and survival-horror, System Shock 2 expertly implements the various constituent elements of its design. Scarce resources, dangerous enemies, and complex inventory management establish great survival-horror gameplay. The role-playing is similarly fantastic, as, like Fallout, the skills system forces the player to take on a specific role (hacker, shooter, psi user, and others) which leads to difficult decisions as to the best course of development for your character. The shooting isn't very good, but it's far more functional than Deus Ex. The Dark Engine does make the melee wrench a rather satisfying weapon, however.

mr.doo
04-04-2012, 05:01 AM
One question, who would argue max payne is a first person shooter and why ?

sockeatsock
04-04-2012, 05:33 AM
Max Payne is a great FPS. Pity about the guy that runs around in front of you all the time, mimicking your movements.

soldant
04-04-2012, 05:41 AM
One question, who would argue max payne is a first person shooter and why ?
I don't know, because it's not first person. The fact that it's particularly smooth is irrelevant.

EDIT: Oh, to contribute, I agree with Doom and Doom 2. I'll also add for the RTS sector Total Annihilation, for the rudimentary projectile physics. That game was a hell of a lot of fun and the economy was particularly easy to understand but allowed for major efficiency planning.

Vdaxzter
04-04-2012, 05:54 AM
For the record, I think that Max Payne is a TPS, but I've read the argument that it is just a FPS with the camera backed up. The person argued that since Max Payne does not separate the movement of the camera and the movement of the character, as most "modern OTS TPS's do," Max Payne doesn't count as a TPS. I disagree, since MP is, in the most literal sense, a third-person shooter, but I acknowledged the existence of the argument in the OP in case anyone else felt MP isn't a true TPS.

soldant
04-04-2012, 06:24 AM
Look at that! JUST LOOK AT THAT! It responds on topic and spams. Mass Effect was right all along!

Chevy
04-04-2012, 07:17 AM
Look at that! JUST LOOK AT THAT! It responds on topic and spams. Mass Effect was right all along!

I think we have just witnessed Skynet become self aware.

FunnyB
04-04-2012, 07:20 AM
It's just like the Geth! When more and more of them are in close proximity, they get smarter!

HELP US, SHEPARD!

Flint
04-04-2012, 07:40 AM
Outcast, Fallout 2, Deus Ex, Half-Life. All have enough of a classic status that I'd imagine the reasons why they mean so much to me are the same reasons they mean so much to so many people. Also it's 7:39 and I'm too tired to think of original paragraphs for each.

Voon
04-04-2012, 09:34 AM
Deus Ex because Deus Ex

Jockie
04-04-2012, 09:47 AM
Always preferred System Shock 2 over Deus Ex myself as well, the atmosphere and story were just a different level from anything I'd played before. While Deus Ex was undeniably brilliant, it didn't have quite the same impact on me (or my trousers).

Skeletor68
04-04-2012, 10:12 AM
I guess this is a mix of my favourite and what I consider some of the best. Obviously a big difference between the two as a game that's close to my heart may have plenty of flaws.

Super Metroid (SNES)
Super Street Fighter Alpha 3 (PS2)
Morrowind (PC)
Diablo 2 (PC)
Portal (PC)
Terraria (PC)
Dungeon Keeper 2 (PC)
Alpha Centauri (PC)
C&C: Red Alert (PC)
Total Annihilation (PC)
Freelancer (PC)
Freespace 1 (PC)
Deus Ex (PC)
Mass Effect (Xbox)

God, I can't narrow this thing down! I'll have to go write something about them eventually...

Phantoon
04-04-2012, 11:33 AM
I think we have just witnessed Skynet become self aware.
I never thought Skynet would try to annoy us all to death.

DaftPunk
04-04-2012, 11:46 AM
FPS: Stalker:Shadow Of Chernobyl
Runners up: Ghost Recon 1,Rainbow Six:Raven Shield,Deus Ex,Half Life 2.

TPS: Max Payne 2
Runners up:: Hitman:Silent Assasin,Resident Evil 4,Kane And Lynch,Freedom Fighters.

RTS: Company Of Heroes
Runners up: Total War:Medieval 2,Soldiers Heroes Of World War 2,W40k:Dawn Of War,Supreme Commander.

RPG: Gothic 2
Runners up: Alpha Protocol,Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines,Dungeon Siege 2,KOTOR.

Sandbox: Mafia:City Of Lost Heaven
Runners up: GTA 4,Ultimate Spiderman,Protoype,Just Cause 2.

Fighting: Street Fighter 3rd Strike
Runners up:Street Fighter 3rd Strike,Street Fighter 3rd Strike,Street Fighter 3rd Strike,Street Fighter 3rd Strike.

Stealth: Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
Runners up: Hitman:Silent Assasin,Death To Spies,MGS,Thief 2.

Bilbo1981
04-04-2012, 12:49 PM
Strategy: Starcraft

Adventure: Day of the Green Tentacle

FPS: Quake

Fighting: Marvel vs Capcom 2

RPG: Ultima 7

MMORPG: Ultima Online

FPS/RPG: Deus EX!

Sim: Theme Park

Survival/Horror: Alone in the Dark 2

Platform: VVVVVV

Action/adventure: Little Big Adventure 2

Shootemup: Ikaruga

Driving/Racing: Gran Turismo

Terraria has to be my fave game to play with a friend :)

SeanybabeS
04-04-2012, 01:11 PM
Strategy: Rome: Tee-Dub or AoE2. Age of Empires for Nostalgia but Rome:TW for sheer number of hours I ploughed into the game.

FPS (Single-player): Counter-Strike (1.5/1.6 - Never played Beta through 1.3 so don't hate).

TPS: GTA III or Orcs Must Die.

RPG: Skyrim, KoTOR, Mass Effect.

Survival-Horror: Never played too much survival horror. Would Dead Space count? That was pretty good.

Multi-genre game: Deus Ex.

Driving: Gran Tourismo.

I always fail to come up with a single winner :(

Endless Blockade
04-04-2012, 01:16 PM
Fallout 1 & 2, and after them there are far too many for me to decide to be honest.

Wizardry
04-04-2012, 05:15 PM
Runners up: Alpha Protocol,Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines,Dungeon Siege 2,KOTOR.

RPG: Ultima 7

Interesting...

I need some thinking time before I commit to anything.

coldvvvave
04-04-2012, 05:33 PM
Hybrid: VtM:B, Deus Ex
MP FPS: Battlefield games, perhaps 2142
SP FPS: Half-Life
TBS: X-com, JA2
RTS: DoW2: Retribution
RPG: nope, not even going there
JRPG: Valkyria Chronicles
Pseudo JRPG: Septerra Core
Driving: I have no license

gganate
04-04-2012, 06:03 PM
Unreal Tournament
Thief 1 and 2
Half-Life
Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2
Deus Ex
Witcher 1 and 2
All three of the Stalker games.
Freespace
System Shock 2

NathanH
04-04-2012, 06:05 PM
RTS: The best I've played is probably Starcraft 2. I am rating these for single player campaigns, and SC2 just has far more veriety and imagination than anything else. For total amount of fun gained, Age of Empires 2 or SpellForce.

