PDA

View Full Version : What are you playing at the moment?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85

Creeping Death
13-07-2011, 05:38 PM
Playing Tomb Raider Anniversary at the minute. Someone on here suggested the idea of playing the Crystal Dynamics Tomb Raider games in release order, along the lines of Indiana Jones with the prequel in the middle, and the idea appealed to me so I've been working through them.

Finished up Alice: Madness Returns this morning. Overall enjoyed the game, though it was shorter than I expected from some of the reviews, and the last Chapter was my least favourite. Besides that I've got NFS: Hot Pursuit for when I desire a short gaming session and I intend to grab Cthulhu Saves the World later because it seems too silly to resist.

The JG Man
13-07-2011, 06:01 PM
Playing some Super Meat World levels and it's just consistent flaw after flaw in basic level design. Most of the levels I've played so far haven't even been 'hard', they've just been ridiculous. Give me a challenge in Meat Boy, please, but they're not sensible. Levels either completely lack direction, which you should be able to establish immediately and/or have a rhythm to your movement. It's disappointing to have a wealth of these levels available to you and to find they're just flawed. Occasionally I'll come across a decent one, but it'll be really easy to do.

The beauty of Super Meat Boy, beneath the music, design and everything else periphery was that the core game mechanics were perfect. So very rarely did you ever feel like it was the game's fault you died because you knew what you did wrong. Yes, the game would be punishing in difficulty at the higher end, but knowing you'd got that far and pulling off the tricks you had meant you knew you could do it, so the anger was at yourself, not the game. With these random levels, I'm simply loading them up, giving them a go or two and then moving onto the next because they're so badly designed I don't feel like challenging the level when it's a game that's supposed to make you challenge yourself.

Spacewalk
14-07-2011, 08:13 AM
Spied on Indieblog, I instantly fell in love with Dig-N-Rig (https://www.digipen.edu/?id=1170&proj=24629) and lost an hour so far. It's pretty cool and incredibly beautiful to look at, you are a digging robot and you dig to the centre of the earth and it's been a little over an hour already? There goes my evening.

Similar
14-07-2011, 09:07 AM
Playing King's Bounty. I got The Legend, Armored Princess and Crossworlds at the Christmas Steam sale (unless it was the Thanksgiving one) and hadn't tried them until now. I started out with The Legend, but sort of painted myself into a corner, so after five hours I decided to try Princess to see if I had more luck there and I seem to, but I did even play the tutorial this time too.
Nice games. They seem to be very long and I do wonder if they'll keep my interest long enough to finish them, but so far I'm enjoying them and all the little details they've put everywhere.

Anthile
14-07-2011, 10:00 AM
Trying to play Still Life right now. I like the story but the actual game is full with frustrating, arbitrary puzzles. The two hardest puzzles are about baking cookies and picking a lock - the game is about a murder mystery. Both of these puzzles took me more than an hour to figure out and the lockpicking one had me resort to a walkthrough in the end. It's a goddamn lock, just kick it in or something! Jeez. It just reminds me why I can't be bothered to play adventure games these days.

Ian
14-07-2011, 10:36 AM
As is always the risk when approaching an old game for the first time, Jagged Alliance 2 feels a little clunky. I'm putting it off for now as that's causing me to not get it played often enough. I have made a start on "Bob Came in Pieces" and it's pretty good fun thus far. That it's pretty easy to make a ship that's not only completely unsuitable for the task at hand but also can't even get back to a workshop point is balanced out by how well the checkpointing is done.

A few moments of frustration thus far but from 5 levels (which according to the screen is about a third of the adventure mode) that's not too shabby. Can probably get it polished off this weekend depending on how involves the "VR missions" are.

EnterTheStory
14-07-2011, 12:24 PM
Mentally playing The Picture of Dorian Gray. I'm designing it, and going over the game in my head, to see if it would work. If it doesn't work I change it. now THAT is interactivity :)

Heliocentric
14-07-2011, 03:29 PM
Despite advice to the contrary I finished assassins creed. But it didn't drag on as suggested even after the funeral level because of one thing, the hidden blade.

Fighting with the sword and knife was spamy and resulted in guards only rarely getting scared and fleeing.

But pure hidden blade was
"see a taunt: bam one hit kill
see a cower: bam one hit kill
they do a quick swing: bam one hit kill counter
see a power attack:'step' counter, bam one hit kill

I could clear put 10 guys in one minute that way. It's a great game but only one hour in I can see assassins creed 2 is a drastically better than the first. Even the climbing. is more interesting.

mR.Waffles
14-07-2011, 06:36 PM
Helio, I've been playing the second one and so far it is fantastic. They basically refined and fixed everything wrong with the first one, and most importantly, at least to me, they fixed the terrible writing.

The JG Man
14-07-2011, 08:42 PM
I'm really beginning to lose my patience with Dead Space 2. Yet another game that falls into the trap of making you die when it's just so obviously not your fault. I don't mind taking a health hit if I do something stupid, or once in a while, but in an area where a fight is telegraphed, and not just telegraphed but you know what enemies you'll be facing, I'm not at all impressed. Those raptor-type things are just awful design. Confined space where you have very little time to shoot them, but they excel in movement, and you can't even dodge sideways because they somehow manage to run round corners at full speed unless you manage to get just the right angle. This would be lessened if the kinesis pick-up-and-throw move would actually work for me, where I feel like a coin toss happens behind the scenes to see if the canister or spikey thing wants to hit on the target I'm so obviously hitting.

The atmosphere is dull or uninspiring, and you tend to just go round in a circle when you could go round the other way and get there instantly, if it weren't for a pile of apparently unmovable crates or some nonsense. It's not a bad game, it's just massively disappointing. I was reading around when it came out that it was some sort of marvellous game and I just don't bloody see that. It's a 3/5 game in that it's average. I'm waiting for something to turn me around and to like it, but I'm a bit into Chapter 9 and just not finding much.

ZamFear
15-07-2011, 01:27 AM
Flitting between things I picked up during the Steam sale. Auidiosurf, Sanctum, Alien Breed 2, Wolfenstien 3D + Spear of Destiny, Commander Keen, Heretic, Hexen...

Serenegoose
15-07-2011, 01:30 AM
I'm really beginning to lose my patience with Dead Space 2. Yet another game that falls into the trap of making you die when it's just so obviously not your fault. I don't mind taking a health hit if I do something stupid, or once in a while, but in an area where a fight is telegraphed, and not just telegraphed but you know what enemies you'll be facing, I'm not at all impressed. Those raptor-type things are just awful design. Confined space where you have very little time to shoot them, but they excel in movement, and you can't even dodge sideways because they somehow manage to run round corners at full speed unless you manage to get just the right angle. This would be lessened if the kinesis pick-up-and-throw move would actually work for me, where I feel like a coin toss happens behind the scenes to see if the canister or spikey thing wants to hit on the target I'm so obviously hitting.

Use your stasis and the line gun or javelin gun. They do straight line charges, a javelin plus alt fire on impact kills it, or a single line gun round will take both its feet out.

The JG Man
15-07-2011, 03:23 AM
I don't really think the gun makes any difference. I've upgraded the rifle and it'll take them down in about 20 bullets which is obviously quicker relatively than using the Line Gun. Stasis is great, but that too seems to want to be extremely questionable on whether or not it actually wants to hit the target. Enemy placement in this game is so totally whacked, to the extent that it really dampens some areas. There's one room and I think it was either just after or before the location I was referring to in my previous post where you have two of the upgraded (read: more black) Necromorphs and a few other weaker ones all attacking you in a really small room. I'm not asking the game to be fair in a "Please don't give me enemies" kind of way, but I would like it to be less frustrating.

As it goes, my enjoyment for the game has taken a turn for the up as of chapter 9. Some very clever plays on the player's knowledge and some satisfying set-pieces. Bit disappointing it's taken this long, but yeah, pacing not the strongest point in this game.

sabrage
15-07-2011, 03:47 AM
Would you say Jagged Alliance 2 is worth the frustration? I saw it at the flea market the other day (didn't check the price, but I'm sure it's still there) and I was gonna go back for Total Annihilation anyways

Oak
15-07-2011, 04:49 AM
Of course. It's aged pretty well, all things considered. It's just murderously difficult.

Ian
15-07-2011, 09:42 AM
It's difficult and coming at it with new eyes I find it a touch clunky but I will be going back to it.

Olero
15-07-2011, 12:29 PM
Would you say Jagged Alliance 2 is worth the frustration? I saw it at the flea market the other day (didn't check the price, but I'm sure it's still there) and I was gonna go back for Total Annihilation anyways

It is! And be sure to pick up the great 1.13 "patch" on the bear pit forums (click (http://www.ja-galaxy-forum.com/board/ubbthreads.php)), which really improves gameplay and reduces a whole lot of bugs. Can't play JA2 without it. Total Annihilation also has great additions (especially units) and still is a great great game

Ciber
15-07-2011, 01:42 PM
I've been playing Brink and it's OK, but also sort of dull. I'm determined to get to level 20 though and see how fun it is with the top rank 5 items. Probably better k/d without being much more fun. Also I want to see these free DLC maps.

coldvvvave
15-07-2011, 02:59 PM
Wizardry 8.

I can't beat mudcrabs, looks like I have to start from scratch with a new party( go go Gamefaqs.com).

Serenegoose
15-07-2011, 03:30 PM
Still mainly playing retribution: Just the singleplayer, I have no interest in the multi. So far the eldar campaign has lasted at least 10 hours, and I've not even touched any of the other campaigns yet, nor have I finished it. I was worried they'd be a paltry couple of missions each when in actuality it's been really rather fleshed out feeling. Going to try the nids next, just to see how they manage a campaign based around them.

Sproutmask
15-07-2011, 07:22 PM
Amongst many things I bought in the Steam sale, I've also found time for Octodad, which has caused me more than one enormous belly laugh. I'd probably never have found it if it wasn't for the RPS post so thanks!

Tikey
15-07-2011, 07:39 PM
oh my, I have to play octodad.
My old computer couldn't run it so I completely forgot about it.

Doesn'tmeananything
15-07-2011, 08:33 PM
Alpha Protocol! I've just finished the first operation (that is, the first batch of intertwined missions in Saudi Arabia), and I have to admit that I'm thoroughly surprised. Everything bad I heard about the game was the missions in the beginning, minigames and shooting, but to me they all seemed just fine. The game does feel lacking in, well, gameplay, i.e. stealth is not complex at all, AI is mostly crap, etc., but not being over-intricate, AP does not exhaust, and you can fully concentrate on the good story. The pace is what enthralled me so much, I believe, in that it adapts to the tastes of the player but generally stays rather fast. Can't wait to play more.

8-bit
15-07-2011, 10:01 PM
debating whether or not to finish dark messiah as the quality of gameplay has taken a nosedive. fucking ghouls. they avoid attacks that clearly hit them, hit for a quarter or more health, are impossible to knock off balance by kicking, are too fast to use spells on, and come in packs of ten to twenty.

Wooly Wugga Wugga
16-07-2011, 04:58 AM
Alpha Protocol! I've just finished the first operation (that is, the first batch of intertwined missions in Saudi Arabia), and I have to admit that I'm thoroughly surprised. Everything bad I heard about the game was the missions in the beginning, minigames and shooting, but to me they all seemed just fine. The game does feel lacking in, well, gameplay, i.e. stealth is not complex at all, AI is mostly crap, etc., but not being over-intricate, AP does not exhaust, and you can fully concentrate on the good story. The pace is what enthralled me so much, I believe, in that it adapts to the tastes of the player but generally stays rather fast. Can't wait to play more.

Alpha Protocol got a really bad rap and was without a doubt my game of the year. I wish I could play it for the first time again.

DPred
16-07-2011, 05:22 AM
STALKER: Call of Pripyat, which I got during the sales. I played through Clear Sky about a month ago and comparing these two games, I feel like CoP is just better to an insane degree. I loved Shadow of Chernobyl, but so far, my time with CoP has been everything I've ever dreamed about in a game like this. It's so near perfect. I have only played for about two hours, and I can deem this game perfect if there are vast stretches of underground tunnels and bunkers like SoC. Then I will be in gamer nirvana.

Anthile
16-07-2011, 09:20 AM
Just played through Still Life and somehow they managed to smuggled in some more godawful puzzles. They had me moving a robot through a maze of moving, deadly lasers. I really hope they fired the puzzle designer, because Still Life 2 just finished downloading. Wish me luck.

Colonel J
16-07-2011, 09:54 AM
Jamestown.

Bloody hell, it's great.
Bloody hell, I suck at it even on lowest difficulty.

My twitch sh'mup skills really are weak these days. Great fun though. An impulse buy in the Steam sale and one of the best things I got.

Ciber
16-07-2011, 01:48 PM
I bought it in a steam sale and afterward wondered why I bought it lol. When I played it it's actually pretty good. Some of it is a bit clunky but it's like Mass Effect set in present time.

8-bit
16-07-2011, 02:12 PM
right, done with dark messiah, so was it worth it? I suppose most of the game was a lot of fun so yes, even if it descends into a glitchy mess with horrible and boring encounters towards the end. I had very few problems with the game until the final stages at which point it completely freaked out, voices playing over the top of each other, the lighting frequently broke, animations freaked out, and at one point it barfed a rainbow onto the screen which wouldn't disappear until I left the game. the final boss is easy too, just walk along a ledge at the top of the room and you can snipe him, he cant even fight back if you do this.

edit:

I haven't really given Glade a proper go yet, but in general I find it's not worth it to put many anti-air guns up. Rate of fire and projectile speed are both too low to be very effective. Scatter lasers seem to be better for keeping flyers under control.

Edit: Just did it on medium. Didn't build any anti-air guns. Scatter lasers are all you need for the flyers.

good advice, thanks, I just did it a moment ago. I do find it strange that the anti-air guns aren't that good at fighting off flying targets though.

airtekh
16-07-2011, 10:52 PM
I'm playing Splinter Cell: Conviction.

Quite enjoyable so far. I was under the impression that stealth wasn't a viable option in this game but it seems to be working for me. It's certainly more 'actiony' than previous Splinter Cells sure, but that's not getting in the way of my fun. Loving the new 'mark & execute' mechanic too.

SirKicksalot
17-07-2011, 01:06 AM
Finished Doom 3 for the first time since 2005. Played it with no mods and without the widescreen fix. It still looks great, it aged much better than Far Cry and HL2. And it plays better than most modern shooters. It also has a very good difficulty curve, it keeps getting harder and faster until the end. The Hell and ancient ruins levels have a very strong Quake vibe. I also like the story...
I started Resurrection of Evil. The Grabber is an excellent weapon, I really have fun catching fireballs and throwing them back. The double barrelled shotgun is amazing and bullet time ain't bad either. It lets me take a better look at the enemies!

