PDA

View Full Version : An IceWind Dale (2?) Coop Run. Takers?

Wolfenswan
08-04-2012, 12:11 PM
I'll just go ahead and say we try our first attempt on this at Wednesday the 9th of May, at 8 BST/9 CET.

Add me on Steam (http://steamcommunity.com/id/wolfenswan) if you're interested and give me a quick shout. If more than 6 contact me I'll prefer those who came first in this thread but with some luck we'll be enough then to create a second party.

Please get GameRanger (http://www.gameranger.com/) set up to ensure working multiplayer. It's straightforward, only in rare cases you might need to forward ports (http://www.gameranger.com/support/network/).

For communication purposes we're going to use the inofficial RPS Mumble server and the ingame chat. Mumble (http://mumble.sourceforge.net/) is a free VOIP client like Teamspeak. Connect to server.herosquad.org and the default port. Password if prompted is rumpus. Please use push-to-talk instead of voice activation, listening to you scolding your cat or eating cheetos isn't as delightful as it sounds.

Game Version is v2.01 (101615) (start the game and check the options menu)

Spreadsheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AveusxFiMXSDdHBHSXd5by1ELV9ZUU1TdU01SWlMY UE#gid=0) for classes 'n stuff.

Old Post:

Is anyone interested in doing this? 6 people would be awesome but of course we could split characters if we had less.

And why IceWind Dale instead of BG?
Well, less dialog, more fighting and someone to exchange small talk with while doing the more tedious parts of the game - what could go wrong?

Personally I'd prefer doing IWD2 as its Multiplayer is supposed to run without much hassle using GameRanger (http://www.gameranger.com/).

So far (10/12):
Wolfenswan
Heliocentric
Kelron
Anthile
Labbes
Squirrelfanatic
Choca
Pakoito
Orentes
The Doge

Heliocentric
08-04-2012, 12:18 PM
I hear word that IWD#1 is better? They are the 2 infinity engine games I never played, but yes after buying them recently from GamersGate I would certainly be interested in some cooperative gathering my adventurers before venturing forth.

Kelron
08-04-2012, 12:23 PM
I'd prefer to play 2.

Anthile
08-04-2012, 12:34 PM
You have my sword.

Danny252
08-04-2012, 01:57 PM
You have my sword.

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1ub5u22aJ1r2xijoo1_500.png

(Not actually signing up for this, but I've been looking for an excuse to use that image for days)

Labbes
08-04-2012, 02:37 PM
I see that there six players have signed up already, but if it turns out somebody doesn't have time after all, I'd very much be up for it :)

MOKKA
08-04-2012, 02:42 PM
I would be interested, although I don't own the game and therefore never played it. But I don't think that this would be much of a problem, since you can get from almost everywhere by now.

Fumarole
08-04-2012, 03:02 PM
Too many conversations and store runs for me. Been there, done that, spent a lot of time waiting for people to do things. Good luck to you guys though.

Heliocentric
08-04-2012, 04:54 PM
The ideal is someone who can summon demons, that made playing NWN hilarious.

When outside the starting pub looks like Dante's Inferno you know you've found a good server.

Kelron
08-04-2012, 08:47 PM
It's a shame IWD doesn't have Wild Mages.

SMiD
08-04-2012, 11:24 PM
I'm so down for this if it's not too late. IWD 1 or 2 is fine; I've no preference. I'm East Coast, USA but I'll try to be as flexible as possible with playtimes if I can make it work.

Wolfenswan
26-04-2012, 10:53 PM
Gentleman! I've come back from the depths of Grimrock and would be interested to finally get this thing going. If those listed at the beginning of the thread could post a preferred weekday and maybe add me on Steam if not already done so?

I might set up a spreadsheet or something if need be, but atm. I'd prefer to keep it "local".

Kelron
26-04-2012, 11:49 PM
I'm usually good to start any evening around 8:30-9pm UK time.

Squiz
27-04-2012, 07:26 AM
In case somebody doesn't show up I'd be interested to act as a filler guy. I can make most weekdays after 7-8p.m. UTC+1.

Kadayi
27-04-2012, 07:57 AM
You guys can use my mumble server if you want (I can set up a room for you): -

IP: 85.236.97.19

Port: 1562

Choca
27-04-2012, 09:03 AM
If you guys ever need another, I'd be up for an Icewind Dale 2 run.

The first game is widely considered to be better but I'm already halfway through a rerun of it so I'm not that interested in starting it over. Plus I feel that Icewind Dale 2's ruleset is a better fit for a multiplayer run.

I was planning to make another run through it with a full halfling/gnome/dwarf team so I'll probably pick a small guy.

Wolfenswan
03-05-2012, 12:15 PM
I'll just go ahead and say we try our first attempt on this at Wednesday the 9th, at 8 BST/9 CET.

Add me on Steam (http://steamcommunity.com/id/wolfenswan) if you're interested and give me a quick shout. If more than 6 contact me I'll prefer those who came first in this thread but with some luck we'll be enough then to create a second party.

Please get GameRanger (http://www.gameranger.com/) set up to ensure working multiplayer. It's straightforward, only in rare cases you might need to forward ports (http://www.gameranger.com/support/network/).

For communication purposes we're going to use the inofficial RPS Mumble server and the ingame chat. Mumble is a free VOIP client like Teamspeak. Connect to server.herosquad.org and the default port. Password if prompted is rumpus.

Edit: OP updated with the same details.

pakoito
03-05-2012, 12:37 PM
I may be in if I am able to get the game (have boxed copy, gog does not redeem, netbook has no dvd drive, morally entitled) and the stuff setup and I remember I actually fucked signed up for it lol.

Choca
03-05-2012, 08:56 PM
I'm still up for it but with a Diablo III review to write soon and E3 looming on the horizon I might not be available to play so I'll only take a spot if no one else wants it.

SMiD
03-05-2012, 09:19 PM
Wolfenswan, you can take my name off the list to free up space in line. While I would love to be able to play IWD with you fine folks, my current schedule just won't allow it. Happy gaming, all!

Squiz
03-05-2012, 10:31 PM
Just in case I get in - any ideas what classes/roles would still be needed?

Heliocentric
03-05-2012, 10:40 PM
I don't know if I am shortlisted but if so I just wanted to know how munchkin friendly this gathering is.

If I went ranger/cleric half elf with full plate,a tower shield, a morning Star and a sling would anyone call bullshit?