TBS: For the wargame side of these things, Warlord 3: Darklords Rising is excellent. Simple, fast-paced, not too much busywork, and plenty of skill involves. For the 4X side of things, Civilization 4 is probably the objective best game, but Civilization 2 gave me more fun, and I can play a game of Civ 2 much more quickly which I like.

Grand Strategy: Hearts of Iron 2. One minute I am securing my oil supplies. The next managing my production lines. The next I'm co-ordinating an assault on Moscow. Then I'm dealing with the fact that my attack on Gibraltar has fucked up because of a random snowstorm. This game can hurt to play, but in a good way.

FPS: Thief: The Metal Age. This is pretty much the perfect Thief game, which is pretty much the perfect action game. I enjoyed Dark Project more because I played it first and I played it a lot, but Metal Age is definitely better. If you want an actual shooter, then probably CoD2, but I don't like shooters much. I do like the bits of CoD2 where you're a guy in a big battle.

RPG: Baldur's Gate 2. This is a wonderful game with loads of fun quests, fun characters, fun spells, lovely graphics, amazing encounters. Definitely my favourite game of all.

Action-RPG: Vampire: Bloodlines. Because vampires.

Casual: Puzzle Quest or Audiosurf. Unbelievably addictive games. I thought Puzzle Quest was just a joke, played the demo for a laugh, couldn't stop.

Sim: Railroad Tycoon 2. This is a hard category to judge, there are some games i really love like SimCity 2000 and Capitalism Plus, but I like trains a bit more.

Other games that I don't know how to classify: Terraria and Duels of the Planeswalkers.

DaftPunk
04-04-2012, 06:19 PM
Interesting...

I need some thinking time before I commit to anything.

I don't get it,whats wrong with my pick :o ?

I demand explanation!

Tritagonist
04-04-2012, 10:52 PM
It's hard to argue with the clock, so I'd have to put up World of Warcraft (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_of_Warcraft) (2004) and OpenTTD (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenTTD) (and the original (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transport_Tycoon) (1994)) as far as favourites go. I imagine everybody is familiar with WoW, for better or worse. OpenTTD has improved upon the simple, but brilliant in its execution, concepts of the original 1994 game - and thanks to dozens of excellent add-ons, I think its isometric graphics look better than do most attempts at full 3D; there's even a screenshot forum here (http://www.tt-forums.net/vieworum.php?f=47).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF4Q5PNqlMU

Other favourites (of yesteryear) include: TrackMania United (2007) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trackmania_United#TrackMania_United), Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun (1999) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Command_%26_Conquer_Tiberian_Sun), Age of Empires II (1999) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_Empires_II), Dragon Age: Origins (2009) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Age:_Origins), Grand Prix 4 (2002) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Prix_4), and Medal of Honor: Allied Assault (2002) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medal_of_Honor_Allied_Assault).

Vdaxzter
05-04-2012, 05:02 AM
FPS: Stalker:Shadow Of Chernobyl
Runners up: Ghost Recon 1,Rainbow Six:Raven Shield,Deus Ex,Half Life 2.

TPS: Max Payne 2
Runners up:: Hitman:Silent Assasin,Resident Evil 4,Kane And Lynch,Freedom Fighters.

RTS: Company Of Heroes
Runners up: Total War:Medieval 2,Soldiers Heroes Of World War 2,W40k:Dawn Of War,Supreme Commander.

Sandbox: Mafia:City Of Lost Heaven
Runners up: GTA 4,Ultimate Spiderman,Protoype,Just Cause 2.

Fighting: Street Fighter 3rd Strike
Runners up:Street Fighter 3rd Strike,Street Fighter 3rd Strike,Street Fighter 3rd Strike,Street Fighter 3rd Strike.

Stealth: Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
Runners up: Hitman:Silent Assasin,Death To Spies,MGS,Thief 2.

I'm curious as to why you picked MP2 instead of MP.

Hypernetic
05-04-2012, 06:46 AM
MP-FPS: TF2, hands down. The Battlefield series comes in at a close second, but TF2 is just perfect in my eyes.

SP-FPS: I'm not sure really, if I go on times replayed it's probably HL2 + episodes. I like a lot of single player FPS games for different reasons (Far Cry and Crysis for open world, Bioshock for atmosphere, etc, etc, etc).

RPG: The Elder Scrolls series.

RTS: Company of Heroes. I'm not a huge multiplayer RTS player (mostly because I suck) so I'm going mainly on single player campaigns here. Company of Heroes just has an awesome campaign and it's gameplay actually did something to advance the genre beyond what was done in the first Command and Conquer already (lookin' at you SC2!)

MOBA: League of Legends. LoL is just a lot of fun with friends.

MMO: WoW. I know everyone apparently hates WoW, but I've played every MMO under the sun and yet I always end up coming back to WoW. I don't really play any MMO right now, but if I had to chose a favorite it would definitely be WoW. WoW has ended up meaning more to me than just gaming, I've made a lot of real friendships with guild mates in WoW, ones that have carried over to real life.

Sims: Mechwarrior 2 and TIE Fighter.... One day this genre will be good again, I'm not holding my breath for F2P MWO though.

Nalano
05-04-2012, 06:55 AM
All-time Favorites (in no way meant to reflect anything but my opinion):

SPFPS: HL
runner up: NOLF, Portal, Mirror's Edge

MPFPS: UT2k4
runner up: CS, BF2

TPS: Max Payne
runner up: Oni, Alice, SR3

MMO: WoW
runner up: APB*, WAR

RPG: Fallout
runner up: MotB, ME

RTS: CoH
runner up: ETW, AoE, SC, Syndicate Wars

TBS: SMAC
runner up: Civ4

God: SC4
runner up: DK2, Tropico 4

Honorable Mention: I76

*its lows were very low, but its highs were very high

Vdaxzter
05-04-2012, 07:38 AM

SPFPS: HL
runner up: NOLF, Portal, Mirror's Edge

MPFPS: UT2k4
runner up: CS, BF2

runner up: Oni, Alice, SR3

runner up: APB*, WAR

runner up: MotB, ME

RTS: CoH
runner up: ETW, AoE, SC, Syndicate Wars

TBS: SMAC
runner up: Civ4

God: SC4
runner up: DK2, Tropico 4

Honorable Mention: I76

Oh, lord. The acronyms!

luckystriker
05-04-2012, 07:39 AM
My favorite games from a few of my favorite genres. Probably in order of preference as well.