I think I'll end up replaying Quake 4 and Wolfenstein too. I regret not buying the id pack during the Steam sale (checkout error lol), I'm in the mood for id games and I feel they warrant a replay in preparation for RAGE. Well, the QuakeCon sale isn't far!

The JG Man
17-07-2011, 01:17 AM
Finished Dead Space 2. It gets progressively better, with the last, I'm gonna say about a third, being really very good. The previous several hours are very mediocre with only a few interesting set pieces. The plot, such that it is, is largely very predictable, but it was sufficient enough I suppose. There are still some frustrations with it, but hey. The ending doesn't entirely make up for the preceding game, but it is very good. I'll probably play it again in the future, maybe give Hardcore a go, but otherwise I feel like I've got my fill. I'm sure they'll find a way to go for DS3, I'm sure I can think of a few ways they will, but some improvements definitely need to be made around the board.

Heliocentric
17-07-2011, 09:37 AM
I'm playing Splinter Cell: Conviction.

Quite enjoyable so far. I was under the impression that stealth wasn't a viable option in this game but it seems to be working for me. It's certainly more 'actiony' than previous Splinter Cells sure, but that's not getting in the way of my fun. Loving the new 'mark & execute' mechanic too.

People were so annoyed that stealth wasn't mandatory that they forgot it was an option. Looking back the massive change in methodology and the lack of a pc demo was what made me ignore the game until it was bargain bucket. Now the game has reached the shortlist of games I can't pass comments on without replying... Sorry.

Kadayi
17-07-2011, 10:13 AM
Restarted Mass Effect 2 yesterday. I noticed recently that Bioware had made available the interactive comic version of ME1 that they shipped with with the PS3 version of ME2 as DLC. Having played ME1 about 3 times previously I'd been struggling to motivate myself to run through it again with my default Male Paragon Xenophobe (the lousy inventory management system drives me nuts tbh), so the idea of cutting to the chase and just starting fresh in ME2, but with my xenophobes choices in place Vs the default (Ashley over Liara, killing Wrex, saving the Human fleet Vs the council, Anderson over Udina) appealed.

Enjoying it so far, though Mark Meer is not in the same league as Jennifer Hale as regards the voice acting (plus not being a renegade is hard..). On the positives I now have an excuse to play through all the DLC I bought but never got around to previously (I'm looking at you shadowbroker). Still come ME3, Renegade female shep will still be first on the play through list.

laneford
17-07-2011, 02:42 PM
In an attempt to clear my backlog, I have put all my unplayed games into a googledoc and assigned each a number, then I shout at random people on the street and demand they choose a number, which determines which game I play.

So far I've completed one world of World of Goo. Finished all the standard missions of Gratuitous Space Battles. And thanks to Ian Warboss, choosing #29 I've just started uplink.

It's good isn't it? Like Neuromancer the videogame. Loving it so far.

laneford
17-07-2011, 02:44 PM
Still mainly playing retribution: Just the singleplayer, I have no interest in the multi. So far the eldar campaign has lasted at least 10 hours, and I've not even touched any of the other campaigns yet, nor have I finished it. I was worried they'd be a paltry couple of missions each when in actuality it's been really rather fleshed out feeling. Going to try the nids next, just to see how they manage a campaign based around them.

As a fellow anti-multiplayer DoW fiend, may I reccomend having a go at The Last Stand. It's great, you can play with randoms (or MEeeeeeee), and it's not got that hyper-adrenaline fear/pressure imminent-heart-attack mechanic that Multiplayer RTS' seem to induce.

EOT
17-07-2011, 03:55 PM
I'm visiting my mother for a week so...not very much. She has an ok PC that I built her a couple of months ago (2.6Ghz Quad, 6Gb RAM...integrated graphics) which means nothing with any actual graphical finery. So I'll be on all those bloody indie titles I never play but have about 20 of on my steam list. Maybe I'll finish Machinarium....but probably not because I'm shit at puzzle games.

vinraith
17-07-2011, 06:15 PM
Mount and Blade Warband, mostly, with a bit of Wars in America and Close Combat: Last Stand Arnhem from time to time. On the muliplayer front, I'm engaged in a massive Sword of the Stars co-op game.

Oak
17-07-2011, 07:08 PM
I've been alternating between Killing Floor and Monday Night Combat. Killing Floor is a joy as always, and I'll be sad to see the Summer Sideshow event end. Monday Night Combat frustrated me into dropping it way back, but I decided to give it a second chance with the influx of new players from the Steam sale and I guess I "get" the game now or something because I'm really enjoying it, frustrations and all. And I don't know why I never tried Blitz, the co-op tower defense mode, before, because it turns out it's delightful.

8-bit
18-07-2011, 12:14 AM
today I finished off the undergarden, was confused by inside a star-filled sky, and I failed to help north Africa in fate of the world.

SirKicksalot
18-07-2011, 01:46 AM
I finished Resurrection of Evil. Fantastic expansion, it picks up right where Doom 3 left in terms of difficulty and overall encounter awesomeness. It has more enemies on screen too, and it likes throwing big'uns at you. In packs. And it looks so good! I'd be more than happy with a Doom 4 that takes place in the same base and has the same gameplay. That won't happen, as it's back on Earth with civilians and tons of monsters on screen, but I hope at least some levels will be a throwback to the best game of 2004!

Oak
18-07-2011, 03:10 AM
But why would Doom 4 be a throwback to Half-Life 2?

Anthile
18-07-2011, 07:27 AM
Just finished Still Life 2. Not sure what to say, as it manages to be simultaneously better and worse than the first game. Overall, both games are very annoying and the second game has a weaker story. I never enjoyed myself too much, that's for sure. Blergh.

Jams O'Donnell
18-07-2011, 09:45 AM
I got annoyed with shonky mouse controls in Alpha Protocol. It's probably down to my computer being a bit long in the tooth, but trying to take a stealth approach when your character is prone to doing 180 degree spins at inopportune moments is rather difficult.

Instead, I have switched to Call of Pripyat (first playthrough, no mods). I'm being told to go somewhere there are snorks. I don't want to go somewhere there are snorks :(((

Ian
18-07-2011, 10:27 AM
So I finished the story of Bob Came In Pieces. It's a bit fiddly at times and tweaking your ship eventually became a bit of a chore for me but it was a good little game.

Am now onto Defense Grid which is good fun thus far. Dunno how much it's going to mix things up later, but for now I'm enjoying it.

but trying to take a stealth approach when your character is prone to doing 180 degree spins at inopportune moments is rather difficult.

I want THAT spy movie to be made. :D

Squiz
18-07-2011, 10:58 AM
I got annoyed with shonky mouse controls in Alpha Protocol. It's probably down to my computer being a bit long in the tooth, but trying to take a stealth approach when your character is prone to doing 180 degree spins at inopportune moments is rather difficult.
What annoyed me the most during my recent attempts at that game was that I could for the love of god not manage to stay hidden from enemies, even during the first mission with five ranks in the stealth skill. There has to be something I am doing terribly wrong. Even when crouched, guards (in towers and on even ground) suddenly started shooting, at which point I always panicked, setting the whole base to alarm mode. Unintended flying rolls out of cover right into the path of a guard didn't help much either. I'm a bad spy.

Olero
18-07-2011, 11:43 AM
King's Bounty - The Legend. Yes, still playing and still addictive. Though I'm slowly starting to be reaching the "chore-point", which probably means I'll quit the game after a few more sessions. They sure tried their best to slow you down anyway with all those "fetch-5-flowers-talk-to-someone-on-the-other-side-of-the-world-then-kill-the-big-spider-far-far-away-quests". And it gets annoying to travel through all maps just to keep your army at full strength. Still, the game has some very nice gameplay, challenging fights and is addictive as coke...

Ian
18-07-2011, 11:47 AM
In AP I got a bit miffed when occasionally guards in towers etc. would develop Superman-o-vision, but then a lot of other times it was absurdly easy to scamper about a room biffing everyone "silently" while whichever of their mates you hadn't taken out yet failed to notice.

icupnimpn2
18-07-2011, 12:53 PM
King's Bounty - The Legend. Yes, still playing and still addictive. Though I'm slowly starting to be reaching the "chore-point", which probably means I'll quit the game after a few more sessions. They sure tried their best to slow you down anyway with all those "fetch-5-flowers-talk-to-someone-on-the-other-side-of-the-world-then-kill-the-big-spider-far-far-away-quests". And it gets annoying to travel through all maps just to keep your army at full strength. Still, the game has some very nice gameplay, challenging fights and is addictive as coke...

I liked my army, I really did. But eventually all of that trekking about to replenish made me throw in the towel and recruit 90% of my army from what was at hand in whatever map I was on at the time. And the game's flow improved, and fun was restored. A good part of that fun was learning successful tactics with units that I normally wouldn't have picked.

Drake Sigar
18-07-2011, 01:12 PM
I got annoyed with shonky mouse controls in Alpha Protocol. It's probably down to my computer being a bit long in the tooth, but trying to take a stealth approach when your character is prone to doing 180 degree spins at inopportune moments is rather difficult. Use an Xbox 360 controller. Alpha Protocol is practically unplayable with the mouse and keyboard, plus the keyboard has no walk option so you can’t look totally awesome and advance slowly towards a dude like the terminator before blowing him away, which is a MUST!

What annoyed me the most during my recent attempts at that game was that I could for the love of god not manage to stay hidden from enemies, even during the first mission with five ranks in the stealth skill. There has to be something I am doing terribly wrong. Even when crouched, guards (in towers and on even ground) suddenly started shooting, at which point I always panicked, setting the whole base to alarm mode. Unintended flying rolls out of cover right into the path of a guard didn't help much either. I'm a bad spy. The enemies don’t quite have the limited cone vision of Metal Gear solid’s guards, it’s best to wait till they’re facing an entirely different direction. Or you could always turn on shadow operative, but that always felt like cheating to me.

Kablooie
18-07-2011, 02:02 PM
Finished Dead Space 2. It gets progressively better, with the last, I'm gonna say about a third, being really very good. The previous several hours are very mediocre with only a few interesting set pieces. The plot, such that it is, is largely very predictable, but it was sufficient enough I suppose. There are still some frustrations with it, but hey. The ending doesn't entirely make up for the preceding game, but it is very good. I'll probably play it again in the future, maybe give Hardcore a go, but otherwise I feel like I've got my fill. I'm sure they'll find a way to go for DS3, I'm sure I can think of a few ways they will, but some improvements definitely need to be made around the board.

Dead Space 2 was a pleasant surprise, better than I anticipated. They did what you should do with sequels: fix the problems with the previous game, and expand the game but not change the core gameplay. I thought the cutscenes were thrilling, very well done. The story, unfortunately, remains cringe-worthy, it's still really bad, heh.

Currently on a second playthrough (this time around) of Bioshock 2. Probably will load up Bioshock 1 for a few playthroughs, I'm out of games to play this month.

cosmicolor
18-07-2011, 02:07 PM
Played more King Arthur, found that clicking the question mark in the top right in a battle and turning on unit path indicators let me see where units were going to. Unfortunately I had to restart my campaign due to backing myself into a corner, but my second playthrough is going quite a bit better so far. Also playing Dungeons of Dredmore and not dying.

Spakkenkhrist
18-07-2011, 04:42 PM
I'm playing Singularity which is very silly but quite a satisfying slice of linear FPS cheese, I plan on trying Prey after this. I put The Witcher on hold because progress in the swamps was slow and now I'm moving through Alpha Protocol and really enjoying it, it's easy to overlook a game's flaws when you spent less than the cost of two pints on it.

vinraith
18-07-2011, 05:54 PM
Use an Xbox 360 controller. Alpha Protocol is practically unplayable with the mouse and keyboard, plus the keyboard has no walk option so you can’t look totally awesome and advance slowly towards a dude like the terminator before blowing him away, which is a MUST!

Except then you can't hit the broad side of a barn, because thumbstick aiming is the devil. This is actually my problem with Alpha Protocol in a nut shell, some parts of the interface seem designed for one type of controller and some parts for another, no matter what I use I quickly run into a control-awkwardness wall.

The JG Man
18-07-2011, 06:52 PM
Dead Space 2 was a pleasant surprise, better than I anticipated. They did what you should do with sequels: fix the problems with the previous game, and expand the game but not change the core gameplay.

Despite the fact it was no different to 1, DS2 felt more linear. Perhaps because in 1 the setting was a spaceship, so you felt limited for movement anyhow and accepted it, but I really felt like it was just going around in a circle here. Not to mention the silly random-window-that-breaks sequences that I found more annoying than well implemented (if you're standing in the wrong part of the room and the enemies manage to break it, you have almost no recourse to close the shutter in time. That's not exhilarating gameplay, it's simply frustrating in creating repetition).

The last third played up to any sense of horror element the franchise was supposed to have. The chase sequence at the end that many bemoaned I loved. The necessity of speed and the pressure that if you didn't move quickly enough you were screwed was very fun and extremely well done. I felt the pressure pushing me through. The rest of the time, the game (and the same with DS1) just gave you too much damn time to do fights. Even against the Stalkers/Raptor things you could give yourself almost unlimited time.

What the game needed to do was be more intelligent in its decisions...MASSIVE SPOILERS INCOMING:

At the end when you have Nicole appearing normally, along with the entirety of the Ishimura playing with your memory of it, the notion of what was real was done amazingly and I really really lauded the approach.

SPOILERS OVER. With Dead Space 3 being something of an inevitability, I hope they play up to this part more. The game can really really play the horror element well when it puts its mind to it. The gameplay is, for all intended purposes, where it wants to be. Hell, if they replace horror with a survival element and you give me 10-15 hours of what I found most exciting about the game, DS3 would be an absolutely fantastic game for me to play. Also, less linear.

Similar
18-07-2011, 07:00 PM
I liked my army, I really did. But eventually all of that trekking about to replenish made me throw in the towel and recruit 90% of my army from what was at hand in whatever map I was on at the time. And the game's flow improved, and fun was restored. A good part of that fun was learning successful tactics with units that I normally wouldn't have picked.
I'm doing the same in Armored Princess, though I've kind of had to too because once I find a nice mix of one race, I run out of places to buy the units. Right now, 43 hours into the game, it's sort of verging on, but never really reaching the point where it becomes a chore to play; there's always something new, even though it's kind of more of the same. And watching my pet dragon gets its snail stuck on its head and trying to get it off still makes me smile.
Having serious problems with the bosses, though. They're really not easy.

SirKicksalot
19-07-2011, 03:17 AM
Quake 4. The first couple of levels are... well, competent and uninteresting. 90 minutes in it turns into an awesome and beautiful shooter. I always wondered what the hell happened. I mean, the first mission is to haul ass back to the start of the level, and then return. The fuck? You waste 10 minutes going through the exact same corridors. Not a good initial impression...

Anyway, wasn't Ritual developing an expansion for this, and when it tanked they incorporated a new weapon, a game mode and some other stuff in a patch?

