PDA

View Full Version : What are you playing at the moment?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85

Doodier
17-02-2012, 10:27 PM
Have you tried Tunngle? It's ghetto as hell with a hideous "for gamers by gamers" interface, but I've gotten it working with Rainbow Six Vegas 2 when neither Hamachi or Gameranger worked.
I have - now. Unfortunately I can't even see my friend there.. I'll try again tomorrow. Until then - I found my old copy of Zoo Tycoon so I mounted it and IT'S ACE! Oh, it brings back so many old memories so I'll stick with that for a while now :) (Stupid mountain lions - they are always unsatysfied!)

TailSwallower
17-02-2012, 11:25 PM
Let's see, I just finished "Zombie Shoot 1." It's pretty awful.

They must have done a lot of work between 1 and 2 then, 'cause I've been playing 2 (thanks Urthman!) and I haven't had any of the problems you've described. I've had some issues with getting stuck on walls, but only because I've been trying to look for secrets (but yeah, if you're going to put secret areas in your game, you really need to make sure they aren't going to get stuck whilst trying to find hidden gaps).
I've played an hour of it and it doesn't seem like I'm half-way through. Generally enjoying it all-round. My biggest (and I guess only real) complaint would be the long load times - considering how modest the requirements are I simply can't fathom why it takes so long to load.

So yeah, if you got 1 & 2 in a bundle, give 2 a shot too.

Memph
17-02-2012, 11:41 PM
I enjoyed both Zombie Shooters. Sure, it's simple as Miss Carolina, but fun in short bursts. Although, I actually played through most of the first in a single sitting as I couldn't put it down. 2 is still good, but if you don't like 1 you won't like the sequel even though it has more 'stuff'. Also compared to ZS1, it didn't seem to have the same satisfying feel of shredding the enemies into globules of goo with gunfire, more just hosing them down.

The Alien Shooters I also found quite entertaining tbh. 2 far more than 1 this time, as 1 is bloody hard (but the soundtrack is awsome).

Althea
17-02-2012, 11:50 PM
The Alien Shooters I also found quite entertaining tbh. 2 far more than 1 this time, as 1 is bloody hard (but the soundtrack is awsome).
I've got 2 from GOG, and the soundtrack is amazingly awesome. Reminds me of Frank Klepacki, almost.

Heliocentric
18-02-2012, 12:48 AM
Played a load more Mass Effect 3 multiplayer, but got hooked by a multiplayer demo like this since battlefield 2, I know its not going to have that kind of lasting power, but for what it is it does very well.

My engineer has the ugliest pink and camouflage marks in magenta I could manage, but now the issue is I want 2 copies of mass effect to play with my mass effect fan fiancée.

I guess we'll be playing the demo for multiplayer eh?

Yunno, if more people went engineer life would be an awful lot easier, those snipers are not so smug when me drone sends 200 volts into the back of their head. opening them up to an incinerate and a burst from an assault rifle.

I'd buy this by itself, but without bigger maps i'll be getting bored eventually.

Althea
18-02-2012, 01:33 AM
Of all the things you wouldn't expect me to be playing...

It's Terraria.

Serenegoose
18-02-2012, 01:35 AM

It's Terraria.

I was listening to Skeletons on Parade when I got my first blood moon event - now it's all I think of when someone mentions Terraria.

sabrage
18-02-2012, 01:53 AM
I started up Killzone: Liberation... It's a shame it's so much better than Shadowgrounds, because now I don't see myself going back to that. Squad command, cover system, better voice acting and diversified objectives.... On a handheld. Et tu, Shadowgrounds?

Sketch
18-02-2012, 04:12 AM
Just finished the original MGS. Cheesy but still incredibly entertaining, definitely one of my favourite games. Now moving to 2, not actually played it before.

Voon
18-02-2012, 04:20 AM
Just finished the original MGS. Cheesy but still incredibly entertaining.

Agreed. The original MGS was very cheesy and the AI there probably had half a brain of the AI from Deus Ex. But it was fun.

SirKicksalot
18-02-2012, 05:01 AM
Alan Wake. I love it! 6 hours in and this is one of the best games I played this year. It's funny, well-paced, the combat is interesting and has a great atmosphere. My favourite 3rd person game since the first Dead Space.

sabrage
18-02-2012, 05:48 AM
Just finished the original MGS. Cheesy but still incredibly entertaining, definitely one of my favourite games. Now moving to 2, not actually played it before.
I wouldn't call it any more cheesy than any other video game. And the fact that the game still feels fresh after 14 years speaks for itself. 2 is probably my least favorite game in the series, but it's still good in its own right.

Voon
18-02-2012, 05:53 AM
2 is probably my least favorite game in the series, but it's still good in its own right.

I remember everyone raved the game being "OH GOD SOOO AWESOME! JIZZED MAH PANTS!" when it was still fresh. Well, at least that's what G4tv told me about it in those days.

sabrage
18-02-2012, 05:54 AM
I remember everyone raved the game being "OH GOD SOOO AWESOME! JIZZED MAH PANTS!" when it was still fresh. Well, at least that's what G4tv told me about it in those days.
Well, I didn't play it until 2010 and I still did exactly that.

Memph
18-02-2012, 06:16 AM
I've got 2 from GOG, and the soundtrack is amazingly awesome. Reminds me of Frank Klepacki, almost.

I wiki'd his ass. Didn't know he composed Hell March. And was a teenager? Wow.

Memph
18-02-2012, 06:19 AM

PC version or PSX? If it runs in ePSXe, I'd almost quite fancy turfing out the attic for my discs.

Voon
18-02-2012, 06:20 AM
I wiki'd his ass. Didn't know he composed Hell March. And was a teenager? Wow.

Yep. He's that awesome

Memph
18-02-2012, 06:27 AM
Agreed. The original MGS was very cheesy and the AI there probably had half a brain of the AI from Deus Ex. But it was fun.

MGS had AI? /obnoxious snort

Really though, I recall all enemies acting in 2 ways. Set patrol, or kill Snake. Enemies had cone vision, and were meant to generally be dumb as a box of frogs, so much as to deliberately ignore that said box on his patrol route had now hopped off and he cares not. I did think it rather brilliant however, that if they actually saw the box where it wasn't before, they would come over for a sniff. The fact they then walked off back to their patrol route satisfied if you stayed still was just the game being a game, not bad AI.
MGS was mostly a highly evolved Frogger. Watch for a pattern, move across.

Anthile
18-02-2012, 06:48 AM
http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/7802/wot2012021807313598.png

Voon
18-02-2012, 06:54 AM
MGS had AI? /obnoxious snort

Really though, I recall all enemies acting in 2 ways. Set patrol, or kill Snake. Enemies had cone vision, and were meant to generally be dumb as a box of frogs, so much as to deliberately ignore that said box on his patrol route had now hopped off and he cares not. I did think it rather brilliant however, that if they actually saw the box where it wasn't before, they would come over for a sniff. The fact they then walked off back to their patrol route satisfied if you stayed still was just the game being a game, not bad AI.
MGS was mostly a highly evolved Frogger. Watch for a pattern, move across.

Okay, less than half a brain, in that case

TailSwallower
18-02-2012, 10:29 AM

It's Terraria.

It runs just a little too slow on my netbook which is frustrating... but still, it calls to me.

ado
18-02-2012, 01:15 PM
I'm playing the MGS HD Collection right now. Started with MGS 3, and intending to go through the whole series in order of the story. Should be fun, never played Snake Eater and Peace Walker before.

sabrage
18-02-2012, 01:27 PM
I'm playing the MGS HD Collection right now. Started with MGS 3, and intending to go through the whole series in order of the story. Should be fun, never played Snake Eater and Peace Walker before.
Metal Gear 1 and 2 are in the HD collection, so you should play through those. If you're feeling really thorough, you should play Portable Ops and Ghost Babel as well.

Oh, and since we've been talking about F-Zero GX a bit...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVd6ZgsdDaU

ado
18-02-2012, 01:40 PM
Metal Gear 1 and 2 are in the HD collection, so you should play through those. If you're feeling really thorough, you should play Portable Ops and Ghost Babel as well.

You're right, they do come with MGS3. Never really tried any of the old MG games, so I will try to squeeze them in between PW and MGS.

Forgot about those completely, so thanks for the reminder!

sabrage
18-02-2012, 01:50 PM
I might just do the same thing as you whenever I pick up the HD collection; I've been meaning to finish playing through 3 and I don't have a PS2 to play it on anymore. I could buy one for the same price as the collection, but I'd much rather play Peace Walker without the PSP's shoehorned control scheme.

ado
18-02-2012, 01:57 PM
From what I hear Peace Walker benefits a great deal from the 2nd analog stick. Anyways I recommend the HD collection wholeheartedly, the HD job they did on it seems to be really good (judging from MGS3 alone so far, and the game looks impressively sharp despite some low res textures).

sabrage
18-02-2012, 02:05 PM
Well, I already have the PS2 "Essential Collection" (and an original copy of MGS1) so that's the only thing that's kept me this long from snapping it up. Gotta say though, between MGS, Contra, Gradius and Castlvania, Konami can just wire directly into my bank account and seize funds as they see fit.

ado
18-02-2012, 02:49 PM
What's in the essential collection? Never heard of it before.

I still have my PSX copy of MGS as well. Those 2 discs have seen a lot of spin over the years, but still work just fine even on the PS3. I've got a PC copy of MGS with the VR missions too, however I can't get it to work on my Win7 machine.
But I sold off my copy of MGS2 together with my PS2, which happened before MGS3 came out so I never got to play that.

It's good to finally have the complete series (FINE! Minus Portable Ops and that Game Boy game :P) in my library now; it's quite great despite all the flak it gets and I know I'll be re-playing these games periodically.

sabrage
18-02-2012, 03:03 PM
What's in the essential collection? Never heard of it before.
1, 2 and 3 on PS2 (MGS1 got a reprint for it; to my knowledge this technically makes it the very last PS1 release.) So when I get the HD collection, I'll own 2 copies each of 1, 2 and 3.

I spent like 2 goddamn hours this morning trying to beat the level two boss in Super R-Type and I just can't do it. It doesn't even seem possible. Game also has ridiculous slowdown, which doesn't help.

SMiD
18-02-2012, 03:53 PM
I've gone back to an old, yet familiar drug: Sid Meier's SimGolf. Something about this game calls to me every 2 years or so. Does anyone know if there are any mods/add-ons/community-made-items floating around still for this?

Voon
18-02-2012, 04:15 PM
Oh, and since we've been talking about F-Zero GX a bit...
-video-

Holy shit.... That's Beastman over there, right?

Fumarole
18-02-2012, 07:01 PM
I've been playing Jagged Alliance 2​ 1.13 and getting utterly worked over in recruit mode. Woe is me.

Drake Sigar
18-02-2012, 07:58 PM
I've gone back to an old, yet familiar drug: Sid Meier's SimGolf. Something about this game calls to me every 2 years or so.
Man I love that game, finding a new copy was so hard!

Scumbag
18-02-2012, 10:06 PM
Still Tribes Ascend. You know when you've been playing something too much when you get up to get some water its not standing up then going downstairs, but the mind imagines "Jetpack up, ski down the slope."

alms
18-02-2012, 11:24 PM
Let's see, I just finished "Zombie Shoot 1."

Kudos! I only bore to play it for 13 minutes before giving up.

I'm actually kind of shocked that Valve accepted it at all to sell on steam--it's that bad.

I can't help and think of games like that when I hear that some worthy title wasn't allowed on Steam. Go figure...

Haven't got a lot of time to play in the last month but I've been slowly getting back to it. Defense Grid: The Awakening (thanks Vinraith!) was my title of choice. It's forviging enough and lets me mess around sort of casually, but as soon as I try to do something specific (getting a medal or an achievement) it suddenly acquires a lot of depth.

So far I only found two little (and minor) flaws, which is you can't skip the voiceovers and the only way to cope with failure is to backtrack, which sometimes is a bore because you can't really control how many waves back you'll go.

On the side, I started and finished a short AGS adventure from 2008, called The Vacuum, and then picked back up Katawa Shoujo (which I hadn't played for many weeks), currently trying to get through my second playthrough (Rin's turn).

Anthile
19-02-2012, 12:29 AM
If you're playing the advanced modes in Defense Grid, a lot of them require you to juggle, which is terrible because it turns it essentially into a twitch game.

Pertusaria
19-02-2012, 12:42 AM
Finished what there is of Driftmoon for the time being. For me it's worth the 12 euro as it stands, and I think there's a lot more to come, both content and polishing. In terms of play time, if anyone's wondering how much the demo shows, I think the demo took me just over an hour and a half (but I was playing on easy mode), while the full game to date took about six and a half hours on a mix of difficulties. The main plot is established in the demo, but a good bit more is developed later on.

High points for me: the NPCs are mostly well written; on several occasions you get to choose how you're going to approach an interaction, and your choice does have an effect on what the outcome is; sometimes there's an Intelligence check for a dialogue choice. The combat didn't get boring for me once I was playing mainly on Warlord difficulty (medium-hard). It's not a clickfest - once you're in combat the dice rolls take over, except for launching special attacks and chugging potions. There's a (for me) interesting and funny twist on the RPG trope of maguffins that have been scattered across the map which you have to collect for the main plot line. This doesn't come into the game until well after the demo ends, so give the plot a little bit of time if you do play it.

