PDA

View Full Version : What are you playing at the moment?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100

Nalano
19-06-2012, 02:15 AM
Ahh, internet idiots...

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e342/jonmphy/Gastor.jpg
Some context (http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e342/jonmphy/Lanos/GUI61307.jpg).
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e342/jonmphy/Damascuss.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e342/jonmphy/APB/ScreenShot00096.jpghttp://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e342/jonmphy/APB/ScreenShot00097.jpg

It's like fishing with dynamite.

sabrage
19-06-2012, 02:18 AM
I'm going to need some proof to substantiate your mistress claims, Nalano. Possibly a chart.

Nalano
19-06-2012, 02:24 AM
Some context (http://wowarchive.yg.com/thread.html?topicId=108217404&sid=1&pageNo=1).
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e342/jonmphy/Amici3.jpg

Some people collect postcards. I collect haters.

I'm going to need some proof to substantiate your mistress claims, Nalano. Possibly a chart.

In which context? 'Cuz I could go either way.

Rauten
19-06-2012, 02:50 AM
Some context (http://wowarchive.yg.com/thread.html?topicId=108217404&sid=1&pageNo=1).

That was absolute gold.

The JG Man
19-06-2012, 03:14 AM
It's hilarious how MMOs are built on the social element as much as the game part, so you get the best of that...and the worst. I think my favourite moments playing WoW were those alt-run, gearing-up-the-noobies raids. I was never in a big, mighty guild and I yearned for more (which was at the very antithesis of how I wanted to play the game, ie. by having fun and not number crunching) but those runs were always so light-hearted, fun and filled with plenty of moments of enjoyment.

That and Ulduar. That place was a blast! 2 manning the first boss was just cool and the whole place was just really, really well designed and incredibly fun. Unfortunately, the only time when I played that we got to the final boss of it, I was lucky enough to get that ultra-rare bug that didn't properly align what was going on on-screen with what was actually happening in-game. It was fixed quickly, but after you have to defend yourself from nine irate people, who would logically believe you were just sucking at something simple, I lost my stride. Sigh. Ulduar was a good reason to play WoW, for me, but I look back at it and think that I wasted so much time I could've spent playing other, generally better games.

Anyhow, more achievement hosing in The Binding of Isaac. Last night, I also started on Lugaru, but after about fifteen minutes of "...well this is a thing", I quietly turned it off and moved it into a list on Steam reserved for games I will never touch again. I then started on Penumbra: Overture, getting about fifteen minutes into that before I called it quits for the evening. Can so very easily see that it's made before Amensia, so we'll see how that goes. Same uneasy atmosphere, done well, however whenever I snap out of that and realise it's a game, the whole thing falls apart for me, which was the same in Amnesia too. Anyhow, I endeavour to finish it and get my backlog as low as possible before my summer of mostly RPGs.

arathain
19-06-2012, 03:15 AM
DoW2 community is much better!

http://i.imgur.com/A8MM3.png

Bleck. As a Mekboy player, I guess I'm glad I never got good. Kommando is abuse now?

Nalano
19-06-2012, 03:17 AM
That was absolute gold.

I got a lot of those.

Battle Programmer Spike
19-06-2012, 05:29 AM
eff you, Nalano. I was almost close to negating the lingering stupidity of trade chat in my mind. And now it all came back in a flash while watching your screenies :P

PS: (good thing is that after 4 years of it I don't even want to go back to WoW).

Hypernetic
19-06-2012, 05:32 AM
Hmm wow, I had a ton of awesome screens like that from WoW but apparently I deleted them at some point.

Nalano
19-06-2012, 05:55 AM
Hmm wow, I had a ton of awesome screens like that from WoW but apparently I deleted them at some point.

In other words, you regained sanity.

Hypernetic
19-06-2012, 06:06 AM
In other words, you regained sanity.

No, I don't think I did it on purpose. I think I just forgot to back them up during one the many transitions I've made while playing WoW. The only screens I could find were ones of guild first kills and other such business.

Battle Programmer Spike
19-06-2012, 06:34 AM
Same happened to me, Hypernetic. I shift-deleted the entire wow directory (as it was a giant mutant copy pasted leftover from an old computer of mine) not too long after I cancelled my sub and completely forgot the screenies between the period after the wotlk launch and the time I decided to leave weren't backed up (a good 1 year worth of screenshots). I kinda regret it, as I had some unique screenshots with friends and whatnot :P. But well, shit happens.

Nalano
19-06-2012, 06:50 AM
I did that with WAR. Actually resubbed just to get a screenie (http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e342/jonmphy/Lanos/screenshot_003.jpg) of my character. It's a shame, tho; that game had the (http://www.whalliance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97938) best (http://www.whalliance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111606) forum RP (http://www.whalliance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225727) ever (http://www.whalliance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200172).

(PS: This (http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e342/jonmphy/ThePlan.jpg) was the plan)

NathanH
19-06-2012, 08:11 AM
Whoever made Nalosux is rubbish, can't even spell and wasn't funny. Nalanoob and Nalablow aren't bad though. I read the former as Nalanob at first, that would be pretty good too.

corbain
19-06-2012, 09:15 AM
I'm playing and loving Crusader Kings 2. It's enormous in scope and the mechanics play out brilliantly. I've so far enjoyed killing evil stepmothers, marrying evil stepmothers, assasinating heirs to my duchies, uniting the kingdom of Ireland, having 14 children by 4 wives- 3 of which ended up dying in my dungeons before they could kill my other sons to promote their sons to my heirs.

This game is rapidly becoming one of my top 5 ever, and it was bought on a whim in the recent Steam 75% off sale.

TuneTu
19-06-2012, 10:50 AM
At the moment I'm playing World of Tanks :-", it's hard but, it's fun, you guys should try it out.

Hypernetic
19-06-2012, 11:03 AM
At the moment I'm playing World of Tanks :-", it's hard but, it's fun, you guys should try it out.

My friends tried to get me into it, I played maybe 40 hours or so and had enough. There is nothing very hard about it, it's just a massive grind and you are constantly matched up against tanks 2-4 tiers higher than you. You literally have zero chance against higher tier tanks like that no matter how skilled you are, they one shot you and all your shells bounce. It's one of those games that has impossible grinds put in place to encourage you to spend money and I hate that.

sonson
19-06-2012, 12:34 PM
Just finished Black Velvetopia in Pyschonauts. More imagination, artistic brilliance and ingenuity in that level than there are in most games. It is just an absolute pleasure to look at and to play.

Still not finished the game but if I had to give one example of a game which demonstrates essentially all of the strengths of the medium, Pyschonauts would be the one. And in my experience at least, there sadly isn't much else that comes close.

coldvvvave
19-06-2012, 01:00 PM
Bleck. As a Mekboy player, I guess I'm glad I never got good. Kommando is abuse now?
Kommando truly shines against inexperienced players and thus the rage in chat. But he is easily kited and countered by competent people, his worst flaw is that he can't do much in the endgame since his best damage-dealing weapon is Rokit Launcha and people just know better than to build tanks. Hide da Boyz is great and I can see how people get mad at invisible Nobz. But again, most races can easily afford to have two detector units in the field all the time.

Jockie
19-06-2012, 02:13 PM
Played a few games over the weekend, mining into the old back catalogue and finishing my most recent full-price purchase.

Finished Max Payne 3: I really disliked the first Act of the story, I just wasn't enjoying it at all, constant cutscenes and gunfights being too short to really get into the flow of the combat. although the story interludes continue throughout, eventually I really started to enjoy the shooting. I like how the battered, boozy Max plays less like the graceful badass of the older games and more like a clumsy wrecking ball (I particularly enjoy those not-so-perfect dive moves, where you smash into a wall and the animation adjusts accordingly).

I tried the Multiplayer, it seemed ok, but on my second game I encountered someone hacking (he was invincible and took no damage) and promptly gave up.

CS: GO Beta : It's been an age since I first tried the beta (Dust and classic casual were the only things in last time), and it's shaping up rather nicely. It's CS but with a few nice options for game types added in by default as well as plenty of new stuff and a decent graphical overhaul. I still hate Aztec though.

S2: Silent Storm Gold: bought the pack on GOG, and it's fun in a Jagged Alliance-lite sort of way (the AI ain't great, at least early on). Unfortunately S2 doesn't support widescreen resolutions, so it looks kind of crappy on my monitor. I might skip it over and get started on S3: Sentinels, which does have widescreen.

Dead Space 2 (Minor spoilery bits if you haven't played the first one): bought in a Steam Sale ages ago, I finally had a decent session with this. Sadly about 5 hours in and I kind of ran out of steam. The claustrophobia of the original is entirely missing, the story is the usual space/cult/evil bollocks, although the stuff with Isaac's wife is kind of creepy (although I have real issues with Isaac himself). The shooty bits are pretty good and the weapons have a gritty 'engineer tool' feel to them (mostly carried over from the original). Getting back to my Isaac issue, the silent protagonist in the original game, meant you could essentially project yourself onto him. I always assumed he was horribly scared but propelled onwards by a desperate (if doomed) search for his wife in the midst of a nightmare. Turns out he's just a space-badass mostly focused on his next objective, albeit with a few crazy nightmares.

League of Legends: lots of silly custom games with the RPS community people. Apparently I'm a jerk *weeps*

Anthile
19-06-2012, 02:51 PM
I swear the next time somebody says Jeyne Kassynder in this game, I'm gonna stab somebody in the face. I supposed Squenix promised them a bonus if they manage to smuggle that name into 85% of all sentences.

agentorange
19-06-2012, 02:53 PM
Driver: San Fran: Bought this on kind of a whim, during a deep steam sale. Only previous Driver game I had played was Driv3r; I'm sure I don't need to say more than that, but I was in need of some less intense gaming after spending the past weeks playing nothing but 4x and Shogun 2, and I love me some fast cars. And One thing Driver: SF does right is the cars, from the handling (Rockstar really needs to hire the people who worked on the driving physics in this game, for the next GTA), to the sounds of the engines; I had to switch from my headphones to my 5.1 speakers, because I was having so much fun just cracking the volume up and listening to the fucking reptile roar of the Dodge Challenger engine, and was afraid of going deaf. The shifting system (ability to teleport from car to car) was a brilliant way to bypass any on-foot segments, and it actually complements the driving system, adding something near a puzzle element, instead of feeling of a forced gimmick.

Nalano
19-06-2012, 02:54 PM
I swear the next time somebody says Jeyne Kassynder in this game, I'm gonna stab somebody in the face. I supposed Squenix promised them a bonus if they manage to smuggle that name into 85% of all sentences.

I think they're afraid that if they only use a pronoun, or indeed anything less than her full name, players might lose their already tenuous grasp on the plot. It's like trying to keep the attention of gnats.

Leopig
19-06-2012, 03:17 PM

According to Steam I have put 68 minutes into that game so far and it does indeed feel like they like to slip it in at every opportunity (and some in-opportunities too :p )

Leopig
19-06-2012, 03:20 PM
Well, currently have a few games on the go at same time. Ass Cred Revolution 2010, Sniper Elite v2 (did they really have to use the v? really?), Darksiders (very good so far, a bit like Viking, battle of Asgard, the PC needs more games like this), NFS Hot Pursuit, Torchlight, Battlestations Pacific and Silent Hunter 5 and a bit of Fifa in the evenings after the football.

Loving them all. Used to play just one game at a time to completion, this way I don't get tired of them.

Heliocentric
19-06-2012, 04:04 PM
Driver: San Francisco
It's really fun, shifting into the control of a bus and power sliding into your opponents in a street race. Win.