Ian
19-07-2011, 09:20 AM
I actually really liked Quake 4, alot more than Doom 3.

EDIT: In Planescape: Torment I just recruited Ignus into the party*. Dear me, he's as mental as a sack of badgers, isn't he?

* Which marked the first time I've had to choose a party member to not be with me at all times. Was tricky. :(

Wooly Wugga Wugga
19-07-2011, 06:16 PM
What annoyed me the most during my recent attempts at that game was that I could for the love of god not manage to stay hidden from enemies, even during the first mission with five ranks in the stealth skill. There has to be something I am doing terribly wrong. Even when crouched, guards (in towers and on even ground) suddenly started shooting, at which point I always panicked, setting the whole base to alarm mode. Unintended flying rolls out of cover right into the path of a guard didn't help much either. I'm a bad spy.

I think what gets people is that Alpha Protocol doesn't have game stealth. It has a refreshingly realistic approach most of the time. You can't just hide behind a waist high wall and expect a guard on a first floor balcony looking in your direction not to spot you. I started really enjoying the stealth when I figured out that sometimes it was just not possible to sneak all the way through a level without being detected and I started using stealth to get me into a strategically superior position in order to win a firefight.

cjlr
19-07-2011, 06:40 PM
I liked Alpha Protocol. It was fun. There was a timecube joke. I never had a problem with mouse and keyboard controls - the hacking was bad but it wasn't really all that hard, just hard to get used to how laggy it was. Maybe I'm crazy, but I fiercely recall there being a walk button, too. Hmm. Stealth was nice, I agree with WWW that it's refreshingly easy to be spotted if you're not careful. As in, you can't hide behind a railing. It gets really easy when you get Ghostwalk, or whatever that stealth ability is called. I know it's not actually Ghostwalk, but it might as well be. The 'x seconds undetected unless you attack' ability. Plus, chain shot or whatever the pistol ability was got op fast; I only ever used it on bosses to keep things a little more interesting.

Also: it was far too easy to do a no-kill playthrough. And far too inconsequential. I spent a lot of work punching people out and using only tranq darts but nobody seemed to care. The only exception is that damn helicopter at the end. Maybe I should replay that game - it branches a fair bit, yeah? - but I'm pretty sure I learned just about everything possible in a single playthrough the first time. Might be interesting to try for a new ladyfriend.

Also: that was one of the only games to cold reboot my computer. Like, hardcore brick wall type crashes. No aftereffects, but quite worrying.

Anyway, what have I actually been playing? Europa Barbarorum, my friends. Back in the action after a long break.
The single greatest mod ever produced. EB is to vanilla Rome: Total War as the Sistine Chapel is to Piss Christ.

Doesn'tmeananything
19-07-2011, 07:38 PM
I feel like I'm becoming tired of gaming. It's not that I don't want to play PC games any more, I'm just rarely enthralled by a game. So, in search of new experiences my log of stuff I play at the moment is the following mess:

M&B Warband, BFBC2, Mass Effect 2, Divine Divinity, Fallout 2, Baldur's Gate Trilogy, Gemini Rue, Aquaria, Alpha Protocol, Beyond Good and Evil, Arcanum, Beneath a Steel Sky, Icewind Dale, Tomb Raider Anniversary, Two Worlds and Spelunky.

The problem is that I can't concentrate on a single game. And that incessant switching from one title to the other is exhausting.

I heard that that 'outside' thing is pretty good, maybe I should try it instead.

Heliocentric
19-07-2011, 08:22 PM
Just don't try fighting rats, unlike real mmo rats "outside's" rats will fuck you up.

moth bones
19-07-2011, 08:53 PM
I've been dying a lot in Terraria, and been too tired to work out how to play Eufloria. Maybe I should find another game that ends in 'ria'.

Dominic Tarason
19-07-2011, 09:07 PM
I think what gets people is that Alpha Protocol doesn't have game stealth. It has a refreshingly realistic approach most of the time.

Stealth in Alpha Protocol generally works a bit like a Metal Gear Solid game on the highest difficulty setting, where enemies actually have semi-realistic vision ranges. It doesn't matter how many points you have in stealth - if you're walking out in an open courtyard in front of a guard on overwatch, he WILL see you. Stealth as a stat affects the noise you make (at very high stealth, you can run at full speed and not alert a guard even if you're right behind him) and slightly changes the response time of enemies that see you. You can afford to be briefly seen, but still, stand around and you'll get shot.

It's possible to ghost almost the whole game if you're careful.

SirKicksalot
19-07-2011, 10:11 PM
Alpha Protocol's realistic stealth is destroyed by the bullshit invisibility skill.

ichbinspikeface
19-07-2011, 11:57 PM
i made a new years resolution this year, which i have mostly adhered to, to only ever play 3 games simultaneously, and only one of said games can be a re-play through. last year i had the 20 games at once disease and it was reducing my ability to really intensely enjoy any of them, aside from the ones seemingly designed with me in mind. the 3 games only trick has done wonders for my gaming... outside there are small white dogs and bees and australian rednecks... never leave your cave.

incidently, i just finished ego draconis, and after a rocky start i ended up quite liking it. even the ending, which appears to have pissed a bunch of mofo's off... and with the joy of a large tax return, i'm getting a sexy GPU (decided to do so the day of skyrim announcement) to play the best lookin' games i can find! witcher 2 is first on the list!

NecroKnight
20-07-2011, 12:57 PM
Assassin's Creed 2

SirKicksalot
20-07-2011, 07:11 PM
I think I broke Fallout: New Vegas. The main quest doesn't update anymore. I'm pretty sure I know which decision got me stuck in a dialogue loophole with Mr. House... But I mostly relied on quicksaves, so I have to replay a couple of hours and I don't really want to do that. And I liked the path I was going down on, I'm upset the game doesn't seem to aknowledge my decisions.

I suppose I could just play sidequests for 300 hours, but the main story is awesome... Hrngh.

Heliocentric
20-07-2011, 08:37 PM
Assassin's Creed 2

THIS.
Oh my god, will this game never end? I look at the map after buying the treasure maps from the art shop and cry at the hundreds of hours of "content" i need to hungrily hunt.

CWalker
20-07-2011, 08:47 PM
Just got off of a truly brilliant Hockey? game there. Egg scored 3 goals, I got 2, nearly got another and assisted in a beautiful StrangLove shot. Best fun I've had in a first person sports game for ages!

vinraith
20-07-2011, 08:51 PM
THIS.
Oh my god, will this game never end? I look at the map after buying the treasure maps from the art shop and cry at the hundreds of hours of "content" i need to hungrily hunt.

There' your problem. It's not like you actually need any of that money, you know, you get plenty in the course of just playing the game normally.

Similar
20-07-2011, 08:58 PM
Just finished the main campaign of King's Bounty: Armored Princess in 56.2 hours according to Steam. I could have dragged it out a bit, but I skipped some side quests because I didn't want to work for demons and such. Might do those on the inevitable second play through. Excellent game.

8-bit
20-07-2011, 11:14 PM
I have been playing my console toy today 0.0 ....no wait don't kick me out, its going to be on PC so its ok for me to talk about it right? anyway, I have two points I would like to make.

1) bastion is brilliant fun and we should all buy it when it gets released on pc.
2) every game would be better with a narrator like this.

The JG Man
20-07-2011, 11:23 PM
Just finished Mass Effect 2 for the fourth time (first on PC) using a Male paragon I stole from a save state site. It's still so immensely satisfying saving everyone, sticking it to TIM and just cleaning house. So, god damn satisfying. The final hour of that game is just so remarkably good and I don't care if the last boss is a little bit silly, they nail the tone and get that feeling just right. Normandy is bad ass, Shepard is bad ass, their team is bad ass. So damn good.

To reiterate, I am saying Mass Effect 2 is an excellent game.

airtekh
21-07-2011, 12:51 AM
Just started Stalker: Call of Pripyat.

I loved Shadow of Chernobyl so I'm really excited for this one as it seems to be held in high regard. I've installed the Complete mod and it looks lovely, though oddly it doesn't look as good as SoC + Complete, or maybe my memory is playing tricks on me.

The first emission happened literally 5 minutes into my playtime and just threw me into a complete panic. I just jabbed a finger at the 'show map' key and sprinted to the nearest secure area to avoid being seared to a crisp. I'm hooked already.

I'm getting an annoying crash every time I die though, and I can't seem to get rid of it. I'll just have to be careful I guess.

SirKicksalot
21-07-2011, 02:56 AM
Finished Quake 4. Very fun game. Peter Stormare's performance as Johann Strauss is legendary.
Installing Wolfenstein now...

Heliocentric
21-07-2011, 08:37 AM
There' your problem. It's not like you actually need any of that money, you know, you get plenty in the course of just playing the game normally.

I don't want the money, I want the clear map. OCD.

Casimir Effect
21-07-2011, 11:11 AM

You're letting yourself in for a metric fucktonne of pain then. Treasure boxes are easy - at least they get marked on a map. But then there are the feathers, which don't get marked. Then the smaller things like the statues at your villa. And you can never completely clear the map because all the assassination and race quests are just randomized I think.
But at least you'll be getting your moneys worth and, although I hate collectible finding in games, AC2 is a game in which it is fun to simply move around. There are few better in this respect.

Squiz
21-07-2011, 02:23 PM
Just finished the main campaign of King's Bounty: Armored Princess in 56.2 hours according to Steam. I could have dragged it out a bit, but I skipped some side quests because I didn't want to work for demons and such. Might do those on the inevitable second play through. Excellent game.

I had planned to get into that game again after setting up my new PC (since my laptop had some issues running it smoothly). Then I found out that I get major brightness issues - the yellow and white colours are just too bright, it's like Super-Siesta-Apocalypse-Time in KB-land. I don't get any brightness issues or strange colours in other games and adjusting contrast and / or brightness on my screen didn't help either. :(

Tikey
21-07-2011, 03:22 PM
I'm playing Mass Effect 2, but I'm thinking of taking a break from it and start playing Just Cause 2,. I need some silly fun.

vinraith
21-07-2011, 03:22 PM

As Casimir says, you're in for a world of hurt, better to let it go. It's a fun game for the length of time the story lasts, but pushing it past that to collect those bullshit feathers would easily make it twice that length, and no fun at all.

On thread topic:

Mount and Blade:Warband (though I'm getting irritated by the fact that my twitch skills are still so predominant in personal combat, and they suck)

Wars in America (also following a brilliant learning AAR: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?545321-Wars-in-America-A-how-to-AAR&goto=newpost)

Sword of the Stars (it just doesn't get old)

Heliocentric
21-07-2011, 03:58 PM
I found those statues in 10 minutesc once I realised what I was looking for, I'm finding feathers are easy to spot when high up with magic/thermal/beer goggles/eagle vision.

Mostly I'm just hopping from one task too another with minions in tow. Thieves are ace, using them to draw away guards is so refreshing in an age of game simplification by funneling.

The JG Man
21-07-2011, 06:14 PM
The collect-a-thons in AC2 really are a padder. The bizarre thing is the game already lasts a good bit of time if you follow main side-quests and the story anyhow, so why they thought it'd be a good idea to add them in is a bit beyond me.

Similar
21-07-2011, 07:06 PM
I had planned to get into that game again after setting up my new PC (since my laptop had some issues running it smoothly). Then I found out that I get major brightness issues - the yellow and white colours are just too bright, it's like Super-Siesta-Apocalypse-Time in KB-land. I don't get any brightness issues or strange colours in other games and adjusting contrast and / or brightness on my screen didn't help either. :(
Weird. I don't have any problems like that, but maybe I'm saved by my graphics card; it's an aging 256mb. 8600GS, so it's from around the time the game was made. I've only turned AA and Aniso down to make it run smoothly (-ish), never touched the other settings.
I did have another older game act like you describe, but I have no idea if the problems were due to drivers or cards or what. Nor what to do about it, sadly.

ETA: hm. Just remembered that I can't play World in Conflict anymore; the screen first goes black when the map has loaded and then if I hit Escape a couple of times, I do see the level, but there are no units, not even my own, so I can't do anything. I suspect that must be due to a graphics driver update since I used to be able to play that game on this exact same system.

8-bit
21-07-2011, 08:08 PM
I just spent ten minutes walking around an empty server in tf2. no sorry thats not quite right, the server was full I just couldn't find my team, I heard gunshots and microphone chatter, but no team.

red? were are you red team?

I couldn't find blue team either come to think of it. :(

Squiz
22-07-2011, 07:35 AM
@8-bit: This could be a known bug with alt-tabbing to desktop. When you get back to TF2, sometimes your enemies become invisible. Maybe you were lucky that nobody found you. :)

@Similar: Strange, after posting about that issue yesterday (which I had planned to do for quite some time but never got around to do it) I fired up KB:AP again. And the bright colours were gone. I know that the problem persisted over several weeks, so it probably was no temporary issue. I think that I had updated my graphics driver in between though (it was pretty much up-to-date anyways, but who knows). In addition, I bought and installed Crossworlds, which also updates AP, so maybe the apparent fix got implemented that way. Anyhow, I am really happy about the whole afair. AP runs smoothly now, allowing me to react much faster and precisely on the world map than before. :)

Anthile
22-07-2011, 09:19 AM
Played some more TF2 as Medic. Turns out, the Medic achievements are ridiculously hard to get. Whenever I kritz somebody, they mostly just stare at me and when they actually do realize what great boon I have bestowed upon them, there just aren't enough enemies around to be killed. Kritzing a Scout is pretty crazy though, as the crits negate any damage falloff. Need to find a decent Scout with the Crit-A-Cola. This really shouldn't be so difficult.

Similar
22-07-2011, 01:09 PM
@Similar: Strange, after posting about that issue yesterday (which I had planned to do for quite some time but never got around to do it) I fired up KB:AP again. And the bright colours were gone. I know that the problem persisted over several weeks, so it probably was no temporary issue. I think that I had updated my graphics driver in between though (it was pretty much up-to-date anyways, but who knows). In addition, I bought and installed Crossworlds, which also updates AP, so maybe the apparent fix got implemented that way. Anyhow, I am really happy about the whole afair. AP runs smoothly now, allowing me to react much faster and precisely on the world map than before. :)
Great you got it to work. I've always had Crossworlds and it gets installed automatically by Steam, so maybe that's what has saved me.

8-bit
22-07-2011, 01:10 PM
@8-bit: This could be a known bug with alt-tabbing to desktop. When you get back to TF2, sometimes your enemies become invisible. Maybe you were lucky that nobody found you. :)

yes, a bug, that sounds a lot better then thinking that they were all avoiding me. :)

in other news I started Terraria last night, I think it says a lot about me that the first thing I did was build a house under a hill with a monster trap above it. not sure what it says about me, just that it probably does say something.

cosmicolor
22-07-2011, 01:53 PM
Played some more TF2 as Medic. Turns out, the Medic achievements are ridiculously hard to get. Whenever I kritz somebody, they mostly just stare at me and when they actually do realize what great boon I have bestowed upon them, there just aren't enough enemies around to be killed. Kritzing a Scout is pretty crazy though, as the crits negate any damage falloff. Need to find a decent Scout with the Crit-A-Cola. This really shouldn't be so difficult.