Low points? It would probably be better if there were a penalty for switching difficulty levels frequently, e.g. higher xp at the higher difficulty. If there's anything like this, I didn't notice it. Also, potions are craftable with not-very-uncommon ingredients once you have the instructions, which makes combat quite a bit less challenging partway through the game. The point about not being able to equip friendly NPCs stands, but so far you get new, stronger party members on a fairly regular basis, so there's kind of a balance.

Keep
19-02-2012, 02:47 AM
I'm old-schooling it with Theme Hospital at the mo. I'd love to see a low-key sequel made of that game. Just give it a few small additions, little tweaks, bit of sparkle. No flashy reinventing bullshit. I'd pay full price for that.

Oh, and NO earthquakes. Goddamn earthquakes.

Nalano
19-02-2012, 08:51 AM
Oh, and NO earthquakes. Goddamn earthquakes.

It wouldn't be so bad if there was a way to clean out a room where the equipment exploded.

Just did my first ladder match in BF3. Had to forfeit a round because one of our players used a flashlight on a weapon, but then stomped 'em the other two.

Althea
19-02-2012, 09:47 AM
Terraria - Damn, it's like 8bit crack.
Dredmor - Level 10 on my "warrior", and it's really gotten quite hard. I'm taking more damage than I'm comfortable with, the stream of gear has slowed down and it's just getting much more difficult. I think I chose a bad class.
Brawl Busters - Well, only played the tutorials and a few online matches, but it's pretty fun.

Heliocentric
19-02-2012, 10:33 AM
Holy hell on a kebab, I never knew about earth quakes, I thought the screen was shaking because a machine was exploding.

Earthquake are acceptable in tropico because you often want to build better things anyway (buy not enough to knock old one down), but in games where pretty generally you don't have changing needs you really react to by rebuilding earthquakes indiscriminate destruction is just obnoxious. Localised destruction of a fire or such is rectifiable more quickly and urban regeneration of your 'peasant farming area' into a 'farming community' as a result of a localised disaster is extremely satisfying.

Last night myself and Graever both played Portal 2: Cooperative for the first time. I saw a few wobbles in the level design but mostly when we were stuck it was because our wetware was lacking. Portal 2 was a great 'adventure' game, Portal 2 coop is an excellent 'puzzle game with adventuring'.

[SPOILERS FOR PORTAL 2 SINGLE PLAYER FOLLOW BUT YOUVE PLAYED IT... RIGHT? ] GladOS was back on form as vaguely sinister voice, I wish there had been a greater focus on Cave or Apatures past (especially in the, older areas) but the ending of the main course was satisfying and internally consistent both in content and narrative. Honestly its a crime how few people have played this, portal 2 is a husk of a game without it.

Herzog
19-02-2012, 10:34 AM
Deus Ex: Finished this one for the first time. Played it with shifter-mod (not vanilla as some people like to play the games as intended by the developer) and some other eye-candy mods like NewVision. All I can say is, that it really is a great game. The choices on how you can play each mission are really nice. Truth to be told, I am not the sneaking kind of person, so when I first found a doubled barreled shotgun I tended to greet my enemies with it. But from time to time I took a stealth approach just because you can do it! My favorite part in the game has to be the Hongkong section, the one I liked least were the missions in Paris (especially the Catacombs).

Red Orchestra 2: Crossed the 100 hour mark there yesterday evening. Still enjoying this a lot, but I cant wait for Rising Storm update. Tripwire also announced a new map, but I looks like a more open map, like RedOctoberfactory or Fallenfighters which make me normally quit the game. Favorite maps: Apartments, Barracks, Commisars House.

Amnesia - The Dark Descent: Continued to play this and fixed an elevator to descend to even more dark places. This time I wont stop playing for some months!

Ravelle
19-02-2012, 10:52 AM
Crusader Kings II

You're thrown in to the deep with these kind of games, so I didn't know what I had to to when I read all the tips they gave me.

Mashley
19-02-2012, 04:58 PM
I'm playing through Rainbow Six Vegas at the moment. Old game, but it's alright... nothing speciable, enjoyable for what a payed in the steam winter sale.

Sketch
19-02-2012, 05:16 PM
PC version or PSX? If it runs in ePSXe, I'd almost quite fancy turfing out the attic for my discs.

It was the PS1 version, I hear it's the better one.

I wouldn't call it any more cheesy than any other video game. And the fact that the game still feels fresh after 14 years speaks for itself. 2 is probably my least favorite game in the series, but it's still good in its own right.

I dunno...some of the dialogue at the end...

"I'm going to start living...for me...for someone like you" (not exact quote but along those lines).

That said, I wouldn't change it. Also apologies for the late response but I was viciously savaged by alcohol.

alms
19-02-2012, 06:02 PM
If you're playing the advanced modes in Defense Grid, a lot of them require you to juggle, which is terrible because it turns it essentially into a twitch game.

Not yet. I've got within a few missions of the end of the story, realized it was getting too hard for my casual "let's put this tower here and that there" playing style and went back to the easier missions to get better. I did tackle a few of the challenges for the achievements - and that was useful too, so I'm going to try and get some more. But before that I want to get as many gold medals as possible on the Story missions and get to the bottom of it.

BTW I've grown to love the OST of this game and found out it can be had for free on the author's website:

http://www.duanedecker.com/DG_Soundtrack.html

Squiz
19-02-2012, 07:14 PM
Played through "Rochard" in a few afternoons. Funny little time waster but nothing special. A few puzzles were good, but most of the time there is very little combining involved. Combat is pretty simple yet fun. Chucking grenades at people over half the length of a room doesn't get old. :) Story-wise the game is pretty daft.

Ham Solo
19-02-2012, 08:21 PM
Kingdoms of Amalur. I had to kill a whole village by mistake.
Doesn't matter, we have reserves...

Kodeen
19-02-2012, 09:26 PM
Beat Aquaria, what a great game. I got all of the achievements except for the King Jelly boss, but I don't know if I can do that one. Playing with the 360 pad is useless because of the auto-aim, which doesn't help when you have 50 enemies on the screen, and the M+KB controls don't feel right.

I also played a bit of Osmos. Very neat concept, but the difficulty sure does ramp up after the tutorial levels.

Edit: Nevermind. As I was typing that I thought about using the end-game Dual form, which is mostly useless but has a massive AoE attack. Took me less than a minute to beat him.

Nalano
19-02-2012, 09:56 PM
Kingdoms of Amalur. I had to kill a whole village by mistake.
Doesn't matter, we have reserves...

They're only NPCs. It's not like they have feelings...

Scumbag
19-02-2012, 11:29 PM
Beat Aquaria, what a great game. I got all of the achievements except for the King Jelly boss, but I don't know if I can do that one. Playing with the 360 pad is useless because of the auto-aim, which doesn't help when you have 50 enemies on the screen, and the M+KB controls don't feel right.

Volcanic rolls and veg soup, and lots of it. The suit you get from the boss is possibly the best in game imo.

coldvvvave
20-02-2012, 06:40 AM
Limbo

What I liked about it: atmosphere, sound, music, style. What I hated about it: everything else, mostly "gameplay"( I'd say it's far more an ungame than CoD and I don't even like CoD). Seriously, for a short platformer game it has some annoying puzzles. There is always one solution and it's rarely something smart, most of the times "harder" puzzles are based on something annoying like long backtracking and/or using objects you never used before so you are not sure what to do. Also, a giant spider. Well, nothing is flawless, I enjoyed it mostly, especially some random "action" bits( running away from spider, catching a flying insect) and levels with revolving cogs.

Ian
20-02-2012, 10:35 AM
Finished Mass Effect at the third time of trying. Yay!

Moved straight onto Mass Effect 2. Not having a gap in between makes the differences in mechanics/control scheme all the more unsettling, but I like what little I've played so far.

coldvvvave
20-02-2012, 11:11 AM
Moved straight onto Mass Effect 2. Not having a gap in between makes the differences in mechanics/control scheme all the more unsettling, but I like what little I've played so far.
I really hope you chose a Vanguard, it's pretty much the only fun character class to play.

Heliocentric
20-02-2012, 11:54 AM
I really hope you chose a Vanguard, it's pretty much the only fun character class to play.

Pfft, vanguard is fine on easy useless on anything else. Personally engineer+assault rifle training and rend/warp ammo later is my personal bag of tricks. The drone (even a bomb one) boosts your effectiveness as you can have warp bullets coming out of your gun(or rend) for barriers and health, overload for shields and incinerate for armour and, health while your drone interrupts,distracts and hurts your opponents(either by zapping on medium and easy or exploding on higher difficulties).

The Vanguard whoooosh ability is pretty, but it's not much use.

Casimir Effect
20-02-2012, 12:46 PM
The Vanguard whoooosh ability is pretty, but it's not much use.
You mean Charge? It needs to be combined with Barrier and a good shotgun to become effective (& a lot of fun). It's great for flying all around a map, as it moves you through obstacles, and then you alternate unloading a clip of shotgun into someone with punching them.

Ian
20-02-2012, 01:01 PM
I've gone with a vanguard purely because that's what I was in the original and I imported the save.

Not really tried charge much yet (having only done the first bit of fighting) so I'll be having a go with that when I get into the game properly tonight. It does sound appealing to charge into the middle of a bunch of people and then start shotgunning their heads off, though I imagine in trickier fights it'll need to be used more carefully, or at least with proper coordination of your squadmates' attacks/abilities so you don't get bogged down.

Nalano
20-02-2012, 01:14 PM
I still prefer Infiltrator. The SMG you get in Kasumi's DLC negates the need for assault rifles, and everything else is BOOMheadshot.

Kadayi
20-02-2012, 01:57 PM
On the final stretch of Limbo (beat on a friends 360 but wanted to clear on the PC as well). Initially started playing using M&K but have reverted to the controller now. It's a lot more responsive for the jumping I find. Also fired up Mass Effect to pick where my default look xenophobe Paragon male shep was. Had hours of fun getting the game to work because I needed to install the BDtS DLC which I apparently no longer had the code for (seemingly Bioware have removed the old Mass effect account registration records..GJ ppl) however managed to get it sorted eventually, then had late night fun landing on a planet to storm a mercenary base just trying to figure out how to exit the vehicle (F apparently), so, so rusty. Also still putting some time in Katawa Shoujo however (I'd like to do all the story lines) I'll be honest enough to say that Misha's story is pretty tedious Vs the others I've played so far. I'll be happy to be shot of it and move on to Lily or Hanakos sooner rather than later.

Heliocentric
20-02-2012, 02:00 PM
I still prefer Infiltrator. The SMG you get in Kasumi's DLC negates the need for assault rifles, and everything else is BOOMheadshot.

Pfft again. If I wanted to spend 60 hours clicking on heads I'd play CoDBlops, seriously sniping as a primary weapon in a game where stealth is not an option would get old fast. That SMG was good, in fact I upgraded to snipers rifle on my first (and only complete) playthrough and despised using it so the SMG was all I used.

Ian
20-02-2012, 02:02 PM

Now there's a point. What, if any, ME2 DLC is worth playing?

And at what point should I be thinking of playing any that are worth playing? (i.e. if they take place before the end of the main story or are meant to be after it or whatnot.)

Althea
20-02-2012, 02:09 PM

And at what point should I be thinking of playing any that are worth playing? (i.e. if they take place before the end of the main story or are meant to be after it or whatnot.)
All of them take place at an unspecified time, but to get the most benefit you should play all before the end. However, I'd say do Arrival after finishing the main game (it fits in better there, IMHO, as it bridges ME2 and 3), and the same - arguably - goes for Lair of the Shadow Broker.

I'd say they're all worth playing. The ones least worth playing (Hammerhead one in particular) are free with the Cerberus Network, so you've not really got any reason to not play then.

Kadayi
20-02-2012, 02:09 PM

Well Lair of the shadowbroker is the one everyone rates. The Kasumi one is kind of neat because it's a different sort of mission. I didn't mind Zaeeds one myself (plus you get those badass nades of his).

Nalano
20-02-2012, 02:14 PM
Well Lair of the shadowbroker is the one everyone rates. The Kasumi one is kind of neat because it's a different sort of mission. I didn't mind Zaeeds one myself (plus you get those badass nades of his).

Pretty much this. Lair of the Shadow Broker is fun. Kasumi and Zaeed (the latter of which you get for free anyway) are decent companions and her story/mission is an acceptable departure from the norm. Arrival is lackluster but it moves the story forward. Overlord is forgettable.

Althea
20-02-2012, 02:17 PM
Zaeed's a frakking badass. My party was almost always Garrus and Zaeed.

Nalano
20-02-2012, 02:25 PM
I like Zaeed, but Garrus + Zaeed is like having Garrus + Garrus. Very shooty - in that they're pretty much the only ones that use assault rifles - but no variety. Jack, on the other hand, sounds like she's shouting the enemy to death.

Althea
20-02-2012, 03:46 PM
I was very shooty. Soldier FemShep, Garrus, Zaeed. It was like a trifecta of badass.

Ian
20-02-2012, 04:00 PM
Obviously I'm only far enough into ME2 to have two bland-o-chums from the start of the game, but in the first I'd been trying to use a rotation of squadmates while keeping the skills balanced.