Nalano
19-06-2012, 04:06 PM
Driver: San Francisco
It's really fun, shifting into the control of a bus and power sliding into your opponents in a street race. Win.

I also got DSF in the Steam sale, and I was getting so mad at a mission where I had to not only win a race, but be both first and second by shifting between two drivers - because the second I'd shift out of one, s/he'd immediately let go of the gas pedal and drop back to last place - so I started taking over trucks and buses and cheesing my way out.

Cheap, but fuck it.

Drake Sigar
19-06-2012, 04:23 PM
Playing me some Dragon Age: Origins. I want to try a Dwarven castless female but my god the arms! They almost touch the ground. I think her father was a giant spider.

Heliocentric
19-06-2012, 04:26 PM
Playing me some Dragon Age: Origins. I want to try a Dwarven castless female but my god the arms! They almost touch the ground. I think her father was a giant spider.

Dragon age 3 spoilers.

TailSwallower
19-06-2012, 07:36 PM
Been playing some Dungeon Keeper 2. I love the style that the game has, but the gameplay is a little annoying - I guess I'd prefer a regular RTS where I can boss people around without having to possess anyone and without needing mana for a Call to Arms spell. That's probably blasphemy, I know.

I'm also at an annoying part in the campaign where you basically can't build where/what you want because of the way the level has been laid out. I'll keep at it, but I imagine I might enjoy myself more in a skirmish.

Casimir Effect
19-06-2012, 10:13 PM
Begin AI turn
-"Sir, emissary from the Mughal Empire!"
"Trade would benefit both our nations I think" - *trade agreement offered*
-Great Britain accepts

... 2 fucking seconds later...

"Infidel dogs! It is time to make you pay for your crimes!" - *Mughal Empire declares war*
-sigh, Great Britain accepts.

Never change Total War AI. Never change.

Althea
19-06-2012, 10:19 PM
I tried Fahrenheit, or as David Cage calls it in the tutorial, Farnhyt.

Um... yeah. Dafuq?

Outright Villainy
19-06-2012, 10:44 PM
Bought Bad company 2 ​on sale a week or so ago, been really enjoying that a lot. How do people feel it stacks up to 3? If 3 is of the same quality or better I definitely think it'd be my bag.

The JG Man
19-06-2012, 10:47 PM
BF3 plays closer to BC2 than it does the previous BF games, so if you enjoy BC2 and want more, bigger, better, I'd say you'd be going right.

Outright Villainy
19-06-2012, 11:02 PM
Excellent then, I'll get it when it's a bit cheaper so.

Spider Jerusalem
19-06-2012, 11:59 PM
Bought Bad company 2 ​on sale a week or so ago, been really enjoying that a lot. How do people feel it stacks up to 3? If 3 is of the same quality or better I definitely think it'd be my bag.
i felt like bf3 was a shittier, louder, shinier version of bc2. i uninstalled bf3 after a few weeks and went back to bc2, couldn't find any real improvement in the latter (and a whole lot of steps back).

Wheelz
20-06-2012, 12:15 AM
i felt like bf3 was a shittier, louder, shinier version of bc2. i uninstalled bf3 after a few weeks and went back to bc2, couldn't find any real improvement in the latter (and a whole lot of steps back).

I had a similar opinion of BF3, felt like Bad-Company 2 just did things better (the destruction and how it affected the games). Just went back to Battlefield 3 recently though, and I feel it's much more tolerable when playing on the larger Conquest servers. That said, the servers in my area are all pretty quiet, not sure if it's the same across the board?

also, the singleplayer is much, much better in Bad Company 2 than in BF3.

Heliocentric
20-06-2012, 12:35 AM
Been playing some Dungeon Keeper 2. I love the style that the game has, but the gameplay is a little annoying - I guess I'd prefer a regular RTS where I can boss people around without having to possess anyone and without needing mana for a Call to Arms spell. That's probably blasphemy, I know.

I'm also at an annoying part in the campaign where you basically can't build where/what you want because of the way the level has been laid out. I'll keep at it, but I imagine I might enjoy myself more in a skirmish.
The best way to attack is with possession and recruiting people, great if you are an imp while you do it.

Kodeen
20-06-2012, 01:26 AM
Since apparently the community never did pick up Jack Claw development, I played the prototype that came with the Frozenbyte HIB. It seemed like it would have been an interesting concept, but it definitely needed expansion. The prototype only lasts about 10 minutes and by the end I was already kind of bored with the mechanics of pick up car, launch it at cops (who were very good at dodging). Still, it had potential, pity that it never saw a release or even a further realization of what could be done with it.

sabrage
20-06-2012, 02:38 AM
I wish I had known about Majesty when I was deep into my Castle Fight (http://www.eeve.org/board/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1709) addiction. Fun little game, though I'm still trying to work out exactly what I'm supposed to be doing.

Hypernetic
20-06-2012, 03:47 AM
So what I'm not playing anymore is D3. I sold all my Demon Hunter's gear last week for $200 US and called it a day. The game just became extremely boring and I grew tired of the poor game design and overpriced gear on the AH. I still have 20 million gold and a decked out Barb if I ever want to play again, but meh. The patch that came out today made me feel better about this decision.

Leopig
20-06-2012, 05:36 AM
Darkspore, why have I not heard of this game until yesterday? It is truly magnificent.

jnx
20-06-2012, 05:52 AM
Darkspore, why have I not heard of this game until yesterday? It is truly magnificent.

No it isn't. And that's the reason too.

Leopig
20-06-2012, 06:20 AM
heh, maybe, just get that new game feeling off it. On an Arpg click style kick atm and I really dig some of the features regarding hero's and customisation. A nice change of pace from torchlight and Titan Quest.

Velko
20-06-2012, 06:33 AM
Begin AI turn
"Trade would benefit both our nations I think" - *trade agreement offered*
-Great Britain accepts

... 2 fucking seconds later...

"Infidel dogs! It is time to make you pay for your crimes!" - *Mughal Empire declares war*
-sigh, Great Britain accepts.

Never change Total War AI. Never change.

It's a shame, really. The games could be so much better if the strategic portion was more than an excuse to set up the next battle.

Nalano
20-06-2012, 06:53 AM
Civ 5 Gods & Kings. Playing as China. Huge Earth map. Ended up starting in... China. Attila as northern neighbor. It's 770AD, I have Gatling guns, ~30 cities in East Asia and a colony ranging from Mexico to Panama. Confucianism is the world's foremost religion, yet every 50 or so turns, like clockwork, Attila invades. Four turns later, he offers everything he owns to end the war. He's a bit... dumb.

First time it happened, I popped Zhukov as a general. That shoulda been a clue.

Speaking of crazy Russians, Catherine's currently in the midwestern US, and about to wipe Germany off the face of the earth. (Warsaw, sadly, is nowhere to be seen.) We're best buds.

Oshada
20-06-2012, 07:53 AM
What I seriously love about Civ is exactly that, various historical figures popping up in totally incongruous places.

By the way, I heard that the expansion added a natural wonder located in Sri Lanka, is that true?

Nalano
20-06-2012, 07:56 AM
What I seriously love about Civ is exactly that, various historical figures popping up in totally incongruous places.

By the way, I heard that the expansion added a natural wonder located in Sri Lanka, is that true?

Not that I can see. Just four hexes of grassland.

I just love the idea of Zhukov popping up from nowhere to wage a defensive campaign. I think nothing else says "you're going to lose a loooooot of men" than seeing Zhukov leading the opposing side.

Hypernetic
20-06-2012, 08:14 AM
I always wished the leaders of various factions in Civ changed over the ages. There are plenty of historic figures they could add in the mix, it always just seemed kind of stupid to me that George Washington was alive for 3000 years.

Althea
20-06-2012, 08:27 AM
I always wished the leaders of various factions in Civ changed over the ages. There are plenty of historic figures they could add in the mix, it always just seemed kind of stupid to me that George Washington was alive for 3000 years.
Nevermind the prolific use (at times) of stone weaponry in the ADs, right?

But no, they don't change for a good reason. They're supposed to be iconic or interesting leaders with personalities that fit the game - which is why, for example, Elizabeth has almost always (if not always) been the leader for England/Britain.

sabrage
20-06-2012, 08:33 AM
Majesty has quite the difficulty curve, doesn't it? Stupid cunt Daemonwoods, killin all my guards...

Hypernetic
20-06-2012, 08:38 AM
Nevermind the prolific use (at times) of stone weaponry in the ADs, right?

But no, they don't change for a good reason. They're supposed to be iconic or interesting leaders with personalities that fit the game - which is why, for example, Elizabeth has almost always (if not always) been the leader for England/Britain.

I understand that, but even if it changed every say 500 years or something there are plenty of good historic leaders to add into the mix. Like Winston Churchill for instance or Abraham Lincoln.

Althea
20-06-2012, 08:40 AM
I understand that, but even if it changed every say 500 years or something there are plenty of good historic leaders to add into the mix. Like Winston Churchill for instance or Abraham Lincoln.
With Civ V, that would send development costs through the roof, and they'd have to come up with unique benefits for each 'progressive' leader as the existing ones are based on that leader's life.

Nalano
20-06-2012, 08:47 AM

The thing's not a sim. It's a strategy game.

After all, you've already broken the simulation aspect because you're directing a civilization's progress for five thousand years. That's one prime directive for the entire written history of mankind. Which is why you can end up with fighter-bombers in 1100AD if you play your cards right: Real life history was a lot of two steps forward, one and a half steps back, and having one guy call all the shots tends to cut back on that.

And since you don't swap out with another player every half-century or so, why change the faces of the civs you encounter?

That said, it's kinda funny how the choices in Civ 5 seem to have reflected committee decisions like, "why don't we emphasize female leaders in history" and "let's not use the same guys we did last time, even if they're the most iconic of statesmen." Wu Zetain was an odd blip in history, but Qin Shi Huang was pretty damn important.

Althea
20-06-2012, 08:48 AM
That said, it's kinda funny how the choices in Civ 5 seem to have reflected committee decisions like, "why don't we emphasize female leaders in history" and "let's not use the same guys we did last time, even if they're the most iconic of statesmen." Wu Zetain was an odd blip in history, but Qin Shi Huang was pretty damn important.
With Catherine the Great, Isabella I and Elizabeth I. Really pushing the envelope with those choices, aren't they? :p

TechnoJellyfish
20-06-2012, 09:01 AM
I tried Fahrenheit, or as David Cage calls it in the tutorial, Farnhyt.

Um... yeah. Dafuq?

Yupp.

The opening sequence is utterly fantastic, though. Fahrenheit also features some really inventive mechanics (the use of splitscreen, the dialog system, playing antagonistic characters ...). Unfortunately, the writers went absolutely bonkers after the initial chapters and gameplay quickly evolves into a never-ending series of lengthy QTEs.

Well worth playing, if only to catch a glimpse of what it could have been.

Nalano
20-06-2012, 09:08 AM
With Catherine the Great, Isabella I and Elizabeth I. Really pushing the envelope with those choices, aren't they? :p

Before the DLC, it was Elizabeth, Catherine and Wu Zetian. Elizabeth was in Civ 4 (as was Victoria), Catherine's an arguable alternative to Peter, but Wu's a bit outta left field.

With the DLC, we get Isabella (who was in Civ 4), Theodora, Dido, Boudicca (your favorite) and Maria Theresa. Adding Dido's a lot like adding Romulus, Theodora's quite odd considering her husband, and considering the surfeit of European nations clogging the line-up, the rest seem to be picked largely because there was a female ruler or influential female character at some point.