RTS: Starcraft Brood War

Space Sim: Freespace 2

RPG: Baldur’s Gate series

Strategy: Medieval II: Kingdoms (especially The Third Age (LoTR) mod), Civ 4

Driving: Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec (PS2)

ARPG: Diablo II + xpac

Fighter: Virtua Fighter 3 (Coin-op, Dreamcast versions)

edit: Added Puzzle: Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo (Sega Saturn)

Endless Blockade
05-04-2012, 08:18 AM
Oh, lord. The acronyms!

My thoughts exactly. I can decipher most acronyms usually, but I do see quite a few I have no idea what they mean when people talk about games which makes it impossible for me to look up games that sound interesting when the origin of my interest is just an acronym.

Tritagonist
05-04-2012, 11:16 AM
I'll consider this my community-service for today. The "acronym + game" search term in Google.

Correct where needed.

SPFPS: Half-Life
runner up: No One Lives Forever, Portal, Mirror's Edge

MPFPS: Unreal Tournament 2004
runner up: Counter-Strike, Battlefield 2

runner up: Oni, Alice, Saints Row: The Third

MMO: World of Warcraft
runner up: All Points Bulletin*, Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning

runner up: Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer, Mass Effect

RTS: Company of Heroes
runner up: Empire: Total War, Age of Empires, StarCraft, Syndicate Wars

TBS: Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri
runner up: Civilization IV

God: SimCity 4
runner up: Dungeon Keeper 2, Tropico 4

Honorable Mention: Interstate '76

DaftPunk
05-04-2012, 11:38 AM
I'm curious as to why you picked MP2 instead of MP.

HM honestly i enjoyed it more,but still i also very like first MP.

Hillbert
05-04-2012, 01:39 PM
TBS: Alpha Centauri. Still a brilliant game. Just edges out UFO:Enemy Unknown

RTS: Homeworld "Kharak is Burning..."

FPS: Bioshock 1 + 2. (honourable mention to Portal 2 and Half Life 2)

TPS: Uncharted 1,2 and 3. (yes, I know PS3 only...) To me they epitomise an on-rails linear cinematic experience done right.

Puzzle: SpaceChem (and Portal 1+2 and Lemmings)

RPG: This is tricky as there are a lot I can't decide between. Call it a draw between Final Fantasy VII, Baldur's Gate and Skyrim.

Multi Genre: System Shock 2. The Daddy.

groovychainsaw
05-04-2012, 02:07 PM
Hmmm - I could easily put down 100 favourites for every genre (and I always forget a few), but let's see:

TBS: UfO: Enemy Unknown (X-com)
Runners up: Civ II, Master of Magic, HoMaM III, Alpha Centauri
(TBS obviously peaked around '95!)

RTS: Ground Control
Runners up: Anything by Relic; Homeworld/Company of Heroes/DoW 1 + 2
(I prefer my RTS single player, and with no bases if possible!)

SPFPS: (I'm going to get slated for this :-D) Halo
Runners up: Portal 1+ 2, Half-life 2
(Combat in the original halo was/is still brilliantly tactical compared to most other shooters, so many good ideas to arrive in one game)

ARPG: Dark Souls
Runner up: Demon's Souls, Diablo
(No brainer, dark souls remains the best game of this console era)

Racing: Project Gotham racing 4
Runners up: Burnout 3, Gran turismo 2
(I've played nearly all racing games ever (massively exaggerated statement ahoy!), and lean towards arcade racers. Project Gotham had that sweet spot of fun/serious handling absolutely perfect)

I abstain from other categories - I couldn't pick an RPG out of the many, many rpgs I've played. And quite a few games don't fit neatly into a genre. Deus ex would probably be an rpg for me rather than a spfps - otherwise that'd probably be in there. Baldurs gate etc. would be in. But also FFVII etc. - formative games from my youth ;-).

Someone will definitely list one here after me that makes me slap my forehead and go - 'Of course, that was the best!' but there you go, that's the fun of making these lists and seeing what others come up with...

Gilead
05-04-2012, 02:09 PM
First post, have lurked around for a while.

RPG: Baldur's Gate 2. Perfect combination of good setting, good story and reasonably tactical combat. (People call the Forgotten Realms bland, but BG2 had so many fun locations. Which I won't spoil here.)

Multiplayer FPS: Starsiege: Tribes or Team Fortress 2. TF2 probably wins out because, on reflection, I liked Tribes best when using one of the mods that changed virtually everything about it.

Puzzle: Portal, if it counts as a puzzle game.

Adventure: Zork: Grand Inquisitor or Curse of Monkey Island. Z:GI was the last (and best) Zork game; like Myst but actually fun, and with a sense of humour, and gleeful overacting. Curse of Monkey Island was also great, if only for the Pirate Song.

???: Worms: Armageddon. I'm not sure what genre it is, but it's my favourite of the series and they've never surpassed it.

Racing: Look, I know this doesn't make the best impression, but I really enjoyed Episode 1: Racer, the pod-racing tie in for the terrible Star Wars prequel. I'm not great at racing games in general, and it was enjoyable arcade fun I've never found to be present in any other racing game in quite the same way.

Also, you know what I like? Discounted shoes, and viagra. At low, low prices.

Oshada
05-04-2012, 02:14 PM
FPS: Call of Duty 2 (mainly because it was my first FPS), TF2 is a very close second.

RTS: Age of Empires II/expansion

TPS: Mass Effect 2/3

RPG: Dragon Age Origins, Fallout 2/New Vegas (didn't play 3.)

Turn based strategy: Probably the Fire Emblem series or FFT/FFTA/FFTA2 (I haven't played many of these on PC!)

sk2k
05-04-2012, 06:01 PM
Here are my favourite games

C64: Below the Root, Turrican

Amiga: Captive, Ambermoon, Hunter, Dungeon Master

PC: Carrier Command, Gunship 2000, Alone in the Dark, Doom, Blood, Hexen, Duke Nukem 3D, Midwinter, Albion, System Shock 2, Outcast, Gothic, Deus Ex, Dead Space, Fallout 3 (with FWE mod), Batman: Arkham Asylum

Nalano
05-04-2012, 06:52 PM
I'll consider this my community-service for today. The "acronym + game" search term in Google.

Correct where needed.

Thanks, tho you could have also expanded "Alice" to "American McGee's Alice"

Vdaxzter
05-04-2012, 06:55 PM
Thanks, tho you could have also expanded "Alice" to "American McGee's Alice"

I worked them all out shortly after my post, but "Alice" was pretty clear.

Megagun
05-04-2012, 07:54 PM
Star Control 2, Deus Ex, Freespace 2

TailSwallower
05-04-2012, 09:25 PM
RPG: Fallout 1. Funnily enough I'm probably more likely to go back to 2 because of the improvements to companions and the like, but I still think 1 is better. It's more certain of itself, it's purer; Fallout 2 feels kind of watered down with the extra emphasis on 'teh funnies'.