Personally I feel that the best dudes to Kritz are either soldiers or heavies, soldiers for the splash damage potential and heavies for their health and the fact that you're guaranteed to kill something. I'd say that Kritzing a Pyro can work in close quarters, but that and anything else is risky because of the other classes's lower health and thus increased chance of getting killed before the Kritz can do anything. Kritzed demos are good for sentries too, provided that they can aim.

Make sure you communicate with them too, if possible, lead them to as big a group of enemies as is safe/possible before you fire it.

8-bit
22-07-2011, 03:57 PM
I just had a quick play on altitude and it seems there has been a big update, it looks like it has brought a lot of people back to the game too, at least for now anyway. if you have it then you are pretty much guaranteed to get a game with the number of servers that have just filled up with players today.

airtekh
22-07-2011, 04:55 PM
I just had a quick play on altitude and it seems there has been a big update, it looks like it has brought a lot of people back to the game too, at least for now anyway. if you have it then you are pretty much guaranteed to get a game with the number of servers that have just filled up with players today.

There's a free weekend on Steam at the moment and the game is half price too.

Edawan
22-07-2011, 08:05 PM
I started playing Assassin's Creed. So far I like it, but it really has the most ridiculous way of quitting the game that I've seen.

If you're in a mission and want to quit the game properly you have to :
- hit escape
- chose quit the sequence
- are you sure ? y/n
loading... back to the hub
- chose quit the animus
watch an animation of your character getting out of the animus
- hit escape
- chose quit
- are you sure ? y/n
loading... back to the title screen
- press any key
- chose a profile
- chose quit
- are you sure ? y/n
yay! back to windows!

Tikey
22-07-2011, 08:08 PM
I've heard that alt-f4 works like charm. I haven't played so I can't confirm.

airtekh
22-07-2011, 08:11 PM
@Edawan

Tikey's right. Alt + F4 ftw.

Edawan
22-07-2011, 08:28 PM
I know that. That's why I specified "properly". :)

8-bit
22-07-2011, 09:02 PM
There's a free weekend on Steam at the moment and the game is half price too.

haven't been on steam since the summer sale ended, I was also playing on my regular server before and there weren't any new players so I didn't know. if its free then everyone should come play at least once this weekend, its like playing football but with planes, and you get to shoot people at the same time.

Heliocentric
22-07-2011, 09:24 PM
@edawan I just pull out the plug, one step.

Squiz
22-07-2011, 09:33 PM
I gave Mass Effect 2 a whirl again. My first impressions as a female Vamguard haven't been very positive, but that was mostly due to the shooty parts. It seems that I am not made for the upfront-blasting fighting style. So I imported a character save from ME1 (again female, but this time I changed my class), Adept. Really fun whirling people around and sucking them out of cover (Singularity is hard to aim though, gets obstructed a lot). The scanning mini game might get grindy, but I am prepared for that.

The biggest annoyance up until now was getting stuck in the terrain, i.e. friggin cables hanging from the ceiling! How do manage to get entangled in this stuff? Had to reload while heavily cursing.

NecroKnight
22-07-2011, 11:12 PM
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.:Call of Pripyat

Ciber
22-07-2011, 11:14 PM
Been playing the Alpha of a big game lots of people like me are really looking forward to. But I can't tell you about it!

Casimir Effect
22-07-2011, 11:29 PM
I gave Mass Effect 2 a whirl again. My first impression as a female Vamguard haven't been very positive, but that was mostly due to the shooty parts. It seems I am not made for the upfront-blasting fighting style. So I imported a character save from ME1 (again female, but this time I changed my class), Adept. Really fun whirling people around and sucking them out of cover (Singularity is hard to aim though, gets obstructed a lot). The scanning mini game might get grindy, but I am prepared for that.

The biggest annoyance up until now was getting stuck in the terrain, i.e. friggin cables hanging from the ceiling! How do manage to get entangled in this stuff? Had to reload while heavily cursing.

I didn't like my Vanguard in ME2 at first but then I picked Barrier as my bonus skill and discovered Charge. This makes things fun in a Mongolian clusterfuck kind of way. Barrier up, switch to shotgun, find far away enemy, use Charge on them. It can be used while in cover and phases through all objects in the way. As soon as it hits just start unloading shotgun and melee bashes into the bastard, preferably while giggling. Otherwise rely on the heavy pistol - the more powerful 6-shot one. Need to try and Adept myself sometime, but my next class lined up from ME1 is an Infiltrator.

OT: I have no idea what to play right now. Just finished Alpha Protocol and have lots on at the moment so can't motivate myself to start something as I won't be able to give it much attention. Might start up something like a HOMM5 or King's Bounty, tempted by Operation Flashpoint 2: Dragon Rising as I've just finished watching Generation Kill but I had some *issues* during the tutorial.

Kadayi
23-07-2011, 01:03 AM
I heard that that 'outside' thing is pretty good, maybe I should try it instead.

No the frame rate is terrible, the anti-aliasing is awful and there's no respawning. Play Deus Ex again instead.

Squiz
23-07-2011, 01:31 AM
@Casimir: King's Bounty is a great series in my opinion, but the gameplay can get a bit exhausting after a while. Given the length of the campaigns, I usually disperse a few hours here and there between my "usual" gaming foci.

sinomatic
23-07-2011, 01:41 AM
No the frame rate is terrible, the anti-aliasing is awful and there's no respawning. Play Deus Ex again instead.

Wise, wise words.

Giaddon
23-07-2011, 02:41 AM
That Superbrothers: Sword and Sworcery whatsit for the iPad. It's good, but man the iPad is a poor platform for gaming. Holding the thing, pecking at the screen, rotating... Ugh.

Flint
23-07-2011, 09:12 AM
Began to enjoy my Steam sale boons now. At the moment frolicking in Fallout: New Vegas, which so far (about 19 hours played) seems to be like Fallout 3 except it's good. The interface and controlling clunkiness is still there but Obsidian's improved on every single other aspect that went wrong with F3 so I'm happy.

Although I kinda wish you could recruit followers even when your group is full and just have them stay put/be sent somewhere to wait for your call so I wouldn't have to spend time dismissing my old companion, recruiting the new one, telling him to wait and fetching my former companion from halfway across the desert again whenever I spot a new potential party member. But that's a minor niggle.

LutherBlissett
23-07-2011, 09:57 AM
Precursors Fan Improvement Pack from Beamdog... Awesome!

elephant god
23-07-2011, 10:18 AM
I'm playing the original Stalker. I just got the F2000 and am on my way to an alledged antenna or satellite dish or something. I'm an ecologist and have a nice eco-suit with the best values that I've seen so far, but the Monolith guys and especially the radiation there is currently killing me. the suit automatically administers anti-rad dosages and just burns through them..

I'm really looking forward to playing Metro2033 and Stalker Call of Pripyat afterwards, though!

Drake Sigar
23-07-2011, 12:43 PM
Currently playing Hogs of War. It’s like the Worms games, except with pigs, puns, and Rik Mayall.

8-bit
23-07-2011, 07:44 PM
Although I kinda wish you could recruit followers even when your group is full and just have them stay put/be sent somewhere to wait for your call so I wouldn't have to spend time dismissing my old companion, recruiting the new one, telling him to wait and fetching my former companion from halfway across the desert again whenever I spot a new potential party member. But that's a minor niggle.

I think there is a mod for that, or something similar at least. it lets you have as many companions as you want, cant remember the name but its probably in the companion section of the nvnexus.

Ciber
23-07-2011, 07:46 PM
Had another go at Test Drive Unlimited 2. Even the Veyron at 200+ mph doesn't feel that fast or exciting. Are there any mods for this game that make it feel or look better?

Squiz
23-07-2011, 09:56 PM
So, Magicka. I am currently playing through Adventure Mode together with a friend. Chapter 6 was hell, partly because during the boss fight(s) the game crashed for me (the host) and we had to fight through the whole level again - twice. :/

The JG Man
24-07-2011, 01:46 AM
Started up STALKER: Shadows of Chernobyl (and Complete mod) again tonight. I kept dying near the middle in what is clearly the tutorial section. So used to having checkpoints that having to quick save seemed a bit foreign. A bit more into it now, with a better clue of what on earth I'm doing. Liking it though. Think I've got to the point where I can start beginning really to bite down on it.

squirrel
24-07-2011, 06:48 AM
Very happy that S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is appreciated so much here. I bought the SOC day one with full retail price and it worths every penny I spent on it. Look forward to play Nardonaya Soljanka mod mentioned here before, have downloaded it but I cannot find the English translation mod for it (the only download link I found is on Megaupload and it bans access from my city, seems like some of bot-downloading practices by my dear countrymen angered Megaupload, damn).

Clear Sky, on the other hand, was a cheat of money. It simply recycled materials from SOC and added a few new things. Plus, things starting from the Hospital level is super linear. The only good thing is faction war.

Currently, for online, I am playing Battlefield Bad Company 2. I guess not much I can add for comment there.

For singleplayer, I am playing The Witcher 2 and a Chinese RPG that I dont know how to translate its name in English, something like "Saga of Strange Hero Wielding Magical Sword 5". A turn-based Chinese style RPG series by Taiwan since MS-DOS day. Well-known by its passionate love story and crazy or even hell like mazes.

vinraith
25-07-2011, 05:19 AM
Still playing Sword of the Stars in multi, still learning Wars in America in SP.

I'm getting frustrated with M&B Warband, too many functionally impossible quests, unwinnable and unavoidable fights, and then there's the fact that I'm just not very good at the combat. It's a neat game but the rough edges are really starting to wear at this point, I'm not sure I'm going to make it past the early vassal stage. Are there any "fix" mods out there I should be aware of? I looked at Floris (which was suggested earlier) but it seems to mostly be a "stuff" mod, and I don't really care about that.

While I'm asking stupid questions, I remember the reviews and word of mouth around Dark Messiah being very negative at the time of its release, but lately it seems to be getting more positive press. Is it worth going back and playing this? I've been sitting on a copy for ages but never played past the tutorial. Also, how linear is it?

Oak
25-07-2011, 05:33 AM
I have looked like this all weekend:

http://i.imgur.com/kTd5p.jpg

Because I finally took the (hilariously negligible) time to learn how to play Armageddon Empires. I should be slapped for waiting all these years. It is wonderful.

Ian
25-07-2011, 09:42 AM
AE is top.

The one thing I really wish it had was a built in-function to create more armies.

EDIT: And still powering through Planescape. Anybody like me who struggled to get some momentum in the game, I can only advise you much the same as you'll have read elsewhere that once it gets going it's cracking. Judging by how many areas I've not done in Gamebanshee's list (I've resorted to the walkthrough on a couple of occasions, once when it turned out trying to work out an issue myself would be futile as the game had likely fucked me over and I had to edit my save file.)

That and Defense Grid which is starting to offer some interesting maps, largely involving wide open spaces where you have to decide the best path to guide the bads through.

Heliocentric
25-07-2011, 11:27 AM
If you own dark messiah play it, I recommend stealth daggers, magic heal, mana regeneration, fireball. fighting the final boss and other stuff like spiders without infinite fireballs is a bad idea, but pure magic sucks because of it being boring. And stealth one hit kill back stabs are ace.

Ian
25-07-2011, 11:42 AM
I liked stealth in Dark Messiah right up until a few moments where you seem to have to stand and fight and promtly get utterly gimped. I liked fightin' with a few powerful magic abilities rather than spreading my abilities too much.

Mihkel
25-07-2011, 11:48 AM
Old World Blues

sinomatic
25-07-2011, 12:04 PM
My vague rememberings of Dark Messiah seem to centre around kicking lots of bad men off cliffs or into very sharp spikes. Or throwing out magical ice on the ground and watching them slip to their doom. Linear and the story was lacking, but made up for by the various ridiculous and satisfying ways to kill people.

Ian
25-07-2011, 12:30 PM
Yeah, I eventually sort of forced myself to ignore the fact that the world seemed to be made of spike racks and try to kill people in more inventive ways. Slippery ice paths are fun as is picking corpses with telekinesis and lobbing them at their mates.

Herzog
25-07-2011, 06:45 PM
Wanted to play some singleplayer games. Instead I started playing QW again. Everybody else should do so too!

www.nquake.com

Play more QuakeWorld!

Similar
25-07-2011, 09:10 PM
Giving Metro 2033 another try (the first time I gave up early on due to a check point save that meant I couldn't go on and had to start all over. Which made me hate checkpoint saving even more than I already did).
It's a very annoying game because it has some excellent things about it, the weapons and the atmosphere and such, and is highly enjoyable, but weird glitches and inconsistencies really ruin the fun at times.
Right now I'm struggling with the second excursion to the surface. There's a nazi ranger base right where you get out and I killed all the nazis without problems. And then died because my gasmask seemed to use up filters way more quickly than it otherwise had (no, it's not damaged) and there had been nowhere to buy filters for ages either and very few that could be looted off corpses.
Kind of suspect I'll have to go back to a far earlier chapter to get enough filters. Not quite sure I have the patience for that.

Hensler
25-07-2011, 09:49 PM
Playing Two Worlds 2, and I'm about to give up on it. It seems like there is a good game here somewhere, but it's completely buried under a ton of things I hate, especially the interface.

TheLastBaron
26-07-2011, 03:44 AM
BBeen playing alot of Killing Floor today. I got it in the potato sack (which I bought before any of the Portal 2 stuff happened because at it was it was an awesome deal), but never really got around to playing it much because I felt L4D2 was as good as I needed in a team zombie killing game. As it turns out I love KF and it scratches a different itch entirely. The leveling up and classes are very different from L4D where everyone is the same basic human character, and rather than trying to progress through the map you are trying to just survive waves and move about each time following the vendor and setting up to defend the waves. As someone who loves tower defense games I almost get the same feeling when I'm with a group of 5 other people and we have the support specialist weld a door closed and have a berserker and commando head off a corridor with a sharpshooter down at the end with a medic and a firebug in between helping out.

Olero
26-07-2011, 03:06 PM
Played Magicka for the very first time! Great game, and a hard one to master. I keep confusing the mouse buttons, which caused some hilarious deaths. I'm currently in the 3 level of the singleplayer campaign, but those beastmen keep slaughtering me :( I'm not yet frustrated, which is a good thing (I think Super Meat Boy increased my limit in restarting levels and resistance to frustration quite a lot!). I love the Scandinavian jibberish language they put in the game and chuckle a lot when playing. I really can't wait to play this multiplayer!

hamster
26-07-2011, 03:08 PM
Very happy that S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is appreciated so much here. I bought the SOC day one with full retail price and it worths every penny I spent on it. Look forward to play Nardonaya Soljanka mod mentioned here before, have downloaded it but I cannot find the English translation mod for it (the only download link I found is on Megaupload and it bans access from my city, seems like some of bot-downloading practices by my dear countrymen angered Megaupload, damn).