Hypernetic
20-06-2012, 09:12 AM

After all, you've already broken the simulation aspect because you're directing a civilization's progress for five thousand years. That's one prime directive for the entire written history of mankind. Which is why you can end up with fighter-bombers in 1100AD if you play your cards right: Real life history was a lot of two steps forward, one and a half steps back, and having one guy call all the shots tends to cut back on that.

And since you don't swap out with another player every half-century or so, why change the faces of the civs you encounter?

I don't want it for the sake of realism, I just think it would be cool to have the leaders change every now and then (or even from game to game, so American isn't ALWAYS GW).

With Civ V, that would send development costs through the roof, and they'd have to come up with unique benefits for each 'progressive' leader as the existing ones are based on that leader's life.

I don't see why it would send development costs through the roof. Logistics aren't really relevant anyway since this is just wishful thinking on my part.

Althea
20-06-2012, 09:13 AM
Before the DLC, it was Elizabeth, Catherine and Wu Zetian. Elizabeth was in Civ 4 (as was Victoria), Catherine's an arguable alternative to Peter, but Wu's a bit outta left field.

With the DLC, we get Isabella (who was in Civ 4), Theodora, Dido, Boudicca (your favorite) and Maria Theresa. Adding Dido's a lot like adding Romulus, Theodora's quite odd considering her husband, and considering the surfeit of European nations clogging the line-up, the rest seem to be picked largely because there was a female ruler or influential female character at some point.
It's still something like... 1/4 of the leaders are female. Better than some games, but I kinda wish they were going the path of the later Civ V expansions where they had a couple of leaders for most civs.

And I forgot Isabella was DLC. Ugh. That was a frakking stupid decision by 2K.

I don't see why it would send development costs through the roof. Logistics aren't really relevant anyway since this is just wishful thinking on my part.
Conception, design, testing, implementation, balance and so on, not to mention getting the voice actors and creating the high-quality 3D leaders.

apricotsoup
20-06-2012, 09:21 AM
Majesty has quite the difficulty curve, doesn't it? Stupid cunt Daemonwoods, killin all my guards...

I found it wasn't so much a curve as a random spattering of difficulties. I'd complete a hard mission only to completely destroy the next one without any thought.

Hypernetic
20-06-2012, 09:24 AM
It's still something like... 1/4 of the leaders are female. Better than some games, but I kinda wish they were going the path of the later Civ V expansions where they had a couple of leaders for most civs.

Conception, design, testing, implementation, balance and so on, not to mention getting the voice actors and creating the high-quality 3D leaders.

I really don't think it would add that much to the development cost of the game to do that.

Althea
20-06-2012, 09:27 AM
I really don't think it would add that much to the development cost of the game to do that.
It would when you're multiplying the number of leaders by ~6.

Nalano
20-06-2012, 09:27 AM

Well, historically, there are very few examples of female leaders at all, which is why it's funny when you choose the only female ruler a nation ever had, no matter how instrumental she was in shaping the nation, to represent the entire course of history for said civilization. Sometimes it's a viable choice. Sometimes it's just plain tokenism.

And because Spain's somewhat less important than a lot of other nations in history.

Althea
20-06-2012, 09:30 AM
Well, historically, there are very few examples of female leaders at all, which is why it's funny when you choose the only female ruler a nation ever had, no matter how instrumental she was in shaping the nation, to represent the entire course of history for said civilization. Sometimes it's a viable choice. Sometimes it's just plain tokenism.

And because Spain's somewhat less important than a lot of other nations in history.
I know what you're saying and I do agree, but you can't really apply the "ruler a nation had" rule to a game that has Boudicca in it, who only ruled a tribe, I believe.

Nalano
20-06-2012, 09:38 AM
I know what you're saying and I do agree, but you can't really apply the "ruler a nation had" rule to a game that has Boudicca in it, who only ruled a tribe, I believe.

Hence,

the rest seem to be picked largely because there was a female ruler or influential female character at some point.

ie: either a minor female character of a strong civilization or a strong female character of a minor civilization. Either way, tokenism.

Althea
20-06-2012, 09:39 AM
I want Jeanne d'Arc in that case.

Nalano
20-06-2012, 09:41 AM
I want Jeanne d'Arc in that case.

She was in Civ 2, y'know. :P

Althea
20-06-2012, 09:42 AM
Yeah but that's not Civ V.

NathanH
20-06-2012, 09:42 AM
Back in the good old days, there was a male and female ruler of every civ.

Nalano
20-06-2012, 09:43 AM
Back in the good old days, there was a male and female ruler of every civ.

They did have to stretch a bit to find 'em. Goddesses, wives of rulers, and characters who lived more in fiction than they did as historical figures. :P

Althea
20-06-2012, 09:45 AM
They did have to stretch a bit to find 'em. :P
Dear GOG,
All sins will be forgiven for Civ 2 kthnxbai

apricotsoup
20-06-2012, 09:46 AM
I miss the days when civ rulers had era specific outfits.

But yeah, a choice of leaders per civ would be nice.

NathanH
20-06-2012, 09:47 AM
Civ 2 still works on all systems I've tried it on, so if you've got the CD you should be able to play it GOG-free. If you don't have CD I guess I can send you one if you want.

sonson
20-06-2012, 11:04 AM
It's a shame, really. The games could be so much better if the strategic portion was more than an excuse to set up the next battle.

It works better in Napoleon, possibly becuase the game is smaller (though still massive). There are some mods, which I have already waxed lyrical over, which can subsequently turn it into a very good simulation where each nation plays for itself rather than just against you.

sonson
20-06-2012, 11:07 AM

Keep at the campaign. Some of the best, and most creative levels in any RTS, especially later on. The Monk level in particular, *happy sigh*.

Serenegoose
20-06-2012, 12:57 PM

Those are some pretty terrible design decisions. Heinous. They play funny with history as a default. Why not be inclusive with it?

"Look, we know that your strategy involves the germans building the pyramids, stonehenge, the mausoleum of halicarnassus, going to thousand year war against Gandhi and Montezuma, and then colonising alpha centauri in 1600AD, but if you're going to do that you'll have to have a male player avatar." I mean, anything else would be unrealistic, right? ;)

Kodeen
20-06-2012, 01:00 PM
Yupp.

The opening sequence is utterly fantastic, though. Fahrenheit also features some really inventive mechanics (the use of splitscreen, the dialog system, playing antagonistic characters ...). Unfortunately, the writers went absolutely bonkers after the initial chapters and gameplay quickly evolves into a never-ending series of lengthy QTEs.

Well worth playing, if only to catch a glimpse of what it could have been.

It'll be on sale on GOG later today, and I'm curious so I think I'll be getting it.

On topic, I finished Braid yesterday. By finished, I mean that once I realized that all of the puzzle pieces were mandatory, I got fed up, quit, and watched the rest on Youtube. That last level was pretty clever.

The JG Man
20-06-2012, 01:35 PM
I started playing Serious Sam: Second Encounter (HD) last night, after starting up Penumbra: Overture, feeling about as enthusiastic about that as a...person not very enthused about something, closing it down, deleting the files and moving that to my Ignorable pile on Steam. Anyhow, Sam.

SS:SE proceeded to kick my ass on the very first level. I apparently got a secret weapon minutes in, but I have no idea how I activated it. It was also 1 of only 2 secrets I found on that level out of 15! Anyhow, the game actually looks really good, the gameplay is still fun and heck, I'm looking forward to playing more Sam.

Kodeen
20-06-2012, 01:38 PM
Dear GOG,
All sins will be forgiven for Civ 2 kthnxbai

You could always try FreeCiv. I can't speak to how far removed it is from actual Civ2, mind.

Labbes
20-06-2012, 05:41 PM
Superbrothers: Sword&Sorcery could be a good game if it wouldn't take ages for the character to get anywhere. As it is, it's a nice Tap'n'Hold with a neat soundtrack.

sk2k
20-06-2012, 06:06 PM
The Real Texas. It's a good game with a strange atmosphere. The combat is sometimes a bit clunky, but otherwise i have fun with it. It's still available for $7.95 instead of $14.95.

coldvvvave
20-06-2012, 06:20 PM
I spent an hour in DayZ trying to locate a friend only to find that we are invsible to each other.

;_;

Labbes
20-06-2012, 06:24 PM
Desyncing happens a lot, just abort->Disconnect->Disconnect and load the mission up again. Should work then.

TailSwallower
20-06-2012, 07:08 PM
@Helio - Yeah, I know that's the way you're supposed to do it, I just find it tedious. Would much prefer being able to just boss them around instead of having to posses anyone.

Keep at the campaign. Some of the best, and most creative levels in any RTS, especially later on. The Monk level in particular, *happy sigh*.

Thanks, I'll stick with it then.

cronos1013
20-06-2012, 07:14 PM
I just got notified that I made it into the Alpha for The Repopulation, but other than that, i've been plying Eve Online, and Firefall.

Giaddon
20-06-2012, 07:22 PM
I'm shelving Endless Space for now as I wait for the final release version. Really promising beta!

Now hungry for space war, I've switched to Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion. It's pretty great.

vinraith
20-06-2012, 07:32 PM
I'm shelving Endless Space for now as I wait for the final release version. Really promising beta!

Now hungry for space war, I've switched to Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion. It's pretty great.

How does Rebellion compare to Trinity, in your opinion? Have they been updating it? I'd read there were a lot of balance problems and some other serious issues in the release version.

OT: Still playing Hegemony: Gold, trying to figure out how to defend all this frontier and still have anything left with which to execute an offense. Conquering ancient Greece is hard!

Also playing a bit of Sins: Trinity in MP trying to come to grips with what it is, and look past what I thought it was going to be all those years ago. I'm having some small success, there's a fun RTS in here if you can look past the lack of 4X features.

alms
20-06-2012, 08:04 PM
Superbrothers: Sword&Sorcery could be a good game if it wouldn't take ages for the character to get anywhere. As it is, it's a nice Tap'n'Hold with a neat soundtrack.

If you double click on an active object (e.g. the raising sparkles that mark an 'exit' to another screen) the character moves much faster.

PS: finished LA Noire (not 100%), it's an overambitious mixed bag, yet I enjoyed most of it. Began Containment: The Zombie Puzzler, 45 mins in the core game leaves me cold despite some cutesy presentation ideas.

Heliocentric
20-06-2012, 08:13 PM
Some RPS community trading got me Need for Speed Shift 2. Its Bloody pretty, I feel wrong playing it with a 360 pad, I need a force feedback wheel.

vinraith
20-06-2012, 09:07 PM
Some RPS community trading got me Need for Speed Shift 2. Its Bloody pretty, I feel wrong playing it with a 360 pad, I need a force feedback wheel.

I know what you mean. At the same time it seems silly to buy a $200 peripheral for a $5 game.

Althea
20-06-2012, 09:12 PM
You could always try FreeCiv. I can't speak to how far removed it is from actual Civ2, mind.

Now I'm playing Freeciv as the French with Jeanne d'Arc as leader.

Heliocentric
20-06-2012, 09:34 PM
I know what you mean. At the same time it seems silly to buy a $200 peripheral for a $5 game.

I use a (at the time) 500 PC to play free games, so why not? I'd used it to drive jeeps in battlefield 2 too :D

NathanH
20-06-2012, 10:32 PM
Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013!

The decks in this game would eat the 2012 ones for breakfast.

Althea
20-06-2012, 10:33 PM

Does this mean "Go on, Althea... you know you want to spend too much on the deluxe edition"?

Rauten
20-06-2012, 10:47 PM
I'd personally take it as "you know the gameplay is gonna be 95% the same as 2012, so if anything, buy while on sale".