FPS: I think the FPS that I have enjoyed the most, and put the most number of hours into (after Action Quake 2) would be the original Halo. Potentially blasphemous, but I got totally wrapped up in the story, and I found Legendary to be the perfect sort of challenge. I never enjoyed the sequels as much as I enjoyed the originals.

RTS: The RTS that most holds a special place in my heart is Dark Reign. Notable mentions go to Homeworld, Total Annihilation, SC1&2, CoH and DoW2 (I don't feel like I've spent enough time with CoH, but it could be a contender for the top prize).

...I guess that's enough for now.

Pumkins123
11-04-2012, 03:31 AM
Super Mario galaxy 1 and 2, The legend of Zelda-skyward sword, diablo 2, the legend of Zelda - twilight princess, super Mario 64,
Paper Mario -the thousand year door, the legend of Zelda-majoras mask, donkey kong country, tetris, the legend of Zelda-ocarina of time, metroid prime trilogy, Mario kart 7, Pikmin

ado
11-04-2012, 08:13 AM
I dread threads like this, but I decided not to pussy out and name everything that comes to mind, but to limit myself to selecting one game and naming three runners up per genre of my choosing. I shall bold up my picks for people who like to skim through these long posts (slackers!). So here it goes:

FPS - Arguably my favorite genre, but definitely my favorite game in the genre is Half-Life 2. In my honest opinion it still has the best FPS campaign; it raised the bar so damn high when it came out that it's yet to be surpassed. Modern FPS games need to sit down and take notes on what diversity, pacing and atmosphere are; and HL2 is the perfect teacher.

Runners up: DooM (the obvious choice, so sorry for that. But it does feed my more primal urges of carnage and slaughter), No One Lives Forever 2 (I prefer it to it's predecessor and think that it did pretty much everything better; a perfect blend of espionage parody and FPS action) and Call of Duty 2 (no joke, it's not only the best campaign in the series but also the best war themed FPS).

RPG - A love and hate genre for me that's riddled with some of the best games in creation; still the standout title will always be Baldur's Gate 2. The depth, ambition and complexity of the game are awesome to say the least; and not only in the game's core systems, but also in the writing and art design. Despite being set in the most generic of settings, the game feels truly unique in every conceivable way. No quest feels arbitrary, and some side quests in this fantasy epic could easily be the center pieces of other, lesser games.

Runners up: Diablo (I often call it the game that made me love games; unfortunately the sequel lost out on some of that delicious atmosphere that the original gave out in spades), Fallout (a truly unique and darkly hilarious game; a diamond in the rough) and Dark Souls (a standout game in the genre; it's the anti-RPG in a lot of ways, focusing on skill in combat instead of stat min-maxing, minimalistic and poetic narrative instead of walls of lore and exposition, and creative world and level design instead of the boring and cliche locales of most other games in this genre).

3rd Person Action - Such a rich and diverse genre that's riddled with outstanding games. It's hard to really cherry pick one single game here so I'll go with my gut instinct and just say Shadow of the Colossus. It's a rare game, not only in this genre but also in the whole of gaming, that plays with your heart strings and doesn't come off as forced or unjustified. The ending especially is hauntingly beautiful and melancholy; but then again it's hardly representative of what the majority of this game is truly about. It's about the pure exhilaration of climbing and besting a series of towering monstrosities.

Runners up: Metal Gear Solid 4 (apart from the eccentrically unique world design and nail-bitingly tense and diverse gameplay, MGS4 has the best presentational values of any game out there; in a lot of ways it's the perfect blockbuster videogame that also happens to be a true anime), GTA IV (a modern crime epic in every conceivable way, and the controversy that surrounded it only reinforces that claim) and Max Payne (Hong Kong action meets pulp noir to make one awesome and unique gaming experience; let's hope that Max Payne 3 can recapture some of that slow-mo magic).

Puzzle - I love puzzle games but a lot of them are very susceptible to repetitive design and gameplay. Not Portal however. The depth of this game despite of it's minimalistic design astonishes me every time I play it. And I'm not only talking about the design, story, humor and gameplay, but also about the abundant symbolism and subtext within it, and how clear and concise it is. For me, it's the first game that broke out of the confines of the medium and became a true artistic masterpiece.

Runners up: ICO (however awesome Portal might be, I can't help but feel that it also stands on the shoulders of giants as well; probably starting with this one right here), Portal 2 (still more Portal and it's still amazing; although brevity is the the soul of wit and therefore the sequel doesn't quite reach the highs of it's predecessor. Aim for the starts and you might just get to the Moon, amirite guys?) and World of Goo (such a stupidly unappreciated game; quirky and colorful design with a very engrossing and yet deceptively simple core gameplay mechanic).

Simulation - I do enjoy a good sim, and because of my love of driving I must say that Gran Turismo 5 is probably my favorite. It boasts an ungodly amount of cars, from a silly Fiat 500 to the Ferrari F1 race car. The track list is very diverse and the Gran Turismo mode is still an addictive feature that keeps me obsessing over my garage. But the truth of the matter is that I'm nuts about the game's driving model, and nothing really brings me as much joy in gaming as whizzing around Nurburgring in my suped-up bimmer.

Runners up: Silent Hunter III (dear lord what a rewarding feeling it is to sink those battleships with your torpedoes; all sexual allusions are completely on purpose, because I do think that there is some sexual release going on here. It's very orgasmic, since you work very hard for every torpedo launch, and when you hit the mark it's usually over in seconds), IL-2 Sturmovik (even after all these years it remains the ww2 flight sim to play; primarily because of it's unparalleled flight model) and PES 4 (it was THE football sim on the PS2, and although better football games have come out since none of them have provided as many sleepless nights as this one).

Indie - I find it a bit unfair to lump all these outstanding games under a single category since I firmly believe that there's no quality gap between an average AAA title and a small-time downloadable game, but then again how would one categorize some of these? Take my top choice for example: Minecraft. Is it a FPS? Hardly. But whatever it might be, it's quite amazing. It borrows the best parts of lego (the building), removes the annoying part (the limited supply) and adds an insane amount of other fun features on top; including survival, crafting and my favorite, exploration. It's a marvel of human creativity and quite possibly a glimpse in to the future of gaming.

Runners up: Super Meat Boy (Charming, hilarious and tough as nails; it's the game that gladly points out that there's a little masochist in all of us. In my opinion it's the best 2d platformer since the SNES days), The Binding of Isaac (what makes Isaac such a great game, apart from it's amazing and addictive gameplay elements, is the morbid humor. It's a game that's got a pair and is ready to go there, all for our amusement) and Braid (I'm not going to praise this game for it's "artistic" merits because too much has already been made of too little in my opinion. But Braid still remains a top game, primarily because of the gameplay mechanics and the delightful art style and score).

