PDA

View Full Version : Crysis 2 pulled out from Steam

somini
15-06-2011, 02:20 AM
So aparently Crysis 2 is no longer available on Steam.
According to their site http://www.ea.com/crysis-2/pc-download it says "Only on Origin", althought it's stll available in D2D,Impulse, etc.

Unconfirmed sources tell us that EA is in the process of making Origin the only digital distributor that sells EA games, and BF3,ME3 and TOR will be the "killer-apps". Another interesting information is that EA publishes Valve's games in retail.
Cue the flamewars...
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=433987
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1930418

Cooper
15-06-2011, 02:31 AM
Gonna be getting ME3 in a box like the olden days then I guess...

Wizardry
15-06-2011, 02:37 AM
So what happens if you own an EA game on Steam and the they pull it? Does that only mean you can't purchase it from then on, or does it mean you can't download it again if you uninstall it?

Kodeen
15-06-2011, 02:45 AM
So what happens if you own an EA game on Steam and the they pull it? Does that only mean you can't purchase it from then on, or does it mean you can't download it again if you uninstall it?

I think the way it has worked, for the majority of games that have had this situation, is that the games are redownloadable for people who have already purchased it, but new purchases are not allowed. There may have been a game or two that were not redownloadable, not sure, so don't quote me on that.

soldant
15-06-2011, 02:55 AM
Either that or they'll pull it entirely and give people access to it using Origin. Being Australian I'm used to getting absolutely shafted by digital distribution systems like Steam so pretty much nothing surprises me, but this one seems particularly ridiculous. Not that I own Crysis 2. No way in hell I'd be using Origin though if I can avoid it. They'll probably charge the same price as the retail box here in Australia (or even more if I get it from ozgameshop or something) so why would I bother?

Another interesting information is that EA publishes Valve's games in retail.
This I think is the most interesting issue of the lot. I don't think it'll matter in the long run though, worst that happens is Valve don't choose EA or EA refuses to publish a Valve game expecting it can throw its weight around. Valve probably won't care either way, they can find someone else to publish their games on actual discs. It might prompt Valve to release Episode 3 only on digital distribution channels though.

Wait, what am I saying? Valve release Episode 3? Those words don't belong in the same sentence.

Dirtyboy
15-06-2011, 05:35 AM
I don't doubt that EA would try to move its games to Origin (at least its AAA titles), but probably should wait for an official response from either company before too much is read into it. If EA truly wants to build a competitive digital store they need to offer better prices and support and not just pull a Madden style brute force attack (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6114977/big-deal-ea-and-nfl-ink-exclusive-licensing-agreement) on customers.

pkt-zer0
15-06-2011, 06:05 AM
This illustrates the problem I have with people defending GfWL/whatever simply because it's giving Steam "competition". The problem being that it's not really competition if all you're trying to do is cripple the other guy. The thought process here wasn't "how can we do something better than Steam?", but "how can we make Steam worse?".

Rakysh
15-06-2011, 06:52 AM
I predict horrific digital sales for those games, followed by EA coming crawling back. Crawling back on their bellies like the snakes they are.

Kablooie
15-06-2011, 07:12 AM
http://blog.games.yahoo.com/blog/738-ea-takes-on-steam-with-new-origin-service

Competition is usually good for us consumers, but I'm hoping Origin goes down in flames, too.

Mohorovicic
15-06-2011, 07:33 AM
"Competition is good as long as it's not against my favourite company"?

Hahaha.

TheApologist
15-06-2011, 07:38 AM
Agreed this is not competition that is in any sense useful to the consumer.

But also, it just seems likely to lead to the latest piece of flawed, circular logic that will get the PC declared dead as a platform, and thus a dumb way to do business i.e. EA don't sell 3 upcoming AAA titles on Steam. PC sales for those titles fall sharply. EA looks at PC sales when commissioning games on different platforms. Sales have fallen. Ergo PC is dead and they stop releasing AAA games on PC. Which hurts PC etc. etc.