Well, I say that. What I really mean is I'd have Wrex on any lengthy missions plus one other. Wrex. <3

Sketch
20-02-2012, 04:02 PM
Definitely play Arrival, LoTSB is good too but I found the identity of the Shadow Broker a bit disappointing. Overlord is OK, but I think the ending is worth the price of admission anyway. It's very touching.

Voon
20-02-2012, 04:09 PM
Welp. Looks like I've strayed into an ME thread....

Kodeen
20-02-2012, 04:14 PM
Back on topic then, I played the first couple levels of Tyrian yesterday. The concept of pieces of story hiding in an enemy and possibly floating away if I'm not quick enough is an odd one, but it seems to be a very decent shmup. Can't argue with the price either.

Flint
20-02-2012, 08:17 PM
Amusingly fitting to the current topic of discussion here, coincidentally I too have been looking into ME2 DLC before ME3 hits the world. Got Shadow Broker and found out along the way that apparently I've had the Zaeed DLC all along. Shadow Broker was good, not necessarily the greatest of things but the info dump you get as a reward at the completion is pretty interesting and it paves way for ME3 nicely. Zaeed's one was ok; not really keen on the character however, although that might be due to the lack of interaction he has with Sheppy/the world outside his loyalty mission.

I suppose I'll have to get Arrival soon too then.

Memph
20-02-2012, 08:26 PM
You mean Charge? It needs to be combined with Barrier and a good shotgun to become effective (& a lot of fun). It's great for flying all around a map, as it moves you through obstacles, and then you alternate unloading a clip of shotgun into someone with punching them.

Playing Vanguard on Insanity is the absolute most fun I've had with ME2, out of playing it though around 7 times. I loved the mobility it gave and often I'd just fling myself behind the attackers and let my guys move in from the front.
In fact I loved it so much that it's one of the very few games I started up X-Fire for to take some very short gameplay vid clips, which I now will of course offer to inflict on you good people :) I do not by the way claim that I was playing this well, but it was bloody fun.

vanguard cross-up: http://www.xfire.com/video/2f7eab/
mordin commits suicide and I survive by the skin of my teeth: http://www.xfire.com/video/2f7ea7/
mordin cheers a charge: http://www.xfire.com/video/2f7e9d/

On topic. Still attempting to clear my mid-point and dropped list. Clocked Alice: Madness Returns. Whilst the 3D platformery taste is fresh I suppose Tomb Raider Legend is up next.

Casimir Effect
20-02-2012, 08:33 PM
It's the most fun biotic/ability in the game for me just because it usually goes very right or very wrong - you either charge into someone and take them down quickly then do some flanking or find out that they had about 5 angry, shotgun-wielding friends with them.

What's the assault rifle you're using, is it a DLC one?

Memph
20-02-2012, 08:53 PM
It's the most fun biotic/ability in the game for me just because it usually goes very right or very wrong

Ha, yes. Exactly!

What's the assault rifle you're using, is it a DLC one?

I honestly couldn't say, that was so long ago. I suspect that it is. Altogether I had whatever guff came with the Cerberus code thing, the Dragon Age armour, plus I picked up Zaeed, Kasumi and Overlord.

Casimir Effect
21-02-2012, 01:07 AM
Finished with Dragon Age 2 and had a great time with it. Have to do another playthrough sometime as a hypocritical asshole mage who always sides with the Templars and calls all mages dangerous.
It'll be refreshing after this mage friendly playthrough. Dear god it was hard at times to always choose the "Not all mages are bad" option when pretty much every single one in the entire game falls into blood magic.
"Templars are chasing me!" -> Blood magic
"I think Templars are chasing me!" -> Blood magic
"I think I broke a nail!" -> Blood magic
"Oh fuck it's Monday!" -> Blood magic

Oh well, time to turn-some-heads in Human Revolution HARHARHAR

Nalano
21-02-2012, 01:44 AM
Dear god it was hard at times to always choose the "Not all mages are bad" option when pretty much every single one in the entire game falls into blood magic.

I like Anders' reactions. Every time you come across a blood mage, he's all "DUDE YOU'RE NOT HELPING"

The JG Man
21-02-2012, 01:59 AM
You know, I actually enjoyed the plot post Act 1 of DA2...including the ending. They certainly hammered the whole 'Blood Mages are everywhere' thing, but it was hard to disagree with the Templars because, well, they were right. At least I thought so. Anders' actions as well near the end of the game were incredibly interesting. I thought the rise of tensions through the entire game towards this point was done pretty well, even if the pay-off was rather ham-fisted. That being said, Act 2 was my favourite; the interaction all around was done well, the sub-plots were fairly interesting, sometimes incredibly funny (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae6jhX-4G0w).

The game gets a lot of deserved flak, and whilst I'm disappointed I haven't gone back to replay it, it had some redeeming elements.

Nalano
21-02-2012, 02:06 AM
That being said, Act 2 was my favourite; the interaction all around was done well, the sub-plots were fairly interesting, sometimes incredibly funny (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae6jhX-4G0w).

Yeah, there were some good moments of Unreliable Narrator. My favorite was how he started the story by playing up Bethany's bust size.

The JG Man
21-02-2012, 02:16 AM
I liked that that was subtly done. In fact, I love the notion of an Unreliable Narrator because it starts to throw so many things into question. How many of these whiny, annoying characters are like that because Varric thought so, not just because they were actually like that? Of course Aveline would find love with someone because Varric loves stories and romance is an easy one to make people happy with. Even if he doesn't out-right lie and only embellishes the truth, it just makes things so much more interesting. The writing team nailed that element and it's a shame it didn't completely pair up with the actual story at times.

Like I said, lots of faults in that game - too many - but its best parts were still pretty damn good.

Juan Carlo
21-02-2012, 02:23 AM
Realm of the Mad God--Bloody hell is this addictive. I'm feeling that sort of compulsive "just one more game" feeling I haven't felt since "Binding of Isaac." I wasted 60 hours on "Isaac" we'll see how long this holds my attention.

Rauten
21-02-2012, 02:51 AM
Realm of the Mad God--Bloody hell is this addictive. I'm feeling that sort of compulsive "just one more game" feeling I haven't felt since "Binding of Isaac." I wasted 60 hours on "Isaac" we'll see how long this holds my attention.

This. Dear god, so much this. Such chaotic fun in a small package.

sabrage
21-02-2012, 02:56 AM
I got bored of RotMG when my friends did. I don't find it particularly fun to play on my own.

Odeon
21-02-2012, 05:11 AM
My job is computers. I'm staring at three of them right now.
Sorry, but that's not enough of an explanation. If your job is computers, then it's either making, fixing, upgrading, and/or maintaining them. It is not using them to play games created by other people. If your job is using computers to play games to write about them or some other reason, then your job is not computers.

I've been in IT for over a decade, having every type of IT responsibility you can think of and have never been able to play video games as part of my job. That's not to say that I've never played games while on the job, just that it wasn't what I was supposed to be doing. So Nalano, what's your REAL job? ;-)

Nalano
21-02-2012, 05:19 AM
Sorry, but that's not enough of an explanation. If your job is computers, then it's either making, fixing, upgrading, and/or maintaining them. It is not using them to play games created by other people. If your job is using computers to play games to write about them or some other reason, then your job is not computers.

I've been in IT for over a decade, having every type of IT responsibility you can think of and have never been able to play video games as part of my job. That's not to say that I've never played games while on the job, just that it wasn't what I was supposed to be doing. So Nalano, what's your REAL job? ;-)

Network admin as a job. Moonlight IT. It's midnight and I'm currently halfway through digitizing 70 cassettes of Iranian music while letting SimCity 4 run and suffering you.

So?

Odeon
21-02-2012, 05:31 AM
Gee, touchy much?

I'm just saying that computer jobs don't typically allow for a lot of gameplay hours but you've implied that that's why you play so many games. If you're saying you spend all your waking hours on a PC, that explains it much better than "My job is computers."

Nalano
21-02-2012, 05:37 AM
Gee, touchy much?

Tell me, if my response doesn't matter, why are you bothering to ask me what I do?

Oh, right, you're not. You're telling me what I do.

Odeon
21-02-2012, 05:41 AM
How did you get "my response doesn't matter" from my saying you're touchy about the subject? Those are two totally different thought processes to most people.

And no, I'm only telling you that you left out some important information about how you have the time to play as much as you do. My apologies if it didn't come across that way.

Nalano
21-02-2012, 06:21 AM
And no, I'm only telling you that you left out some important information about how you have the time to play as much as you do. My apologies if it didn't come across that way.

You're right. It's my mistake. I should have said, "because it's my hobby," and left it at that.

Ian
21-02-2012, 10:06 AM
A bit more ME2 played last night, and it's nice to see them sticking with the tradition of giving you boring squadchums to start with. Recruited Mordin though, and I can tell he's going to be ace. I used the "Paragon interrupt" things a couple of times to just tell him what was going on but in future I might just let him keep rambling.

It'll be refreshing after this mage friendly playthrough. Dear god it was hard at times to always choose the "Not all mages are bad" option when pretty much every single one in the entire game falls into blood magic.

What really got me was when the senior mage man did it near the end. It's like, "We'll be okay, you're an extremely powerful mage who could probably fend off dozens of soldiers just using ice and fire and stuff and OH CHRIST WHAT ARE YOU TURNING YOURSELF INTO YOU MANIAC?"

Anthile
21-02-2012, 10:18 AM
The renegade interrupts are infinitely more entertaining and mainly involve shooting and punching people.

Heliocentric
21-02-2012, 10:19 AM
The renegade interrupts are infinitely more entertaining and mainly involve shooting and punching people.

No love for headbutting people in the face?

TailSwallower
21-02-2012, 10:45 AM
No love for headbutting people in the face?

I'm pretty sure I winced when she did that. Headbutting a Krogan? It was like watching someone get hit in the junk.

desvergeh
21-02-2012, 01:16 PM

I tried to play through as paragon on my second run, but just couldn't resist some of the extremely amusing renegade interrupts and choices.

Way better than the ones in ME1. In ME1 the renegade choices often came across as you acting like a dick. The ones in ME2 are far more in-line with being a renegade bad-ass.

NathanH
21-02-2012, 01:39 PM
I don't know how people do 0% renegade runs. Some of the interrupts are just far too tempting.

Giaddon
21-02-2012, 04:21 PM
Conquest of Elysium 3, the new game from Illwinter, the Dominions 3 guys. It's fantastic. Available only on Desura (http://www.desura.com/games/conquest-of-elysium-3) right now (for $30), I'm surprised it hasn't been getting more RPS buzz. It's an extremely fast-paced, extremely random, combat-heavy turn based game built for solo, hotseat, or online multiplayer (no PBEM--turns are over FAST, even late game). I've heard it described as a "strategy roguelike," which is pretty apt, except there's less complexity in this game than a typical roguelike.

You choose from one of 17 "classes" to start, which is a commander unit than can recruit certain units, using certain resources, and has certain special abilities and limitations. For example, I recently played a game as the "high cultists," which summon powerful monsters from cities on the coast, (it's very Lovecraft) and which automatically produce hybrid villagers (fishpeople) you can use in your army. You're plunked down in a randomly generated hostile world. The goal is to capture resource sites, use those resources to build more armies to capture more resource sites, and then eliminate the other players by destroying all their commanders or citadels (you can also set teams beforehand, but there is no in-game diplomacy).

Anyway, I've been having a blast with this game since it came out a few days ago.

NathanH
21-02-2012, 05:07 PM
Ooh I didn't know that was out, I'll have to get it.

Giaddon
21-02-2012, 05:58 PM
I hope you enjoy it! I do want to super-emphasize, for those fans of Dominions 3, that this is not really very much like it. It is the very stupid cousin to Dom 3's Rhodes Scholar.

NathanH
21-02-2012, 06:10 PM
I played CoE2 a lot and thought it was a good idea that needed development, so I'm glad it's got it. Anyone who might be interested can find CoE2 available for free and check it out to get an idea of what sort of game this is (obviously 3 is a lot better developed than 2).

Drinking with Skeletons
21-02-2012, 06:17 PM
I'm playing Kingdoms of Amalur. I (sadly) can't say it does for the RPG what Rise of Nations did for the RTS--maybe if Big Huge Games had used their Rise of Legends setting, which would've been almost infinitely more interesting a world--but man if it doesn't just succeed at being fun, fun, fun.

PeteC
21-02-2012, 06:33 PM
After 284 hours I'm finally done with Skyrim for now. Done the main quest, reunited Skyrim by offing Ulfric, head of the Thieves Guild and done bits and pieces of all the other questlines.

I'll probably move onto Arkham City at some point over the next couple of days (15gb download!) but until then I'll polish off the defense grid DLC.

Nalano
21-02-2012, 07:21 PM
I don't know how people do 0% renegade runs. Some of the interrupts are just far too tempting.

Especially since Paragon and Renegade aren't mutually exclusive.

Flint
21-02-2012, 07:39 PM
Bought and completed Arrival now as well. Enjoyable, not sure about letting Sheppypoos go solo for the whole mission, but nicely pumped me up for the sequel.

Next, the ME3 demo. It's funny; I adore the ME series with all my heart and in fact would perhaps even call ME2 one of my all-time favourites, but I've been completely ambivalent about ME3 until now that it's right on the doorstep. Really can't wait to experience the end of the trilogy. And then probably do a play through all three games again with a new character.

coldvvvave
21-02-2012, 07:54 PM
http://i.imgur.com/cpMvL.jpg (http://imgur.com/cpMvL)

Haters gonna hate.