Use Jdownloader. It bypasses regional restrictions for megaupload.

Squiz
26-07-2011, 08:37 PM
@Olero: Maybe consider playing it with a friend in Multiplayer. The game is clearly made for this and makes things - mostly - easier and even more hilarious. Me and my mate are in Chapter 9 (?) and we encoutered some beastly fights up until now.

Proceeding with my plan of clearing my backlog. Just finished Mass Effect 2 and found it to be a good game. It made me laugh, it made me frown (SPOILER I lost one of my crew members, although I can't say how I could have avoided thatSPOILER END), it had some great small stories to tell, it had some funny dialogues. Granted, the main story didn't impress me that much, but it was enough to carry me through the missions.

Back when I started playing ME1 I had some trouble dealing with Shepard's over-the-top badass portrayal and that hasn't changed much in the second game. What I would have liked to see were some additional dialogue options and possibilities to influence Shepard's character.

Now I am wondering if I should start a second game for kicks, but I think that can wait...

JayTee
26-07-2011, 08:52 PM
Just got back into Fallout 3 after buying Fallout NV in that Direct2Drive sale a while back, so have sunk a good few hours into that recently. Just got my first decent haul on my F3 character, snuck up and headshot a merc and walked away with ~1.5k caps worth of gear which should solve the impending problem of not being able to afford ammo. Only level 4 in F3 so at this point caps and every bullet I can scrounge from the wasteland is important.

Quite interesting playing F3 and FNV at the same time, there are things in both games that annoy me. I much prefer the crafting, particularly the ability to break down ammo and churn it into other ammo, in FNV and so far I'm finding the combat more enjoyable. Though that's probably because I've kitted my character out with a sheriff hat, a lever-action rifle, a magnum revolver and a cool coat so I'm drifting around looking awesome while I off ne'er-do-wells. The new skills system with 'guns' covering everything from a revolver to a minigun is more pleasing, and the melee combat is definitely more satisfying.

Conversely I find the UI in FNV to be rubbish, I miss the pretty awesome DarnUI from F3 which made it look less like console rubbish and I could read more than 3 lines at once. I also prefer the 'setting' of F3, while the nameless courier aspect of FNV reminds me somewhat of STALKER (Which I really should get around to finishing...) I've always loved the Vaults aspect of the Fallout universe so I enjoy being a 'Vault-y' more.

Any thoughts from the Great Unwashed on the FNV DLC? I've got The Pitt and Broken Steel for F3 (Played Pitt on a previous character, love that DLC) but I've not yet picked up any of the FNV DLC.

Hensler
27-07-2011, 02:02 AM
Just bought STALKER and am streaming that and the Complete mod down the pipe right now. I've heard good things.

ichbinspikeface
27-07-2011, 02:53 AM
hey here's something that's always bugged me: i really want to enjoy call of pripyat, but it's as if 'anomolies' aren't working properly or something... i can find them, but i can't do anything with them... i watched youtube video's of people just running in and scooping 'em up, but i just get killed??!?!?!?! is there some trick, or special doohickey i need?

SirKicksalot
27-07-2011, 06:06 AM
Maybe buy a better artifact detector? Or just stand and watch them carefully. After a while you'll be able to navigate them relatively easy.

I finally played Enslaved on the PS3, a game I bought back in 2010. I finished it this morning.
Enslaved is the best game of 2010, and nothing in 2011 comes even close to it. This is an objective truth. It's bloody amazing.

It also needs a PC port, because the fantastic art style and incredible mo-cap performances are hidden under a ton of jaggies, pop-in and bad shadows. And it's not even one of those console titles that need a controller, goddamn Darksiders is more complicated than this... Fucking Namco, they should have pushed for a PC version of Enslaved! I doubt PC gamers would ignore such an incredible gem, it really is something special.

Doesn'tmeananything
27-07-2011, 07:09 AM
Conversely I find the UI in FNV to be rubbish, I miss the pretty awesome DarnUI from F3 which made it look less like console rubbish and I could read more than 3 lines at once.

You would be glad to know that DarN has also made a similar mod (http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1138795-wipzbeta-darnified-ui-nv/) for NV. Granted, it's still in the beta, and DarN himself seemed to have stopped working on it, but the mod already changes all the menus, adds some minor enhancements to PipBoy and has no bugs that I know of. I think DarN was planning to go further with NV iteration of his mod which means that while this is, admittedly, the beta version, it nevertheless retains all the features of its FO3 analogue. You will definitely enjoy it.

Similar
27-07-2011, 11:17 AM
gr. As mentioned earlier, I've been playing Metro 2033 (and I did start over from the beginning, and it was actually more enjoyable the second time around) and am at the Library, about to meet the first Librarian. It's still a very annoying game, but now it's more because it's so linear and you're rarely allowed to explore (and rarely get a chance to spend all the ammo you've found on stocking up on, especially, filters, because none of the traders sell them).
What I really want is a Metro 2033 game with the freedom of S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

airtekh
27-07-2011, 11:56 AM
@ichbinspikeface

First off, artifacts and anomalies are two different things. Anomalies can kill you, while artifacts are worth a truckload of money and are well worth getting your hands on. However, as you are aware, you have to contend with the former to pick up the latter.

Artifacts are invisible until you are actually physically close to them, which means you have to rely on your artifact/anomaly detector. What sort of a detector are you using? 'Echo' is utterly crap, see if you can find a 'Bear' detector (scrounge some corpses of zombies, they sometimes have one, or buy one).

When you're near the anomalies, get out your detector and switch to your bolts (default '6' on the keyboard). If your detector indicates anomalies, throw the bolts out in front of you (there is an unlimited supply). If the bolt sets off an anomaly, you know you can't walk in that direction. Meanwhile, keep an eye on where the artifact is, as they keep moving around.

Navigate through the anomalies by throwing bolts (you may need to protect yourself from radiation, chemical or other hazards as well) until you are close to the artifact. When it appears, it gives off a big 'hissing' sound. Hold down your 'use' key and the name of the artifact will appear; then get close and scoop it up.

You can 'equip' artifacts to get various stat bonuses to your armour; but don't forget to de-equip them, as they almost always cause you to be irradiated. Sell them for megabucks.

Ciber
27-07-2011, 01:10 PM
Playing Mass Effect 2. I'm wondering why I can't turn down mouse / camera speed more. Is there a config file? Also wondering why it takes so long to load fairly small levels with simple graphics. On a fast SSD.

Hensler
27-07-2011, 02:44 PM
I've got a slow hard drive and had really quick load times with ME2. I remember being surprised by that, after the awfulness of the loading in the first game.

Squiz
27-07-2011, 03:22 PM
Playing Mass Effect 2. I'm wondering why I can't turn down mouse / camera speed more. Is there a config file? Also wondering why it takes so long to load fairly small levels with simple graphics. On a fast SSD. The issues with the mouse stem from bad porting on Bioware's side, I think. Both that and the problems with slow loading times can be circumvented, as described in the "PC Fixes" chapter of this FAQ (you can just ctrl+F for "PCF" if you don't want to risk a story spoiler):

http://db.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/file/mass_effect_2_insanity_a.txt

Edit: Wanted to add: The slow loading times are caused by unoptimized usage of multicore processors. So older systems might actually load faster than newer ones.

ichbinspikeface
27-07-2011, 04:32 PM
[QUOTE=airtekh;19383]@ichbinspikeface

When you're near the anomalies, get out your detector and switch to your bolts (default '6' on the keyboard). If your detector indicates anomalies, throw the bolts out in front of you (there is an unlimited supply). If the bolt sets off an anomaly, you know you can't walk in that direction. Meanwhile, keep an eye on where the artifact is, as they keep moving around.

Navigate through the anomalies by throwing bolts (you may need to protect yourself from radiation, chemical or other hazards as well) until you are close to the artifact. When it appears, it gives off a big 'hissing' sound. Hold down your 'use' key and the name of the artifact will appear; then get close and scoop it up.

QUOTE]

well, that certainly seems more detailed than what i was doing! thanks, time to give it another spin then.

Ciber
27-07-2011, 08:44 PM
The issues with the mouse stem from bad porting on Bioware's side, I think. Both that and the problems with slow loading times can be circumvented, as described in the "PC Fixes" chapter of this FAQ (you can just ctrl+F for "PCF" if you don't want to risk a story spoiler):

http://db.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/file/mass_effect_2_insanity_a.txt

Edit: Wanted to add: The slow loading times are caused by unoptimized usage of multicore processors. So older systems might actually load faster than newer ones.Thanks!

Wow, so complicated and all I want to do is tweak my mouselook speed. Bad game.

Skeletor68
28-07-2011, 11:00 AM
Currently playing Freespace 2 in the first spec ops/behind enemy lines mission. Modded to the gills (thank you hardlight). I finished Freespace one FSport and Silent Threat Reborn about a month ago and had a whale of a time. I'm using an Xbox controller (plus keyboard for more complicated commands) with xpadder software. It's a blast.

I've actually found FS2 to be more difficult so fa,r even though I'm playing on normal difficulty as before. Such a great game though.

airtekh
28-07-2011, 11:19 AM
@Skeletor68

Whoa, what now? Can you use a 360 controller with Freespace 2? I thought a joystick was mandatory?

Skeletor68
28-07-2011, 12:17 PM
@Skeletor68

Whoa, what now? Can you use a 360 controller with Freespace 2? I thought a joystick was mandatory?

It works perfectly, honestly. If you use Xpadder you can configure the buttons to whatever you want and having all the extra buttons is handy for FS. I usually map Primary/secondary fire to the triggers. Accelerate/decelerate to bumpers. Target, target hostile, match speed and afterburner to face buttons, countermeasures to select and ec to start. Obviously you will need keyboard if you want to give orders to other wings etc. but 90% of what you need will be on the pad.

This game plus mods= awesomeness!

airtekh
28-07-2011, 01:25 PM
Oh that sounds great!

I picked up Freespace 2 from a Gog sale a while ago and was putting off playing it until I got around to buying a joystick. Definitely going to give this a try, cheers!

Skeletor68
28-07-2011, 02:39 PM
Oh that sounds great!

I picked up Freespace 2 from a Gog sale a while ago and was putting off playing it until I got around to buying a joystick. Definitely going to give this a try, cheers!

I got them both on GOG a while back too. I can't remember if you need to buy FS1 to play the upgraded version but I got both of them on GOG, and the original campaign is well worth playing too.

http://www.hard-light.net/ Make sure to get the mods at this site, they've done some fantastic work. I think the Turey's Installer is what I used and it's very easy to set up so you can get better textures, jump up the resolution etc.

Enjoy!

Irishjohn
28-07-2011, 03:16 PM
http://www.hard-light.net/ Make sure to get the mods at this site, they've done some fantastic work. I think the Turey's Installer is what I used and it's very easy to set up so you can get better textures, jump up the resolution etc.

Enjoy!

Cheers for that, I had bought Freespace ages ago but not got around to playing it. I'll definitely check out the mods.

Skeletor68
28-07-2011, 03:41 PM
Cheers for that, I had bought Freespace ages ago but not got around to playing it. I'll definitely check out the mods.

No probs, fellow Irishman (I'm assuming).

I'm also still playing Witcher 1 and am finding it enjoyable, but a little slow paced at the moment. I'm in Act II which seems a bit sprawling and I seem to keeping going from area A to C without having done B and traipsing up and down Vizima.

hamster
28-07-2011, 04:22 PM
Just get Freespace 2. The mod @ hardlight includes the whole Freespace 1 campaign + redone expansion both with improved graphics.

vinraith
28-07-2011, 05:34 PM
I'm contemplating giving KOTOR a try. It passed me by in its day, and to be honest I've generally avoided any Star Wars franchise items since the prequels, but a good RPG with non-twitch combat is appealing right now. Is there anything I need to know about, mod-wise?

Tikey
28-07-2011, 05:51 PM
As far as I know Kotor the first is good enough without mods.
I don't remember finding anything interesting enough last time I played.
Kotor2 is where the modding is heavy.

SMiD
28-07-2011, 06:01 PM
Agreeing with Tikey here. The first KOTOR is perfectly fine by itself without modding. The only thing I'm unsure of is resolution support. I *think* KOTOR supports all common resolutions, but I'm not 100% on that.

Jahandar
28-07-2011, 06:09 PM
I am alternating between STALKER: Clear Sky, Dragon Age: Origins, and X3: Terran Conflict.

The great thing is they are such different games that each one is a refreshing break from the other whenever I switch :)

mR.Waffles
28-07-2011, 07:19 PM
KOTOR is definitely worth it. Sad the second one isn't available on steam. You can't explain that!

Tikey
28-07-2011, 07:26 PM
Is kotor 2 in ANY digital download service?
Tracking a physical copy is practically impossible

vinraith
28-07-2011, 07:31 PM
Is kotor 2 in ANY digital download service?
Tracking a physical copy is practically impossible

I got my copy of 2 off Amazon fairly recently for a reasonable price.

On that note, while I won't be playing it for awhile, what are the suggested mods for KOTOR 2?

Colonel J
28-07-2011, 07:46 PM
Agreeing with Tikey here. The first KOTOR is perfectly fine by itself without modding. The only thing I'm unsure of is resolution support. I *think* KOTOR supports all common resolutions, but I'm not 100% on that.

It doesn't have much resolution support, at least my unmodded Steam version. 1280 x 1024 is the max it supports. I played it in 1280x860 as the closest thing they have to 16:10.

Tikey
28-07-2011, 07:47 PM
I got my copy of 2 off Amazon fairly recently for a reasonable price.

On that note, while I won't be playing it for awhile, what are the suggested mods for KOTOR 2?

The Ultimate saber mod was a nice one.
I'd say to use one of the complete mods but I don't know if it's a good idea for a first run.
I tried the one mentioned in rps (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/09/29/kotor-2-restored-content-in-open-beta/)and it was a very nice until I ran into a bug near the end that didn't allow me to continue. So... yeah.
The link in the article isn't working anymore but I've found it around somewhere.

Edit: I've remembered that there are a lot of little fixes but If you use a complete mod they usually have them included.

Hensler
28-07-2011, 10:22 PM
The Ultimate saber mod was a nice one.
I'd say to use one of the complete mods but I don't know if it's a good idea for a first run.
I tried the one mentioned in rps (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/09/29/kotor-2-restored-content-in-open-beta/)and it was a very nice until I ran into a bug near the end that didn't allow me to continue. So... yeah.
The link in the article isn't working anymore but I've found it around somewhere.

Edit: I've remembered that there are a lot of little fixes but If you use a complete mod they usually have them included.

I've played through that Restored mod, and it was rock solid stable, so maybe it's been updated since you tried it.

