PDA

View Full Version : Legend of Grimrock

Splynter
13-04-2012, 12:48 AM
Seeing as there are a fair few of us in the What Are you playing thread chatting about this game, it seems like a dedicated thread is in order. Let this been a place for impressions, criticism and strategies.

Personally, I quite like the game. I never played Dungeon Master or its ilk, and am thoroughly enjoying this modern take. There is one caveat, though: SPIDERS. I have to get past floor 3. I find I have to fight against my RPG/Related Genre tendency of hoarding everything, as there are no merchants that I know of and fairly limited inventory space.

Wolfenswan
13-04-2012, 12:55 AM
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?3914-Rock-Paper-Skellington-Legend-of-Grimlock-meta-LP-of-DEATH&p=114791#post114791

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?4156-The-Darkness-of-Grimrock-an-emotional-live-journey&p=114795#post114795

:)

And yes hoarding. Brings back memories of Anvil of Dawn, lugging sacks full of stones everywhere.

Splynter
13-04-2012, 12:56 AM
Oh silly me...

EDIT: In my defense, they do seem to be LPs rather than discussion threads.

Flint
13-04-2012, 12:57 AM
Yeah, it's amazing. I've never played the old dungeon crawlers either though I've always read about them, including walkthroughs at the time - so damn interesting, just never got the chance to play the games. So I've been really loving the chance to finally get involved with the sub-genre, even if with a new game. But yeah, mechanically great, design's good, pretty much everything's great except the GODDAMN SPIDERS ARGH. Well, those and the bug that removes my keybindings for looking left and right every time I quit the game but still. Great game.

Fuck the spiders though, god. First time I've felt freaked out by virtual spiders.

Wolfenswan
13-04-2012, 01:02 AM
EDIT: In my defense, they do seem to be LPs rather than discussion threads.

true, the other was basically hijacked for a more general discussion.

It's funny to see the hint subsection of their official forums EXPLODING since release. I love reading all the threads for puzzles I have already solved on my own.

cosmicolor
13-04-2012, 01:05 AM
Flint, I would recommend Lands of Lore if you want more of this genre: I got it not long go and as someone who was totally new to the genre it was a good buy. I would recommend following an FAQ for its dungeons, though. Lands of Lore 1&2 are available on GoG so I would grab it at some point.

And as for Grimrock, aside from having the shit unnerved out of me by spiders (enough for me to want to stop playing it for a while) I am really liking it, honestly. It looks stunning, runs really well (although it apparently lacks an FPS cap without vsync on which has a big impact on super-powered computers), doesn't hold your hand and really does a good job of being immersive.

Splynter
13-04-2012, 01:10 AM
The puzzles that I've encountered so far are quite good. They're not brain-melting, but they sure are better than, say, block pushing puzzles.

I think we can safely conclude, what with all the spider issues, that we are all a bunch of nancies.

cosmicolor
13-04-2012, 01:12 AM
I honestly thought it wouldn't be that bad (I mean, they're just video game spiders) then I got to floor 3 and ran into them and had some sort of primal, uncontrollable unnerving.

Same with that pic from Dark Messiah that someone thought it would be an excellent idea to post in the recently played thread.

Flint
13-04-2012, 01:16 AM
It wouldn't be so bad if they weren't so horridly stealthy. The animation is really lively and somewhat creepy on its own, but when your screen suddenly fills with spider legs when yet another one has somehow managed to sneak behind you, the freak-out truly happens. Add to that the fact that they move in hordes...

Splynter
13-04-2012, 01:16 AM
I honestly thought it wouldn't be that bad (I mean, they're just video game spiders) then I got to floor 3 and ran into them and had some sort of primal, uncontrollable unnerving.

Same with that pic from Dark Messiah that someone thought it would be an excellent idea to post in the recently played thread.

I think it's the fact that they look realistic, or at least convincing, and also that they jump INTO YOUR FACE.

Reinhardt
13-04-2012, 01:58 AM
I'm loving this game even more than I expected to! It's not something to which I can devote hours and hours, but I like to drop in and explore half a floor or so before quitting to come back later. I'm very pleased with the general atmosphere and the animation is really impressive.

But I do have one issue...

Is it possible to hotkey your characters' attacks? Clicking on the item I want to use or repeatedly clicking combinations of spell runes during combat is tiresome. If I could map favorite spells or attacks to my mouse and keys I'd be enormously relieved.

I understand that it may be a design decision to limit this kind of interaction, because it makes combat encounters more challenging, and even more stressful to some degree... but I can't help but feel that I fight the control scheme more often than I do the enemies.

cosmicolor
13-04-2012, 02:02 AM
Not officially, but someone on the Something Awful forums is developing an autohotkey script to allow that which can be found here (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3433093&pagenumber=36&perpage=40#post402523093). Bear in mind that his script is for one specific resolution so you may have to do some messing around with it to get it to work properly for you.

Reinhardt
13-04-2012, 02:20 AM
Wow, thank you. Works nicely.

BobbyFizz
13-04-2012, 03:23 AM
I've got to say this game is a more than a little heart warming, and I genuinely have no qualms or problems with it.

Cracking game, get it if you haven't already.

Juan Carlo
13-04-2012, 03:32 AM
I haven't bought this game yet, but how are the puzzles anyway? I usually hate out of context "puzzle" type puzzles in games. If I want to do a rubix cube or a sudoku puzzle I will. And if I want to play a role playing game I will. However, I usually don't like it when my RPG suddenly stops and forces me to do an elaborate logic puzzle before I can advance--especially when the puzzle isn't very well integrated into the the environment.