Multiplayer - Everyone enjoys besting a fellow human being in a competitive manner, and I am no exception. But I prefer to see it done in a humorous way while my opponents limbs and entrails are flying all over the place, so there's little surprise that Team Fortress 2 gets the nod here. The game is all about fun, and is not rage inducing like some of it's genre counterparts. I'm also one of the people who wholeheartedly embraces the hats and items and whatnot, as long as it stays mostly cosmetic and does not get in the way of the fun.

Runners up: EVE Online (my time in EVE was short, but extremely rich and eye-opening. I love the idea of a player driven universe and EVE has really lived up to it's ambitions. If I ever returned to MMO gaming, I'd return to this one), Left 4 Dead 2 (I'm a sucker for FPS coop and L4D2 is the top game for that, no competition. Everything about it is spot on, from the humor to the excessive and satisfying gore) and World of Warcraft (this monster claimed years of my life, and I might never forgive it for that. But it's still the best closed MMO out there).

Since I have little liking for games of the strategic sort I decided not to make a long post even longer by blathering about something I have no idea about. But I will say that I do quite enjoy the Civilization games and think that RollerCoaster Tycoon needs mentioning as well (even though it's not strictly a strategy game).

Heliocentric
11-04-2012, 12:18 PM
Best ranged weapon: Deus Ex Human Revolution (vending machine)
Best melee weapon: Natural Selection (Onos devour) (halflife 1 mod)
Best scorched earth: Company of Heroes
Best murder training software: Hitman Blood Money
Best telekinetic manslaughter: Trine 2
Best ritual sacrifice: Sacrifice
Best improvised explosives: Project Reality (BF2 mod)
Best mandatory multiplayer prerequisite: Splinter cell Chaos Theory Versus (examination map)
Best justified paranoia: Hidden: Source (halflife 2 mod)

Harlander
11-04-2012, 01:29 PM
It's already been raised here, but every time the question of my favourite game comes up, one title springs to mind: Little Big Adventure 2. Purest delight.

Others: ArmA 2 multiplayer (probably the most time I've sunk into any game), Nethack, Beyond Good & Evil, Chaos (Martin Brownlow's Atari ST remake), Neverwinter Nights multiplayer, the Deus Ex series (even Invisible War was alright ;) ).. the list probably goes on

kyrieee
11-04-2012, 01:58 PM
One that hasn't been mentioned here, and doesn't get mentioned a lot in general, is Myth II.
It still holds up today I think, the narration in particular.

Vexing Vision
11-04-2012, 02:17 PM
FPS: Prey. The setting, the atmosphere, the storyline - yes, I really enjoyed it. Amazing stuff. Unforgettable. Runner's Up: System Shock 2, Quake 2 (because of the utterly sublime soundtrack).

TPS: Does Bayonetta count as a shooter? She has guns. Kind of. Seriously enjoyed Bayonetta.

RPG: Planescape Torment. Best characters and dialogues ever, and that's what I play RPGs for. Runners Up: Wizardry 8, Baldur's Gate 2.

TBS: Dominions 3. Hands down.

RTS: A toss up between Warlords Battlecry 2 and Kohan 1. What's this "*craft" stuff everyone's talking about?

Brawler: The old Double Dragon arcade machine.

Co-Op: For 2-player co-op, Portal 2 was absolute bliss. 3-player co-op, it's Trine 2. For 4+ players, I'd go with League of Legends.

Puzzle SpaceChem.

Wizardry
11-04-2012, 05:15 PM
RPG: Planescape Torment. Best characters and dialogues ever, and that's what I play RPGs for. Runners Up: Wizardry 8, Baldur's Gate 2.
Contradictory?

Statoke
11-04-2012, 05:18 PM
Here are ten games I could name of the top of my head. These are not necessarily my favourites or in any sort of order.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Shenmue
Shinobi III
Pokemon Blue
Star Wars Battlefront II
Tecnhu
Dragon Age: Origins
Mass Effect 2
Half Life 2

I could go on for hours listing every game that was awesome.

Vexing Vision
11-04-2012, 05:45 PM
Contradictory?

Not at all. The reason why I love Wizardry 8 (instead of just liking it) is the absolutely outstanding and fantastic party-banter. I wish more games would allow me to give my NPCs real personality.

Also "DUTY. HONOUR, VICTORY!!!!!!" *squee* So cute!

Doesn'tmeananything
11-04-2012, 06:02 PM
FPS/RPG: Deus EX!

Deus Ex is not an RPG.

Multi-genre game: Deus Ex.(

Ugh. Also Deus Ex belongs to the immersive sim genre. It's a handy name that, I think, more people should use.

Again, Gothic 2 is not an RPG. There's a thick layer of direct real-time layer input, and stats only provide a certain depth while not being a crucial part of the system.

SephKing
11-04-2012, 06:27 PM
Strategy: Shogun 2 (I haven't played many to be honest)
Runner(s) Up: Commandos 2, Red Alert

FPS (Single-player): Half Life
Runner(s) Up: Half Life 2, ARMA 2, No One Lives Forver 2, Duke Nukem 3D

TPS: Even though it didn't have the best reception, ONI is probably my most played third person action game.
Runner(s) Up: GTA 3

RPG: Deus Ex
Runner(s) Up: Final Fantasy 7, The Witcher 2

Online: Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead (M&B Warband a very close 2nd)
Runner(s) Up:

Survival-Horror: Resident Evil 2
Runner(s) Up: Amnesia, Resident Evil 4, Cryostasis

Nalano
11-04-2012, 06:27 PM
Deus Ex is not an RPG.

Ugh. Also Deus Ex belongs to the immersive sim genre. It's a handy name that, I think, more people should use.

Again, Gothic 2 is not an RPG. There's a thick layer of direct real-time layer input, and stats only provide a certain depth while not being a crucial part of the system.

Stats don't make the game.

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules."

Gary Gygax

What we've learned about RPGs is that an RPG is whatever the company affixes the label to.

Tikey
11-04-2012, 06:48 PM
Best "great game despite bugs and lack of content": KOTOR II
Best Everything: Deus Ex
Best crashes: Burnout Paradise
Best Walking Sim: Morrowind
Best use of an amnesiac protagonist: Planescape Torment
Best "That's not an RPG" RPG: Alpha Protocol
Best Bad Game: Path of Neo
Best Voice Over: X-Men Legends 2's Colossus

Arona Daal
11-04-2012, 09:46 PM
Games to take with mo on a remote little Island :

Pretty much all that have been named so far...and:

Mods : Natural Selection, Project Reality, Neo Team Fortress Classic (submod of TFC, R.I.P.), Homeworld 2 Complex Mod

Retrogames : (c64) Fort Apocalypse , Jumpman Series (Atari St) Oids (Gameboy) Zelda Links Awakening (Psx) Final fantasy Tactics,Star Ocean 2 (Pc Remakes) Bruce Lee ,Jetpac

Indie : OpenTyrian ,Dwarf Fortress,Incursion Halls of the Goblin King, Stone Soup ,Spelunky ,Hydorah

Strategy : Tacops ,Dow I Series (including Soulstorm),Starcraft Brood War , Master of Orion 2 ,Homeworld Cataclysm ,Distant Worlds , Winspmbt , Hearts of Iron 2

Shooters : Quake 3 Arena , HL 1 ,System Shock 2 ,Unreal tournament

Rpg : Ultima VI,Infinity Engine Games

"Tactical" : Xcom Apocalypse , Ufo Aftershock,Men of War

Most Remake-worthy: Emperor of the Fading Suns

Wizardry
11-04-2012, 10:25 PM
Deus Ex is not an RPG.