Wolfenswan
03-05-2012, 10:56 PM
I was thinking of getting groupchat together on monday and/or thursday evening to determine classes etc.

I doubt we need powergaming builds but I'd say it's up to your discretion. Just don't pick anything that's so overpowered that it could solo IWD2 and ruins the others' fun.

Anthile
03-05-2012, 10:56 PM
Well, it's 3rd edition D&D which doesn't do initial multiclassing anymore. Basically, you start out with one class and once you level up you can choose whatever other class you qualify for, up to a maximum of three. So you can become a thief/cleric/tax lawyer if you like. It also depends on your race since races have preferred classes and restrict you in your choice and some classes also have some exceptions.
However, IWD2 does not do prestige classes which would usually do the job of fusing classes together and just about all classes get important special abilities in later levels so that means that in nine out of ten cases, multi-classing is a bad idea, except to grab free feats.

pakoito
03-05-2012, 11:19 PM
I don't know if I am shortlisted but if so I just wanted to know how munchkin friendly this gathering is.

If I went ranger/cleric half elf with full plate,a tower shield, a morning Star and a sling would anyone call bullshit?Nope, and it's good to know. I never played it, but I am feeling like reediting my TOEE semi-orc priest full str + focus on lances. 10 feet opportunity attack? NO PROBLEM BRAH!

Choca
04-05-2012, 01:40 AM
Nope, and it's good to know. I never played it, but I am feeling like reediting my TOEE semi-orc priest full str + focus on lances. 10 feet opportunity attack? NO PROBLEM BRAH!

I don't know if Icewind Dale 2 even handles opportunity attacks and melee weapon range, which were quite overpowered in ToEE (especially with Cleave thrown in for good measure).

Clerics are extremely powerful though, like in most D&D computer games.

Multi-classing is also a must, because some classes (like rogues, rangers and fighters) can give some good feats pretty quick and become more interesting to play once multi-classed with something else. Playing straight up fighter or rogue can be quite boring in Infinity Engine games.

I think we can manage good multi-classing builds without going full on min-max crazy, because the ruleset does allow some crazy stuff (like deep gnome tanks that can only be hit on natural 20s and can cast mirror image).

If I end up playing with you guys, I'll probably try for a Bard or a Druid/Fighter.

pakoito
04-05-2012, 01:55 AM
But is it 3 or AD&D? I know my way around 3, but I just learned how to THAC0, not even know how to minmax it.

EDIT: I would be grateful if someone could share his copy, I can give proof of purchase of 2008s Forgotten Realms Special Edition box with BG 1-2, ID 1-2 and NWN 1.

Choca
04-05-2012, 02:49 AM
But is it 3 or AD&D? I know my way around 3, but I just learned how to THAC0, not even know how to minmax it

Icewind Dale 2 uses a modified version of the Third Edition D&D Ruleset, you won't need to know anything about THAC0 :)

Just in case I get in - any ideas what classes/roles would still be needed?

Honestly, Icewind Dale 2 can be finished with pretty much any and every kind of classes in your team. To be safe, we'd need at least one tank and one healer but aside from that, I think the best way to go is to play whatever you want.

Squiz
04-05-2012, 07:29 AM
So, the list on the first page is up-to-date I assume? And is this going to be IWD1 or 2? From the last posts I got a strong #2-vibe (hehe) but I couldn't find a definite statement on that in this thread.

Wolfenswan
04-05-2012, 09:39 AM
So, the list on the first page is up-to-date I assume? And is this going to be IWD1 or 2? From the last posts I got a strong #2-vibe (hehe) but I couldn't find a definite statement on that in this thread.

Yes, IWD2.

So far I got pinged by 3 other people in Steam; Anthile, Kelron and squirrel plus Helios, Choca and pakoito still showing interesting in this thread. With me that's already a full party and we could consider sharing characters between people if we hit 6+ players.

Heliocentric
04-05-2012, 10:51 AM
I'll be a cleric happily, not worried about getting kills, and eventually ill be able raise our killed companions which will hopefully make the game more chilled out. Splattered by a trap? Not a problem.

Choca
04-05-2012, 11:32 AM
I'll be a cleric happily, not worried about getting kills, and eventually ill be able raise our killed companions which will hopefully make the game more chilled out. Splattered by a trap? Not a problem.

Oh you'll get plenty of kills as a cleric, especially once you get the awesome undead summon spell.

Icewind Dale 2 also has some pretty cool cleric only weapons IIRC.

Choose your domain wisely because you can get some cool free feats and/or spells depending on the divinity you choose :o

A Cleric of Lathander will make a great healer whereas a Battleguard of Tempus will make a great melee fighter thanks to free Martial Weapon and Weapon Focus for Axes.

I've ordered a new microphone to join you guys on mumble, I stepped on my old mic the other day...

Anthile
04-05-2012, 12:59 PM
Personally I love to play half-elves but there's no doubt it's the absolute worst race in IWD2. Even if you're not out to minmax the game to hell and back, it's hard to not look at the Aasimar if you wish to roll a cleric. The regular human is also a good choice.
The important thing about the cleric in IWD2 is that you can choose from none less than nine different deities, all of which grant you various bonus feats and you also receive bonus spells that tie in to the theme of your god. This way you can even get your hands on wizard or druid spells. For example, Tempus clerics get free axe proficiency and axe weapon focus feats for nothing whereas Talos clerics get minor lightning resistance, an exlcusive once-a-day ability and so many wizard spells that they become horrible cleric/wizard abominations in plate armor. If that sounds horribly imbalanced to you, that's because it is.

Choca
04-05-2012, 01:05 PM
Personally I love to play half-elves but there's no doubt it's the absolute worst race in IWD2. Even if you're not out to minmax the game to hell and back, it's hard to not look at the Aasimar if you wish to roll a cleric. The regular human is also a good choice.

Well the half-elves do have the same multiclass benefit as the humans, which is the very best choice in Icewind Dale 2, no contest. You can't beat an extra feat, extra starting skill points, extra skill points every level and automatic favourite class.

But who wants to play a boring human ? :p

pakoito
04-05-2012, 01:16 PM
I forgot it's Forgotten Realms and not vanilla. I want Pelor (heal+strengh) and polearm focus, what should I pick?