Anthile
21-02-2012, 08:23 PM
Bought and completed Arrival now as well. Enjoyable, not sure about letting Sheppypoos go solo for the whole mission, but nicely pumped me up for the sequel.

I guess they did that because it's supposed to be played after the suicide mission and one of the possible outcomes there is Shepard being the only survivor.

Flint
21-02-2012, 08:31 PM
Yeah, I can understand that reasoning. Just meant for a bit of awkwardness on the gameplay side of things: when for the rest of the game you use your whole strike team's skills in unison for perfect combat flow, the time when you're stripped out of 2/3 of your skills/firepower means you have to readjust your whole way of thinking. It wasn't bad at all, quite enjoyed the surprise challenge it gave to be honest, but I did miss my buddies nonetheless.

gganate
21-02-2012, 09:08 PM
Half-life 2 Episode 1 and episode 2 afterwards. This fervor around Half-life 3 has gotten me in the mood for some...Half-life.

Kodeen
21-02-2012, 09:40 PM
Half-life 2 Episode 1 and episode 2 afterwards. This fervor around Half-life 3 has gotten me in the mood for some...Half-life.

Episode 1 is my least favorite in the entire HL series. Friggin zombie parking garage. A bombed out city is no excuse for faulty lighting, I tell you what!

NecroKnight
21-02-2012, 10:08 PM
I'm playing Alan Wake. The game seems good so far.

gganate
21-02-2012, 10:47 PM
The hospital battle is the best in the series, in my opinion. Considered as a piece of half-life 2, episode 1 is pretty good. Stand alone, it is too short, certainly.

Drake Sigar
21-02-2012, 11:46 PM
I'm on Fable 1, the best of the Fable series.

airtekh
22-02-2012, 12:38 AM
I'm still playing Assassin's Creed Revelations in both SP and MP.

The singleplayer is surprising me. I had read lots of negative reviews about it before I bought the game, but I'm still enjoying it immensely. I think people were critical that there aren't enough innovations in the SP after the last two games, and I suppose that's true. I just love the free-roaming parkour that Assassin's Creed does so well. Some of the new stuff seems a bit gimmicky or unnecessary, like the bombs, but the setting of Constantinople is very refreshing after being in Italy for the past two games.

The multiplayer really is excellent though. It was good in Brotherhood and it's even better here. It does suck that you have to level up and earn decent unlocks in order to compete with other players, but that seems to be the status quo. At least the game offers a mode which puts everyone on level pegging, so you can just play that until you get some decent gear.

Once you've got some abilities and perks, it's a blast. I get as much a thrill from hearing the whispers and successfully identifying my pursuer as I do from stalking my targets.

vinraith
22-02-2012, 12:49 AM
I'm still playing Assassin's Creed Revelations in both SP and MP.

The singleplayer is surprising me. I had read lots of negative reviews about it before I bought the game, but I'm still enjoying it immensely. I think people were critical that there aren't enough innovations in the SP after the last two games, and I suppose that's true. I just love the free-roaming parkour that Assassin's Creed does so well. Some of the new stuff seems a bit gimmicky or unnecessary, like the bombs, but the setting of Constantinople is very refreshing after being in Italy for the past two games.

I ultimately stopped playing because of the piss poor tower defense minigame that keeps interrupting my fun. Other than that I thought it was right in line with the rest of the series, with a nice new setting.

The JG Man
22-02-2012, 01:10 AM
I just tried the Vanguard in the ME3 demo multiplayer.

Looks like Krogan Soldier will have some competition in "Most Ludicriously Brilliant Shit You Can Have In A Multiplayer Game." Just wow. Charge > Shotgun to face > Charge > Shotgun to face > ...

Voon
22-02-2012, 02:32 AM
I'm on Fable 1, the best of the Fable series.

Somehow, I can't get into Fable 1. Heck, I even bought The Lost Chapters and still couldn't. That's what I get for playing Fable II, maybe...

Flint
22-02-2012, 09:37 AM
Man, ME3 multiplayer is fun. Except for the connection system which occasionally leads me to never actually finding a game for ages. But when it does work, it's great. I was a bit meh about the idea of MP ME but I'm converted now.

Anthile
22-02-2012, 09:57 AM
So, besides playing lots of Tribes which massively hinders my backlog extermination process, I managed to finally finish Sequence and Rock of Ages and also the somewhat obscure first person spellcaster Wheel of Time. I wandered over to Crysis which already goes on my nerves.
Nomad, do this!
Nomad, do that!
Nomad, I'm hungry, make me a sandwich!
Nomad, have you still not won this war single-handedly? Hurry up.

Sketch
22-02-2012, 10:25 AM
I guess they did that because it's supposed to be played after the suicide mission and one of the possible outcomes there is Shepard being the only survivor.

I'm fairly sure, for Shepard to live, two of your crew mates have to as well. But yeah, and it probably wasn't
worth recording dialogue for all of the characters either.

Ravelle
22-02-2012, 11:21 AM
I wanted to be hard son of a gun to those who deserved it and be cool to be people who I liked but turns out you end up with both alignments the same because you get a lot more paragon points than Renegade points, even when choosing Renegade choices.

airtekh
22-02-2012, 11:33 AM
I ultimately stopped playing because of the piss poor tower defense minigame that keeps interrupting my fun. Other than that I thought it was right in line with the rest of the series, with a nice new setting.

I've only ever played that once, and that was during the tutorial missions. If you keep your notoriety meter down by bribing heralds then you never have to play it again.

Thank fuck it's not compulsory or I'd go nuts. I hate tower defense games.

Zephro
22-02-2012, 12:14 PM
Crusader Kings 2, it has taken over my life.

The JG Man
22-02-2012, 12:20 PM
I'm fairly sure, for Shepard to live, two of your crew mates have to as well.

[ME2 spoilers]It's possible to have everyone hold the line die, everyone after the boss to die, but for your escort to survive. You need to make sure that that person is Zaeed who hasn't done his loyalty quest, which shouldn't be necessary anyhow as he has a high survival value anyhow. You can then do the loyalty mission and kill him, leaving it with just you.[/spoilers]

Either that, or you may need one other person left. Regardless, if you follow the second half of that spoiler, it's possible to start Arrival with only Shepard and one other character alive!

vinraith
22-02-2012, 02:49 PM
I've only ever played that once, and that was during the tutorial missions. If you keep your notoriety meter down by bribing heralds then you never have to play it again.

Thank fuck it's not compulsory or I'd go nuts. I hate tower defense games.

Hmm. Let me know if that continues to work. I've gotten into a loop at this point where it's essentially impossible to keep my notoriety below the threshold and still progress through the missions, so I keep having to play it. If it's possible to avoid that I'd very much like to know, it certainly read to me like several reviewers had the same problem I was having.

To topic: I've been listening to the outstanding The History of Rome (http://thehistoryofrome.typepad.com/) podcast lately, and subsequently have been trying to get some era-appropriate gaming going. I've been dabbling with both Rome Total Realism 7 and Europa Universalis: Rome. Which I'll end up really digging into remains to be seen.

Nalano
22-02-2012, 03:33 PM

Haters gonna hate.

Interesting campaign. Obvious references to Blade Runner, Ghost in the Shell and Syndicate Wars, great first half. Kinda loses focus in second act, but enough unique combat options to feel "new." Pacing still feels weird, tho, and I keep thinking of ways they could have explored things they only just touched upon - like they have 18 hours of ideas in 6 hours of campaign.

Things I learned:
Persuading is fun
You can chalk a lot up to collateral damage
Guided Missiles + Hacking = Extreme Hot Potato
Flamethrowers > Therm-Optic Camouflage

Giaddon
22-02-2012, 03:54 PM
Disappointing to hear about the brevity of the Syndicate campaign. It really did seem like a go at Human Revolutions, but that game look me around twenty hours to complete and filled out that time well, for the most part.

Zephro
22-02-2012, 04:00 PM
Interesting campaign. Obvious references to Blade Runner, Ghost in the Shell and Syndicate Wars, great first half. Kinda loses focus in second act, but enough unique combat options to feel "new." Pacing still feels weird, tho, and I keep thinking of ways they could have explored things they only just touched upon - like they have 18 hours of ideas in 6 hours of campaign.
Would you say it's worth picking up just for a bit of fun Cyberpunk aesthetic at some point? I never pat full price for shooters though, so down the line.

Althea
22-02-2012, 04:01 PM
Already burning out on Terraria, and I only just got whiff of lava.

It's not that it's bad, it's just a time-waster and it doesn't really seem too focused. I've been reading up about some of the bosses, weapons, materials, etc., and to be brutally honest I just can't be bothered with it all. It's a shame you can't turn certain features off and just dick around.

FuriKuri!
22-02-2012, 04:16 PM
Finally getting into Fallout New Vegas after my SSD died and being sorta unwilling to fight through a lot of the drudgery of Jagged Alliance: BIA to get back to the stage I was at in my original playthrough. Even if I did benefit from a much easier start the second time round due to 'knowing how to play the game' (if you get me).

I've got Project Nevada installed and WMX. It's not usually my MO to mod a game when experiencing it for the first time, I usually like to experience things as the developer left them. But I suppose my time with JA:BIA really made me a lot more open minded to this, seeing as how a few (even minor) tweaks here and there would've made for a far superior play experience. Recalling Fallout 3, it seemed like a sensible choice.

Out of interest can anyone comment as to how far this combination of mods 'deviates' from the formula? I'm basically looking for a better experience but not to the extent that really changes the experience. Is there anything else I should get?

Heliocentric
22-02-2012, 04:21 PM
I keep thinking of ways they could have explored things they only just touched upon - like they have 18 hours of ideas in 6 hours of campaign.
better than an 18 hour game with 6 hours worth of ideas, oh hi halflife 2 when did you get here?

PeteC
22-02-2012, 04:53 PM
Decided to Give Fable: The lost Chapters a go and well, it's showing its age a bit. Especially coming straight from Skyrim.

One question though. How do you save the game? Can't figure it out for the life of me.

Drake Sigar
22-02-2012, 05:23 PM
Press Esc when in the guild hall, click Options, and Save Game. Also if you complete the game, don't skip the credits because then the game stops. Watching the whole thing allows you to continue.

Dick move, Lionhead. :)

TailSwallower
22-02-2012, 05:51 PM
Already burning out on Terraria, and I only just got whiff of lava.

It's not that it's bad, it's just a time-waster and it doesn't really seem too focused. I've been reading up about some of the bosses, weapons, materials, etc., and to be brutally honest I just can't be bothered with it all. It's a shame you can't turn certain features off and just dick around.

As much as I'm still expecting to get stuck back into it soon, I definitely had more fun with the game when I didn't know anything and was just sort of figuring it out as I went along. As soon as you've got an understanding of how you're meant to play it then I think some of the fun disappears.

Doodier
22-02-2012, 06:26 PM
Realm of the Mad God - oh my MAD GOD who even started talking about this game? It's so addictive I seriously can't stop playing it! I almost missed my afternoon class because of it. I can think only about one mistake - microtransactions. Does anyone know if there's another way to obtain gold if I don't want to purchase it for real money? I could really use another character slot you know?

Rauten
22-02-2012, 06:32 PM
I checked a bit, and no, gold is their lifeline. Aside from extra character and bank slots however, it only serves to buy cosmetic stuff, so it doesn't block you from content. So it's the "good" kind of F2P.

Doodier
22-02-2012, 06:39 PM
I know but it'd be really nice to fetch better equip on another character and then plunder the realm with your main one :)

Nalano
22-02-2012, 06:58 PM
Would you say it's worth picking up just for a bit of fun Cyberpunk aesthetic at some point? I never pat full price for shooters though, so down the line.

Oh yeah. And the multiplayer is promising. But don't do what I did and pay sixty bucks for six hours. I mean, I love me some cyberpunk, but that's the cost of three blockbuster movies in a row.

TailSwallower
22-02-2012, 07:14 PM
Does anyone know if there's another way to obtain gold if I don't want to purchase it for real money?

Well, you earn it just by playing, so you don't have to buy it as long as you can be patient. I think I've got a few hundred already and I've probably only played 3 hours or so.

Tried to play some more just before, but the lag was extremely annoying - just affected the controls, meaning I was moving around a couple of seconds after I pressed the keys, getting stuck on scenery for ages while enemies were getting free shots on me... I guess a lot more people are on board with it now that it's on Steam.

Squiz
22-02-2012, 07:17 PM
Could / should / would be playing Blood Bowl, but it seems I am unable to come up with witty names for my team members. Failed at character creation.

vinraith
22-02-2012, 07:29 PM
Could / should / would be playing Blood Bowl, but it seems I am unable to come up with witty names for my team members. Failed at character creation.

Random fantasy name generators are your friend.

http://dicelog.com/yafnag

Squiz
22-02-2012, 07:49 PM
Random fantasy name generators are your friend.

http://dicelog.com/yafnagClicky. "Douch", "Wicky", "Salli". Hm. Not witty enough, but thanks. :)

vinraith
22-02-2012, 07:53 PM
Clicky. "Douch", "Wicky", "Salli". Hm. Not witty enough, but thanks. :)

I think you might be holding yourself to too high a standard. :) Coming up with one funny name, sure, but coming up with a dozen is pretty freaking hard.