Flint
13-04-2012, 08:54 AM
I haven't bought this game yet, but how are the puzzles anyway? I usually hate out of context "puzzle" type puzzles in games. If I want to do a rubix cube or a sudoku puzzle I will. And if I want to play a role playing game I will. However, I usually don't like it when my RPG suddenly stops and forces me to do an elaborate logic puzzle before I can advance--especially when the puzzle isn't very well integrated into the the environment.
I'd say the puzzles are very good. So far I haven't come across any of the stock puzzles; all the ones so far have been about deciphering cryptic hints or environmental clues, using your wits and skills to advance. They don't explain too much and leave room for the player to actually think, which is great.

Ninjafoodstuff
13-04-2012, 10:22 AM
The nostalgia for me really set in when the tutorial said - click in the top half of the to throw, the bottom half to drop. Yes, I'd forgotten that this was the way it was. 20 years later, still an intuitive mechanic.

I also love that you can annotate the map. Shameful that for most modern games that's not possible.

Drake Sigar
13-04-2012, 11:53 AM
At least you can tell which way the spiders are going. Those damn crabs can walk sideways and don't have to waste time turning.

NathanH
13-04-2012, 02:04 PM
Is there a way to adjust the volume?

Moraven
13-04-2012, 02:28 PM
I think they plan the ability to hotkey spells in the future.

Jeremy
13-04-2012, 02:35 PM
Really loving this game so far. It does a good job of creating puzzles, creating insurmountable rage, and then giving you that sense of accomplishment after completing a particularly difficult/stressful section. Basically, all of that was in level 3, those spiders are the worst(in a good way).

Still, there have been a couple of rooms that I've missed, and I know it, and it galls me.

CitizenDickbag
13-04-2012, 02:48 PM
What's the latest word on the release of the editor?

Also, I love that all mages in your party can learn a spell from just one scroll.

fionny
13-04-2012, 02:50 PM
Picked this up last night, really enjoying it! I was wondering why my computer sounded like a jet engine last night until I read this thread! will turn on vsync tonight :)

Chevy
13-04-2012, 02:52 PM
Also, I love that all mages in your party can learn a spell from just one scroll.

Actually, the scrolls just tell you the combinations if you don't already know them. As long as you have a high enough skill, you can cast any spell in the game without first having found a scroll.

cosmicolor
13-04-2012, 03:07 PM
Patch incoming, as of now include the following:

- vsync is enabled by default
- borderless windows are no longer topmost
- pressing ESC closes character sheet
- fixed unlimited frost arrow exploit
- bug fix: topmost menu item don’t work reliably in 25601440 resolution
- bug fix: wall text translations are not dismissed when right-clicking
- bug fix: inanimate objects can be backstabbed
- bug fix: projectiles go through doors in some very rare cases
- improved display resolution auto-detection at first launch
- fixed a couple of typos
- removed check that disables high texture resolution setting when running low on video memory (some graphics drivers seem to report available video memory incorrectly)

The devs hinted that there might be more in this patch, but there probably won't be much more if it's, as they say, likely going live next week.

Ravelle
13-04-2012, 04:01 PM
Arrived at floor 3, those platoons scared me for a moment but some ice shard spell took care of them quite easily.

I noticed in some areas you hear some whooshy mechanical noise, what's that about? I looked around for switches or rock chips but couldn't find anything.

fionny
13-04-2012, 04:15 PM
- pressing ESC closes character sheet

That fix alone has already made me a happy camper, I dont know how many times last night i had the inventory window open hit escape only to grumble at myself...

Drake Sigar
13-04-2012, 04:37 PM
Floor 10. :) I am meeting some badass monsters now. Minor spoilers: it's the race from those hooded statues with the tentacle faces. No don't call them illthids, we're not using that word! These guys are have a range of spells including one which absorbs all attacks. While watching me play, my brother has taken to saying "they've adapted!"

Vexing Vision
13-04-2012, 04:45 PM
Progressing to level 5 at the moment. That poetry-riddle was really, really enjoyable.

I don't get why people don't like the magic system. I honestly do not understand. I love the hectic clicking on the right runes in the middle of a battle while trying not to get cornered between multiple enemies. This is FUN. I do regret trying to make an Evasion rogue for frontline though, and then accidentally giving a +15 health book to one of my mages. Shay just keeps dying all the time, although her new equipment helps a lot.

Wolfenswan
13-04-2012, 04:47 PM
Floor 10. :) I am meeting some badass monsters now

hehe met them too, great fun.

Meet the Gang:
(SPOILER-Warning as i took that photo in level 10, so there's quite a bit of nice equipment to see.)
http://imgur.com/m4B6a,bx343,aGDWh,Flrtv#3

Jeremy
13-04-2012, 05:12 PM
I'm with you Vexing Vision, I love the hectic nature of casting spells while trying to dodge, position, and attack. It makes my miscasting of spells seem more realistic in that sense, rather than just a flat percentage of failure. Obviously, not every game would be able to successfully implement a rune system(like any sort of D&D based RPG), but I really enjoy it in all of it's chaos.

Wizardry
13-04-2012, 05:31 PM
Progressing to level 5 at the moment. That poetry-riddle was really, really enjoyable.

I don't get why people don't like the magic system. I honestly do not understand. I love the hectic clicking on the right runes in the middle of a battle while trying not to get cornered between multiple enemies. This is FUN. I do regret trying to make an Evasion rogue for frontline though, and then accidentally giving a +15 health book to one of my mages. Shay just keeps dying all the time, although her new equipment helps a lot.
Probably something to do with the casting speed/reaction should be tied to the character and not the player. But hey, this is an action RPG I guess.