Choca
04-05-2012, 01:20 PM
I forgot it's Forgotten Realms and not vanilla. I want Pelor (heal+strengh) and polearm focus, what should I pick?

No Pelor in Icewind Dale 2, only Talos, Mask, Bane, Tempus, Oghma, Helm, Lathander, Selune and Ilmater.

pakoito
04-05-2012, 01:46 PM
No Pelor in Icewind Dale 2, only Talos, Mask, Bane, Tempus, Oghma, Helm, Lathander, Selune and Ilmater.And who's the more Pelor-like?

Anthile
04-05-2012, 01:53 PM
Lathander is pretty much the FR version of Pelor. If you order now you receive:

Lathander the Morninglord is the god of dawn and renewal. His priests, who share his title, can be found around the world helping communities grow and rebuild after times of trouble. Morninglords are known for their kindness and optimism.

Alignments: Lawful Good, Neutral Good, Chaotic Good, True Neutral

Advantages:
Improved Turning Feat (free).
Lathander's Renewal 1/day (cures 2x cleric level in hit points).
Domain spells:
1st: Sunscorch, Faerie Fire.
2nd: Restoration, Bull's Strength.
3rd: Agannazar's Scorcher, Negative Energy Protection.
4th: Shield of Lathander, Holy Smite.
5th: Flame Strike, Raise Dead.
6th: Heal, Fire Storm.
7th: Greater Restoration, Sunbeam.
8th: Aura of Vitality, Resurrection.
9th: Meteor Swarm, Mass Heal.

Also, this handy steak knife +1 if you order within the next five minutes!

SMiD
04-05-2012, 02:11 PM
With this happening, who's going to be sharing the tales of epic deeds? I'm sure there are others besides myself looking forward to reading the adventure of RPS RP-ers in IWD.

Squiz
04-05-2012, 02:47 PM
Then... hm... I could go with a Wizard. Or something tanky.

Choca
04-05-2012, 02:55 PM
With this happening, who's going to be sharing the tales of epic deeds? I'm sure there are others besides myself looking forward to reading the adventure of RPS RP-ers in IWD.

Well I am planning on rolling a bard so the task should be bestowed to me, but my english sucks so I might not be up to the task.

Anthile
04-05-2012, 03:06 PM
I'm definitely going to make plenty of screenshots but it would interesting to have AARs from the perspective of different characters.
Also, I'm most likely playing a monk or a barbarian. Not sure about the race yet.

Wolfenswan
04-05-2012, 03:14 PM
I was thinking of Frapsing some of it.

When considering your built you should all keep in mind that we begin at the depths of lvl1 and the tasty benefits of a munchkin built might never pay off in our game.

My prefered classes:
Human or Half-Orc Monk (meele-support, stealth, magekiller) or Half Elf Monk/Druid (Shapeshifting Awesomeness)
Deep Gnome Bard/Illusionist (support and I could take the skills like Diplomacy and Lore)
Halfling Rogue(/Ranger or /Fighter) (bit boring, stealthy melee)

I don't recall if the cleric's summon undead spell has been gimped in the latest version. Don't not being "broken" it makes the game a cake walk later on. I don't mind discussing and setting up house rules as we play if an ability or spells proves to be a bit too effective.

Labbes
04-05-2012, 03:50 PM
I am also still interested, saw the sudden burst of activity only today :) Are there enough people for two partys? (parties?)

Choca
04-05-2012, 04:44 PM
I was thinking of Frapsing some of it

I'll try to record it on twitch tv if I think about it, don't know if it'll work well though.

Squiz
04-05-2012, 05:35 PM
Ok, so we've got:

Anthile - Monk or Barbarian
Choca - Bard
Heliocentric - Cleric
pakoito - Cleric (Lathander?)
squirrelfanatic - Wizard or Sorcerer
Wolfenswan - Monk or Bard/Illusionist or Rogue/X

I'll have a look into the game settings and GameRanger over the weekend. Maybe we could try our connection settings before Wednesday in order to have enough time to correct for potential unexpected troubles.

As far as I remember it is possible to use custom portraits. Maybe it would be nice to have our forum avatars for one of the recordings? Just an idea, the selection of "in-game" portraits is pretty good if I remember correctly.

Wolfenswan
04-05-2012, 05:44 PM
Kelron's still in as well (he pinged me on Steam). Haven't heard back from Agent Orange or Vorrin however.

pakoito
04-05-2012, 06:57 PM
Gameranger and mumble configured for me.

Squiz
05-05-2012, 07:38 AM
Kelron's still in as well (he pinged me on Steam). Haven't heard back from Agent Orange or Vorrin however.Oh, sorry Kelron. What would be your preferences?

Wolfenswan
07-05-2012, 08:04 PM
As it stands we are 8 people which would suggest either switching characters, having two <6 player groups or broadening our recruitment efforts to get a full second party going.

I'll try and get a steam group chat going around 8-ish CET tomorrow so we can clear the details, decide on characters etc. So if you please add me on Steam if you haven't already done so. If necessary we can have another group chat on wednesday.

Squiz
07-05-2012, 08:12 PM
Two full groups would be better, I think. Switching characters could become a hassle and controlling more than one character even more so. That's speaking from personal experience, of course I don't know how well you guys multitask. :)

Kelron
07-05-2012, 08:55 PM
Oh, sorry Kelron. What would be your preferences?

Looks like we're a bit short on fighters, but maybe Monk + Cleric could handle that ok. I'd prefer playing Rogue or Wizard.

Wolfenswan
07-05-2012, 09:06 PM
Things for the chat tomorrow:
1. Some general Gameranger and IWD2 set up stuff (we just tested it with three people and it appeared to work fine).
2. Decision on classes
3. Decision whether or not to pick the convenience stuff from the Tweak Pack (http://www.gibberlings3.net/iwd2tweak/)
4. Decision on how to set up pausing

Orontes
07-05-2012, 09:13 PM
Can I join? Haven't played in ages but intrigued about this.

Squiz
07-05-2012, 09:16 PM
Looks like we're a bit short on fighters, but maybe Monk + Cleric could handle that ok. I'd prefer playing Rogue or Wizard.If the clerics can take care of themselves in a melée, I think we should be fine with a Sorcerer and Wizard (or Rogue... or Rogard!). Sorcerer would be my favourite pick.

Orontes
07-05-2012, 09:24 PM
One question: would we have to level up straight away? There is a tactic where you can gain extra xp by staying at your current level- killing monsters gets you more xp at a lower level than higher.