Nice parody of me. I give it 7/10.

Heliocentric
11-04-2012, 10:31 PM
Nice parody of me. I give it 7/10.

http://www.giantbomb.com/immersive-sim/92-5700/

Wizardry
11-04-2012, 10:40 PM
http://www.giantbomb.com/immersive-sim/92-5700/
Thanks for that link but I don't know what you want me to do with it.

Heliocentric
11-04-2012, 11:13 PM
Thanks for that link but I don't know what you want me to do with it.

Its not an impression of you, its a long standing notion.

Wizardry
11-04-2012, 11:15 PM
Its not an impression of you, its a long standing notion.
I don't know, dude. There's nothing on that page that is a long standing notion of me. Having said that, I'd happily accept this term if it means we can dump half of all action RPGs into it. It would suit The Elder Scrolls series, Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

Heliocentric
11-04-2012, 11:22 PM
I don't know, dude. There's nothing on that page that is a long standing notion of me. Having said that, I'd happily accept this term if it means we can dump half of all action RPGs into it. It would suit The Elder Scrolls series, Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

Maybe not Oblivion due to the extreme funneling and issues with "elaborate and believable game world" but otherwise, yeah I guess most of these games if the AI's behaviour was a little better as to allow more than just "kill your way to room B" to be valid methods, But hell, I'd totally ban Bioshock from it. Bioshock is a shooter with a a few cool things, but that's all it really is.

Wizardry
11-04-2012, 11:35 PM
Maybe not Oblivion due to the extreme funneling and issues with "elaborate and believable game world" but otherwise, yeah I guess most of these games if the AI's behaviour was a little better as to allow more than just "kill your way to room B" to be valid methods, But hell, I'd totally ban Bioshock from it. Bioshock is a shooter with a a few cool things, but that's all it really is.
Well, you can stealth through dungeons, kill things using weapons, kill stuff using magic, run through using magic and summon stuff to fight for you. The AI might suck, but the AI in Deus Ex sucked too. I agree with BioShock though. That's definitely not an immersive sim.

Dariune
11-04-2012, 11:40 PM
Because i dont like a lot of genres im going to just list my fave games of all time.

Flashback - Megadrive (Best platformer IMO)
Bioforge - PC (Best action/adventure IMO)
Worlds of Legend - PC (on my 8086 - god im old)
Baldurs Gate 2 (Need i say more)
Fallout 1 & 2 (Need i say more?)
Morrowind (Really was atmospheric)
Europa Universalis 3 (Best grand strategy game)
UFO Enemy Unknown (Best game!)
UFO Afterlight (Really really good attempt with great innovations)
The witcher (ARPG)
Ascendancy (Started the 4x genre for me and was very atmospheric)
Masters of Orion 2 (Pinnacle of the 4x series for me)
Civilizatioon 4 (Good modern 4x)
Mount and blade (And as of yet undefined genre with great replayablity and mods)
The Guild 2 (Great medieval sim with just a few bugs)
Empire Earth (Great strategy game)
Total annihalation (Great big strategy game)

I think thats enough UFO ENemy unknown is my fave though

Doesn'tmeananything
12-04-2012, 06:09 AM
Stats don't make the game.
Stats make an RPG.

Yes, although, of course, ever since Daggerfall Bethesda made quite terrible immersive sims.

Well, you can stealth through dungeons, kill things using weapons, kill stuff using magic, run through using magic and summon stuff to fight for you. The AI might suck, but the AI in Deus Ex sucked too. I agree with BioShock though. That's definitely not an immersive sim.

What was wrong with AI in Deus Ex?

Nalano
12-04-2012, 06:24 AM
Stats make an RPG.

Says who?

10char

Doesn'tmeananything
12-04-2012, 06:24 AM
Mr. Common Sense.

Nalano
12-04-2012, 06:43 AM
Mr. Common Sense.

So, basically, your ass?

Doesn'tmeananything
12-04-2012, 06:46 AM
You're welcome to argue otherwise.

Nalano
12-04-2012, 07:00 AM
You're welcome to argue otherwise.

I don't argue with asses.

agentorange
12-04-2012, 07:05 AM
My favorite game is trying to guess how many pages a thread will reach before Nolano and some other jerk derail it into the oblivion of genre definition arguments.

Hanban
12-04-2012, 07:16 AM
Hmm! I think:
RTS: Homeworld 1/2, either of them would be my first pick! As far as strategy games in general go, Homeworld is still my favourite but Rome: Total War comes close.

RPG: Fallout 2 is just lovely.

Stealth: Thief is a personal favourite of mine. Great sneaking, and Garrett is for some reason quite likable.

FPS: I had to sit and think about this one a long time and I realized I don't have a favourite FPS game in the same way I do with other genres. I like a lot of FPS games but rarely do I ever enjoy them enough to get a favourite. So I think I'd rather put an FPS hybrid as favourite here and I'll go along with Fallout: NV.

Doesn'tmeananything
12-04-2012, 08:02 AM
I don't argue with asses.
Imagine a pretty lady then.

My favorite game is trying to guess how many pages a thread will reach before Nolano and some other jerk derail it into the oblivion of genre definition arguments.
So what, everyone should dump their lists and pat themselves on the back for a job well done?

Whatever discussion may arise here, it does not require obligatory participation.

Nalano
12-04-2012, 08:49 AM
So what, everyone should dump their lists and pat themselves on the back for a job well done?

Somebody's pissed he's only thought of as "some other jerk."

Doesn'tmeananything
12-04-2012, 09:08 AM
Even though you cannot imagine how deep is that emotional scar, I also said that because I think it is unreasonable to discourage any kind of discussion on an internet forum.

Dariune
12-04-2012, 09:36 AM
Even though you cannot imagine how deep is that emotional scar, I also said that because I think it is unreasonable to discourage any kind of discussion on an internet forum.