NathanH
20-06-2012, 10:54 PM
Does this mean "Go on, Althea... you know you want to spend too much on the deluxe edition"?

I looked at the special edition and thought "looks like spending an extra €10 for nothing at all".

Giaddon
20-06-2012, 10:55 PM
Man the deluxe edition is stupid. Pointless foil "upgrades" and whatnot. If you want to get Duels 2013, get the regular.

Ravelle
20-06-2012, 11:14 PM

Does this one allow me to make my own deck or are we still restricted by using pre-made decks?

Rauten
20-06-2012, 11:33 PM
Still restricted. You unlock cards, same as always, and the game still chooses how many mana cards your deck will have.
I doubt they'll ever allow proper custom deck construction in these games, I mean, wouldn't that pretty much kill MtGOnline?

vinraith
20-06-2012, 11:48 PM
Does this one allow me to make my own deck or are we still restricted by using pre-made decks?

If they let you make your own deck, how would they continue to sell you the same game year after year?

Ravelle
20-06-2012, 11:50 PM
Still restricted. You unlock cards, same as always, and the game still chooses how many mana cards your deck will have.
I doubt they'll ever allow proper custom deck construction in these games, I mean, wouldn't that pretty much kill MtGOnline?

I've tried that but that game is a bit user-unfriendly and unappealing, graphicwise at least. I would play it to death if it had the looks and mechanics of the planewalker games.

@vinraith They still keep releasing Madden and FIFA games do they not? That's pretty much the same games every year yet suprisingly successful.

Spider Jerusalem
21-06-2012, 12:07 AM
oh no. the foil cards blind the eyes.

Spider Jerusalem
21-06-2012, 12:08 AM
anyways, time to climb to the top of the 2v2 ladder again.

i have an unhealthy love for dotp.

Nalano
21-06-2012, 12:09 AM
@vinraith They still keep releasing Madden and FIFA games do they not? That's pretty much the same games every year yet suprisingly successful.

Real life rosters change yearly.

vinraith
21-06-2012, 12:11 AM

Who said it wasn't successful? On the contrary, releasing basically the same game with some tweaks (new rosters of the sports games, new decks for Magic, whatever) lets you resell something you've already paid to develop and get people to pay for it again. That's just good business, right there.

Sketch
21-06-2012, 12:12 AM
FIFA usually brings a surprisingly decent amount of new stuff to the table each year.

Cosm
21-06-2012, 12:17 AM
If they let you make your own deck, how would they continue to sell you the same game year after year?

They could do it like they do the actual card game, with expansion packs that add new/more powerful cards. One of the reasons I just play casually. Can't afford to keep upgrading to stay competitive.

Spider Jerusalem
21-06-2012, 12:17 AM
well, one is :10bux: and the others are :60bux:.

vinraith
21-06-2012, 12:31 AM
They could do it like they do the actual card game, with expansion packs that add new/more powerful cards. One of the reasons I just play casually. Can't afford to keep upgrading to stay competitive.

Yeah, that's what made me stop playing better than a decade ago.

well, one is :10bux: and the others are :60bux:.

I'll admit that if you're going to do an annual update game, only charging $10 for it is a damn site more respectable than the EA Sports model.

Ravelle
21-06-2012, 01:00 AM
Yeah, that's what made me stop playing better than a decade ago.

I'll admit that if you're going to do an annual update game, only charging $10 for it is a damn site more respectable than the EA Sports model.

Depends, I got all my fifa games for 15 bucks up to now.

Rauten
21-06-2012, 01:38 AM
It's the update people want, the change the thrill of new roster, new play, the consumers/gamers are fans for nothing if they wont love the new release every year

Shoo, shoo, away with you, you EA shrill.

alms
21-06-2012, 02:00 AM
I use a (at the time) 500 PC to play free games, so why not?

For one, it takes up a lot of space :P

SirKicksalot
21-06-2012, 03:25 AM
The Syndicate FPS allows me to indulge in my worst sociopathic tendencies. I execute each and every civilian and I make death painful to every enemy. This is done with a small but insanely satisfying arsenal of weapons and powers. Hopefully when the story goes full retard and makes me fight the powah I'll still be able to kill innocents. I want to be a bad guy. I want to fight for my corporation and leave no witnesses alive. Does anyone actually enjoy these stories where you play as the bad guy and it's awesome but then you suddenly have a change of heart?

I'm playing on easy because I heard the boss fights are awful. It just makes the power trip better. I thought the bloom and interface would annoy me but that's not the case. In fact I think the interface is brilliant. The bloom is excessive sometimes but overall the art design (and sound) are stellar.

agentorange
21-06-2012, 05:36 AM
The Syndicate FPS allows me to indulge in my worst sociopathic tendencies. I execute each and every civilian and I make death painful to every enemy. This is done with a small but insanely satisfying arsenal of weapons and powers. Hopefully when the story goes full retard and makes me fight the powah I'll still be able to kill innocents. I want to be a bad guy. I want to fight for my corporation and leave no witnesses alive. Does anyone actually enjoy these stories where you play as the bad guy and it's awesome but then you suddenly have a change of heart?

I'm one of those people who wished you could stick with UNATCO in Deus Ex, and the reason I loved Kane & Lynch is because you the two main characters are unapologetically on the wrong of side of the law; tends to make for a more interesting story when the characters have their own motivations, and don't just switch sides because some person tells them to in a 30 second cut-scene. I may pick up Syndicate if it goes on sale deep enough, some videos of the civilian slaughtering did make me think it could make for an entertaining weekend.

NathanH
21-06-2012, 07:56 AM
I think the criticism of Duels of the Planeswalkers is unfair. There are already avenues open for players who want to play with fully customizable decks. Duels gives you something else: games between decks where you know roughly what your opponent has but not exactly. In such a format you don't want to be playing with or against the same decks for ever and ever, hence a new collection of decks is perfectly reasonable. There is also a new gameplay mode each time. It's well worth the money.

Heliocentric
21-06-2012, 07:57 AM
Deus Ex forcing you to join NSF was a massive betrayal. You are given no substantial reason to do it beyond general feeling of police statism.

Oh, that and them turning bob page into a whiney villain at the end and baring you from siding with him.

Althea
21-06-2012, 09:29 AM
I looked at the special edition and thought "looks like spending an extra 10 for nothing at all".
Soundtrack, comic. But looking at the price, I might hold off on 2013 until... um.. a sale - I've not even finished 2012.

NathanH
21-06-2012, 09:34 AM
Deus Ex forcing you to join NSF was a massive betrayal. You are given no substantial reason to do it beyond general feeling of police statism.

It's interesting really. Joining the terrorists was obviously to me the correct course of action, but I only knew it was the correct course of action because of cutscenes that JC didn't see, and Video Game Knowledge.

amusingthebrood
21-06-2012, 09:49 AM
I am currently playing Civ V. I finally picked it up in the recent free weekend/discount. I have a long history in Civs II to IV and am now really enjoying V. I was planning on waiting a while to get Gods and Kings but all of the positive feedback has prompted me to order it.

I am also playing Sanctum again. The first couple of times I tried it didn’t click with me at all and I didn’t even finish a level, but now I am falling for it. I think it may replace Defence Grid as my favourite tower defence game. I may even pick up the DLC in the Steam summer sale.

Finally, I am spending more time with BIT.TRIP BEAT. I love the game and design so much, but it is crazy silly hard. However, as someone who gets frustrated easily, so far I am surprised by just how relaxed I am with failing, and failing often.

Casimir Effect
21-06-2012, 10:18 AM
Does anyone actually enjoy these stories where you play as the bad guy and it's awesome but then you suddenly have a change of heart?
Only the d-grade writers who still think it constitutes a Major Plot Twist which no one will see coming, turning the players whole world upside down and inside out 'n shit.
Well, them and kids who fight the power by using the edgy abbreviation "M$".

NathanH
21-06-2012, 10:29 AM
I quite like it when baddies become goodies, as long as it is well-motivated and not "omg, turns out I was a baddie all along, I'd better stop being a baddie".

FunnyB
21-06-2012, 11:42 AM
I quite like it when baddies become goodies, as long as it is well-motivated and not "omg, turns out I was a baddie all along, I'd better stop being a baddie".

I often find that it at least is more interesting when someone who was a major villain switches sides to the "good" side and joins you. For example, Magus in Chrono Trigger (not a PC game I know). It was quite cool how he was thought to be the major villain in the game, and ended up being just misunderstood.

fiddlesticks
21-06-2012, 12:06 PM
Originally there existed an option (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cEg5Xo7VFU) to stay with Unatco, but it was cut during development for some reason. Probably because they couldn't find a good way to connect the two paths or because it would have been too much additional work.

Flint
21-06-2012, 12:39 PM
Originally there existed an option (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cEg5Xo7VFU) to stay with Unatco, but it was cut during development for some reason. Probably because they couldn't find a good way to connect the two paths or because it would have been too much additional work.
The latter. They had budget/deadline issues throughout development so they scrapped some planned bits of the game to save money/time.

Regarding Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013, I take it from the comments earlier on that it doesn't really bring anything new to the table outside new decks and ability to choose which mana cards to tap? Haven't even unlocked everything in 2012 yet but getting 2013 is tempting, just somewhat doubt there's actually any point if they're more or less identical.

NathanH
21-06-2012, 12:50 PM
The latter. They had budget/deadline issues throughout development so they scrapped some planned bits of the game to save money/time.

Regarding Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013, I take it from the comments earlier on that it doesn't really bring anything new to the table outside new decks and ability to choose which mana cards to tap? Haven't even unlocked everything in 2012 yet but getting 2013 is tempting, just somewhat doubt there's actually any point if they're more or less identical.

There is also Planechase mode, which is like 4 player free-for-all but with added mental. The AI seems to deal with this mode rather well, so hopefully that has some long-term appeal for me. The main thing that prompted me to buy it were the decks, they seem much more interesting, there are more available cards I think, and not many of the cards are worthless filler like in 2012 so I'd expect to see quite varied decks in multiplayer. Also, GOBLIN DECK.

But I played over 200 hours of 2012, so it wasn't really in any doubt that I'd get this.

fiddlesticks
21-06-2012, 04:06 PM
I'm playing Binding of Isaac again, now that the newest update gave us the final final final level (which may or may not be the final one). I have to say, it's amazing how every patch Ed releases manages to break as much as it fixes.

Lukasz
21-06-2012, 04:09 PM
Stalker. For fourth time...
and this time i want to beat it. last time a bugged quest killed my interest in the game and i haven't touched it in four years. (time passes so quickly goddamnit)

bonkers
21-06-2012, 04:46 PM
Wanted to beat "Orcs must Die" over the last weeks but three days ago I started steam and my OmD savegames were just gone and nowhere to be found. As I was already 3/4 through the game I stopped it. Maybe I watch a Lets Play or something on the last levels... I was waiting for part 2 but now I am unlikely to get it. That issue kinda killed the fun for me.

Started playing AC1 instead, which I bough at GoG some time ago. I quiet enjoy it so far. It's getting repetetive but at least you do not have to do all the stuff and can go almost straight for the kill. The game surely has some issues but well, I am having more funb with it then with many more recent games. And that's a good thing as many recent games greatly disappointed me.

Althea
21-06-2012, 05:19 PM
Decided to mess around on Saints Row the Third this afternoon and finish off the activities. The game crashed during my final one, so I'll do that shortly.