Wolfenswan
07-05-2012, 09:32 PM
Can I join? Haven't played in ages but intrigued about this.

sure, just check the main post. We still have room for several people.

Anthile
07-05-2012, 11:20 PM
I tested earlier with Wolfenswan using gameranger, it worked well and he murdered my poor pre-made drow in cold blood while still on the ship. That fiend!

1. The game seemingly likes to crash upon start but running it windowed seems to fix that problem. You can later revert to fullscreen with alt+enter.

2. You need to patch your game to the version 2.01, if it isn't already.

3. You can import characters at the beginning. That means we can already create characters and then simply import them when we start. That's going to save everyone a lot of time and people who are not sure about character creation can present their characters here to see if they are viable, if they wish.

I'm going to post a "useful notes" section regarding classes, races, skills and feats here tomorrow. I don't want to be that guy who tells everyone how and what to play, just preventing people from making easily avoidable mistakes. As someone else mentioned here before, IWD2 can be played through with just about any party constellation but it's still a hard game for the most part and I believe nothing is more frustrating than figuring out that your character just doesn't work or that you don't enjoy it halfway through the game.

The Doge
07-05-2012, 11:24 PM
if you guys are looking for more party members I usually play ranger but if the lack of warriors is a concern I will gladly play a pally/barb/fighter I am from western Canada but my semester is over so I'm free almost anytime to play

pakoito
07-05-2012, 11:29 PM
I am thinking of Human Wa1/PrX for the extra feats and running as tank, healer, secondary stabby stabby guy. Plan B is going Semi-Orc PrX which str bonus and extra competences makes up for the base attack loss until level 6.

Orontes
07-05-2012, 11:52 PM
A half-orc monk- maybe multi to cleric later on. Would that be viable?

pakoito
08-05-2012, 12:27 AM
I have experimented, I am going with Human Fi1/PrX. Not sure about polearms though, they are not as powerful as in ToEE and they apparently cannot be used 1 handed.

Recap:

Human Fi1 (TN)
Str 18 Dex 10 Con 16 Int 8 Wi 16 Cha 10
Concentration 2 Arcane Knowledge 1
Focus (Axes/Polearms), Power Strike, Cleave

Kelron
08-05-2012, 12:42 AM
I don't think we need to fuss too much over specific classes and stats, as long as we make sure the core roles are filled. You all seem quite familiar with the game, I'm sure everyone can be trusted not to make useless characters.

The Doge
08-05-2012, 12:46 AM
I don't think we need to fuss too much over specific classes and stats, as long as we make sure the core roles are filled. You all seem quite familiar with the game, I'm sure everyone can be trusted not to make useless characters.
Quick everyone chose rouges and max out our int. and str. or play as orc anything and put all your points into chr.

Kelron
08-05-2012, 12:48 AM
Anyone know if using a crack will stop multiplayer working? I have serious issues with my DVD drive.

The Doge
08-05-2012, 12:52 AM
IWD/II as far as I can remember doesn't need a CD key as far as I know then again I'm using my copy from my D&D collection I assume it doesn't effect MP in anyway if the game starts properly

Choca
08-05-2012, 05:29 AM
I have experimented, I am going with Human Fi1/PrX. Not sure about polearms though, they are not as powerful as in ToEE and they apparently cannot be used 1 handed.

Recap:

Human Fi1 (TN)
Focus (Axes/Polearms), Power Strike, Cleave

Yeah there are no 1-handed polearms in Icewind Dale 2 but they still benefit from added range (which means that you can attack ennemies through your summon or team mates). If you're looking for a good 1-handed weapon for a cleric then you might want to check out the Tempus domain, which gives you two Axe feats (including one that regular clerics can't get).

Looks like we're a bit short on fighters, but maybe Monk + Cleric could handle that ok. I'd prefer playing Rogue or Wizard.

We seem to have plenty of Clerics, they'll probably handle most of the melee and will end up being stronger than fighters anyway. We'll also have summons to handle some of the melee.

My bard will be able to lend a (tiny) hand in melee too once the buffs and song are up but if we really need more meat in melee I could just roll a fighter/cleric. We'll see.

Squiz
08-05-2012, 06:51 AM
Recap:

Human Fi1 (TN)
Focus (Axes/Polearms), Power Strike, CleaveJust a heads-up: Cleave doesn't seem to be all that useful in IWD2, I only saw it pop up infrequently in the status window (at the bottom of the screen) during my plays.

Choca
08-05-2012, 07:07 AM
Just a heads-up: Cleave doesn't seem to be all that useful in IWD2, I only saw it pop up infrequently in the status window (at the bottom of the screen) during my plays.

Cleave isn't bad with a long range weapon like a Polearm or hard hitting 2 handers, Improved Cleave (ie. putting two points in Cleave) is not that useful though.

Might be a good idea to select a weapon type before we start making characters so we don't have to fight over loot. Icewind Dale 2 has plenty of weapons for everybody but if we're all using the same type then we'll have a hard time getting upgrades.

Squiz
08-05-2012, 10:29 AM
Might be a good idea to select a weapon type before we start making characters so we don't have to fight over loot. Icewind Dale 2 has plenty of weapons for everybody but if we're all using the same type then we'll have a hard time getting upgrades.Usually I would say the classical choice for casters is the sling. But since both Kelron and me would like to play a mage (wiz/sorc) I was thinking about using crossbows.

Choca
08-05-2012, 10:43 AM
Usually I would say the classical choice for casters is the sling. But since both Kelron and me would like to play a mage (wiz/sorc) I was thinking about using crossbows.

If any of you plan to roll an elf, remember that they get the bow feat for free (and large sword too but that's not really useful for a pure caster).

My bard will probably go weapon finesse with short swords/daggers

Wolfenswan
08-05-2012, 10:48 AM
A fighter/wizard can use a few levels of fighter (for the bow feats, rapid shot etc) to become a great damage dealer/sniper.

And we should def. agree on weapon types and/or armor beforehand.
I've rolled my characters the other day and am now heavily in favour of either a monk 3/druid x or barb1/druid x but would also take the rogue/illusionist if necessary.

Choca
08-05-2012, 10:56 AM
take the rogue/illusionist if necessary.

I don't remember traps and locks to be that frequent in Icewind Dale 2 so I'm not sure we'll need a rogue.