Hehe I like this guy ^^^

kyrieee
12-04-2012, 02:10 PM
Make a thread about insulting eachother in a section of the forum that isn't about PC games and have it out there instead please.

cptgone
12-04-2012, 02:31 PM
best sim:
- Theme Hospital (such a shame it only has a campaign mode though. where is my sequel?)
[such a shame Sid Meier's Railroads crashes so often]

best strategy:
- Master of Orion 2 (needs a proper sequel so hard!)
- UFO - Terror from the Deep
- Hearts of Iron II
- Age of Empires series
ages playing Civilization II, III and IV, and Alpha Centauri. maybe Civ V will one day rule 'em all, but vanilla Civ V leaves so much to be desired]

best MMO:
- Eve Online (not just a game ;))

best puzzler:
- Spacechem (makes me feel stupid though)

best RPG:
- Fallout 1 and 2

best adventure:
- Grim Fandango (only played it once though, at launch. i plan to make amends!)

favourite old skool arcade game:
- Gyrodine

Lambchops
12-04-2012, 03:19 PM
Too lazy to divide by genre or put in any particular order but . . .

Grim Fandango (unique style, great story, great characters, properly funny)
Outcast (Best action adventure around, sequel cancellation a travesty)
Little Big Adventure 2 (Charm personified)
Beyond Good and Evil (Almost as charming as LBA2, fantastic world, photography thing was a nice touch)
Psychonauts (endlessley inventive, utterly cpativating, too many collectables can be forgiven!)
Deus Ex (multiple solutions, unintentionally brilliant voice acting, enjoyable conspiracy theory nonsense. Plus Greasels!)
Half Life (A game changer)
Max Payne (Edges out Serious Sam in most enjoyable shootathon stakes)
Worms Armageddon (rudely named worms, incredible multiplayer shenanigans, series was perfected by this point and boy was it good)
Planescape Torment (the game that made me realise I didn't completely dislike RPGs, if only because it's basically an adventure game and a damn invloved good one at that)
Spelunky (first hard as nails game I've ever really got on with, beautifully judged and has that "just one more go syndrome")
Audiosurf (it just works with (most) music and as several other efforts have shown this isn't an easy thing to achieve)
Portal (One of those games which made you wonder why it hadn't been done before. perfectly executed)
Spacechem (possibly the best puzzle game of all time)
Unreal Tournament 2004 (the only multiplayer shooter, along with UT99 of course, which I actually played a lot online, glorious over the top gibbage and was always fun, even when getting absolutely trounced)

freefpsgames2012
13-04-2012, 12:35 AM
My favorites are Morrowind, the current Skyrim, Borderlands, Fallout (I have fond fond memories of this one)

CitizenDickbag
13-04-2012, 12:30 PM
Stats make an RPG.

Roleplaying makes an RPG, ie making choices for the protagonist. Do you know why RPGs have stats? Because before electronic games were a thing, we needed numbers to roll against in our games to keep things fair and prevent people from declaring that their character just killed God and ascended to heaven and took his place, and therefore he gets to take home the rest of the group's pizza.

NathanH
13-04-2012, 01:50 PM
There isn't much roleplaying in any video game, let alone RPGs. When you are roleplaying you get to think of what to do and then something (rules, GM, physics, player agreement, whatever) decides what the consequences are. Thus, you are creating your own story (collaboratively, of course). In cRPGs, what people call "roleplaying" and "choice'n'consequence" is more akin to choose-your-own-adventure books, in which you select which of a couple of someone else's stories you get to be told. That's not really roleplaying; it is very rare for the choice you actually want to make to be available to you. I think I get more real roleplaying in Crusader Kings 2, because that gives me a much wider variety of interactions with the NPCs, with a much wider variety of responses.

CitizenDickbag
13-04-2012, 02:46 PM
There isn't much roleplaying in any video game, let alone RPGs. When you are roleplaying you get to think of what to do and then something (rules, GM, physics, player agreement, whatever) decides what the consequences are. Thus, you are creating your own story (collaboratively, of course). In cRPGs, what people call "roleplaying" and "choice'n'consequence" is more akin to choose-your-own-adventure books, in which you select which of a couple of someone else's stories you get to be told. That's not really roleplaying; it is very rare for the choice you actually want to make to be available to you. I think I get more real roleplaying in Crusader Kings 2, because that gives me a much wider variety of interactions with the NPCs, with a much wider variety of responses.
I agree with all of this, but sometimes the CYOA stuff is enough, I guess?

Anyone remember the DM client in Neverwinter Nights, or more obscurely, the Storyteller client in Vampire: Redemption? I really wish more games would have something like that where a player can use the game's assets to gamemaster a P&P-style adventure.

Vexing Vision
13-04-2012, 05:01 PM

Anyone remember the DM client in Neverwinter Nights, or more obscurely, the Storyteller client in Vampire: Redemption? I really wish more games would have something like that where a player can use the game's assets to gamemaster a P&P-style adventure.

And there's a few exceptional CYOA books that allow for roleplaying. It's all a matter of writing. :) The Lone Wolf books for example (and I'm so happy these get rereleased) are exceptional for allowing you to actually roleplay the main character. Also, do yourself the favour and check out the Blood Sword series (hard to get). It's multiplayer roleplaying goodness.

Oh yeah, to get back on topic:

The best Choose Your Own Adventure Book is either the second Lone Wolf series, or Blood Sword 1-5 (3 being the most amazing book EVER).

The best Choose Your Own Adventure-type Game is King of Dragonpass. Which is also a roleplaying game and has stats.

Phantoon
13-04-2012, 05:07 PM
I thought Descent 1 and 2 were some of the finest shooters ever.

Which is convenient, because they're both on sale for a measly 3 bucks on GOG right now!
http://www.gog.com/gamecard/descent_1_descent_2

(Yes I came here just to plug that, because holy crap Descent 1 and 2 for three bucks)

Wizardry
13-04-2012, 05:19 PM
Roleplaying makes an RPG, ie making choices for the protagonist. Do you know why RPGs have stats? Because before electronic games were a thing, we needed numbers to roll against in our games to keep things fair and prevent people from declaring that their character just killed God and ascended to heaven and took his place, and therefore he gets to take home the rest of the group's pizza.
I role-played Half-Life by choosing to use the crowbar all the time. It's therefore an RPG.

Tikey
13-04-2012, 05:25 PM
oh god, please not again (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?807-My-definition-of-a-RPG-is).

Doesn'tmeananything
13-04-2012, 05:29 PM
I role-played Half-Life by choosing to use the crowbar all the time. It's therefore an RPG.
Exactly.

To say that a videogame, i.e. a set system of rules and goals, belongs to a genre based on an abstract concept is to not make any point whatsoever.

How exactly would you translate making choices for the protagonist if not by means of stats?

Wizardry
13-04-2012, 05:32 PM
Can we drop this please?

ado
13-04-2012, 05:53 PM
But we need to define what precisely constitutes an RPG, not only for our sakes but for the sake of humanity and the progress of our species.