NecroKnight
28-07-2011, 11:30 PM
Assassin's Creed:Brotherhood

cosmicolor
29-07-2011, 01:21 AM
For kotor 2 you only really need the official patches and the restoration mod, everything else is fluff.

Jams O'Donnell
29-07-2011, 10:14 AM
Finally getting into Call of Pripyat and getting over my irrational fear of Snorks.

Doodier
29-07-2011, 10:38 AM
I've started playing Alpha Protocol and I don't think I've ever seen such annoying mini-games as here! Hacking is awfull, especially on my low-end PC.
Oh and I don't know why, but sometimes when I'm looking around with my mouse the screen does this weird 180 spin. Really not cool when there is a guard you are trying to avoid :)

Ian
29-07-2011, 11:10 AM
I played AP with a pad. One of the mini-games is hilariously pointless with a mouse, another is (as far as I could see) nigh-impossible.

Pad made 'em better.

Doodier
29-07-2011, 11:31 AM
I don't have a gamepad so I can't try it. I somehow managed to get used to it soo ... Meh..
But I have one question - I've bought some armor but I don't know how to put it on. Any ideas?

Ian
29-07-2011, 11:51 AM
You need to use your equipment cupboard in your safe house. There's a cupboard of some variety in each one where you can equip new gear, modify it, etc.

Doesn'tmeananything
29-07-2011, 01:19 PM
Yeah, only that 'equipment cupboard' seems a bit pointless, since you can access inventory screen directly by pressing i button at any time. And you don't have to watch the redundant animation.

Rii
29-07-2011, 02:15 PM
Metroid Prime on Wii.

TL;DR: It holds up remarkably well, even visually, and there are still some things - the map system, the feel of being a (wo)man in a suit of armour, hell, the whole kinesthetic/immersive experience of FPS more broadly ... it's like the forerunner of Mirror's Edge in that respect - that it does better than just about anything I've seen since. I was also surprised at the level of physics simulation in a title of its age, with enemy corpses sliding down ramps and ragdolling over rails and the like.

My interest in the game was recently renewed by our John Walker's curiously single-minded retrospective (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-26-retrospective-metroid-prime-article) for Eurogamer. I'd played MP1 on GC back in the day, never got to MP2, and gave MP3 on Wii but a few minutes before discarding it in frustration at the controls.

The controls aren't a problem in this 'trilogy' release of MP1 and it took me a few minutes to figure out why: it defaults to a different control scheme. Instead of having the Wiimote drag the gun/targeting reticule all over the screen as in the initial MP3 release, only shifting the actual view when said reticule hits an edge, MP1 on Wii defaults to a far more mouse-like configuration in which there is only a small 'FOV deadzone'. And small is actually better than none on account of that whole immersion thing. Indeed, now that I think of it the standard practice in FPS games to change your FOV to effect the slightest change in where the gun is pointing is, well, kinda stupid, like the gun is bolted to your shoulder and your head is totally immobile or something. Goddamnit, I am going to notice this ALL THE TIME now. Thanks for ruining Rage for me, Retro!

More to come later if I can be bothered.

Ian
29-07-2011, 02:41 PM
I loved the Metroid Prime trilogy and thought MP3 was the best of the lot. I like Wii shooter controls (Metroid Prime, The Conduit*) far more than using an ordinary pad. Not as good as mouse and keyboard, obv, and certainly there are some unnecessary motion-y bits but MP3 just worked like a charm for me.

I keep hoping I'll find time when trying to whittle away at my LIST O' GAMES to return to Metroid Prime 3. There's hardly a thing I didn't like about it after the slightly disappointing Echoes. I think my favourite bit of Echoes was the first few Space Pirate logs and when they're losing their shit because they think there's two Samus' on the loose. :D

* The Conduit was fairly atrocious, but I thought the controls were excellent. Especially the level of customisation.

Anyway, er, PC gaming! And stuff!

Giaddon
29-07-2011, 02:56 PM
Tobe's Vertical Adventures - Bought it and beat it all in one day (yesterday). Took about 2 hours to clear all the stages with one character (there are two, as well as a co-op mode). I really enjoyed it, I'll definitely go back and beat it with the other character. It's a nice contrast to the super-fast, super-tough platformers we've had lately (VVVVVV & Super Meat Boy) -- slower, more relaxing. It's a very aesthetic experience, with great faux-retro graphics and music. Recommended if you like platformers, it's $5 on Steam.

Alice: Madness Returns - Still working my way through this one. Still enjoying it. I've had some nasty crashes, though.

Magic: Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012: Yay, Magic! I haven't played the card game in about six years, so it's been interesting to see what's changed. New abilities, more creatures, and all-around more powerful cards. I've played a few matches and had a lot of fun. A very expansive, well-designed game (the card game is). I look forward to unlocking more decks.

Legend of Mana - I fired up my emulator to dive back into this, one of my favorite games ever. I chose one of the first quests and was struck with something I hadn't noticed before. When you talk to the character that launches the quest, he tells you that before you leave the town, he has to speak with Teapo, but doesn't tell you where he is! And of course there's no map marker or anything - this game's from 1999. I know where Teapo is, since I've played the game a million times and know everything, but it seemed to me as something that would be pretty frustrating encountered for the first time. I'm glad designers have made it easier for us these days.

Rii
29-07-2011, 05:20 PM
I loved the Metroid Prime trilogy and thought MP3 was the best of the lot. I like Wii shooter controls (Metroid Prime, The Conduit*) far more than using an ordinary pad. Not as good as mouse and keyboard, obv, and certainly there are some unnecessary motion-y bits but MP3 just worked like a charm for me.

To be fair I didn't really give it a chance, it was just that first impression that really turned me off and for various reasons I never wound up going back to it. Hell, for all I know the option to switch to my preferred control scheme was right there in the menu, and if it wasn't I'm sure it is in the trilogy release I've got here, I know they've made a number of other tweaks to each of the games.

I don't know if MP3 featured it, but the trilogy release of MP1 (and I assume the other games) offers the option to manually aim during lock-on, i.e. the lock-on feature only functions for missiles. I've gone back and forth on it a few times, for the most part it works well in that it thereby requires more of the traditional FPS skillset where much of the game is otherwise a little too easy in that respect what with the Wiimote being rather better than the analogue stick as you note. So 90% of the time it works well, but occasionally you find yourself up against targets/opponents moving much faster than in most FPS games and circling behind you and above and so forth such that it would be challenging to hit them even with a mouse and the manual aim option breaks down. The game was designed for lock-on and it shows. So at this point I just leave lock-on as standard because I can't be stuffed digging through the menus every ten minutes to flip it on/off. Breaks immersion if nothing else. Still, it's nice that they offered the option.

I keep hoping I'll find time when trying to whittle away at my LIST O' GAMES to return to Metroid Prime 3. There's hardly a thing I didn't like about it after the slightly disappointing Echoes. I think my favourite bit of Echoes was the first few Space Pirate logs and when they're losing their shit because they think there's two Samus' on the loose. :D

Yeah, I heard about their Morph Ball experiments too, good way to acknowledge the anatomical ridiculousness of the mechanic without breaking the fourth wall. I'm looking forward to working my way through the entire trilogy, but I suspect it's going to take me a while esp. since I'd prefer to space them between other Wii titles, and there are PC games coming out in the interim too...

Ian
29-07-2011, 08:03 PM
I'd forgotten that, entries about horribly mutilated space pirates. :D

Heliocentric
30-07-2011, 11:53 AM
Just finished Creed of Ass 2 (95%, not too many feathers and bajillion chests left) I'll likely dip back in to finish off the (yes finite) number of beat up, race and assassinations missions I haven't done.

The deluxe edition content was mostly excellent if a little too linear at times, when the game finished I wanted more... good job UBI, forgot you had it in you.

Heliocentric
30-07-2011, 05:26 PM
Just gave capsized a go in coop with my son, I'd go as far to say its "not bad" but its hard to tell if its "good" after just one level. But it ran well on my older pc with dense art and nice platforming/combat.

Althea
30-07-2011, 08:37 PM
I'm currently playing the Ubisoft Tech Support game. It's bloody frustrating.

But other than that, I'm playing New Vegas' Old World Blues, Hunted: The Demon's Forge, Magic: The Gathering DotP 2012 and Clive Barker's Jericho, with a few other games here and there.

Ian
30-07-2011, 08:55 PM
Holy shit, I actually FINISHED Planescape: Torment! Cracking game, and I love that you can resolve the final "boss" without ever fighting him. Really sums up the game.

As a mage, the *SPOILERS* Fortress of Regret with all the shadows was a fucking nightmare. I just kept legging it and hoping they wouldn't mob me such that I couldn't move.*END SPOILERS*

But yeah, brilliantly-written game. The combat's a little bit pants and some of the mechanics are a bit frustrating but all in all it has such a good reputation for a reason.

No idea what I'm moving onto next. Possibly Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood for a) being something entirely different and b) I imagine it's fairly short.

Outright Villainy
30-07-2011, 10:44 PM
VVVVVV. Some of the new levels are downright sadistic, I'll say that much.

boats
31-07-2011, 03:51 AM
-Company of Heroes: Eastern Front. Been playing this mod with my buddy and it's a blast.
-Team Fortress 2 because it hasn't gotten old for me yet.
-Mass Effect 1. Beat the sequel but not the original.
-Fallout: New Vegas because i love mucking around with mods.

8-bit
31-07-2011, 04:48 AM
eschalon book 2. in the first hour I killed a rat, found out my character has amnesia, and got tapeworm from picking the pockets of a corpse. it was a bit of a hard slog at first as I was constantly trying to find food to keep myself from starving, so its taken a few levels before I have gotten to where I can survive without a problem. not many options in combat so far, most of the time I have been unloading fire spells on enemies and running away until my mana regenerates.

vinraith
31-07-2011, 06:21 AM
Tons of Sword of the Stars, mostly in multiplayer but I have an SP game going as well. I can't wait for the sequel.

I had been playing Warband, but I've run out of interesting things to do, so I think I'm shelving that one for now. I've been debating what to play next. Was contemplating KOTOR (as mentioned earlier in this thread), or maybe Witcher 2. I don't know.

Oak
31-07-2011, 09:33 AM
According to Steam, I played Civ 5 for 9 hours today. I feel filthy and hungover.

Spacewalk
31-07-2011, 10:35 AM
I've been playing The Terminator: Future Shock because it's awesome. Sure it doesn't control 100% smoothly, you can get stuck on things quite easily if you don't fall through the bottom of the map first so those couple of times you're stuck in precarious positions aren't really something to look forwards to. The enemies are dumb as planks and are only dangerous when you venture into interiors where it's hard to move and they just cut through your health and the game has crashed on me once or twice but I can forgive all of that because you eventually get to fly a Hunter/Killer which is just bad arse.

Similar
31-07-2011, 10:47 AM
I reached the Library in Metro 2033 and then got a bit tired of the game, so I started replaying S.T.A.L.K.E.R. CoP. 30 hours in so far. It doesn't run as well as it did last time, but part of that is probably that I played it in 1024x768 the first time and 1920x1080 now, on the same graphics card (which has 256mb. RAM). Lots of stuttering, especially when something that is already hard enough to hit, like dogs or hamsters, attacks. And the first area looks like a zoo exploded because none of the mutant corpses expire...

It is fun, but like I missed the freedom of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. when I played Metro, I now miss the world of Metro (and the Russian. I wish it was as easy to get Russian voices with English subtitles as it is in Metro; I always hurry up to the traders, so I won't have to hear them repeat the same annoying comments once again).

airtekh
31-07-2011, 02:40 PM
I'm still absorbed in the Zone, in Stalker: Call of Pripyat. This is a game I can just lose myself in for hours at a time. I've actually reached Pripyat now, God knows what I'll find there.

I'm also checking out Hydrophobia: Prophecy. It's a bit stuttery, performance-wise but the gameplay is decent enough, if unremarkable. The water physics are amazing though; very realistic indeed.

I'm having a replay of VVVVVV with the extra levels that were recently added too. Some good stuff there.

My perpetual addiction to Team Fortress 2 continues with no signs of slowing down. I've crafted/received most of the items that I wanted from the Uber update by now. I'm getting quite fond of the new map, Barnblitz; it's a nicely done badwater-style payload affair.

Casimir Effect
31-07-2011, 04:43 PM
Holy shit, I actually FINISHED Planescape: Torment! Cracking game, and I love that you can resolve the final "boss" without ever fighting him. Really sums up the game.

As a mage, the *SPOILERS* Fortress of Regret with all the shadows was a fucking nightmare. I just kept legging it and hoping they wouldn't mob me such that I couldn't move.*END SPOILERS*

But yeah, brilliantly-written game. The combat's a little bit pants and some of the mechanics are a bit frustrating but all in all it has such a good reputation for a reason.

No idea what I'm moving onto next. Possibly Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood for a) being something entirely different and b) I imagine it's fairly short.

Congratulations, glad you liked it.

*SPOILERS*

That first part of the Fortress of Regret is hard for any class: fighters get bogged down and constantly take damage and if you lose being in shadows as a thief then you have to leg it quickly. Mage may actually be the simplest as you can load up on high level AoE spells, which you should have plenty of by that level. Even for the other classes if you happen to have those Abyssal Pipe things which cast Cloudkill then you can escape trouble a couple of times. I guess it also helps knowing what to dou in that section, as you will on any subsequent playthrough.

I have to ask, how much of the game do you think you saw? Was your characters high Wisdom & Charisma? Did you unlock the purpose of the Bronze Sphere?
*END SPOILERS*

Ian
31-07-2011, 05:08 PM
*MOAR PLANESCAPE SPOILERS*
I stacked up intelligence, wisdom and charisma. I think int and wis were maxed out at 25 and charisma was at 22 or something?

I facepalmed after I'd go to the roof of the fortress because I realised that after absorbing the other incarnations I'd forgotten to look at the sphere again. :( I'm unlikely to play it again (certainly not any time soon) so I just looked at it in a FAQ, but had I remembered I would've been able to get it once I'd absorbed them all.

I thought I saw a fair bit but I never levelled enough to be able to cast any level 8 or 9 spells so I'm not sure what all the XP was that I missed, unless it was just areas that I couldn't not die in and legged it.

There wasn't much that I felt wasn't resolved though. I never got a look at F-F-G's diary but I'm not sure if you can, I dunno how far what sounded like a potential romance with Annah can be pursued and although I saw where the option was going I didn't bother destroying Vhailor by pulling apart his argument about how justice works. So I thought I saw a lot but I'd need to check out some walkthroughs and see how much stuff I missed. I got what seems to be deemed the "good" ending though.

Giaddon
31-07-2011, 05:41 PM
Just finished Alice: Madness Returns. It was good! The second and third levels are too long, but levels one, four, and five are great. Beautiful, macabre game.