Kadayi
22-02-2012, 07:59 PM
Episode 1 is my least favorite in the entire HL series. Friggin zombie parking garage. A bombed out city is no excuse for faulty lighting, I tell you what!

The arena level was a bitch for sure. IIRC very shortly after release they dropped the difficulty because so many people quit playing when they hit that part.

Squiz
22-02-2012, 08:07 PM
@Vinraith: Oh, yes it is! Maybe I should go with less creative names. Right now, I think my best one is "Trollstoi" for my troll...

Doodier
22-02-2012, 08:13 PM
Well, you earn it just by playing, so you don't have to buy it as long as you can be patient. I think I've got a few hundred already and I've probably only played 3 hours or so.

Tried to play some more just before, but the lag was extremely annoying - just affected the controls, meaning I was moving around a couple of seconds after I pressed the keys, getting stuck on scenery for ages while enemies were getting free shots on me... I guess a lot more people are on board with it now that it's on Steam.
Are you sure? I mean - I've played it for 7 hrs and I still have just 100 gold pieces. You earn fame while playing, but I don't think you earn gold as well.

Heliocentric
22-02-2012, 08:20 PM

You need a theme, a basis for your naming convention.

Squiz
22-02-2012, 08:24 PM
You need a theme, a basis for your naming convention.Yeah, that would be best. However, I would like to refrain from using cheesy themes like football teams or TV shows. Changing existing names might be ok I guess. For instance, one of the "Three Die Block" guys has a Slann player named "Hugh Hopner".

NathanH
22-02-2012, 08:36 PM
Make an RPS forum team.

Squiz
22-02-2012, 08:38 PM
Make an RPS forum team.Obvious solutions are sometimes the best solutions.

Heliocentric
22-02-2012, 08:54 PM
My team Taxederm are undead bankers, the cannibalistic ghouls being my lawyers and the mummies members of the board. Wights are both middle management.

Squiz
22-02-2012, 09:09 PM
My team Taxederm are undead bankers, the cannibalistic ghouls being my lawyers and the mummies members of the board. Wights are both middle management.Nice idea. Thanks for the input y'all, I think I'll put something together from RPS forum names and collect random names for future teams as I go along.

vinraith
22-02-2012, 09:25 PM
Obvious solutions are sometimes the best solutions.

My handle was actually the name of one of my old (board and miniatures) Blood Bowl players, actually.

Casimir Effect
23-02-2012, 12:40 AM
Ah the old question of what to call characters, be they on a team or in a party. Usually I grab the nearest fantasy book and pick from there (Joe Abercrombie is especially good). But The Wire is also pretty decent. I once played through Icewind Dale with a party from the Barksdale gang, with Avon as the leader of course.

First real mission of DE:HR was pretty fun. I'm enjoying the gameplay so far but really dreading the boss fights I've heard so much about, especially as I'm trying to do a sneaky character.

Heliocentric
23-02-2012, 01:49 AM
Just completed Arrival for Mass Effect 2, all of my ambient sound broke half way through but I'm not sure if that's the DLC's fault or not.
Such an important choice and they literally didn't let you decide.

A tip for the DXHR boss fights which suits sneakers is carry an a big gun just incase, not had a boss battle yet, but if you literally are banned from less than lethal and stealth you might as well cap them in the face.

Nalano
23-02-2012, 01:54 AM
Such an important choice and they literally didn't let you decide.

Sometimes there is no choice.

Heliocentric
23-02-2012, 01:56 AM
Sometimes there is no choice.
The great sacrifice seems pretty ineffective judging from ME3

Nalano
23-02-2012, 02:00 AM
The great sacrifice seems pretty ineffective judging from ME3

You haven't gotten to the Citadel yet, nor met any Batarians. Not everything has to happen in the first ten minutes!

That said, you were clearly discharged and put on the backburner.

sabrage
23-02-2012, 05:17 AM
I just tried out the new SSX demo... The loading times suck and there's an unskippable 2 minute trailer, EULA and EA log-in before you can even play, but it seems kinda fun. It convinced me that I should pick up Tricky and play that, anyways.

SirKicksalot
23-02-2012, 05:24 AM

Haters gonna hate.

More impressions?

I'm playing RUSE. Restarted the campaign. I am slightly ashamed of myself for not buying Wargame, but I decided to go for Alan Wake and tomorrow's Amazon deal for The Darkness 2 instead.
Speaking of which, I should go finish The Darkness...

TailSwallower
23-02-2012, 10:17 AM
Are you sure? I mean - I've played it for 7 hrs and I still have just 100 gold pieces. You earn fame while playing, but I don't think you earn gold as well.

Yeah, ignore me. Had a touch of the stupids/misremembers there.

Ravelle
23-02-2012, 12:51 PM
Realm of the mad god, Got to level 17 with the first born wizard, then got killed by an Ogre Wizard.

One Pigeon
23-02-2012, 01:06 PM
Space Marine. It's quite fun although I can see it getting a little samey until they throw more enemy types my way.

But to be fair I haven't played that much, only just destroying the battering ram. That flying orc craft was annoying

Althea
23-02-2012, 01:13 PM
Space Marine. It's quite fun although I can see it getting a little samey until they throw more enemy types my way.

But to be fair I haven't played that much, only just destroying the battering ram. That flying orc craft was annoying
It's pretty samey even with more enemy times.

Voon
23-02-2012, 01:21 PM
More shit on the DS. Dragon Quest IV with short bursts of Earthbound (using an emulator). I'm now Torneko Taloon and fighting every monster I see just for their precious loot.

Scott Kevill
24-02-2012, 04:57 AM
It's ghetto as hell with a hideous "for gamers by gamers" interface

Don't all PC gamers want their desktop blinged up? :)

GameRanger could look a lot better than it does, but the primary focus so far has been on being fast and functional. Theming/skinning can always be added later.

Heliocentric
24-02-2012, 09:25 AM
Just 100%ed my Mass Effect 2 save, spent 2 hours and the only dialogue I heard was Kelly telling me I had new messages and combat taunts.

Completed every quest and pretty much broke into every building in detroit Deus Ex Human Revolution lots of lovely written messages but so many conversations ate obsessed with augmentation that it's dragging me right out of the game. Yes I get it, robot arms are a hot topic excuse me while I go talk to the homeless man who wants money for booze, at least that conversation is plausible to be one someone might have with a stranger.
PS. It's very good

Fumarole
24-02-2012, 02:10 PM
Jagged Alliance: Back in Action ​has for the most part pulled me away from my Nappy AAR, at least for now. Forget the naysayers, this game is full of shooty goodness.

Drake Sigar
24-02-2012, 03:48 PM
The New Vegas Ultimate edition arrived today but I'm holding out for Crusader Kings 2 after that awesome Wot I Think. Ordered yesterday and hoping it turns up tomorrow. *Crosses fingers* Haven't been this excited in ages.

sabrage
24-02-2012, 06:13 PM
Dota 2 is so goddamn frustrating. I remember why I stopped playing these games now.

Ravelle
24-02-2012, 07:47 PM
I keep trying Crusader Kings II but I have no idea what I'm suppose to be doing, I also keep getting those alerts that tell me things I have no understand of what it means. I really want to like this game but it's hard like this. :(

outoffeelinsobad
25-02-2012, 12:57 AM
I just got a code for the Risen 2 beta, so I'm gonna be playing that for a little while.

Juan Carlo
25-02-2012, 04:12 AM
Dota 2 is so goddamn frustrating. I remember why I stopped playing these games now.

I got the beta a month ago. I've played 2 games. Won one, lost one. I don't know. Nothing about it grabs me, really. It's fun enough when you are winning, but knowing that games usually take an hour and that you pretty much have to keep playing for that entire time, even if it's clear you will lose, kind of kills my enthusiasm. As does having to learn all the items, heros, etc, etc (I've searched and read faqs, but I still have no idea how to craft, for example. Where do you buy recipes?).

I'll be interested to see how Valve tries to sell this to the public beyond just hard core MOBA players. I mean, it's a game with no story, only the barest pretense of a theme, one map, scores of heroes with tons of powers you have to learn before you can get good at the game, an incredibly hostile community, set ways of playing the game that aren't readily apparent just from playing it.....I could probably go on. If you look at it objectively (i.e. as someone who has never played a MOBA before) it's a pretty tough sell.

SirKicksalot
25-02-2012, 05:13 AM
The Darkness II. It's an amazing shooter, best since Bulletstorm for me. It's been a long time since a story grabbed my attention so much. I don't agree with the RPS review complaining about a lack of balance and cheap enemies - the game gets a lot more interesting because it keeps mixing enemies and combat scenarios. Just like in Bulletstorm, I'm thinking really hard during the combat. It's very intense and satisfying.

sabrage
25-02-2012, 05:26 AM
I got the beta a month ago. I've played 2 games. Won one, lost one. I don't know. Nothing about it grabs me, really. It's fun enough when you are winning, but knowing that games usually take an hour and that you pretty much have to keep playing for that entire time, even if it's clear you will lose, kind of kills my enthusiasm. As does having to learn all the items, heros, etc, etc (I've searched and read faqs, but I still have no idea how to craft, for example. Where do you buy recipes?).
This is half of my annoyance with the game. I'm at the point where I (kinda) know what the items do, but I don't know the enemy heroes (WTF INVOKER) do enough to actually counter them. How do I know what's magic damage? How do I know if an ultimate will go through Black King Bar? Am I really supposed to be using this much gold on scrolls, or should I be using them more sparingly? Should I buy a courier if my support doesn't?

What I liked about LoL (and the reason it's such a massive success) is it makes all of this stuff exceedingly simple to understand. Having all of this confusion on top of the faster, more dangerous style of DotA 2 where one fuckup can kill your whole team (seriously, Lich/Earthshaker/Invoker/Warlock...) and the exact same assholes that always play this game really drain the game of any fun.

Voon
25-02-2012, 05:45 AM

I'll be interested to see how Valve tries to sell this to the public beyond just hard core MOBA players. I mean, it's a game with no story, only the barest pretense of a theme, one map, scores of heroes with tons of powers you have to learn before you can get good at the game, an incredibly hostile community, set ways of playing the game that aren't readily apparent just from playing it.....I could probably go on. If you look at it objectively (i.e. as someone who has never played a MOBA before) it's a pretty tough sell.

I just played the mod in WC3 but that's basically what I thought about DOtA

MrN
25-02-2012, 10:06 AM
Been playing 1000 Amps and Orbitron Revolution. The former is turning out to be a pretty snazzy exploration platormer thingie. The latter has been frustrating me. There's some reasonably entertaining shoot 'em up elements, but the controls are gimped to all hell on the PC. I can't map the controls, and it doesn't support any sort of controller from what I can tell, which doesn't make sense since it was originally an XBLIG game, so it was initially designed with a 360 controller in mind. Now my hand is a gnarled claw from the control scheme that's been locked into the game for the PC version. Color me disappointed.

redspielened
26-02-2012, 01:13 AM
This is half of my annoyance with the game. I'm at the point where I (kinda) know what the items do, but I don't know the enemy heroes (WTF INVOKER) do enough to actually counter them. How do I know what's magic damage? How do I know if an ultimate will go through Black King Bar? Am I really supposed to be using this much gold on scrolls, or should I be using them more sparingly? Should I buy a courier if my support doesn't?

What I liked about LoL (and the reason it's such a massive success) is it makes all of this stuff exceedingly simple to understand. Having all of this confusion on top of the faster, more dangerous style of DotA 2 where one fuckup can kill your whole team (seriously, Lich/Earthshaker/Invoker/Warlock...) and the exact same assholes that always play this game really drain the game of any fun.

That to me seems the fun of it, the fact that you don't know everything, you always have something to discover and doing it MATTERS, knowing the enemy is MUCH more important than in LoL and as a reward for having this knowledge, even vs. a bad match-up, you might win because of it. Yes, it takes a lot of time to get to know it all, but for me it was worth it. If you go in expecting to know everything immediately though, you will be disappointed. And in a way it's better that you still have a lot to learn knowledge-wise, because once it gets down just to the mechanical skill/execution and eventually team synergy, it is not as rewarding to gain that particular skill, etc.

If you take it 1 game at a time, the game is very easy to get into. Just think of what you'll play beforehand and read up on it a bit or think about it, don't worry too much about what teammates will pick/say, in pubs it's just practice. Plus, some people will rage because they exist, so don't stress too much about internet text.

Jabberwocky
26-02-2012, 08:21 PM
Lots of Battlefield Bad Company 2 multiplayer, which I picked up during the Amazon holiday sale for $6.50. I have gotten way more my moneys worth out of the game. I like the class progression and it runs great on the new Dell XPS 8300 I got as my Christmas present.

Heliocentric
26-02-2012, 08:39 PM
Just completed the 6th chapter of portal 2 coop, exceptional game most people will never see the end of. Personal opinion? A true work of art that follows on from the genetic prototype of portal 1... But know this, portal 2 single player was just an extended tutorial compared to the loving design throughout the coop.

vinraith
26-02-2012, 10:14 PM
Just completed the 6th chapter of portal 2 coop, exceptional game most people will never see the end of. Personal opinion? A true work of art that follows on from the genetic prototype of portal 1... But know this, portal 2 single player was just an extended tutorial compared to the loving design throughout the coop.

Don't neglect the art appreciation DLC.