Plus if we have a wizard in the team, he'll probably get enough skill points with high INT to get the search and disable skills high enough to be safe.

Squiz
08-05-2012, 11:09 AM
A fighter/wizard can use a few levels of fighter (for the bow feats, rapid shot etc) to become a great damage dealer/sniper.To be honest, I'd rather take the Wizard levels to get access to higher spell levels sooner. Sooner or later you won't be hitting many enemies as a Wizard using a bow anyways.

Anthile
08-05-2012, 12:20 PM
Feats:

Aegis of Rime/Aqua Mortis/Scion of Storms/Spirit of Flame: A substantial damage bonus and a permanent resistance increase. Amazing feats but you probably won't take all of them, even if it may seem tempting.

Ambidexterity/Two-Weapon Fighting: Dual wielding is pretty good but you need both of these feats to make it work. Rangers get them for free so it might be better to just take a level of ranger instead.

Arterial Strike: Pretty weak and it just doesn't do enough to be worth a feat.

Blind-Fight: It's just too situational.

Bullheaded: Not too bad but only if you intend to invest skills in intimidation. Humans and dwarves only.

Cleave: Basically, if you kill an enemy you get a free attack against another nearby enemy. Pretty good feat. The second rank allows you to do this indefinitely as long as you dish out killing blows. It's amusing to do this in a horde of goblins but it's just waaay too situational to ever invest more than one point in this.

Combat Casting: I have mixed feelings about this feat. On the one hand it gives a great boost to concentration checks but on the other hand you really shouldn't be attacked while casting in the first place. It's certainly not wasted but it really depends on how close to the frontlines you wish to be.

Courteous Magocracy: Solid feat, especially for sorcerers who engage in social skills.

Crippling Strike: Rubbish.

Deflect Arrows: Not bad but monks get this for free at the second level and it's inferior to dodge, which has the same requirements.

Dirty Fighting: Amazing feat. Grab it if you can. Even more effective when combined with the improved critical feat.

Discipline: Very good choice for all caster types.

Dodge: You can never have enough AC. Borders on mandatory.

Envenom Weapon: Very good feat. Works best against bosses. Unfortunately only available once a day.

Exotic Weapon Proficiency- Bastard Sword: Well, bastard swords have the best default stats of any weapons in the game but since you have to invest a feat just to wield one, this is strongly implied to be meant for the fighter who drowns in feats.

Expertise: So good, it borders on mandatory. You can give yourself a to-hit penalty ranging from 1-5 and receive a respective AC bonus - even if you're a wizard and never intend to smack somebody with your staff. The requirements are a bit steep, however.

Extra x: Pretty much wasted except for extra smiting and that is only good if you have a high enough charisma.

Fiendslayer: Just too situational. Paladins only anyways.

Forester: The most useless feat in the game.

Great Fortitude: Good feat, especially for caster types who suffer from low fortitude.

Hamstring: A very tactical feat. It requires a rather specific party constellation to make this feat work.

Heretic's Bane: Decent feat for all divine spellcasters who engage in melee combat.

Heroic Inspiration: Really only pays off if you intend to take a lot of hits so it's only useful for dedicated tanks. Restricted to bards, paladins and barbarians. Having a large amount of hit points boost this feat significantly.

Improved Critical: All melee types will be taking this, sooner or later.

Improved Evasion: Amazing feat and pretty much the only reason to ever get those ten rogue levels but even then it might not be the best trade.

Improved Initiative: I never figured out what exactly this feat does and I read that it might be bugged and not work at all.

Improved Turning: Hard to tell if it's worth a feat since it's rather difficult to get exact data on the nature of your enemies. Probably not.

Iron Will: Always worth it and best put to use for characters with low WIS.

Lightning Reflexes: Same as Iron Will but for folks with low DEX.

Lingering Song: Mandatory for bards.

Luck of Heroes: Probably the single best feat in the game, save for some high level ones, maybe. Humans only. Lightfoot halflings start with an equivalent that gives the same bonus.

Maximized Attacks: This feat is absolutely devastating but it requires TWO weapon specializations so it's most likely out of reach for non-fighters. Human clerics of Tempus might consider this one, maybe.

Mercantile Background: Just not worth a feat.

Power Attack: More damage at the cost of accuracy. Always worth a look for melee types.

Precise Shot: Reduces the range combat penalty against close range targets. Dubious feat because if anyone ever gets so close to you, you probably have bigger problems anyways and this feat does nothing to prevent such situations in the first place.

Rapid Shot: Kinda like power attack for ranged characters, except faster instead of harder but the effect is pretty much the same.

Resist Poison: Rubbish.

Slippery Mind: Good feat but also requires ten levels of rogue.

Snake Blood: The better resist poison. Still not amazing. Restricted to humans and only available at level 1.

Spell Focus x: Yes. This makes your spells much harder to avoid which translates to more damage and more effects. These feats are what transcends your wizard or sorcerer from demigod to harbinger of the apocalypse. Somewhat less mandatory for clerics or druids (though it very much depends on the build).

Spell Penetration: Magic resistant foes are amongst the most powerful in the game so one rank in this feat is good to have but can wait for some time.

Strong Back: Nothing a bag of holding cannot solve.

Subvocal Casting: Too situational to be really useful.

Toughness: Not enough bang for your buck. Skip.

Weapon Finesse: Great feat BUT it only works for daggers and short swords, you can't wear a shield without suffering a penalty and it only uses your DEX for to-hit, not for damage.

Wild Shape x: Rubbish.

Squiz
08-05-2012, 12:46 PM
Feats: Bullheaded: Not too bad but only if you intend to invest skills in intimidation. Humans and dwarves only. Can also be taken by Aasimars and Tieflings, if I remember correctly. It's not in the description, but it's possible.

pakoito
08-05-2012, 01:52 PM
Improved Initiative: I never figured out what exactly this feat does and I read that it might be bugged and not work at all.All turns in the engine last the same time, and each character has a priority on them. If you have the highest priority you will attack first.

An in-engine turn takes 2.5 seconds (not sure). When you engage in a combat the turn system starts to click. The lower you attack time is the sooner you will attack in those 2.5 seconds. It is not useful for attacking more often, but to assure you will get always the first blow in a combat.