Inverselaw
13-04-2012, 06:01 PM
oh god oh god those spiders those spiders!

oh jeez! Not a pleasant evening for an arachnophobe, not gonna lie. pretty surprised I got through in an evening though kept thinking I was going to take a break but I didnt want to stop.

Effective coping method involved not looking at the main screen area during combat (seriously Face hugger animation?). Though at one point attacking a spider I heard the tell tale sound of a door opening and realized that i was going to get flanked so I ran back like mad and eventually ended up in the newly opened room where a pair of spiders proceeded to eat my team alive while I sat there wimpering.

Oh well, Its all behind me now, slimes were a nice change and that reward crossbow is quite nice, lvl 4 is shaping up to be a puzzle level which is a nice change for the nerves.

TillEulenspiegel
13-04-2012, 06:11 PM
I don't get why people don't like the magic system. I honestly do not understand. I love the hectic clicking
My wrist isn't a fan. The same system on a touchscreen tablet or with keyboard shortcuts would be fine, though. I found another autohotkey script on the official forums, and I think I'll take a break and wait til that's finished.

Chevy
13-04-2012, 07:00 PM
My wrist isn't a fan. The same system on a touchscreen tablet or with keyboard shortcuts would be fine, though. I found another autohotkey script on the official forums, and I think I'll take a break and wait til that's finished.

I hope they patch in keyboard shortcuts for combat. That will turn this game from pretty good to great. Maybe I'll try the hacky autohotkey scripts, but I really hope for an official change.

Splynter
13-04-2012, 07:35 PM
I noticed in some areas you hear some whooshy mechanical noise, what's that about? I looked around for switches or rock chips but couldn't find anything.

I noticed those too. I think they may just be 'ATMOSPHERE', as I haven't managed to find sources. Also, and this may be a SPOILER, though I'm not sure, I've been fighting monsters and had little earthquakes happen. I'm not sure what they mean yet, or if they are simply another effect for atmosphere.

Robert
13-04-2012, 08:22 PM
I always thought the skeletal soldies made the mechanical noises, even in another section, if the absolute distance is a couple of blocks.

lasikbear
13-04-2012, 08:24 PM
Yeah, I think its the group of 4 skeletons that does it, but you can hear them through walls.

hariseldon
13-04-2012, 08:28 PM
This game is good. Was rather embarassed in the living room with my housemates, playing with headphones on and something creeped me out so I made a bit of a 'weirhfrufou' noise.. Not something that happens that often. Well worth the investment.

Ravelle
13-04-2012, 08:50 PM
I always thought the skeletal soldies made the mechanical noises, even in another section, if the absolute distance is a couple of blocks.

Ah okay, thought it sounded a lot like mechanical blades swooping.

squareking
13-04-2012, 08:54 PM
Freaking scoured the 2nd floor looking for the key to the door in the cell area. Learned how to pick up items behind bars, though.

Ravelle
13-04-2012, 09:16 PM
The first thing you learn is that you never, ever get your back to a corner.

Flint
13-04-2012, 09:36 PM
The first thing you learn is that you never, ever get your back to a corner.
And yet you still find yourself doing it time and time again.

Drake Sigar
13-04-2012, 09:37 PM
Finished. The ending was a bit... weird. Overall though, Grimrock was a great experience for me, as evident by my spending every waking hour playing it (not normal for me I assure you).

Anthile
13-04-2012, 09:40 PM
Finished. The ending was a bit... weird. Overall though, Grimrock was a great experience for me, as evident by my spending every waking hour playing it (not normal for me I assure you).

How long did it take?

Also, considering that at least the GOG version came with a map, maybe we can see some outdoor exploration in the inevitable sequel.

Ravelle
13-04-2012, 09:40 PM

You're a beast, Drake.

@ Flint, tell me about it! Most of the time because you backup dodging enemies. ;p

I also corrected myself fighting enemies, at first I played it like a final fantasy game and stood still while fighting, then I learned you should dance around them. ;D

Drake Sigar
13-04-2012, 09:47 PM
How long did it take?

Took me around 16 hours, with an hour or so spend backtracking for loot. My party was kitted out with all kinds of powerful stuff, but I still missed plenty. Even left one of the bronze doors unmolested.

mammothbaby
13-04-2012, 10:28 PM
Just wanted to pop in and say that I'm loving the game as well. Just starting level 6, and the opening room looks like a beast. I know I've missed a bunch of stuff, not the least of which are those big metal super secret doors, and I have no idea what crossbow Inverselaw is talking about. I'm already excited about my next playthrough. :)

Oh, and thanks for the vsync tip!

Ravelle
13-04-2012, 10:56 PM
The warping portal room is seriously grind my gears at the moment, obviously I am missing something simple like always. The rock I threw on the pressure plate teleports back to the starting location and the gate closes with lightning speed, I tried going left but I'm not able to reach it because it launches me right back to the beginning. =x

Strange_guy
13-04-2012, 11:59 PM
I think I know which one you are talking about Ravelle if you want it a quick hint-there's another pressure plate

Personally I'm stuck at one of the 4 floor 4 branches, the second puzzle of the 'time and tides' one. While I can go and do one of the other two I haven't completed I'll have to do it eventually. Between the random chance of the bat blocking my path, the annoyance of the area you get dropped to meaning I just load, how there isn't anywhere to go and I see no way to interact with the environment that would change that, having already removed the torch and pushed the button. Though I've just had an idea, that I guess I'll have to try.

apricotsoup
14-04-2012, 12:26 AM
Ok so I'm on floor 4 now, I'm hoping the awesome loot hasn't started appearing yet cause I don't feel overly well equipped right now. I know I missed a couple of things on floor 3 though :o

Ravelle
14-04-2012, 12:28 AM
Ok so I'm on floor 4 now, I'm hoping the awesome loot hasn't started appearing yet cause I don't feel overly well equipped right now. I know I missed a couple of things on floor 3 though :o

Got eyestrain yet from staring at wallbricks? ;p

@SG, thanks!