But yeah... The activities do kinda suck, especially towards Hard difficulty. It's not so much they become truly hard, more they follow the Dragon Age 2 school of thought - +difficulty = +more enemies. Not better AI, not lower ammo, but MORE enemies. This gets particularly frustrating during the Escort and Snatch missions as the roads often become impassable or the frustrating aspects (e.g. the 'footage' bar during some Escort missions goes up because you're being trailed by, like, 7 TV vans) are stacked against your favour with no real room for you to counter it. There's also a Mayhem/Rampage (I forget) one on an island that changes at one point during the game, and it becomes ridiculously hard if you try it after that point. I only managed it 'cos I blew down every fence I saw with the rocket launcher.

They're okay the first few times, sure, but after that you just get fed up with them. It's just that they're so unbalanced and poorly thought out that you end up getting frustrated with the game.

Gonna work on doing the Assassinations, Vehicle Thefts & Challenges, too.

SirKicksalot
21-06-2012, 05:43 PM
Started playing AC1 instead, which I bough at GoG some time ago. I quiet enjoy it so far. It's getting repetetive but at least you do not have to do all the stuff and can go almost straight for the kill. The game surely has some issues but well, I am having more funb with it then with many more recent games. And that's a good thing as many recent games greatly disappointed me.

I did the side missions because I enjoyed the lore (that was before aliens, maaaan). What's great about AC1 is that its villains (well, most of them) are actually reasonable people. You can see how their perspective makes sense. They're not the mustache-twirling caricatures of the later games.

The game has the best cities and atmosphere in the series. If there was no von Daniken bullshit I could pretend it's a Kingdom of Heaven game.
I like von Daniken but not in my Assassin's Creed.

Serenegoose
21-06-2012, 05:52 PM
Wanted to beat "Orcs versus Humans" over the last weeks but three days ago I started steam and my OVH savegames were just gone and nowhere to be found. As I was already 3/4 through the game I stopped it. Maybe I watch a Lets Play or something on the last levels... I was waiting for part 2 but now I am unlikely to get it. That issue kinda killed the fun for me.

Out of curiosity, are you referring to Orcs Must Die or have you been playing through Warcraft 1 recently?

Cosm
21-06-2012, 06:25 PM
Stalker. For fourth time...
and this time i want to beat it. last time a bugged quest killed my interest in the game and i haven't touched it in four years. (time passes so quickly goddamnit)

I want to get into that game so bad, because I know I would love it, but every time I get some terrible bug or glitch that stops me. I recently reinstalled it, patched everything up, downloaded the STALKER: Complete mod, and it crashes every time I try to open the first door. :|

apricotsoup
21-06-2012, 06:27 PM
Decided to mess around on Saints Row the Third this afternoon and finish off the activities. The game crashed during my final one, so I'll do that shortly.

But yeah... The activities do kinda suck, especially towards Hard difficulty. It's not so much they become truly hard, more they follow the Dragon Age 2 school of thought - +difficulty = +more enemies. Not better AI, not lower ammo, but MORE enemies. This gets particularly frustrating during the Escort and Snatch missions as the roads often become impassable or the frustrating aspects (e.g. the 'footage' bar during some Escort missions goes up because you're being trailed by, like, 7 TV vans) are stacked against your favour with no real room for you to counter it. There's also a Mayhem/Rampage (I forget) one on an island that changes at one point during the game, and it becomes ridiculously hard if you try it after that point. I only managed it 'cos I blew down every fence I saw with the rocket launcher.

They're okay the first few times, sure, but after that you just get fed up with them. It's just that they're so unbalanced and poorly thought out that you end up getting frustrated with the game.

Gonna work on doing the Assassinations, Vehicle Thefts & Challenges, too.

Yup, I didn't bother with more than a handful of assassinations and vehicle thefts but I did the activities and I agree.

They could have done with cutting down the existing activities to 2 of each and adding some more variety. I can't believe it would have been so hard to add in a couple of plane fly though targets in the skyscrapers, mexican wrestling matches and others that wouldn't necessarily require new assets or mechanics. Repetitiveness is the bane of these games.

Nalano
21-06-2012, 06:32 PM
This gets particularly frustrating during the Escort and Snatch missions as the roads often become impassable or the frustrating aspects (e.g. the 'footage' bar during some Escort missions goes up because you're being trailed by, like, 7 TV vans) are stacked against your favour with no real room for you to counter it. There's also a Mayhem/Rampage (I forget) one on an island that changes at one point during the game, and it becomes ridiculously hard if you try it after that point. I only managed it 'cos I blew down every fence I saw with the rocket launcher.

Spawn your own upgraded car and drive it to the Trafficking and Snatch missions. That helps a lot. In both missions, don't be afraid to swap cars - in late Trafficking missions, you'll likely be doing that for every stop.

In Trafficking, get out of the car so they stop shooting at it whenever you wait for Zimos or Pierce. Fully-upgraded D4TH Blossoms are good for getting rid of brutes quickly.

In Escort, TV vans can't take corners, but you can.

In Mayhem, spawn a tank before taking the mission. It makes the mission far easier. Focus on fences, newspaper boxes, phone booths and trash bins. It's all about the number of things you hit, not the worth of those things.

TailSwallower
21-06-2012, 07:01 PM
Well, I finally came around concerning Possession in Dungeon Keeper II after managing to kite a couple of giants that 10+ minions and a Call to Arms banner weren't able to take care of. Would still rather not have to do it, but it was entertaining.

Althea
21-06-2012, 07:55 PM
Spawn your own upgraded car and drive it to the Trafficking and Snatch missions. That helps a lot. In both missions, don't be afraid to swap cars - in late Trafficking missions, you'll likely be doing that for every stop.

In Trafficking, get out of the car so they stop shooting at it whenever you wait for Zimos or Pierce. Fully-upgraded D4TH Blossoms are good for getting rid of brutes quickly.

In Escort, TV vans can't take corners, but you can.

In Mayhem, spawn a tank before taking the mission. It makes the mission far easier. Focus on fences, newspaper boxes, phone booths and trash bins. It's all about the number of things you hit, not the worth of those things.
Those are some good tips, and if I ever go through it all again I'll bear them in mind.

That said... I just didn't find the activities that great in general. I've finished all of them now and the last few weren't worth the time nor effort I put into them.

So, with 98% completion (I think it's the thefts/assassinations for that last 2%), I'm going to move on 'properly' from Saints Row the Third. Like GTA IV, I might come back to it for the odd hour here and there, but... no, I think I've largely exhausted it.

Nalano
21-06-2012, 08:11 PM
Those are some good tips, and if I ever go through it all again I'll bear them in mind.

That said... I just didn't find the activities that great in general. I've finished all of them now and the last few weren't worth the time nor effort I put into them.

So, with 98% completion (I think it's the thefts/assassinations for that last 2%), I'm going to move on 'properly' from Saints Row the Third. Like GTA IV, I might come back to it for the odd hour here and there, but... no, I think I've largely exhausted it.

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/540679055973798208/B4047621E4B4768B6D9B7724FDDD152EC4A92383/

That's the third 100% I got. Yeah, I'm not gonna play it in earnest any longer (like SimCity or Alpha Centauri), but I suspect that - like Company of Heroes - I'll be dipping in for half-hour sessions for a long while yet.

Althea
21-06-2012, 08:13 PM
It's a shame, really, because SR3 really does have its good moments but at times it seems like a kid who's learned a new joke and insists on repeating it every two seconds.

Nalano
21-06-2012, 08:14 PM
It's a shame, really, because SR3 really does have its good moments but at times it seems like a kid who's learned a new joke and insists on repeating it every two seconds.

I have 134 hours in the game. "Shame" doesn't enter into it. If anything, I should feel shame for the masturbatory 158 hours I spent in Skyrim.

Althea
21-06-2012, 08:17 PM
I have 134 hours in the game. "Shame" doesn't enter into it. If anything, I should feel shame for the masturbatory 158 hours I spent in Skyrim.
No, I don't mean I feel shameful for playing it or anything, what I mean is it's a bit crap that SR3 doesn't live up to its potential. It has these great story missions, it has some really cool activities, but it never quite gets it right.

DaftPunk
21-06-2012, 09:05 PM
I want to get into that game so bad, because I know I would love it, but every time I get some terrible bug or glitch that stops me. I recently reinstalled it, patched everything up, downloaded the STALKER: Complete mod, and it crashes every time I try to open the first door. :|

Then its problem on your side,i had problems at release,i'll admit that but after so many patches game plays without crashes and any flaws.

Lukasz
21-06-2012, 09:16 PM
So far i haven't encountered any bugs.

Game is hard tough. so so hard. I use the magic power of quick save and load to beat missions as one wrong move and i got head shot, or run into radiation or anomaly. Just did the steal documents from military quest and it took me lots of retries. I suck so much that I had to sneak, wait in the corner, save, lean from my hideout, try to kill a guy before i get shot it the face and if succeeded save. Game does require very methodical approach to fire fights. no gun blazing.

also not sure whether i should buy a new gun with the scope from barkeep.
Its 16K and 300 ammo is another 7K (i have 42K) but i hate to spend that money and then find the gun in my next mission (don't remember anymore whether i needed the gun or not or how much trouble i had with getting cash)

Anthile
21-06-2012, 09:17 PM
So, just finished Dungeon Siege 3 plus the DLC. It was actually pretty good. It's never spectacularly good but it does just about everything right. The boss fights are fun too, a rare accomplishment.

bonkers
21-06-2012, 09:32 PM
Out of curiosity, are you referring to Orcs Must Die or have you been playing through Warcraft 1 recently?
Sorry. Yeah I totally confused the two. I was refering to Orcs Must Die.
But replaying WC1 is actually a great idea. Thanks! :)

Drake Sigar
21-06-2012, 09:33 PM

How do you get 134 hours of content out of a game which doesn't have 134 hours of content? It makes sense on Skyrim - you probably didn't even do half of everything you could do. I only managed the main quests, the guild quests, and a couple of the more crazy sidequests.

Rauten
21-06-2012, 09:33 PM
Dont buddy! it's the reality :)

Playing Madden 2012 and other EA Sports.

Wasikminop and wayimimo, both registered this very month, one defending yearly asshat releases by EA, the other saying he's playing Madden 2012 and other EA sports games.

Shrills, bots or trolls? Perhaps I should create a poll to gather people's opinions.

Nalano
21-06-2012, 09:42 PM
How do you get 134 hours of content out of a game which doesn't have 134 hours of content? It makes sense on Skyrim - you probably didn't even do half of everything you could do. I only managed the main quests, the guild quests, and a couple of the more crazy sidequests.

Because I like playing SR3 and played it to 100% three times.

Because I don't like Skyrim and found it boring, having spent most of it hiking from point a to point b and grinding blacksmithing and enchanting.

Lukasz
21-06-2012, 09:44 PM
Because I don't like Skyrim and found it boring, having spent most of it hiking from point a to point b and grinding blacksmithing and enchanting.
how can you put 150 hours into a game and say you don't like it and find it boring.

the hell?

Althea
21-06-2012, 09:49 PM
how can you put 150 hours into a game and say you don't like it and find it boring.

the hell?
It's easy. I've put 150+ hours into Dragon Age Origins and the majority of it was dull, lifeless and boring.

Nalano

the hell?

The sheer amount of time it takes to do anything in the game. The hope that it'll become better. The mental gymnastics involved in justifying having paid full freight. Time spent theorycrafting while tabbed out.

NathanH

the hell?

Although 150 hours is rather excessive, I think it took me about 35 hours to realize that I wasn't just getting used to the changes from Oblivion, I just genuinely didn't like Skyrim as much.

Drake Sigar
21-06-2012, 09:50 PM
Because I like playing SR3 and played it to 100% three times.