Althea
26-02-2012, 10:16 PM
Been on/off Burnout Paradise for the last day or two. Got all billboards, all jumps, all smashes (Yes, all 400), found all 120 events and I'm a few wins into the A License. I've noticed that the "better" cars are shit, though. I tried one or two of the Carbon cars (granted for all jumps/boards/smashes) and they're all over the place. Also tried that big van that's practically a tank, and it handles like a stubborn mule.

Rauten
26-02-2012, 10:46 PM
Really Big Sky. Dear lord I was a fool for not grabbing the Indie Royale that it was part of.
Objectively, I should say it's a shitty game because half of the time I have no idea what the hell is going on on-screen, but it doesn't matter, I still can't help but love it, even in those moments. Hell, specially in those moments, it's like watching a fireworks display, the more colours and explosions they throw at you, the prettier it looks.

The JG Man
26-02-2012, 11:37 PM
Just finished Serious Sam: First Encounter HD on Hard.

I used lots of 'Mature Language', that's for sure. For example - "well, what else can they throw at me, there's alreFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU". The music (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BG1wtCdnEU&fmt=18) for the final boss helped a hell of a lot.

All in all, the game was a joy to play and exactly what I wanted from a big, dumb, brash shooter. So many more games to play in the backlog, but I'm glad I cleared this one. It had its moments of absolute frustration, but they were followed by moments of absolute satisfaction. 13 hours on the clock, maybe 2/3 of the secrets found; I got a lot better at finding them nearer to the end. Back to ME3's demo and Star Trek Online for a bit, before I decide on my next game. It may be a short one to cram in before ME3; maybe Red Faction: Armageddon. I don't think I can take Second Encounter so quickly, not to mention I have SS3 to install. And Skyrim which I still haven't started. GOOD LORD.

Voon
27-02-2012, 09:06 AM
Just finished Serious Sam: First Encounter HD on Hard. All in all, the game was a joy to play and exactly what I wanted from a big, dumb, brash shooter.

Somehow, I find it ironic when it's actually more challenging to play than the average FPS.

The JG Man
27-02-2012, 09:11 AM
On thinking back, it definitely has the persona of a big, dumb, brash game, but only two of those are accurate. You need to be smart about what weapons you use for what, being a good enough shot that you don't waste ammo until the next scarce supply. Further, how crazy are you in willing to attempt the secret traps? And so on. The map design, whilst a little arena-to-arena at times, is wide open, essential for those desperate reverse circle strafing moves.

I suppose my use of 'dumb' is maybe based off the reason/plot, which is very much an excuse for all the action. I'm cool with it though. The actual game itself is far from it.

NecroKnight
27-02-2012, 10:45 AM
I'm playing Tribes: Ascend again. I want to see if I like the implemented changes.

Juan Carlo
27-02-2012, 01:46 PM
Just finished Serious Sam: First Encounter HD on Hard.

I used lots of 'Mature Language', that's for sure. For example - "well, what else can they throw at me, there's alreFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU". The music (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BG1wtCdnEU&fmt=18) for the final boss helped a hell of a lot.

I just finished it on "serious" last week. I'm not sure why I subjected myself to it as I ended up loathing the game by the end (I raged harder at this game than any other game in recent memory, not necessarily because it's hard, but more so just because it's so insanely repetitive. There were times when yet another wave of monsters appeared in the same arena I'd already been dispatching wave after wave of monsters for the past half hour that I just wanted to throw my monitor across the room).

Which isn't to say that it's a bad game. Just that it only has enough content for about 6 levels rather than 14. The first six or so levels are awesome, but you've seen everything the game has to offer at that point and everything after that is just one long repetitive slog of fighting wave after wave of the same 5 or 6 monster types in same-ish looking arenas (and it's not even like the difficulty increases or anything either. If anything the game is 100 times more difficult in the first 3 or 4 levels when all you have is a shotgun. The room that locks you in with only a shot gun and pistols, for example, while wave after wave of those green, exploding, hopping things fly at you is probably the single hardest thing in the game, and I think that happens in like the 3rd level. Once you get all the weapons, though, it becomes alot easier).

Plus, I really don't understand why people regard the game as "Retro." Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and most other 1990s shooters did not play like Serious Sam does. Serious Sam is really a genre all its own--kind of like a weird hybrid of FPS and SHMUP.

The map design, whilst a little arena-to-arena at times, is wide open, essential for those desperate reverse circle strafing moves.

The map design in the early parts of the game is kind of interesting (i.e. it relied more on multi-levels, platforms, secret areas, etc, etc, to keep things interesting--and those portions of the game did seem more "retro" to me), but the map design in the second half of the game is atrocious. There's really not much "design" to it at all. It's just one giant arena linked to the next. Sometimes there will be corridors and locked doors or whatnot, but for the most part it's really uninspired. Which isn't to say that's bad (the arenas can be quite fun, actually, taken on their own), but the game hits you with one after another so it becomes too much of a good thing. I did like the final boss, though. One of the more memorable final bosses of any game, I think.

Anyhow, ON TO SECOND ENCOUNTER!

Flint
27-02-2012, 02:03 PM
Anyhow, ON TO SECOND ENCOUNTER!
Your map design complaints about First Encounter will definitely not be repeated with Second Encounter. That game is absolutely bonkers in design and adores messing around with the player in a delightfully zany way, both in level design and the hazards you face. A rotating tube filled with werebulls; hordes of mini-sized enemies; picking up an innocent health pill causes a gigantic pair of eyes to float in the sky which eventually turn into a giant kamikaze - and more! Hell, the game begins with a huge horde of various enemies when all you have is a chainsaw, pistol and a shotgun (and possibly something more if you fancy taking a little swim in the beginning...).

Second Encounter is my favourite of the series simply because it is batshit insane.

Voon
27-02-2012, 02:30 PM
Your map design complaints about First Encounter will definitely not be repeated with Second Encounter. That game is absolutely bonkers in design and adores messing around with the player in a delightfully zany way, both in level design and the hazards you face. A rotating tube filled with werebulls; hordes of mini-sized enemies; picking up an innocent health pill causes a gigantic pair of eyes to float in the sky which eventually turn into a giant kamikaze - and more! Hell, the game begins with a huge horde of various enemies when all you have is a chainsaw, pistol and a shotgun (and possibly something more if you fancy taking a little swim in the beginning...).

Second Encounter is my favourite of the series simply because it is batshit insane.

Not to mention those fucking Kleers coming to you in waves. Endless waves of Kleers and Werebulls tearing you a new one in that giant Aztec field. And all that with a giant cannon with explosive ammo in hand that's capable of bulldozing all of them in a straight line after a satisfyingly powerful charge-shot. Yes, it's that good.

And oh, Kamikazes

alms
27-02-2012, 03:43 PM
Woohoo! Managed to scratch a couple titles off my backlog list! The first two episodes in the Blackwell series: Legacy and Unbound. I don't generally care much for supernatural investigator kind of stuff, but it was a refreshing change of pace. They are a bit uneven and lack cohesiveness, both within the single game and as a series, but considering their history I won't complain. The game are a bit on the short side (although I consulted a couple times a walkthrough in each game whenever I was feeling frustrated), and overall I'm glad to have picked them up in a bundle. The extra content (commentaries, voice outtakes, etc) is a nice addition but for die-hard fans. I'm likely to play Convergence and then leave it at that.

From the latest IndieRoyale Alpha: Wyv and Keep is the most polished among the three and offers an interesting puzzle-platformer experience with cute-sy, charming retro graphics, similar to Konjak's style. The gameplay reminded me a bit of Spelunky, Blocks that Matter and Sokoban - I might keep playing this one. 3079 is some sort of sci-fi Minecraft but less of a sandbox and more of a conventional FPS/RPG. There's something (...un-gamey?) about Minecraft I can't quite put my finger on, that makes it work for me, and that's not in 3079. Also the graphics make my eyes bleed - totally lacks the endearing minimalism of Minecraft. Towns is the least developed title, most of the gameplay elements are still missing and the engine need a lot of work too. It feels more of a tech demo than a real game. I'm tracking these last two on Desura, just in case.

Katawa Shoujo, managed to end the Rin storyline (insipid), and currently playing Emi (not as bad as I thought, if you can look past some slips). I found myself going back to this one whenever I feel like playing but too tired to face a proper challenge. If this trend holds what I thought impossible may happen: I could end up playing all 5 characters!

I'm still dabbling with Defense Grid, mostly challenges, but I'm beginning to feel a bit weary after about 40h. There's a lot of backtracking to be done when hunting for medals. And I still haven't played the last mission! Typical me.

Kodeen
27-02-2012, 07:12 PM
Lost most of the weekend to Morrowind with the overhaul mod pack. I assassinated a guy and then took out his whole family, except for a couple of women upstairs. They were busy sweeping and knew magic, and I could still use the downstairs as my own house anyway.

For some reason, when I played Oblivion I stuck to UESP almost religiously. I think for all of my dislike of minmaxing stats, I ended up doing it with the leveled items instead. With Morrowind I'm just doing whatever crosses my semi-random path, and decisions on which quest to do are based on what's close to my location as opposed to what questline am I currently on. It's immensely more enjoyable.

TailSwallower
27-02-2012, 07:47 PM
Towns is the least developed title, most of the gameplay elements are still missing and the engine need a lot of work too. It feels more of a tech demo than a real game.

You're completely right, but I have already sunk at least 4 hours into that uncompleted yet addictive bastard. I've actually got to force myself to stop playing it so it'll be a better experience for me once they're in Beta.

Lukasz
27-02-2012, 09:59 PM
Still fallout tactics
Mission 7 Commit Beastlord genocide.
i am attacking their main base (at least i think it is a main base. maybe there will be twist and i'll find out that it was actually a fraud)
really problem with ammo. did not take enough of it and i am running out of hunting riffle (my main gun for everyone) ammo. Still i have around 250 bullets for four guys but at that rate of gain/loss of ammo i might have trouble later in the mission.
It is also time to upgrade my weaponry as hunting riffle was my main tool for killing stuff (with AK being back up and stich's shotgun for him)
Really fun game.

Flint
27-02-2012, 10:22 PM
It is also time to upgrade my weaponry as hunting riffle was my main tool for killing stuff (with AK being back up and stich's shotgun for him)
If you're a small guns user, you won't really get around upgrading your guns until during/after the first super mutant mission; there's a few sniper rifles hidden in the field in that mission and they will become available to buy in store after the mission, and subsequent missions give better shotguns/assault rifles/etc.

(I heavily recommend you have a couple of big guns users to survive that first super mutant mission though, and preferably to help you afterwards as well)

Lukasz
27-02-2012, 10:39 PM
If you're a small guns user, you won't really get around upgrading your guns until during/after the first super mutant mission; there's a few sniper rifles hidden in the field in that mission and they will become available to buy in store after the mission, and subsequent missions give better shotguns/assault rifles/etc.

(I heavily recommend you have a couple of big guns users to survive that first super mutant mission though, and preferably to help you afterwards as well)
there is a guy ready to recruited who is big gun user... the problem is that i don't have any besides rocket launcher yet.

Flint
27-02-2012, 10:50 PM
there is a guy ready to recruited who is big gun user... the problem is that i don't have any besides rocket launcher yet.
All super mutants that aren't trying to melee you carry heavy weaponry, so once you knock down the first small group you encounter in the relevant mission you'll have a machine gun in your arsenal.

The first super mutant mission is pretty much a massive difficulty spike for the game, but with a little perseverance, tactics and frequent saving it's doable. Rely on the big guns users with machine guns, use burst fire with assault rifles and find the sniper rifles found in the level to give your small guns users something that gives them a proper fighting edge.

alms
28-02-2012, 12:07 AM
You're completely right, but I have already sunk at least 4 hours into that uncompleted yet addictive bastard. I've actually got to force myself to stop playing it so it'll be a better experience for me once they're in Beta.

What killed it for me was a CTD in one of the last tutorials, the prospect of going through the whole cut trees/dig stone/build carpentry/masonry routine all over again felt like a chore (although as I'm writing this, I realize at least half of that chore is navigating the clunky UI). I was going to wait for the next update, but hell! I'm going to give it another go now.

Fumarole
28-02-2012, 12:52 AM
The first super mutant mission is pretty much a massive difficulty spike for the game, but with a little perseverance, tactics and frequent saving it's doable.Shoot the fuckers in the eyes I say.

Jabberwocky
28-02-2012, 03:19 AM
Been on/off Burnout Paradise for the last day or two. Got all billboards, all jumps, all smashes (Yes, all 400), found all 120 events and I'm a few wins into the A License. I've noticed that the "better" cars are shit, though. I tried one or two of the Carbon cars (granted for all jumps/boards/smashes) and they're all over the place. Also tried that big van that's practically a tank, and it handles like a stubborn mule.

My son and I have been having a blast with Burnout Paradise. His favorite vehicle is the tank...I mean, van. Would love to see a sequel.

Anthile
28-02-2012, 08:29 AM
Finished Crysis and the Warhead expansion and went through Mirror's Edge as well. Now I play Clash of Heroes and damn, this game is hard. I managed to finish the elven campaign and some of the battles are just brutally hard. The human campaign doesn't seem any easier, just had a fight where I was killed in the third round for twice my maximum health. It seems that everyone who is above your level is completely capable of wiping the floor with you and will do so unless you get lucky.