Wolfenswan
14-04-2012, 01:02 AM
And i'm done too. Here's my end-game statistic:
http://imgur.com/3HhyJ

I agree on the ending, really weird and somewhat broke the flow. Still, great game and I'm really looking forward to more stuff in from those guys.

Strange_guy
14-04-2012, 01:12 AM
Turns out my idea was right. Ran into another nasty puzzle on the same floor, the one with changing portals with a pressure plate floor, that took a lot of trial and error to do, to the point I feel I must have been missing something, though I did complete it. And now I have the four scrolls in what I think is the right place wondering what I have to do/have done wrong.

Fruppy
14-04-2012, 02:50 AM
Enjoying the game a lot and I learned to -always- read the text on the walls the hard way. >.>

Wizardry
14-04-2012, 03:23 AM
Enjoying the game a lot and I learned to -always- read the text on the walls the hard way. >.>
Upside down? Through a mirror? Both together?

JackShandy
14-04-2012, 03:29 AM
Something really cool I discovered - possibly a spoiler-

If you take off your torches, you can see the light coming in from under secret doors.

Drinking with Skeletons
14-04-2012, 03:31 AM
I'll admit my shame and say that I'm playing the game on Easy, since I've never played this type of game before and all of the reviews have made it sound rather unforgiving.

I'm really enjoying it so far! The enemies aren't pushovers--I'd say Easy LoG is a little tougher than Normal Skyrim--but I haven't found them to be impossible. I'm a rather tightly wound person, and the game's got a habit of throwing out monsters unexpectedly. That first skeleton was an "OH SHIT" moment for me, as I opened a little puzzle-door and BAM there he was stabbing at me. I've got to say, those skeletons are probably the best I've seen in an un-modded game (re-constructing skeletons in modded Oblivion still win overall), what with their creepy and very effective party-up mentality.

The puzzles are quite good, too. I'm stuck at the teleport room mentioned earlier. I figured there was another pressure plate, but where? I found about 3 in the floor below (via pits) but they didn't seem to affect the room.

One complaint: why isn't there any information on what each Rune means in the game? Would it have been so hard to include in the pause menu the option to see which Rune is "Earth," which is "Fire," etc. to make combining them a little more intuitive rather than just arbitrarily mixing and matching?

Vexing Vision
14-04-2012, 03:44 AM
The puzzles are quite good, too. I'm stuck at the teleport room mentioned earlier. I figured there was another pressure plate, but where? I found about 3 in the floor below (via pits) but they didn't seem to affect the room.

*minor spoiler* You can throw things over the pit in the middle, you know?

Drinking with Skeletons
14-04-2012, 04:08 AM
*minor spoiler* You can throw things over the pit in the middle, you know?

Hmmm...Going to have to take a good long look at that. Since the moving teleporters bring objects back to the entrance, I'm guessing that it's got a lot to do with timing your throw?

Drake Sigar
14-04-2012, 10:19 AM
Well you've probably done it by now, but if not, this is what you have to do: time your run to follow the moving teleporter. head right, then stop before you reach the dead end. Turn left (looking in the pit's direction now) and fling a stone or some such over to a pressure plate. This raises the pit doors and gives you a safe zone from the moving teleporter.

Hope I'm thinking of the right one!

By the way guys, my party ended up at level 14, all of whom had two skill trees about half finished. I was hoping to max out axes at least, but that just doesn't seem possible unless you specialise in only one skill.

Fruppy
14-04-2012, 10:53 AM
Upside down? Through a mirror? Both together?
Enter your grave.

Ravelle
14-04-2012, 11:07 AM
Enter your grave.

I found out there is always another way to defeat the enemies in a trap-ish room, like the Thy grave room, standing outside throw something on the pressure plate inside, all the skeletons will come out walking in circles and when they see you just stare at you from behind the gate, now just press the switch on the left wall to open the gate to let him out and walk back some and take your sweet time killing him, repeat this for the others too.

Fruppy
14-04-2012, 11:29 AM
I found...

Hah! I walked inside, shat my pants, ran in circles for my life and then when I survived, I saw the text on the wall "Enter your grave" and was like.."Oh.."

Ravelle
14-04-2012, 11:50 AM
haha yeah, my first tactic was to get inside the wallgaps the skeletons came from and fight them one at a time, but I missed them too much and kept dying.

Tei
14-04-2012, 12:32 PM
This game make me feel proud of myself, except wen I have to look a puzzle in Youtube. Yesterday I was out of food, and fighting... and I was doing all the nice moves (strafing and all) to be effective in combat. Its cool, me.

Blackcompany
14-04-2012, 02:14 PM
Fantastic game. Absolutely loving it so far. Immersive, haunting atmosphere. Tactical combat. Challenging puzzles that remain reasonable. Granted I am not very far into it - work and a cold bug have kept me from playing as much as I'd hoped - but so far I love this game. Its a nice break from the endless desire of developers to make you a god by level 10, to enter into this world, where a rock to throw at enemies is a precious commodity early in the game. Highly recommend this game to anyone prepared to deal with the only major imperfection - the control scheme. If you can get around that, and I think mostly you can, the game is a steal, especially given the price point.

apricotsoup
14-04-2012, 02:29 PM
Well, I realy don't like these crabs D:

Fruppy
14-04-2012, 04:29 PM
This game make me feel proud of myself, except wen I have to look a puzzle in Youtube. Yesterday I was out of food, and fighting... and I was doing all the nice moves (strafing and all) to be effective in combat. Its cool, me.