Example with numbers pulled out of my ass:
Rogue Dex 18. +4 initiative. Would attack in second 0.33 of the clock.
Goblix, Dex 12. +1 initiative. Would attach in 1.00 of the clock.
Priest, Dex 6. -2 initiative. Attacks in 2.00 in the clock.

Maybe the priest can kill the goblin in two blows. If his initiative is lower than the goblin's he will get attacked twice before attacking twice himself. If it was higher he would get attacked only once.

carbon_dragon
08-05-2012, 04:34 PM
I hope you will post the results of your run. I no longer have a gaming group and my old group is distributed pretty widely geographically. If this works well, maybe there's a possibility that we could play together again. I like this idea a lot more than MMOs.

Squiz
08-05-2012, 05:43 PM
I hope you will post the results of your run. I no longer have a gaming group and my old group is distributed pretty widely geographically. If this works well, maybe there's a possibility that we could play together again. I like this idea a lot more than MMOs.I think there are still some slots left for a second group if you would like to join in.

Edit: Character has been generated.

"The Magnificient Zor" (alternatively "Squirrelfanatic" if we'd like to be able to easily identify characters)
Human Sorcerer
Str 9, Dex 18, Con 18, Int 3, Wis 10, Cha 18
Concentration & Spellcraft 3 each
Spell Focus Evocation x2

He's not the sharpest tool in the shed, but he makes up for it through dedication.

Editedit: Are there any spells we want to exclude/ban? I've only got to pick a few spells every level so I don't want to regret my choices lateron because I can't use some of them.

The Doge
08-05-2012, 07:28 PM
I've made 2 chars one is "Mina Winterfoot" half elf Ranger
Str.12 Dex.18 Con.10, Int. 12, Wis. 14, Chr. 10
Wilderness lore, Search, Animal empathy all at 4
Dodge

"Malikhai Blackmoor" Human Fighter
str.18, Dex. 12, Con. 16, Int. 10, Wis. 10, Chr. 10
Search 2, wilderness lore 1
Great Fortitude, Great swords 2, Power attack

Squiz
08-05-2012, 08:11 PM
We are meeting right now in Steam group chat if anybody reads this by chance.

pakoito
08-05-2012, 08:56 PM
I am late, UGH! Anyway, pretty much what I said before. Playtimes Mon-Thurs from 9 BST.

carbon_dragon
08-05-2012, 09:54 PM
I think there are still some slots left for a second group if you would like to join in.

That's very generous of you, but here on the East coast of the US, 8pm in Great Britain is about 3pm my time, and my employer might take a dim view of my participation ;-)

Maybe when I retire in a few years. I wonder if this sort of thing might encourage the game designers to start making these again, maybe designed for this (coop not MMO). Seems like something like Skyrim would be a natural, though Skyrim isn't really quite the same kind of RPG.

Orontes
08-05-2012, 11:01 PM
Wolfenswan my game just crashed, I'll try the link you sent me and join you tomorrow 7pm GMT. OK?

Heliocentric
09-05-2012, 12:24 AM
Sorry dudes, it was my birthday today and people were trying to get past my laser defence grid to see me, when will they learn its the kind of lasers that burn, not the kind that set of alarms?

pakoito
09-05-2012, 12:44 AM
Summary: 2 parties, you are in party A. Setup gameranger, setup mumble, set the game to windowed by default because it crashes fullscreen. Roll whatever you feel like.

Anthile
09-05-2012, 02:07 AM
Oh, another thing. It's not exactly viable to have more than one wizard in a party. There are simply not enough duplicate scrolls to sustain two or more wizards. All other spellcasters are fine as they get their fix whenever they level up.

Kelron
09-05-2012, 02:16 AM
Oh, another thing. It's not exactly viable to have more than one wizard in a party. There are simply not enough duplicate scrolls to sustain two or more wizards. All other spellcasters are fine as they get their fix whenever they level up.

Is this specifically an IWD 2 thing? I often have 2 wizards in the other infinity engine games.

Anthile
09-05-2012, 03:19 AM
Is this specifically an IWD 2 thing? I often have 2 wizards in the other infinity engine games.

Dunno, bards in IWD1 have to learn from scrolls as well and he didn't get the same spells as my wizard or much later. There aren't a lot of shops in IWD2 and loot is somewhat randomized so if you don't have a scroll you won't get a duplicate anytime soon. Also, you can still fail to learn a spell, vaporizing the scroll in the process.
In other words, I just pre-created my character, so it's for Team B the roster is:

Kelron - Rogue (probably multiclassing into something fightier later on)
Labbes - Cleric (of?)
Pakoito - Cleric (of?)
Orentes - Monk
Anthile - Wizard

Looks solid to me and I believe we have everything covered. Five instead of six people means more XP for everyone.

The Doge
09-05-2012, 05:43 AM
Team B is
Wolfenswan-Monk/druid
Squirrlefanatic-Sorcerer
Choca-Bard
Heliocentric- Cleric(of?)
The Doge- Fighter

Choca
09-05-2012, 07:35 AM

Another issue for wizards is that you will get most scrolls later than you should, meaning that you might get the ability to cast level 5 spells before you even have a level 5 spell in your spellbook. That's one of the reasons why most people like sorcerers better as pure arcane spellcaster and tend to multi-class wizards early.

As for our many clerics, remember that evil clerics can't cast spontaneous heals :D

Squiz
09-05-2012, 07:52 AM
As for our many clerics, remember that evil clerics can't cast spontaneous heals :DWere spontaneous heals conversions of other spells your character has prepared for the day?

Sorry dudes, it was my birthday today and people were trying to get past my laser defence grid to see me, when will they learn its the kind of lasers that burn, not the kind that set of alarms?Happy Birthday Helio! As a present you have been forcefully put into the evil/morally flexible group.

A general remark for my group: The plan for my character is to mainly dish out damage, there won't be many utility spells or summons in my repertoire. As a Sorcerer, I have a pretty limited amount of spells in my spellbook and can't adapt on the fly by learning from scrolls. I hope the Bard can take care of identifying stuff.

Choca
09-05-2012, 08:22 AM
Were spontaneous heals conversions of other spells your character has prepared for the day?

Shift-Clicking spells with a Cleric allows you to cast a healing spell of the same level... except for evil Clerics because they get (mostly useless) Inflict spells instead.

Squiz
09-05-2012, 08:55 AM
Ah yes, that was how it worked. This means that Clerics never need to memorize healing spells in the first place, right?

pakoito
09-05-2012, 01:02 PM
I did not even knew that existed for D&D3. So you can change as many spells as you want?