Take. It. Back.

Nalano
21-06-2012, 09:53 PM
Take. It. Back.

Make me.

10char

Drake Sigar
21-06-2012, 09:58 PM
Make me.

10char

No way! You're the one who said you didn't enjoy it, so you should be the one to take it back to the shops and get a refund. I'm not your damned gofer.

SR3 sucks.

Lukasz
21-06-2012, 10:00 PM
Althea and Nalano. you guys are crazy. Five hours is enough to stop playing the game if it is dull. 20 hours would be max for skyrim, pretending it is good hoping it will actually be good, just checking all the places. 150 hours tough? DAO or Skyrim?

i put 120 hours into Terraria over the course of one year (since june last year) with months between playthroughs. and i loved it. it got boring from time to time but i enjoyed the overall experience. I cannot phantom why one would waste a week of ones life on a dull, not likeable game. There are so many other great games out there, some cost less than 10 bucks yet to play a game for almost a whole week while not liking it?

*so crazy*

so stalker for me like i mentioned before and i want to try to run TW2 on my AMD 3200 4850 2GB ram computer. Mass Effect 2 runs smoothly so i wonder how it goes.

first i need to finish Witcher 1 tough as i lost my old save so i need a new one for TW2.

Nalano
21-06-2012, 10:05 PM
Althea and Nalano. you guys are crazy.

If you want the true reason I'm so inoculated against tedium, I have three words for you:

World of Warcraft.

If I had to rely on that game for entertainment, I'd have quit it far sooner than I did. But the actual gameplay was so simple that I could watch TV or troll forums or do work and still keep it running. Between WoW and the half dozen MMOs (http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e342/jonmphy/Lanos/) I played after WoW, I can sit through anything.

In a way, I'd be the perfect games reviewer.

Althea
21-06-2012, 10:11 PM
Althea and Nalano. you guys are crazy. Five hours is enough to stop playing the game if it is dull. 20 hours would be max for skyrim, pretending it is good hoping it will actually be good, just checking all the places. 150 hours tough? DAO or Skyrim?

i put 120 hours into Terraria over the course of one year (since june last year) with months between playthroughs. and i loved it. it got boring from time to time but i enjoyed the overall experience. I cannot phantom why one would waste a week of ones life on a dull, not likeable game. There are so many other great games out there, some cost less than 10 bucks yet to play a game for almost a whole week while not liking it?
Um... Yeah, I'm crazy, but not for putting so many hours into largely mediocre games. You're easily talking 400 hours if you add up my time in GTA IV, Skyrim and Dragon Age: Origins alone. Why do I put so much time in? Well, partially it's just sheer bloody mindedness - wanting to get to the end. Other times it's trying things out that could be fun, e.g. just dicking around in IV, or trying something out that you read about online, e.g. a quest in Skyrim or something.

I don't know how those hours add up, but those games are ones you can start and lose yourself in for hours at a time.

Lukasz
21-06-2012, 10:13 PM
I don't know how those hours add up, but those games are ones you can start and lose yourself in for hours at a time.
I can understand that
but you can't say it is dull and boring if you lose yourself. cause that means you are enjoying yourself doesn't it.

Nalano
21-06-2012, 10:17 PM
I can understand that
but you can't say it is dull and boring if you lose yourself. cause that means you are enjoying yourself doesn't it.

While I said Skyrim was dull and boring (thus touching off this debate) I didn't say that I lost myself in it. What I said was a lot of that time wasn't spent in a furious clicking-fest like in BF3 or SR3 but lazily one-handing it while reading forums such as this.

Althea
21-06-2012, 10:25 PM
I can understand that
No, it doesn't mean I was enjoying myself at all. It means I found the experience to be take me in enough to cause me to lose track of time, but it does not mean I was enjoying myself.

Heliocentric
21-06-2012, 10:31 PM
I can lose days to civ4,puzzle quest, rts skirmishing, sim city (to be fair I grew apart from this) , but I wouldn't say I was enjoying it. Project Reality and Company of Heroes multiplayer are exhausting games and although I can't stand to play for too long, I love them.

roryok
21-06-2012, 10:35 PM
I've been playing the Game Mashup Game in the Game Mashup Game thread I started. Join me!

Nalano
21-06-2012, 10:59 PM
No way! You're the one who said you didn't enjoy it, so you should be the one to take it back to the shops and get a refund. I'm not your damned gofer.

Why? I put the time into it. And I haven't bought a game in a shop in half a decade.

Also, your face sucks!

Drake Sigar
21-06-2012, 11:51 PM
Saint's Row 3 is like my hypothetical son waving his arms about to catch my attention right before performing a lackluster cartwheel. Despite the enthusiasm behind it, I remain thoroughly unimpressed.

Nalano
21-06-2012, 11:58 PM
I remain thoroughly unimpressed.

Much like me and your face.

Althea
22-06-2012, 12:00 AM
Insert slanderous comments about your sexualities and your interests in your respective mothers here, as well as my opinions about her.

Nalano
22-06-2012, 12:07 AM
Insert slanderous comments about your sexualities and your interests in your respective mothers here, as well as my opinions about her.

Forum trolling: The Game (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forumwarz).

sabrage
22-06-2012, 12:19 AM
Althea and Nalano. you guys are crazy. Five hours is enough to stop playing the game if it is dull.
Exactly, I played 4 hours on 11/11/11 and I haven't gone back.

Drake Sigar
22-06-2012, 12:21 AM
Saint's Row 3 is Duck Hunt with hookers. How could they reduce a Tron level to a shooting gallery. How?!

Althea
22-06-2012, 12:22 AM
Exactly, I played 4 hours on 11/11/11 and I haven't gone back.
Good for you.

Kodeen
22-06-2012, 12:32 AM
Saint's Row 3 is Duck Hunt with hookers.

You mean there's a version of Duck Hunt where you get to shoot the dog?

I might have to get this game after all.

sabrage
22-06-2012, 12:55 AM
Good for you.
http://margueriteandthemusique.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/excuse_me.jpegwordsgohere

MD!
22-06-2012, 01:31 AM
Saint's Row 3 is Duck Hunt with hookers. How could they reduce a Tron level to a shooting gallery. How?!

I think I know where you're coming from. I really enjoyed SR3, but it fills a certain niche in my tastes that might not exist for you. Mechanically it is mediocre, way too simplified to be interesting. To me it was wonderful gaming junk-food, unchallenging and gleefully ridiculous. Dumb and offensive, but in such a knowingly over-the-top way that it only made me genuinely uncomfortable once or twice. If you're not getting anything from it at this point, I wouldn't bother slogging on.

Serenegoose
22-06-2012, 02:40 AM
barbarians are a lot more aggressive now, in the gods and kings expansion for civ v. I mean I don't want anybody to get the idea that I'm any good at the game (I'm terrible) but I've never -lost- militararily before (to the aztecs) because I couldn't keep my barbarian neighbours under control.

Mohorovicic
22-06-2012, 08:06 AM
Why? I put the time into it.

Running a game then alt-tabbing and doing something completely different while Steam ticks you hours is not "putting time into it". It's pointless and stupid.

Oshada
22-06-2012, 08:46 AM
Back when I was a darnedbuttpiratez I played Dragon Age Origins for about 200 hours - a potent mix of school holidays and unemployment. I've since bought the Ultimate Edition (without waiting for a sale!) so I feel a bit better about it.

Malawi Frontier Guard
22-06-2012, 08:50 AM
What are you playing at the moment for 150 hours without enjoyment?

apricotsoup
22-06-2012, 09:29 AM
Quantum Conundrum.

I'm really enjoying it so far (about 2 hours in), a couple of jumping puzzles but nothing really irritating yet. Most of the puzzles are really well crafted and I quite enjoy the constant babbling in my ears.

The lack of graphical options is annoying though, I haven't poked around in files but in game I don't seem to be able to turn the graphics above 1280*768 (I'm playing on a 1600*900 laptop).

Heliocentric
22-06-2012, 10:28 AM
What are you playing at the moment for 150 hours without enjoyment?

This should be a new thread. I'm no longer enjoying defence grid, I keep installing playing it when I remember the friends score boards and how well made it is(all future TD games must have time rewind WRITE IT IN STONE), then abandoning it when I remember how menial the genre is without a twist. I'm an odd one.

sabrage
22-06-2012, 11:31 AM
Majesty is still kind of beating my ass, but now that I have a handle on all the temples I'm doing a lot better. That said...

I started up Ys: The Oath in Felnaga and I don't see myself playing anything else for a while. The combat is sublime (in a ridiculously fast, frenetic way.)

Heliocentric
22-06-2012, 11:54 AM
Majesty is still kind of beating my ass, but now that I have a handle on all the temples I'm doing a lot better. That said...

I started up Ys: The Oath in Felnaga and I don't see myself playing anything else for a while. The combat is sublime (in a ridiculously fast, frenetic way.)
Majesty needs a certain level of cheese, like building rangers huts and a single rogue house, getting poison and having a swarm of rangers walking about without any hunting fees issued, if anything big comes up set a guard fee on the biggest building you have in his path and the rangers with lay down an incredible barrage and then go to the shops once the enemy is dead.

Even a ranger that is running away might kill more minior enemies with poison.

sabrage
22-06-2012, 11:59 AM
Guard fee?

Heliocentric
22-06-2012, 12:00 PM
Guard fee?
Put a guard (defend?) flag on a house and fund it.

sabrage
22-06-2012, 12:07 PM
There's only explore and kill flags in the original. Maybe that's in the expansion?

Heliocentric
22-06-2012, 12:15 PM
There's only explore and kill flags in the original. Maybe that's in the expansion?Oh, damn, Majesty 2 has totally wiped my brain of Majesty, okay, go make a load of really easy to reach explore flags (think of it as a start up grant, give the to newly raised heroes too) and make sure every hero gets one as soon as you have a shop with potions (market place?) set up, they'll go and buy a load of potions which you'll take back as tax. Essentially, any money you are holding is being wasted, you want to spend it trying to boost your economy, as long as heroes don't die anything you spend you get back.

Ravelle
22-06-2012, 01:57 PM
Resonance, Quantum Conundrum, and Civ V.

Tikey
22-06-2012, 02:22 PM
Witcher 2. Finished the first act. It's getting interesting.

Kodeen
22-06-2012, 03:26 PM
Started up Demon's Souls yesterday. I was convinced beforehand that I would be playing offline, that the concept of invasions was the worst thing ever and anyone who partook in that activity were inherently bad people. However, I left myself logged into PSN and I'm glad that I did.

After the tutorial, you go to an area called the Nexus, which is a hub. I saw a bloodstain on a staircase, and clicked on it to watch someone run up the stairs and then jump off the top to their death. Puzzled, I walked up the stairs and saw a player note encouraging other players to do just that. It tickled me, I guess people thought the note was letting them into some secret, but it was just some malicious trick. Pretty good one too, since there were a few bloodstains that witnessed it working.

I still have only just begun and haven't had to deal with an invasion yet, so I might change my mind still.

I also started up Eschalon Book 1, and so far it looks pretty good. I must have been on the character creation screen (for 1 character!) for 15 minutes.

sk2k
22-06-2012, 03:33 PM
Still playing The Real Texas. It's much bigger then i thought. There is also a lot of secret stuff to discover.

Rauten
22-06-2012, 03:34 PM
Started up Demon's Souls yesterday.

It is ridiculously good, and that's coming from someone that had to play always offline. You'll love it, and it'll make you buy Dark Souls, mark my words.