So far I did not need to resort to youtube or any other guidance; haven't stumbled on anything hard to figure out. Well, to be honest, I can't open all of those iron doors, so I just move on xD...

I always feel so proud when I find secret items. The game really makes you greatful for everything you find.

Anthile
14-04-2012, 04:48 PM
There's so many puzzles, teleporters and holes to jump through, it's basically Portal with swords.

apricotsoup
14-04-2012, 09:01 PM
So, I've spent a few more hours on it and seem to have a nasty headache.
Not entirely sure if grimrock is the cause but I have my suspicions that the movement and walls may have a little to do with it. Not gotten a headache from gaming from any other game for quite a long time now.

Anyone else having similar problems? Oo

Drake Sigar
14-04-2012, 09:39 PM
Nope. I'm prone to headaches for prolonged periods of gaming, but I can (and have) played Grimrock all day without any trouble.

Anthile
14-04-2012, 10:49 PM
I made it to the 8th floor but I actually started a new game, mainly because of the the nagging feeling of playing with a suboptimal party. It's not that I had big problems with fights but I underestimated the importance of dexterity and some other, smaller details that just weren't right. Surprisingly enough, my mace-swinging insectoid fighter turned out to be a lot more durable than the minotaur fighter. Also, earth magic is 100% worthless.

Wolfenswan
15-04-2012, 01:22 AM
Also, earth magic is 100% worthless.

LIES. I beat the game with an earth/ice mage and the second earth attack spell is amazing. Even more so when powered up.

Duckee
15-04-2012, 03:01 AM
Completed it on hard! Quite enjoyable, though I used quite a bit of hints because I was going cross eyed staring at walls. I always tried to find the solution for 15 minutes before I decided to cheat though. Quite enjoyable game, but it tends to get a bit easier when you start learning how to kite properly. Also, some more textures would be nice on the walls.

Fair warning though, when you are nearing your last encounter be sure to leave NO loose ends as the game just ends. Not that it matters, but for those of you who are completionist I am sure this is a nice tip.

LIES. I beat the game with an earth/ice mage and the second earth attack spell is amazing. Even more so when powered up.
I guess it depends on how you manage your party. I did not max out any trees, least of all with the mage and went a bit everything. All you really need is ice bolt and elemental shields. Well, thats what I did. Found it to be very handy when dealing with traps and rooms with a lot of elemental attack mobs.

sabrage
15-04-2012, 03:28 AM
Earth helps a great deal vs those annoying-ass poisons.

Flint
15-04-2012, 08:47 AM
What's the deal with the treasures? Are they just collectibles for the sake of it or is there a reason I should be sacrificing my precious inventory space for carrying them with me?

Ravelle
15-04-2012, 10:51 AM
What's the deal with the treasures? Are they just collectibles for the sake of it or is there a reason I should be sacrificing my precious inventory space for carrying them with me?

Yeah, I found a gem but this game isn't diablo and have no option to socket them anywhere.

Drake Sigar
15-04-2012, 11:01 AM
The gem isn't a treasure. It's used for... something else. :)

According to GameBanshee, the gold treasures do nothing except count towards your game's completion statistics. I don't know if they're talking about Steam achievements or what, because I don't remember any statistics.

Anthile
15-04-2012, 11:14 AM
Yes, I thought the second poison spell was good too but then I got my hands on the fireball spell which deals over 200 damage while taking roughly the same amount of energy to cast.

Flint
15-04-2012, 11:23 AM
Fireball's fun but I'm currently loving ice bolt. May not deal as much damage but freezing enemies is incredibly fun (and useful for the rogue's backstabbing). Especially when you freeze them in front of a trap.

I'm still on my first walkthrough, have had to take some extended breaks due to other business but back on track now. At the moment going through level 9 and I've managed to sort out my party tactics rather nicely. Two warriors in front (one swords, one maces), rogue at the back throwing things and backstabbing via the reach skill, and a fire/ice mage doing the heavy damage and support. Got the super special sword from the vault and generally doing rather swell in terms of equipment, just wondering whether I've already missed the best mace or not. Generally, still loving the heck out of the game.

Also found that secret stairway from level 6 or 7 or so that leads to a closed door I can't get open. I think I'm just going to skip it - I spoiled the secret for myself and found that it leads to some really challenging combat scenario, and as much I find the game enjoyable I don't find the combat so fun that I could be arsed to backtrack for some super challenging fight.

Anthile
15-04-2012, 11:52 AM
Yeah, I know that door and I managed to open it. Basically, you get teleported into a room surrounded by about 20-30 of those small green critters and I do mean surrounded - you can't move to any side and whenever you kill a monster, another one takes it place immediately so you can't move, ever. This means the back of your party dies very fast and your front gets slowly gnawed to death.
How that is even remotely possible, I do not know, but it's labeled as challenge and completely optional.

Drake Sigar
15-04-2012, 12:05 PM
Use the damage bombs (fire/lightning) to help clear the way and back yourself into a corner. Admittedly that part requires some luck, but if you've given the back row a healing potion each, they should be fine.