Labbes
09-05-2012, 01:05 PM
That's amazing. Cleric spells are so much fun, it would have been such a waste to use all slots for heal.
Edit: Did we make a time for this evening? I'll probably be available ~7pm CET because I still have to install the game and stuff.

pakoito
09-05-2012, 02:50 PM
I was planning for 8pm CET, I am missing UEFA's finals just for this so it'd better be fun lol

Kelron
09-05-2012, 04:57 PM
I thought we were planning to start at 8PM BST, or 9 CET, as it says in the first post. I can try and be ready earlier if that's too late for you dirty europeans, but no guarantees.

Labbes
09-05-2012, 05:49 PM
Good, that leaves me lots of time to get the game running.

pakoito
09-05-2012, 07:27 PM
Somebody is going to want to kill me buuuuuuuuuut do you mind if I skip this first one for football? Low levels are easy anyway and you know my chara stats :/

Labbes
09-05-2012, 07:33 PM
Unfortunately, I won't be able to join in either because I have the worst wifi stick ever and if I start IWD2, my internet stops. Same thing happens with 80% of games, unfortunately.
Anyway! I made a characer and uploaded him to here: http://www.2shared.com/file/OvE6BUHM/Characters.html
It would be nice if someone could give me some feedback, I figured that since group B doesn't have a dedicated mage, it might make sense to dualclass to illusionist. Not sure if that's a good idea though. I'll be in gameranger if someone is willing to help me not make a gimped character :)
Edit: Also I don't have lots of charisma because I figured pakoito would do the undead turning. And in the game.

Squiz
09-05-2012, 08:16 PM
Labbes, I don't think you need that much INT on your character, but maybe this is something you chose on purpose. Maybe put those points into STR or CON for a better melee... experience? :)

Labbes
09-05-2012, 08:29 PM
I'd need that INT when going for dualclass illusionist, but I'm not sure of how much use that is.

Wolfenswan
09-05-2012, 09:19 PM
You could dualclass wild elf cleric/sorcerer and save the Int.

Choca
09-05-2012, 09:42 PM
Saved this one for posterity :D (http://fr.twitch.tv/akwartz/b/317659637)

Labbes
09-05-2012, 09:47 PM
Could you post here next time you are going live? That would be much appreciated :)
Edit: I'll try some other character builds tomorrow, if my cable arrives (so my internet doesn't crash and burn all. the. time.).

Choca
09-05-2012, 09:51 PM
Could you post here next time you are going live? That would be much appreciated :)

I'll try, Xsplit sure doesn't like Infinity Engine games though so I don't know if everything will work.

Also it seems everyone's voice is on my videos except mine, which is strange, maybe I'll have to loop it back into my headset or something.

Squiz
09-05-2012, 10:46 PM
Saved this one for posterity :D (http://fr.twitch.tv/akwartz/b/317659637)You got that on tape?!?

The Doge
09-05-2012, 10:58 PM
hey sorry I missed today's run guys I got a last minute interview with a grocer but if anyone else missed today I'll play ctach up with them or I'll lvl my char to match your guy's lvls as I'm free the rest of the week

Kelron
10-05-2012, 12:30 AM
I don't want to exclude people, but I think it's going to be a pain if we're trying to cheat characters up to speed and switching players in and out. Wouldn't it be better if the people who missed today's session organise a 2nd group? We were going to do that but there were only 6 of us in the end.

Squiz
10-05-2012, 08:13 AM
Even if we didn't do very much in our first session, it was great fun to run around like headless chicken trying to figure out how things work. Next time we'll probably (and hopefully) have less technical difficulties and can spend more time playing the game. I'm looking forward to the next awkward magical mishap.

Edit: Wolfenswan, could you please put a link to the spreadsheet in the first post? That would be convenient. Thanks!

Wolfenswan
10-05-2012, 11:11 AM
Edit: Wolfenswan, could you please put a link to the spreadsheet in the first post? That would be convenient. Thanks!

Done.

That was good fun, let's just hope the area transition was a temporary issue. I don't recall if entering that area triggers a new chapter introduction or something; maybe we have to alt+window again or something silly.

Squiz
10-05-2012, 01:50 PM
You just move on to the town, there is no chapter introduction or dialogue. A weird issue, and pretty a critical one as well.

Choca
10-05-2012, 08:24 PM
If anyone cares to watch our entire wednesday night run (http://fr.twitch.tv/akwartz/b/317658805)

Somehow my voice didn't get recorded, I'll have to work on that next time.

Anthile
11-05-2012, 01:14 AM
Before I forget about it, to whomever played the sorcerer last time: I strongly advise against choosing the lower level summons. Unlike Animate Dead and some other spells, they don't scale at all and so you end up with spells that don't do anything at higher levels. Better get stuff with lasting value such as magic missile, shield, chromatic orb, etc.

Also, I suggest that we are having our next session this Sunday. Any objections or alternative dates?

Heliocentric
11-05-2012, 01:32 AM
Before I forget about it, to whomever played the sorcerer last time: I strongly advise against choosing the lower level summons. Unlike Animate Dead and some other spells, they don't scale at all and so you end up with spells that don't do anything at higher levels. Better get stuff with lasting value such as magic missile, shield, chromatic orb, etc.
I was a cleric who kept summoning stupid crap like dogs.
Maybe it was me you mean?

Squiz
11-05-2012, 07:58 AM
The Sorcerer was me, but I didn't summon anything or anyone. At the moment I've got exactly two spells in my spellbook/sorce-book(?), Magic Missile (ask the Halfling) and Ray of Enfeeblement. Thanks for the hint, I'll stay away from summons, if nothing else because summons don't go "BOOM" when they hit someone. :)

Choca
11-05-2012, 08:49 AM
The Sorcerer was me, but I didn't summon anything or anyone. At the moment I've got exactly two spells in my spellbook/sorce-book(?), Magic Missile (ask the Halfling) and Ray of Enfeeblement. Thanks for the hint, I'll stay away from summons, if nothing else because summons don't go "BOOM" when they hit someone. :)

Yeah Sorcerers are better off as bombardiers anyway because of the way they get their spells.

Wizards or Clerics should take care of summons since they can get rid of the spell once it becomes useless. Only exceptions are the ones that creates more powerful creatures as you level like Animate Dead or the various Shadow summons.