TheApologist
15-06-2011, 07:41 AM
Mohorovicic - that's not what pkt-zer0 said though, is it? What was said was more like: "forms of competition that artificially reduce the purchasing choices of the consumer are not useful forms of competition for the consumer". Which is totally reasonable. I can understand you wanting choices in addition to Steam. But why is it good that a publisher denies you the choice of Steam or any other download platform in order to force you to use their one?

Kadayi
15-06-2011, 07:59 AM
EA are clearly attempting to establish Origin as a viable DD platform. From their perspective as one of the biggest game publishers going with a large back catalogue of IPs it makes sense on paper to maximize their profitability, but I think that the reality is with Steam already the major market player in the DD space they are going to struggle to make much headway and in fact boycotting Steam is probably going to damage them greatly in terms of digital sales. Plus the pricing for digital downloads on origin is actually noticeably higher that buying retail.

http://store.origin.com/store/eaemea/en_GB/home/ThemeID.850300/ccRef.en_US

BF3 39.99 where as you can get it for around 29.99 via play, game, amazon, etc etc

Sims medieval 39.99 where as at retail it's again around the 30 mark

There is no point launching a DD service with a view to it becoming a sales platform if your pricing isn't actually competitive against retail.

Rossignol
15-06-2011, 08:01 AM
Yes, EA have such a big PC catalogue that they're clearly trying to get some inertia behind Origin. They are thinking that they can do with BF3 what Half-Life 2 and Counter-Strike did for Steam. Good luck to them, I guess.

Ice-Fyre
15-06-2011, 08:07 AM
I predict horrific digital sales for those games, followed by EA coming crawling back. Crawling back on their bellies like the snakes they are.

Don't be silly, they wont admit they were wrong to do it, they will say people downloaded it instead lol

Icarus
15-06-2011, 08:31 AM
Gonna be getting ME3 in a box like the olden days then I guess...

Pretty much this, yes. I can't especially be bothered with a whole second client on my PC. Steam serves me just fine.

Kadayi
15-06-2011, 08:37 AM
Yes, EA have such a big PC catalogue that they're clearly trying to get some inertia behind Origin. They are thinking that they can do with BF3 what Half-Life 2 and Counter-Strike did for Steam. Good luck to them, I guess.

Well they need to make their pricing competitive with Retail/E-retail for a start if they remotely intend to become viable. Sure I suspect the majority of people are going to buy BF3 regardless, but unless EA realistically match retailer pricing all they are go is end up losing that 3rd Steam would of cost them to Retail/E-Retail instead. There is no gain made and they significantly reduce their digital presence at the same time.

Origin (presently) lacks for a majority of the community features that Steam possesses and unless EA are going to add those in, all Origins is destined to become is another background application people don't want running.

riadsala
15-06-2011, 08:37 AM
Didn't gog.com just acquire permission to sell a load of EA games? Seems odd timing, even if the golden oldies are worth very little in terms of profit.

Hocevar
15-06-2011, 08:41 AM
I don't see how it's competition if you remove your game from being sold in the biggest store in the digital sales market, it's just plain dumb, trying to force down our throat this "Origin" thing.

Also, everytime I hear "Origin" it makes me fucking angry since I remember how EA destroyed Origin Systems.

And how they DON'T FUCKING RELEASE SYSTEM SHOCK ON GOG, EVER

fuckers...

soldant
15-06-2011, 08:49 AM
Plus the pricing for digital downloads on origin is actually noticeably higher that buying retail.
Come to Australia and check out the Steam prices. Digital distribution only remained cheap until people actually started using it.

pmh
15-06-2011, 08:57 AM

Now they just need to get a large pre-installed user base by shutting down the BFBC2 auth servers and forcing their players to use the Origin client.

Schaulustiger
15-06-2011, 09:11 AM
I downloaded Origin yesterday because I was curious. The application itself is not all that bad, it's pretty smooth and simple and feels a bit more responsive than Steam. Feature-wise it's still lightyears behind Valve's platform, but that was to be expected.

My main problem is: why would I use another store application just for one or two games? The Origin store really feels empty. There is not much from the vast EA back catalogue available, just their recent IPs (and probably 50% is Sims stuff). And whoever did the pricing (at least for the German store) was obviously on drugs or half asleep or both. Dragon Age II costs 34,99€, but Dragon Age: Origins is 54,99€. Really? Crysis 1 for 54,99€?