Casimir Effect
31-07-2011, 07:30 PM
*STILL PLANESCAPE SPOILERS*

With those stats you probably saw much of the extra conversation content & memories, although it sounds like you missed a sidequest of two if you couldn't cast level 8. Not that you'd be able to cast more than a couple of level 8 spells but you should have had access to a Mechanus Cannon, Abyssal Fury or 2. There aren't many level 9 spells anyway and the only fight you can ever use them in is the final one, and that's only if you've unlocked the Bronze Sphere I think. Why? Because the Sphere gives you 2,000,000XP on the spot. If you then get the Symbol of Torment and learn it (which I think is possible) you have the most powerful spell in the game and the capacity to cast it several times. Mr Incandescant doesn't last long.

There is a proper romance with Annah which changes a few things at the end, although there is no bonus associated with it like there is in the modern RPGs (no +5 strength for banging the demon chick etc). FFG's diary is just there to taunt you I think. Destroying Vhailor is just for fun and that's the main thing with many extra options in the game: they don't have a massive payoff later but rather the reward is the action itself. Like learning about Ignus and how he came to be so twisted. Or Dakkon and his religion. Or Deionarra and her suffering. The game is about the immediate conversations and then applying the new knowledge to old conversations to ultimate realise how almost everyone you've met is a lying, scheming bastard and that you have been the biggest bastard of all.

There are multiple endings as I'm sure you know. The good-est one is where you resurrect everyone. Then there are other fun one's like when you bring one companion back to fight the BigBad with you and that companion happens to be Vhailor. You can tell him exactly what/who TIO is and it enrages him to the point of getting ridiculous stats and bonuses temporarily.
I'll always wish they had worked Vhailor into the game earlier, about the same time as Nordom & FFG appeared would have been great.

sinomatic
31-07-2011, 08:05 PM
I'm playing assassins creed.

And wishing I wasn't.

It's pretty and the animation seems very fluid but my god it is boring. 'Tis a shame that a game that feels like it could have had so much potential is let down by unrelenting repetition. I presume AssCreed II (and beyond) get better than this?

Hensler
31-07-2011, 09:19 PM
So I've decided that Operation Flashpoint: Red River is the best game I've played this year.

Hensler
31-07-2011, 09:19 PM
I'm playing assassins creed.

And wishing I wasn't.

It's pretty and the animation seems very fluid but my god it is boring. 'Tis a shame that a game that feels like it could have had so much potential is let down by unrelenting repetition. I presume AssCreed II (and beyond) get better than this?

Much, much better -especially Brotherhood.

LutherBlissett
31-07-2011, 10:35 PM
E.Y.E Divine Cybermancy... I think these cyber-fps/rpg/wtf things (like Precursors) are easily drawing my attention away from Rift so much that i'm going to have to unsub. I spent an hour trying to work out what the hell was going on in E.Y.E but once I got into the city it started being somewhat fun. It has potential that is for sure. As with Precursors i'm not sure what people are complaining about... the shooty doesn't feel floaty to me in either of them. I do think that E.Y.E needs a decent tutorial whereas Precursors is more instant and logical. People keep trying to compare E.Y.E to Deus Ex and I to me it is Hellgate London in feel (minus the Diablo looting) with more than a touch of Syndicate (2?)

Smashbox
31-07-2011, 10:54 PM
I'm getting quite fond of the new map, Barnblitz; it's a nicely done badwater-style payload affair.

I had no idea there was a new Valve payload map. I will play it RIGHT NOW.

I played the Deus Ex Beta this weekend (shhhh...) after reading the PC Gamer review, and let me say, this game is really cool. I can't wait until it comes out.

airtekh
01-08-2011, 02:44 AM
@Smashbox

Yeah, it's basically in the same style as Badwater Basin and Upward: a long, single stretch of track with a couple of capture points along it.

Personally I prefer that to the short track payloads like Gold Rush and Thunder Mountain.

There's a nice unique feature in the map too: a little turntable that must be rotated before the cart can be pushed any further. It's great because it gives the defenders time to set up a hasty defence if they're being battered.

Squiz
01-08-2011, 08:28 AM
@TF2: This game had me hooked since... I don't know - years. And it doesn't stop to surprise me. At one point some time ago I temporarily quit playing, I got the feeling that I wouldn't improve my performance (read: position at the bottom of the score board) anymore and that realisation just ate up my motivation. At some point I returned to the game - I just had bought my a new computer with a decent graphics card - and suddenly felt that I performed much better.

Then the F2P stuff hit and now my motivation has very much returned. Finally, it is again possible to muck around with silly ideas (for example "reverse engineering": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HBstUb9ca0) and not feeling that you're getting punished for not filling your intended role.

Apart from my increase in scoring performance, my new PC as well changed my TF2 experience in a very mundane but astonishing way: It looks so much better! High graphics setting no longer pummel my frame rate - its like playing a different game. :)

Ian
01-08-2011, 10:20 AM
So Bound in Blood seems less interesting than the first Call of Juarez, but it's still got off to a reasonable start. Not sure I'm keen on the new gun-duel system though.

*Yup, still Planescape SPOILERS*
Yeah, I'd definitely recommend to anybody else playing it to hike up those three because they're what made the game for me. In the last third when you're learning the origins of Dak'kon, Morte and Ignus it's awesome.

I had the two spells you mentioned and another level 8 one in my book so possibly a combination of missing out on a couple of side quests and not killing everything I could (notably the Dead Nations, the Curst Administration, Tenement of Thugs and Fortress of Regrets) is what held me down. Still, it didn't actually cost me much aside from just getting to see those spells in action. I'm tempted to hack my save and boost my level so I can have a look at them now that I've finished it anyway.

Also, it seems to me that something went unfinished with Fhjull Forked-Tongue. I told Trias to go and tell his masters what he'd been up to and repent and he said he would. And then Vhailor was all "NOT ON MY WATCH, PUNK" so I thought, "Eh, fuck it" and let Vhailor finish him off. He gave this threatening speech in death about somebody being released by his death and I think you see Fhjull Forked-Tongue and I expected him to turn him and try to kill me but he totally didn't.

Maxing out on those stats is definitely the way to go, though, and I'm glad I followed all the suggestions I read to do so.

EDIT: It occurs to me that there's something else that would've hindered me a fair bit in the Fortress of Regret. The number of HP hits I took. I learned all of Ignus' spells, I let the Pillar of Skulls hurt me rather than take my stuff or do anything to party members and there's probably other occasions where you can lose HP to gain something. I did a number of them. Which is probably part of why I struggled to fend off the Greater Shadows, along with not levelling enough for the tasty level 8 spells.

Also it seems I missed out on pissing off the Lady of Pain and getting mazed. Man. It's times like this I wish I obsessively kept old saves from through the game. This is one time I wish I could back and arse around, because with the five hundred millions games I've bought and need to play I'm unlikely to replay the whole of PS:T.
END SPOILERS

Spakkenkhrist
01-08-2011, 12:18 PM
So I've decided that Operation Flashpoint: Red River is the best game I've played this year.

Interesting, it was panned in PC Gamer and I wasn't too impressed by the first couple of levels (got it free with my new CPU), that said despite obvious weaknesses I had fun with the campaign of OF: Dragon Rising.

Casimir Effect
01-08-2011, 03:17 PM
*Guess What?! More Planescape Spoilers!*

I was going to ask if you got mazed or not. There's quite a few things like that which you can miss out on so not get the experience which could have prevented you getting an extra level in.
Also the tattoo's you chose could have made the end a bit harder if you only stuck with the pro-mage ones. I tend to use them to boost Con so the hitpoints and regeneration increases. Also you may not have had access to the very best tattoos if you didn't get your companions 'loyal' (or whatever the version is in this game) or didn't check back with Fell towards the end of the game when he gets new stock in.
I doubt the hp losses would hit you too hard unless you got very unlucky rolls at every level up (unless you use a mod then the hp you get is the old random dice roll, meaning you could get lots of 1's in a row).

Vhailor can be kept in check when dealing with Trias but you have to have said some very specific things to him beforehand (and maybe be a Mercykiller if possible). Talking to Vhailor is just one big minefield at the best of times, which is exactly as it should be considering the past. Not sure if anything is released by Trias death like it is when you exorcise the demon from the box way back in the Hive at the start of the game (the find the beastie in Curst Gone I think). It is possible that Trias revenge meant the Shadows find Fhjull and kill him, potentially screwing over any further incarnations of The Nameless One. But this happens even if Trias lives, although that could happen just because Trias is such a traitorous ass.

It's a bit of a shame now that everyone knows which stats to boost when playing Torment. First time I played the game back in '99 was with a fighter and had appropriate stats. So when I replayed with a mage in mind I discovered this whole new game with loads of conversation. The first playthrough was still excellent of course, but that second one was incredible because of the differences. The amount of content which the developers chose to hide from the player if they don't have the right stats is such a ballsy move and one we're unlikely to see again. I replayed it as a fighter a couple of years back and took the most ridiculous set of fighter stats imaginable (STR 10, DEX 9, CON 8 or something) to try and see everything from out front of the party. Hard as all hell but entirely worth it, and by the end my guy was a hammer-wielding god. One of these days I'll do a Thief run, as hopefully you will be inspired to try a different character. It'll happen. It always does.

*End Spoilers*

Ian
01-08-2011, 03:49 PM
And more!
That's probably another thing... can you join ALL the factions? I joined... like.... two, and turned down the chance of another few for being unsure what effect joining multiple factions would have.

Casimir Effect
01-08-2011, 04:03 PM
Still going!

Not all, I don't think you can join the Harmonium or whatever Annah is. Just found out you can't join the Mercykillers or Collectors either. But you can join: Dustmen, Anarchists, Godsmen, Sensates and Chaosmen. I imagine it was planned that they were all joinable originally but that idea was cut later. Not that it makes much difference to anything beyond fleshing out characters more, especially your own.

Similar
01-08-2011, 05:09 PM
Well, I accidentally finished Stalker: CoP because I forgot which mission triggers the events leading to the finish and the game is suddenly in a great hurry to get you there. I opted to stay in the Zone, so maybe I'll find some more to do, though from experience, that sort of thing (i.e. playing after the main plot has been finished) always feels a bit too aimless to do for long.

Great game. I wish you could play the original Stalker with the weapon and suit upgrade system from CoP (and the weapons themselves; they feel far better than the unmodded Stalker's do).

Wooly Wugga Wugga
01-08-2011, 06:35 PM
I've ordered Risen and am waiting anxiously for it to arrive.

Oak
02-08-2011, 01:48 AM
Yet more Civ 5. This has been my first time playing since around release and I feel like rambling, but I don't think that that warrants its own thread. Word dump:

The combat system is leaps and bounds ahead of Civ 4, in that it can actually be fun and manageable, but I'm still not sure it fits here. In games with a similar system - let's say Panzer General - you're fighting with a finite number of units, perhaps reinforced with finite resources. With the ability to build and buy steadily in Civ 5, combat devolves, way too often, to a slow war of attrition. In the absence of overwhelming power, truly decisive battles are few and far between. Exacerbating the issue is the size of the battlefields, which, taking national and natural borders into account, limits maneuverability and front length significantly. I hated stacks as much as anyone, but maybe one-unit-per-tile wasn't the answer.

I've yet to be threatened by an enemy's navy. When it first came out, I won a cultural victory simply because none of the AI players seemed able to cross over to my island and stop me. They're clearly able to embark units and build ships now, which is great, but whether they understand the importance of a wooden wall when playing an islands map is yet to be seen. They seem to prioritize riflemen over frigates on a map that's 75% water.

I really liked the Paradise Found scenario - in setup, anyway. It's a race to a mini-cultural victory amongst 4 Polynesian civs, and sees you spreading out across an enormous map based of the South Pacific. Fine and dandy, if a little too mod-like in quality (Don't strain yourselves, Firaxis, it's not like you're charging money for it. (http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/5277/greenshot20110731201449.png)), until I decided to check the AIs' cultural lead with force and wound up winning a domination victory. Again, this is a map composed almost entirely of water, and nobody else had a navy. They had riflemen, though.

City-states are a neat concept, but their repetitious and uninteresting demands irritate. They also utterly lack distinction, which irritates almost as much. Thankfully, both these problems can be solved in one go: each city-state could get a tiny, historically-based bonus or mission on top of their categorical one. Venice gets extra luxury goods, Vienna hates the Ottomans; something like that. But Christ, the least they could do is add a picture of the city or something.

I'm still not comfortable with diplomacy. It's better than it used to be, but still too much of a guessing game. Options are limited, intentions are unclear, and reasons are unconvincing. Why? Because they wanted to keep people from gaming the system? The result is an unhappy medium between showing you the math and not showing you anything at all.

And then there's the leader screens themselves. They're lovely, and a fun novelty, but they too occupy a weird medium. Not the compact, cartoony leaderheads of Civ 4, so full of personality, but also not different enough from them to convey a sense of meeting a great leader in his/her grand palace - as they were apparently meant to, based on the concept art. It's cosmetic, but I think it keeps with the thread I've been laying out that Civ 5 is something of a confused game, existing in the halfway point between good ideas. Or something.

The fact that I'm in a position to complain about such a minor issue means I've got it pretty good in life, huh. I'll shut up now. Back to playing the game.

8-bit
02-08-2011, 02:30 AM
I am currently fighting the undead underneath a dam in eschalon 2. I think where I am is supposed to be is a village that was flooded so I am not entirely sure how I can be walking around down here, game didn't really explain it very well, or I wasn't paying attention, one or the other.

combat is kinda boring tbh since there are no real variety in tactics to play with, I just spam my fire attacks then run to a safe distance, camp to restore mana, then get back to spam some more fire spells. if camping is not an option I might mix it up with poison while I run around, since I know the enemy cant ever catch me by doing this its not a problem, does take a long time before they go down though...

..I think I might install the Aether mod in minecraft, that looks nice. flying whales! I haven't played minecraft in a while, had an incident with lava and a lot of diamond equipment.

Lambchops
02-08-2011, 08:33 AM
I think I was in a similar situation with Planescape spells. I did have that cool Mechanus Cannon thing but didn't get any higher. Think this is largely because I didn't want to put myself the torment (hah!) of the dull, difficult grrindfest that was Under Sigl. Definitely looked like there was a lot of experience to be had there but it onvolved relentless combat, which is the least fun part of the game.

coldvvvave
02-08-2011, 08:45 AM
I bought all DLC for Fallout: New Vegas and started my second runthrough. Sadly, I can't just go straight into DLC since it's recommended for 15+ lvl characters. Game itself is plagued by millions of problems, not to mention it is ugly as hell but still I kind of like it.

Ian
02-08-2011, 09:56 AM
Yeah, those are the bits I just ran through, Lambchops. I suppose I could have gone back and murderised everything with my phat spells later...