Squiz
11-05-2012, 10:55 AM
Also, I suggest that we are having our next session this Sunday. Any objections or alternative dates?Sunday would be fine for me.

Labbes
11-05-2012, 07:39 PM
Sunday is possible, the D3 servers are going to be overcrowded anyway.
I now have a cable connecting my laptop to the interwebs, so I can start IWD without my connection timing out. Yay!

Wolfenswan
11-05-2012, 09:30 PM
Sunday's good for me.

Kelron
11-05-2012, 09:35 PM
I don't mind missing Arma and playing Sunday evening, but I can't do daytime.

Choca
12-05-2012, 06:20 AM
I'm good for sunday too as long as we plan ahead because I left my headset at work and will have to get back there (which should take about ten minutes or something) in order to play :o

Squiz
12-05-2012, 05:45 PM
I'm good for sunday too as long as we plan ahead because I left my headset at work and will have to get back there (which should take about ten minutes or something) in order to play :oWhat can I say, I'll be there. 8pm CET sounds good?

Wolfenswan
12-05-2012, 05:54 PM
I can't make it past 8.30 or maybe 9.30 CET but I don't mind if someone takes my place (either with my character or his own).

Here's the autosave btw:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/27432883/000000000-Auto-Save.7z
(goes in mpsave in your IWD2 directory and replaces any existing autosave)

Squiz
12-05-2012, 05:58 PM
7pm CET would also be very doable for me, maybe even better.

Squiz
13-05-2012, 07:25 PM
Sorry for the double-post. It looks like we won't be enough people for a session tonight, so maybe we can plan ahead for next week. Especially since D3 is coming out...

Labbes
14-05-2012, 09:01 PM
I doodled something up so maybe we can get together this week: http://www.doodle.com/kazrtmygeyf7hp43
It's possible to list multiple days.

Edit: I just realized that not everyone might know what doodle is; it's basically a calendar-poll. You don't need to make an account, download anything or give out any personal information.

carbon_dragon
15-05-2012, 07:00 PM
Like what issues you had and how you solved them and what each participant had to do in order to participate? And a report of how the game went as well. I'm interested in this idea and I'm trying to judge vicariously how practical it might be for myself and a few of my stateside friends. Thanks.

Squiz
15-05-2012, 07:34 PM
Like what issues you had and how you solved them and what each participant had to do in order to participate? And a report of how the game went as well. I'm interested in this idea and I'm trying to judge vicariously how practical it might be for myself and a few of my stateside friends. Thanks.We'll surely post a report when we had our next session. Right now, our first session went surprisingly well. Gameranger allows for a relatively painless setup (even although I got a NAT router warning, I had no problems connecting). Just make sure you run the game in windowed mode on startup, else it will crash. Surprisingly, our game got stuck on the first area transition (from the harbour to the town) - the loading screen simply wouldn't go away, although everyone in the party had full progress bars. Hopefully, this will solve itself somehow.

carbon_dragon
15-05-2012, 10:27 PM
We'll surely post a report when we had our next session. Right now, our first session went surprisingly well. Gameranger allows for a relatively painless setup (even although I got a NAT router warning, I had no problems connecting). Just make sure you run the game in windowed mode on startup, else it will crash. Surprisingly, our game got stuck on the first area transition (from the harbour to the town) - the loading screen simply wouldn't go away, although everyone in the party had full progress bars. Hopefully, this will solve itself somehow.

I've been watching a guy named kikoskia on YouTube play Icewind Dale (1 I think) and the combat seems pretty frenetic when he's being mobbed. Looks fun but tough. I can see how multiple players each controlling a different characters would be interesting. Temple of Elemental Evil is nothing like that, there's no real time mode really. I can see how that would be hard to adapt for coop where Icewind Dale would be easier. Too bad you can't record your session.

Wolfenswan
16-05-2012, 12:36 AM
Too bad you can't record your session.

We can, I think the doge even streamed it. Generally I think with a group of friends or old acquaintances this game could be ace as you could communicate the where&when much more easily. As squirrel set, Gamerange makes it rather easy to get a game going, the old important bits are who picks which class and how to handle the dialogue and pausing.

That having said, I'll be gone until monday but you should def. have enough people now for 1 or even 2 parties.

carbon_dragon
16-05-2012, 05:07 PM
Any chance I could find it on youTube?

The Doge
16-05-2012, 11:25 PM
We can, I think the doge even streamed it. Generally I think with a group of friends or old acquaintances this game could be ace as you could communicate the where&when much more easily. As squirrel set, Gamerange makes it rather easy to get a game going, the old important bits are who picks which class and how to handle the dialogue and pausing.

That having said, I'll be gone until monday but you should def. have enough people now for 1 or even 2 parties.
no I was off at an interview for the first play I belive it was chocoa who filmed and posted it on his stream page a few posts up

Choca
17-05-2012, 07:32 AM
Any chance I could find it on youTube?

My recording of it can be found there : http://www.twitch.tv/akwartz/b/317658805

carbon_dragon
17-05-2012, 02:15 PM
There is only a 7 second video that might be Icewind Dale. Then there is a streets of rage video.

Squiz
17-05-2012, 05:12 PM
Guys, please have a look at the Doodle calendar Labbes put up (http://www.doodle.com/kazrtmygeyf7hp43) and tell us when you've got time. I'd like to keep this running.

Choca
17-05-2012, 09:06 PM
Just so you guys know, I won't be available for a very long time due to personnal health issues that just decided to pop up. So you can go ahead and remove my character from the party if you wish because I have no idea when I'll be able to play again.

Squiz
17-05-2012, 09:39 PM
Just so you guys know, I won't be available for a very long time due to personnal health issues that just decided to pop up. So you can go ahead and remove my character from the party if you wish because I have no idea when I'll be able to play again.I'm sorry to hear/read that. Hope you'll get well soon.

Squiz
20-05-2012, 06:21 PM
So, how are we going to handle tonight? The doodle calendar tells me that there are four people available. When would be a good time for you? For me, 20:00 CET would be fine.

pakoito
20-05-2012, 06:29 PM
I am here.

Squiz
20-05-2012, 08:05 PM
I am here.Me too. :) Sooo, anyone else?

Labbes
20-05-2012, 09:46 PM
Apologies for not making it, traffic was completely awful today so it took me two more hours to get to my university. Maaan.