Althea
22-06-2012, 04:40 PM
I've just finished Broken Sword 2: The Smoking Mirror (Remastered). Not bad, but they really only did a half-assed job of the remaster.

Drake Sigar
22-06-2012, 06:53 PM
Started up Demon's Souls yesterday.

Forum - PC GAMING - PC Gaming Discussion - What are you playing at the moment?

You might as well go to a hardcore Christian forum and talk about the advantages of Buddhism. The next person who mentions a game I can't have, gets the evil eye.

Nalano
22-06-2012, 07:05 PM

You might as well go to a hardcore Christian forum and talk about the advantages of Buddhism. The next person who mentions a game I can't have, gets the evil eye.

I'm going to disagree with you solely on the basis that you dislike Saints Row 3, which makes you a bad person and worthy of scorn in all things.

Also, your face.

Kodeen
22-06-2012, 07:11 PM

Did you see the new 3DS XL? That thing is HUGE!

Althea
22-06-2012, 07:25 PM

Your mother.

Nalano
22-06-2012, 07:27 PM
Your mother.

He can have that. It's just wrong and bad.

Drake Sigar
22-06-2012, 08:07 PM
You're supposed to tag.

I'm going to disagree with you solely on the basis that you dislike Saints Row 3, which makes you a bad person and worthy of scorn in all things. Fortunately I don't judge others based on their entertainment preferences. Achieving 100% completion three times on SR3 has in no way tarnished my opinion of you.

Tasteless cretin.

Did you see the new 3DS XL? That thing is HUGE!
3D is a myth spun by corporate. Much like magic eye puzzles.

Your mother.
Your adoption agency.

Kodeen
22-06-2012, 08:22 PM
3D is a myth spun by corporate. Much like magic eye puzzles.

Aw man, I hated those things. Not because I couldn't get them to work, I could, but the subjects of those pictures were always so banal. Here's a boat. Here's a giftwrapped present. Here's a ball.

Balls are art.

Nalano
22-06-2012, 08:28 PM
Fortunately I don't judge others based on their entertainment preferences. Achieving 100% completion three times on SR3 has in no way tarnished my opinion of you.

Which immediately draws the question as to your opinion of me.

Cosm
22-06-2012, 08:48 PM
Playing Crusader Kings II some more because I'm excited for the Swords of Islam expansion. Just messing around in the Game of Thrones mod at the moment though, because I'm not sure what effect all the new stuff is going to have on my old saves. Just going to start a new game when SoI comes out. But right now I have a Greyjoy game going (taking a cue from the books and raiding the north while they're away at war) and also a Clegane game. Gregor's ruling the house now, but it's diverging from the books just a bit. The Mountain-That-Rides is a nice man, with happy feelings all of the time, and The Hound's dream is to fall in love.

Also playing through Planescape: Torment for the first time, and it's great. I was kind of worried because the writing is always so hyped, I thought it might not live up to it, but it definitely has. One the best, most creative, and interesting RPGs I've played (preaching to the choir here I'm sure). The combat is my only complaint. It's really clunky and pathfinding can be incredibly annoying, but for the most part it works out. Been playing a mage, and I really like how the spell memorization system forces you to think carefully about when to use your spells.

Leopig
22-06-2012, 09:00 PM
Bought 7 games this week, Darksiders, LA Noire, Darkspore, Batman Arkham CIty, Sniper Elite V2, NFS Hot pursuit and Dungeon Siege III with DLC. And Out of all those I can;t stop playing Darkspore, loving it with all the different hero's and stuff it really adds a new dimension to dungeon clickers.

Casimir Effect
22-06-2012, 09:50 PM
Also playing through Planescape: Torment for the first time, and it's great. I was kind of worried because the writing is always so hyped, I thought it might not live up to it, but it definitely has. One the best, most creative, and interesting RPGs I've played (preaching to the choir here I'm sure). The combat is my only complaint. It's really clunky and pathfinding can be incredibly annoying, but for the most part it works out. Been playing a mage, and I really like how the spell memorization system forces you to think carefully about when to use your spells.
Oh just you wait. It only gets better as you progress with more and more stories and threads come together as the parties stories are revealed. For story, writing, setting and characters I find nothing compares. Whereabouts are you*?

The combat is the weakside though, especially if you've played Baldurs Gate 2. It gets better later on when you aren't so fragile and when you'll have the more powerful spells open to you. Luckily, having played Icewind Dale 2 the pathfinding in any other Infinite Engine game seems like the most perfect, sublime example of it's craft to be found.

* I shouldn't ask as it'll only make me want to replay it

alms
22-06-2012, 10:15 PM
Tobe's Vertical Adventure. I love this little game! It's oh so cute (I mean rubber ducks^H^H^H^Hzebra finches!) and the spelunky-ish(*) platforming just works for me (especially difficulty which is pretty spot on for the platform-impaired players as myself) and the OST is pretty cheerful, if a bit repetitive. On the downside, the port is a bit rough round the edges, sound design amateurish and the graphics in the third world slightly crummy (namely tiles, and can't comment on the final world yet). It's also short, but hey, it's less than two euros/etc on sale.

(*) TBH I can't say how much spelunky really is in this one besides ropes and the general indiana jones/archeology adventure spin, but that was the best I could come up with.

Fumarole
22-06-2012, 10:16 PM
I also started up Eschalon Book 1, and so far it looks pretty good. I must have been on the character creation screen (for 1 character!) for 15 minutes.For some reason I bounced off the first one twice but the second grabbed me immediately.

The character generator is indeed quite dandy.

NathanH
22-06-2012, 10:43 PM
pathfinding can be incredibly annoying

I can't remember if Planescape is like all the other Infinity Engine games, but all the others have a config program you can run and set "pathfinding nodes" to the maximum possible, dramatically improving the pathing for effectively no cost.

Cosm
22-06-2012, 10:57 PM
@Casimir Effect, Not sure how far along I am, but I got to the upper ward areas just a little while ago. I've been taking my time trying to explore all over the place, because there are neat spells and interactions hiding everywhere. Just got Ignus in my party too, and he's great. The way he teaches you spells is so amazing haha. Those two are definitely on the list of classic RPGs I still need to play. I'm thinking I'll beat Planescape and then wait for the Baldur's Gate HD rerelease, go through that, BGII, and then hopefully conquer Icewind Dale I & II. So many old awesome games I have to catch up on. :|

@NathanH, Is there a way to do that besides editing the .ini file? I was looking into that but apparently 32000 is the max, and that was also the default.

Althea
22-06-2012, 10:58 PM
After finishing Broken Sword 2 earlier, I moved almost straight into Broken Sword 3: The Sleeping Dragon.

Well... Wow, that's a big change. The controls are a little weird at first, but oddly they feel almost perfectly natural very, very quickly.

NathanH
22-06-2012, 11:05 PM
@NathanH, Is there a way to do that besides editing the .ini file? I was looking into that but apparently 32000 is the max, and that was also the default.

Yuck, the early versions of the IE were limited like that. I know Baldur's Gate 1 on release had the same limit, and it was horrible. Eventually BG1 was patched up to 400000, but perhaps Planescape never was.

Casimir Effect
22-06-2012, 11:14 PM
@Casimir Effect, Not sure how far along I am, but I got to the upper ward areas just a little while ago. I've been taking my time trying to explore all over the place, because there are neat spells and interactions hiding everywhere. Just got Ignus in my party too, and he's great. The way he teaches you spells is so amazing haha. Those two are definitely on the list of classic RPGs I still need to play. I'm thinking I'll beat Planescape and then wait for the Baldur's Gate HD rerelease, go through that, BGII, and then hopefully conquer Icewind Dale I & II. So many old awesome games I have to catch up on. :|
Well, I hope you enjoy what's coming. Torment is probably my favourite game of all time.

I should mention that the pathfinding is the only real bad point of Icewind Dale II and it is otherwise a very solid game. And Baldurs Gate I looks and plays great if you use the Baldurs Gate Trilogy mod so you don't really need to wait for the HD release.

Vague-rant
22-06-2012, 11:31 PM
Baldur's Gate 2. It's definitely a lot less work than the first one (which I ultimately only completed to get to number 2), but after escaping the dungeon... just not clicking. I do very much feel like I'm wandering instead of exploring which might not seem like a big difference but it is.

If it doesn't get good in the next hour or so, I'll probably just uninstall and try out Avadon instead.

Casimir Effect
22-06-2012, 11:39 PM
Baldur's Gate 2. It's definitely a lot less work than the first one (which I ultimately only completed to get to number 2), but after escaping the dungeon... just not clicking. I do very much feel like I'm wandering instead of exploring which might not seem like a big difference but it is.

If it doesn't get good in the next hour or so, I'll probably just uninstall and try out Avadon instead.
Give it a little longer. Trust me. Go to the Copper Coronet and investigate what goes on in the back rooms. Or go to the Temple District and investigate the Cult of the Eyeless. One of the bigger Act II quests is all it will take to hook you.

SirKicksalot
23-06-2012, 02:53 AM
I finished Syndicate. To its credit the story goes full retard hippie-hippie fight the powah only in the final hour of about five. On the other hand, the middle section of the game takes away two of the three hacking powers.
All things considered, it was a great power trip. Buy it cheap and play it on easy. I don't care about the coop but the campaign is a worthy purchase for a tenner.

Now I wish someone would make a Matrix game where you play as an agent.

agentorange
23-06-2012, 03:16 AM

I'd advise keeping it installed. I hit the same issue actually, I think part of the reason was that I had simply burned myself out with BG1. I played some other games for a month, then the mood struck me to play it again and I was absorbed for a week.

kstress71
23-06-2012, 07:16 AM
Diablo 3 (Nightmare)
Binding of Isaac - So addicted, but I still suck at it.
Mass Effect 3 - Finally ready to dive in now that FF XIII-2 is done.
Civ V - Not ready for Gods & Kings, but maybe soon...
Hamilton's Great Adventure - Great puzzler
Shank - Love me some 2D gore
Alien Breed 2

kstress71
23-06-2012, 07:17 AM
So how is QC? I am interested in that game but don't know if it's worth pulling myself away from something else at the moment. Immediate purchase or wait?

coldvvvave
23-06-2012, 07:44 AM
DayZ - first time I played it on a decent server for a couple of hours and there were almost no bugs.

Me and my friend spawned in different places. We spent an hour looting and avoiding Zeds. We both had hatchets and some bits of supplies, we decide to meet somewhere. After I alerted some Zeds in Bolota and got into a fight I'm a bit roughed up and my vision isn't very clear even after bandaging myself and taking painkillers, I also pass out often. My friend tells me he is almost in Bolota, I have no idea where I am in this village sneaking around almost blinded. He alerts Zeds an I pass out near some burned truck. Exactly when I wake up I see a Survivor running from a bunch of Zeds five meters away from where I'm lying. Yeah, it's my friend. I follow the mob of Zeds and when he loses them I sneak around and we finally end up on a different sides of a concrete wall. After some running around we link up and share supplies. We have some food and bandages, no water, four Makarov rounds and hatchets. We decide to loot a big building with vertical ladders. Zeds are there, we separate and end up on a roof after a couple of minutes of Zed hatchet-bashing. There is only one way and we kill Zeds who climb the ladder. Finally there is another Zed. We hit him with our hatchets. It's another Survivor. He offers us some supplies but we refuse since he have nothing we need. He leaves after bandaging himself while we laugh maniacally. We die in couple of minutes, my friend pass out near a Zed and when I rush to help him I am knocked out by another Zed and eaten. Game over.