Setroc
15-04-2012, 12:08 PM
Spoilertext

Here's how I did it:

I have two tanky fighters up front, and put all of my best armour on the left one. I think had one fighter and my back row assassin drink berserker potions (the one which increases attack power and reduces dodge), and also had a bunch of health pots prepared. On porting into the room, I fight my way forward and into a corner as quickly as possible. It's just possible to move forward through them if you spam the forward button continuously while fighting but even so sometimes the mob will move into the place before you do. The berserker pots helped me get into the corner very quickly, but even so the mage got completely pasted and only got off a couple of casts before dying. The assassin just survived by the time I got to the corner, so I moved him to the side that wasnt recieving any damage, while the fighter in the best armour was taking attacks from 2 sides, and the fighter in the secondary set of armour was taking damage just from the front. At that point it was just a matter of drinking health pots while chopping them down. With one seriously beefed up fighter taking 3/4 of all hits it really wasnt so bad from that point on. The reward is a very nice shield.

Wolfenswan
15-04-2012, 12:34 PM
How that is even remotely possible, I do not know, but it's labeled as challenge and completely optional.

I managed it by:
Coming back a few levels later, drinking speed&rage potions, spamming poison clouds until my mage died, then throwing lightning bottles and hacking away. My rogue had his life leech dagger by then which kept him alive and when I managed to get into a corner the battle was half won.

apricotsoup
15-04-2012, 05:13 PM
Just finished floor 10, seems like my party is on the verge of starvation constantly, always some of my party going hungry which gimps damage quite a lot.

Duckee
15-04-2012, 05:46 PM
Just finished floor 10, seems like my party is on the verge of starvation constantly, always some of my party going hungry which gimps damage quite a lot.

There is at least 1 area with respawning mobs that drop food. It is in the hunting grounds where those blue dinosaurs are.

Merelia
15-04-2012, 06:13 PM

What difficulty is everybody playing on? On normal I am drowning in food soon enough I will have to start throwing some away because of weight.

And I just did the teleporting maze room on floor 6 at first I thought I was just stupid but then after about 5-10 minutes I noticed the button on one of the walls. I cursed the developers at that moment. Sneaky bastards.

apricotsoup
15-04-2012, 07:20 PM
What difficulty is everybody playing on? On normal I am drowning in food soon enough I will have to start throwing some away because of weight.

And I just did the teleporting maze room on floor 6 at first I thought I was just stupid but then after about 5-10 minutes I noticed the button on one of the walls. I cursed the developers at that moment. Sneaky bastards.

Normal, food really started to dry up around level 9 for me. Before then I never thought it would be an issue at all.

[Edit] Finished :]
A lovely experience but I'm happy to be able to put it down, there was at least one place where sudden mobs rubbing up against the side of my party tried to make my heart jump out of my chest and run for cover beneath the closest duvet.

LTK
15-04-2012, 10:01 PM

Yeah, that was vile. I resorted to mapping everything in the 5x5 square, until I came to the conclusion that there had to be a secret button on one of the walls or it was impossible to complete.

Regarding food, I only started to feel the squeeze of hunger when I was on the final two or three floors. Food really becomes a scarcity around there, but you'll probably have saved up enough food to make it through, so there's no reason to hoard it excessively.

Anthile
15-04-2012, 10:47 PM
Goddamn smurf velociraptors. Sneaky as hell.

trjp
16-04-2012, 01:42 AM
Hmmm...Going to have to take a good long look at that. Since the moving teleporters bring objects back to the entrance, I'm guessing that it's got a lot to do with timing your throw?

That room pissed me off enormously because on my 2nd or 3rd attempt I managed to pass 'through' a teleporter by moving at the same time it did - so I assumed this was the solution and spent fucking ages trying to fathom it out.

Of course it was just a bug - sloppy programming which allowed one (actually 2 in total) freak chances of missing the teleporter.

The solution wasn't hard to work out thereafter but that one-off bit of crappy work wasted a good 10-15 mins of my time and wore-down my patience (and respect for the developers) by a goodly amount.

Also I don't buy this "planning to implement shortcuts" nonsense - it should either have been there at the start or it's not needed. They chose to leave a lot of this 'classic' (too much IMO - but horses for courses) and they should stick with it. Changing stuff later is the sign of a fool.

Ravelle
16-04-2012, 11:57 AM
I almost shat my pants when I opened a door that was full of Spiders and their incubating eggs, I thought that if I let the gate open and pick them off one by one I can manage but one spider sneaked up on me, didn't even hear him and suddenly he launched at my face, killing my entire party.

trjp
16-04-2012, 03:30 PM
I almost shat my pants when I opened a door that was full of Spiders and their incubating eggs, I thought that if I let the gate open and pick them off one by one I can manage but one spider sneaked up on me, didn't even hear him and suddenly he launched at my face, killing my entire party.

After you conquer that room there's a triumph of crappy design over common sense to figure out - drove me nuts, it did.

wuwul
18-04-2012, 10:23 AM
I found the first level pretty bad.

Graphics are bland and primitive, the "puzzles" aren't really fun (mostly due to the ultra-boring environment) and their difficulty is mostly due to interface, combat is an exercise of whack-a-mole over the cooldown buttons of 4 players, magic seems to have an absurd system where you need to remember of sequence of clicks on a grid (and do that as fast as possible since the game is not paused), and the game's default party starts me with 3 melee characters, but only 2 can actually fight because the 3rd has to be in the back row.

Does it somehow get better, or is the game as terrible as it seems?

GraveyardJimmy
18-04-2012, 10:26 AM
the game's default party starts me with 3 melee characters, but only 2 can actually fight because the 3rd has to be in the back row.

Hint: Find a weapon with reach.

Wolfenswan
18-04-2012, 12:31 PM
Or read the skill descriptions properly. The third is a rogue and has several ways to reach from back a little later on.