Althea
28-02-2012, 08:48 AM
My son and I have been having a blast with Burnout Paradise. His favorite vehicle is the tank...I mean, van. Would love to see a sequel.
I hate that van. It sucks so much. It doesn't understand what a corner is, instead it just goes in a straight line. Slowly. With lots of annoying bangs.

Anyway, 10 events or so into the A license, and I've gotten to grips with one of the carbon cars. Almost. Just touch the brake and the back end kicks out and the next thing you know, you're hugging a wall.

Juan Carlo
28-02-2012, 10:59 AM
So I think I'm starting to get the hang of DOTA 2. Only problem is that I only like playing Venomancer. If I get stuck with any other hero I have no idea what to do and suck. Which might be a problem. I should probably familiarize myself with at least a couple other heroes to get by in the game.

sabrage
28-02-2012, 12:33 PM
So I think I'm starting to get the hang of DOTA 2. Only problem is that I only like playing Venomancer. If I get stuck with any other hero I have no idea what to do and suck. Which might be a problem. I should probably familiarize myself with at least a couple other heroes to get by in the game.
I just uninstalled it and went back to LoL. It's the exact same game as HoN, and I didn't care for that much either.

Giaddon
28-02-2012, 02:16 PM

Check out Driver: San Francisco. Excellent vehicle free-roam with a ton of activities and vehicles, plus the totally crazy and awesome shift mechanic.

Giaddon
28-02-2012, 04:48 PM
I'm playing... Endwar! You know, that Tom Clancy-branded voice-controlled RTS from Ubisoft that came out in 2009 and no one paid any attention to?

That Endwar?

Anyway, it turns out that it's really, really good, and one of the best single-player RTS games I've ever played (I'm not bothering with any of that voice control stuff (not necessary on PC)). The single-player mode doesn't have a story or any scripting (other than an initial tutorial prelude), it's a turn-based campaign on eastern North America, Europe, and western Russia, where you choose one of those three and try to defeat the rest, by either holding all three capitals or controlling a majority of territories. In each turn, you choose one territory to attack or defend from a list of options determined by the fronts of battle. Your units also gain experience as you fight, and you can purchase upgrades which apply to sufficiently veteran units. It's an excellent system that encourages careful deployment of valuable veteran troops, and gives a feeling of persistence and progression as you fight world war 3.

The battles are straight tactics. No base building of any kind. There are only 7 units in the game total, and each side has access to them (although there are subtle differences per side). There are three core units that act as hard counters to each other (gunships->tanks->transports->gunships), and infantry, artillery, and a command unit that complicate this. Also off-map support (air strikes, emp blasts, and force recon. Also, WMD.) You start a map with 2-4 units, and then fly more in as you earn command points, which accumulate at a constant rate. You can have a maximum of 12 units on the map at a time, although typically you'll be working with 6-8. Every unit costs 4CP (except the command unit). You also get 4CP when you capture an uplink structure, which are the key structures of the game.

A typical map (there are ~30 in the game) is a battle for control of the majority of uplink structures. Only infantry can capture an uplink, and once you hold the majority, a victory timer starts counting down (typically 5 minutes). Once this happens, DEFCON 1 is triggered and the game really opens up. Once DEFCON 1 is in effect, the losing player gets two new options: they can crash an uplink, and they can launch a WMD. Crashing an uplink removes it from the game, which is bad for the controlling player because off-map support is tied to specific uplinks. If you crash the uplink your enemy upgraded with an air strike, he can't call it in anymore. The WMD is, as it sounds, a weapon that destroys any unit caught in a wide radius. After, and only after, the losing player uses his WMD can the other player use his. It's a fantastic dilemma. Sometimes it's best never to use your WMD, and deny the enemy the ability to use it.

This morning I lost an assault on Paris because the computer dropped a WMD on my command unit and my only transport unit, and seriously disrupted my forces with gunships before I could fly in another transport. I panicked and launched my WMD, which did take out his gunships... but also the unit of infantry I was counting on the take the last uplink, which I had placed in cover nearby. Oops.

There's other stuff to talk about, like how units can be defeated but not killed, how the camera is locked to individual units, how you only have access to the tactical map if your command unit is in play, or how the different off-map supports work, but I've written too long already.

Anyway, the game was compared to World in Conflict on release, which it is really nothing like. It's a slow, deliberate, and highly tactical game. As a single-player RTS experience, it really shines.

Odeon
28-02-2012, 05:51 PM
With Morrowind I'm just doing whatever crosses my semi-random path, and decisions on which quest to do are based on what's close to my location as opposed to what questline am I currently on. It's immensely more enjoyable.
This has always been my M.O. in TES games. I've found the ones I've played (Morrowind more than any other, though that was while it was the last/greatest) to be greatly enjoyable, but I never get anywhere near the end of the storyline. There are so many quests, so many places to explore, and so many things to steal from so many people that I hardly actually get anywhere!

Voon
28-02-2012, 06:03 PM
Now on a PC gaming hiatus with the desktop still needing a graphics card replacement, so Monster Hunter Tri on the Wii. Finally able to pass the urgent mission and kill Giant Moro- err, I mean.... Jhen Mohran with three others. Vets, all of them. And I embarrass myself for my incompetence. Well, haven't played it for weeks anyway but that isn't much of an excuse for it.

And yeah, The Dark Spire on the DS. I'm loving this japanese Wizardry tribute/clone and now conquering the 1st floor, exploring every inch of the floor just to reveal everything on the map so I wouldn't get lost next time. Oh, grinding for EXP too. Somehow, those Floating Coins managed to be one of those weak, yet annoyingly tough enemies that would kick my ass in every unfortunate encounter with them. Killed Cedric too, those nasty buggers. I'm staying out of the Basement of that tower, for now.

The JG Man
28-02-2012, 06:36 PM
So I wanted to quickly go through another game in my backlog that didn't take too long before Mass Effect 3's release next week. I picked Red Faction: Armageddon. Despite the fact I'm apparently 20% through it already (and playing on the hardest difficulty...) it has an issue that I've just encountered. If I save the game manually, it won't actually save my progress. For example, I'll clear and area to obtain salvage then upgrade something, save up before initiating the next part of my linearity. I'll die, because it's a god damn shitty 'escort' quest where you have to stand a narrow platform where your only movement is left and right, where running either side doesn't completely negate any damage fired at the other end, of which part of the left has cover (which you're so handily told can be repaired, except for enemy attacks that bypass it anyhow). So I'll reload...only when I load it up, my progress will be lost. It makes no sense and it couldn't come at a more frustrating part.

Otherwise, it's actually fairly good. Not amazing, but decent to play. Far too linear and nowhere near as fun as Guerilla, but it's passable. More later...

Kodeen
28-02-2012, 08:30 PM
This has always been my M.O. in TES games. I've found the ones I've played (Morrowind more than any other, though that was while it was the last/greatest) to be greatly enjoyable, but I never get anywhere near the end of the storyline. There are so many quests, so many places to explore, and so many things to steal from so many people that I hardly actually get anywhere!

I'm loosely basing my path around the island around where I need to be for the next main quest, since I do want to at least complete that chain. Chosen ones are chosen by choosers, and that's a responsibility I can't shake off. But if some guy along the way wants an escort to some place that I wasn't even intending to go, sure, why not.

RamSteelwood
28-02-2012, 08:43 PM
I'm playing 'The Beautiful Game: The Game'.
Follow the link in my sig if you would like to join us! Kick off is 9pm. :)

pariah
28-02-2012, 10:50 PM
I'm really digging alan wake right now, each episodes is a blast to play. I just finished episode 3 which is a hell of a lot of fun, hopefully there's still lots of episodes left =D

squareking
28-02-2012, 11:30 PM
I just started a first-time playthrough of JA2 1.13 (and ToEE and Icewind Dale 2...whatiswrongwithme) and this is the best game ever made. Ira is a terrible shot with her .38 S&W, but while lying prone near a building during the enemy's turn, one guy stopped in front of a window and decided to survey the terrain. Ira interrupted, took aim at his noggin, and one-shotted the bastard fool, shattering the glass. Satisfaction.

The JG Man
29-02-2012, 12:32 AM
When anyone else played Red Faction: Armageddon, did they have a problem where if they manually saved a game and loaded it up from that point, the save would be ignored and it would default to whatever the last autosave was? I've lost a good 40 or so minutes of progress in total because of this and I find it totally unacceptable. Tried googling the issue, but absolutely nothing of this nature has come up specifically for RF:A. So yeah, if you've had it or know of any fix, I'd appreciate knowing. Ta!

Lambchops
29-02-2012, 01:18 AM
I'm playing 'The Beautiful Game: The Game'.
Follow the link in my sig if you would like to join us! Kick off is 9pm. :)

But what about World Cup Doubles?!

Pisstaking aside, I might have a look at this at some stage if only for nostalgia value at playing games of small teams/individuals against the keeper back in school.

alms
29-02-2012, 03:18 AM
I've finished Blackwell Convergence. I was really liking the movie (TV-series?) -like flow of the game until I got stuck on one of those silly exhaust-the-conversation-options puzzles and somehow it ruined it for me. It's probably the most accomplished title in the series from a technical standpoint, graphics are beautiful and the music fits in very well. The story is also the most interesting so far, regardless of some small flaws here and there. They even got rid of that silly hollow echo effect on the ghosts' voices for the most part!

Feeling good about my progress, I went on to check out Zombie Shooter 2. Played for about 10 minutes, and I was even mildly interested but then got lost, blamed it on the lack of clear directions and gave up. Another one scratched off my backlog.

Finally I played myself some BEEP (currently in the BeMine Bundle). It's a physics-based platformer which looks like a blend of NightSky, Trine and Rochard. You guide a small robot (using WASD+mouse) called a BEEP, that looks like Wall-e minus the trash compactor, on a mission to explore a solar system to collect tiny antimatter bits. The thingie rolls on wheels not entirely unlike the ball in NightSky and has a gravity gun like the Rochard guy: you use it to manipulate boxes and hinged planks like in Trine (also jigsaw-like sliding blocks). It also has a toy gun which so far is mostly used to dispatch enemy robots you then proceed to use as stepping stones. Later, you get a jetpack.

The graphics style is cutesy, a bit like Bob Came in Pieces, but not quite as charming as Nimbus. It also got World of Goo-esque sound effects but again, not as endearing.

Levels are mostly made of separated platforms and will have you jump around a lot. From time to time you have to pass through a dark underground passage armed only with an underpowered flashlight with which you have to figure out where to jump next. Good thing these parts are usually short.

The first "world" starts out as a pretty dull tutorial but later gets into some kind of flow which I was enjoying. Then I ran into a difficulty spike at the start of the second world, where the pile-up-stuff-to-get-access-to-high-platform mechanic suddenly becomes frustrating. Partly because the platform you are using is tiny, and partly because of the controls, a bit fiddly: the objects tend to accelerate unexpectedly and bounce away, usually falling out of your reach so you have to restart the level.

All in all it does not look like a bad game, and I'm planning to play it again to see if the level design stays interesting enough without being too frustrating.

airtekh
29-02-2012, 05:22 PM
I finished Assassin's Creed Revelations (well singleplayer at least, I'm still playing the superb multiplayer) so I need a new SP game to fill the recent void.

I've picked two from my backlog. One is Fahrenheit (or Indigo Prophecy if you're American), which I bought out of sheer curiosity.

The other is Chronicles of Riddick. The version I have includes both Escape from Butcher Bay and Assault on Dark Athena; EFBB seems to be held in higher regard so I've started that first.

It's quite enjoyable so far. It's odd but because I've already played Zeno Clash, the first-person fisticuffs comparison is always in the back of my mind. Artistically they're poles apart though, which helps.

@The JG Man

I think you're out of luck, because the same thing happened to me. The save system in RFA is checkpoint-based, and I don't think it will allow you to save anywhere you want.

The JG Man
29-02-2012, 05:27 PM
EFBB is certainly better, as AoDA very much feels like an expansion. That being said, AoDA is not to be dismissed and still very fun. To be honest, the whole package is great. I picked it up for £9 pre-owned on my 360 and even without touching MP, I felt I had got a hell of a lot out of it.

As for the save-system in RFA, it supposedly does let you save manually, but that seems to be what I'm having the problem with. If that doesn't work, that raises two issues: 1. Why bother including it? 2. Why is the checkpointing so sucky? Urgh, well, I suppose it's nice to know I'm not the only one who suffers from it.

Anthile
29-02-2012, 06:30 PM
Have you checked if the save folder is somehow set to read only? Perhaps try to run it as admin.

vinraith
29-02-2012, 06:50 PM
I finished Assassin's Creed Revelations (well singleplayer at least, I'm still playing the superb multiplayer) so I need a new SP game to fill the recent void.

If you don't mind me asking, was it possible to maintain your "avoid ever having to deal with the tower defense game by keeping your awareness low" trick all the way to the end of the game, or did it force it up on a number of occasions?

The JG Man
29-02-2012, 06:51 PM
Well apparently I don't have a save folder. A quick Google search suggested I needed to create one, so I've done so. I'll test it out later I guess. Cheers.

airtekh
29-02-2012, 07:20 PM
If you don't mind me asking, was it possible to maintain your "avoid ever having to deal with the tower defense game by keeping your awareness low" trick all the way to the end of the game, or did it force it up on a number of occasions?