Now I get whats the fuss is about. It's an anti-game sandbox game. Yeah, it's interesting, I'll try again.

sk2k
23-06-2012, 07:57 AM
Witcher 1 (got nostalgic after finishing the 2nd), Minecraft, Avadon - The Black Fortress. Also just found out about Exult (http://exult.sourceforge.net/), so I might poke at Ultima 7 in the near future.

Be warned. There are reports of disappearing objects over time when playing with Exult. It's long known issue but there is still no fix.

Drake Sigar
23-06-2012, 10:00 AM
I'm playing Dragon Age: Origins now, trying to conjure up some sort of immersion in the party camp while a smug intruder sits in the corner advertising DLC.

"It'll be well implemented" they told me, "we'll probably put the DLC merchant in some corner of the world and you could walk right by him in the streets" they insisted. Fuck you Bioware. Some corner of the world isn't my own camp - the one place I can't possibly ignore him.

NathanH
23-06-2012, 10:10 AM
The first time I played Dragon Age I never connected to the internet at any stage and that fellow never appeared. It's amazing how annoying I found him when I replayed.

roryok
23-06-2012, 10:22 AM
Receiver. It's great! Even if it is only a broken demo

Anthile
23-06-2012, 12:09 PM
I finished Quantum Conundrum yesterday and while it was good fun, it tried a bit too hard to be Portal. I guess I'll tackle Resonance next. Damn those new games, how am I supposed to clear my backlog when people just release new games all the time?

Althea
23-06-2012, 12:45 PM
I finished Quantum Conundrum yesterday and while it was good fun, it tried a bit too hard to be Portal. I guess I'll tackle Resonance next. Damn those new games, how am I supposed to clear my backlog when people just release new games all the time?
A game designed by the lady who worked on Narbacular Drop and Portal created a game that's trying too hard to be Portal?

My brain just imploded.

Anthile
23-06-2012, 12:49 PM
Well, I worked on burritos once but that doesn't mean that everything I cook tastes like burrito.

NathanH
23-06-2012, 01:04 PM
Somebody called me charming once, but I don't try to be charming every day.

Labbes
23-06-2012, 01:27 PM
I once worked at KFC, now I deep fry everything.

Track
23-06-2012, 07:12 PM
Currently making my way through Secret Of Monkey Island, the new HD edition. I love the art style, though i've turned off the voice overs as I prefer to make those up in my head. It's really well written so far, though i'm absolutely awful at following adventure game logic.

Althea
23-06-2012, 07:15 PM
though i'm absolutely awful at following adventure game logic.
I think it's unpossible to be good at it.

alms
23-06-2012, 09:16 PM
though i'm absolutely awful at following adventure game logic.

not sure what you're expecting exactly from the game which introduced the world to the wonders of a rubber chicken with a pulley in the middle.

Rauten
23-06-2012, 10:01 PM
So, Phantasy Star Online 2 is back, in Open Beta form. And suddenly, there are no other games.

Track
23-06-2012, 10:22 PM
not sure what you're expecting exactly from the game which introduced the world to the wonders of a rubber chicken with a pulley in the middle.

I was actually okay with the rubber chicken; the game continuously gave you the option to ask people to take it as payment, so its uselessness became something of a running joke. When I finally did use it it didn't seem too far-fetched of a solution, if only because it was the only other thing that it could possibly be used for at that point in the game.

What really threw me was the stewed meat + condiment thing. I don't know if I missed a clue near the beginning of the game, but that seemed completely arbitrary to me.

Battle Programmer Spike
23-06-2012, 11:21 PM
What really threw me was the stewed meat + condiment thing. I don't know if I missed a clue near the beginning of the game, but that seemed completely arbitrary to me.

I don't remember where exactly, but I got the hint of using the flowers as condiments so I could get past the dogs from reading that they were powerful narcotics. I think one of the characters would give you that hint if you showed him the flowers.

Edit: Actually... I think it was Otis the one who said something about flowers when you asked him why he was in prison, maybe?.

Casimir Effect
23-06-2012, 11:28 PM
Winter 1736, the date the great nation of France ceased to exist. Non, je ne regrette rien.

Les cuisses de grenouille manger connards

Fanbuoy
24-06-2012, 12:09 AM
Winter 1736, the date the great nation of France ceased to exist. Non, je ne regrette rien.

Les cuisses de grenouille manger connards

I sort of get the feeling that someone's been dabbling with Empire? Me too, trying out Russia for the first time. Only Austria left after them, I think.

Tikey
24-06-2012, 12:31 AM
Edit: Actually... I think it was Otis the one who said something about flowers when you asked him why he was in prison, maybe?.

Precisely that.

alms
24-06-2012, 12:38 AM
I was actually okay with the rubber chicken;

Who wouldn't? the rubber chicken is pure greatness. It has stood the test of time: talk to someone who's played the game 20 years ago - they still remember the rubber chicken! they STILL love it!

Casimir Effect
24-06-2012, 12:54 AM
I sort of get the feeling that someone's been dabbling with Empire? Me too, trying out Russia for the first time. Only Austria left after them, I think.
Good guess. Beating the French out of Europe unexpectedly caused their N. American holdings to become rebel factions so they were destroyed.I took Quebec just before so the Thirteen Colonies has suddenly been added to my Empire, just in time too seeing as the Spanish declared war again. Because y'know, the first war went so well for them. Not like I control the Iberian peninsula or anything... oh wait, yes I do. Annoyingly they seem to have spent the ceasefire building a full-stack army in Texas which is headed for Upper or Lower Louisiana. I can hurt it but not stop it until my Quebec conquering army gets back down south. Well, at least I'll be able to beat the crap into them in Europe.

What's Russia like? The position seems good in some respects (fewer flanks) but worse in others (not very naval-based). Based on my game Austria would be a nightmare. They've been resurrected once but I have a feeling they're dead again, seeing as Prussia owns Vienna.

Oak
24-06-2012, 04:22 AM
Continuing the theme, I'm playing Medieval II as Milan and our conquest of Italy and the Adriatic coast (I prefer to think of it as a War of Unification) is going swimmingly. According to Wikipedia we're due to be sacked by Frederick Barbarossa in a few turns, but I expect I've changed history enough to put worries like that out of my head.

SirKicksalot
24-06-2012, 04:57 AM
Civ 5 + expansion. They still haven't fixed that fucking retarded "feature" that makes your workers stop building a road when another unit walks on a future road tile. I only played about five hours, just got my first spy. Feels a lot like the first Civ 4 expansion - it's more like a content dump than taking the game to the next level. That's perfectly fine and I like the game a lot, but the sentiment that there's a lot of untapped potential is as annoying as before.

KDR_11k
24-06-2012, 08:42 AM
I'm fighting against Gamers Gate's UI in the hope of getting that damn account activation email and finally buy Xenus 2.

kstress71
24-06-2012, 08:44 AM
I'm fighting against Gamers Gate's UI in the hope of getting that damn account activation email and finally buy Xenus 2.

Their site is one of the ugliest I've ever seen. At least the functionality matches the design.

Voon
24-06-2012, 08:59 AM
Just started Dwarf Fortress today and I have no idea what I'm doing. It's winter by the time they arrive so... bad thing?

apricotsoup
24-06-2012, 10:55 AM
M:TG 2013.

Much sameness, better looking background, few nice touches, still not a lot of deck customisation.

New decks are a mixed bag, some seem great and the goblin deck is a lot of fun but my old fav black card burn deck has turned into a weird creaturey mess :/

fiddlesticks
24-06-2012, 11:32 AM
Speaking of the first Monkey Island, I always felt it's one of the few adventure games that holds up really well to this day, not just when talking about the writing and setting, but also in terms of the actual puzzles involved. With a few exceptions most of them are either fairly logical or the game provides enough hints to set you on the right track, so you never really feel cheated. Whenever I actually had to look up the solution to a puzzle my reaction was "I should have figured that out" rather than "How should I have figured this out".

Monkey Island 2, while being a superior game in most aspects, was that step back in that regard. Some of the riddles in that one are downright ludicrous. I'm looking at you, spitting contest.

Fanbuoy
24-06-2012, 12:14 PM
@ Casimir:

If possible, I'd advise you to blitz them out of Europe before they do too much damage in the colonies. Take their European holdings and they'll collapse like France did.

Russia is... busy. Everything starts out nice and dandy. War with the Ottomans from the beginning, allowing me to take a port at Crimea. I tried to establish some trade and keep the western fronts peaceful but, foolish as I am, I was working under the assumption that the AI was rational (I hadn't played for a while). Suffice it to say that I'm at war pretty much everywhere. I had high hopes for my fellow Swedes to be more reasonable, but it turns out we're douchebags. My best general died heroically from a friendly fire cannonball to the head (stupid mistake, but I thought I had enough margins). Currently, there's this WW1 thing going on, with the border regions changing hands a lot. Despite being severely outnumbered, I think I have the advantage. Next step is to liberate Sweden from the imbeciles in charge. It may not be strategically prudent since the Ottomans are blocking my sea trade, but it's a matter of principle. I'm getting by with overland trade with the Persians for now.

alms
24-06-2012, 03:38 PM
Crap, you ppl are making me long to play MI1 again :|

Casimir Effect
24-06-2012, 03:38 PM
@ Fanbuoy

They have 3 provinces left in Europe, none of which are connected, with various allies of theirs such as Venice, the Italian States and Genoa - none of whom like me that much. Also, my Territorial Expansion diplomatic penalty is currently huge because I hate having armies sitting idle, so taking those final Spanish enclaves would almost certainly make Russia, Poland/Lithuania or Sweden declare war on me like France did so long ago. I think I just need to ride this out, maybe lose an American province or two until my strong army gets back from Canada, then figure out my plans.

The schizophrenic AI does get annoying sometimes. I currently have a nice alliance formed with the Dutch, Ottomans and Maratha Confederacy, but I know the game will have any of them turn around and declare war even though my relations with them are great. Any chance you can form an alliance with someone on the other side of Europe? Getting in with France or Spain could be great.
Things were so much easier in Rome where I just declared war on everyone right from the start then slowly kicked ass all across Europe.

Fumarole
24-06-2012, 03:43 PM
Splinter Cell: Conviction now that I have a rig capable of running it. The new few weeks will be filled with all the glorious gaming I've skipped out on for the last year or so.

Fanbuoy
24-06-2012, 04:33 PM
@ Casimir

Oh, I totally forgot about the expansion penalty. Hasn't been much of an issue for me, as you can imagine. You could lay siege to their holdings in Europe to try to force a cease fire? As I said before, I haven't played for a long time, but I think that's possible. It probably won't do any harm at least. And there's always economic warfare.

I think Maratha has betrayed me every time I've tried an alliance with them, so that's where my money is.

I think that France and Spain are a bit too far away to be worth the tribute I'd probably have to provide for an alliance. Perhaps Prussia and Venice are better. Prussia are on good terms with the Swedes, but it might be worth a shot as they would open a second front to cover for Poland-Lithuania. Austria would be ideal also, but they're busy getting their asses spanked. Venice don't like the Ottomans and have a solid fleet that could help open my sea trade route.

Heliocentric
24-06-2012, 05:39 PM
Splinter Cell: Conviction now that I have a rig capable of running it. The new few weeks will be filled with all the glorious gaming I've skipped out on for the last year or so.

Be sure to try and get a coop partner (match making is a graveyard), its good coop.

DzX
24-06-2012, 05:51 PM
Playing through Driver San Francisco at the moment. Despite the cringe worthy plot [I didn't think they would take the switching mechanic so literally] it's a lot of fun. The driving mechanics are solid, the missions varied enough and the ability to switch to almost any car in the city adds a whole new dimension to the traditional formula.