From a consumer standpoint, I have absolutely no incentive to ever use it. I want the comfort of having to deal with just one DD store, because I'm lazy. Steam is that for me. I don't want to use a separate store for every publisher I buy from. It makes organizing my digital games collection difficult. It makes having my gaming friends around difficult. Bad move, EA.

deano2099
15-06-2011, 09:14 AM
Didn't gog.com just acquire permission to sell a load of EA games? Seems odd timing, even if the golden oldies are worth very little in terms of profit.

Maybe. But if GoG are doing all the work to get the games running on older platforms, perhaps EA intends to sell their versions through Origin. Could have been part of the agreement.

fitzroy_doll
15-06-2011, 10:44 AM
Crysis 2 on Steam last week: 29.99

Origin (http://store.origin.com/store/eaemea/en_GB/pd/productID.225985400/sac.true): 34.99

Amazon (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Electronic-Arts-Crysis-PC-DVD/dp/B002BWONOY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1308130526&sr=8-3): 17.95

Also, this post from Crytek (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=22919187&postcount=70):

"Crytek love and support Steam."

But EA does not....

winterwolves
15-06-2011, 11:04 AM
My main problem is: why would I use another store application just for one or two games? The Origin store really feels empty. There is not much from the vast EA back catalogue available, just their recent IPs (and probably 50% is Sims stuff).

Well, obviously they'll add titles in future :)

From a consumer standpoint, I have absolutely no incentive to ever use it. I want the comfort of having to deal with just one DD store, because I'm lazy. Steam is that for me. I don't want to use a separate store for every publisher I buy from. It makes organizing my digital games collection difficult. It makes having my gaming friends around difficult. Bad move, EA.
I am neither pro or con Steam, but I don't understand why people say this. I mean until few years ago you'd buy games from retail from 3102938120 different publishers. I agree Steam is cool and easy to use, but BEFORE it you were installing each game as single application and wasn't so terrible.
I don't know, but what's happening is inevitable: if you were EA you'd like to give your competitor a % of sales of every game you make, or start your own system? There are already other systems: Impulse, Gamersgate, D2D. And there will be more.

Schaulustiger
15-06-2011, 11:19 AM
I am neither pro or con Steam, but I don't understand why people say this. I mean until few years ago you'd buy games from retail from 3102938120 different publishers. I agree Steam is cool and easy to use, but BEFORE it you were installing each game as single application and wasn't so terrible.
I don't know, but what's happening is inevitable: if you were EA you'd like to give your competitor a % of sales of every game you make, or start your own system? There are already other systems: Impulse, Gamersgate, D2D. And there will be more.
I absolutely *hated* having 100+ retail games. Finding a CD key took me ages ("Ok, here's the CD, where's the manual? Oh, the key is on the back of the CD case, now where is that?"), a scratched DVD prevented me from re-playing games more than once. Personally, I'm glad that digital distribution took over.
I am very well aware of the risks of not physically owning games, but the pro's outweigh every con, at least for me. And Steam, like it or not, has become a hub for many gaming groups with all its social features. That's why I like my games there. I know there's Impulse, Gamersgate, Direct2Drive, Get Games, GOG and I even bought a few titles there (even a few more on GOG), but I still regard Steam as my main platform. Juggling store clients is not something I want ("Erm, where the hell did I buy this game again?").

Jockie
15-06-2011, 11:43 AM
I am not some kind of EA fanboy or whatever, but there is one nice feature of Origin (though not exclusive to the platform by any means). You can register a CD key from pretty much any recent EA game bought at retail and it goes into your owned games catalogue, meaning you get a digital back-up copy.

Also, supposedly if you register your Steam copy of BF: BC2 on Origin they give you a free copy of BC2: Vietnam, which is nice, unless, like me you bought it at retail in which case you get nada.

MiniMatt
15-06-2011, 12:30 PM
I'm just wondering if someone at activision PR is right now proofing a press release along the lines of "Modern Warfare 3 will be available on Steam".

thegooseking
15-06-2011, 12:30 PM
Is EA selling only PC games through its store, now?