Althea
02-08-2011, 10:36 AM
I bought all DLC for Fallout: New Vegas and started my second runthrough. Sadly, I can't just go straight into DLC since it's recommended for 15+ lvl characters. Game itself is plagued by millions of problems, not to mention it is ugly as hell but still I kind of like it.
New Vegas is a game I'm rather torn about. On the one hand I think it's an improvement over Fallout 3, but on the other hand I think it's no better. I liked the ability to make your own ammo, to mod weapons and to do various other things, but I don't think Obsidian made enough of an effort to work the game around those changes and I also think they added too much. My character is Level 40+ now, and navigating the stores is just abysmal. I have to scroll through loads and loads of ammo types, ammo parts, quest items etc to find the few things I want to sell. When I navigate the PipBoy, my ammo parts are lumped in with 'Misc' rather than given their own section.

In my opinion, Obsidian added too many weapons and armour types to the game, and many of the ones they did add clashed visually with Bethesda's additions. Combat Armour Mk 2, for example, looks absolutely horrific compared to the original. The reinforced leather armour looks almost cartoonish compared to the standard one.

Part of me prefers Fallout 3 for its relative simplicity. The UI is better suited to it, and I honestly feel that New Vegas has almost too much going on.

BlueJohn
02-08-2011, 01:25 PM
i had to restart vegas 2 times over due to bugs so i just ended up uninstalling it, at the moment im playing red orchestra gettin myself ready for 2 as well im playing Cthulhu saves the world which is great and really funny

mr.doo
02-08-2011, 04:59 PM
Been re playing ascendency lately. Awesome awesome game, too bad not many games of the genre are released. Sword of the stars is shit and from what I've seen so far of the sequel it won't be any different.

Heliocentric
02-08-2011, 06:45 PM
Sword of the stars is shit
GTFOASO!
Serious.

CuervoJoe
02-08-2011, 08:40 PM
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. I love that game. Has the darkest story and best Dialogue I've come across in a game, PC or otherwise. It's an incredible game with a great, dark sense of humour, too.

I'm going to buy Planescape and Outcast from GOG this weekend, so had to close my eyes and scroll downwards to avoid the spoilers. Thanks for the Heads-up from Casimir Effect for that.

Similar
02-08-2011, 08:44 PM
Already missing the Zone after finishing Stalker: CoP, so I'll probably start a new game. I wish I could remember which mod I used to use for the original Stalker. I think it mainly just added repair from traders and made the weapons more realistic (also used the real names of them). Most of the modern mods seem to change too much, either of the game itself or the graphics (so my old graphics card can't keep up).

Kadayi
02-08-2011, 10:17 PM
Limbo, which I'd played around a friends on the 360 ages ago and have now totally forgotten half the puzzles to, as well as the abundance of frikken great big spiders (not a game for Arachnophobiacs).

Serenegoose
02-08-2011, 10:32 PM
Back to playing Shogun 2, as the Takeda. They're my favourite faction, overall (I really like the red colour of their armour) but they start out in a situation where you can be pretty much screwed over by the whims of the AI, as you lie in a crossroads between 4 major factions (Ikko-Ikki, Uesugi, Oda/Tokugawa (depends which one wins), and the Hojo) and countless minor factions including the may-as-well-be-a-major-faction-they-were-in-shogun-1-Imagawa. If they don't like the look of you, you're pretty much toast, especially since, as ever, they're playing a different set of rules to the one you're lumped with.

Hensler
02-08-2011, 11:25 PM
Giving Empire: Total War another chance, with the Darth mod. It's actually really good, and it only had to get to version 7.x to happen.

Smashbox
03-08-2011, 01:15 AM
I've yet to be threatened by an enemy's navy. When it first came out, I won a cultural victory simply because none of the AI players seemed able to cross over to my island and stop me. They're clearly able to embark units and build ships now, which is great, but whether they understand the importance of a wooden wall when playing an islands map is yet to be seen. They seem to prioritize riflemen over frigates on a map that's 75% water.

I agree with this - it's not difficult to win if you can secure an entire 'continent' or most of one, using a narrow choke-point early.

But man - this game is a serious timevampire.

vinraith
03-08-2011, 03:08 AM
Sword of the Stars in multiplayer, Sword of the Stars and Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood in single player.

Have I mentioned that I like Sword of the Stars?

Heliocentric
03-08-2011, 11:13 AM
Never heard you mention it.

jp0249107
03-08-2011, 09:05 PM
Well I WAS playing Eve online before I started looking into null-sec corps and discovered you have to be way more dedicated than I want to be to function in one. I don't like the idea of being yelled at over evemail by someone just because I can't be on every night. I'm going to university for gosh sakes. I guess I just wanted lotsa pvp like in the promos but didn't realize the dedication it takes to function in a SOV alliance.

So instead I'm subjecting myself to Dwarf Fortress and liking it so far. I've hit a wall where I've progressed past everything that simple tutorials can do for me so I'm currently figuring all that stuff out. Other than that it's Project Reality and waiting for BF3 to some out.

Berlin
03-08-2011, 09:21 PM
Trying to get past this damn tutorial of E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy, but it's a pain in the ass. Terrible one.

sinomatic
03-08-2011, 10:09 PM
I've moved on, against my better judgement, to Assassins Creed II (after finishing the first....if you can call it finishing when it stopped mid-story). So.....I've done very little but the gameplay seems to be more interesting and varied. Unfortunately there seems to be a graphical issue where the shadows are all hideous and jagged, and the draw distance (if that's the right technical term for it?) is so small that textures appear to be popping-in 4 metres in front of me.

I'm not someone who really cares about pretties over gameplay but when the problem with the graphics is visually distracting.... *sigh*. Is it a case of bad porting or something?

I'm in the mastermind mode of 'I've started so I'll finish', but it's not the best start.

Hensler
03-08-2011, 10:26 PM
Sounds like a bug or settings problem Assassin's Creed 2 wasn't the prettiest game, but I never had issues like that with it.

sabrage
04-08-2011, 12:09 AM
I thought AC2 looked great on 360... I never had a moment where I was drawn out of my immersion by any pop-in or jaggies. Maybe it's a poor port?

vinraith
04-08-2011, 12:23 AM
I thought AC2 looked great on 360... I never had a moment where I was drawn out of my immersion by any pop-in or jaggies. Maybe it's a poor port?

Nope, it looked great when I played it on PC, with no pop-in and no jagged edges, I think sinomatic's having a technical issue. Hopefully the support forum can help.

8-bit
04-08-2011, 08:00 AM
I just played a map on altitude called, am i pretty, someone put a bunch of pictures of rabbits and kittens into an incredibly cramped tbd map. for a while I couldn't decide if it was the worst map (or best map) ever, then we switched to something called 'search and destroy' which is most definitely the worst map ever.

Olero
04-08-2011, 11:45 AM
Winter Voices

So far only some 90 minutes in the (prologue?) game, currently at a tough tough "f(l)ight" in the Reid, but I do like it. Sure, the "combat" is slow and tedious, but really it's not combat at all in the classical sense of it. It's more like, I dunno, puzzles and chess? But the ammount of skills available makes me wonder if all skills are playable and tested for each combat situation.
The biggest failure of the game is the engine I think. Adobe Air really really isn't suited for game development. What were they thinking? Scrolling around is a drag, and the big black borders annoy me a bit. But I think I can manage to live with it. Let's hope the ammount of niggles don't increase too much though ;)

Wooly Wugga Wugga
04-08-2011, 07:17 PM
I've been playing Risen for about 45 minutes and I'm really not enjoying it as much as I enjoyed Gothic 3 from the beginning. The geography feels cramped and uninteresting - it's as if the world in Risen feels like a bunch of outdoor corridors. Gothic 3 felt open from the beginning with rolling plains and fascinating geography as you made your way up the escarpment.

vinraith
04-08-2011, 10:00 PM
Trying some co-op DoW2:Retribution campaign and having a bastard hard time controlling my units (as is my co-op partner). Guys keep running off and getting killed, or simply not going where they were told to go. We played through DoW2 and Chaos Rising without trouble, so this is frustrating and somewhat bizarre, as we can't figure out just what the problem is. Has anyone else had this experience? Any advice?

Serenegoose
04-08-2011, 10:24 PM
Trying some co-op DoW2:Retribution campaign and having a bastard hard time controlling my units (as is my co-op partner). Guys keep running off and getting killed, or simply not going where they were told to go. We played through DoW2 and Chaos Rising without trouble, so this is frustrating and somewhat bizarre, as we can't figure out just what the problem is. Has anyone else had this experience? Any advice?
Haven't had this experience at all - who are you playing as? I played a hero unit heavy eldar campaign, so there were simply less units on screen at any particular time for me to lose track of, but I never found units not going where they were supposed to or anything similar.

vinraith
04-08-2011, 10:26 PM
Haven't had this experience at all - who are you playing as? I played a hero unit heavy eldar campaign, so there were simply less units on screen at any particular time for me to lose track of, but I never found units not going where they were supposed to or anything similar.

Imperial guard. We've usually got 3 units apiece (give or take a unit) so I don't see why the unit count should be the problem. Maybe it's the size of the units? The cover system seems to respond somewhat wonkily to, say, a 9 man guard squad.

Serenegoose
04-08-2011, 10:36 PM
Imperial guard. We've usually got 3 units apiece (give or take a unit) so I don't see why the unit count should be the problem. Maybe it's the size of the units? The cover system seems to respond somewhat wonkily to, say, a 9 man guard squad.

That's more what I was meaning - that because my units were singular they could all go where they needed and use cover without issue - trying to fit nine guardsmen behind a barrel may not work so spectacularly and might confuse the pathfinding somewhat. I wouldn't know as I've not played as the guard yet.

vinraith
04-08-2011, 10:46 PM
That's more what I was meaning - that because my units were singular they could all go where they needed and use cover without issue - trying to fit nine guardsmen behind a barrel may not work so spectacularly and might confuse the pathfinding somewhat. I wouldn't know as I've not played as the guard yet.

I hadn't thought of it but you may well be on to something there. I'm not sure what the cure is, though. Large cover is very uncommon on these maps, and it's not like the game lets you break up a guard squad and send some behind one piece of cover and some behind another.

Giaddon
04-08-2011, 11:13 PM
Just beat LIMBO. Fantastic game. Probably the best sound design in any game, ever.

sabrage
04-08-2011, 11:31 PM
Just beat Samorost 1 and 2 back-to-back... Mildly excited in 3 (hopefully they don't build it in Flash!) but I'm really more interested in that new original IP Amanita is working on. Don't think they'll ever be able to top Machinarium though.

I beat Limbo on X360 about a week or two ago and I honestly don't know what Kieron is on about. One of the most memorable and creepy games I've played in a while. And I'd really like to know what he thought about Demon's Souls.

Ugh, retrying Abe's Oddysee... This game is hard

Oak
05-08-2011, 05:35 AM
Speaking of games that like to see you die.

Ash_firelord
05-08-2011, 11:19 AM
I've picked up once more Fallout: New Vegas, continuing with my gold-hearted rogue gunslinger save. Such a great game, yet I always get distracted from it by something or other. Hopefully I'll finish it this time.

On the 360, Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet is beautiful and awesome. Metroidvania is that delightful genre that I tend to forget how much I enjoy, and then a title comes out and I fall in love all over again.

Similar
05-08-2011, 11:29 AM
Playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. with Complete 2009 (which runs much better than expected, although I did have to turn some of the fancier effects off). The spawning of enemies seems even more over the top than I remember it which gets a tad annoying (for a place that is supposed to have very few people, the Zone seems rather crowded at times).

Heliocentric
05-08-2011, 11:51 AM
Stanley Parable, played all of the endings, it was fine but eh.... it really could have done with a little "long corridor" compression.
Been playing Revenge of the titans.
Both of these games make me want the internet in some way, revenge to figure out its path of least resistance because of (imho) unbalance design choices.

According to a man on the internet... Rockets are good.

Althea
05-08-2011, 02:27 PM
I finished Old World Blues a few moments ago. Pretty damned good, in my opinion. I didn't get the exact ending I wanted, though.

Heliocentric
05-08-2011, 03:00 PM
RAGE QUIT DETECTED: DEPLOYING CAPSLOCK MODERATION IN 5...4...3...

OH MY GOD I... hate Revenge of the titans, its not that I don't find it fun, but just so unempowering, the units have freedom of agency to move and attack, but your units don't move except the drones which don't follow your orders either. You lose because units don't give you enough time to farm the currency, unless you throw down barriers, and this critical currency rolls over so a bad start means ruination down the road.

Right, which game next!

Ash_firelord
05-08-2011, 03:40 PM
I'm going to get Old World Blues soon, hoping for a bigger QuakeCon discount on Steam.

Giaddon
05-08-2011, 03:41 PM
My slate right now is:

Aquaria -- Lovely world to explore. Love the underwater setting and the general sense of mystery and exploration.
Capsized -- Lovely world to kill everything in. I'm really enjoying it, Great sense of mobility and power.
Supreme Commander - Picked up the Gold Edition from Direct2Drive last weekend. I'm playing through the Cybran campaign of the original and digging it. The scale is excellent, and I LOVE the economy -- it's based on direct input and output, as opposed to purchasing like most RTSs. It's too slow though. For a game that wants you to throw hundred of units against each other, it takes a surprisingly long time to build those units. I picked up SupCom 2 during the Steam sale, and I like this game so much I'll make an epic of it -- finish the original campaign, then straight to Forged Alliance campaign, then SupCom 2 campaign. So many robots!

NecroKnight
05-08-2011, 05:46 PM
I just finished Limbo, now I'm trying out E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy

Tikey
05-08-2011, 05:52 PM
I've started Alpha Protocol
Really liking it so far even though all the bugs I've encountered.

Heliocentric
05-08-2011, 08:44 PM
Finished VVVVVV, trinkets can kiss my bottom.

8-bit
05-08-2011, 09:56 PM
Just finished eschalon book 2.

What.the.fuck.

that is all I have to say on the matter.

Serenegoose
05-08-2011, 11:04 PM
My slate right now is:

Aquaria -- Lovely world to explore. Love the underwater setting and the general sense of mystery and exploration.
Capsized -- Lovely world to kill everything in. I'm really enjoying it, Great sense of mobility and power.
Supreme Commander - Picked up the Gold Edition from Direct2Drive last weekend. I'm playing through the Cybran campaign of the original and digging it. The scale is excellent, and I LOVE the economy -- it's based on direct input and output, as opposed to purchasing like most RTSs. It's too slow though. For a game that wants you to throw hundred of units against each other, it takes a surprisingly long time to build those units. I picked up SupCom 2 during the Steam sale, and I like this game so much I'll make an epic of it -- finish the original campaign, then straight to Forged Alliance campaign, then SupCom 2 campaign. So many robots!

I have no idea if it tells you or if you already know - but a big part of playing supreme commander is using engineers to assist constructing facilities to pump out units quickly. Supcom is a bit slow but you're still not meant to be relying on base build speeds.