CitizenDickbag
13-04-2012, 06:09 PM
First time trolled about the definition of RPGs by Wizardry; I feel like this is a newbie milestone.

Nalano
13-04-2012, 08:35 PM

Yes. And the trolling was inevitable, Senor Dickbag.

CitizenDickbag
13-04-2012, 10:54 PM
Yes. And the trolling was inevitable, Senor Dickbag.

May have perhaps invited it, but just this once! I swear.

For the record my name is an Archer reference, not like some sort of mission statement for a career of dumb trolling.

Aurelia
14-04-2012, 12:14 AM
Back on topic and all that: The Lords of Midnight and Doomdark's Revenge. I put several hours into those games. *Several*. I drew A1 size maps of the game worlds on special parchment and hung them on my walls. I devised tactics by which I could recruit the most Lords within the fewest number of days and smash the opposing armies in the most efficient manner (and in the game etc).

In LOM, holding out at Marakith and just East of Shimeril grinding down Doomdark's armies, then storming over the Mountains of Ithril and up through the Plains of Blood to kick him in the nadgers in Kor and Ushgarak was most pleasing. In DD subverting some of Shareth's top lieutenants and trying to recruit those sworn to follow before they killed my new converts was always fun. Happy. Days.

Oh, and Quakeworld, HL, DX, Medieval Total War, UT99 and probably some Amiga games I'm too tired to remember.

icupnimpn2
14-04-2012, 06:42 AM
I'm not one to play favorites much. I find at least a little to like about a lot of games, but don't play lots of many games. For some reason I find the first Worms coming to mind tonight. Used to play it all night at sleepovers with my friends, probably when I was 14 or so. In-between (or during) bouts of Magic the Gathering and making nonsense with the Spider-Man cartoon maker or whatever that was. Going from memory here.

The ninja rope was perfection. It had unlimited uses whereas I think the later games put a cap on it. We were all a bunch of spider-worms, spending 90% of our turns positioning and hopping about, slamming ourselves against the walls to try to accelerate and rotate up and about the landscape. Then lob a grenade, etc, in the scant time remaining. Utterly fantastic. The game is a classic and is stronger, purer, I feel, than its successors. Less cartoony and all the better for it.

While my heart has a soft spot for Scorched Earth, I have spontaneously decided that Worms is one of the best PC games ever.

NathanH
14-04-2012, 08:57 AM

Oh, certainly. Most of my favourite RPGs and Action-RPGs and Action-Probably-Not-RPGs and Action-Definitely-Not-RPGs use detailed dialogue trees. I just think it's worth avoiding the "RPGs are about roleplaying" line, when cRPGs and roleplaying have always been, and probably always will be, so far from one another. I think that's all that needs to be said.

On topic, if it wasn't for the last 5 minutes then Mass Effect 3 could have reached #1 spot in Action-RPG on my list. Or Action-Probably-Not-RPG, depending on your point of view.

Nalano
14-04-2012, 09:44 AM
RPGs and Action-RPGs and Action-Probably-Not-RPGs and Action-Definitely-Not-RPGs

Walking Sim. Choose-Your-Own-Adventure. Inventory Management Sim. Choices & Consequence. Dungeon Crawler. Guns & Conversation. Tactical Wargame. Looting Sim. Label label label.

NathanH
14-04-2012, 09:50 AM
You forgot Interactive Fiction. And Roguelike. Get a grip, man! :-P

Nalano
14-04-2012, 09:53 AM
You forgot Interactive Fiction. And Roguelike. Get a grip, man! :-P

Also Statpadders. Point being RPG's a wide, wide genre, and pretty much anything fits so long as it includes RP and G, and each of those are very inclusively defined.

NathanH
14-04-2012, 09:59 AM
I disagree, but I think you already know that.

Nalano
14-04-2012, 10:04 AM
I disagree, but I think you already know that.

Yes, and if we can leave it at that, I'm pretty sure everybody would be happier for it.

BillButNotBen
14-04-2012, 10:06 AM
Jedi Knight is one of the best games ever made. It was just the right balance of Old-style quake-like gameplay plus story & setting plus awesome weapon and level design. It didn't get all linearly limited by the story like recent FPS games, but you felt a great sense of place and setting, and (despite the story and acting being cheesy) i actually cared about the characters.

It was one of the first games down the RPG-ization route, back when that was unique and special in a non-RPG game.

It was also back when Star Wars was cool and I get a great feeling out of visiting those places and hearing the music... before all that magic and enjoyment was sucked out.

But the best thing for me was the level design - it was back when level design was a skill / art and it involved great environmental puzzles that you needed to solve to progress through the level. Other than a few indie games we sem to have lost that skill.... levels are either open with no purpose, realistic and boring, or linear controlled experiences.

Fruppy
14-04-2012, 10:44 AM
Neverwinter Nights, Final Fantasy 9 and Team Fortress 2.

gganate
14-04-2012, 02:17 PM
Jedi Knight is one of the best games ever made. It was just the right balance of Old-style quake-like gameplay plus story & setting plus awesome weapon and level design. It didn't get all linearly limited by the story like recent FPS games, but you felt a great sense of place and setting, and (despite the story and acting being cheesy) i actually cared about the characters.

It was one of the first games down the RPG-ization route, back when that was unique and special in a non-RPG game.

It was also back when Star Wars was cool and I get a great feeling out of visiting those places and hearing the music... before all that magic and enjoyment was sucked out.

But the best thing for me was the level design - it was back when level design was a skill / art and it involved great environmental puzzles that you needed to solve to progress through the level. Other than a few indie games we sem to have lost that skill.... levels are either open with no purpose, realistic and boring, or linear controlled experiences.

I agree, I don't know how many times I played Jedi Knight all the way through as a kid.

Spider Jerusalem
14-04-2012, 05:29 PM
rpg: grim fandango
tps: curse of monkey island
fps: shogo
mmo: asheron's call
tbs: alpha centauri/moo2
rts: i hate rts games
genre-bending awesomeness: space rangers 2
sim: x-com apocalypse

Splynter
14-04-2012, 07:43 PM
FPS: Battlefield 2 PR Mod
Runner up: Call of Duty 1

TBS: Alpha Centauri
Runner up: X-Com

Platforming: Super Mario World
Runner up: Donkey Kong Country 3

RTS: Homeworld
Runner up: Company of Heroes

RPG (loose definition): Chrono Trigger
Runner up: Morrowind

Sim: Sim City 4
Runner up: Dwarf Fortress

Action Adventure: Majora's Mask
Runner up: Banjo Tooie

TailSwallower
14-04-2012, 11:06 PM
Oooh, I forgot one.

Genre: Mechwarrior

Standout game: Mechwarrior 2.

I'm excited by Hawken and (to a lesser extent) MWO, but goddamn do I want a good single player campaign.