Seems a bit odd.

Just a couple of weeks ago they were inviting people to pre-order NHL12 (which won't be getting a PC release) through the store. Though not in the UK.

Heliocentric
15-06-2011, 12:41 PM
I'll be buying far more EA games at retail now, will that mean EA see a bigger cut or a smaller one than with steam?

Lukasz
15-06-2011, 12:51 PM
Maybe. But if GoG are doing all the work to get the games running on older platforms, perhaps EA intends to sell their versions through Origin. Could have been part of the agreement.
that's why there are no expansion packs on gog... they will be sold via origin.

it will annoy me to have so many accounts. i like it centralized but damn steam did get too big too fast. and prices are so much lower on origin than on steam.

probably will get me3 from them during a sale.

I am not some kind of EA fanboy or whatever, but there is one nice feature of Origin (though not exclusive to the platform by any means). You can register a CD key from pretty much any recent EA game bought at retail and it goes into your owned games catalogue, meaning you get a digital back-up copy.

Also, supposedly if you register your Steam copy of BF: BC2 on Origin they give you a free copy of BC2: Vietnam, which is nice, unless, like me you bought it at retail in which case you get nada.

that's.... brilliant.

good launch. they did make mistake about releasing crysis 2 on steam... they should either postpone the release or just release only retail.

MiniMatt
15-06-2011, 12:58 PM
I'll be buying far more EA games at retail now, will that mean EA see a bigger cut or a smaller one than with steam?

Probably smaller. But it doesn't stop them requiring origin login at launch like GFWL titles so often do. Thus people are still buying games at profitable (if not super profitable) margins and they're getting an install base via the back door for their download service.

*IF* they end up putting BF3 as Origin exclusive (and it's a big "if" - Msoft flirted with the idea for Fable 3 but caved) then buying retail is not really going to hurt them any.

Kadayi
15-06-2011, 01:09 PM

It's probably about the same. Valve take a 30% cut and retail tends to take about 30-40%. EA probably want to encourage digital sales via Origin, but their mark ups are way higher than retail at present. If I can get Play or Game to send me a cheaper retail copy, why on earth would I buy direct, especially when as Jockie mentions I get all the advantages of registering the game on Origin anyway.

and prices are so much lower on origin than on steam.

EA set their own prices on Steam (Valve don't set the prices). In fact Crysis 2 was cheaper via Steam 29.99 and now on Origin it's 34.99 (WTF...)

somini
15-06-2011, 01:41 PM
The prblem is that Origin will probably work like Steamworks, retail games will have to activate there. At least it seems the right thing for them to do. If it is that way I will think several times before buying ME3. Battlefield 3 was a Steam Sale purchase, but not with Origin for me.
I think EA is inherently worse than Steam, because not every good game is published by EA. This is one of the deal breakers for me

Kadayi
15-06-2011, 02:02 PM
From a business perspective this sort of makes sense for EA, but as a digital consumer I'm a little put out by it all as I personally like having my digital games in one place and I use Valves community features a lot. I only bought TW2 via GoG simply because the incentized it greatly, but given the option I'd of preferred it via Steam (I buy my old classics via GoG).

My suspicion is that EA will make both ME3 & DA3 Origins exclusives as well, which ultimately means I'm going to end up buying retail copies because Origins prices are completely out or wack with UK pricing and that's a kick in the teeth as presently I have all of the other versions digital only. I actively dislike buying retail copies of anything (unless absolutely necessary) because I have eleventy hundred assorted DVDs, CDs & Games already, my apartment isn't getting any bigger and the thing I least need in my life is more plastic cases to gather dust....

icupnimpn2
15-06-2011, 02:04 PM
I don't have any problem with Crysis 2 pulling out from Steam. In fact, I respect that Crysis 2 pulled out instead of risking the consequences. But next time, Crysis 2, just use a condom or choose abstinence.