Puzzles don't really get going up until the third or fourth level.

Ritashi
18-04-2012, 12:36 PM

Graphics are bland and primitive, the "puzzles" aren't really fun (mostly due to the ultra-boring environment) and their difficulty is mostly due to interface, combat is an exercise of whack-a-mole over the cooldown buttons of 4 players, magic seems to have an absurd system where you need to remember of sequence of clicks on a grid (and do that as fast as possible since the game is not paused), and the game's default party starts me with 3 melee characters, but only 2 can actually fight because the 3rd has to be in the back row.

1) That rogue can also train throwing and missile weapons. Throwing weapons come early, bows come... well, they come eventually, and reach weapons can be found around the second floor iirc. Fun fact, ranged damage is purely based on Strength, not Dex. Just a heads up.

2) You're doing it wrong. Combat in this game is mostly about positioning. You need a strong mental map of the area where you intend to fight, as you won't have time to turn and check mid-fight and a wrong move could end with you trapped and dead. As you play it more you'll start finding harder and harder fights, and you'll understand why you can't just sit and eat your enemies' attacks. Strafing to dodge is a huge mechanic in this game. Hitting your abilities on cooldown is way less important that just selecting which abilities are important and getting off what damage you can while conserving energy on your party members with vital abilities (having enough for an extra ice bolt or a strong attack with a weapon can save you from otherwise certain death in some situations). Also you have to remember to use potions effectively - you'll want to use them as you need them, but you'll also need to conserve certain potions that have rare ingredients. Basically, the combat is way more complex than it seems on the surface, especially as you're essentially performing three vital tasks - moving, attacking, and keeping track of your resources - all at the same time.

3) The puzzles do improve. The early puzzles are boring and simple, but the later ones can and will throw you for a loop from time to time. For the most part the solutions are relatively apparent once you've figured them out, but they can be quite challenging while actually working on them. Most of the puzzles (though by no means all) rely on you noticing some extra element that make them solvable, but what that element is exactly varies. Sometimes it's a switch on the wall, sometimes you run around looking for any possible switch or torch slot only to realize that what you actually had to do was just see that you could throw a rock at a pressure plate. Sometimes it's something else entirely. Overall, I thought at first that the puzzles were too easy, but I've since learned better. Particularly since there are several secrets I know that I have completely missed due to not being able to figure out how to access them.

4) The graphics are what they are. Personally, I like them, but to each his own. There are different walls later on though.

5) The magic system is based on a 3x3 grid of runes that each represent an element. In order: Fire, Life, Air, Spirituality, Balance, Physicality, Earth, Death, Ice. They're described in the manual. Knowing them, it's possible to figure out new spells you learn without needing to find a scroll to teach you, which is nice. You get used to the rune system, and it works pretty well overall, imo. It flows pretty well in combat once you get used to it.

trjp
18-04-2012, 12:41 PM

You're new here aren't you (gaming that is - new to gaming)??

One hint only - you can swap players around anytime you like as well as use their skills...

Harlander
18-04-2012, 12:43 PM
It took me ages to figure out that, though you can't throw stuff through gratings, you can set it down through them. A 'puzzle' requiring mastery of this technique stymied me for longer than I care to admit.

Vexing Vision
18-04-2012, 12:47 PM
Yeah, one of the reasons I want to play this again is that NOW I know what I was missing on level 2 of the dungeon when I saw that pressure plate behind the grate.

I finished it the other night. Brilliant, utterly brilliant - like a love-declaration to Bloodwych and Dungeon Master, with enough modern stuff to make the whole experience very smooth. At least for me.

trjp
18-04-2012, 12:47 PM
It took me ages to figure out that, though you can't throw stuff through gratings, you can set it down through them. A 'puzzle' requiring mastery of this technique stymied me for longer than I care to admit.

Drove me nuts too - I don't even remember the classic games being QUITE that obtuse...

Anthile
18-04-2012, 12:58 PM
Oddly enough, slimes can attack you through grates as I found out with my second party. That really makes the slime area you can reach from level 3 a lot more difficult that it has to be.
Also, still disappointed by the magic system and mages in general. The selection of spells is very small and there are next to no utility spells like healing or something that generates food. For the most part mage feels more like a liability and he only shines against stacks, which are neither common nor particularly dangerous. I would have been better off with another rogue.

Harlander
18-04-2012, 02:29 PM
Ohhh man, I totally missed any kind of slime area on 3, and now I can't go back up a level because the area by the stairs one floor up is crowded with those little bastard green crawling thingies.

Flint
18-04-2012, 04:53 PM
Ohhh man, I totally missed any kind of slime area on 3, and now I can't go back up a level because the area by the stairs one floor up is crowded with those little bastard green crawling thingies.
If it's the floor I'm thinking of (the puzzle floor with scrolls?), there's a room right next to the stairs with a healing crystal. With a liberal use of bombs etc you could perhaps get to the crystal near the stairs for quick healing and resurrection. Or simply cheesily go up and down the stairs, whacking things before retreating again.

Kaira-
18-04-2012, 06:29 PM
Quick question - I am on level 2, but I haven't found any maps or anything to use for mapping (other than my trusty papers). Have I missed something?

ColOfNature
18-04-2012, 06:34 PM
If you've turned off automapping then you have to use real-life pen'n'paper - there's no in-game way of keeping track, except for a compass for orienting yourself. If you didn't turn it off Tab should open the in-game map.

Kaira-
18-04-2012, 06:35 PM
And here I thought I had missed some item to map in-game... well, good to know now. Do I feel stupid now. Thanks.

Ninjafoodstuff
18-04-2012, 07:14 PM
Those bastard spiders.