Yeah, it worked. I only played the minigame once throughout the entire singleplayer campaign. The only time you're forced into the tower defense game is at the very start, during the tutorial missions. Just keep an eye on the notoriety meter and seek out a herald whenever they pop up on your minimap.

I also found out that if you complete all of the 'Master Assassin' side missions (the ones you do with the Assassins whom you assign to be den captains) then it makes your Assassin dens invulnerable, so the minigame ceases to exist!

vinraith
29-02-2012, 07:26 PM
Yeah, it worked. I only played the minigame once throughout the entire singleplayer campaign. The only time you're forced into the tower defense game is at the very start, during the tutorial missions. Just keep an eye on the notoriety meter and seek out a herald whenever they pop up on your minimap.

I also found out that if you complete all of the 'Master Assassin' side missions (the ones you do with the Assassins whom you assign to be den captains) then it makes your Assassin dens invulnerable, so the minigame ceases to exist!

That's all very good to know, thanks! I'll have to give it another try, knowing that.

Heliocentric
29-02-2012, 08:09 PM
I have a bone to pick with the general population about Deus ex: HR, Stealth is a valid method of taking on the first boss... Sorta.

I bunged an emp grenade by his feet, used the cover to cover rolls to hide from him... I then hid for 5 minutes, occasionally emp grenading him when discovered, until he killed himself with his own frag grenades.

STEALTH KILLAH

GOD DAMN IT, now I need to play the play the game sub optimally to play a Popcap meets AAA game. *sigh* Who am I kidding, its hardly likely to be up to Plants vs Zombies standard with all the criticism I've heard of it.

vinraith
29-02-2012, 08:13 PM
GOD DAMN IT, now I need to play the play the game sub optimally to play a Popcap meets AAA game. *sigh* Who am I kidding, its hardly likely to be up to Plants vs Zombies standard with all the criticism I've heard of it.

I enjoyed Plants vs. Zombies, I loved Defense Grid, take my word that the tower defense minigame in ACR is complete shit.

Heliocentric
29-02-2012, 08:23 PM
I enjoyed Plants vs. Zombies, I loved Defense Grid, take my word that the tower defense minigame in ACR is complete shit.
What about immortal defence?

vinraith
29-02-2012, 08:53 PM
What about immortal defence?

Never played it.

Suffice it to say ACR's implementation is simultaneously incredibly basic and incredibly inane, while being just difficult enough to be frustrating.

Heliocentric
29-02-2012, 09:03 PM
Never played it.

Suffice it to say ACR's implementation is simultaneously incredibly basic and incredibly inane, while being just difficult enough to be frustrating.
Try the demo
http://studioeres.com/immortal/
Its like the dwarf fortress of tower defence... Okay I only mean that in the sense that the GUI causes headaches, its like playing spectrum with a broken keyboard while watching a 'cracker scene' animation under the effect of a cocktail of drugs all the while convinced you are actually playing it.

Yeah.

Juan Carlo
29-02-2012, 10:54 PM
So I'm nearing the end of "Fallout New Vegas" and working my way through the DLC.

This really is an awesome game. Like one of the best Action RPGs ever, I think. It's light years beyond Fallout 3 (which was the only game in the series that felt like a chore to play through).

Anyhow, this also means I'm nearing the end of my play through of the entire Fallout series (beginning with the first) that I started back around Halloween. It's been fun.

Of course, I did skip "Tactics." Maybe I'll play it at some point, I don't know.

Casimir Effect
29-02-2012, 11:00 PM
DE: Human Revolution question:
Is it possible to accidently progress main plot too far and so cut yourself off from side quests, or are you given a warning before this might happen? For example, I'm right at the start so wandering round Detroit and have a sidequest about getting info on a crooked cop and the main quest wants me to see a body in the police station. If I do this stage of the main quest (or the next stage) will I be suddenly unable to continue with the side quest, does the game give me an indication if this sort of thing will happen?

Otherwise I'm having a lot of fun with the game, although I kind of wish it hadn't been a semi-open hub game and I don't have time to wander round exploring every little thing right now.

Serenegoose
29-02-2012, 11:03 PM
DE: Human Revolution question:
Is it possible to accidently progress main plot too far and so cut yourself off from side quests, or are you given a warning before this might happen? For example, I'm right at the start so wandering round Detroit and have a sidequest about getting info on a crooked cop and the main quest wants me to see a body in the police station. If I do this stage of the main quest (or the next stage) will I be suddenly unable to continue with the side quest, does the game give me an indication if this sort of thing will happen?

Otherwise I'm having a lot of fun with the game, although I kind of wish it hadn't been a semi-open hub game and I don't have time to wander round exploring every little thing right now.

Yeah it'll go YOU ARE LEAVING THE AREA ALL SIDE QUESTS WILL BE CLOSED once you hit the point of no return.

Ravelle
29-02-2012, 11:12 PM
Tribes Ascend Beta, It feels like the maps are too big or there are too few players, it's a lot of flying/walking until you finally get someone insight, but even then they are so far away, it's like shooting at flies.

Casimir Effect
29-02-2012, 11:37 PM
Yeah it'll go YOU ARE LEAVING THE AREA ALL SIDE QUESTS WILL BE CLOSED once you hit the point of no return.
Fanfuckingtastic, thank you! It drives me mad having to do every side quest available before daring to do a main quest just in case they suddenly disappear. Never had this paranoia before playing The Witcher, although I would have had it earlier if I had ever advanced to Act 3 of Baldur's Gate 2 without having done everything in Act 2.

Wizardry
01-03-2012, 12:04 AM
I would have had it earlier if I had ever advanced to Act 3 of Baldur's Gate 2 without having done everything in Act 2.
Why? No quests close in act 3. Quests only open (vampire quests/shadow thief quests).

NathanH
01-03-2012, 12:06 AM
What happens if you follow the vampire quests without starting the thief stronghold quest? I never tried that order. The questgiver will not be available by the end of the vampire line.

Miker
01-03-2012, 12:18 AM
Tribes: Ascend. GOTTA GO FAST. I've given thought to creating a Rock, Paper, Spinfusor thread in the RPS game club forum, but to be honest, without a dedicated server system in place, it seems like it'll be nigh impossible to actually play with a few of your friends on the same team.

vinraith
01-03-2012, 12:32 AM
Fanfuckingtastic, thank you! It drives me mad having to do every side quest available before daring to do a main quest just in case they suddenly disappear. Never had this paranoia before playing The Witcher, although I would have had it earlier if I had ever advanced to Act 3 of Baldur's Gate 2 without having done everything in Act 2.

I always thought all that was terribly funny in BG2. If I'd been playing a character that gave a shit about Imoen (as opposed to one that backstabbed her to death right outside Candlekeep in BG1 and was annoyed to find her alive at all in 2) wouldn't I have been more interested in saving my friend than running random errands? And then, the next time you can do side quests, you're slowly dying, so again you'd think you'd have other priorities. There's something of a narrative pacing problem, there.

The JG Man
01-03-2012, 12:33 AM
Well apparently I don't have a save folder. A quick Google search suggested I needed to create one, so I've done so. I'll test it out later I guess. Cheers.

Well, tried it, didn't work. What absolutely bullshit.

Casimir Effect
01-03-2012, 12:48 AM
Why? No quests close in act 3. Quests only open (vampire quests/shadow thief quests).
That's funny, I always thought some disappeared or at least something changed. Well I guess if you followed the Guild quests too far you'll find your ass in Spellhold, but the game does give you a pretty big hint that you won't be back for a while.

I always thought all that was terribly funny in BG2. If I'd been playing a character that gave a shit about Imoen (as opposed to one that backstabbed her to death right outside Candlekeep in BG1 and was annoyed to find her alive at all in 2) wouldn't I have been more interested in saving my friend than running random errands? And then, the next time you can do side quests, you're slowly dying, so again you'd think you'd have other priorities. There's something of a narrative pacing problem, there.
[actually much of this could be construed as spoilery for BG2 & DA2]I always found it funny how in Dragon Age 2 people complained when Leliana is shown to be alive at the end regardless of how you pursued the Sacred Ashes quest in Origins and yet I never see anyone complain about Imoen being alive at the start of BG2 even if you lamped her right from the start. I would guess even the Trilogy mod even ensures she's in Irenicus' dungeon because it's so plot necessary.[end now]
I have no problem with the Kidnapped Friend trope. It's used so often in games that you get used to it. It's simply more absurd in
RPGs because of the amount of time that can elapse between them disappearing and being rescued. Like how some people rest constantly in BG2 and so the time taken between waking up in the dungeon and killing Irenicus can be several years.

Wizardry
01-03-2012, 01:10 AM
That's funny, I always thought some disappeared or at least something changed. Well I guess if you followed the Guild quests too far you'll find your ass in Spellhold, but the game does give you a pretty big hint that you won't be back for a while.
Spellhold is chapter 4. And even at that point you can still finish quests in chapter 6 when you return to the surface from Underdark. In other words, I don't see the problem.

The whole purpose of those quests is to get the money needed to obtain information and help to find Imoen.

Casimir Effect
01-03-2012, 01:17 AM
Spellhold is chapter 4. And even at that point you can still finish quests in chapter 6 when you return to the surface from Underdark. In other words, I don't see the problem.
But you could accidentally go to Chapter 4 if you were silly and had been lulled into a false sense of security from the Ch. 2 -> 3 transition. And if you missed most of the quests of Ch.2 you'd be horrifically under-prepared for Ch.3 onwards; vampire are assholes.

The whole purpose of those quests is to get the money needed to obtain information and help to find Imoen.
That money can be gotten in a day or two. You can waste weeks doing all the subquests. Luckily the Cowled Wizards administration process is on par with any Governmental civil service one when it comes to speed and efficiency.

vinraith
01-03-2012, 01:21 AM

I really don't remember the cash being hard to come up with, at all. Fortunately, one of the benefits of playing evil is that making money can take precedence over saving an innocent-if-annoying young woman from having the life sucked out of her.

Wizardry
01-03-2012, 02:13 AM
But you could accidentally go to Chapter 4 if you were silly and had been lulled into a false sense of security from the Ch. 2 -> 3 transition. And if you missed most of the quests of Ch.2 you'd be horrifically under-prepared for Ch.3 onwards; vampire are assholes.
It's the exact opposite. Doing all the quests before going to chapter 4 makes Spellhold and Underdark a walk in the park. Kangaxx and Firkraag are harder than anything in those two places by far. In fact, it's best to leave some quests for chapter 6 so that you have a bit of challenge through the middle of the game.

I really don't remember the cash being hard to come up with, at all. Fortunately, one of the benefits of playing evil is that making money can take precedence over saving an innocent-if-annoying young woman from having the life sucked out of her.
So what? Why should there only be enough money in the world for you to rescue Imoen? Why should there be just enough quests to do to reach the monetary goal?

vinraith
01-03-2012, 02:25 AM
So what? Why should there only be enough money in the world for you to rescue Imoen? Why should there be just enough quests to do to reach the monetary goal?

You're absolutely right that there's no particular reason there should only be enough cash-giving quests to rescue Imoen.

I do wish, on those occasions when I'm playing a good character, that there was a lull somewhere in the story that would allow me to run side quests without having to feel guilty about it, though.

Tikey
01-03-2012, 02:45 AM
Serious Sam 3
I just hit something with a hammer and Sam yelled "Hammer time!". I think I'm in love with this game now.

Nalano
01-03-2012, 04:20 AM
I do wish, on those occasions when I'm playing a good character, that there was a lull somewhere in the story that would allow me to run side quests without having to feel guilty about it, though.

ie: Less Western, more Spaghetti Western.

Heliocentric
01-03-2012, 09:29 AM
ie: Less Western, more Spaghetti Western.
A game that handled the lull nicely was final fantasy tactics A2, after doing a chain of side missions that run along side the last stretch of the story the heroes realise the bosses trap and can decide to let the end boss wait.,and go back to the pub

Althea
01-03-2012, 09:30 AM
Got to The Friendly Arms in BG1, and some creepy bloke killed me outside a keep.

Yaaaaaaay.

NathanH
01-03-2012, 09:44 AM
Got to The Friendly Arms in BG1, and some creepy bloke killed me outside a keep.

Yaaaaaaay.

That is normal. There are a fair few of such encounters early on.

When you replay the game and you know what you're doing, you'll butcher them in a few seconds and wonder how on earth they managed to hurt you.

Similar
01-03-2012, 10:03 AM
Well, tried it, didn't work. What absolutely bullshit.
Very weird. The only thing I remember is playing for as long stretches as possible because the save system worked in an odd way (but I don't remember how it was odd; maybe you have to save at specific points for the saves to work over sessions?). Aside from that, I don't think I had any particular problems with it.
And yeah, Google is no help; lots of complaints about the saving, but no one explains how it works.

Althea
01-03-2012, 10:06 AM
That is normal. There are a fair few of such encounters early on.

When you replay the game and you know what you're doing, you'll butcher them in a few seconds and wonder how on earth they managed to hurt you.
I'll try again later. Will probably get a tad fed up.

NathanH
01-03-2012, 10:14 AM
I'll try again later. Will probably get a tad fed up.

It took me a while when I first played it to get to grips with good strategies. Because the rules are all displayed for you, you can work it out but it's not particularly intuitive, and there is quite a bit gap between playing well and playing badly. I don't want to spoil the experience of learning how to make the rules work for you, but if you get too frustrated I can give you a few hints.