Lukasz
15-06-2011, 02:38 PM
EA set their own prices on Steam (Valve don't set the prices). In fact Crysis 2 was cheaper via Steam 29.99 and now on Origin it's 34.99 (WTF...)
I know that ea sets the prices. i don't care about that tough. only what is a better value.

and in British empire origin might be more expensive. I was speaking tough about Poland where prices are way smaller than on steam.

and i do like the idea of retail being also a digital like with valve's games.

Unaco
15-06-2011, 02:47 PM
They are thinking that they can do with BF3 what Half-Life 2 and Counter-Strike did for Steam. Good luck to them, I guess.

It's just such a shame that they are, what, 7 years(?) late to the party. This would have been a great way of competing with Steam and doing what Steam did (with HL2/Steam exclusivity), if they had done it 6 or 7 years ago. As it is now, Steam is pretty much the ubiquitous, firmly established, well known Digital Download/Game Catalogue/Shop/Social Space.

deano2099
15-06-2011, 03:12 PM
My suspicion is that EA will make both ME3 & DA3 Origins exclusives as well, which ultimately means I'm going to end up buying retail copies because Origins prices are completely out or wack with UK pricing and that's a kick in the teeth as presently I have all of the other versions digital only. I actively dislike buying retail copies of anything (unless absolutely necessary) because I have eleventy hundred assorted DVDs, CDs & Games already, my apartment isn't getting any bigger and the thing I least need in my life is more plastic cases to gather dust....

Well it sounds like they'll register on Origin (possibly compulsory) so you can always chuck the discs and cases I guess.

Jockie
15-06-2011, 05:19 PM
For me, Origin isn't really a problem, I already had EA DM on my PC, because I used a couple of discount coupons from LewieP's bargain bucket (or another equivalent site, I forget) to get a decent price. Origin is essentially EA DM with some added social features for me to completely ignore.

When new games come out on Steam, they're invariably found cheaper elsewhere and I tend to buy them retail (Play.com, Greenmangaming etc) and add them to Steam with the key, and since you can do that with Origin too, it's six and two threes.

Yeah, it's another application, I could probably do without, but the inconvenience of moving my right hand 3 inches then the strain of using my index finger to exert pressure upon a piece of plastic twice in quick succession is not quite enough to put me off a quality gaming experience.

I don't think Origin will rival Steam while only supporting EA games and unless they integrate some cool stuff into their games with the social stuff, I can see that side being neglected entirely by most users. But competition is good and I don't begrudge EA wanting their 30% back. If like Kadayi says, they realise that to entice people to their service they need to start pricing competitively, then we're the one's who stand to benefit from that. So for that reason, I hope Origin does well.

EDIT:

However, I CAN see EA doing some utter BS like having pre-order bonuses that only apply to products bought via Origin. If that is the case, I hope it explodes in a fiery mess and causes agony to the people who made that decision.

somini
15-06-2011, 09:10 PM
Well it sounds like they'll register on Origin (possibly compulsory) so you can always chuck the discs and cases I guess.

That is exactly the problem. If I have to install Origin to run Mass Effect 3 retail I might as well buy it and crack it. How can Origin can compete with Steam, a system that has been perfected for the last few years if this move was to spend less money? I can't make sense of this.

thegooseking
15-06-2011, 09:22 PM
Silly EA. Origin is a synonym for Source, not Steam. You've picked the wrong Valve brand to emulate!

Vague-rant
15-06-2011, 09:26 PM
Next they plan to release a game engine called Vapour, which is pretty good but no one else will use.

Lukasz
15-06-2011, 09:28 PM
That is exactly the problem. If I have to install Origin to run Mass Effect 3 retail I might as well buy it and crack it. How can Origin can compete with Steam, a system that has been perfected for the last few years if this move was to spend less money? I can't make sense of this.

not to spend less money. to not give extra money from their games to another publisher and developer.

somini
15-06-2011, 09:32 PM
not to spend less money. to not give extra money from their games to another publisher and developer.
Which is even worse... Every time this story comes out it get worse for EA.

somini
15-06-2011, 09:35 PM
Silly EA. Origin is a synonym for Source, not Steam. You've picked the wrong Valve brand to emulate!
Mister Pony, you win infinite internets.
The true name should be Water. Or Gas. Or Oil...