I haven't been scared playing a game in years.

Winged Nazgul
20-04-2012, 01:28 PM
We have pushed the patch to Steam, GOG and our own store and it should be available once the distributors have done their magic, hopefully within 24 hours.

http://www.grimrock.net/2012/04/20/patch-1-1-4-released/

Nox
20-04-2012, 02:36 PM
Quick hint to anyone who wants to have an archer in the party: bows and crossbows always hit, hence proper archer is pure strenght and vitality.

Strange_guy
20-04-2012, 07:52 PM
Quick hint to anyone who wants to have an archer in the party: bows and crossbows always hit, hence proper archer is pure strenght and vitality.

Except when you have enemies in formation and have wiped out all the ones on the side the archer is on, which is the only time the side party members are on has seemed to matter- but there could easily be more. That appears to be always miss, so his point stands. It is rather unintuitive that dex is irrelevant to archers attack, but you can see why. It's still a useful defensive stat so maybe you should discount it entirely.

Fumarole
21-04-2012, 06:49 AM
It took me ages to figure out that, though you can't throw stuff through gratings, you can set it down through them. A 'puzzle' requiring mastery of this technique stymied me for longer than I care to admit.It took me a loooong time to figure out what was up with the tapestries, I'm not quite shamed enough to refrain from admitting. Here are my stats from playing hardcore while mapping by hand, with item descriptions turned off

http://i1250.photobucket.com/albums/hh538/Fumarole/LoGstats.jpg

Ninjafoodstuff
21-04-2012, 10:01 AM
It took me a loooong time to figure out what was up with the tapestries, I'm not quite shamed enough to refrain from admitting. Here are my stats from playing hardcore while mapping by hand, with item descriptions turned off
Strange that the game rewards you for falling into pits.

EDIT: Also, I assume "unarmed attacks" translates to "clicked the wrong button"

Fumarole
21-04-2012, 03:22 PM
Strange that the game rewards you for falling into pits.
Yeah, my old gamer instinct of avoiding pits is probably why I missed so many secrets; mostly at the beginning of the game before I accidentally fell into a pit that had a secret and the light bulb went off. Then I couldn't be arsed to trek all the way back to verify every pit. I did some, but not all.

EDIT: Also, I assume "unarmed attacks" translates to "clicked the wrong button"Quite, usually in a panic when something leaps at my face unexpectedly.

squareking
22-04-2012, 02:25 AM
I have so much hatred for level 5.

Ninjafoodstuff
26-04-2012, 12:14 AM
I'm now about 6 hours in to the game, and a lot of it is really starting to grate on my nerves. The problem that I have is that most of the "challenge" is really just fighting against the UI as opposed to making smart choices.

I was kind of ok with the time-based levers, but find it a bit absurd that you have to type aae in order to circle an enemy then right click a bunch of times, then aae and so on. There are no hotkeys for attack, and the fact that you are punished for clicking the wrong button (you go into cooldown if you have no reach, really?) seems a bit daft.

The stats are mostly meaningless, it doesn't seem to matter what you do, you will get beaten down unless you resort to kiting, and this aspect of it is really ruining my enjoyment of this otherwise awesome game.

mtrc
26-04-2012, 12:38 PM
I feel your pain, Ninjafood, but I think a lot of those mechanics add richness to the stats behind the RPG aspects. Without the cooldown, the movement, and so on, things like speed and accuracy wouldn't matter as much. Plus, it becomes a game with a dexterity aspect, just like many games. It's not as heavy as an action RPG, but it's still a big flightier than a TBS.

I'm on floor... 5? I think. The tileset's changed, for sure. I've missed opening one door in particular that irritated me, but other than that I think I'm doing okay secret-wise. The magic is frustrating to cast quickly, but it feels like that is mostly intentional. I have just seen a crab thing through some grates and I am not feeling great about proceeding...

Lovely game though. Like the way it handled party management compactly, how they move as one unit. I missed out on the game's spiritual predecessors, so this is a nice introduction.

Drake Sigar
26-04-2012, 01:03 PM
So apparently if you find the bones of the guy leaving you messages, throw them at a save crystal, and hear a sigh or relief, you can play as him when you start a new game. Just enter his name and he should self-generate.

mtrc
26-04-2012, 01:06 PM
Ah, is that related to an achievement? I remember seeing something about helping him.

Drake Sigar
26-04-2012, 01:18 PM
No idea. I just tried it and Toorum starts as a ranger with a few levels under his belt. He's also wicked fast, which somewhat makes up for him not having any other party members.

mtrc
26-04-2012, 01:35 PM
Oh, it's a one-man party? Haha. Man.

Ninjafoodstuff
26-04-2012, 02:22 PM
That's actually pretty cool.

oceanclub
26-04-2012, 05:57 PM

Given that arrows are so rare, is there any point to putting points into archery rather than thrown, where you can re-collect any used ammo?

P.

Drake Sigar
26-04-2012, 06:00 PM
You can re-collect any arrows you fire just fine too.

Inverselaw
26-04-2012, 06:16 PM
you can also enchant arrows for added damage. Frankly you get more bolts and arrows then any one given type of trown weapon so you run out mid fight less.

Ninjafoodstuff
26-04-2012, 07:18 PM
you can also enchant arrows for added damage. Frankly you get more bolts and arrows then any one given type of trown weapon so you run out mid fight less.

But there's also the downside you can't have a backup weapon equipped.

ColOfNature
26-04-2012, 07:30 PM
I was really hoping they'd add a quick-equipment-switch function in the patch so I could quickly swap my bow for an alternate loadout. Maybe next time...